on: July 22, 2008 12:09
YAY
do you play solos or in an orchestra?
Wizards_Pupil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Musicians!
on: July 22, 2008 05:22
i can play the guitar and piano... but i have always loved the way that the violin sounds, it has a great sound!
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2008 06:46
hihi
then you have a quite different meaning about it than my x-friend. when we had a music project at school and I was going to play the violin and she was supposed to play the piano (horribly.. ) I had to stand next to her to see the music. after some time she asked me not to stand so close to her and if I could go to the other side of the room or something, because she absolutely hated the sound of my violin.. (not the playing, just the sound )

but quite some people I know think it's cool because some of their favourite bands use the violin in their songs and stuff

I'd love to play the guitar well, but I don't have enough patience for it. I know some stuff though.. D, G, C..
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: July 22, 2008 07:01
YAY
do you play solos or in an orchestra?

Solos, but I don't like to do it in front of people
Wizards_Pupil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2008 11:18
i am still learning some of the piano, your friend must have been really rude! i have always loved it Frodo, have you add a pic to your sig? it looks cool i also get really nervous performing
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2008 11:22
I'm also horrible at performances, exept in bigger orchestras..
I play some solos but try as best as I can to play them in frond of people, but I also play in two orchestras. One has about 10 members, the other about 50. and at the end of this week i'm taking part in a symphony orchestra summer camp thingy that lasts for one week. there we learn about 4/5/6 really advanced pieces of music, and we perform it at the end of the week. it's got about a 100 members and it's absolutely great fun. why don't you join next year Frodofan? :naughty:

the pictures are lovely btw

so what kind of music do you guys play? and Frodofan, do you play the electrical violin as well?
frodofan14
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 05:20
LOL, yes, I added a picture of my favorite hobbits

My mom said once I get serious about the violin, then I can get an electric one but for now, I still have a lowly wooden one

I wouldn't like an orchatra becasue I can't play along with other people very well, I make too many mistakes :blush:

I only know like 10 songs, 2 of which are LotR, 2 are LOST, one is Czech, one is from Beauty and the Beast, and the rest are really basic, easy songs (Frer Jacues :blush: ) I'm not very good.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 07:40
well I think we can all see that you like Dom

I have a black electrical one, and my friend also has one, but I think neither of us use it too much
I keep to the wooden ones. my dad's made it btw. he's made one for me and one for him self and now he's making a viola. but it must be said that I can play quite so better than him. he plays in this kind of band which plays old dance music, like the walts and stuff. I've also played abit there, and we've actually made a CD
but I don't think you can buy them in the stores.

I love playing in an orchestra. it's such a great feeling and it makes me so happy and I just love it :love:

hihi it must be fun still I wish you luck do you take lessons?
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 10:43
I play the piano... Took piano lessons for about 10 years (from I was 8 till 1, and still play some, because I simply love playing!! Back then I did some performances at small concerts and student shows and such, but nothing big...

Mostly I like to play Musical, classic, folksongs or movie themes (I got a great notest book with the 25-30 best movie themes for my birthday). And I prefer playing slow songs. I'm really bad at playing fast, I'm too clumsy... So something with more emotion and lots of changes between Piano and Forte and such...

My brother tried to learn to play the violin, and I think it's such a beautiful instrument, and much harder to learn than most instrument! So good on you for learning it, that must be sooo cool!
frodofan14
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 12:33
I take lessons, but they're soooooo boring! My sister teaches me most of the stuff
Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 12:41
I can play the violin, piano, accordion (slightly), marching fife (actually a B flat flute) and also marching drums.

I don't play anymore though... I sometimes still get my violin out but I had to stop my lessons and orchestra because they were too expensive. Our piano had to be sold as well. My mother has her accordion which she was teaching me but then she started doing a degree so that kaput and I left the Air Training Corps (Air Cadets) because of my GCSEs so I couldn't play in the marching band anymore...

I'm going to try and start up with my violin again when I go to uni but I need to get one of our old full sizes restored because my 3/4 size is way too small now...
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 11:00
YAY! so many musicans

I usually play most classical pieces as well. I like playing movie themes and folksmusic also, but I just don't have time for it.. I play sometimes with my dad though, and he almost only plays folksmusic.
I'm also not too good at playing fast, but at least I like it and get a lot of practice in it, 'cause in the big orchestra I'm playing in, we always play incredibly fast I don't really understand how I manage it.. well... I'm actually quite bad!

does your sister play the violin as well frodofan?

you surtenly play a lot of things Hravan! I think the fife is a really funny instrument I also like the bass-flute or whatever it's called..

It's so sad that you don't play anymore though
I really think you should start up again with your violin!

frodofan14
Send Message
on: July 24, 2008 05:25
Sort of, she plays guitar and piano but she can pick up any instrument and play it so she gets all the musical attention.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2008 08:18
aww.. that is so unfair.

btw. I really like all string instruments, but especially the viola and the chello. what are your favourites frodofan?
frodofan14
Send Message
on: July 24, 2008 01:18
I <3 the celllo but the violin's cool too, I also like the banjo and guitar.
Burzlondewen
Realm Head of Tulkas
Send Message
on: July 24, 2008 04:45
I play the viola!

Best memory of orchestra... playing LotR and PotC.
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 24, 2008 09:35
Wow, you played PotC?! That's so cool!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2008 05:07
I play the violin too. I've played In Dreams and Into the West. I'm also learning guitar (teaching myself) and I can play the flute although I haven't done so for a few years. I also really want to play the piano. :blush:
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2008 12:38
cool
we are really quite a huge buch of musical people here at CoE!

OMG Burzlondewen? Do you really play the viola??? I :love::love::love: that instrument!!! you've got to tell me all about it!

Now I've just come home from a one week symphony orchestra summer course (I might have mentioned it before..) and we did a great consert today

I played the 1.st violin

if anyone wants to see what music we played, they can hear some of it on youtube there are no pictures of us, just the music we played:

How-Down - Aaron Copland : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqah1rucyRg&feature=related

Kodaly - Hary Janor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSv5CvhOEsA&feature=related

Max Bruch - Violin Concerto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwmfkDQ_Ws&feature=related
and ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjw9pN0kX0&feature=related

Baba-Yaga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwiU6P16xU0

we learned all this and a couple of more songs in a weeks time, after a lot of practise..

sorry.. but I just have to boast a little bit ..
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 03, 2008 01:20
You play 1st violin, Sigrid? You must be really good then! That's so cool..

I just found out yesterday at a gathering with our neighbours that one of them said he tends to sit in his garden and listen when I play the piano with the doors open... And jokingly he invited some of the others over for a concert... I was a bit embarrassed because he kept telling how good I was, and I'm not that good...

Starofdunedain, I've played those two too, mostly the accompaning parts of it!
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2008 04:14
nooo... I'm not that good .. there was a lot of things I couldn't play..!

did he ask people to come to your consert when you didn't know..?
wow.. you must be really good if he says so .. I hope my neighbours don't do that.. but I don't think so, because only actross the street there is this really musical family. the mother is a teachers on my music school, teaching the trumpet. the father playes the horn in the "main" symphony orchestra in Norway. the oldest guy, same school as me, is really good at playing both the piano and the trumpet (too bad he's soo .. wierd..!) and the younger sister playes the violin. there is another sister as well, but she doesn't play anything as far as I know.. but I can hear music beeing played there aaaallll the time!

I've played those songs too btw.. and some of the harry potter songs. I have a music book with lots of film music in it
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 03, 2008 10:03
Lol, no, that's what he said last night, he hadn't asked them over before... I was really surprised to hear him say so, I didn't know he was interested in music at all...

Well, chosen to play 1st violin is pretty big...

Sounds like a very musical family! The other sister must feel a bit left out then, if she doesn't play anything... We're pretty musical in my family too, but not like that...

Film music is great to play, there's often so much emotion behind it, the best thing to play if you ask me... Plus, often you can do very different versions of them, giving them different feelings.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 06, 2008 08:29
hey yall...lots of musicians here!

i have played the piano for 8 years now, and my favorite to play was LOTR music....i was so excited when i go the music book! in fact me adn my bro (who played the clarinet) did Into the West as a duet and we got the biggest applause! (not boasting, lol it was just cool!)

i tried to teach myself the violin and the guitar, but didnt get far. i love the violin and want to play LOTR peices on it so bad! i want to know how to play a bunch of instruments! there are so many cool ones! like the violin, guitar, bagpipes, saxaphone, and cello! lol
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2008 10:07
hihi it must be kind of fun to have a fan.

well, no.. it's not too big, 'cause there was a lot of 12-year-olds who couldn't really play a lot..

I think she will begin to play an instrument some time

wow! everyone here really likes film music. I like to play it if I like the songs and the films, but I really prefer other sruff.. like classical and jazz and stuff. I once played Robbie Williams though

welcome in the gang Evenstar :cheers:
I really like the piano. do you play anything other than film music as well?
the clarinet and the piano seem slike a really interesting match

I think it's hard to teach oneself an instrument.. especially a string instrument like the violin.. but I might be wrong how did it go before you gave up?
haha! bagpipe I really want to learn that! It's soo cool

can I just ask you guys something.. not mean or anything.. how much do you practice your instruments?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 13, 2008 08:11
ya i play other music as well, stuff from contemporary to classics to hymns.

uh, i had to give up the violin b/c it wasnt mine to begin with (i had to give it back), but i was doing really good for teaching myself i think, and the guitar was simply, i need to get motivated again! lol

i practice very regularly b/c i play at my church, so i have to practice.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2008 08:56
can I just ask you guys something.. not mean or anything.. how much do you practice your instruments?

not enough. :blush: I don't practice my violin regularly like I should and I'm terrible when it comes to the guitar. :rolleyes:
I haven't practiced my flute in ages either.
frodofan14
Send Message
on: August 13, 2008 09:10
I practice like once a week ten minutes before the lesson :blush: it's too boring for me
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2008 10:46
wow I feel like such a nerd now ..
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2008 11:14

I'm really awful about practicing my violin. :blush: I really should try to make a better effort this year. Maybe when my roommates aren't around, because I really don't want to be arsed with dragging my violin all the way to the PA building or taking up space on the bus.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 13, 2008 12:20
why would you feel like a nerd, Sigrid? lol

at any rate all of us should practice reguraly...*gets evil eyes and threatening looks from others* i try too... :angel: hee hee lol
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2008 07:13
hehe
I feel like such a nerd because I practice about 3 hours every ((second)) day .. :blush:
xXxArendilxXx
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2008 07:50
Lol, I don't play violin or piano, but I do play Guitar + Flute! Oh yeah! the flute! (I picked it, because I really like the sound )
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 17, 2008 06:20
Flute is a very beautifully sounding instrument! I tried it shortly too, but was too occupied with my piano back then, so didn't play for more than 6 months...

Sigrid, I used to practice maybe 1½ hours EVERY day back when I was taking lessons... Now, not taking lessons, playing is just for fun, but then I can sit down and play for 3 hours or so, once every 14th day, sometimes more often, sometimes less time...

I recently took up Mozart's Sonate KV 280. One of the last pieces I learned before quitting my lessons. Not that difficult, but with a beautiful sound to it I love classical music too!

Anyone played anything from The Pianist? I got the notes book back when it got out, and I love it, because it's classical music.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email