Welcome Guest 

Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Post NEWBIES INTRODUCTION THREAD - Please introduce yourself here!!
on: December 04, 2007 09:57
This is the place for newbies to introduce themselves to the other members of CoE. Some possible things you might say about yourself are:

Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE)
How did you find CoE?
What are your interests?
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' or only seen the movies?
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE?

Of course you can write your own introduction, the above are just some hints .

Once you have posted your introduction here, you do not need to make a separate greeting post below the gray line further down. That area is for asking questions about the site; how to do or where to find things, how to deal with signatures/avatars, etc. Please scroll through the existing threads to see if there is one on the subject in which you are interested and post there. Do not start another thread if there is already one which exists, you can always add another reply if necessary.

We'd also advise you to read the threads above the gray line as they may answer some of those questions before you even ask. Explore the site (there are many nooks and crannies to see) and have fun. You might also wish to read this and this as they both contain useful information you may find helpful - And feel free to check out the introductions of older site members in other threads, some of which to be found in the archives (but please do not post any replies in the archives, as it is for closed threads).

If you feel like getting to know the people around here a bit better or ask some general help, perhaps you can check out the 'Welcome - chitchat'-thread in this forum.

We all hope you will enjoy it here with us, and that you feel at home very soon .

Errandir of Gondolin,
Newbies - mod

With thanks to BerethEdhellen

[Edited on 25/4/2008 by gondolinian]
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Post RE: NEWBIES INTRODUCTION THREAD - Please introduce yourself here!!
on: December 04, 2007 09:58
It's already posted in the message above but I'll point it out again :
if you want to have some more in depth talks with newbies or each other, perhaps go to the 'welcome-chitchat' thread. The thread where this is posted is only for introductions and the replies to that.

Errandir of Gondolin

[Edited on 5/12/2007 by gondolinian]
Eledh_o_Eryn_Galen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 08:14
Hi! I've found this forum a long time ago, though I didn't register. I am 21, living in Kazan, Russia. I haven't got a very wide range of interests, however I like reading, watching movies, listening to some music, and the Tolkien's world of course. My hobby is English learning, because it's not my native language and yet I like it more than any other.
Speaking of Tolkien I've read the Hobbit, the LotR, the Silmarillion, the Unfinished Tales, Tales from the Perilous realm; watched all the movies.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 08:21
Hi and thanks for introducing yourself! Your English sounds very good already, don't worry .
I hope you'll keep enjoying this wonderful site, take good care and see you around!

Errandir of Gondolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 09:38
Greeting Eledh

As gondolinian says, your English is very good.

If I may say, Kazan sounds quite middle-earthish, kind of somewhere Dwarves might come from.

Glad that you decided to take the plunge and register.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 03:07
Welcome Eledh! I hope you enjoy your stay at CoE!

Wow... you've read more Tolkien than me... *jealous*
NumenoreanLord
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 05:52
Just thought i'd say Hi
I've been on this site before but I finally decided to register. I am 15 and I live in Adelaide, Australia. I enjoy AFL, Cricket, Archery, Computer Games and Tolkien. I've read the books and continue to read them again and again
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 09:26
Hello NumenoreanLord, :wave: welcome to the site, thanks for introducing yourself.
Aussie éh nice to meet you. I wish I had the time to read the books again but I can't find a second to stand still.
Many greetings and hope to see you around!

Errandir of Gondolin
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2007 03:14
Be greeted, Eledh and Numenorean! :wave:

I am sure you will both love this site as much as I do, though I am a newbie myself .
Enjoy yourselves!

Best wishes
raina

PS. Thy (=your, for one person, old English) English is very good, Eledh! Do not worry!
emilyyy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 08:32
Hey everyone.

I'm Emily.
I've been looking on this site (which is ace by the way) for ages now and finally thought I'd join, so hi.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 08:33
Be greeted!
Welcome to join us at the welcome-chitchat thread! And welcome to CoE!

-raina
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 08:34
Hi emilyyy and welcome to the site glad you decided to join, you won't regret it!
Many greetings,

Errandir of Gondolin
IsarielMorwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 09:49
Hello to all!
My name on here is IsarielMorwen, but I'll respond to a variety of names, mainly Isaríel, Morwen, Alia, or Elentarí Phoenix...or freak, as some of my friends insist on calling me for some strange reason.
I'm 17 and from the USA (Colorado more specifically), and I found this site by taking a random quiz on arwen-undomiel.com
I love to write, read, play music, surf the net, annoy people...the list could go on but I don't wanna bore y'all before ya get to know me. I really love LotR!
And believe me, if I have any questions, I'll let people know!

[Edited on 17/12/2007 by IsarielMorwen]

[Edited on 17/12/2007 by IsarielMorwen]
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 10:04
Be greeted! And well met!

Thou art most welcome, IsarielMorwen! Make thyself comfortable and dive into CoE! :hug:

:cheers:
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 10:51
Hi IsarielMorwen, welcome to CoE!! Glad to have you on board. Don't worry about questions, I'll be happy to answer anything I can, should you need any help .
Make yourself comfortable and have fun!

Errandir of Gondolin
~Elenduriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 11:46
Greetings all.

My name is Elenduriel and as you can tell by that name I'm female.
I'm 22 years old and live in the SW of England.
I am a huge fan of LotR, both the books and the movies, and have a growing collection of Tolkien's other works.

I would love to learn to speak one of the Elven languages when I have the time.

I was recommended this site by someone on imdb.com during a LotR discussion. And I look forward to spending some time here getting to know everyone.

I have already joined a Realm, but if anyone has any suggestions on must-reads on here then please point me in the right direction.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 11:58
Be greeted and Welcome!
Nice to see new faces! Join us anywhere you wish! I myself just love the humor-section! And of course the newbies chitchat and The Green Dragon Inn - get to know your fellow CoE-members. Just dive right into things! The languages are found at language-section, I am myself learning both Quenya and Sindarin.

We are all happy to help you around, being a newbie myself, I don't know THAT much, but I know how to dive - at least in here. Otherwise... Scared of deep water...

:hug:
raina
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 17, 2007 08:06
Hi and welcome :wave:

I'm sure you'll love it here, and nice to see people are spreading the word about the site, even at imdb . But you won't be disappointed I think . I hope you found a nice active realm? If so, they will definetly drag you into the fun with them.

Many greetings!

Errandir of Gondolin
MitrandilOr
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 01:51
Hello

My real name is Svetlan, meaning in my own language( serbian ) Lightness or from Light, with light. I am 40 y old, and I was reading all books from Tolkien many years ago. Living in Serbia, Belgrade. One interes bring me to your( wonderful ) site , and this is my hoby too, to find maps of Tolkien view of our world and some similarity of some investigation done by my own. Where Mordor can be today...in which part of Middle Earth!?
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 03:37
Hi Svetlan, welcome to our site
Glad to have you on board, I hope you'll find a lot of maps and information you need.
I do seem to remember Tolkien himself wasn't too fond of allegories and comparisons with his books and other worlds such as ours, make sure he doesn't find out .
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 04:35
Be greeted and Welcome, Svetlan (Svetlana?)!

I hope you will enjoy this site as much as i do!

Welcome at any time, Svetlan, to join us at the "Welcome chitchat" here at the newbies, at "The Green Dragon Inn - get to know your fellow CoE members" and so forth and so forth . Most important: have fun! :cheers: :hug: :disco:

[Edited on 21/1/2008 by raina_alassë]
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 08:50
WELCOME all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~have fun~
Kage_Eclipse
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 09:25
Hi I'm 16, from Colorado in the united States. I like reading, art, computer games, stargazing and Tolkien's world(a given of course). I have seen the movies both versions read the hobbit part of the Samarillion, the fellowship and part of the two towers. My actual name is Andy but please coll me Elmyers. Thank you. :cheers:
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 09:27
Hi Kage_Eclipse, welcome to the site!
Glad to have you on board, enjoy your membership!

Errandir of Gondolin
MitrandilOr
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 09:31
I was stolen by a wind, when I was very young. And my sense of time completely have changed. For you, id est. for most people who respect the understanding of time as we define it through science, I am 40 years old. But if we would put things different, and accept the flow of time through every day as state of consciousness, many thousand years would make my existence present here and as I live more and more, from year to year, with every next day, I feel my presence wider, and bigger, and older. I was twelve when I understood that.

So, as I said, I came here to your website to see what all have you done since the movie LOTR appeared, to see is there a will for people to consciously change themselves and inherit so huge tradition of imagination, which Tolkien manage to pass on to us very wordy, and leave it, for us to make it better, till our present become very close to us, and by that also alive to us, as the force of Valars are alive, since the beginning of the world. To see, are there still those people, who can be alone with themselves, till the end of their life. Those who value friendship with an ancient meaning, which it could be recognized by a look of an eye, and sometimes by feeling, without look. I saw a couple of things that you know how to keep and take care of, some more some less enough. But, it is a matter of possibility and that I resent to nobody.

I am a lover of tree in every sense. Of alive and of treatmented one.

The name I chosen to represent you myself here, originated some ten years before I knew Tolkien exist. Mitrandil Or, was the voice came to me from the voice of wind, while I was lying unconscious in a scary stormy night, and as a child I was convinced that some deity or force dressed to me saying its name, but later, I found out in a way familiar to me, that it is a name by which I am know to the forces of wind, forest and places without humans when I am at those places. So I learned that every place on Earth, has its own language, by which a man, creature, is called on that place. By some wonderful and unreal circumstances which follow my life, guided by the strength of decision to act in life only in a way my heart guide me, after many years I stumble upon a person whose name is same as mine, "Svetlana", and after 9 years of arranging our ALLIANCE, we stepped into marriage, so by that I fulfill another oddness which few in life manage to meet. But she is completely different from me. I write and build, she paint and keep quite.

So, as I said, I came to this website, searching the internet in a quest for finding the best map of Arda. Not Middle Earth, but the whole Arda. I would like to see is there a map of Arda in all 4 ages, and it is strange to me that, being fanatical lovers of this wonderful world, you didn't make one special, not to say cartographically perfect map, and offer it either for sale or as a Gift, the same way as the Andor is a land of gift. There I come to another question: Is it the look of Numenor as pentagram ancient base of pentagram or it is vice versa, was the pentagram the ground for creating Numenor? Then, which sign would be the mark of Eldars?

In order not to exaggerate at the start, I would add one more thing. Have you consider creation of a website all exclusively on Quenya language?

It doesn't need to have all this information which this site has. It could be dedicated only to your creation and inspiration, pictures, works, but all text should be in Quenya. Website like that would be a Powerful sign. It would be appreciated amongst many people.

[Edited on 19/12/2007 by MitrandilOr]
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 09:32
Such a site, books or others would have a great delight to my ear and eye, Man of the Wind, but I am afraid, that Tolkien didn't finish up this beautiful Language enough, for such a thing to be possible.
If it had been possible to use Quenya in full, indeed, I would have loved to use that language within my home as the "native" along with Sindarin. Having my books written upon them instead of Swedish or English. But alas! Such a thing is now not possible to do! Should you at any point be able to of such way find, please, do let me know!

I do not have any knowledge in the sign of the Eldar. But I have seen a website, carrying such thoughts, making it a white flower with six pads. Very beautiful, and it makes me think of a white Lily, in many ways.

I deeply apologize, for not being able to in such ways help ye, all I can do myself, is to learn Quenya and Sindarin to my hearts content and learn them the best I am able to, and as much as they are able to be learned.

Not only you, have a love for trees, so do I, and for every other part of the nature, stones included.

Again, I apologize for not being able to help ye out more.

-Raina

gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 09:42
Hi MitrandilOr, and welcome to CoE. Thanks for introducing yourself.

You were surprised 'I' didn't make such a map as you desire, but I must say that this site is not mine, nor is the property in here the property of a lonely few... there are thousands of members here that share their passion and occassionally create something that they would like to share with others, and so they can. We do have a lot of the official things like maps and poems created by Tolkien. But everything else in here is made by devoted members and artists. Perhaps you can make a map yourself if you like, and make it available for everyone else.
Concerning a site with Quenya... the same remark is valid: it's not just one person in here, and I'm sure a lot of members have thought about making a site dedicated to or solely consisting of Quenya, and I'm pretty sure there are several you can find.

Many greetings and enjoy your stay on the site,

Errandir of Gondolin
MitrandilOr
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 07:03
Hi MitrandilOr, and welcome to CoE. Thanks for introducing yourself.

You were surprised 'I' didn't make such a map as you desire, but I must say that this site is not mine, nor is the property in here the property of a lonely few... there are thousands of members here that share their passion and occassionally create something that they would like to share with others, and so they can. We do have a lot of the official things like maps and poems created by Tolkien. But everything else in here is made by devoted members and artists. Perhaps you can make a map yourself if you like, and make it available for everyone else.
Concerning a site with Quenya... the same remark is valid: it's not just one person in here, and I'm sure a lot of members have thought about making a site dedicated to or solely consisting of Quenya, and I'm pretty sure there are several you can find.

Many greetings and enjoy your stay on the site,

Errandir of Gondolin

I was thinking to put my second post as a sequel to the first, but I wasn't sure. This forum is very confused, and it looks as Veil of Maia Meliyana... it is hard for me to orientate myself to know what is where aloud, and what is not. That's why it doesn't bother me that you move my post, but I will intend to prevent that from happening again. As for the map of Arda, I own one original map of Arda, which I gained as a child from the Ambassador of England in Yugoslavia at that time, but my interests are aimed to possibility of those maps to be visible and accurate, which most maps here are not. It is funny that most people here, members of this website, goes so deep into whole this story, but not accept possibility that these maps really exist and really shows actual events / territories of what Europe, America, Asia and Africa once looks like... Because there are some others stories, published and not published, which certifies many things Tolkien wrote, and there are also many secret testimonies which confirm several important details of Tolkien "mythology". And yes, star of 6 rays or the flower of 6 pads (royal sign of Lilly = Fleur-de-lis) is the sign of Eldars in the memory of people. The point I would come to would apply to Elves - do they exist today, and behind what nation are they "hidden"?! Do you have those records, or different put, do you believe that they are available today in this today present time, that is going to change, soon?!

BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 01:52
MitrandilOr,

Are you from Yugoslavia, which if I'm not mistaken has now been broken into many pieces. What country are you from?

You are a writer and copyreader, according to your profile. Is this in your native country? One of the wonderful aspects of Council of Elrond is that there is the opportunity to write in everything from small posts (or large as yours are) to stories in several forums (what we call all these separate sections here). And there are people from all over the globe who come here not only to see all we have to offer but also to polish their English language skills.

We do have a lovely map of the area represented in the Lord of the Rings. You can find it if you click here. It's an interactive one, where you can find any specific location you are searching for. I seem to recall seeing somewhere an overlaying map that included the land of the 1st age as well as the land of the 3rd age, showing where the two were divided by the fall of Beleriand. I wish I could remember where I saw it. I will try to find it for you if I can. But some items are copywrited (a term you must be familiar with *smiles*) by the Tolkien Estate and not all of Tolkien's work is available for use.

That applies to your comment about there possibly being much of the Professor's words still be 'hidden' from us. Indeed there is....and his son Christopher has been releasing bits and pieces of it as he sorts it out. I'm sure more will be disclosed as time goes by. Much has been updated even as recently as a month or two ago when new language information was published. And of course, there is the History of Middle Earth (better known as HOMEs) which covers 12 books worth of background information of JRRT's tales.

We have no intention of making this site an entirely Quenya site....there are groups (I know of several that are part of Yahoo Groups) that focus entirely on the study of Tolkien's ancient language, as well as similar ones that focus on Sindarin. However, here on CoE, we have a very healthy language forum which you can find if you click here. You might wish to take a look at this. But as everyone who loves Tolkien does not do so strictly for his languages, CoE covers a broad scope of Tolkien related subjects to appeal to ALL of our members.

CoE remains one of the best, all round sites covering JRR Tolkien still on the internet and we who are involved here revere this site for it inclusiveness and its broad scope. We hope you will explore it thoroughly and see just how much there is here.

As for the issue of whether there are elves unseen and unknown still on earth....ask any member here and you will be assured that many of us believe that there are yet a few among us. Just as those that believe in miracles, Santa Claus, and ghosts, for example, there are many here who are true believers in the presence of elves. In fact, I have often shared in good humor with friends that Tokien could not have known so much about the world of Middle-Earth unless he was guided by an elf or two. *grins*

Enjoy your wanderings!
BerethEdhellen
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Nenya_Ring
Galadriel's Wishmaster Apprentice
Send Message
on: December 21, 2007 01:33
My, my, Errandir, you seem to have acquired a little eager helper. :angel:

Welcome, everyone, I hope you'll have a great merry time with us on CoE. :wave:

A special welcome to MithrandilOr - you never need to search too far for those truly Elven at heart. :hug:
Image ImageGaladriel's Wishmaster Apprentice
Hobsyllwin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2007 11:26
Hi =)
Well, I'm from central Europe, I'm 16 and I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's works (my 2nd great interest). Especially love elves <3 anyways, I've found this site while looking for pics and stuff...and have to say it's a great one <3
Though I love the books I never liked the movies much. There are so many scenes which aren't in the books and so many things not in the movies. To me the worst sin was that there isn't Glorfin and instead of him there's Arwen riding his horse )':
As for my interests, I love music. Heavy music. Mainly metal but rock too. A music with some rebellion!!
Aaaaahhh, it's getting quite long xD I'm off...to explore it here some more...
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 03:45
Seems I have been a little remiss in saying welcome to CoE's Newbies. I shall put that right, right here, right now.

Hellooooo and a warm welcome to you all.

MitrandilOr, I see you are of that certain age. Perhaps you would enjoy a visit to The Prancing Pony Forum and join the community of Fans Over Forty. Click here and you will be given a warm welcome.

CoE is a large site, but full of friendly and helpful people and if you seek a smaller community there are always the Realms. You can check out the short quiz and read about all of the Realms here on the Main Realms page.

So step out onto the road and see what delights await you here in our wonderful site.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 03:49
Be greeted, Hobsyllwin!

I hope you will enjoy yourself very much so, at this wonderful site!
There is actually a Glorfindel-club, maybe you should consider to join it?

Explore this terrific site to your heart's content! :cheers:

With best regards
-Raina

elfladymarti
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 06:58
Hiya Everyone! I'm Marti and I'm a 35 year old LoTR, Eragon, and Harry Potter fan! I'm from Oklahoma and I have 3 cats named Zippy, Sarah, and Spike. I have a handsome 4 1/2 year old nephew and a beautiful 18 month old niece. I've loved LoTR ever since the very first movie. I've read all of the books, but, I need to re-read them all over again. My favorite characters are: The Elves, Aragorn, The Hobbits, and Gandalf. I can't wait to meet everyone on here!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 09:08
Hello elfladymarti and Hobsyllwin :wave:

Welcome to CoE!! I'm sure you will never regret joining our wonderful site.
I can see you're very proud of your niece and nephew Marti .
It's true that a lot is altered or left out, Hobsyllwin, but PJ and the others had good reasons for it, even if only purely cinematographic. I think there are several discussions about such things in the moviesforum and/or bookforum, perhaps you can join them if you like discussing it .
Many greetings and make yourselves comfortable!!

*bows deeply to the newbies and Raina*

Errandir of Gondolin
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email