12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Nimthir's Journey
on: April 22, 2010 08:53
"Evendim, I've lived there my whole life until recently."

Rûkh scanned the woman's face, catching for one moment in her eyes a glimpse of something painful. He did not know what it was, what sorrows her past could hold -- but he felt his heart grow warm for her.

He too knew what it was to hurt.

"Do you have a family Rukh?"

"I apologise, I do not mean to pry."

Rûkh averted his gaze at her question, his dark eyes turning, as had hers, to the flames that danced before them. Subconsciously, he rubbed at the closely trimmed, dark beard that lined his jaw. At her apology, however, he shook his head.

"It is quite alright. We are, after all, seemingly thrown together by fate, if only for a time. Such questions are only natural..."

Rûkh hesitated, now raking a large hand through his hair. He debated only for a moment whether or not to share his past, but when he turned at last to look into the woman's eyes, he felt as if he could trust her. As if she would understand. Taking a deep breath, he explained.

"I did have a family. Once. We lived by the sea -- my wife was as beautiful as the sea, and just as passionate. She was with child, and the delivering of the child would be her death. He too perished, only...only days afterward."

Tears glittered in Rûkh's eyes. It surprised him how much it hurt to speak the tale aloud -- and yet, how relieved he felt to let the words slip from his tongue. He couldn't help but continue.

"I stumbled onto joy in my life without meaning to -- she said people were not supposed to be as happy as we were. And perhaps she was right. For as suddenly as I found happiness, it was taken away. And I am once again...alone."

Rûkh stood and paced away from Eodwyn, feeling a touch ashamed at exposing both his story and his emotions thus. When he turned to glance back at her, a pleading look, begging for understanding flickered momentarily on his face...

[OOC: Sorry for the long post...I just felt Rûkh telling the story needed a little more time to tell.]
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2010 01:09
I stumbled onto joy in my life without meaning to -- she said people were not supposed to be as happy as we were. And perhaps she was right. For as suddenly as I found happiness, it was taken away. And I am once again...alone."

Eodwyn felt her heart sink, she knew that he was dealt some pain in his past but she had no idea what it was caused by. She admired his strength to get through it though, even though he obviously is deeply affected by it. It takes a great amount of strength and will to get through the death of the love of your life and your child.

"Do not say that you do not deserve happiness, for what you have been through you deserve every happiness in the world. Honestly Rukh, it is better to hope than to despair. You will find happiness again" Eodwyn smiled a reassuring smile.

"I am sorry for your loss, and believe me when I say I too have been affected by the death of loved ones and share your pain." Eodwyn swallowed the lump in her throat, she never liked talking about her family and especially to a person that she had just met! But something in her heart told her that she can trust him.

"A few years ago, my brother, my father, and myself were on a scouting mission in the Northern Bree Fields near the Norh Downs," Eodwyn blew out a shaky breath.

"We ended up being out numbered, and we lost many, including my brother and father. I'm only alive because of their sacrifice."

Eodwyn sat in silence listening to the crackle of the fire remembering those who she loved.

"As for my mother, she passed when she gave birth to my brother."

Eodwyn looked at Rukh fully understanding the way he was feeling for she felt the same way too.

"It seems death has been a bitter friend to the both of us."

(Sorry it took so long! I'm easily distracted!)
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2010 04:12
"First of all do you have a weapon or will we have to lend you one?"

"I have a dagger." Rydda said, smiling a little. She liked that dagger, oddly enough. It reminded her of home.

"We shall continue to Rohan, and the girl can ride with whomever she chooses."

"I prefer riding by myself." Rydda said stiffly. She wanted to point out that she did have a name, but didn't. She was feeling irritable, but she didn't want to start a fight, either. She noticed that Nimthir was blushing, and wondered why. Rydda mounted Silvermane, then waited for the others. It felt good to be on a horse, familiar ground for her.
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2010 01:37
Naris noticed Nimthir blushing and Berior smiling at her. He wondered if they were in love. "Where to now, my lord and lady?" Naris asked the two elves, "We must be on our way."

He urged Darkhoof to near Silvermane. "What is your name, young one?" Naris asked Rydda, "I'm Naris of the Dunedain."
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2010 03:48
"Well, I guess we should get going before we have to set camp," he said, grinning. "I can't wait to explore more of this vast land! The rolling hills are truly beautiful here!"

"Yes Indeed. Yet the young one must rest before the dawn light, and so must we all. It is a long and perilous journey ahead. We shall travel ere the moon is high in the sky, then we may set camp Amidst a grassy hill and get what rest we can." Nimthir paused, glancing out over the plains of Rohan.

She then jumped lithely upon Bainon and hailed to Naris and Rydda, who were eying each other with interest. Nimthir smiled slightly, amused.

"Let us carry on, friends. We must go until deep nightfall." Nimthir clicked Bainon onword and positioned herself next to Berior, waiting for them to finish their conversation.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2010 06:27
Berior looked over at the others, noticing that they were all on their mounts and ready to travel now. He was very excited about viewing more of Rohan, for it appeared to be a wonderful place, despite the fact that a great evil in the land was rising. He wondered if they would see any riders of Rohan that he had heard about, great warriors of the plains. If they were lucky, maybe... Berior turned to Nimthir.

"Well, then I guess this could be considered the start of our true journey," he said to her. "We are finally away from home and in unknown lands. You lead the way, Nimthir. We'll follow you wherever you go."

Berior held the reins of his horse tightly, awaiting for Nimthir's next move. Their adventure had just only begun...

[Edited on 28/4/2010 by Passepartout]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2010 12:48
"A few years ago, my brother, my father, and myself were on a scouting mission in the Northern Bree Fields near the Norh Downs," Eodwyn blew out a shaky breath.

"We ended up being out numbered, and we lost many, including my brother and father. I'm only alive because of their sacrifice."

"As for my mother, she passed when she gave birth to my brother."

Rûkh watched the painful emotions play across the young woman's face and was moved. He had to fight to restrain the impulse to slip his arm around her or grab her hand, anything to offer the comfort he himself desired in his own pain.

"Death has indeed been a bitter friend to us both. But perhaps you are right," Rûkh murmured, his gaze darting to the dark eastern horizon, "It may be we will find hope in a new dawn. But wherever our paths may lead, I will be glad to have met you."

The night grew late, and Rûkh suddenly stirred, standing to stretch his stiff muscles.

"We should rest while we may. I will keep watch to make certain the orcs we slew were not followed by more of the foul folk."

Rûkh glanced over his shoulder at the woman, admiring her face in the warm firelight. His heart tingled within him, touched by a feeling he had not felt in many a year.
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2010 03:48
"It may be we will find hope in a new dawn. But wherever our paths may lead, I will be glad to have met you."

Eodwyn smiled. "And I you, Rukh."

"Until you get him killed." said the malicious voice in her head. Eodwyns face fell, she didn't want anything to happen to Rukh, she'll just have to keep a careful eye out.

"I won't get him killed," She said back to the voice.

"We should rest while we may. I will keep watch to make certain the orcs we slew were not followed by more of the foul folk."

"We'll split the watch in half, that way we'll each get an equal share of sleep." Eodwyn watched him as he stirred to stretch his stiff muscles, She looked down at her own wound that Rukh had recently sewed up. Perfectly straight stitches, a clean job; though later on she would need to put a little more of that Athelas Poultice on it that she had made earlier.

She looked up from her inspection to see Rukh staring at her, she blushed and looked away from the look in his eyes. Her heart was stirred by feeling she could not identify.

[Edited on 1/5/2010 by OraedaDlynn]
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2010 06:38
"What is your name, young one?" Naris asked Rydda, "I'm Naris of the Dunedain."

Rydda eyed Naris a bit suspiciously. "My name is Rydda, of Gondor." She said after a moment. "I have not seen one of the Dunedain since," she paused to remember, "before the village was gone."

"Let us carry on, friends. We must go until deep nightfall."

Rydda spurred Silvermane on, and rode up by Nimthir and Berior. After they had finished talking, she spoke up. "You must be careful, riding in Rohan. I have seen the Rohirrim in this area, and they do not take kindly to elves here. Or any foreigners." She muttered the last bit, then glanced up at the elves. "Most of them haven't seen an elf, and the rumors say," Rydda blushed a bit, "that they are not on our side."
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2010 08:01
Naris rode besides Rydda and the elves. He was lost in his own thoughts. What would happen in their great adventure? What creatures would they face?

As a young Dunedain he had gone on a few adventures with his friend Amithil and Amithil's older sister Eodwyn.

Until Amithil and his father had been killed by orcs. Naris frowned, such were the dangers of being a ranger. He had left North Downs soon after. Sometimes he thought about Eodwyn, but not to often; it was better not to dwell in the past.

"Most of them haven't seen an elf, and the rumors say that, they are not on our side."

Rydda's voice brought Naris back to the present. "I always though that the Rohirrim were staunch supporters of Gondor and the Dunedain," Naris said, "What could make Rohan betray them?"

OOC: We can always change Amithil's name, since that was the first thing that popped in my mind at the time.

[Edited on 5/1/2010 by curufinwefeanor13]

[Edited on 5/2/2010 by curufinwefeanor13]
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2010 04:09
"Most of them haven't seen an elf, and the rumors say that, they are not on our side."

Nimthir glanced at the girl, pondering her words. It was true, elves were oft said to be of evil company, and most of the time were held with most suspicious gazes in many parts.

"I should hope they bear enough wisdom to see past their petty myths and lies, for we need allies, very much so... and cannot be thought of in such ways."

She looked ahead, at the plains of Rohan. A stirring rose in her heart, one that she had never felt before. There were new feelings and occurrences before her. That, she knew. For her intuition was clear in the telling. Feelings that were entirely foreign to her.

She glanced at Berior, once more. He sat straight, graceful, yet eagerly in his saddle. He was wise enough, all knowing, yet he had a childish side to him, one seeking adventure and excitement. She felt they had become friends, in a certain way. And that pleased her, but something else in her heart, it thirsted for something more. Like one small spring in a vast desert, that evaporates and leaves the desert thirsting for a bigger one, for more. She shuddered, for such feelings had been prohibeted from her many a year ago. Never would she feel this way again.

She turned away from the company, feeling ashamed and angry at herself.

OOC: Sorry about the delay! I totally forgot to tell you guys that I went away for the weekend! It won't happen again. I'm here now, and next time I leave i'll be sure to let you know.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2010 12:00
Berior was a bit surprised when he heard that elves were not taken kindly around here. At this instant he figured out how ignorant he was, never trying to hear the bad side of things, but always trying to see the good in them. He wasn't sure if that was a bad quality to have yet or not, but he knew that it would bother him.

"I hope we can get past racial tensions if we ever meet any of the people of this land," Berior commented. "I feel that race is quite a stupid thing to take seriously. I believe everyone's different in their own way, no matter what race they are."

Suddenly he noticed Nimthir becoming a little detatched from the company, turning away from them. Concern flooded his thoughts, so he instantly rode beside her to be by her side.

"What is wrong?" he asked, not trying to be too serious about it. "The road onward is that way! We can't have you looking all down and gloomy like this, so cheer up!"
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2010 04:29
"We'll split the watch in half, that way we'll each get an equal share of sleep."

A wry smile tugged at Rûkh's lips.

"As you wish, my lady. I will wake you when half the night is passed."

With that, Rûkh turned and paced a few steps away to where Karbu grazed, his black coat glistening in the light of the pale moon. Rûkh leaned against the stallion's shoulder and scanned the horizon with dark, quick eyes.

Seeing nothing to worry him at the moment, his gaze swiveled to the stars. Pressing his eyes shut, he tried to imagine the sound of the wind whistling through the grasses was really the ocean caressing the shore. He tried to imagine his feet were bare and sunk into the sand.

Opening his eyes and returning to vigilance, he began to sing softly one of the many laments for maids lost to the sea...
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2010 09:50
Eodwyn smiled softly as she listened to Rukh as he sung, he had a nice voice. She then shifted herself so that she was comfortable and then used her bag as a pillow. Before she fell asleep she joined in at the end of Rukhs song.

Later on in the night she was nudged gently, and realized it was her turn for the watch. She got up and took her place a little ways from the fire, she placed her hand on on of her knives in case anything showed up.

While on watch Eodwyn thought of many things, Rukh, the journey and if she'll ever find her horse again. She sighed, her life has defiantely became a strange one but she will bare through it. She turned to look at Rukh and saw that he was in a peaceful sleep. From where she stood she admired his features, and noticing with a grin that he had a slight snore.

Eodwyn returned to her watch waiting for the sun to cross the horizon.
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2010 06:26
"I always though that the Rohirrim were staunch supporters of Gondor and the Dunedain. What could make Rohan betray them?"

Rydda turned her face to the ranger. "Gondor and the Dunedain they support still. Most think that the Lady," Rydda paused to remember the name, "Galadriel, is in league with the White Wizard. According to the rangers I have met, though, that is not true."

Rydda fell silent, thinking about her family. Her grip on Silvermane's reins went slack. Suddenly the gelding bolted, and Rydda almost fell off. After a moment she regained her balance, then grabbed the reins, and pulled him to a halt. Rydda wondered what could have startled him. Then she heard noises in front of her..

(OOC Hope that was ok. I couldn't think of a better way to have her meet Rukh and Eodwyn.)

[Edited on 6/5/2010 by Emeraldstar]
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2010 06:52
Naris watched Rydda's horse bolt and he urged Darkhoof on. A smile was playing across his lips. Suddenly he stiffened, voices were coming from a clearing in front of Rydda.

"Who is there?" Naris called out, "Be you friend or foe?"

Naris brought Darkhoof to a stop beside Silvermane and peered into the clearing. Again he was startled, but this time by a familiar face. "Eodwyn?" he whispered. His childhood friend had become a beautiful woman. He felt his heart skip a beat, she was more beautiful than any elven lady.

[Edited on 5/7/2010 by curufinwefeanor13]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2010 12:04
“Nilûphel? Nilûphel! Are you listening?”
“Yes father?”
“You must start keeping your mind with you, instead of wandering off wherever you please. I know that this subject seems to...displease you, but the fact of the matter is that a girl your age ought to have a husband to look after her and a family to occupy her time. He kept talking, and started mentioning things like “duty” and “obligation to Gondor” she turned her view back to scenes beyond. She heard him sigh in exasperation and leave the room.

Nilûphel heard her mother enter, presumably from listening on the other side of the door. She rose to bank the embers of the fire for the night while her mother stood behind her, almost unsure of what to say.
“He’s just concerned for you... trying to make sure that you’ll have a comfortable life with someone to care for you.” She started; “besides, being married isn’t all that bad, you know” her mother had a habit of making light of everything, and while normally endearing, with this matter, it only served to frustrate her. Nilûphel wasn’t sure what to say, so she said nothing. Her mother continued.
Your father loves you, you know, even if he has an odd way of showing it”

“I know, mother. And “odd” isn’t how I’d phrase it; he’s like a boulder- strong, dependable, and constant in all his attentions. But about as willing to comprimise and listen as one- he’d rather be turned to sand than move away from the waves”

She stood up, brushed the ashes from her hands and her mother gathered her into an embrace and sighed.

“What am I going to do with you, my little Dove?”
Nilûphel sighed herself, gave her mother a kiss, and left without another word.

She stretched and pulled her shell necklace to the outside of her nightdress, and climbed into bed with her sister, Milien rolled over a put her cold feet on Nilûphel’s legs, she would have winced, but she had been expecting it. Milien snuggled closer
“Sing me a song, Nil? You have a such a pretty voice... makes for good dreams” she looked up at Nilûphel through her lashes “please?”

Nilûphel smiled wryly, “if you’re not careful young one, that look is going to get you into a great deal of trouble, but yes- I shall sing to you. What should I sing?”
“something sad, Nil.” Borinon requested as he entered and went to his side of their partitioned room. “you always sing as though its your heart breaking”

She started a song she remembered hearing once when she went with her father to the sea to trade. It had always remained a favorite. It was about a ship, lost and storm tossed, the crew giving up hope and when they were about to give it up entirely, they saw the beacon to guide them home.

By the time she finished, her sister muttered something incomprehensible and their brother snored lightly from his bed. Nilûphel disentangled herself from her sister and rolled over onto her side, hand wandering to the shell necklace. Her father had brought it back for her from another trading venture to the sea, she was to go but the day before her father left, she fell ill. She had been heartbroken at the time, but her father had brought back the shell and strung it on a black cord. And it hadn’t left her neck since.

(OOC: wow, I'm wordy... and if anything needs to be changed/shifted, let me know)

[Edited on 17/5/2010 by Carandra]
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2010 12:28
OOC: Nothing need to be changed, wonderful job Carandra. I'm glad to have you with us!
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2010 11:21
"What is wrong?" he asked, not trying to be too serious about it. "The road onward is that way! We can't have you looking all down and gloomy like this, so cheer up!"

"My mind is wandering, I am afraid. It is nothing of importance." Nimthir nodded curtly, then suddenly she heard Naris's small, shocked voice in the darkness.

"Eodwyn?" She heard him say. She nudged Bainon slowly over to where she dectected the voices.

A tall, lean, figure stood, with another closely running up behind.

She lept down from her horse and dropped the reigns, in trust that he would not move. She slowly crept up behind Naris's rigid, still figure and came into the light, eyeing the figure before her.

A woman. Slim, with dark brown locks and an outfit suit for a ranger of the North. Her features were shocked, but gentle, and motherly. She was beautiful, Nimthir had to admit, for a mortal woman.

Nimthir slowly caressed her dagger handle, getting ready to snatch it out if needed. Then she spoke.

"Be you friend or foe, may I ask your name and your business here? For we need not ponder with those under the enemies reign."

She stood tall, and effortlessly strong, ready with her dagger in chance that this woman was a threat.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2010 02:32
"If you say so..." Berior replied quietly to Nimthir, though he wished he could say more. He knew that there was something bothering, but he felt that it would not be a good thing to pry for more information at the moment. One has to do thinking on their own at some point, anyways. Nevertheless, he felt concerned for her, and would watch out for more ways that he could help her as they travelled, as he knew that it must be very stressful.

Rydda's mount suddenly shot forward with her on it and Berior could not help but let out a small laugh, until he heard other voices. He urged his mount forwards and saw two people standing there, a tall man, and a woman. He observed that Naris seemed to recognize the woman, who he called "Eodwyn." It was quite obvious to Berior that they knew each other from the past, judging by the expressions on their faces. He cast a sidelong glance at Naris with an inquisitive look on his face.

"You know this woman?" he asked, curious. "It seems the world is truly smaller than I thought it was..."

He stood by, watching as Nimthir asked them if they were friend or foe. Berior himself assumed that they were friendly, but he was known to be a bit naive when it came to these things, so his opinion was a bit arbitrary. He sat on his mount, without even a hand on his weapon, as he suspected no danger, and did not want to seem unfriendly. Berior did not say a word yet, as Nimthir clearly had a handle over the situation, standing strong and more confident than he had ever seen her before.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2010 04:25
"Be you friend or foe, may I ask your name and your business here? For we need not ponder with those under the enemies reign."

Rûkh had not slept well. His body had remained rigid, muscles tight as he listened intently for any sounds. He heard every now and again the whisper of cloth as Eodwyn shifted her position. If she happened to wander close enough to him, he caught the soft sound of her breathing.

So when the strange voice echoed from the shadows, close to dawn, he jerked himself out of a hazy, half-conscious state and lurched to his feet. His shoulder immediately screamed in pain at the movement and he stood still a moment, steadying himself and waiting for the pain to subside.

His dark eyes scanned the shadows, making out the forms of four strangers and their horses. He could not quite see their faces, as he drew even with Eodwyn. He bent and lifted the curved orc blade which he had kept with him.

"You ask whether we be friend or foe, but how can we know unless we are informed of who you are? I would say that unless you are servants of the dark lord, orcs, men or worse, than we may be at least passing strangers," he said, his voice strong and commanding.

Rûkh glanced at Eodwyn, and added, "Step here into the light. I deem you are not orcs at least, and we may discuss things better when we may see your faces."
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2010 08:55
"Step here into the light. I deem you are not orcs at least, and we may discuss things better when we may see your faces."

Eodwyn agreed with Rukh, it was still dark out so it was hard to see any facial features. She waited, anticipitating for anything that might go wrong as she kept her hands on her knives. As the strangers faces became clearer she recognised two as Elves, a child, and a friend that she has not seen in a long while.

"Naris!?"

Eodwyn was surprised. She never thought she would run into anyone that she knew personally any time soon especially now in the middle of Rohan. Eodwyn gathered herself remembered that there were others present.

"Mae Govannen, My name is Eodwyn, I am of the Dunedain. I am a friend. Rukh and I are just travellers." Eodwyn smiled at Naris.

Eodwyn rested her hand on Rukhs sword hand letting him know that they were in no immediate danger.

"Since now we know we are allys in these dark days, what, may I ask has brought a fellow dunedain, two elves and a girl to the middle of Rohan?"
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2010 04:00
Rydda blushed a bit as she heard some of the others laughing. It wasn't her fault that the gelding bolted.

She looked down at the two strangers warily, while calming Silvermane down. The woman was clearly a Dunedain, but Rydda couldn't place the man.

"Since now we know we are allies in these dark days, what, may I ask, has brought a fellow dunedain, two elves and a girl to the middle of Rohan?"

She glanced at Eodwyn, who was still looking at Naris. Rydda wasn't sure if it was her place to answer, and looked at the rest of the group, waiting for one of them to speak.

(OOC Sorry I took so long to post this little bit. I have a cold, and my mind isn't working well.)
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2010 02:50
"You know this woman?" Berior asked, curious. "It seems the world is truly smaller than I thought it was..."

Naris shook himself to rid himself of the shock. The last time he had seen Eodwyn he had been angry at the loss of his best friend. He had blamed Eodwyn for Amithil's death, but he had soon come to terms with his friend's death and regretted not meeting Eodwyn again.

"Oh," Naris muttered, "We have met." He hoped that the elf wouldn't delve to deep, since it was still a fresh enough wound.

"Since now we know we are allies in these dark days, what, may I ask, has brought a fellow dunedain, two elves and a girl to the middle of Rohan?"

Naris looked up when he heard Eodwyn's companion speak. He hoped that Nimthir would explain their quest.

OOC:I once had a cold while doing a RP too, so I know how you feel.

[Edited on 5/15/2010 by curufinwefeanor13]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2010 04:34
(OCC: sorry for both the length and the delay, been something of a bad week, car dying, spouse leaving for three months for an internship, comp nearly crashing. Oiy)

On her way out of her room the next morning Nilûphel stopped in front of the mirror she shared with her sister and paused at the reflection. She was small, slight and wryly built and was often confused for being the youngest, an event that caused Milien no shortage of amusement. Nilûphel had black hair and grey eyes, much like the rest of the people of Gondor, with a smattering of freckles she had from her time outdoors. She didn’t think herself all that pretty, especially compared to her sister. Her sister had deep brown eyes with flecks of green in them and hair with an auburn tint to it, much like thier brother and mother. Nilûphel felt like she resembled a grey day, like thier father. She stretched and pulled her shell necklace to the outside of her dress, colored in her usual grey.

After breakfast, her father brought the subject back up. Earlier than usual, though Nilûphel knew this was becuase of his upcoming journey to trade “I know of a few men in my trade route that have sons of acceptable ages... if you feel no one in Gondor would suit you, I can inquire. I know the familes are reputable and that they would respect you and treat you well. And Hallon asked after you again today. Accepting a single token of courtship doesn’t promise anything, it only offers encouragement.”

Hallon. Of course. Nilûphel’s primary misgiving with Hallon was the fact that he was a widower. He and her friend had been wed almost a year ago and Nilûphel had watched at thier wedding, thier vows of love, the glow on her friend’s face, but she fell ill not too long after, and despite all measures, she had wasted away. That had been only two months prior. Two months. The minimum grieving time. And now, without a seeming thought about the wife he had buried, he was persuing her. The thought stirred her to a seldom felt anger.

It was moments like this that she missed her grandmother the most. She had passed on the prior winter. Her grandmother had been a healer and midwife and taught Nilûphel as much as she could. There had always been a special bond between the pair of them, Nilûphel had even been named in her honor- her name being Nilûphêr. She would have known what to do, how to explain how she felt to her father, even get her out of the situation entirely. She always smelled of herbs and bread, and would sometimes provide her an excuse for her to go wandering on her own.

She knew now that it wasn’t all that safe, with Osgiliath always being contested and more and more orcs were about, raiding and killing. But none of them thus far hed been seen near her ruins, almost closer to Rohan than to Gondor. But she didn’t want her life to start by one hearth and end by another with nothing in between. Her mother called her a dove, and she longed to be a bird, but not a dove.
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2010 07:08
"Since now we know we are allys in these dark days, what, may I ask has brought a fellow dunedain, two elves and a girl to the middle of Rohan?"

Nimthir relased her dagger and eyed the woman up and down. Long tresses of dark brown hair caressed her pale, smooth face, yet scortched with dirt and blood. She must have fought many a battle in her day, Nimthir thought. Not nearly as many as Nimthir had fought throughout the thousands of years, yet many indeed.

"It is I who leads these folk. They are of their own free will, yet they choose to follow me. I am Nimthir of Mirkwood, I am traveling in search of a friend irreplaceable to me in these dark times. This is Rydda, who we found on the plains of Rohan, with no water, food or shelter. On her own account has she chosen to come with us, and I would not hinder her. Naris, you appear to know, and once more of his own will does he wish to travel with this fellowship. Berior...-" She paused, looking down. "--- is a friend of mine from Mirkwood. He... wished..." she paused once more, trying to avoid saying that Berior had come only as a protective force to keep Nimthir out of harms way. "To accompany me."

"I cannot speak for the others that have befallen my path, yet I can only hope they wish to turn back before the end, for this path is one that I expect to be perilous and dark. We are headed for Gondor, and I may dare to hope that we will all reach it... alive." She looked Eodwyn in the eyes, with an unwavering gaze, trying to convey a connection between the two. She sensed a motherly kindness to her, and a sense of leadership. She was strong, oh yes. Nimthir felt it more than anything.

Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2010 11:57
Berior stopped prying once he noticed Naris' reaction to the woman's appearance. They must have had a bad past or something, but Berior could not put his finger on what could've happened between them that caused Naris to react in such a way. He wished to know, but he felt it was a subject that was better kept between the two as something only they should know.

Berior felt more at ease now that everyone was lowering their weapons and talking. He wondered what they were doing on here, all battle scarred like this. Apparently the outside world was worse than he had thought; evil seemed to be everywhere now.

He listened to Nimthir's explanation of how they all came to be a group and was a bit curious as to why she paused while explaining his part in it. I guess everyone stumbles on their words every once in a while, Berior thought naively to himself.

Berior stood back, not saying anything as he awaited for some sort of response from the two people they had just met. He hoped that they would be friendly with the situation and come out of it without any problems, as he disliked fighting with other people.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2010 01:36
"Naris!?"

Rûkh stood, muscles still tense as he watched the strange group. At Eodwyn's cry, he realized that she knew one of them well -- therefore, he did not think they would prove dangerous. This conviction was strengthened when the group lowered their weapons.

Glancing over, he caught the smile that played on Eodwyn's face upon recognizing her friend. Once more his dark gaze swung to the one called Naris. He didn't know why, but suddenly he wished the group had never stumbled upon their camp.

"I cannot speak for the others that have befallen my path, yet I can only hope they wish to turn back before the end, for this path is one that I expect to be perilous and dark. We are headed for Gondor, and I may dare to hope that we will all reach it... alive."

Rûkh glanced over at Eodwyn to see if she would respond, but when she did not, he shifted his weight to his right leg and spoke up.

"Dark days these are indeed, and the land fraught with danger. Not far off we encountered a band of orc-filth. I would caution you," Rûkh's gaze drifted to Naris, "...To be on your guard."
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2010 06:30
"Dark days these are indeed, and the land fraught with danger. Not far off we encountered a band of orc-filth. I would caution you," Rûkh's gaze drifted to Naris, "...To be on your guard."

"Yes, it seems that more and more orcs are prowling the area." Eodwyn put a little more weight on her good leg so that she was a little more comfortable.

"it would seem that fate has once again has a plan, it feels as if we were supposed to meet you all, do you have room for a couple more? For I would like to accompany you." Eodwyn looked at Rukh. "You do not have to follow me, it is your choice to stay or go."

After asking Rukh, she silently hoped that he would choose to go with them. His company ever since they met, has been a joy and meant a lot to her.

(OC:: so sorry that it took so long! Summer courses just began!)
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2010 08:55
Naris could feel Rûkh's gaze on him; it was a little hostile. They hadn't even truly met, yet Rûkh was already wary of him.

"It would seem that fate has once again has a plan, it feels as if we were supposed to meet you all, do you have room for a couple more? For I would like to accompany you." Eodwyn looked at Rukh. "You do not have to follow me, it is your choice to stay or go."

The smile on Eodwyn's face told Naris that she wanted Rûkh to accompany them on their quest. A pang of jealousy hit Naris like an arrow. He hoped Rûkh would decline the invitation.

[Edited on 5/23/2010 by curufinwefeanor13]
vendenuisil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2010 07:42
Zamani had been walking all day. Twilight fast approaching, she set up camp. It was warm enough that she didn't require a fire, just a tree to rest her back against and a moment to finish off some cram and water. She ignored most of the sounds that echoed through the forest, the bird calls and the creak of branches shifting in the wind. And sometimes when there was no wind. But what she didn't ignore was the shriekish and unexpected whinny of a horse not far off.

She rose quickly to her feet and followed the sound until she found the beast. It was huge for one thing, far different from the delicate breeds of the South, this creature was bred for work and war. More intriguing still, it was still wearing tack. A worn leather saddle was donned on its back and its black reigns, the source of its worries, had been ensnared in a tree branch. How they had managed to become so tangled she had no idea, but the creature didn't take kindly to her when she moved in to help it. Panic shined in its dark eyes and when she got too close it reared back and tried to strike her with its flailing hooves. Immediately, the girl backed away.

“Very well,” she said quietly in the tongue of the Haradrim, “I'll wait.” She sat where the horse could see her. She didn't move much and after a while the horse's panic turned to nervousness and finally indifference. She moved a little closer and the process restarted. She inched forward in this manner for the better part of two hours. It was long past dark when something interrupted the peaceful night. Many somethings in fact, dozens, armor clanking and breathing heavy, almost like growling. Orcs traveling across the fields of Rohan at the edge of the forest, only a few moments away. Zamani's breath caught and she rose to her feet. The horse inhaled sharply, but made no noise.

“Quiet, keep quiet,” she whispered soothingly, but she could feel the panic rising in the creature. So long as the orcs kept moving, it should be okay. They'd just keep moving and it would all be alright...

“STOP!” The roar of a shout by the orcs' leader echoed loud enough for every orc to hear and it was the last straw for the frightened steed. It gave an unmistakable cry of fear and reared back into the air, flailing and bucking madly in an attempt to dislodge its reigns. It didn't manage anything of the sort and above the horse's cries, Zamani could hear the orcs nearby growling their excitement at hearing the sounds of prey. She could hear the first of them entering the forest and all around her the wood began to groan malevolently.

“Gods help me,” she breathed before racing in amongst the flying hooves and tearing the reigns free from the trees' clasp. She had not even half a second before the horse realized it had been set free and she was only half in the saddle when it went tearing out of the woods through branches that seemed to be moving to block their escape. But the horse could see the fields of Rohan and nothing was stopping it from reaching those. Zamani, meanwhile, was struggling not to fall off or drop her weapons or pack. By the time the horse burst out of the clutches of Fangorn Forest, she was just beginning to feel secure on its back.

She had no idea where the horse was taking her, but she knew they were a streak across the fields, a blur of movement. This horse could practically fly. She didn't know where they were headed, but so long as it was away from the orcs, she was okay with it.

((Hope it's alright if I join? I saw in an earlier post that someone lost a horse near Fangorn Forest. And since my character didn't have one I figured I'd use it to catch up to the rest of you. Let me know if there's anything I need to fix or change and I'll be glad to. My character's profile is in the database as Zamani Rai.))
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2010 03:04
"Yes, it seems that more and more orcs are prowling the area."

"it would seem that fate has once again has a plan, it feels as if we were supposed to meet you all, do you have room for a couple more? For I would like to accompany you."

"Ah..." Nimthir stepped one foot forward with caution. "I see. You choose to accompany us, yet for what reason do you wish to follow on this perilous journey? For I can see no valid reason for anyone who has come this far."

"Yet, I would not refuse a willing arm, and it seems you have a strong will of your own. Wish you to accompany us, I will not hinder you. We are off to Helms deep, and I would not stop one who is willing to fight the many battles of middle earth by my and my company's side."

"We must set in for the night. It is late and we must camp on the plains, and in morning, before sunrise, we will be on our weary feet once more. This will be no forgiving journey, may I warn you."

Nimthir slowly stepped closer to the woman, and met her gaze once more. She cautiously extended a half hearted hand, and said under her breath "Welcome to the company."

maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2010 03:05
(( OOC: Yes, Venduniusil, I do not mind if you join us. I see your talent in RPGing, so by all means, welcome to the RPG! If you have any more questions just PM me or any of the members. Once again WELCOME!))
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2010 09:22
Nilûphel finished the climb to the abandoned village, past the outskirts of Gondor.
She dropped her small bag

After letting down her long hair and stowing both her scarf and shoes into the bag she made a crown of ferns and small flowers, and placed it on her head. She climbed on top of one of the broken, moss covered walls:

“I proclaim myself queen of this ruin and all those who dwell therein.”

A breeze rippled through the fallen buildings and the wildflowers and grass nodded thier obiecience to thier new queen. She smiled a little at her stolen time. Her father had just left on a trading ventuer and thought her at home, and her mother supposed she went with her father and she had nearly a week to spend as she wished, to be free. She leapt nimbly down and set up a small camp inside of the crumbling buildings nearest the old well.

It had taken her nearly a full day to get to here. She sighed happily and pulled a pear out of her bag and happily crunched her way through it, wishing only that the sun was out... It was cloudy in Gondor. It always seemed to be cloudy in Gondor, though she had supposed she was far enough away that the sun might have started to break out, but alas.

On a whim, she pulled out her small flute and trilled a few notes on it. She played a simple melody, she got up and twirled as she imagined the flowers would, if they could dance- her grey skirt fanning out around her mimicking petals in the wind.

She closed her eyes and pretended she was at sea, playing on her flute the sound of the waves, the aching cry of the gulls. Wondering if maybe she should just run off for good and try her fortunes that way- she could dance and sing to provide for herself, wondering about the life of a bird wondering about the life of trees, and stars, and of elves, and, as she became increasingly aware, wondering what that sound was behind her....

And should she hide?
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2010 11:28
Berior smiled. They had gained new companions for their journey, and he was quite happy about it. The more, the merrier, he had always thought. After all, Middle Earth is much more dangerous than it once was before. Orcs and other fell beasts of Mordor now roamed the land, so there were bound to be dangers. He looked down at the two from his horse.

"Glad we could get on friendly terms," he said to them kindly. "I can't wait for the journeys we will go on together."

The day was definitely getting dark. They had spent much daylight talking. He hoped they would be able to gain some ground before the lights went out. They would have to make camp eventually, but it was best if they would make as much out of the time they had. Berior did not show his eagerness to move on, though. He just sat and waited for the pleasantries to pass.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email