Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Musicians!
on: November 11, 2010 09:18
Thanks for the link. Good thing my dad's bringing some more ink soon, I'll be printing them all off!
openmeadow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2010 09:22

[Edited on 11/11//1010 by openmeadow]
ElwingAndEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2010 01:10
Oboe is fun, and its a very rare instrument compared with others. Bands usually have two to four, compared with like Clarinets which are around 20-30.
"The Deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song..." - Haunting the Realm of Vaire as the Corrupted Major - Find me as Silmarilz1701 everywhere else
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2010 03:12
I love music beyond most other things

I've played cello for ten years, doublebass for six, Tuba/sousaphone for two and I play Alto sax, bari sax, piano, trumpet, violin, viola and flute on and off.

I have a very small orchestra at my shcool (7-10 people) and my very lazy BD has charged me with finding new music for this year so guess what I've found! The Piano sheet music for a few LOTR songs and I'm transposing them for a string quartet, which should sound great with ten or so people. I'm gonna type them into finale at some point so if anyone is interested ing ettign the music, PM me

So far I have:
Concerning Hobbits (Violin 1 & 2, Viola, Cello)
Aniron (Violin 1 & 2, Viola, Cello)
In Dreams (Violin 1 & 2, Viola, Cello)
Gollum's Song (Cello)
May it Be

Any one here do/doing marching mand in HS?

[Edited on 30/11/2010 by Ayker]
Turvainiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2011 11:47
Hey all musicians!

I was actually the one who started this thread, but I've taken a brake and then changed by account since then. But now I thought I'd pop by again!
it's so nice to see that there's still some musicians here! ^^

I still play the violin and I actually have some exams soon.. :/
and I play a littlebit of piano too, still, but right now I only know the theme tune for "Up" and "the Brothers Bloom"

WOW Ayker! You play a lot of instruments! and so many of them are soo cool! I wish I could play some more instruments :/
I have a very small orchestra too, though not at my school, and I hardly ever have time to come..
what instrument do you play in your orchestra btw?
sounds soo cool with LOTR-string quartet! good luck with that

.. I have a looooot of frinds in marching bands if that counts?
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2011 10:17
I love playing bass guitar! And maybe a little guitar, though I'm not very good at it. xD

I also enjoy playing piano (well, keyboard really). My sister used to play some LotR songs, but I think we lost the music sheets. Will have to try and find them again!
Legolas96
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2011 01:56
I play the guitar and the violin (:
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2011 07:01
I play guitar, write music, and sing with my two sisters. We have our own "band" (meaning we play for our parents) called Turn Right, after the Jonas Brothers' song "Turn Right" about turning to Jesus in hard times. Most of our songs are about especially heavy burdens...

~Frodo (the Second)
Caden
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2011 01:01
In the room I share with my sisters we have a violin, two guitars, a keyboard, a clarinet, a recorder, and a trumbone and I can't play any of them.
My biggest problem is I can't read sheet music. If I could understand that, I could play. But I sing ALL THE TIME and hope to become a singer someday.
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2011 12:14
I play the piano and sing. I'm a soprano. Usually people ask me if I'm first or second soprano; the answer is I don't know. But I can sing "Wuthering Heights" by Kate Bush (but I like it done by Hayley Westenra better; that's the one I listen to) and "The Phantom of the Opera" if that tells you anything.
On that note, does anyone know which is the higher one, first or second soprano?
And I would like to play the violin, harp, and organ. But I can only do so much at once.
"Though she be but little, she is fierce." -A Midsummer Night's Dream
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2011 07:07
The first soprano is the higher one. I was in a choir myself some five years ago, and I was a second soprano. Then we got a new teacher and she merged 2nd soprano with alto... that was a bit too low for me, but the 1st soprano on the other hand sometimes too high pitched.
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2011 06:58
I found an arrangement of "May It Be" but the left hand's part is a little boring, so I'm looking for one that's more interesting without being too difficult; I want to learn it as soon as possible. Does anyone know where I can find "Into the West" and "Gollum's Song" for free?
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2011 10:17
I am in a choir, but I usually only sing as a group and not as a soloist. I also play the drums and the guitar. Either one for the choir.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Marlewyn
Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 05, 2011 04:50
Ellirwen, I've generally found that any sheet music on the internet labeled "Free" turns out to be a link to a computer virus But maybe that's just my luck... :killcomp: You could probably find a few websites where you could order it cheap.

I started out on the violin five years ago, learned viola three years ago, and now I'm picking up piano, guitar, cello and ukulele. I can sing a bit as well, but I couldn't harmonize to save my life
elizabethgreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2011 06:44
Well hello,
I play piano, flute, guitar, ukulele, and am soon learning harp.
Latarina15
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2011 05:18
wow there are alot of musicions here! i havent seen anyone who playes the saxophone though. does anyone play saxophone? (that is what i play if u didnt already guess that
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: July 04, 2011 07:03
I've thought about learning, because Tenor Sax fingerings are the same as flute, but no luck getting a sax to try so far... Maybe Christmas.

I don't usually have success finding sheet music online, but there are books (one for the whole trilogy on flute, and one for each movie on piano) that I have that have some of the songs in them. I got them at the local music place, Marshall Music, you could probably find them where you live.

I've played Gollum's Song, and May it Be, Into the West, actually anything in the piano books I mentioned I can play.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
Latarina15
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2011 06:40
if you want my opinion you should definately try learnin the tenor sax while i play the alto i can play tenor and its a good instrument but i totally understand having trouble finding a good instrument.
i would like to find a book of the LotR music for sax though that would be alot of fun.
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2011 03:34
I play the piano and a little violon. Mostly I play classical music, and I'm especially fond of the wiener classic and romantic genres. Sometimes I play some music from movies/musicals too.

It's really nice that there are so many musicians around here! There are not too many of them in the place were I live.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2011 06:11
Oh! I got The Phantom of the Opera music book for Christmas, and I've played some songs from it! So far I can play The Phantom of the Opera, The Music of the Night, Angel of Music and half of The Point of No Return.

Deja vu. . . .I know I posted this before. I just don't know where. . . .hmm.
Huin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2011 11:16
I play piano mainly by ear. Lately I've been trying to teach myself to sight read better. Bass clef has kept me from doing that for years, but I'm finally tackling it.

I can play flute a little. I grew up playing clarinet, but last time I got my hands on one I'd forgotten the technique and sounded terrible. X)

In my choir I'm an alto, but would probably be more along the lines of 2nd soprano if the choir was big enough to contain all the parts. (Ellirwen, if you can sing Phantom without breaking on the high notes, that is definitely 1st soprano.)

Image ImageRealm of Vairë, Corrupted faction
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2011 09:04
Sometimes I break the last super-high note at the end of The Phantom of the Opera (the song), I think it's a b-flat(?). I've heard that hitting a note that high too often is bad for your vocal chords. Is that true or an old wives' tale?

I played piano by ear for a long time before I actually had lessons. I don't know how much theory you've had, Huin, but the book I'm using is a teach-yourself, basically everything you need to know about music theory book. It is called "Practical Theory Complete" by Sandy Feldstein.
Huin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2011 11:22
Ellirwen - Hmm, I'm not sure if it's an old wives' tale, I don't know much about the world of the upper register. I have a hard enough time with high E on a good day.

I had a theory class last year which helped quite a bit. I'll have to see if my local library has the book you mentioned.
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2011 02:19
It's a workbook so they might not, but I don't think it was very expensive.
Huin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2011 09:34
Yeah, wishful thinking on my part. I added it to my Amazon wishlist. Though it's reasonably priced, $ is not something I've got much of these days..
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2011 10:04
Trust me, I definitely understand that. I don't either. And as far as priorities go, that's really not very high on the list.
I am learning "The Breaking of the Fellowship" for the piano. It is sounding really good. The key change is hard though. It goes from two sharps to four. And then slips in naturals. Slightly confusing, but it sounds amazing.
PeregrinGuardoftheCitadel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2011 03:11
I play guitar and a little (very little) piano. But I sing and write songs with my sisters.
~PeregrinGuardoftheCitadel, aka Charlie Pace, aka Elizabeth Swan, aka just me
willa
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2011 08:57
I play the piano mostly by ear or video tutorial, although my music teacher is trying really hard to get me to read the sheet music, and have way too much ADD to learn a complete song, so I mostly know intros (and mainly just one hand) but I'm trying to learn My Immortal from Evanescence. Just have trouble finding time to practice as I'm trying to get into med-school. but just as a way to relax (or as an excuse not to look at my books anymore) during exams I play a little when I'm not too tired to unearth my piano (its used as local storage in this house)
IarwainBen_adar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2011 08:05
hey fellow musicians i am studying music atm, main instrument is singing, but i also play the violin and some guitar also doing some composing
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2011 11:14
I love the violin! It's one of my favorite instruments. Someday I want to learn to play it... I have a long list of instruments I want to learn...
IarwainBen_adar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2011 06:40
i just want to play 'em all myself concerning hitting high notes, it's about having the right technique. there are a lot of factors which can help you, firstly, i suggest working on some breathing techniques. i really recommend checking out this site: http://www.perbristow.com/
if you're not interested in having a "vocal coach"
hope that helps if you have any more questions about music, i'll be glad to help!
legolasfan154682
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2011 03:25
Wow. A lot of people play violin. I play trumpet. I used to play piano, but i quit a couple weeks ago.
IarwainBen_adar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2011 06:39
the trumpet is awesome! why did you quit the piano?
legolasfan154682
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2011 03:23
I was getting frustrated. I wasn't learning anything new, and my wrists, which are injured, hurt when I play.
IarwainBen_adar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2011 08:38
aww... that sucks
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email