Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Elrond's Message (PM or post in the OOC for pending approval)
on: March 30, 2009 01:26
Naegauth was now satisfied that the two elves were safe. They would not come to harm as long as Arvanion, Orch and Radavik were out there. He sat on a rock and started to catch his breath after all of the activity. He was recovering from the cuts, but they still hurt a lot. Many of them would stay as scars on his already scarred body. Naegauth sighed deeply and felt very anxious to run out onto the battlefield and attack the bandits head on. He quickly threw away that idea, but he knew that he would have to help out. His companions wouldn't be able to take everyone out on their own.

Suddenly, he heard shouting from a distance away, but he could see the scene completely. He saw a group of bandits running after Orchalie. He got up quickly. Naegauth did not want to see Orchalie or any of his friends injured. If she didn't get help from Arvanion and Radavik soon, she could be killed.

Naegauth quickly decided on what he should do. He got up with his longbow and his quiver and started to move towards the bandits chasing his friend.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2009 10:46
Arvanion and Radavik fled side by side, ducking and weaving as bandit arrows whizzed around them. One of them pinged off the pommel of Arvanion's sword, and another struck Radavik through the forearm. "We've been lucky so far," panted the half-elf. His former injuries, combined with a ferocious stitch, made his side seem like it had caught fire.

Radavik pulled out the shaft in his arm, snapping it in half as he looked ahead grimly. "It looks like our luck has just run out."

Orchalie and Naegauth were desperately fighting off a group of bandits, firing as quickly as they could to keep the enemy from closing into sword range. Arvanion saw a hulking bandit with an axe charge towards Naegauth and loosed off a snap shot, taking the bandit in the side of the head. He and Radavik leapt from the trees, and remembering a tactic that the legendary Mormegil had once used, Arvanion yelled out derisively. "Come on, men, kill them all!" The bandits, shaken by the new attack, broke and fled without a backward glance.

"Are you all right?" panted Arvanion. Naegauth was about to reply when Radavik cut him off.

"Never mind that. We need to get out of here, regardless of whether we're injured or not." Arvanion nodded in shaky approval.

"First off, we need to find Elurin and Eleniel," said Arvanion. "I don't know what kind of hiding places he has here, but the bandits won't rest until they've leveled every place we could be hiding. Next, we need to catch up with Belegann, and hope we can get out of here alive."

"I think I saw where they went," said Radavik. He pointed towards a wooded hilltop.

"Let's hurry then," said Arvanion. "We don't have any time to waste."
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 31, 2009 03:21
Belegann saw Orchalie and Naegauth fighting the bandits, but forbade Thandir and Erolas to go help. His job was to keep Galion, Amdir, and Merkawen safe, and unless Arvanion told him otherwise, he would do his best to follow instructions. No more improvisation. Belegann watched Arvanion and Radavik join the battle and somehow chase away all the bandits. Unfortunately, the bandits split up, and a couple ran toward the trees where the elves were hiding. Belegann hissed under his breath, and fiercely signaled to Erolas, Merkawen, and Galion to keep silent. The bandits started to pass the grove, and Belegann relaxed slightly. But just as the bandits were leaving, Amdir woke for the first time since the battle. He moaned and shifted - not much, but loud enough to attract the bandits' attention. They ran to the bushes, and after the sounds of a quick struggle, came back out. The bandits searched for the rest, but luckily didn't think to look up. Belegann looked at the three in the other tree. Erolas had his hand over Merkawen's mouth; she had almost screamed. Thandir had his head pressed into the tree branch, and Galion was gripping his branch so tightly that his knuckles were bright white. Belegann watched the other bandits disappearing, then looking towards where Arvanion and the others were. There were no bandits in sight, so he whispered to Thandir, "Go join up with the others. See what Arvanion wants to do next, and if Eleniel and Elurin were successful in their theft. If we should go join them, wave with two hands. If we should stay, wave with one." Thandir nodded and climbed down the tree, slipping off through the trees to where the others were running into a thicket.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2009 07:18
"I happened upon them," she said softly, applying pressure to her wound. "It just seemed like the right thing to do. They needed my help, because Arvanion's wound would not have healed without some skilled assistance. I just felt like something was telling me to come with them. I have been alone too long." She looked up at him through her eyelashes. "Why are you helping them?"
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2009 03:51
Arvanion looked appraisingly at the hilltop. "They should be able to hold out there," he said. "We need to get to Belegann and... oh no." A group of bandits emerged from the woods where Belegann had led his guards, bearing bloodstained swords. Before Arvanion's party could silence him, one blew a loud blast on a horn hanging from his belt.

"May the Valar protect us," whispered Arvanion, firing an arrow into the ranks of bandits advancing from around them. "This is impossible," he said to Radavik. "There must be several score more of them here as there were last night. How could that be?"

"Most of these new fighters appear a bit more savage," said Radavik, stilling a screaming face with a heavy shaft. "My guess is that a warband came up from Dunland."

"Most Dunlending warbands are around eighty members, correct?" said Arvanion, scowling as one of his arrows went wide. He followed it up with a more accurate shot, taking a Dunlending warrior in the chest.

"More around fifty or sixty," said Radavik, grunting in satisfaction as another arrow found its mark. Arvanion winced. Better odds, but not by much. Not even close.

"Is that Thandir?" asked Radavik suddenly, seeing a figure running out of the woods. Arvanion looked relieved and tense at the same time.

"Yes! We need to cover him so that he can get over here alive." Radavik and Arvanion simultaneously bent their bows, sending a pair of bandits sprawling. Thandir slashed a third with his sword and, leaping over the corpse, gained the space surrounding the fighters.

"Are you all right?" Arvanion asked him.

"Fine," panted Thandir, energetically waving both arms. "Bad news; Amdir is dead. The bandits found him when we were hiding."

"And the others?" Arvanion's voice was tight with worry.

"Safe, and hopefully on their way," said Thandir. "There they are."

Belegann and Erolas led the party with drawn swords, Merkawen and Galion in between them. "Where are Elurin and Eleniel?" asked Erolas.

"In hiding," said Arvanion. "Hopefully, they'll be able to deliver the message even if we do fall."

"That may not be long," said Radavik bleakly. "I don't know about you, but I'm almost out of arrows."

Arvanion glanced at his own dwindling supply. "I guess you're right," he said. He unstrung his bow and slung it across his back. "We did fairly well," he muttered to Radavik, glancing at the bodies around them. At least thirty lay there, pierced by arrows and occasionally sword cuts. A further twenty were lightly wounded, but there were still over a hundred bandits surrounding them.

Arvanion and Radavik drew their swords, and the others followed suit. Without the bows of the companions holding them at bay, the bandits surged forward.

"Get Galion and Merkawen to the center!" shouted Arvanion over the roar of onset. "Circle and fight outward!" Shoulder to shoulder, the warriors presented a deadly wall of steel to their enemies, but they began to falter under sheer weight of numbers. Arvanion, hindered by the aching scar in his side, had not been fast enough to completely deflect a Dunlending spear thrust, and bled sluggishly from a wound in his shoulder. Radavik had transferred his sword to his left hand, the fingers of his right badly bruised by an enemy club.

Arvanion's memory went back to his first years riding messages. The land had been more peaceful back then, and most of his assignments had been peaceful rides through civilized territory. If only they could see me now, he thought bitterly, trying to staunch the flow of blood with one hand while fending off a knife-wielding man with the other. Out of his past, as if it were a memory, a clear horn sounded. The bandits faltered for a moment, then pressed in closer with bloodthirsty cries.

Hoofbeats filled the air and seemed to shake the ground as thirty elven riders pounded towards the melee, scattering bandits left and right as they struck down with long swords. Arvanion cried out in joy upon seeing the fair hair of the lead rider, who was flanked by an identical pair of warriors.

"Glorfindel! Glorfindel!" Arvanion began fighting with renewed energy as the bandits fought back with the strength of despair. Thandir was knocked off his feet, but before the bandit could administer the final blow he was struck down by an arrow from one of the riders. Three of the knights were down to spears and arrows, but they had sold their lives dearly. The bandits finally broke and fled, with a score of the riders in hot pursuit. Glorfindel, Elladan, and Elrohir reined up their horses beside Arvanion.

"Well, young one, it has been too long since I saw you last," said Glorfindel, clasping arms warmly with Arvanion. "I see you've gained yourself a small following. But may I ask what you're doing in the ruins of Ost-in-Edhil?"

Arvanion blushed. "The bandits you drove off attacked me on the road. By the grace of the Valar I was spared."

"And the message?" Elrohir's voice was urgent, and Arvanion smiled.

"Two more of my companions successfully stole it back from the bandits. If I'm not mistaken, that's them now." He gestured uphill, to where subtle movements in the brush could be discerned.

((Epicness! And now, the second stage starts... as soon as the party is back together. I leave now to play the piano. :love)
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2009 04:22
Naegauth fell backwards onto his back into the ground and sighed with relief. They had been saved. He had not seen so many elves in such a long time. He was amazed to see that Glorfindel was there and talking to Arvanion. Naegauth put his arms behind his head and closed his eyes. What they were talking about was none of his business and he was too tired to intervene in any way. He hoped that his friends were all right. He certainly hoped that the message was still in the living hands of Eleniel and Eluren.

Naegauth simply laid there on the ground. He didn't care what the others thought. He was tired.
minimangamaniac
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2009 05:22
Orch toppled onto the ground, weak from utter exhaustion. There wasn't anyone or anything that would convince her to move from the spot she was lying right now. Glorfindel had come and rescued them--and just in time too. It looked like the party were all going to drop dead there on the spot if help hadn't come. She herself wasn't in half as a decent state as she liked to be.

Blurring out the conversation going on between Arvanion and their rescuer, Orch pulled out a bandage from her pocket and wrapped her slightly bleeding arm. We're safe, was all that she could think at this point.
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2009 08:35
Elurin held back a laugh, "I don't think I had much of a choice. I could have let the bandits ambush you or I could have warned you. After meeting you I was thrown together with you all and asked to help. I couldn't say no." Elurin sat for a moment listening to the wind, "Do you feel that? It is like the traveling of a great host..." The air was filled with battle cries and then there was nothing. "I think we should go discover the outcome of the battle." Eleniel nodded. They headed toward the sound of many voices, Elurin heard the fair voices of many elves. The two of them stepped out into the open and saw a great host of elves, the leaders of the elven host seemed like a great lords. Elurin had never been among so many elves, he had met a few in his travels but never any so great. Eleniel seemed to be hesitant as well, Elurin guessed she had not been among her kind either. Eleniel pulled out the message from her pack and handed it to Arvanion. Elurin sat back in the shadows not knowing what to do now. He had helped these people and now it seemed like he would have to go back to being alone. A great pain entered him and he just sat there staring at the ground.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2009 12:47
Glorfindel noticed with some concern the wounds that Arvanion's party had sustained. "It would be good for you to have your wounds treated," he said carefully. Arvanion sat in stoic silence as one of Glorfindel's company bound a clean white bandage tightly around his injured shoulder. Farther off, Eleniel was wrapping a poultice around Radavik's injured hand.

"What news from the northern front?" asked Arvanion, testing the bandage slightly. The pain of the injury had dulled somewhat, making it easier for him to move.

"I've sent word to Arathorn," said Glorfindel. "He and his men have formed a perimeter around Bree-land along with Gildor's elves. There aren't enough of them to hold the town against a determined assault, even if the Bree-landers did trust them."

"We need Cirdan's help," agreed Arvanion. "That's the reason I set forth from Rivendell in the first place."

"The Road is dangerous," warned Glorfindel. "Gildor tells me that the Bounders have had trouble with wolves on the borders of the Northfarthing. Perhaps my group should come with you."

"I agree," said Arvanion finally. "However, I must explain the contents of this message to the rest of my companions. At first I withheld the information from them, fearing that one of them might be an agent of the Dark Lord sent to steal the information from me. However, all of them have proved their faithfulness many times over, and it is time I repaid them." He smiled. "Especially Naegauth."

He turned from Glorfindel and stepped up onto a rock. "Friends," he called. "It is time to stop keeping secrets from you. When I set out from Rivendell, I bore a message from Elrond to Cirdan of the Havens. Few in these lands realize that a war is taking place in the northern reaches of Eriador: a battle with the goblins of the Misty Mountains. Elrond's riders and Arathorn's Dunedain have been holding them off from the lands of the innocent, but Cirdan's elves are needed if we are to triumph over them. I was sent secretly by Elrond to tell Cirdan of this, for if he does not join with us the battle for the northern lands is lost. If the minions of the Dark Lord knew of Elrond's plan, they would ensure that the message never reached the Havens. In fear of the consequences if the message should go astray, I kept my purpose from you. I am sorry; but I now have no reason to doubt your faithfulness. Will you join me in fighting for the north?" He stepped back and waited for an answer.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2009 01:43
Naugauth got back up to his feet in surprise. He almost threw away any thought about learning what the message was about.

"A war?" he said in surprise, "I have been away from home for longer than I thought."

He sat down on a rock thoughtfully. Naegauth had been with Arvanion a long time to just to hear that message. Naegauth had not had so much excitement in a long time and he was not ready to leave the company just yet. The path would be dangerous, but he didn't really care about his life anymore. It was ruined enough and he decided that helping the half-elf could atone for the things that he had done. Naegauth got up off the rock.

"Well," he said suddenly, "I have nothing better to do so I suppose that I shall help you finish this journey!"
minimangamaniac
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2009 02:32
Orch sat and continued dressing her wound. A few moments later, she replied to the news quietly.

"As much as I prefer to avoid fighting, it seems it only continues to follow me. What better way to use my skill than to assist you on your quest?" She grinned slightly. "After all, I'd rather stay with friends than with the tedious group I had been with before."

Orch stood up and whistled. Soon her steed appeared by her side. She turned her attention to Arvanion, a determined look in her eye. "When do we depart?"
Loslote
Send Message
on: April 02, 2009 04:40
Belegann looked at Erolas and Thandir, who nodded encouragingly. "Erolas, Thandir and I will come with you," he announced. "If it is possible, we will leave Galion and Merkawen at the first safe place we come to - they would fare ill in a battle." Galion leaped to his feet, protesting, but Merkawen nodded, agreeing to his plan. "Neither of us can fight," she said to Galion. "Why should we burden our friends with caring for us?" Belegann looked at Merkawen in surprise. He couldn't remember the last time she had considered the needs of anyone other than herself. Galion scowled, but sat back down, accepting Belegann's authority. Belegann turned back to Arvanion, ready to leave.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2009 08:30
Eleniel felt very hesitant about being with so many Elves. After seeing to some wounds, she left the rest to the newcomers' healers and fell back beside Elurin, examining her wound again. It was still bleeding. She bit her lip. Perhaps it was a worse wound than she thought. Eleniel rewrapped the bandage and pretended that she was fine. The message was safe in her pack. She waited awkwardly to the side until someone decided to speak to them.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2009 03:18
Arvanion looked at his companions thankfully. "I am fortunate to have such loyal friends," he said, smiling. "Now, if we can retrieve our horses, we can be on our way.

They directed their course northwest, hoping to strike the Great Road somewhere east of Bree. It was a rainy, windy day when Glorfindel and Arvanion began discussing the course they would have to take.

"We'll have to skirt the Shire," said Glorfindel. "It's imperative that we stay secret; if the goblins and the men they've allied with learn that we've passed through the Shire, there will be war and death all over the four Farthings. We should pass around it to the north or south."

"Personally, I'd prefer south," said Radavik. "I'd prefer to avoid conflict, and chances are there will be enemies somewhere along the road in the north."

"But we need to reach the Havens as quickly as we can," pointed out Arvanion. "The north way is shorter, and we could even cut off a corner of the Northfarthing since there are fewer inhabitants." He wrapped his cloak tighter around him, trying to keep off the rain.

"How has the war on the northern front been going?" asked Radavik to Elladan.

The elf-lord looked grave. "Not as well as we'd hoped," he said. "The enemy nearly reached the edge of Archet when they broke through the lines, but Gildor and Arathorn managed to stop them before they reached the town."

Arvanion winced: he knew the mentality of the peaceful men of Eriador, and knew why they needed to keep the war a secret: if the inhabitants of Bree-land found out, they would lose all reason and go mad with fear. The war that was being fought must remain a secret if order was to be preserved.

Radavik hunched over in the saddle. "This wind is going to drive me mad," he grumbled, clutching his cloak as hard as he could. "I'm going to catch cold, and I keep on thinking I hear..." His voice trailed off as a distant howling was heard.

"You're not the only one," said Arvanion quietly. "We should find high ground as quickly as possible." There were more howls in the trees around them, and Glorfindel looked grim.

"I don't think that we'll be able to reach a defensible position before they attack," he said.

Elrohir drew his sword, hearing hoarse shouts mixed with the howling. "Where the warg howls, there also the orc prowls," he said, nudging his horse alongside his brother's. "Should we face them on foot, or mounted?"

"Our steeds will be able to withstand the fear of them," said Elladan, settling his shield on his arm.

"I doubt ours will," said Radavik. "They were raised in Bree-land; they hadn't seen any combat until we left."

"Dismounted, then," said Glorfindel decisively. He shouted an order in Quenya, and the knights of Rivendell dismounted with incredible efficiency. Circling the horses, they formed a shield-wall and waited with grim faces. Arvanion accepted the shield Elrohir offered him and locked it into the wall. The howling grew closer as the circle of warriors stared outward with grim faces, waiting for the first warg to break cover from the trees.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2009 03:44
Naegauth took out his longbow and nocked an arrow. He despised the wargs. They were the reason that his parents were killed and he has ever since hated them fiercely. He heard the howls in the distance and he started to shake with anger and a slight fear inside him. He had never faced a warg in combat before and he was very scared of a beast that managed to kill his parents. He stood there in anticipation; a cold sweat ran over his face.

Naegauth suddenly remembered Daereth. He looked over at the bird, its wing was injured and it still couldn't fly. He cursed under his breath. Normally he would have told the bird to await his arrival at the Havens. It would be safer there, but the option was out of question now. He would have to protect all of his friends with his life. Naegauth's wounds did not not bother him too much anymore until he took action. The cuts burned with pain but he just decided that the only thing he would be able to do would to just ignore it.

Naegauth noticed one of the wargs come into sight. He was shocked at the size of it. Naegauth shrugged and pulled back his bow to shoot.

"This is for my parents," he said to himself.

Naegauth released the arrow and the shaft went flying towards the warg.
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2009 09:53
What was I thinking?! Elurin thought for the hundredth time. He did not understand why he was going on with this group. Why am I being so quick and trusting of these people? Elurin's thought for awhile, he had never trusted anyone and now he had thrown himself with this company.

The rain continued its steady fall when suddenly he head it, the sound of Wargs. The elves soon dismounted and formed a protective circle. Elurin pulled out his bow and notched an arrow, soon he saw a large warg come out of the trees.
minimangamaniac
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2009 12:42
Orch pulled her bow out and, as did the others, nocked an arrow. This group seems to get into trouble all the time, she thought to herself, looking at the others who were armed and ready, facing the warg. If these continuous attacks continue, there's going to be hardly any of us left!

She watched as Naegauth released his arrow, and she followed the suit. Just glad it's only one against all of us...if there were more, we may have more trouble than we bargained for. She took a break to massage her bruised arm, then raised her bow, ready to strike again if needed.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2009 03:43
Arvanion saw another trio of wargs slink out of the trees and yelled a warning. "There are more of them than we bargained for!" he yelled, seeing another quintet gallop towards them.

One of the wargs leapt toward the shield-wall. Elladan and Elrohir, shoulder to shoulder, bore the main weight of the beast, letting it fall heavily upon their shields before pushing it back as hard as they could. They hacked at the warg's neck, but their blows were softened by the thick fur and it was barely injured. Radavik loosed an arrow at a second warg that was running towards the opposite side of the shield-wall. It faltered in mid-leap and fell, wounded to the ground. Glorfindel and two others dashed in, running their swords into the beast before it could rise. Only eight left, thought Arvanion. Radavik loosed a second arrow, putting out the eye of another warg. Two of the elven knights rushed in on its blind side, driving their swords into its head. Seven left... However, another warg jumped towards them, clawing at one. The knight's shield was ripped from his arm, and a bloody gash was opened. He swung his sword wildly, scoring a hit on its head, but he was borne to the ground by a second strike as Arvanion rushed forward to help. The warg's jaws tore at him, and he did not rise. The other knight cried out in anger and fear, striking at the warg's head. His sword snagged in the matted fur, and was wrenched from his hand as the warg reared in pain. Arvanion leapt past its dangerously slashing front claws and drove his sword into its heart. Six left...

"Thank you," said the surviving knight breathlessly, retrieving his sword. He and Arvanion quickly hoisted his comrade's body before the wargs could scavenge it and carried it back inside the circle of shields. "My name is Du-finnion of Imladris. I am grateful to you for aiding me; I feared that I would share the fate of Amarath." He gestured to his dead comrade, then placed his hand over his heart. "If I can aid you in any way, by my life or death, be assured that I shall."

Arvanion was touched by this display of loyalty when a sudden panicked shout from Elrohir distracted him. "They've broken the shield-wall! Protect the horses!" A single warg had bowled over a trio of knights and was slashing at the legs of one of the horses.

Du-finnion yelled to one of his comrades. "Padathir! Your spear!" A tall silver-haired elf leapt forward, slashing a long-bladed spear towards the warg. The beast jumped back, but it wasn't as quick as the elf, and fell with blood seeping from its throat. Five left...

Padathir looked at the horse and cursed. "Hamstrung..." He trailed off, hearing harsh horns. "May the Elder King protect us," he said.

"Yrch!" cried Elladan, slashing at another warg. "Reform the shield-wall!"

"How did the goblins breach the northern perimeter?" asked Arvanion, setting down his shield and stringing his bow. Radavik shrugged as he loosed an arrow in the direction of the horn-calls.

"I only hope that Gildor is not in peril," said Elladan.

"You need not worry," said Glorfindel. "I have fought alongside him in many battles, and he would not have engaged a superior force with the army he currently has. This is merely a small force, a feint to draw away more of our forces. Otherwise, they never could have slipped through his perimeter."

"That's all immaterial right now," snapped Radavik. "Even if there are only a score and a half of orcs, they're more than a match for us unless we kill these cursed wargs!"

Padathir smiled grimly. "What are we waiting for, then? I care not if they are the embodiment of Draugluin returned to Arda; my spear will taste their blood!" He leapt towards the outer lines with a wild yell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((Yes, I've done quite a bit here, but you can all have nice overlapping actions. Enjoy your warg-slaughter...))
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2009 04:08
Eleniel threw a few knives but mostly, try to keep her wound from opening again. It was not healing well and this concerned her. Had the arrow been poisoned? She knew she ought to do more than just hunker down here among the horses, but they needed her presence to calm themselves. Here I am, she thought. What happens if I die here? Will anyone care enough to mourn me? Do any of them really care?
The snap of a bowstring brought her attention around. Elurin was there, killing wargs with a fury. Would they care if I die? she thought again. A snarl behind her caused the horses to scream with fright and Eleniel turned to face a warg. It seemed to study her and she stared back, not afraid, just weary. A bowstring snapped and an arrow shot over her shoulder, slaying the warg. Eleniel turned to face Elurin. His face was unreadable. She nodded. "Thanks."
He nodded curtly, something deep his eyes, and turned back toward the oncoming orcs.
Loslote
Send Message
on: April 09, 2009 04:43
Merkawen and Galion had been pushed in by the horses at the start of the battle, but Galion had grabbed some knives and threw them at enemies that came within his reach - admittedly not many, because the others mostly held the shield wall. Galion scowled at his injury that kept him from the battle. Belegann, Thandir, and Erolas stood together, fending off wargs and, more recently, orcs. A small pile was beginning to grow at their feet, but Merkawen could tell that her companions were tiring, and already Erolas's bow had been snapped in half by a warg. He still was ablt to use his sword to kill the encroaching orcs, though. Thandir shot at farther away enemies, while Belegann had put away his bow and helped Erolas with the sword work. Merkawen, unable to fight, stood behind Galion, hoping that this battle would be different from the others, and none of their friends would be lost.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2009 11:54
The battle was like a nightmare to Naegauth. The beasts scared the wits out of him. Naegauth was not going to show it though. If he showed fear, others would show fear. He pulled back an arrow and shot it into the chest of an incoming orc, causing it to fall over and trip another orc. Naegauth quickly shot the one on the ground and continued to scan for targets. There were only a few vicious wargs left, but they still needed to be slain if they wanted to survive. He saw his other friends fighting the wargs and orcs with such bravery that he had never seen.

As Naegauth was looking away a warg started to run towards him. Naegauth almost yelped at the sight of it and automatically shot an arrow at it out of instinct. The slammed into the wargs side but barely penetrated the skin. He needed a weak spot. The warg shook off the pain and began to run towards him even faster with its mouth ready to bite. Naegauth quickly snapped a shot and it whistled through the air into the wargs mouth, killing it instantly. Naegauth dodged out of the way as the warg slammed into the ground next to him. That works, he thought to himself.

One of the orcs busted into the fray cutting and slashing. It ran right into Naegauth with its sword waving wildly. Naegauth pulled out his knife in time to deflect the swipe but the knife went flying out of his hands from the impact. Naegauth dodged the swings barely as the mad orc hacked at him. One slash grazed his face and made a long cut down the side of his face. Naegauth yelled in pain and fell onto the ground. The orc pulled up his blade to strike him. Naegauth, seeing the opening, pulled out an arrow and stabbed the orc before it could kill him. Naegauth pushed the orc to the ground and took a deep breath. He retrieved his knife and bow and continued to fight against the orcs and wargs that were left.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2009 01:01
"This way!" yelled Padathir as Du-finnion and Arvanion hacked at the last warg. Du-finnion leapt back from its flailing claws, narrowly avoiding being disemboweld by a slash across his midriff. Arvanion jumped in, swinging his sword, but was headbutted and went sprawling. The warg, blinded by blood streaming from its head, ignored the opening, jumping towards Du-finnion again. Padathir's spear caught it in mid-leap, but it managed one last spasmodic movement before it died. One claw lodged deep in Padathir's shoulder as he pulled his spear free with a grunt.

"Are you all right?" asked Du-finnion anxiously, noticing the blood staining Padathir's blue surcoat.

"A scratch," said the elven knight gruffly.

"A scratch?" echoed Arvanion. "Look at your shoulder!"

Padathir winced. "I'll be fine," he said through gritted teeth, hefting his spear again.

"Oh no you don't," said Arvanion. He took Padathir by his uninjured shoulder and steered him towards Eleniel.

"Padathir's been injured in the shoulder," explained Arvanion. "Part of a warg claw snapped off in the wound. Could you tend to him?" Without waiting for an answer, Arvanion rejoined the shield-wall.

Although four more of the elven knights had fallen to the teeth and claws of the warg pack, they were still gamely holding the line. Enemy corpses littered the road before and behind them, and a mere ten goblins were left. Glorfindel led the remaining elven knights against them, cutting them down to the last. He turned to Arvanion.

"Any casualties among your party?" asked the elf-lord.

"None dead," said Arvanion gratefully. "Naegauth has taken some knocks, and Erolas has several claw-marks on his forearm from where he lost the bow, but we've survived."

Glorfindel looked grim. "It's just as well that we're cutting off the corner of the Shire," he said. "We'd never survive in the wilds. I've lost six good elves, and eight more are wounded."

Du-finnion jogged up. "The horses seem to be in good condition, save one who was hamstrung. The rest are shaken up, but they'll be fine."

Elladan shook his head wearily. "We'll have to load more supplies onto the backs of the empty horses," he said. "Haste is our priority at the moment."

As they prepared to leave, Arvanion and Radavik helped Du-finnion dig a grave for his companion Amarath. After a short prayer to Mandos for his soul, Du-finnion wiped his eyes. "If it was not for you, I would have joined him," said Du-finnion. "I thank you."

Arvanion clasped arms with the young knight, fighting back tears. "It is my honor to fight alongside you," he replied.

Hoofbeats sounded in the darkness to the north, and Elrohir could be heard, his voice lifted in a challenge. "Who goes there?"

"Peace," called the rider. "It is I."

"Gildor!" said Glorfindel joyfully. "Elen sila lumen omentielvo! What brings you here?"

"I and a small part of my force have been seeking tidings of a pack of wargs and goblins that slipped through our lines. Thankfully, they did not enter Bree-land, but we have no--"

"They are no more," said Elrohir. "They came upon us an hour ago, and we slew them to a beast."

"That is indeed good tidings," said Gildor. "Would that I could answer you with the like, but I fear that I cannot. We have taken many losses; almost three-score elves and Dunedain perished in the battle which allowed these beasts passage through our lines. We are spread too thin. I heard rumors of a host moving to assault the Shire and sent Arathorn and his Dunedain to the borders of the Northfarthing." He smiled faintly. "He was none too happy about it; he is a warlike man, and to stay in such a seemingly peaceful place is hard. Still, he knows his duty, and he knows that he may yet see battle."

"We are on our way to the Havens to muster Cirdan's might," said Elladan. "We bear a message from Lord Elrond.

Gildor's face brightened. "Perhaps there is still hope for the North, then. Cirdan's force would turn the tide of these battles. But I must return to my force. Namarie!" He galloped back off into the night.

"We can't afford to make camp for the night," said Glorfindel. "We've lost too much time."

"We can sleep in the saddle," said Radavik grimly. "However, it won't be very good for the wounded to ride so far and fast."

"I must go ahead," said Arvanion. "I know not who my companions will be, but I know that I will ride through the night."

"I will not leave your side," said Du-finnion fervently.

"Nor will I," said Radavik.

"I and whoever must remain behind will join Gildor's force north of Bree," said Glorfindel. "Lend me at least a score of able knights, and the goblins will tremble before us."

"Be careful, young one," Padathir admonished Du-finnion. His shoulder was securely bandaged, and the bleeding had stopped. "Protect Lord Elrond's messenger with your life."

"I shall," said Du-finnion.

"Who else will join me?" asked Arvanion, mounting his horse.
minimangamaniac
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2009 02:44
Orch stood up and walked over to Faeor, who was braying nervously, and stroked his chesnut mane. She then proceeded to lead him over to where Arvanion was and stopped.

Orch looked up at Arvanion. "I don't know about anyone else," she told him, "but if I had just faced numerous bandits and wargs for the sake of a message, I would hope to see through and make sure it makes it's way to the proper location." She smiled at him, bowing slightly. "I'll go wherever the message shall take me, and protect all those involved with my life."

Placing her longbow onto Faeor's saddle and taking a few more arrows from the "battlefield" and placing them into her quiver, Orch jumped onto the saddle, and waited for the others of the party to decide.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2009 08:14
Naegauth wiped the blood off of his face with a rag and tossed it into a bush. The cut on his face was not deep, but it still was painful. He walked over to Arvanion.

"I don't know why I'm following you Arvanion, but I feel that it is the right thing for me to do," Naegauth said, "I think that I am just hoping to accomplish something in my life. All of my life I had been full of unanswerable questions and grief. Now I feel that I belong to something. Something important for once."

Naegauth mounted his horse and grinned at Orch and Arvanion.

"I'm ready."
Loslote
Send Message
on: April 11, 2009 09:55
Merkawen knew that Belegann, Erolas, and Thandir would follow Arvanion to the Havens, but she had no idea what Belegann would have her do. He walked up to her. "How fast can you ride?" he asked quietly. Merkawen replied, "As fast as need be," for she had learned from the best riders in Mirkwood. Belegann turned to Arvanion. "We will ride with you," he told the half-elf. "After loosing so many of our people, it would feel wrong to leave the quest now, after so many hardships." The four elves mounted their horses, Erolas favoring his arm only slightly.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2009 03:01
Eleniel kept a grip on Padathir's hand as she examined his shoulder. Padathir kept casting longing looks toward Arvanion and Eleniel smiled. Young men's pride! She had not been around people long, but she knew it when she saw it. "Easy now," she spoke in a voice she reserved only for children and wounded animals. "Let me tend to this. It will feel better when I am finished. Then you can join your master." With deft hands, she patched him up and sent him on his way. You are being silly, she scolded herself. These people need you. You might not like people as well as you like the wild, but they need your skills. Stop sulking and join them! So properly scolded by herself, she stood and walked to join the mounting horsemen. "I will come with you," she said. "I can run."
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2009 10:37
Here I go again! Another hasty decision. "If you all don't mind I will come as well. My bow is at your service."
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2009 03:55
Arvanion bowed to each of them in turn. "I am grateful to all of you. Now, if we are to reach Mithlond before the lines are broken, we will have to ride through the night. Even at that speed, it will still take two days." He mounted as quickly as he could, Radavik following suit beside him. Arvanion looked back over his shoulder at Padathir and Glorfindel. "Be well," he told them, smiling faintly.

"And you," said Padathir. He turned to Du-finnion, who was riding beside Arvanion. "Do not waste the gift of life this Peredhil has given you," he said sternly. "Even if you are protecting Arvanion, do not throw your life away."

Du-finnion bowed his head gravely as Glorfindel addressed Arvanion. "Cirdan's forces will be a welcome addition to our army," he said. "Ensure that you do not arrive too late, or I fear we will succumb to the goblin hordes."

Arvanion bowed in the saddle, one hand over his heart. "I will not fail you, sir," he said. Wheeling his horse, he kicked it into a trot, the others trailing behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first night on the road was quiet, save for the endless pounding of the horses' hooves. As the new day dawned, Arvanion signaled for them to dismount. "The horses need a rest from bearing our wait, and riding is often more tiring than walking."

Erolas grimaced as he slid off his horse. "All of that moving has given me saddle-sores," he complained, walking with a slightly bow-legged gait.

Arvanion laughed as he led his horse forward. Rounding a bend in the road, he saw a trio of mounted figures in front of him. All bore long spears, and had quivers slung across their backs. Radavik stepped forward, and the lead figure threw back his hood. He was a tall, stern, and grey-eyed figure with an air of authority.

"Greetings, Radavik," he said. "It has been long since we fought side by side in the wilds, but I see that you have lost none of your taste for adventure."

"And greetings to you, Lord Arathorn," said Radavik. "It is an honor to have the heir of Isildur fighting alongside us this day."

Arathorn's face darkened. "I fear that I may not be fighting alongside you for long," he said. "Rumors have reached me that the Dunedain settlements near Bree are in grave danger. I cannot stand by and let my people be destroyed." Glancing around, Arvanion could see that a whole army of rangers were passing through the trees around them, headed east.

"But the folk of the Shire have no means of defending themselves!" protested Arvanion.

"Cirdan's army will, when they come to war," said Arathorn coldly. "Do not think that I am leaving the Shire wholly unprotected: I have merely come to see my men off. I and a company of two hundred will stay to maintain the watch on the borders. You have safe-passage; now go, swiftly." He and his guards galloped back down the road.

"Has the war done this to him, or is he always like that?" whispered Arvanion in Radavik's ear.

"He was always serious, even as a youth," replied Radavik. "Age has hardened him to the turmoils of the Wild."

Arvanion nodded understandingly. "Still, we must press on." He motioned to the others. "Come, we ride!"
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2009 11:03
Naegauth urged his horse forward and followed Arvanion's group at his command. He noticed his bird on his shoulder. He sighed. Its wing was still injured but it was getting better. As soon as it could fly he would tell it to leave them and await for them at their destination. Naegauth did not want to risk the bird's life any more.

Naegauth rode secluded from the others. He did not feel like talking at the moment. He was going over many memories that he had had over the years and thinking about his recent encounter with the wargs. Their fierce image burned into his mind. A horror like that had killed his parents, and he understood how easily that they probably were killed by these monsters. Naegauth vowed in his heart that he would hunt the beast after this journey. He would let no other man, elf, dwarf, or any others creature get harmed by the evil beings.

For now, Naegauth would travel the somewhat peaceful road with Arvanion and his companions. The road to their destination was a long one, but Naegauth intended to survive it and protect his new friends as well.

Naegauth wiped the blood dripping of the wound on his face and continued to ride on the road that he must travel.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2009 07:41
Eleniel, running and keeping pace with the group fairly well, kept her eye on Naegauth. The wound on his face had opened yet again and she was worried about possible infection. However, she could not be too careful with seasoned warriors for they did not appreciate too much worry over their wounds. Eleniel bit her lip and checked her own wound. It was also bleeding. She rewound the bandage as tightly as she dared and vowed to check on it when they stopped for the next brief break...whenever that would be.
Eladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2009 11:29
Elurin looked around him, he never liked traveling in the open. He liked to move amongst the trees and avoid being seen. Elurin felt like something was watching them he couldn't see anything but the forest was quite. He brought his horse next to Arvanion.

"The forest is quite... too quite. I think something is out there and its following us. If you don't mind I would like to go take a closer look. I will need you to take my horse though."
minimangamaniac
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2009 12:03
Orch couldn't help but overhear Elurin's plan to scout ahead, and she nudged her steed forward and held out her hands, offering to take the reigns of his horse. "Allow me," she cut in, grinning. Elurin looked at her, and she gave him a look that said "It's-the-least-I-can-do-for-you." She wanted to be more helpful, for there to be more action on the trip--but every adventure has it's duller parts, she chuckled to herself.

It was just as she was thinking this that the hairs on the back of Orch's neck stood up, and the wind was silent. Her grin she had been wearing moments before faltered, and she seriously at Arvanion. "I don't know about you," she said under her breath, keeping watch in the corners of her eyes and listening intently, "but I'd feel a lot more comfortable once we left this area." She sighed heavily. "There's something here that isn't quite right."

Orch watched as Arvanion glanced off into the brush. "It's a strange feeling, indeed," he muttered. "Like, and yet unlike..."She chuckled slightly as he realized that the others were waiting on his answer and snapped out of his reverie. "Indeed, I would rest easier if you were to investigate. Still, don't shoot until it's entirely necessary," Arvanion finished. Orch nodded, pulling Faeor forward and keeping her senses aware in the case that danger would arrive, smiling slightly at the fact that the suspense was better than nothing.

[Edited on 5/5/2009 by minimangamaniac]

[Edited on 5/5/2009 by minimangamaniac]
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 05, 2009 01:10
Lucy rode over to the group,carefully,yet she could not stand to be alone any longer since she was separated from the group of elves she had been travailing with, desperately hoping that they would not mind a hobbit on a pony riding with them.

"Hello! Are you friend or foe?" she called out,hoping it wasn't a foolish act.

[Edited on 6/5/2009 by Lucy_Took]
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2009 02:46
When the figure came out into the open, Naegauth's regular reaction would be to draw his bow and aim it at the intruder. But Naegauth some something he would have never expected to see out in a place like this. It was a little halfling on top of a pony. Naegauth stopped as soon has he saw her approach them.

Naegauth couldn't hold back a smile. The halfling's appearence seemed to be quite humorous to him.

"Fear not, little one," replied Naegauth, "We are not any kind of foe to you. But I would like to know what a person such as yourself would be doing out here in the wilderness!
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 05, 2009 03:39
"I was out on a hunting outing with some wood elves,but some wolves came and scattered our group. I've been riding alone since yesterday afternoon,stopping for meals and a little sleep.

And here I've gone without introducing myself! I'm Lucy,Lucy Took of the Shire,though I call Rivendel home just as much. I'm glad to meet an elf,I've yet to met a bad one of your kind."
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email