Author Topic:
Lady_Janora
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Musicians!
on: August 17, 2008 07:10
Hi!
Great thread this one!
I play both the Piano and Flute. I almost never practise the flute and this year I'm going to change teacher. I'm going to take lessons again on the Piano, I did it before but stopped.

I also sing, I'm going to a music school (starts on thursday) and I hope to have three fun years there!

I love classical music, I get really calm and I just love it. My favourite composer is J.S Bach.
I like almost all music and I'm not a extrem fan of anything.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 17, 2008 09:29
well i dont practice that often but i certainly can or can play for fun that long!

well i sing too, in my church. i nvr took lessons.
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2008 03:55
I actually managed to make some sound from the flute once
it's really quite difficoult!

I didn't use to play as much as I do now, but I suppose I've become a bit of a playaholic or something.. but it can be a bit embarrassesing to play that much 'cause my neighbours play so well..

I'm playing something of Handel right now I think, but it's quite easy (at least I think so.. ) so I'll probably put it away quite soon.. then I'll probably do a violin concert by Bach
I too like Bach Janora, but I have many favurites. but I mostly have favourite pieces of music. i.e I just love the second symphonie of Sibelius, Sheherazade and Hungarian Dance nr. 5 by Brahms! Brahms is soo cool
anyone played anything of what I just mentioned? they're all orchestra pieces.

and thanks Janora ;P
I really like talking about music

and I too go to a music school (high school) my first day was today
and tomorrow I will have my first piano or song lesson
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 18, 2008 07:45
Janora, Bach is a wonderful composer, I've played a few pieces by him...

Sigrid, I think I've played Hungarian Dance nr. 5 once... Or a piece of it... The name rings a bell at least...

My favourite composers are Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Satie and Denes Agay, but I've played wonderful pieces by many different composers...

I envy you for going to music schools, that must be fantastic! But, if I had the chance, I probably wouldn't go anyway, so...
xXxArendilxXx
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2008 02:40
:angel: I practice about 30 minutes every other-other day .... I feel like such the not nerd. I don't practice enough, but I'm still ok

I play a teency weeency bit of piano, but nothing special.

.... :twitch: threee hours!!! thats like, like, like crazy! :twitch:
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2008 04:25
hehe three hours is not hard to do actually .. I have so much to do when I practice so actually three hours is a bit of a short time .. they just pass away so quicly .. :blush:

and I played piano today
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 23, 2008 03:23
ya for Sigrid! *claps*
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 24, 2008 12:09
Great, Sigrid!
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2008 08:33
.. thanks!
but i'm not actually that good, 'cause most of the people in my orchestra are like geniuses compared to me.. :blush:
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 25, 2008 10:32
well, at least your in an orchastra. think about it that way. lol.

sometimes i think that would be neat to do.

sometimes i dream about like, im this awsome really good violin player or singer in this orchastra thing, and like, i played or sang a solo in LOTR. :blush: and then you can hear me on the soundtrack and the movies!
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2008 04:45
I play the clarinet, mostly in a Klezmer band these days. I also play the tinwhistles and bodhran in a Scottish and Irish group....and then there's my every-now-and-then jazz group!

but I'm LOT LOT LOT older than you guys. LOL
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2008 04:09
Klezmer? I like that kind of music!

But... I play and sing myself only medieval and Hebrew religious music (non-klezmer, though, only a few are). Anything else is extremely rare in my repertoire. I also dance Israeli Religious dances.

I play: tambourine, the wooden recorder and violin. I sing as well, and make my own texts to medieval music (and made 6 texts to former carols, turning them into my own LotR versions, found in the club "Lisselambe"). I play, dance and sing in our congregation. I should practice more than I do, right now I am only using the tambourine and singing, dancing, but I have decided to try to start playing the violin and recorder as well. I have played in the past also some piano and guitar, but haven't updated myself recently, but maybe I will. However, I will never be able to become one of those great virtuosos, but I am good enough for our small congregation.
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2008 07:47
I like your dreams evenstar

what's klezmer music? and what's the tinwhistles and bodhran??

welcome in the club to tcherepin and raina! :hug:

CoE has quite the collection of musicians
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 27, 2008 04:46
o cool raina! are you Israeli? or do you just prefer that genre? that sounds really neat!

thanks, Sigrid. lol

whats Klezmer? i dont think ive heard of that b4. actually, i ask the same questions as Sigird so ill just see what you say to that!

Tcherepin, that sounds really awsome what you do. i have a scottish heritage and just love the music! especially the bagpipes. :love: i just love those!
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 31, 2008 06:35
Tcherepin, you play the bodhran? That is really cool! I knew an Irish guy once (he went to the same High School as me) who played it, wonderful instrument!

Sigrid and Evenstar1234, this is the bodhran, a very cool drum played with a stick. And the tinwhistles are exactly what it sounds like, tin whistle I bought one when I was in Dublin, and wanted to learn how to play it. It is like a small flute made out of tin, giving it a special sound.

Both instruments are used quite a lot in Irish and Scottish music.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2008 07:26
Thanks for the welcoming, Sigrid! :hug:

Well, my roots to Israel is far in the past, but it suites me well. Besides, it is part of my religion as well. (I am messianic, following the entire Bible. No Jews or others need to worry - I am not the preaching kind of person, but I do indeed live by it.)

Klezmer is a happy-sounding jazz-like music played on the clarinet.

I would love to learn how to dance Scottish, Irish and Welsh Folk-dances as well.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 31, 2008 10:50
ah, raina! a messianic Jew, then? or just messianic? or is there a diff? lol i'm Baptist. and i follow the whole Bible too. glad to see you!

interesting...Klezmer.

ya im not a dancing person, but the Scottish, Irish and Welsh folk dances look fun!

Lossendiliel, i didnt know that were there names! now i know. all this scottish talk makes me wanna get in a kilt and dance and play the bagpipes!
Shiranui
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2008 08:39
I play the clarinet, ocarina, and I'm currently learing the guitar. (I want to learn the violin though)

I love all kinds of music, except for some songs that have inapropriate content in them.

-
I'm christian, but I've never met a messianic jew before. That's awsome!
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 02, 2008 05:49
I'm not familiar with the messianic religion, what is it like?

I know how you feel, Evenstar, I feel like it too!
Beriandanwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2008 01:57
Well, here goes: it's my first time posting in this part of CoE. I used to sing in choirs, weddings etc. Don't have much time for it now, though. I tried my hand at bagpipes- boy, is it tough!
I play castanets very well. As a child I used to play hammered dulcimer and I've recently taken it up again. I don't practice nearly enough, but fortunately, I won't be performing publicly any time soon (whew!), I just do it for my own enjoyment. Not terribly good at reading music, but on the up-side, I have a decent musical ear and can often pick my way through a piece fairly quickly (not boasting). Well, that' s about it! Lovely meeting you all!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 02, 2008 02:19
why, hello, Beriandanwen! nice to meet you and see you in these parts!

castanets are the "clapper" things that you see the Spanish have alot (like in the movies?) right? if they are those look really hard to do! i've tried to do them b4 and i, uh, well, lets not talk about it.....lol :rolling:

i like the dulcimer! they are pretty and interesting instruments to play.

i read music, but that is how i was taught. i have tried playing by ear though.

hey Shiranui! :wave: like i have said before, i have tried to teach myself the guitar but i didnt follow thru. i got lazy! how long have you playing the guitar?
Shiranui
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2008 02:40
@Evenstar

I haven't been playing the guitar for very long. Maybe a little over a month.
I'm mostly self taught, and have become a little lazy in practice, now that school and what-not has started.

[Edited on 9/4/2008 by Shiranui]
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2008 01:31
Greetings, greetings all! And thanks for the warm welcome!

Let me see... A messianic Jew is from the Judah tribe of Israel. But also children from the tribe of Levi (including the kohanim - sons of Aaron) and Benjamin are included in that name. Messianic are the name of all other messianic groups. I come from Israel originally, but that was very much so long ago. We went into the Traveller people most likely about the same time as we were captured by the Assyrians. 2500 years ago? Longer? I don't know. It can also be that it was much more recent and that we came among the Travellers way after the Assyrians, and that my ancestors lived in Judah and not in the other part of Israel. I don't know. So... I think just "messianic" right now is more appropriate for me... Otherwise, I am from Levi's children.

To be messianic, literally means that you follow the entire Bible. We keep the regulations of food, the appointed times as they were written in the Bible (and followed by Jews). Some are more Christian, some more rabbinically Jewish. In our congregation, we are closer to rabbis than priests. We have many traditions as they are from the rabbis, though not every tradition. We also sing in Hebrew as well as in Swedish. We read the weeks parashat (a part from Torah = The five books of Moshe, starting the Bible), and the haftarah (a text from the prophets and scriptures). Then - being messianic - we also read the weeks portion from the 5 first books of the Torah-Comment (called New testament by others). Do I need to explain further on what it is?
(...As far as I know, baptists don't do these things... )

Put on a kilt and play the bagpipes? My best to you! I'd love to learn the women's versions! (Kilts being for men only... And the bagpipes most likely being too much for me... ) Oh, to dance and play their music! :drools:
elennilda
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2008 02:44
I play the piano. After reading this thread I would almost say 'I only play the piano', lol. But despite having had years of lessons, I don't play very well. I lost my motivation some years ago, and I practiced hardly at home. One year ago I stopped with the lessons. Now I play only for fun, and I play at least as often as when I still took lessons! I like to play the soundtrack from LOTR and sometimes also from other films, and I love to play Enya. But I also love classical music, though I cannot play most of the great pieces. From the componists I have played, I love Satie and Debussy best.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 05, 2008 02:27
aw shucks...thats bad you lost your motivation! at least you stil play for fun!

i would love to play Enya....i just LOVE :love: her voice

Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2008 08:19
hi people many posts

so much talk about irsih and schottish music I've played quite some irish/schottish folktunes on the fiddle It's so great fun!
I also know abit of the riverdance

and I'm a humanist so not religious in any way .. :]

and I'm so happy that this has become such an active forum! yay

I was on a concert yesterday it was with a big symphony orchestra. it was really beautiful music
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2008 01:53
I'd love to be able to play Enya and classic music as well. And that concert sounds pretty nice, Sigrid! And how have you been able to get hold of the sheets with the Scottish/Irish folktunes? And the riverdance?!? I'd so love to get hold of them!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 06, 2008 04:13
ooo! that would be cool! irish/scottish folk tunes on the fiddle!! nice, Sigrid!

so Sigrid, what kind of music did the orchastra play? just curious!

i have a question for all you folks: has anyone here been to a symphony orchastra that played music from LOTR? i want to know cuz i aint been to one.
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 07, 2008 04:56
I haven't sadly....

Only two times has it been close enough for me to go to, and both times I haven't been able: There was a concert in Stockholm, Sweden november last year (I think), and then one in Hamburg, Germany, february or so (while I was in New Zealand at least).... I'd love to go, so I'm crossing my fingers for it to come somewhere close sometime soon...

raina, thanks for the explanation. I know a little about Jews, and it is always a pleasure to learn more! I know something about Kosher, you follow that as well, I take it? I have just read through parts of the Old Testament, so it was interesting to hear what people you believe you are from (Levi), remembering what I read about which parts each people had, responsibilities,and such.

Lol, with the tinwhistle I bought in Dublin there was a sheet with simple tunes of famous Irish folksongs, like Scarborough Fair, Auld Lang Syne, Cockles and Mussels, and such... I think I might try and play it again....
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 07, 2008 10:50
well, i cant think of anytimes its been close to me cuz i've never paid that much attention cuz i knew i couldnt go! lol its sad! :cry:

Lossendiliel, what Dublin are you talking about? where?
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2008 06:35
I don't only have the sheets.. I also learn them off by a friend og mine who plays a lot of those tunes, and we meet up and play and have a lot of fun

I think I remember now.. it was Mahler and Symphony Fantastique or something like that..

the closes I get to a LOTR orchestra is that some friends of mine play in this symphony orchestra, and the played the POC music once
on the concert they were all dressed in pirate clothes :]

Scarborough Fair is soo beautiful! do you have Londondary Air/Danny boy as well??

Evenstar: Dublin is the capital of Ireland
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 08, 2008 11:09
ya i thought so...but you see, there's Dublin, TX; Dublin, Oh;...................lol

o dont think i know what Mahler and Symphony Fantastique is...
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2008 02:59
Greetings back all! My pleasure, Loss! Yes, I do keep kosher. Biblical one, I don't separate milk from meat, I just don't boil a goat's child in it's mother's milk. Or, so to speak, I respect life and don't do something that in my eyes anyway, would be highly disrespectful. But on the other hand, I am not very keen on meat in the first place... Though salmon with a lemon sauce is really tasty... :drool: and something I don't mind at all. But I prefer vegetables otherwise.

Sigrid, that sounds marvellous! And Loss, I'd love to find such sheets!

Wow, Evenstar! For me there was only one Dublin, and it happens to be situated in Ireland. I had no idea there were more Dublin-named cities.

I haven't attended such a symphony, but I'd love to get my hands on the orchestra's sheets... And of course I'd love to listen to all the Elven songs! :love:
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 09, 2008 05:38
well, i live in Texas, and in TX alone there is a Paris, Italy, Athens, Palestine, Holland, INdia, China, Ireland, Egypt, Warsaw, Vienna, Jericho.................(and much more!)

Has anyone on here attended a LOTR music symphony?? surely someone!!!!
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 10, 2008 01:35
Symphony Fantastique is amazingly beautiful! I have it on cd!

Yep, I have them, there's actually about 30 of them or so... Cool thing is they show which holes to cover for each tone...

Yes, I remember that "rule", my class found it quite funny at first, but in the end we agreed that it is very much true and we could all see why such a tradition exists.

I remember a couple of years back when a Jewish Professor won the Nobel prize (cannot remember which one), but they showed how they would make his dinner the day before, as the day of the Nobel prize happened to be the same day as the Sabbath, and you may not cook at the day of the Sabbath. It was really interesting to learn more about what they could and could not, plus how much they would help him so he wouldn't have to break any of these rules.

Yes, I am speaking of Dublin, Ireland. I didn't know there was another Dublin, but I have heard from American friends that they do have a lot of cities named after other cities and countries in the world (or is it the other way around...)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email