Register

<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XIII
on: December 10, 2007 03:17
If you can forgive me for being gone so long I'd like to begin posting a bit more regularly. I'm so sorry I haven't been here in so long. It's been over 2 weeks. I am well and so is my family.

Welcome Starkindler and any others I may have missed as I "thumbed" through the posts.

School is going well. I only have this week, next week and the 17th, 18th and 19th, then we are out for Christmas break. I have a lovely elderly woman who works in my room for 2 hours every morning and have had lots of absent students due to colds. She corrected about 2/3 of my make-up papers. You wouldn't think 8 year olds could produce so much paperwork.
I missed 3 days of school (not all at once) on account of my month long cold and strep throat. I finally went to the Doctor a week ago and he put me right on medicine.
My husband went to the hospital for an out-patient test today to see how bad his hiatal hernia is. He qualifies for the surgery and will be operated on January 3, 2008. The nurse assures him that he will feel so much better. I hope so. He has constant heartburn.

I am going to try to be more faithful in reading your threads and keeping up. things have slowed down a bit. Not much on my plate this week.

See you all later and have a wonderful day.
Brandywine

[Edited on 13/12/2007 by brandywine]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 04:30
Welcome Starkindler from Brisbane! I'm originally from Washington State, USA and have been in Oz for a few months now. I am rather erratic in my visits here, maybe making several posts on a page only to disappear for awhile. The last time I was posting was in FoF III! I hope not to be gone several years again.

Brandywine, good thoughts go with your husband on his surgery. I hate doctors and don't trust them, but hope the surgery takes cae of his ailment. Keep an eye on the meds they prescrbe afterward.

cirdaneth, stay happy! More visits to the pub may be in order?

Well, I need to go make lunch... grilled bacon and cheese sandwiches! Back later!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2007 12:24
Thanks Dimple. It will feel a little wierd when I leave though. I have worked for the Orcs for 12 and a half years. But looking forward to a less demanding role ... well I hope it is. Lol!! But I couldn't *not* work, that would drive me batty. :twitch: And glad you read The Remarkable Obituary. It is sad indeed.

Brandeeee!! :hug: Looks like I might be here a bit more often too. Sorry to hear about your old and sore throat. et: Hope the medicine kicks in real soon. :hug: Good that your hubby is going to get surgery for his haitus hernia. He will feel much better, I'm sure.

Hi Arveleg. I think we all, at one time or another have been absent for longer than we intended, but it's the coming back that's important. Mmm grilled bacon and cheese. Sounds delicious. Enjoy!

Good to hear the village is feeling motivated, cirdaneth. Must be the holiday season creeping up. Good that it has given you a boost. You are lucky living in a small community. Living in a suburb of a big city can be a little impersonal. People tend to keep themselves to themselves. My area of Manchester has a high intake of immigrants, so we are a little disjointed now with all the different takes on things. Ah well, that's Britain for you at the moment. Keep bright, pet. :hug:

*leaves a hot bowl of punch and some mince pies for everyone*

Take care all

Hugs

Rose/Dracella xx
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2007 05:13
I believe that some aspects of modern technology are bad. An example of this is our over-reliance on computers. Too often now I have seen a complete failure of businesses to operate because of their computers going down. Prescriptions can't be filled, bank transactions cease and who knows what else can happen because things are not written on paper. Also consider mankind's ability to destroy himself several times over, thanks to his development of more powerful weapons.
When it comes to advances in the medical field, however, I am of a completely different mindset. I can only applaud these kinds of advances. Because of these modern advances, people like Rose can function and feel better and people like me can live well past their expiration dates. I would likely have died at about 44 years old if not for modern heart medications and procedures. I'm very hopeful that backwards thinking will remove itself from all medical research and that cures for our worst afflictions will soon be found, including cancer, heart disease and spinal chord injuries. Hooray for modern medicine!

Easy on that bacon and cheese, Arveleg. You're going to make me want one and when I should be eating an apple.

My wife and son have both read "The Golden Compass" Dimple, and they made some of the same comments that you did. Yes, I enjoyed it very much but will probably need to read the books also. One of my son's teachers, upon finding out that he'd read it, asked him about any anti-Christian content. I wish the religious zealots would learn where to look for evil and leave Harry Potter, the Tele-tubbies and such alone.

I'm currently reading Ray Bradbury's 1951 short book "The Illustrated Man". After seeing the very unpalatable way Stephen King ended "The Mist" I was reminded of this other fictional tale in which a father had to make a similar decision about whether loved ones should be left to suffer the end or not. I was telling Tommy and Jamie about how it had been treated in the 1968 movie based on Bradbury's book and how it had been handled, and before you knew it, I needed to read the book.
About the only thing I want to violently murder is ignorance. Oh, what a villain that is!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone! Swabby

[Edited on 11/12/2007 by swabbythewhite]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2007 11:45
My wife and son have both read "The Golden Compass" Dimple, and they made some of the same comments that you did. Yes, I enjoyed it very much but will probably need to read the books also. One of my son's teachers, upon finding out that he'd read it, asked him about any anti-Christian content. I wish the religious zealots would learn where to look for evil and leave Harry Potter, the Tele-tubbies and such alone.

Here! Here! Now I know that there is a ruckus going on about it(click here). There is too much real evil in the world to worry much about this IMHO.

We had a day off today! Yippee! Skippee! And ice storm worked it's way through here and closed down things. It didn't turn out to be as bad as originally thought, but as they canceled school by 10:30 p.m. last night, it was too late to take it back. So I went to Wally World and got Harry Potter and The Bourne Ultimatum.

Awelyn: How did the play go? Please post pictures if you can. I'd love to see you all decked out in your alter-ego.

cirdaneth: It's good to hear of the new life being breathed into your part of Middle Earth. I always am so sad to drive through parts of town that I remember as thriving when I was younger and now are in various stages of decline. Your revival story gives me hope that maybe that can happen to blighted areas here on the PoG.

So many comments that I can't keep up. I've had not much time except to take a quick peek on the good old FoF lately. I always keep thinking that I'll get myself organized and have some free time. Nope, never happens. No rest for the wicked. :evil:

Well, Harry Potter calls, and who am I to not heed the call?? Take good care all. I think of you everyday even though I do not always get the time to post.
Good thoughts wafted your way from the PoG.
Scots
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: December 11, 2007 01:07
Hi Brandy! Good to see you back. HI everyone else.

Thanks for your comments Scots. I shall pass them on to encourage the workers! The dead hanging baskets from 2002 have now been removed and the huge tattered union jack from the last world cup football that was draped from an upstairs window. No more lurchers throwing up on the carpet while people try to eat. The carpet was ripped out today and a new one goes down tomorrow. Bear in mind that this is a one-street, stone-built village in a National Park and you can see what an abominable sight it all was. Taddington is not chocolate-boxy-pretty like a lot of the other villages. It’s a working village, but there’s no need for it to be a slum.

I’m freezing here and am wrapped in blankets and drinking cocoa. I tried to light the stove this morning and the chimney was blocked so I had a room full of smoke. Tried to phone the sweep, but found that my land-line was dead. It’s weird. My broadband and email are working perfectly through the same socket, but there’s no telephone. Mobiles only work out in the street here, and it’s difficult in sub-zero temps wearing gloves. BT say they will fix it tomorrow. Hey! You don’t suppose I’ve been sabotaged by the TV licensing people do you? (joke)

Right, I’m off to bed with a pair of woolly socks and my fake wolf-skin throw to put on the bed. Nighty-night.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 11, 2007 05:48
I am giving a fly by post. I cut a small part of my right index finger at the tip Saturday with a steak knife and it is difficult to type with one finger bandage and not being able to type. I am having problems with my handwriting as I am right handed. I cut it in two places both small but deep. I still did the play and our play broke records and we made history for having the most people and making the most money in 6 performances. It was great.
I will write tomorrow. I did not like the writing style of the Golden Compass and did not like how they gave alcohol to a little girl. I just did not like it as well as LOTR I can't explain except to say I did not get the same feeling as when I read LOTR or for that matter Eragorn. I have to go rest my finger it has been bleeding today. Scots I will have my husband help me and get the pictures in my computer.

swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 04:33
Thank you for that link, Scots, that gives a good rundown on the controversy. As it is in other cases like the Harry Potter books, first and foremost, people need to remember that it's FICTION. For instance, how absurd it is that some would get all up in arms that Dumbeldor was gay, and that sort of thing. It's like you said, Scots, there is too much real evil in the world to go fretting about something this trivial.
Haven't there been other writers who also didn't believe in God and we no longer concern ourselves about it? Was Samuel Clements one of them or do I have my wires crossed?
Anyway, "The Golden Compass" takes place in a parallel universe where many things are different from our world and it is a work of fiction, meant to entertain, that's all.

As for it not stacking up to "The Lord of the Rings", Awelyn, nothing does. In the world of fantasy writing, I think the professor is Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. He has no equals, but I keep hungrily delving into these other works in hopes of finding tid-bits and grains of Tolkien here and there. His influence is powerful and widespread.

The ice storm that now grips America's mid-section just missed us this time. It made a direct hit on us a few years ago, however. I'll never forget that! We were encased in a solid sheet of ice for days and some folks went without electricity for up to two weeks. My brother Bob was one of them. His house is out in the country and his wife and youngest daughter went to town to live with the oldest daughter who had electricity while Bob stayed with the cold, frozen house and kept the fireplace stoked for two whole weeks. While taking Tommy to school a while ago, I saw about twenty big electric company trucks (The kind with the big mechanical arm)staged in a grocery store parking lot, on there way to Oklahoma or Missouri no doubt. They say we may get some snow this coming Saturday----I'll be sure to hold my breath and wait for that---not!

Have a great Wednesday, everyone! Swabby
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 10:25
Hello all, found time to drop by and read some posts.
Cirdaneth, I would love to meet you in Matlock after Christmas. I shall try and get something arranged with the Ringwraith, as we have to share the care of our Jon between us and he is only at home between shifts. I don't drive so I will see if we can get someone to either take me or look after Jon while I get flown in on the Fellbeast! I will sort something out though. I hope the migraine cleared off, you have my sympathy. et:

Hi Callee, looking forward to Notts too! A Tolkien weekend in Birmingham? I am not sure I know about that one, can I have details? I would love an 'elf buddy' to do things with!:love: I am hoping to go to Oxenmoot this year, are you a member of the Tolkien Society? Any other 'Middle Earth' expeditions are welcome, just let me know!

I hope things go well with your mum HT, I am thinking of you. Oh, and another masterpiece! You had me rolling!

Hey Swabby, did I miss something? What Aragorn? Where? Let me see! I agree about computers, and also about fussing over the religious content of books, there are much more important issues in the world. I am right with you on this one Swabby and Scots.

Rose, congrats on the new job, I hope it all goes well for you.I agree with you completely about depression. I watched my mum go through hell with her nerves and manic depression, and the amount of people who seem to blame the poor victim of these illnesses make me livid. I once threw a doctor out of my parent's house for telling my mum to 'get a grip', and I was only fourteen at the time. These people would not say that if they had to suffer it themselves. I am now watching my youngest son go through the same thing and it is heart breaking. You are a very strong woman, as are all who have to deal with this kind of illness. Not enough praise is given to those who battle on and manage this debilitating disease. You have my deepest respect.

I am glad for your son's safe return Randi.

Hi Dimple, thanks for your lovely card. I am so sorry your mum had to go through all that. What a strong and wonderful lady. I am taking your good advice and have taken the first tentative steps to doing something for myself. I went to see the Golden Compass at the local cinema on Friday with some friends, and enjoyed it very much. I did get the twinges of guilt, which I fully expected, but I stuck it out and had a nice time. Thank you for your loving support, you are a star:heart:

Well, the news from the cold Hill of Himring is quite good this week! We have managed to get another car, which hopefully won't try to kill us! Jon has had a test in his sciences to see if he was on the right course for his abilities as he has missed so much school, and he got 92%! I was really pleased for him. It has helped his confidence loads. He has also gained another two pounds in weight in six weeks, so I am over the moon about that too.
Wayne who is being bullied at school has finally threatened to punch the offenders lights out! I don't hone to violence of any kind, but these guys have made his life hell for nearly three years and caused him to have a nervous breakdown three months ago. The funny thing was, they were not picking on him at the time, but another boy. Wayne saw it happening and went over and stopped them harassing the lad. He then went and found his head of year and told her what had happened and said that he had threatened them, so she had fair warning! I couldn't believe it! Isn't it funny that he finally stands up to them, not because they were picking on him, but on someone else. He said he just couldn't stand watching them make this boy feel how he had felt for years. Bless him, that is so typical of Wayne. I am so blessed with my children.

Well, that's about all I have time for. I am falling asleep at the keyboard!
Nighty night all, sweet dreams,
Arienelle.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 11:15
Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your concerns for my Mum she seems to be doing OK and apart from being choked up with the cold is keeping quite well. i think she is a little slower on the uptake than she used to be but she does get there in the end and I hope all will be well now. Thanks also for the nice feedback on my little story I am glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes the ideas just flow and at other times I seem to hit a blank wall with my writing.

I was sorry to hear about the ice storm in parts of the USA do keep warm if you can.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 11:24
Thank you arienelle :hug: It's alway good to hear from others who understand. Your kids sound great, you have every right to be proud of them.

Good to hear your mum is doing ok, HT. I think as we approach the autumn of our lives and beyond, it gets harder to recuperate. Your writings are always a welcome sight, and I understand about that blank wall with regard to writing. lol!

*attempts to blow hot dragon breath towards the US* Ice storms must be quite scary. Button up your overcoats and take care, cousins.

I'm away to make some supper. Hugs to everyone.

Rose/Dracella :heart:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 01:25
Oh Swabby I agree 100% nothing or no work compares to Tolkien and I do understand as I look for bits and pieces of him in other things. I love FOF because it is the first place or time for that matter that I express my opinion even if it is different from others. I have always had a fear of rejection for stating a opinion that was different from the person I was talking to and you don't know how many times I have bit my tongue and was ready to explode because I disagreed and would not say anything. It was so great to come here and find that people don't reject you if your opinion is different from theirs.. I would never intentionally hurt someone just to state a opinion. But thank God for the freedom I have found here.

I am glad for your mom and that she is doing great HT. I hope we get snow this weekend and I will keep warm.

Arienelle, your Wayne is so brave and good for him to stand up to those bullys. Congratulations on your new car. Oh I bet Jon was so proud and I know you were and you should be proud of yourself.

cirdaneth I hope your chimney is clean now and that you are toasty warm. It sounds wonderful about your village. You are so thoughtful for giving a plant to your new neighbors. I wish you were my neighbor.

Scots the play was fantastic. We did so well. In the summer they did the musical Chicago and we broke the record we had more people see our play than Chicago and made more money. I was just so happy. I am waiting now for another play that would be interesting and I hope I can do another one soon.

Rose when do you leave for your new job? Thank you for the punch and mince pies . It was very tasty.
:drool: Hugs right back at you.

Brandy, I am glad you are feeling better and that you will be here more . Bless you and your husband. When is his surgery?

Hello Arveleg

Dimple I am so glad you had a good time shopping and that you and your daughter laughed. I just love to laugh. I think it is a cleansing for the soul.

You have a good week Morwin, your card is on it's way.

Hi Starkindler, It was nice reading your pm. I will answer you as soon as I get a moment to breathe.

Neenime I am so glad you were there for that family. I am glad you are back to being yourself.

Randi I am glad things are going good for you and your son. Your card is on it's way.
Have a good week FOF.

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 06:46
Hello,
I am here again as promised. School went well today. I lost a few kids to colds and fever (sent 2 home). Two left for DR.s appts., 1 for a family trip in CA, and two were already absent. By late afternoon we were down by about a third of the class. Colds and flu are knocking us out. Took me a week to sort out missing papers, get them in and graded and recorded.
Thank goodness school is out on the 19th for a good long break. Think I'll spray the room with Lysol as I leave.
I get to tend the grandson Friday afternoon into evening and from 11-8 on Saturday and Sunday. He gigled for the first time yesterday, at his daddy.
BTW did I mention my daughter has set a wedding date? June 7, 08. Yeah!!!!:heart:
Family will be arriving end of next week for a short visit and hopefully the kids will all be at the house on Christmas day.
Wishing you all, all the best.
Stay warm, bundle up and don't forget your mittens.
Love
Brandywine
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 03:00
Wooshing through once again! I am getting quite smart at 'zipping' in between on line lessons!

Awelyn, I love FoF too for it's care and understanding between members who are mature enough to accept other people are often different to them and think and perceive their personal world in a different way.I too have spent a great part of my life having to keep my thoughts to myself and being told that I am in the wrong about what I do and think. I have made wonderful friends on this forum, from all over the world and all walks of life and I love, respect and appreciate them all and their views. We are all friends here, and friends means that you are loved for what you are. Look how different the Fellowship were as people, they did alright ! :hug:

Hi Brandy :wave:

I'm off to look for Aragorn, Swabby!

Will pop in again soon,
Love to you all,
Arienelle
arienelle666
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 03:05
Aragorn is AMAZING!!!!!:love: :disco:
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 06:27
BRANDY:Nice to see youHope you're feeling better and that you can come more often.I'm sure you're hubby will feel much better after the surgery, good luck to him.Congratulations on your daughter's wedding :cheers: I would love to see and hear your grandson giggles

CIRNADETHid you know they can make poinsettia all sort of colors now! On my way to the grocery store last week I saw some blue and bright yellow ones, but I still prefer the red ones Have a drink on me at the new renovated pub :cheers:

ROSE: I would love to taste your hot punch and mince pies

SWABBY: Hooray! indeed for the modern medecine because maybe I would not have met a talented artist, a friend and a very good person:heart:
I don't understand the religious concerns about books and movies.Do they feel threatened or something?I guess they don't like open minded people or people who thinks different.And do not forget it is a fiction!!!!!!

SCOTS: I read the links you provided: very ,very. interesting !!!
What I like the most about the books is the idea of a parallel world and that our way of thinking might be different if we knew about other world.The universe is so big and we almost know nothing about it so it's up to imaginative people to discover it.EINSTEIN said once that ''imagination is more important than knowledge''.I think it's true.Sometimes scientists and writers have to be knowledgeable but in an imaginative fashion.

:
AWELYN: Sorry for your finger and yeah! for the play

ARIENELLE:I'm glad you could find a little time for yourself, good for you You have marvelous children and they have a wonderful mother!

HT: Glad your mum is doing well.

Last night I went to Laval university where my daughter is
studying.There was a ceremony for the bursary recipients and she was one of them.She was rewarded a $2000.00 bursary for academic achievement.I was so very very proud of her and so was she

Keep warm, drink coco and hot tea I'm thinking about you all
Dimple:heart:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 06:30
Good to see you, Brandy! :hug:

Awelyn, hope your finger will tolerate typing soon again! Wounds in fingers are always so sore, and bleed so easily.

I've got cards from Rose, Morwenna, Magoleth, and Arienelle; thank you, they're lovely!

This year, I've been in my current job for 10 years, and today, there was coffee and cake for employees who had been in the house for 10, 20, 30, and even 40 years. We were also given a present which each could choose from a few alternatives; I had chosen a large wooden bowl with bronze decorations. it should look very nice on the living room table. I'll just have to bring it home tomorrow, I had to leave it in my locker because I didn't have a large enough bag!

Well, have a good Thursday, everybody! Tomorrow is Friday already! :hug: :disco:
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 07:44
Yes, Awelyn, hooray for free speech, and may it always be free. Is your finger getting better? I hope so. Me, I only type with one finger, so I think I could easily switch to a different one if I needed to. So see, there is an advantage to my inability!

I'm very glad you like the scruffy ranger, Arienelle. I actually prefer to draw and paint pretty ladies like she-who-must-not-be-named in MT's presence and Galadriel, etc, but I know y'all like the hunky fellas, so that's what I mostly concentrate on.

Yes, Dimple, I'm afraid ol' Swabby would've been pushing up daisies a long time ago if they hadn't put those stints in my heart and gave me pills to control my blood pressure, etc. Congratulations on your very smart daughter's achievements!

Don't you just love those little baby sounds, Brandy? One day it may be "Grandma, buy me an x-box 900!" If you're like me, you'll say "Sure, sugar----whatever you want, I'll get it for you"

Congratulations on your ten year anniversery, Morwin! Only coffee and cake? I think you deserve more. This may sound like it came out of the blue, but I'd just like to compliment both you and Dimple on your excellent command of the English language, knowing that it's not your first language. It isn't, is it? If some one didn't know that you two were actually communicating in a second language, they'd never guess. I just wanted to say that. Am I sounding stupid?

Have a great day everyone! Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 02:21
Just spent a long while doing a post only to have it disappear...have to watch the laptop....cursor will end up somewhere else at times. Meanwhile, hubby is home for the weekend and will be needing the computer soon.

Busy days with the Christmas preparations. I love it all but sometimes think we are all just too busy to sit back and enjoy the season. Did you ever just long for life to be simple and less complicated? But then what would we give up...ummm, not so easy there. Who could give up their Ara-baby? Unless, of course we had him live and in person.

Received lovely Christmas cards from Awelyn, Arienelle and Morwenna. Also. Swabby who included an awesome drawing of Gollum inside his. (Thanks!)

I love looking at the various stamps on the cards sent from outside the USA. Even though I know we are all real people, the reality sinks in even more receiving personal cards from FOF. Love how you compared our fellowship to the one in LOTR, Arienelle.

Sorry to hear about your finger, Awelyn. Sometimes those little cuts can be so annoying and really hurt. Glad your play went well and you had fun with it.

Neenime, those are some cold temps your way! I will try not to complain about it being cold here when it is only around freezing.

And I also think of you, Cirdaneth. Hope your chimney is clean and warming you up nicely now. By the way, what a good idea freezing the individual meals. I've had a taste of living alone with hubby gone most of the week. And often I just don't feel like cooking for one. Having the meals there would come in so handy at times like that.

[b]Morwin[/b], congrats on reaching 10 years. :cheers:

Dimple, congrats to your daughter! Good reason to be a proud mom, you should be.

Forgot to welcome you before, Starkindler. Glad to have you join us here.

Well, time to stir the chili again and make some fixings to go with it. I grate some aged cheddar cheese, dice green onion and also have some asiago bread to slice. Much better eating when hubby is home as I don't eat or cook much when he's gone. Make up for it on the weekend, lol.

Take care and stay warm and happy. We are all blessed with so much. Love and hugs to you all.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2007 05:07
MORWIN:Congratulations on your ten years at work :cheers:

SWABBY:You're not stupid at all!!!!!Thanks for the compliment ,It's sweet of you to encourage mebut you know when I write I have a dictionary beside me and I still have a hard time with the verbs I'm hoping I'm making some progress!

MITH:My philosophy is :don't hurry and be in a rush if you don't have to.Personaly, I'm always taking my time.All my family will tell you that I'm a turtle and I take it as a compliment.Only in an emergency I will move my ''behind''lol and that doesn'T happen very often!

Well it's snowing again for a change today and we are expecting a big storm COMING FROM THE STATES ON SUNDAY which means snowblower and shovel here I come:cry:
Have a good and warm week-end
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2007 12:09
I was glad I walked down the steep hill to the mailbox today, because inside of it I found Christmas cards from four of my best friends---- Rose, Awelyn, Mith and Dimple! Little envelopes of love I thought they were----carefully, thoughtfully filled with words and images just for me and shuttled across the wide earth to the little oblong box at the bottom of the hill. What a thrill! Thank you all. I anxiously await the others now and will check my mail with enthusiasm each day until they have all found their way here.

Those of you who have received my cards and found the little doppelganger hiding within, I hope he didn't give you a scare. Because of his extremely naughty behavior this year, (gnawing people's fingers off and such) Santa has forced him to help out with the toy deliveries so as to earn one small present that may not contain a lump of coal. Of course he's hoping for crunch-able birdses or some nice wiggly fish, but that will depend entirely upon the quality of his help. From what I've heard so far, his constant complaining about various items of clothing either burning or freezing is more likely to earn him a cup of freeze-dried worms. Mmmm, yummy.
Furthermore, his unfortunate, slight resemblance to the Grinch has caused a flurry of irate phone calls to one Dr. Seuss, who immediately referred said callers to a certain professor J.R.R. Tolkien and there is no word yet on whether or not he plans to take responsibility for the gangrel creature with the ill-favored look. Additional reports will be forthcoming.

I have a dictionary by my side when I write, too, Dimple, and I only speak one language. (Well, I do speak "sailor", but I don't think that's a recognised language)

I like to look at those stamps too, Mith.

Oh me, I am a silly one today. Have a great weekend everybody! :heart: Swabby
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2007 08:48
Thoroughly enjoyed browsing through the recent posts. I even went back a bit and re read HT's Santa/Gandalf mix-up. It was so funny I had to look it over again. You truly have a gift HT. Keep it up, please.

This week was busy with school program practice and getting all the last minute projects done for the kids to take home. Also trying to finish up some chapters and not start others but find something to put in their place so the kiddies won't forget over Christmas break.

I'm looking forward to a relaxed Christmas break. It's all that keeps me going. I still have one gift to make and one or two to buy.

Dimple- As soon as I have time to read the PM that Rose sent me about doing pictures, over again, I will post my most recent picture of the baby. He's an angel. I had him this afternoon and into evening and will have him tomorrow and Sunday while his parents work 11-8. Soon to be son-in-law asked if I might watch him a bit longer tomorrow so he could take my daughter to a movie. That will be so hard: not! I'd watch that little guy all day, everyday if I could live on water. Being a grandmother is the most rewarding thing I have done yet in my life. What more could there be?

Enough about the baby. Hope all of you are well. Swabby, thanks for the card. Sindarinelvish-I have cleaned out my PM box and can now receive PM's. Please send me the list for Christmas Cards. I will get them right out. I love receiving ntes from all of you too. Nice way to put it Swabby-little notes of love.
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: December 15, 2007 12:14
Hooray, it's Saturday. I could sleep late, and won't do anything productive this weekend. Next weekend will be reserved for cooking, anyway. And, just a week of work before my Christmas break!

Swabby, thank you for your compliments regarding my English skills. Posting on English speaking messageboards plays a big part in keeping my skills up so, it's very much my Internet friends who are to thank for it!

Brandy, just talk about your grandson as much as you like! :love:

Thank you for your congratulations on my job anniversary, everybody. :hug: Let's see if I'll still be at the same job ten years from now, or if something better has turned up by then.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2007 03:04
BRANDY:I found you so lucky and blessed to be a grandmother, I envy you a LOT.I'm looking forward to see the new picture of this angel:heart:

MORWIN: Hope you had a good sleep this morning, so you'll be in good shape for the holydays

Friends, I'm a bit uncomfortable because I could'nt send Christmas card to everyone, please don't think it's because you're second best because honest to God YOU ARE NOT! Hope you are not offended or insulted, so please forgive me
Thinking about you all
awelyn418
Send Message
on: December 15, 2007 05:33
I think I have almost everyone's cards. I just love them. I feel so close to you all but I feel the same when I receive a video card from FOF members too. But the notes some of you wrote and pictures will be in my heart. They are precious to me.

I have found two people in my town that are Tolkien fanatics. One was in the play with me and another person I have known for years.I am going to invite both to Council of Elrond. It is so great to know they are in my town. I may start a Tolkien gathering in my town.

Morwin I am with you hooray it is Saturday and I did sleep late and we got our Christmas tree today. I also did laundry. Thank you Morwin my finger is better.

Oh Brandy it is so great being a grandmother. You look in that darling glowing face and your heart is captured. There is nothing like being a grandmother.

Swabby I am sure you get excited just like I did when I got your card or when I get a drawing from you. You are right it does seem to make it more real. I mean the friendships we have made here at FOF.

Dimple I am sorry you are going to get a storm. We had a dusting of snow tonight and I flung open the front door and sat down on the steps and watched the beauty of nature. Your storm may not be as pretty. You keep warm. I also prefer the red poinsettia. I guess I am just very traditional about some things.

Mith I have never tasted asiago bread sounds interesting. I love chili but my husband does not like my chili as well as his. He says mine has to many tomatoes. I love tomatoes what can I say My finger is better but very sore at the tip. I cut a jagged half moon cut right on the very tip of my right index finger. I cut some of my fingernail off with it also but it is getting better.

arienelle have I told you lately what a wonderful addition you are to our little group. Well, it is true. I am so glad you found us.

.:heart:

Rose you don't know how much comfort and relief your words brought to me. A week ago my son suffered from nervous exhaustion. His psychiatrist told him to take a leave of absence from college and he is on anti-depressants. He is bi-polar we have been told. He called me and called me and I finally got through to him. He just wanted his mom. It broke my heart. I told him not to be humiliated which he was and some more things all the time remaining calm and he still has a sense of humor. I said what should I get you for Christmas. He said marbles. I said marbles, he said yeah since I lost mine. I laughed and said you are going to be fine.

I did an interview with a young man who is writing a book about Tolkien and the pull that Tolkien has on his fans and why. It was a hour and half long interview. It was so interesting. He plans on publishing the book in 2009.

Well, I need to go clean the cat's litter box:cry: so have a good night.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2007 05:55
Dimple – congratulations on your daughter's bursary. She sounds like a fine young lady and you can be proud of her.

Awelyn take care of that sore finger. we want you to be able to participate fully in our chats!

:angel: blessings to your son and to you. Sometimes a person just needs to step back from work to regroup. I’ve had that happen to some of my students and it doesn’t have to stop them from moving forward when they get better. Please give him a hug from me. :hug:

Morwin – how nice that your company acknowledged its employees. The decorative bowl sounds lovely.

:disco: Yippee! I received cards from Swabby, Morwenna, and Dimple. Swabby the Ranger drawing just stunning! It’s my new bookmark as I am re-reading the trilogy as a Christmas ritual. Sweet of you to include it.

And the Gollum-grinch doing community service as punishment – too funny! I'd better not catch him eating any of my shiny decorations, thinking they are his preciousssss.

Hey, who’s sending that snowstorm from Texas? It’s going to hit my relatives in S. Ontario. Randi – is that you ? :nono:

Brandy - children DO make Christmas more fun, don't they. perhaps they help us see the world through more innocent eyes. And try to get some rest. You sound stressed

Well off to bed for me. We're having a family brunch for my hubby's birthday tomorrow. We took him out to a wonderful East Indian restaurant yesterday. Amazing food (although I must say that our Butter Chicken is better than theirs, which was rather over-cooked. Still the flavours, decor and music made for a greta experience.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2007 04:49
We went to my son's Christmas show at the high school last night. It was called "Ye Old Madrigal Feast" and I thought of my English friends and how silly they probably would have thought the show was with about 75 southern teenagers running around dressed in 12th century attire and trying to speak with English accents. My son only had singing parts and absolutely despised the frilly silk shirt, short pants and tights he had to wear. The whole thing may have been a bit over-ambitious, but the young players made up for it with their energy and enthusiasm. I could have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't been freezing to death. It was a very cold night with a few snowflakes falling, and I swear someone in the back left a door open. The flames on all the candles at our table leaned the same way in the slight arctic breeze that blew across it. A sad thought came to my mind as I remembered how I was missing from the table when they held it last year because of being in the hospital and my brother Bob and his wife were there. Of course it was Bob who was missing last night, but I would have gladly missed this one too and done time in the hospital again if he could have been there. Still, it was a beautiful experience and those kids sing waaaay better than anyone did when I was in choir.

Dimple, I think it's safe to say that no one here is going to be angry at you for not sending them a card. We know what a sweet human being you are.

I like asiago cheese, Mith and Awelyn. I put it in my chicken tetrazinni and it just wouldn't taste the same without it. Even my son, who is sensitive to strong-tasting cheeses likes it. I'll bet it would be good grated over some spaghetti, too.

I'm so glad you liked the little ranger pic, Neenime. Of course you know there are more and larger ones where that came from. I'm glad you liked Santa's whiney helper too.

I made some home made bread yesterday, so I believe I'll go make some toast from some of it to have with my once a week egg.

Have a great Sunday everyone, and try to stay warm! Swabby
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: December 16, 2007 12:47
Awelyn: Ouch for your cut finger. Finger cuts always seem to be on the very spot where you put pressure most often. I’m glad it’s getting better. You are right about the friendship here. Tolkien people are mostly a very tolerant bunch. Your Tolkien Gathering sounds like a good idea. Are you a member of the Tolkien Society? If so you could form a proper “Smial” and have moots. (see my remarks to Arienelle below)

Depression:. Warm hugs to all those with depression problems. Schultz’s Charlie Brown said “Why shouldn’t I feel sorry for myself? I’m a very compassionate person.” :heart: Seriously, though, there are many reasons for depression and none of them means you are crazy … OK? :hug:

Arienelle: Tell me where you are exactly and I’ll see if I can get closer by bus, so you don’t have to travel so far. I’m looking forward to a chat.

I reckon I should try to form a Tolkien Society “Smial” in this area. As long as the founder is a member of TS, the others don’t have to be, and even if we don’t get to hold proper moots, we can at least put people in touch with one another. People can’t always commit themselves to monthly meetings in particular places. We need something flexible. I’ll work on it.

As for my chimney …Oh dear … The sweep can’t come until Tuesday evening. :cry: My stepdaughter Lossie and her partner have been here this weekend and even with extra electric heaters on, they sat here wrapped in blankets and wearing woolly hats. My bed-room is coldest of all. It has a storage heater, but that just isn’t coping without the added warmth filtering up from the wood-stove. My duvet is only 4.5 tog, as I don’t usually feel the cold much, but I’ve had to put my fake wolf-skin throw over it. I’m cosy enough once I’m under the covers.

We went to the opening night of the refurbished pub. It was wonderful … noisy but wonderful. Like coming home. Hopefully the heart is put back in the village, and we can have a drink or a coffee and a chat without having to wipe our shoes as we leave the building!!

My visitors also helped me make space in the utility-room, and we turfed out a load of old tools that Calar had squirreled away. I selected a basic kit for myself and the rest have gone to good homes or into a skip. The sad part was when we came to Calar’s original tool-box. It is the one he made in 1957 as an apprentice, to hold his ship-wright tools. I was going to store it in the loft as a family heirloom, but when we opened it the inside had woodworm and we had to get rid of it. That really hurt. Anyway I’ve kept his caulking tools and other shipwrights’ stuff and I still have all his technical drawings so I’ll store them.

Dimple: Don’t feel bad about the cards. I don’t send them to FoF either. I used to send out 200 cards, but have been trying to cut down, partly for environmental reasons, and partly because I’m a widow on a pension. I’m down to 140 now, but many are to people I’ve never met, who have helped with genealogy research, and told me their own family tales. Many are now alone and old and there’s no way I’d stop sending a card. This I’ve included a long letter for the first time. So much has happened this year.

Swabby: That ice storm looked really scary. We haven’t had anything like that, but the frost is building day by day on every twig and the trees and woods are stunningly beautiful. Much more, though and things will start to break.

I know it is a very bitter-sweet time of year for you and your family Swabby, I still find it hard. Will you be seeing your sister-in-law over the holiday? … and how is your sister coping with the loss of her son? You are all in my thoughts.

HT: I love your writing. Rose: I hope the change of work is refreshing. Hugs to everyone else. :hug:
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2007 02:03
AWELYou are so lucky to find Tolkien fan near you and I hope they'll join CoE.Tolkien gathering is an excellent idea good luck with it I like tomatoes too but anything compare to MUSHROMMS
I really feel for you and your son and I wish with all my heart that he'll get through fine:heart:

NEENIME: Happy birthday to your husband :cheers:

SWABBY: It must be hard for you in this holiday season not to be with Bob,I'm just hoping you won't be too sad.How is your sister in law doing?
Thank you to make me feel better about the cards:heart:

CIRNADETH:Oh my dear, keep warm as much as you can, try not to catch any bad cold You and Swabby make me feel so releived about the cards, Thanks:heart:

IT is a very stormy day today and it will keep going all night long.We have so much snow now, we don,t know where to shovel it.I was planning to cook all day tomorrow but I guess I will have to clear that snow from the front of the house first! Ahhh the pleasure of winter:cry:
I'm going to watch some Christmas show on tv tonight
Keep warm
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2007 05:37
My friends, I've thought of you often, though I haven't found the time to sit at the computer. Seems as if I haven't found much time to sit at all! School, Christmas preparations and caring for my in-laws have kept me busy. Tuesday is hubby's birthday! I learned a small but important lesson today: take a breath and slow down the hectic pace. There's peace in doing what you can when you can and not trying to pack as much as you can in each moment.
Father-in-law is slowly improving. Sister-in-law if off work for a week and can take care of her mom, who has Alzheimer's Disease. Hubby had to help his mom put her clothes on when he was "on duty."
I've enjoyed receiving Christmas cards from my FoF friends. They will go in one my LOTR scrapbooks along with stamps from around the world.

It's been a busy weekend and I must head to bed before my face falls on the keyboard. My love goes out to all of you fantastic FoF folk. :hug:

MT
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: December 16, 2007 10:10
MT! Tell your ranger-man to get his rear into gear and give you a hand ... or at least some encouragement. He may have a cardboard body but there's the soul of a hero within. Just needs a good (mortal) woman to make him shape up! :love:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2007 11:57
Good to read all of your posts. To those experiencing sadness or depression I wish you good cheer. Not the kind from a glass but the kind from the heart.:heart:

This week sounds like many of us have relatives with birthdays. My husband's is Thursday the 20th, he'll be 50. We are having friends over this weekend so I am going to buy a cake and have everyone who pops in and out take a piece and share in the fun. Must think of some funny way to decorate the house.

Not much else. Had the grandbaby for the weekend. He's is my little angel boy, so sweet and soft. He likes to be clean, hope he keeps that habit. It was tiring but also lovely. Nothing in the world feels so good as holding a darling baby in your arms, as long as its not crying.

Hugs to all:love:
Brandywine
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 03:25
Dimple and Cirdaneth, don't worry about your Christmas cards. At least to the folks on this site, you can always send an e-card; there's a good selection in the Multimedia section (see the Main Menu on the left), and inside the site, you can send them by the recipient's username, like a private message (so you don't have to know their e-mail address).

Just this week to work before the Christmas break...
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 04:04
A really, really quick one here...I am thinking of you all and I do pop in to read the posts. Oh my...sore fingers, healing hearts, ice storms, ....and shopping, seeing loved ones, birthdays, and babies...
I have just been sooo busy. I have been workng hard and it will pay off as I have nine days off after Christmas.
besides that the shopping. Rose, I was in your area Saturday shopping in Manchester at Trafford centre,
I also have been recieving the cards and I must say they always brighten my day so much. I will keep them as well like I did last year too. For those of you not sending them, of course its alright. we still love you.:love:
Arienelle, got your email and I will send you my schedule as soon as things slow down a bit, so we can plan Notts.
Bless you all my friends. Gotta rush off again!
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 05:31
My oh my, all the fly-by posters! I wish MT could get a little real, tangible help from someone, cirdaneth, but I suspect her handsome ranger spends most of his time just standing around. I'd send her a couple of Ozark wood elf's to help out with all her irons in the fire if I could only catch the little buggers.

And Calle, will you slow down and spend more time with us when you get those nine days off?
You and Arienelle together? Oh, the possibilities for mischief!

Morwin, that's a good suggestion about the ecards.

Dimple, my sister-in-law seems ok, at least from outward appearences, but I can't read her very well and don't have a clue as to whether or not she is coming to terms with the loss within. Thirty-six years is a long time to spend with someone.
As for my sister, she is clearly not doing well. In the last few years she has had to deal with her youngest son being murdered, our older half-brother dying, then dad, (who she was very close to) then Bob, and now her only remaining child. On top of that, she's not terribly stable and is an alcoholic. I worry about her but don't know of much I can do to help her. Unlike our oldest sister, she went through the meat-grinder with Bob and I when our parents divorced in 1955. She suffered the full effects of all the neglect, deprivation and hopelessness that we endured. We each dealt with it in our own ways in later life, but she turned to alcohol in the late sixties and continues to drink to this day. I had my bout with alcohol too, but overcame it---she has not. A cure for alcoholism/drug addiction should be right up there, in terms of importance, with cures for cancer and heart disease, so I believe.

There must be something that needs my attention, so I'd best get going. Have a great Monday everyone! Swabby

<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email