Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567
Author Topic:
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Elrond's Message (PM or post in the OOC for pending approval)
on: May 28, 2009 02:39
As they rode through the green hills and the other hobbits stared at them, Merkawen murmured to Lucy, "Are we supposed be getting these people to fight? It doesn't look like they even know how!" As an afterthought, she added, "And call me Merkawen, please."

The hobbits looked like they'd never seen an elf before, and Merkawen was beginning to feel self-conscious. She examined the emotion carefully - it was a new one. She started to ask "Are we there yet?" but switched in mid-sentance to "Are we going to ask these hobbits to help or not?" which she thought was a bit more pertinent.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2009 03:12
"Oh,don't worry! We haven't gotten to the Tooks yet! You see,most of us hobbits could care less about fighting and the out side world,but my clan,along with the Brandybucks,do care,somewhat. We like adventures,but can be content at home,too. Most are fair archers,and a few have some skill with a sword,though few develop it. We Tooks can be very easygoing,but give us a reason to fight,and we can,and will,though you'd never know it to talk with most of us. Unless you're a hobbit yourself. My family,well the whole clan,is thought quite odd by most other hobbits.

"And we do have a reason to fight. Those goblins are getting too close to our home,Dad will understand,and he'll tell Uncle,the thain,and he's in charge of the whole clan,well,the whole Shire,really,but no one pays any mind to that any more,to most it's just a fancy title,the mayor really holds the power,but we hobbits don't really need anyone in charge of us,we just mind our own bussines,and they mayor and shiefs are really mostly for show."

At first Lucy wondered why several hobbits were staring at HER,and not just Merkawen. And then she remembered,she was still wearing shoes! She took them off,and wished she had done it sooner,her feet could breath,and it was so much more comfortable with out them.

After riding for a few hours,the smells of Lunch came her way,though she had some food in her saddlebags,she noticed an Inn. "Wait just a minute,Merkawen,it's lunchtime,I know we have food,and not enough time to stop,but I'm just going into that Inn over there and bring out some food,you wait here,it's too small for you to stand up in." Lucy ran in before Merkawen could reply.

She came out soon with a basket of food,potatoes,a bit of pork ,some tomatoes and the most prized,mushrooms. She handed some of it to Merkawen. "Here,it's likely not what you're used to,but it's pretty much the best tasting stuff in all of Middle Earth,have you ever had mushrooms? They're the best!"

[Edited on 31/5/2009 by Lucy_Took]
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2009 03:55
As soon as Arvanion arrived in the city-proper, a trio of elves greeted him and Du-finnion. Radavik had already rode off with the others to find proper lodging, but the elven knight insisted on remaining by Arvanion's side.

"Greetings, messenger of Lord Elrond," said the tallest of the elves courteously. "I am Galdor, Cirdan's lieutenant. What tidings do you bring us?"

"None good, I'm afraid," said Arvanion. "Indeed, there was much peril on the road here. We barely escaped with our lives. Still, we are here, but ere long we must leave again, with all haste."

Galdor raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Your news is urgent, then?"

"Yes," said Arvanion. "We must see Lord Cirdan at once."

"Follow me," said Galdor, beckoning to them. "Belegorn and Aranel will tend to your mounts." Du-finnion dismounted, groaning slightly as he adjusted to walking rather than riding. Arvanion smirked slightly: he was used to long hours in the saddle, but apparently the elven knight was not.

"I thought you fought on horseback," muttered Arvanion to his companion. Du-finnion blushed.

"Indeed we do, but it has been long since I last rode forth."

Galdor led them through the streets of the port, pausing now and then to greet another elf walking by. Among so many of the Elder kindred, Arvanion felt strange and alien. He had chosen a mortal life.

Galdor finally stopped in front of a magnificent white building, knocked thrice on the door, and entered. Arvanion and Du-finnion followed. Before them, Cirdan was sitting at a desk, charts and ship blueprints spread out in front of him. He looked up as Galdor cleared his throat.

"Greetings, Galdor," he said. "Who are these strangers?"

"I am Arvanion, Elrond's messenger, and this is my aide, Du-finnion. We have ridden long and hard to reach you. I bring urgent tidings from the Lord of Rivendell." He produced the scroll and handed it to the Lord of Mithlond. Cirdan looked over it for a moment, and his face darkened.

"Fell tidings indeed," he muttered. He rolled up the scroll and placed it on the table. Without a word, he walked over to the window, gazing out at the Sea.

"'Tis beautiful, is it not?" Cirdan said softly to himself. Coming out of his reverie, he turned to Galdor.

"Well, old friend, it seems we must go to war again. No navy of Gondor is calling us to battle this time; 'tis Lord Elrond himself. The Hills of Evendim will echo once more with our battle-cries!" Galdor bowed and ran out to rally the folk of the Havens. Cirdan turned to Arvanion. "Your lord will get the help he needs, rest assured. You are tired, I see. Rest while you may; tomorrow's need will be sterner."

Now that his task was complete, Arvanion felt exhaustion threaten to overwhelm him. He bowed and, staggering slightly only to be steadied by Du-finnion, walked off to find their lodgings.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2009 01:24
Naegauth stood by the docks looking out to the sea. He had been there for almost an hour, looking out into the sea. A soft sea-breeze flew into Naegauth's face and he let out a sigh of relief.

"After all of this fighting is over," he thought to himself, "I think that I will come back here to gaze upon the sea once more. I have no desire to return to Mirkwood. I don't think that I will ever return there."

Naegauth sighed and started to head back to his lodgings. He passed by Eleniel and Elurin near the fountain, but chose not to approach them. Naegauth entered into his lodge and threw himself onto his cot. The soft feather mattress was very comfortable compared to the hard ground that Naegauth had been used to sleeping on for so long. Daereth was on one of the pillows that he had lain out for her on one of the tables. She looked comfortable and he was glad for that. He knew that her wing probably hurt alot, but it was healing quickly.

Naegauth put his head back on the pillow and stared at the ceiling for some time. Soon weariness overtook him and he finally went to sleep.
Loslote
Send Message
on: May 30, 2009 06:43
Home! Lucy could see the Smials, great and welcoming. "We're here! Merkawen,that's it, that's my home, Great Smials! Come, you must meet my parents." Lucy dismounted and led the elf to one of the doors. Merkawen followed silently.

"Mum!" Lucy shouted, running to a hobbit standing near the door. The older hobbit stood up and they embraced. "Oh, Mum, I've missed you. It's good to be home."
The older hobbit motioned for Lucy to come inside, turned to Merkawen, and said, "Well,I'll be! I knew our little lass was off with you elves, but I never thought she'd bring one home! Come on in, my husbands already in, it's time for lunch, why don't you join us?"
Lucy walked in and hugged her father,who had been just starting his meal. "Dad,it's so good to see you!"Lucy said. Merkawen stood, silent again, nearby, watching the reunited family. Lucy turned to her, saying, "Mum, Dad, this is Merkawen. She's on a mission that I ran into, we came for help, we can talk about that over lunch. Merkawen,this is my Dad, Isenbold Took," here she turned to her mother, "and this is my Mum,Ivy Took." Merkawen bowed and murmured a greeting. They both sat down and told the tale of the message and how they needed help to push back the goblins.
Isenbold listened and said, "Well, I suppose we should help. Now don't look at me like that, Ivy, you know as well as I that those pests are coming closer and closer. Before we know it, they'll be in the Shire, and then what will we do? Now is the time to act, we have the help of those elves - odd as they may be, they are bigger and wiser than we are."
While Merkawen looked up gratefully, Lucy replied,"Good,I'm glad to have your support. Shall I get Uncle Grim, and then go spread the word?"
Isenbold turned to Lucy. "No,that can wait. Today is your cousin Daisy's 33rd birthday, a rather large party is planed, we can make the announcement then. All of the family will be there, and a good deal more friends. No, just wait here until tonight, go on, I'll have someone show your friend to one of the larger rooms, and you can both get baths, and you can change out of your traveling clothes into something more festive." Lucy's father turned to Merkawen. "I'd offer you something to change into, but, well, I'm sorry, but we don't have anything your size."
Lucy's mother spoke up. "But it's wash day. Talk that off, get a bath and I'll have what you have on washed in no time, while you wait, you might be able to were a long night gown." Merkawen thanked Lucy's parents and went to enjoy her first bath in weeks. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Lucy beaming as she ran to her own bath. The hobbit must feel happy to be home, she reflected.
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2009 02:44
Elurin locked Eleniel with his eyes... finally he spoke. "Yes, I have wondered for a long time what I was feeling... I still don't understand but... yes I feel something very odd." They sat in silence for the rest of the night. Each of them sifting through their different thoughts.

Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2009 08:36
Eleniel sighed as the stars began to disappear and the eastern sky became brighter. She stretched from her meditative position and locked eyes with Elurin. "It has been a pleasure to spend this time with you," she spoke softly. "Thank you." Then she blushed and looked away, her hair covering her face.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 07, 2009 05:47
Lucy had no idea how long she spent in the bath,the lack of baths was one of the few things that she hated about travaling,and it felt so good to be in a tub of warm water,and she started singing a old bath song as she splashed about. After she got out,she slipped on a robe and ran to her room and put on a green dress with a brown bodice and on top of that she put on a cheerful yellow apron. She then went down to tea,and was going to go look for Merkawen and ask her to join her when Lucy's sister,Anabella,the one closest to her at 26 came in. Lucy quickly forgot about Merkawen and sat down to a long long meal catching up with her sister,hearing about town gossip,what the others were doing and about the coming party,and telling of the adventures that she had been in. Time quickly passed,the time for the party was very near,and Lucy finally went to found Merkawen and started explaing how hobbits celabrated,and how Elves were almost never seen in the Shire and not to be suprised at anything that they may say about her.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2009 01:25
(OOC~To be noted: at the moment I am controlling Elurin in Eladan's absence...he gave me permission.)

Eleniel finally looked up when Elurin said nothing and she found he was staring intently at her again. Hesitantly, he touched her hand again. Eleniel stiffened at the spark she felt from his touch but she did not pull away. What was this feeling? She had been so alone and she had liked it. But she liked the feeling of his cool hand on hers. Their locked eyes did not break as she pondered all this, absently wondering if he could see the thoughts in her eyes.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2009 02:25
((OOC: Sorry, lovebirds, but I'd better get this army on the road...))

Arvanion was awoken early by the tramp of marching feet outside. He yawned, stretched, and went to the window. Outside, line upon line of elves, some marching and some riding, were heading to the rally of troops that Cirdan had declared would be near the eastern edge of Mithlond. Arvanion descended the stairs to Du-finnion's room. The elven knight was sitting propped up against the doorpost with a drawn sword, fast asleep. Arvanion gently shook him awake.

Du-finnion started. "I didn't fall asleep," he said guiltily. Arvanion grinned and shook his head.

"To tell the truth, I'd have been angry if you didn't fall asleep. Do you want to end up dead in battle just because you couldn't stay awake?"

"Well, I--"

"Besides, do you expect anyone to attack me in Mithlond?" asked Arvanion. Du-finnion opened his mouth, shut it, and finally burst out laughing.

"We're marching as soon as we've been fed," said Arvanion, pulling on his cuirass and buckling his sword-belt. Du-finnion rose to his feet and groaned; Arvanion looked at him sympathetically.

"Sleeping in armor isn't good for you, you know."

"Tell me about it," said Du-finnion, stretching and then sheathing his sword. Hooves clattered outside, and a loud knock sounded on the doior.

Arvanion opened it to reveal a breathless elfling holding the reins of both horses. "Here are your mounts, sirs," he panted, bowing. Arvanion smiled at him.

"Thank you," he said, returning the bow. The elfling flushed red and ran off before he could be embarrassed further. Arvanion watched him go with an indulgent smile.

"That saves us a walk. Come, we'd better get to the rally."

Radavik, Belegann, and the others were already waiting for them. The Mirkwood captain looked worried. "Have you seen Merkawen lately?" asked Thandir.

"I can't say I have," said Arvanion with a reluctant shrug. "Why?"

"Because we can't find her, or Lucy for that matter, anywhere," said Erolas.

"I'm sure she'll come to no harm," Arvanion reassured them. "I'd think that the only people who'd get hurt would be anyone who tries to hurt her."

"That's what I'm afraid of," muttered Thandir. The rest chuckled; the tension was broken. Arvanion looked towards the impromptu podium that had been set up for Cirdan. The leader of the Havens himself was there, resplendent in silver armor.

"We've heard that the goblins are on the attack again. We cannot risk to sally forth with our entire army, but neither can we stand back passively and let them overrun Eriador. Our kindred will not be able to pass to our havens, and thence over the sea, if we fail to protect the road. I, the messengers, and seven hundreds of the best riders will set forth. The remainder of you must prepare for an attack on Mithlond if worst comes to worst. Hold strong, and may the Valar give us strength!" A mighty cheer arose from the elven host as they dispersed to their positions. Arvanion took his place behind Cirdan, with the rest of his company arrayed behind him. Hundreds of elven horsemen followed, their armor and lances shining silver in the bright sun. Arvanion felt invincible: truly, this was the feeling of power. They were going to war.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2009 01:16
After an almost restless night, Naegauth woke up on his bed. Luckily he was used to not getting much sleep. He put all of his protective gear on and grabbed his weapons. Daereth was still asleep by his bed. Her wing was fully healed and she would be able to fly finally. Naegauth picked her up and walked out the door into the sunlight.

The city gleamed under the sun and the ocean was glittering gloriously. It was quite a sight to behold. Naegauth sighed deeply and walked to the stables to find his horse. When he got there he found that it was properly fed, cleaned, and its harness was already equipped on it.

"These Elves are very polite," Naegauth said to himself.

He grasped the reins and led his horse towards the place that he guessed was their meeting place before they would depart to war. He saw Cirdan on a podium saying a few words before they would depart. Neaguath missed most of it because of his late arrival, but was still enthralled by his mighty words.

Naegauth had never seen so many Elves in one place at once in such a long time. He felt a little nervous about the presence of so many people, but would not show it. He spotted most of his friends standing around but a couple were missing. Lucy and Merkawen. He knew that they weren't the type of people to come that late to miss this gathering, so he assumed it wasn't a good thing. He felt slightly worried, but he knew that if something happened, that everyone would have been informed.

Naegauth pushed the thought away for now and mounted his horse as the great company began to depart.
Loslote
Send Message
on: June 26, 2009 05:37
Belegann fidgeted throughout Cirdan's speech. He was sure it was great and inspiring, judging from the awe and inspiration on his companion's faces, but he heard not a word of it. He worried about Merkawen instead. She had better not have gone off on her own - the last time that happened didn't bear remembering. He glanced at Thandir, Galion, and Erolas, who all met his gaze anxiously. If the princess was hurt, they wouldn't be able to show their faces in Mirkwood again! Plus, they had grown attached to her. Eru only knew why. Belegann murmured softly to the others, "Where can she have gone?"
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2009 06:12
"Its time to go." Elurin said softly. "The elves are prepared for war and they are to begin the long march. Are we going to go on with Arvanion or do you wish to return?" Eleniel bit her lip,"We need to go with them, if there is going to be a war they will need my help and they will need you I am sure." Elurin nodded and stood up pulling Eleniel with him. "Well then we must be quick."
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 28, 2009 06:57
The party finally came,Lucy remembered how much fun these celeabrations were! She had simply been leading Merkawen,until she caught sight of the tent,then she was almost dragging the poor Elvin princess! Her ears picked up on the music that was coming,and her feet just wanted to dance! And the smell of food was calling her name. But before she dance or eat,there were people to greet,and Daisy to congradulate,and Merkawen to introduce to the hobbits that came up to ask about her almost as soon as she had entered the gate. Oh,and she couldn't forget Uncle Isengrim. Telling him the plan was really the only reason for coming. So she hurredly introduced Merkawen,hugged a few(or a dozed) relations,gave a quick word to Daisy(but this wasn't unussual,she was busy,and Lucy prefered spending time with her more lively cousins,Daisy always was the model young lass) and then found the Thain,all while fairly dragging a confused Merkawen. Together they told of what was going on(pretty equally,Lucy knew Isenbold,Merkawen knew what she was talking about.) And the Thain had the same reaction as his bother-

"Well,I do see your point. I'll make the anouncement as soon as my Daisy's made her speech and we'll talk about it over cake. If all goes as it should,we'll gather our rebelion tomorrow morning".

Lucy hugged her uncle,and ran off to join the festivities,releasing Merkawen while she grabbed a roll and dashed off to dance with one of the Brandybucks. After having a few dances,she heard a song starting for a simple dance,so she found Merkawen and taught her the steps to a dance that was anything but elvish.
Loslote
Send Message
on: June 29, 2009 03:00
Merkawen endured the party in mostly silence, and said her bit to the chief hobbit, but this dance was too much. She tugged out of Lucy's grasp at the first chance and retreated to the edge of the clearing, gasping for breath. She watched the energetic dancers, and winced inwardly. She wondered whether Belegann and the others had figured out what had happened yet. Somehow, she hoped not. A sharp squeal jolted her out of her reverie. She looked down, and saw a group of hobbit children.

"Are you an elf?" one of them said.

"Yes," Merkawen replied, glancing about for Lucy to save her.

"Do you know other elves?" another hobbit child asked.

Oh, Eru, Merkawen thought. "Yes," she confirmed.

"Can you do elvish magic for us?" another squealed.

"Um, no, sorry," Merkawen sighed.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2009 08:00
Eleniel checked her ever-present healer's bag and made sure that she had everything she needed. Then she checked her knives and smiled to herself. She was almost a walking armory herself with all those knives. Elurin brought his horse up they mounted and rode to join the gathering army. Eleniel grasped the saddle pommel nervously and tried not to blush as she realized that Elurin was very near behind her, his arms around her waist as he guided the horse. As they rode up, she was awed by the gathered Elves. There were SO many and they all looked wonderful in their armor and weapons. She felt pifyfully shabby in her plain habit that she had worn for many years. The army began to move out and Elurin guided the horse forward to join the masses of departing Elves.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2009 01:12
As usual, Naegauth rode a ways away from the main group and kept to himself. He hoped that they wouldn't run into the trolls again on the way back. Daereth was wide awake right now and Naegauth picked it up with his fingers.

"You are going to have to go away for a while," he said to it softly, "You will be in danger if you are so close to me. Go on and fly around for a while. You need to get your wings going a bit anyway."

The bird did not want to go but eventually jumped of his fingers and flew off into the distance. Naegauth felt quite sad about parting with his childhood friend, but knew that it was for the best. He often wondered why the bird lived so long in the first place. He just thought of it as some strange miracle, and let the idea wander away in his thoughts.

"At least I still have you here," he said while patting his horse without a name.

[Edited on 22/7/2009 by Passepartout]
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 04, 2009 03:43
Luckly for Merkawen,just then Dasiy got up and made a pretty standered birthday speech. After that was done,Isengrim Took came up and expained of the rebelion against the orcs.

At first many of the hobbits were wary of going to battle,but after much debate,all of the males decided that they would leave in the morning. Soon after,they all went home.

"Wasn't that an exiting night?" Lucy asked Merkawen,"it was so nice to be at a party again. Tomorrow will be terrible though,I have to convince Mum and Dad to let me go. Dad might let me if he knows that I'm the only one who knows the way,yes Merkawen,you know I lead you most of the way here,and you couldn't find your way back. Mum on the other hand...I might be her middle child,but I'm still a baby to her" Lucy chuckles a bit,"Well,at only 27,I suppose I still am,really for 6 more years."
Loslote
Send Message
on: July 05, 2009 06:55
"I wasn't going to say anything," Merkawen assured the hobbit. "I couldn't find my way back to your house alone, and I can see it already!" Admittedly not the most amusing joke she'd ever thought of, but she was wearied by the hobbitlings. Merkawen was glad that Lucy's family was helping, but she couldn't help wishing they could move just a little bit faster...
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2009 02:47
Elurin felt crowded in by all the elves. He wanted to to move a little faster too... Elurin moved his horse toward Arvanion.

"Excuse me but where are we going to make camp? If it is alright with you I will ride on ahead with Eleniel and prepare camp for us... I feel the need to still my thoughts."

Elurin kept focus as he spoke, but it was hard having her so near him. Elurin shoved the thoughts aside and focused his eyes on Arvanion.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 08, 2009 11:42
Lucy gave Merkawen a small smile. "Thanks. I'm not so sure that I want to go,but I know I need to. I can't just take the fun parts of an adventure,and leave the dangerous parts behind." as they near the house,Lucy gathers the courage to ask something she had been wondering. "Merkawen,I've been wondering,how old are you? I know you're older than me,but well,you still seem to almost be an elfling,like I'm really still a 'tweenager,old enough to do anything,but not yet of age."

(OOC-answer and bring on the morning,if you wish,Loslote.)
Loslote
Send Message
on: July 08, 2009 02:26
Merkawen blushed. "Admittedly...not that old. My brothers are both a few millennium older than I am. In the standards of my people, I am still young." Merkawen parted from Lucy as they entered the house, each going to their own beds.

~~~~~~

Belegann rode toward the edge of the group with Thandir, Erolas, and Galion. His companions were uncomfortable with so many elves, especially since these were Noldor. Belegann had lived with the Noldor for years, so they didn't bother him, but the ancient rivalry was still in full effect with the others.

~~~~~~

Merkawen rose early the next morning, eager to set out. She ate a hurried breakfast, but nothing she said could possibly hurry the hobbits. She fidgeted restlessly, waiting for them to finish eating.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2009 03:48
The army moved on, over hills and through small woodlands. The tramp of marching feet sounded on and on, and Arvanion found himself grow complacent. His usual alert watch faded into resigned boredom: although they had taken a mere week to reach the Havens from the edge of the Weather Hills, an army on foot moved slower.

Thus it was, on the third night since they had marched forth, they reached a somewhat familiar stretch of path. Arvanion glanced around and yawned. "This looks as good a place as any to make our camp."

Radavik shrugged. "I myself don't like the looks of it..."

An earsplitting roar that was chillingly familiar echoed through the forest, and Arvanion whipped out his bow. "The trolls!" he yelled. "Three of them... they're still here!"

"Defensive positions!" bellowed Galdor. The foot soldiers formed into a line with pikes extended while the mounted knights formed up behind them. The archers fitted arrows to their bows.

"This doesn't look good," said Radavik grimly. "Even with pikes, how can soldiers on foot hope to stand up to trolls thrice their size?"

"You prophesy doom at every turn," sighed Du-finnion. "We may yet survive this."

"Or not," muttered Radavik, too softly to be heard by the others. Arvanion turned to Du-finnion to reply.

"All the same, we must fight and win this battle, or our supply lines will be cut." Arvanion gasped as the first of the trolls lumbered out of the woods
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2009 01:20
Naegauth yelled in surprise when he saw the troll barrel through the trees towards the army. He immediately drew his bow and started to fire arrows at it with great precision. He was lucky that he hadn't thought about unstringing it along the way.

The troll roared as many arrows flew into its hide. Naegauth rode up next to Arvanion, Radavik, and Du-finnion.

"I'm not very happy to see this fellow again," Naegauth said, "I somehow knew that this was going to happ-" Naegauth was cut off as two other trolls burst through the trees to aid the other one.

"Oh, my," Naegauth said with an annoyed tone, "It looks like his friends have come to join us!"

[Edited on 24/7/2009 by Passepartout]
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2009 02:22
Elurin reigned in his horse as the troll burst through the forest. The elves were fast and started firing arrows at the troll. Elurin pulled his horse aside and let Eleniel down. He quickly pulled up his bow and aimed at the troll when suddenly two others appeared. Elurin swore under his breath. One troll they could handle but three... He hoped there would be no casualties. Elurin aimed at the nearest troll and fired; it was going to be a long fight.
Loslote
Send Message
on: July 24, 2009 01:27
Belegann stared in shock as the trolls roared in anger. He snapped out of it quickly, though, and started firing arrows at them, Thandir, Galion, and Erolas flanking him. He shoved through to where others from the company fought. "Now what?" he asked grimly. "We barely got away from these beasts last time!" He aimed more carefully as he shot, not wanting to waste a single arrow.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 02, 2009 07:19
Lucy finishes her breakfast rather quickly for a hobbit and whispers to Merkawen as she leaves to her room."Be patient,this is fast for us,just wait.

Once in her room,she took off the cotton dress she had been wearing,and then put on a linen under shift,and over that the leather tunic that she have received for a birthday present from one of her friends in Rivendel. She wished she had some chain mail,but no one would give that to a hobbit lass for weapons practice and hunting parties. Still,the leather was better than what most of her kin had,and this worried her.

Tunic on,she slipped on a pair of loose pants. Odd attire for a lass,they had belonged to an elfling that had outgrown them,and Lucy had kept them,while she could do almost everything in a dress as in the pants,skirts got in the way of a few things and she had left the pair in her room last visit. For once,Lucy was glad she forgot something.

After that came the shoes. Though Lucy preferred not to wear shoes,it was impractical not to have them in battle.

Last she strapped on her bow and quiver,and her dagger.

On the outside she looked as prepared as a hobbit could be for battle,on the inside she was terrified. Thoughts raced though her head What was I thinking!? I've never seen a war,only heard of it. I can use a bow...but the elves are so much better,what difference are hobbits going to do? And my family?! Dad,Milo and Bill are all fighting too,Dad might be better than I in shooting,but last time I visited home,I bested Milo and Bill in shooting,and I'm not even that good! But we have to go. If we don't,the goblins will come,and then we'll have to fight,want to or not. Oh Rhachon le Orch!*,somehow cursing the goblins felt good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Within ten minutes it was time to leave. She did all she could to hold back tears as she hugged and kissed her Mum goodbye and mounted her pony to lead the group of hobbit men,some wet drops slipped out as she looked at the group. There were Uncles,cousins,friends,and...brothers,none dressed properly for battle. It also felt odd to be leading men,she thought it would feel grand before,but standing there,she felt nervous and just wanted to stay home. But she knew that she couldn't. She was the only one who knew the way,and besides Merkawen she likely had the most training,which wasn't much,only classes on self defense that she had taken with the elflings of Rivendel.

She shouted the call to leave to the group,turned around on the pony and started on the path,and trying not to cry,she sang the first thing to come to mind,an old song song by many Tooks before leaving-

In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing and the sky is clear and red.
When the summer’s ceased its gleaming,
When the corn is past its prime,
When adventure’s lost its meaning,
I’ll be homeward bound in time.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow*2

And the turning of her stomach became a little less as many others joined in on the chorus. It wasn't much,but it gave confidence that they soon would be homeward bound...

If you find it’s me you're missing, if you’re hoping I’ll return.
To your thoughts I’ll soon be list’ning, and in the road I’ll stop and turn.
Then the wind will set me racing as my journey nears its end.
And the path I’ll be retracing when I’m homeward bound again.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow.

OOC- *1- I have in the profile that Lucy speaks Sindaran,though she often stumbles. I've found that it would be natural,however,to pickup exclamations and insults rather quickly and use them as freely as your first language.

*2 No,I didn't write that. Not at all. Picking up random folk songs comes with being a voice student ,it's "Homeward Bound",a voice teacher staple(I've had several teachers,two gave it too me),by Marta Keen. I always thought it sounded "Tookish"
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2009 07:23
Arvanion watched in horror as the foremost troll smashed through the line of pikes and seized a soldier by the throat. The elf's companions fought to free him, but the troll's hand convulsed, breaking the soldier's neck. With a bellow, the troll threw the soldier to the side and plunged into a knot of archers.

Du-finnion thundered forward with his lance couched. It struck true, lodging in the beast's heart. The creature let out a shriek that brought sweat to Arvanion's face before falling dead. Du-finnion wrenched his lance loose and urged his horse forward again.

Radavik and Arvanion's horses darted around the second troll. The confused beast aimed flailing blows at them, but was unable to strike them. Dazed from its spinning, it stopped for a moment. Arvanion brought up his sword and slashed across the troll's throat. Black blood gushed forth, and the second troll fell.

There was a bellow from the third troll, and Arvanion's horse whinnied in panic and reared. Arvanion felt himself toppling backwards and clutched desperately at the reins, but to no avail. He landed flat on his back, completely winded, his sword falling from his suddenly slack hand. He saw the troll drawing closer and fought for breath.

No... not now... not here...
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2009 11:20
Eleniel watched Arvanion fall and dashed forward before she thought. The troll was advancing on the half-elf and she saw that many arrows had pierced its flank. It was slowing down. She assessed the knives she carried and knew that one of them would not stop the beast. Instead, she grabbed a short sword from a nearby soldier and heaved it like a knife at the troll. Though awkward, the sword buried itself in the troll's throat and the beast fell. Eleniel panted as the adrenaline that had seized her left her as quickly as it had come. She sank to the ground beside Arvanion. "Are you all right?"
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2009 04:04
Naegauth sighed as the last troll fell by Eleniel's sword throw. The battle wasn't as costly as he thought it would be. One person was confirmed to be dead, but everyone else seemed to either have an injury or be completely fine. Arvanion fell off his horse, but Naegauth was sure that he was completely fine.

Naegauth dismounted and set his longbow on the saddle. He patted his horse. He was thinking about naming it one of these times, but he hasn't thought up a good one yet.

"Thank you for not bucking me off this time," he said softly to it and fed it an apple from his saddle. Naegauth walked towards the trolls to collect his arrows buried into their carcasses. It was a grisly and disturbing task, but he wanted to have as many arrows as possible for the fights to come.
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2009 11:23
Elurin slid off his horse and walked over to Avrvanion. Eleniel was already attending him.

"Nice throw, I was surprised you were able to do it." Elurin knelt beside Arvanion and asked Eleniel, "Do you need me to get anything?"
Loslote
Send Message
on: August 04, 2009 04:22
Merkawen mounted her horse and looked at the hobbits. She felt a twinge of doubt. Could they really make a difference? The hobbits did not seem very war-like at all. She shook her head - there was no turning back now. She rode up to where Lucy was starting the march and listened to the song. It was beautiful in its own way, but she missed the songs of home.

~~~~~~

Belegann breathed a sigh of relief when the third troll fell. They had lost only one elf. And, though this should not lessen the sorrow, Belegann had not known that elf, so his death was easier to accept. Belegann rode up to Arvanion, who had fallen off. "Where did your horse go?"
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2009 05:24
Eleniel blushed. "Well, it just happened." She glanced up at the dark-haired elf through her eyelashes, then returned to tending Arvanion.
A elf-soldier came up to her and handed her the sword, now cleaned. "A clean throw, my lady," he said.
Eleniel colored again. "It does not belong to me," she said. "I borrowed it from a soldier. Please see that it is returned." He bowed and went off on his errand. Eleniel stood, her ministrations finished, and found that the world was spinning. Elurin's hand was suddenly there to steady her and she smiled at him gratefully.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 13, 2009 06:13
After travailing for quite some time,Lucy's mind began to wander,and she became a bit more relaxed. She chatted with Merkawen some,and went over how they were to arrive with some of the older men. Someone had proved that they did indeed know how to handle a bow,and shot a few rabbits,which were made into a simple lunch.

After the short stop,Lucy mounted Linnod,and the pony gave a sudden jerk,and she slid off. She tried not to show her embarrassment and quickly brushed off the dust and mounted again,this time more carefully.
Loslote
Send Message
on: August 13, 2009 11:28
Merkawen politely turned away, hiding a slight smile. She mounted herself, careful not to fall herself and repeat Lucy's accident. She turned to the hobbit, who was now seated correctly on the pony. "Are you alright? Don't worry, I've done that before. In front of a whole company of elves, too! And you can't imagine how it felt when I accidentally mounted backwards..." She laughed quietly. Merkawen did not was Lucy's confidence to be shaken, especially now when they were in such danger.
<< First34567
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email