Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XIII
on: December 29, 2007 01:03
Holiday Greetings to all. :wave: May there be roaring fires, warm cups of wassail, and the fine company of friends and family to warm your hearts.

Sindy –So sorry for your losses. Dealing with your friends’ ugly divorce must be really tough. So hard not to get emotionally involved, yet you will likely have strong feelings as we all do when someone you care about gets attacked or treated unfairly. I know how hard it is to steer the neutral centre course. Bless you as you try to be there for both of them.

Swabby is writing again! Your description left an image of an Ent (from the scene at the destruction of Orthanc) with his hair aflame! Glad that is NOT your condition. Enjoy the ride.

Rose – glad you had a a lovely Christmas, except for the extra pyrotechnics ! I now have interesting images in my head of a dragon boxing and a lit-up Darth Vader duck !

Mowin Happy 20th anniversary. I tried to send an e-card but my computer is not co-operating. A :hug: for you both and a :cheers: will have to do.

Awelyn- your piano stories from past brought a smile to my lips. Is the memory giving you any renewed interest in lessons? I miss playing my piano. Each year I think I will take out the Christmas carol book and each year I seem to be busy with other things. *sigh* Well, my holiday is not over yet so perhaps I should just resolve to do it instead of complaining that I haven't.

Off to do some more prep for Eastern Christmas (January 7th). Still have to send cards to my relatives overseas. I'm very late this year. Not the same spirit with the recent loss in my family.

Tomorrow, we are taking a dear friend with us to catch the sunrise and see a few deer at a nearby conservation area. More camera work - freezing fingers but satisfying results. Take care, all. :hug:

Any plans for Professor Tolkien's birthday on Jan 3rd?

[Edited on 29/12/2007 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2007 01:59

I'm s glad to see that you are writing again swabby! Seems like it has started you. That's what happens when you have a gift. It finds a way to make itself "happen."

Stay safe from the cyclone, starkindler. This hurricane savvy shieldmaiden knows about blowing winds and storm surge. Take care.

Mischief? Me? Surely you must be kidding awelyn! I am a serious school teacher, you know!
I'm sure that your youngest loves her karoke machine. Bet she's a good singer. I know that you love the photo album. How thoughtful of your eldest daughter to spend the time on such a precious gift.

Enjoy watching the sunrise with the deer, neenime. I'll be at home drinking some delicious creme brulee coffee in my flannel pajamas.

MT
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2007 05:24
Hey I forgot to tell y'all that I bought a cool birthday gift for my Tolkien-loving bro who lives here in my city. Got him 4 maps of Middle Earth in a nice hard cover case, by John Howe and Brian Sheldon. And I got it 30% off (Ukrainians are more thrifty than Scots, BTW).

I generally avoid Boxing Day sales, but make an exception for book stores and music stores !
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2007 05:35
Swabby, isn't it wonderful and a little scary when the muse takes over and you must write? Please, my love, send me your tales! I'd love to read more. There is so little good stuff out there that has gotten to market (if only we could convince Oprah to let us on her show!). I, too, have been trying to fit in a bit of scribbling---doing some revision on the first three books of my little saga and thinking of a few new adventures for our hero.

The weather here has been grey but not horribly cold although our lusty weather people are predicting an artic blast over New Years.

I have some plans for some fun winter cards since I have flubbed the holidays this year (actually no one received cards from me and I love to send them).

MTMS, have you gotten your copy of Eastern Promises? Although as you might remember, I said I didn't think I'd care for the movie from the previews, DH and I saw it in the theatre and I liked it very much and think Viggo probably should have an Oscar nomination.

Mith, did I read somewhere you have moved to CA? Permanent or with the hubby's job?

Mae Govannen to our new folks I missed greeting while I was gone. A bit about me: I live in Ohio with my DH and my tabby-cat, teach full-time, write part-time (my humble scribblings can be found at Henneth-Annun). My current obsession is exercise (it's amazing what strength training does to your body). I own and use both a sword and a bow. I love weather and usually have the Weather Channel on as background "noise."

Awelyn, please pray for me any time! To God or any others! I need any help I can get.

To those who are thinking of attending ALEP: I'm packing my Elvish duds! I'd decided to follow my own advice and do those things I've always wanted to do but allowed "responsibilities" to interfere. That's what personal days are for!!!!

Scots----you're not thinking about the R word as your big news, are you? (I only say this because it pops into my mind at times. Oh, what I could do if only my time were my own!)

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2007 05:36
Hiya,
I really enjoyed all the cards I've received in the last little while. I hope you all received my e-cards. I had a little trouble getting it quite right but Goldey (you remember Goldey) helped me with it. I caught her online and begged. She was kind enough to help me out.
SindarinElvish-I am so sorry to hear of the loss of so many close to you. I think your advice is perfect and timely and well said.
Hope things get a bit rosier for you in the near future.

Speaking of Roses-Hello to you Rose the resident dragon. Glad you had a nice Christmas.

Seems you've all had a nice Christmas overall and I am glad for all of you. It's such a wonderful time of year.

Morwinyoniel-Congrats to you and the Mr. on 20 years. We are closer to 30 and still very happy.

Swabby-I'd like to read your story as well.

Starkindler-Hope the cyclone does no damage to you and yours. Any at all if that can be avoided.

Just wanted to pop on and say hello. I'm watching the Giants and the Patriots.
Brandy
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2007 05:52
Hi Brandy, the Pats and Giants are on here too---DH keeps talking to me about the game as if I am paying attention---bless his heart!

ALEP folks, before I register, is there any thought to sharing a room? I'm a good and quiet and courteous elvish roomie!
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2007 06:21
Okay!
I just posted two new pics of the grandson. I don't know if I did it right but I guess if I didn't they will tell me. The are listed in the Member's Gallery inder A-I. If you sort by date and go to the end you should see them as soon as they are up.
I called them Kenyan's Smile and Baby Kenyan's Christmas Smile. I have a few other really cute Santa baby ones to post if I did this right.

Wish me luck!
Brandy
BTW Dimple-thanks for the nice coment about the first one. The other comments were nice too but your was the only name I recognized.:heart:

Heya Sindy! Wish I was going to ALEP.:cry: Right now I just want to get my bills paid and help the kids all I can. :love:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 02:34
Hi brandy. Hmmmm, Kenyan ... that wouldn't be your grandson would it. Rofl!! Haven't found your pics yet, but am looking forward to seeng them.

Lucky you, sindy. I wish I were going too.

Glad you found your writing muse, swabby. I also would enjoy reading your story.

Lol, neenime. The image of the dragon boxing in my front room has popped into my head now. I wondered why things flew off the mantlepiece. I'll have to keep my wings a little more under control.

I am going shopping tomorrow to buy a Wii. The exercise is pretty good, taken in moderation.

We had extremely high winds and heavy rain over the weekend.

I start my new job on Wednesday. I'll be the Office Junior. Lol!!

Hugs to all :hug:

Rose xx
Starkindler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 05:07
Just dropping in quickly to wish you all a Happy New Year. I have just gotten home from work, and need to be at work in less than 8 hours. It is (just) already New Year's Eve here!! :disco: .. but very early in the morning!!
The tropical low is still off the coast, but the prediction now is .... not going to develop into a cyclone for another three days. ... friends can come!! Thank you for all the wishes re cyclone.
I do truly wish you all a safe, and happy time over new year, and that this year will be fruitful for each of you in a special way. Take care. :hug: . Thank you for making me feel so welcome on this thread. I'll have to put aside time for a good 'chat' before the end of this week.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 06:15
OK, I'm back from a great weekend , and the photos of Brandy's grandson are up. :love:

I'm not sure how much I can get online tomorrow, a couple of our friends will come over to us to celebrate New Year, but on New Year's Day, I'll definitely try and pop in for a longer post!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 06:21
Starkindler, you have a Happy New Year too. I hope the cyclone just becomes nothing to worry about even in three days. We always love new people here and you are a welcomed addition.

Rose, you just could not pass up the Wii, my sister-in-law got my other sister-in-law one for Christmas and she just loves hers. You better get some boxing gloves made just for your dragon hands or do you call them hands>

Brandy, I found the photos . What a prize winning smile. He is so cute. So, you said Tia are you or dad's family Hispanic. I have Hispanic friends and picked up the Tia for aunt. I would love to speak Spanish but have trouble rolling my R's. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Prayers are sent Sindy and I sent you a pm about ALEP and does that mean you are going to be there more days. The last time we talked about it you thought just one day . I agree that is what personal days are for and I am using mine for just that purpose.
If so I am so excited that you will be there longer. I wish I could take all of FOF and COE to the ALEP gathering.

Neenime , yes it is and I find myself thinking about taking piano lessons again. I don't know maybe I am to mature. Have a great Christmas in January. I hope you got some fabulous photos.

MTMS,actually she is a mediocre singer like her mom. But she has so much fun doing it. I am going to my sister's New Years Eve party and we are singing karaoke and I have been practicing Down Town. My husband finally saw our gift last night and was really touched by it as I was and photos are such perfect gifts especially for a grandparent.

Have a great Sunday.

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 07:12
Just a quick post as we are still "on the road", although we have reached California. We have driven about 2400+ miles in 4 days. My body doesn't know if it is coming or going or what.

But I thought of all of you as we were driving. I thought of Sindy while driving south on I-75 in Ohio, Virtuelle in Indiana, Scots in Nebraska, Awelyn in Missouri (we saw the sign to Poplar Bluff), Swabby going through Arkansas, MT and Alabama not far, Randi in Texas, and all my friends both here in the states and abroad. It is comforting knowing there are friends and Tolkien fans wherever we go.

Sindy, we are going to be in CA for 3 months for hubby's work. He will be working at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant for 3 months. We are not moving there. We just take clothes, computer, Wii & other toys and stuff like that (including Ara-baby). Hubby has a truck and we tow my vehicle so there is plenty of room for our things.

Awelyn, wish we were settled in. That should happen later today. The place we rented sounds really nice. It is actually a vacation rental and only a block from the beach. So of course it is furnished and equipped with all the necessities such as dishes, linens, etc. I will post the link later.

Well I must run as hubby is getting ready to take the bags out to the truck and I am not quite ready. So much more to write but time is limited.

Have a very happy and blessed New Year everyone!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 11:18
Time for a new thread, my FoF! Will close this one and open number 14! Go us!
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email