Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XIII
on: December 21, 2007 01:56
SWABBY: Beside what a good leader should do for his job which is being well informed and knowledgeable about the world, he should have imagination,he should love books especialy Tolkien, poetry,paintings,he should be an elf or a hobbit,he must love gardening and cooking, and tea he should have a great understanding and comprehension of the world,have good manners, be polite, smile and laugh a lot, all this while trying to save this beautiful earth.Well do you have anybody in mind?
Bruno loves treats.He has one before he goes to bed and during the day when he is a good boy which is very often lol!

AWELYN:You are not boring at all.What a beautiful and fun Christmas tradition thanks for sharing:heart:

CALLE: I received your card today Thanks a lot:heart:

Have a nice evening everyone
Dimple:heart:
mayrhi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 06:41
To all you wonderful souls of FoF I send blessings for the festive season...this is another flyby posting!!!

Have been madly job-hunting both in person and on-line.
Having to respond to some of the selection criteria has put my creative writing skills to use...isn't language both a wonderful and terrible thing?

Haven't been able to read all the posts, but I wish for you all good health, much wealth and great joy for you and your families - hope you all survive the holidays with you sanity intact..if that wish is too late then don't suffer...you are not alone!
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 08:15
Well everything is ready for our trip to PA tomorrow. We will be going to see my parents, then hubby's family and then my daughter-in-law and oldest grandson who turns 11 Christmas day. It will be a full day. We're taking my car so I will be doing the driving. I love Christmas and would love to visit much longer. But you learn to make the time you have count and make it quality time. It will be strange not being there on Christmas day with the whole family.

HT, Glad your Mum is improving. Hope you have a happy and nice holiday together.

Hubby gave me one present early. I think he just didn't want to wrap this one. Anyhow, it is a toy plastic Anduil (Aragorn's sword). Now I can safely practice sword moves. I must say, that is one long sword. No, of course, I am not thinking what you think on this, lol. :naughty:

By the way, should we take those swords to ALEP, MT? Hope you get out and have some fun with your friends. This time of year is so busy and I imagine those dear young orclins are wound up and full of extra energy. I absolutely loved the photo you sent in the card. I showed it to hubby and a couple of friends and said this is my friend in Alabama.

Oh Brandy, how awful to go through all that because of a reaction. Hope you find some relief for your sinuses that does not have adverse reactions. That is wonderful that your children will all be home for Christmas.

Calle, good to hear from you. I received your lovely card. I look at the ones from overseas and think about how far they traveled to get here.

Neenime, received your card as well, thank you, it was so cute.

Rose, I checked out the Realm Digest thingy. I really enjoyed reading the articles. Did not have time to read them all yet but will do so later. Do you have lots of gold on your Christmas tree? I heard dragons love the stuff.

Awelyn, don't worry. I may be busy but I go at my own pace and have fun with it. I've really enjoyed the holiday preparations this year. I keep the Christmas music playing loudly or maybe a Christmas movie while I wrapped gifts. You sound like you are excited like me about ALEP. I think about it often and how perfect it was that we could be room mates. Divine intervention, who knows.

Dimple that is good to hear you do that also. You brighten that bus driver's day with your smile. If only more people would try that.

Leadership qualities....ummm, I would say honest, fair, wise, just and good moral standards for starters. My brain is too tired to think more at the moment, Swabby. Good luck with all your holiday preparations.

Well had better get off to sleep. I'm getting up early tomorrow morning and a long day ahead. Take care and have a great weekend. Love and hugs.

Starkindler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2007 04:45
Well, I've just quickly logged on to share some rather sad news: our faithful dog ("Bobby") passed away this morning. He was Border Collier cross spaniel. He was nearly 15 years old and was really part of the family. He helped teach my 12 year old to walk when she was a toddler (she'd crawl up to his side, grad a couple of handfuls of fur and pull herself up to standing position, and place her hands on his back. Bobby would slowly walk forward, and she would side-side step to keep up with him). There are many other memories. Poor old dog had cataracts, was going deaf and had quite severe arthritis in his back legs. After the children said their good-byes, we (just myself and husband as none of the children wanted to come) took him for a 20 minute drive out of the city to a rural block we own, and buried him under a tree. We've all had a good cry, and bought takeaway noodles for evening meal. Must go, it's after midnight, my time and I'm playing keyboard tomorrow morning at church for my eldest daughter (will mainly be Christmas Carols). It will be a nice Christmas for us, even though it will be tinged with sadness. It's not so bad when I consider my friend is facing her first Christmas after losing her husband to leukemia a couple of months ago: her daughter is one of my 16 yr old's daughter's friends. Sorry for being a bit of a 'damp rag'. If I don't get a chance to come on before Christmas, please take care and enjoy whatever festivities you celebrate: life is too short sometimes.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2007 05:08
My son's get-together with friends went well and they didn't make too big of a mess. Well, there are all those empty pizza boxes that don't fit in the trash cans, but I guess I can stomp 'em up.

I do like your attitude, Awelyn. It is possible for one person to make a difference.

I agree with your assessment of proper leadership qualities, Dimple, but I don't have anyone in mind. It certainly shouldn't be me because I'd probably ban football and nipple rings, thereby alienating half the people. I'd do a couple things, though, that I know would be good. I'd take fast and meaningful action to ween this planet off of fossil fuel and make all the oil companies convert their operations to the brewing of beer and ale. All manufacturers of bombs and other war materials would have to switch to making more efficient kitchen appliances and self-cleaning bathroom fixtures. I would be flexible, however, and might let some them become bakers or musical instrument-makers.

As far as I know, I'm oblivious to the movement of planets and solstices, equinoxes, etc. I tend to welcome each changing season and enjoy them for what they are. I did hate having to be on those ships for long periods of time, though, where my whole world consisted of grey metal and artificial light. No trees, grass or soil. In some ways, it always felt like a prison sentence and I would be very aware of the many months of my life that would just disappear while I was on there. Dead time, like having to hold your breath under water. If you feel something like that, Cirdaneth, then I can certainly relate to your feelings.

Have fun with that new sword, Mith.

It's a dreary Saturday and I need to figure out what to do today. Later, Swabby

Late entry: From one damp rag to another, Starkindler, don't hesitate to share your sorrows with us. I'm very sorry for your loses and hope comfort will come to you.

[Edited on 22/12/2007 by swabbythewhite]
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 22, 2007 07:31
Swabby ,thank you kind sir. Pizza boxes are a pain to get rid of. It is a dreary day here too. I am going to the movies I think and see August Rush or I am Legend. Then I am going to shop and wrap presents.

Starkindler, I just lost a beloved pet the day before Thanksgiving. It is so painful at times I find her toys and have a good cry. I have other pets so it makes it a little easier. I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved pet. You have a happy holiday too.

Mith, you sound like you are going to have so much fun. Have a great time visiting and eating and just enjoying family. Be careful while driving you know there are crazy drivers on the road.

Mayrhi Merry Christmas and when you have time and your sanity intact come back and visit again. Oh , what is the definition of sanity anyway. It was good to read your post. Take care.

Dimple you make my day. I always smile when I read your post. Joyeux Noel I hope I got that right. One day I would love to learn French.

cirdaneth what a thoughtful thing to do. I love hearing about your village. I feel like I am there with you. Take care.:heart:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2007 12:20
Well we got a few more inches of snow on thursday so now it is just 4 inches in the valley though the passes have a few feet of snow on the roads.

Begin gripe:

If I could change just one thing about the current world it would be that banks have to get written permission from the account holder or their cloest kin before closing any bank account.
US Bank closed my checking account in October then charged me over $300 US in fees without notifying me of it. Needless to say if I could change that situation I would but they didn't accept my change of address that the US Post office sent them nor did they accept my over the phone confirmation of that address change....:banghead: like I should walk more then a hundred miles in the snow to one of their banks in Bend just to change my address on my account.:banghead: I now have bad credit and can't even get a savings account or cash the check that Jackie sent me for Christmas.

End gripe!

Well must get home soon to see if the water pipes have thawed yet... part of winter that... Thank God I can get water out of the pipe at the Twhere it first comes out of the ground!
Cat carrying jugs of water into the house through the snow, Lol!

Thanks to everyone who sent Cards virtual and real...and kind thoughts this season!
I am to messed up to figure out the ecard thingy so
Please remember your Loved...
it is not absene of thought that left your box shy of a card just my own online incompitence.
:love: :hug: et:
Will be back on thursday or sometime next week!

Must now go play Snow Elf [just walking home from the library... really].
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: December 22, 2007 01:13
Oh Cat! What is the matter with these people? They should get a life!

Well, everyone, I'm not sending cards or even e-cards, but my Christmas gift to you all is a video I discovered tonight on YouTube. It is a delight. Full of joy and skill. The song is "I Like Myself" ... but it's the dancing that'll knock your socks off. Just click here, sit back and enjoy.
Starkindler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 03:11
just reading vicarcat's comments about ice, snow and cold ... This afternoon at about 4pm we were literally dripping sweat whilst sitting 'under the house' with friends watching the kids in the pool AND it was lightly raining ... at least we are getting some rain during summer this year ... it has been drier than normal for nearly two decades where I live in Australia. It feels like we will have a tropical summer, instead of the usual 'just hot' summer. A couple of years ago, Christmas day was 40 C and 80% humidity ... talk about feeling like 'roasted turkeys'. ... I still remember a white Christmas that I had when I was an exchange student to the northern hemisphere: i was 17 ... It all seemed magical to me .
Thank you for your kind words regarding Bobby the dog. One daughter's cockatiel departed into the wild blue yonder about 6 weeks ago. Fortunately we still have two budgies (only one is tame) and a house cat (manx). The three fresh water turtles aren't very 'huggable' although we can see differences between them (individual behaviours). It helps to have some other pets to distract .. Must go to bed as I'm working for half a day tomorrow (Monday 24th Dec), and then we have our big family get-together on Christmas eve (usually 40+ people) at my brother's home this year ... we hosted it 3 years ago. Take care.:love:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 04:16
I'm glad to hear that your mum is recuperating, HT. It seems that hospitals are not a good place for sick folk. Enjoy your time off from work.

Folk over 40 shouldn't be able to throw-up. It hurts too much! What a horrible thing to happen to you, brandywine. Be careful. Your reaction next time could be worse! I'm glad that you're better for the visit with family and friends. Enjoy this special time.

Thanks for the prayers, calle. I feel God's presence with us and through your prayers.
I did have fun on Friday night. Although the band was pretty bad, I did have fun on the dance floor. :disco:

Hope that you have all your preparations for Christmas done, morwin, so that you can relax and enjoy.

Your prayers are appreciated, rose. It means alot to know that others care about you and yours. :hug:
I can only imagine a dragon family get-together. What fun!!

Joyeux Noel and bonne annee, Dimple. Ca va???

Thanks for your encouraging words, swabby. They do help. You are an angel in disguise. :angel:

Thanks for the comments on my pic, awelyn. It feels like I'm sending myself to you. It was taken at the Louisiana ren fest. The photographer has become a friend. She makes having your picture taken so much fun! Wouldn't having her at ALEP be alot of fun???

Seems as if you ARE living in the Shire, Cirdaneth. Take heart, my friend. Tears can be a gift. Let them out when you feel the need.

Good luck and best wishes on your job search, mayrhi.

A sword, mith? What a great hubby your have!:love: Does your Andruil make clanging sounds?? I think it would be alot of fun for us to bring our plastic swords and Ara-babies to ALEP. Imagine the possibilities!!! :disco:

I am sorry to hear of your loss, starkindler. It's good to share our joys and sorrows and this is a great place to do so. May you find a bit of comfort and peace.

Stay warm and hydrated, vicarcat.

I'm driving my dad to meet my brother at the "mid-way point" between our homes. It's a 3 hour drive to reach the point where we conduct the "dad exchange". I enjoy riding with dad on long distances.

Have a blessed Sunday, dear ones!

MT
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 06:11
Maybe it's time for you to voice your displeasure by getting a new bank, Cat. Shame on them for charging you such exorbitant fees for that! Don't you have a half-elf that could wrap up those pipes for you?

I hope that three-hour drive was a pleasant one, MT. I also hope that calmer seas will soon prevail in your life.

We had some roller coaster weather yesterday. It was a balmy 70 degrees F about 2:00 pm and people were out riding their motorcycles, then a cold front came through and within four hours the temps dropped to freezing and it started snowing. I haven't been outside yet today, but it looks sunny and clear.

Dimple, I remember my dad talking about two dogs he had when he was a kid. One was named "Tike" and the other was "Bruno". He said he heard some yelping one day, and when he looked outside, he saw Tike running for the house with a wolf nipping at his tail. Of course he immediately picked up his gun and shot at the wolf, scaring it off but not hitting it. I'll bet your Bruno is much more brave than that.

I remember it being warm enough to go swimming on New Years day, 1970 when I was stationed in Florida, Starkindler.

We're planning to go see "Sweeny Todd" today, so it's time for me to start cracking the whip on the rest of the clan.

Have a great Sunday, Swabby
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 07:48
Weather a bit brighter here today. It's 5:45pm here and I'm just getting ready to walk up to the carol service. I think my new neighbours are in residence and hope they will walk up with me. I can introduce them to folks over the mince pies and mulled wine afterwards.

Have cooked a turkey-breast and a pork loin today, and will slice and freeze in single helpings. I always do that at Christmas. It gives me a feeling of doing holiday cooking, even though there are no guests.

Well ... better go and take my rollers out and get a bit of lippy on. See you all later. :hug:
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 07:59
Seasons Greetings to all!
Just dropped by to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, a peaceful Yule and a wonderful New Year - just in case I don't get on line again!
I am up to the neck in baking and kids, and I am loving every minute of it. I am also finishing off some Osgiliath model buildings for my boys, who use them in their LOTR Warhammer games, but that is relaxation for me.

I loved the Curulinde stories Tom, my boys are LOTRO fanatics too, so I am well versed in role play gaming now! Their characters are an Elf Guardian and a Man Captain, and I am pretty tired today as I was cheering them and their kinship on during an Ettenmoors raid that went on until 2am! I have written detailed biographies for their characters too, great fun! Nice to meet another LOTRO enthusiast!

I hold this year special as making a lot of new wonderful friends, bless you all and peace be with you and your families.
Lots of love and hugs to all of you :hug:

Arienelle

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 06:25
Wanted to post tonight as I may not have time tomorrow and Christmas Day since we are leaving for CA the morning of the 26th.

We had such wonderful visits with family yesterday. We were blessed with dry weather and clear roads. Probably a good thing since I tend to speed a bit. But kept it under 80 mph for the most part and went along with the flow of traffic. Well, alright, the faster flow.

It was the first time hubby's small family had been together in years. I was nearly in tears I was so touched when I opened one of my gifts from his family...their family Bible!

We had a lovely visit with my parents. Actually enjoy the time with them so much more when there is not all the chaos of other family members. But I will miss seeing my sisters and some other family that gathers there on Christmas Day.

Grandson Kris was all dressed up and ready for Grandma and Grandpa. He had a new hairstyle and that enhanced his already good looks. He's such a good kid, well mannered and soft spoken and so thoughtful. Hopefully that will get him through those crazy teen years he will be entering next year! The only sad part was having to leave.

Starkindler, my sympathy for the loss of your dog. It is difficult anytime, let alone during the holidays. Sounds like he led a full life and was such a part of your family. Hope your heart gets some peace with this and you have a blessed Christmas.

Oh, I would love some of those self-cleaning bathroom appliances, Swabby. But even without them, I'd vote for you.

Going to go do exercises while we watch Eastern Promises. Sweetheart of a hubby knows how I love that Viggo and bought the movie for me today.

Well this is short but wanted to say Merry Christmas to all of you and a Happy New Year! I will check in again before we leave if there is time. Goodnight :wave: and blessed holidays to you all. Love and hugs...how about a group hug? :hug:
:heart:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 07:03

a little "holiday" song, sung to the tune of Santa Clause Is Coming To Town

Oh you'd better watch out,
have ropes close at hand
chains might be good to slow down this man.
Santa-gorn is coming to town.

MT is all set,
she's ready this time.
Catching her ranger
will be so sublime!
Santa-gorn is coming to town.

She sees him when she daydreams.
He's in her dreams at night.
Having him right next to her
would be a real delight!

So! No need to stay up.
MT's got her man.
Don't knock on her door,oh please understand!
Santa-gorn is home now, hurray!!!

http://www.img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/melianndoriath/Ara-baby/schoolpix05025.jpg

Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 09:40
Just a quick 'fly by' from the dragon.

So sorry to hear of the passing of your dog, starkindler.

Love your ditty, MT.

Here's a dragon gift for you all. It can be whatever your heart desires. :love:

Warm Christmas hugs to everyone. :hug:

Rose/Dracella/Drusilla the Vampire xx
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2007 05:19
I'm sorry I've been MIA but life has been busy. Nice, but busy. I am hoping to have something very exciting to post later on, but for the meantime, please accept my holiday greetings!

I wanted to send out some sort of holiday greeting to my friends here at FoF, but it is so difficult in today's world to know exactly what to say without offending someone. So I e-mailed my attorney yesterday, and on his advice I wish to say the following:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "America" in the western hemisphere) and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual preference of the wishees.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms:

This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Disclaimer: No trees were harmed in the sending of this message however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.

Holiday Cheer to you all!
Scots

(disclaimer: Unfortunately I didn't write this, but I found it highly amusing)
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2007 08:24
Season's greetings to all! Happy Yule! Merry Christmas!

Scots that was a very clever greeting and I have fired it off to many friends and relatives.

:hug: to all of you who are experiencing loss, illness and other troubles at this time. May you find comfort in friends, in your faith and in the strength of your own indomitable spirit

Brandy that was terrible reaction to the medication. Please make sure that you inform your doctor and your pharmacist, so it can be put on your records. I do hope you're feeling better.

Your conversations about the state of the world and qualities of leadership were very interesting. We can only hope that people of good will shall put their thoughts into action, with Random Acts of Kindness, Nobility and Good Stewardship. That si my wish for the world at this time.

Cool - you've all just given me the focal piece that I need for my prayers and rituals this Yule season. thanks.

Has anyone gone to see The Golden Compass yet? My Ring-Sisters and I saw it on Saturday. really well done. Gorgeous visuals (though more visuals of Daniel Craig, sans all that stuffy academic attire would have been nice. (Sorry, being cheeky there :blush

Then I watched Eastern Promises last night. Yikes! Evil can come in the kindliest-looking packages. Interesting plot turn at the end - kind of heart-wrenching. I say no more. Images of a lean tattooed body are still reverberating in my brain :dizzy:. Yoy - Bozhenku! Hubby is definitely jealous.

Off for the next 8 days, as of 2:45 this afternoon. Will definitely be more available for on-line visiting with all of you.

:hug: for now. TTFN :wave:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 24, 2007 11:14
I'm sorry to hear about your dog, Starkindler.

MTMS, a Santa like that would always be welcome to our house!

Well, I've got everything ready, and started to celebrate a (hopefully) peaceful Christmas.

Now, I only want to wish everybody here A JOYFUL HOLIDAY SEASON!!! :cheers: :hug:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: December 24, 2007 01:59
Yay! It’s midnight in the UK … HAPPY CHRISTMAS!.

I had a magical evening yesterday. The carol service was extra special and the choir has really been working hard under our Maestro and can take on some really difficult stuff. At the very end the choir processed to the back of the church and suddenly all the lights went out and there were candles everywhere, that we hadn’t noticed before. The only electric lights were on the tree and in the crib. Then the choir sang from behind us and it was so wonderful people cried. The atmosphere was very close to what it would have been 700 years ago when the church was built. … and almost as cold! The boiler is very temperamental.

When the lights went up we had mulled wine and mince-pies and stilton cheese and bread. I helped to clear away the glasses afterwards and then walked down the hill in bright moonlight under a sky full of stars, clutching three mince-pies on a paper plate covered with foil.

Silhouetted under a street-lamp I met my friend’s son Robin, waiting for the bus to town. He’s six foot-two and to think I used to pick him up under one arm and tote him off to his bed when he was little. He’s twenty now. Have I really been allowed to live in one place for so long.? It’s like a dream come true. Even in childhood, all I ever wanted was to be allowed to stay … and now I have. Anyway, Robin and I ate a mince-pie each under a full moon and chatted about how annoying Windows Vista is. Then I went home to cocoa and the last mince pie followed by a warm bed. Very satisfying.

So now it’s Christmas and I shall have a small sherry before I turn in. Tomorrow it’s breakfast with Caroline, and dinner with Ann and family. I am truly blessed to have such friends … and to have all of you too.

I still have no land-line and I don’t expect BT will fix it till after Christmas … or even New Year. I shall insist they compensate me! After all, I’m paying for a service I’m not getting. However, my broadband works OK, so I shall have to socialise on-line. Now I’ll go and see what Santa’s brought! Nighty-night and Happy Holidays :hug: :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2007 02:53
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all our European friends.

Cirdaneth the imagery in your story was delightful. Here it is Christmas Eve. Although my family will celebrate in January (according to the Julian calendar), there is a magic in the air. We have candles lit all over the hose and are watching the full moon come up, back lighting the bare branches of trees in our yard.

I am more of a Solstice celebrator, myself. I was leader for our pagan group's Yule service yesterday. It went marvelously. We had a surprisingly good turnout, considering that I expected the traditional evening Christmas service to be the favourite .

Our service incorporated snuffing the light of the Old Year, Turning of the Wheel of the Year and then each participant lighting a candle for the new year from the wheel. We then recited a litany of our many blessings, toasted each other with wassail and sun-shaped cookies and sang great pagan adaptations of many carols. There were stories about sun deities celebrated around the world and a distribution of evergreen sprigs as a symbol of eternity.

Candle-light, good will and music are a marvelous combination.

BLESSINGS OF THE SEASON ON ALL OF YOU.

MAY YOUR OWN INNER LIGHTS NEVER CEASE TO SHINE AND THE WORLD BE BLESSED AND ENRICHED WITH YOUR PRESENCE. :hug::hug::hug:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: December 25, 2007 01:26
Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas :cheers:, thanks to all who sent cards.

I'm having a quiet Christmas with my parents, it's nice though just to relax after all the rushing around at work.

I can't post much as I'm on dial up due to BT messing up my phone and broadband connection once I'm fully back on line I'll post more.

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 12:09
Hello everyone. Hope your Christmas Day was fun and magical. Mine was. We enjoyed our children on Christmas Eve with dinner and gifts and much baby cuddling. It was such fun to watch our grown children receive their grown up gifts. Useful items for home and tools for fixing and making with a few personal items thrown in. It's very early in the morning here, nearly 3:00 a.m. and I've just been woken by the dog who wanted to go out so I'm taking a minute to post.

Callë-Yes I was up in the wee smalls the other night as well.
MTMS-I will remember your in-laws in my prayers as well as your aging friend with throat cancer. How sad for both of them to endure these difficulties.
Swabby and Neenime-Thanks for your concern about the drug reaction. I have alerted both the doctor and the pharmacy about the reaction and they have both added it to my allergy list. Some good has come of it though. I am less hungry and I have discovered Mucinex. It works great and is over the counter.
Awelyn 418-Our grandson did have some Christmas outfits that said my first Christmas. We have some adorable photos of him.
Cirdaneth-Sorry your emotions got the better of you the other day but sometimes we need a good cleansing cry. Your little corner of the Shire sounds like a lovely place to live. God Bless.
Starkindler-So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved, Bobby. I know my husband tells our dog everyday how much he loves him and how much he will miss him if ever anything happens to him. The dog, Yogi, is only 7 but he is beginning to gray, like my husband. Our kids say we love the dog more than them. Not true of course but he is a rather special dog.
Scots-Thouroughly enjoyed your holiday greeting. Very clever. Hope to catch you online or on the phone in the next few days. Much love.
Rose-Much love comes your way too, dear dragon.

That's about it for now. Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to all.
Brandywine
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 05:47
My dearest friends at FOF,

First, I'd like to wish you all the best of the spirit of the holidays and hope that the Valar smile on you in the new year.

Next, I wish to humbly beg pardon for not being here in such a long time. Believe me when I say you truly were in my thoughts and I often wonder what Swabby's son was up to or when I watched the Weather Channel how Scots was faring on the Plains of Gorgoroth or if Mith just north of me was looking out onto an Ohio winter landscape and if my friends in England were getting ready for the season. I also thought of MT any time I sat down to write about a certain ranger....

Life has interfered with my life. In addition to the typical school craziness, we went through a review this year for our school improvement initiatives and, being the site coordinator, I had to spend quite a bit of time with the preparation and I also had a student teacher (bless her heart).

Additionally, my dear friends from college have decided to divorce and it has gotten ugly, as those things often do. I cannot offer either party advise since I have no experience in this area, but I can offer my support and an patient ear.

Also, mortality seems to have made his presence known, which has caused me to spend some time thinking deeply on the meaning of existence and, as Gandalf would say, the time that is given us.

If you will remember, my good friend's father passed away in September from pancreatic cancer, and although she is a shield-maiden, it has been difficult for her, especially during this time of year. Then, on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, our neighbor who used to speed mow his lawn, riding his mower like he was a NASCAR driver, suddenly died, leaving his wife, a very lovely lady, very much alone.

And, probably the most devastating of all, one of our teachers, who had struggled with diabetes related complications for a long time, fell ill at school. Within a week, she had kidney failure, lapsed into a coma, and passed away. The week before Christmas was very difficult for the kids...and the teachers.

From all this, my wish for you, my friends, is to look upon those around you, do not postpone what you would say to them or do for them, and look at your own life---have you done with it what you wanted to do? Don't waste time dwelling on what happened in the past, but look to today as a new beginning and tomorrow as the start of fulfilling all those desires you've allowed negativity to keep you from reaching for. Laugh more; love more; and be courteous to you fellows even though they may be rude and unthinking in return.

I hate to sound trite, so forgive me if I do.

My Christmas cards will be Twelfth Night cards but they will arrive sooner or later with wishes for a cosy winter fire and the promise of the coming spring.

Sindarin Elvish
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 06:25
Hiya my special fof friends. I do hope you all had a very special Christmas. Cirdaneth, I loved your story of your Christmas eve. Yes, feeling a part of something is special isnt it? I am happy that you feel so part of your shire. I know I am so thankful to feel a part of FoF. Its a very special group indeed.
Aw Brandy thats so sweet about your husband telling the dog...I tell my Cocoa everyday how much I love him.
On that note, Starkindler, I am very sorry for your loss. I hope that void is softened with pleasant memories.
Sindy, its so sad when we get surrounded by grief. It does make you have a good look at your own life. May all those around you saddened by their losses find comfort.
My own Christmas was nice. We went to church in the morning then came home and opened gifts and cooked a nice Christmas dinner. We walked the dogs and watched some telly and relaxed. I phoned my sisters and mum in the states and talked to them a bit. That bit was sad as I miss them, but still it was nice to spend time talking to them. This morning my daughter and I went out to see the boxing day sales. We did grab a few bargains.
Morwenna, treasure those quiet times with your parents.
Bless you all and may the new year hold many happy times for us all.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 08:16
I had thought I would stay quiet for another day or two since my seldom-seen creative writing muse has presently taken me over, but I'm so moved by Sindy's post that I have to say something.

Your words are so heartfelt and familiar, dear Sindy. Loss and pain have visited some of us too often lately, it seems. When the misfortunes of others hurt you so, it can only be because you are unselfish and your life is not all about "you". You're one of the good ones.

More later, Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 04:00
Does the "something exciting" you were speaking of have something to do with your son, scots???
Your lawyer was very thorough in constructing your holiday greeting. It must have cost you lots of $.

I am going to purchase that lean tattooed body tomorrow, neenime. :love: :drool:
Errr, I mean the movie with him starring in it. (He'll be mine, precious. Yes, MINE!!)

Thanks for the video link, morwin. I enjoyed it.

I felt as if I spent Christmas Eve eating mince pies and drinking mulled wine with friends, cirdaneth. Your vivid descriptions took me along with you.

I'm sure that your parents enjoyed your presence at Christmas as much at you did theirs ( if not more), morwenna. Treasure the time that you have together.

Know that your first Christmas as a granny was great, brandywine. Guess what? They get even better!!

Middle age and times of loss help stir us to ponder "the time that is given us", sindy. I think it very helpful in deciding what to do with that time, as we do not know how much of it we have.
A few weeks ago a dear elderly friend passed away unexpectedly. At his memorial service his daughters spoke of the positive influences he had made in their lives. Now I plan to do the same for my father, before the memorial service. This week I will go to his house and let him know how grateful I am to to be his daughter (I was adopted as an infant) and the many positive things that I have learned from him.
I've got more to say to folk in my live and more places to go and things to do..but it's a start.
May the events in your life help you define how to spend well the days that you have, sindy
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 04:53
Hello everybody, hope you had a nice ChristmasI spent the holiday with hubby and my daughter,she stayed a week but unfortunately she had to leave today because she will work the rest of the holiday until the 14th of january.Sorry I could not come before I was enjoying the time with the family as you all have I'm sure.
Starkindler, I am so sorry for your lost, keep those memories present in your mind, happy memories are a gift.

SINDY: I was so touch when I read your post, it brougt tears to my eyes, you are a kind and thoughtful human being and it's a privilege to know you a little bit.

CIRNADETH: I hope you are not as sad as before but crying is good.It makes you feel alive and human,:heart:

MTMS: I loved your little songThanks for the greetings in french:heart:

AWELYN: Your french was perfect, thank you my friend

NEENIME: I received your card Christmas Eve, it was very gracious of you to write a little note in french, thank you:heart:

SCOTS: I accept fully and in a right sound mind your holidays greetings

I will try to talk to you all before New year until that time take care of yourselves, of your family, of your friends and keep in mind what Sindy told us because it is the most important truth.
Love and friendship to you all

MTMS: you are a very loving daughter:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2007 06:20
*the dragon lands ... ooomph! ... a little more heavily than before Christmas...lol, due to a turkey dinner and lots of chocs*

I had a lovely Christmas Day. Except that whilst we were eating dinner there was a loud bang .... some sweet little monsters had set a van on fire just down the rear alley at the back of my house. Cheerfully blazing, the fire was soon put out by firemen .... which was good, as the van was surrounded by several cars, that could easily have gone up as well.

Other than that, I got some great gifts. A super 32" TV from my son, lots of choccies, a great set of russian dolls depicting Darth Vader, with Annakin and Luke that fit inside. And a Darth Vader duckie that glows with different coloured lights when set on water, or even the palm of your hand. I have a thing for Darth Vader. :drool: Lol!!

My daughter brought her Wii with her and we had fun with that ... I rocked at boxing. Lol!! Who'da thought. :naughty: But my arms ached the next day. Darn good exercise ... might think about getting a Wii.

The video link was great, Morwin. Thanks.

Hi and hugs to everyone. :hug: :wave:

Take care

Rose xxxx
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 27, 2007 10:27
Boy, we're soon at a new thread again...

Sindy, :hug: . Such true words. This year, my mother's deteriorating health, as well as the sudden passing of my husband's former schoolmate, has really made me see that our lifespan is limited.

Thank you all who sent me Christmas cards, either real of e-cards! :hug: Quite a few arrived just before Christmas, which for our family went quite peacefully.

Mr Morwin and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary on Saturday, and we're going away for a couple of days to treat ourselves a bit. So, next time, I'll be online on Sunday. Hope all of you will have a good end of the week! :wave:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2007 10:02

Happy anniversary morwin! May you and the Mr. have a wonderful weekend together. (I'm sending some crazy ideas to spice things up a bit. You night want to bring a sword or some chain mail along!:heart::evil
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2007 12:31
Well, I'm baaaack. Congratulations on your anniversery, Morwin. I know I should read all your posts and reply accordingly, but my head's on fire right now and has been for several days. Not "on fire" in a literal sense, but overflowing with ideas and words. I had decided a while back that, although it was a good experience for me to try my hand at writing, that my efforts were better spent on art, so I produced three new drawings and had intended to stay at it for a while, but that didn't happen. No, instead, after months of not having any desire to write, I suddenly couldn't do anything except write. Day in and day out, from 6:00 am till midnight, I've been working on my stories which have now become "story". Some of you have read some of my stories and others have read a piece or two. I have now re-written or modified all my previous works and written two completely new stories and connected them all, making one long story. What were originally individual short stories are now "chapters" in the one. I think it might not be too bad. It's now about 63,000 words and it's a kind of fairy tale that follows the life of one little boy and his many adventures...some of this world and some not. I don't know what to do with it right now and I'm sure it needs some "buffing up", especially the new parts, but if anyone wants to look at it, just let me know. Now to try and return to normal.

Is it Friday? Have a great weekend! Swabby
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2007 02:18
MORWIN: Happy anniversary to you and your husband and many many years together again:heart:Have fun on your week-end

SWABBY:iT'S A VERY GOOD NEWS THAT YOU STARTED TO WRITE AGAIN!!!!!When your story will be all finish I would love to have a copy ,it's a real pleasure to read them

Have a great friday everyone
Starkindler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2007 04:08
Well, Christmas is over, but New Year is coming up. The weather has been very kind: unusually cool weather, 28C on Christmas day, which is amazing. We spent Christmas eve with some of my extended family, went to church Christmas morning, and had a couple of families over for the evening meal. There is a low off the east coast of Australia that could develop into a cyclone by New Year: it has been overcast with some rainy periods already, one lot of friends might not be able to travel to our place for New Year's eve.
Sindarin Elvish: sorry to hear of the last few months: the loss of friends and work-mates does tend to remind us of our own mortality. Must go, housework calls. I'll be back. :love:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 29, 2007 07:54
Oh my goodness I am gone for a couple of days and look at all the posts. It does my heart good because some forums and realms don't post very often. But we are going strong.

Well, I had a different Christmas but it turned out nice. I got my youngesr daughter a Karoke machine and she cried. She loves Karoke but because of a medical condition the smoke at clubs really hurts her. So, that was a great moment. My eldest daughter who has four and pregnant with number five was a little strapped for money but she gave me one of the most precious gifts. She gave me a photo album that she had journaled every photo and it was a years worth of photos of my grandkids starting at January of 2007 until December of 2007 It was great.. My son was upset because our gifts he sent was late but that did not matter to me. Hearing his voice on Christmas was gift enough. My sister is moving to another state so we are spending New Years at my elder sister's house. I will miss her.

Starkindler house work is calling but I am trying to ignore my call. Well, I hope your weather turns out not to be that severe. I am curious what traditions do you have on Christmas? If you consider that to personal a question I will understand. I do have a tendency
to ask to many questions because I am by nature a very curious person.

Dimple, I am so glad that you had that time with your family. It is so important to have those times with the ones we love.

Swabby I can't wait I do love your stories. Let's see you can cook, draw ,write, play guitar and probably sing . I just want to know one thing what happened why did I get short changed in the talent department. All kidding aside it is just awesome all the talent we have here. You are blessed my friend.

MTMS, I see you are up to mischief again. What kind of suggestions are you giving out madam. That was a wonderful holiday ditty. How was your Christmas . If you said I guess I just forgot. I am going to go to a gym that has a pool. That is my Christmas present to me. I want to be in shape so I can keep up with you and Mith at ALEP.:love:

Morwin, Happy Anniversary :cheers: . I wish for you many more years with Mr. Morwin and a renewing of your love when you first fell in love.:heart: Thank you for your Christmas card.

Rose, I just love Wii's my husband has one and I have my grandkids play it so they get exercise. I like the bowling and your arms can get very sore. I am glad you had a nice Christmas. Just think a boxing dragon. :twitch: Watch that right hook. Oh ,look out for her tail. Ouch cover those scales if you please.

Calle, I just got back from my daughter's yesterday and I had so much fun with my granddaughter. She is learning piano and my daughter still had the book we were introduce to playing the piano. Yes, you heard right. I took piano lessons the same time as my daughter but stopped after the first book. Life got in the way but back to the start of my story. My granddaughter and I laughed and sang and I taught her some little songs from the book. My daughter started at seven and took lessons until sixteen. She is teaching her children now. It made all that sacrificing worth it so she could take piano lessons. Sorry, I know it was bittersweet when talking to your sister's and your mom. What are you doing New Years?

Sindy, I just hate that and the older I get the more it sinks home. When you are young you are invincible and then wham reality hits you right smack in the face. I am sorry that you seem to be having more than your share. I will love your card no matter what day I get it. I sent Cat's to the wrong address I think it was a menopausal moment Hang in there I will pray for you if you don't mind.

Brandy I would love to see a photo of your grandson. The first ones you sent were just so precious. Have a great weekend.

Morwenna I think you are very lucky to have spent that time with your parents. Have a good weekend. I am glad to see your post.

Neenime what a wonderful blessing to give to us. I will take it and hold it to my heart. Thank you. How is your Aunt doing? Oh, I agree I loved the imagery of cirdaneth's account of that night.

cirdaneth, I loved that Gene Kelley clip. It was better than a card. He was a marvelous dancer and so ingenious. I am so glad you are getting to spend time with Ann. Have a great weekend

Mith, I know you are probably settling in and I hope you might get to see Belle or Rivka while you are in sunny California. Are you going to be living there when we all attend ALEP? What a wonderful Christmas gift. So, you were kissing and hugging those grandkids. I fully understand as I have been doing some of that too.:

Morwin,thank you for the link. Have a Happy New Years.

Holiday cheer right back at you Scots. Isn't New Years when you stay up with other members of FOF until all of the countries have reached midnight?

arienelle. Have a great Christmas and a wonderful holiday. So, you were baking . I bet you made so many cookies. Maybe not as many as Mith. I am so glad you came here too.

Virtue,Balrog,Jess, Randi, The one guy that had back surgery Tcherin I probably spelled that wrong and any other new people that I missed come back.

Well, that house work that was softly calling is now shouting so I guess I'd better go for now.

<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email