Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Nimthir's Journey
on: May 28, 2010 01:26
"it would seem that fate has once again has a plan, it feels as if we were supposed to meet you all, do you have room for a couple more? For I would like to accompany you." Eodwyn looked at Rukh. "You do not have to follow me, it is your choice to stay or go."

Rûkh for a moment forgot the presence of the strangers as his dark gaze fell on Eodwyn's face, her features glowing in the faint moonlight. The fire behind them cast a orange-gold glow around her silhouette. He had met the woman only twenty four hours before, and yet he felt as if it had been much longer. In his loneliness he had reached out to her without even realizing he had done so. To leave her company now struck him as a great evil.

He shook his head slightly.

"I will remain by your side. Truly you have said that fate crossed our paths."

"I see. You choose to accompany us, yet for what reason do you wish to follow on this perilous journey? For I can see no valid reason for anyone who has come this far."

At the elf maiden's question, Rûkh broke off his stare from Eodwyn. He scanned the elf's face, unused to her strange features.

"I cannot speak for the Lady Eodwyn, but for myself I would say that I have wandered long and lonely. The company of others..." he hesitated, glancing at Eodwyn out of the corner of his eye, "...I find need of. You are cautious and rightly so, yet we know the dangers into which we walk and should any ill come of these choices you will not be to blame for it."

[Edited on 29/5/2010 by Sava-Tennoio]
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2010 07:10
"Glad we could get on friendly terms," he said to them kindly. "I can't wait for the journeys we will go on together."

"I agree, now let Rukh and I pack up our camp and we can put some miles behind us."Eodwyn walked slowly back to their camp being mindful of her leg wound.

She contemplated over everything was said in the metting with the others. She was happy that she was reunited with her childhood friend and glad that he seemed to have gotten over with what happened to her brother, or she hope.

She was even more ecstatic when Rukh decided to stay by her side throughout their new journey. She looked at him with a happy smile as he came over to help pack everything up.

"Careful, I don't want you to pull your stitches out" she said with a kind smile. Within twenty minutes the two had their stuff ready and packed.

Now the only thing now that can make her happier was that if she could only find her horse...

[Edited on 31/5/2010 by OraedaDlynn]
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2010 06:11
Naris gritted his teeth when he heard Rûkh agree to come along. Even though they had barely met he felt very uneasy around him.

While Eodwyn and Rûkh were straightening there camp he moved closer to Nimthir. "Do you trust the man?" he whispered to her. "We don't know what kind of dangers we could face here, and the enemy has many allies."
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2010 07:31
"Do you trust the man?" he whispered to her. "We don't know what kind of dangers we could face here, and the enemy has many allies."

Nimthir glanced at Naris, searching his young, scratched, eager face.

"I do not know, Naris. Until the day we find that we can, in all trust, count on these two followers, we must stay wary of ourselves... and our friends." Nimthir smiled gently at Naris now, hoping he would understand the meaning of her words.

By this time, she had learnt that Naris was a true, honest soul. One that would fight till the end. She felt, for the first time, lucky to have such a follower with her on this journey.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2010 09:40
Berior walked over to Naris and Nimthir.

"I think these folk will be just fine with us," he said. "We can't go around thinking everyone's gonna stab us in the back or else we won't make any allies at all."

Berior looked over at Eodwyn and Rûkh with a mild glance as they packed their belongings up.

"Personally, I have a good feeling about those two."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2010 05:30
"Careful, I don't want you to pull your stitches out" she said with a kind smile.

Rûkh hesitated a moment, his dark eyes scanning the Eodwyn's face. He didn't know why her kind tone and smile had suddenly struck him, but they did. Shaking his head ever so slightly, he returned her smile, returning to his pack.

"Why do I feel as if I have known you for ever and not just the past few hours?"

The moment the words slipped from his tongue, his face flushed a deep red. He hadn't really meant to speak them out loud. His eyes darted to hers as he cleared his throat.

He didn't really know how to get himself out of this one.

So instead he finished packing and saddled his stallion. The others were waiting. He needed to keep his mind on track.

At last, all was packed. Rûkh turned to Eodwyn as she approached.

"Until we find another horse, you will have to ride with me still, my lady. But you must let me help you up, as you said, 'I do not want you to pull your stitches out.'"

~*~

Hours later the group jogged over the plains of Rohan. Rûkh rode toward the back of the group, enjoying the way Eodwyn's arms felt wrapped around his waist. Ever he kept a watchful eye on Naris, uncertain why he had taken such a disliking to the man.

This wasn't like Rûkh.

He hadn't felt this way in so many years...
vendenuisil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2010 06:26
It wasn't until morning that Zamani stopped for a short while and at that it was barely more than an hour or two to let the horse rest and graze for a while. She was a little worried that it would wander off, but it seemed to be content with staying around her. Wise enough considering that orcs were roaming around, the two of them were both more likely to survive by sticking together.

It wasn't yet noon when Zamani set her course south and started off again on the back of the strong horse. She was surprised he'd just been left out in the woods like that. The horse's endurance was exceptional and he ran so fast it seemed like flying.

It was afternoon and she had been riding smoothly for a few hours when she came across the very first group of people she'd seen since the orcs the night before. She could count no one as an ally in this land, so she quickly tried to veer the horse away from the group. At first it seemed like the good creature would listen to her, but suddenly it tossed its head, nostrils flaring as it turned and galloped straight towards the lot of them. A group of men and elves from the look of it, better than orcs only in that they were unlikely to be prone to eating her. She tugged harder at the reigns, pleading with the horse in her own tongue to turn away, but it wouldn't be dissuaded.

“Zhe-zhe, hurastarn,” she said in a soft, urgent voice. “Fly. Away, fool. Away.” But her words were lost in the hoof-beats and it had soon blended into the group of riders streaking across the plains. It slid in next to one bearing two: a man and a woman. The strange woman's hair fluttered behind her in dark waves and freckles dotted her face. Zamani tugged at the reigns, but the horse wouldn't leave its true owner's side.

Zamani now had a choice: stay on the creature and deal with these people of Rohan or try jumping from a horse's back while it rode at a swift canter. It hardly even gave her a better chance if she dismounted. If she wasn't injured or trampled, the group might circle back regardless and attack. She stood the best chance where she was, even if that chance was minimal. But she hardly knew a few hundred words in their tongue. How was she even going to communicate once they'd stopped?

She hung on, knuckles white from the death grip she had on the reigns, the only thing keeping her hands from shaking in fear. She was a Haradrim, and in spite of her Middle-Earth attire, her features gave away her race. There wasn't a person alive in Middle Earth that didn't know who the Haradrim served and that made her the enemy of every man and elf riding not a few feet from her.
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2010 12:47
"Why do I feel as if I have known you for ever and not just the past few hours?"

Eodwyn blushed at his words, she smiled at him when he looked at her and she couldn't deny that she felt the same way. She watched as Rukh walked away packing the rest of thier stuff away. She really had no reply to his words.

Until we find another horse, you will have to ride with me still, my lady. But you must let me help you up, as you said, 'I do not want you to pull your stitches out.

"Thank you," She smiled at him allowing him to help her up on to his stallion. Eodwyn scrunched her face a little when her stitches pulled a little from when she adjusted herself in the saddle.

As they rode on Eodwyn had a nagging feeling that there was tension between her childhood friend Naris and her newly acquired friend Rukh.

"friend? I think you consider Rukh a little closer than that. Eodwyn frowned she thought the voice had finally dissappeared from her mind. She replied back in her mind.

"I've known him for almost two days, he is a friend."

Sure.

~*~*~

Hours passed and Eodwyn amusing herself by little things. Like how Rukhs hair flew in the wind, and watch how small animals would scurry away from their speeding horses.

Soon another noise attracted her attention, another set of horse hooves pounding on the grass, she looked around and came to see a person flying towards them. When the horse and rider got close enough she recognised the horse as her own.

"Dolraen!" She yelled to her horse as it came up along side her and Rukh. Eodwyn looked at the rider and noticed that she was of Harad. She became cautious of the woman.

Eodwyn hobbled off of Rukhs horse and started to stroke the nose of her horse and spoke calming words in elvish to him.

After calming her horse Eodwyn looked at the woman and fixed her with a steely gaze.

"Who are you and how did you come by my horse?"

curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2010 10:43
A Haradrim! Naris thought in alarm when he saw the strange rider. Most likely a spy of whatever evil haunted Middle Earth. Naris drew his sword. "You will not harm any of us for your dark master!" he said while holding his sword high.

Darkhoof moved closer to the Haradrim and to the two other riders. "Be ready to fight," Naris warned.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2010 06:52
(ooc: if anyone doesn't like this, I'll remove it/fix it, but I thought this could help kill time a wee bit)

She stopped playing her flute and tucked into her sleeve. The noises were getting closer. She could hear the sound of horses, which mean that it probably wasn’t orcs, but that still was no guarantee of safety... Nilûphel cursed her stupidity as she gathered her skirts and turned to hide, quickly dashing into the crumbling building where she had laid her campsite. She stowed her bag inside the ruined chimney; out of sight and danger, and quickly kicked out the embers she had laid, though she knew that if they were stumbled up it would be a near dead giveaway.
They were closer now, whoever they were. In an act of desperation, she started to climb down the well, the begining was easy enough, the old natural stones made for near perfect hand and foot holds and her slender build and dancer tendancies made the descent easy work.... until her foot slipped on the damp stones lower in and she started to fall until she barely caught herself.

Nilûphel bit back a gasp as her skirt caught and she cut her leg just above her knee. When she felt that her perch was a bit more secure, she pulled her skirts loose, though still bunched it above the cut, which had started to bleed freely; she could feel it trickling down her leg and starting to pool in the slender crevice where her toes held her still. She knew that the second she shifted, her grip would give way. Her arms were starting to ache, but...

She cursed herself mentally, why had she run off? Even her brother, Borinon, had said that it was dangerous. Atleast he and her sister knew where she really was, though given the circumstances that wasn’t really all that comforting.

Who was that up there? She heard several voices. Atleast two women, and one almost had the sound of a child...that couldn’t be... could it?

But she couldn’t hear all that well, and they could be hostages... by now she knew they weren’t orcs, but they could be men from the south who were said to serve the dark lord.... or worse, they could be Haradrim. Were they looking for her? Had they found evidence that she was there? It wouldn’t be hard, she chided herself. She was no Ranger and had no such skills to hide and mislead.

She played the flute, sang and danced and day-dreamed and generally got herself into trouble by doing so. But never before anything like this. She shut her eyes and tensed as she heard a shout above her and some yells that should couldn’t catch for the echoes in the well.

Nilûphel had been found.
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Lastande_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2010 08:59
Rydda watched and listened silently to the newcomers. Just looking at the woman called Eodwyn made her feel...comfortable? Safe? Eodwyn seemed so strong, like she could keep people she liked safe.

No, she told herself, don't allow yourself to like her. If you do, something bad will happen to her, just like everyone else you liked. It doesn't matter how strong they are.

Rydda yawned suddenly. Even with food and company, she was still tired.

OOC: Is this OK? It's my first-ever RP post. Hopefully upcoming ones will be longer.
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2010 01:06
Nimthir turned her gaze from Naris and Berior as the sound of horses hoof beats, loud and vigorous, became apparent.

She slid her hand gracefully on her dagger and whipped around, to find a panting, sweating horse that Eodwyn became familiar with and one of her own kind. An elf... and to be specific, she was precisely of the Haradrim. An interesting sight, as times like these did not bring many travelers of the elvish race out in the open.

Naris turned and looked at her with suspicious eyes and grasped the handle of his sword, pulling it swiftly from its sheath.

"Be ready to fight," Naris warned.

Nimthir sidled over to Naris, close enough to feel his body heat, and held her dagger close by her side. She noticed Berior as he pounced beside her in a protective way, drawing his sword as well.

Eodwyn questioned the woman, and then when she did not answer, Nimthir pranced beside Eodwyn and fixed a calming, gentle gaze on the Elf, so as not to frighten her. Yet still held her dagger unnoticeably by her side just in case.

She spoke in a calming voice.

"Greetings... you are of my kind. Feel not threatened by this company, for we travel together in peace, and strive to save others from the peril of the great one. Yet do please tell us whom you serve and what bringest you to these unlikely plains."

She paused, and waited for a response.
vendenuisil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2010 03:48
It did not take the company long to respond to her arrival. Moments later, they were slowing to a stop and her horse with them. She didn't wait to be accused of trying to take the horse, or really for anyone to say anything. As soon as the horse had slowed to a walk she had sprung out of its saddle, careful to keep her weapon with her, though it was lowered in defense as she stumbled back onto her own two feet. She had no intention of striking first, though her eyes showed clearly the fear that would bring her to defend herself if it came to that.

Although she only understood every other word or so, the intention behind them was clear enough. They were distrustful and rightly so, the fact that they hadn't yet attacked her was show of faith enough.

If Zamani seemed to hesitate in response to the questions posed to her, it was not for lack of wanting to put their fears to rest, but rather for struggling to find the words to do it. She didn't even know the common Middle Earth word for horse. In a halting, heavily accented voice she finally replied.

“Harustarn ran. I ran. From...” Even in her own tongue the concept of Fangorn Forest would have been a hard one to relay. She'd never seen the like before. “Dark forest, angry forest... and orcs.” That last word she knew well enough to say it with an inflection of hatred.

“I serve no lord,” she said, looking at the one who'd first drawn his sword against her, “I mean no harm. Sauron call matonu...my father old, blades at the necks of my sisters. He left for us. I came for him, in secret. Rekhan ram...to protect. I fail, he is dead. Rohirrim arrows.”

“I go south,” she said, her voice soft now. She had absently begun stroking Dolraen's side. “I go home. Walk in shadows, keep from others, slowly, alone. I go home.”

“I hear good and mercy are in elves and men. Let me go,” she said, and in the mix of pride and fear it was hard to say if she was demanding it or pleading. “Or do you cut down a lost girl?”

Her speech had been, at best, difficult to understand through the thick accent and the odd pacing. Many words it took her quite a few moments to remember. And some phrases she knew by heart. A kind stranger had taught her 'I mean no harm' some time ago and many more violent terms she'd learned from orcs and soldiers whose hearts lusted for blood and death. She could only hope that bloodlust wasn't echoed here and that the civility of the company was keener than their inclination towards the weapons that each carried.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2010 04:36
Berior had his sword out instantly once he saw the suspicious stranger. He did not want anyone in their party to get injured or hurt because of his lack of attention, especially Lady Nimthir, so he was always ready to fight or defend. Some may call this a little paranoid, which was true, but most of it was triggered by Berior's care for his companions' lives.

As soon as the strange Haradrim woman got off the horse and told them about her story, Berior instantly felt bad about taking out his weapon in a threatening manner. This person was obviously innocent and needed help. He took note to not judge others because of their race, for it could get him in deep trouble someday. Even some Haradrim are not corrupted by the Dark Lord, he supposed.

Berior lowered his blade, not ready to sheath it yet. He knew that this could be a well formed trap, but he wouldn't rely on that paranoia. Berior sighed.

"We mean you no harm," Berior replied to the woman. "The land is dangerous now, so forgive us for forming conclusions so soon. What is your name? Do you have need of aid?"

While he awaited an answer, Berior cast a sidelong glance at the Elf woman who appeared suddenly, almost at the same time. Nimthir appeared to be handling the introductions for now, so he waited for an answer from both the Haradrim and the Elf lady with interest.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2010 12:28
The moment the woman of Harad had thundered into their midst, Rûkh had dropped a hand to the orc sword now swinging from the makeshift sheath at his hip. Pulling his stallion up with the other hand, he did not draw the blade.

Eodwyn swung down and calmed her horse, and all the while Rûkh observed.

He had seen the people of Harad before. Every now and again one of their ships sailed near the coast. Once his own fishing vessel had hit a sand bar and left him stranded at sea. A kind man of Harad, unable to communicate in the common tongue, had rescued him and they had parted with many a bow and smile.

Rûkh knew very little of the war with Sauron, but he was fairly certain the dark lord had the Haradrim among his minions.

Rûkh considered the girl with the same amount of silent distrust and thoughtfulness that he offered all the others.

All the others, except Eodwyn.

Somehow she had put him at ease, only moments after their meeting. He glanced at her then, noting how comfortable she was with the creature which was her own.

The thought occurred to him then that she may reclaim her beast and no longer ride with him.

He was surprised at the disappointment that rippled through him. Biting his lip, he tried to push the emotion away.

[Edited on 4/7/2010 by Sava-Tennoio]
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2010 05:06
Eodwyn realised that the Haradrim woman may not know what she was talking about, she repeated her question again with hand gestures.

She waited for a few moments and the Haradrim woman awkwardly signed back.

'I think we might be able to trust her.' she thought to herself.

Another thought popped up into her mind. She had her horse back and that meant that she didn't have to ride with Rukh anymore. A sadness crept over her and it surprised her. She realised then that one half of her wanted to ride alone on her horse as to not weigh Rukhs stallion down and the other half of her wanted to stay on his horse with her arms wrapped around him.

Eodwyn stared at the ground in indicision and with a faint blush.
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2010 02:39
"Your father was killed by Rohirrim?" Naris questioned. "Where, and how did you escape?" He had put his sword down while Nimthir had made her speech. The Haradrim woman seemed harmless enough.

Darkhoof edged closer to the Haradrim. "What should we do with her, Lady Nimthir?"
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2010 06:32
Nimthir saw the hopeless face of the Haradrim woman as she tried her hardest to understand what they were all saying.

Naris set his sword down.

"What should we do with her, Lady Nimthir?"

Nimthir sighed, she seemed harmless, she supposed. With all of the fellowship against her, she would be of no harm to anyone. It was what information she could learn from them.

"I see that she will be no harm to us, yet we must be wary. Keep an eye on her, let us offer her a setting where she may sleep and take food and drink, and perhaps she will travel with us."

She looked over to Eodwyn, and motioned for her to come over.

"Lady Eodwyn, is it much to ask of you to offer food and drink to this traveler? I fear she is lost, she has the countenance of a wandering one. We may offer her shelter and rest as long as she will take it from us."

Nimthir waited patiently for her answer, trying to read Eodwyn's face.

OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2010 01:27
"Lady Eodwyn, is it much to ask of you to offer food and drink to this traveler? I fear she is lost, she has the countenance of a wandering one. We may offer her shelter and rest as long as she will take it from us."

Eodwyn agreed with Nimthir.

"Yes, I will split some of my provisions with her so that we both have enough to eat until we reach a place where we can stock back up on provisions."

Eodwyn shrugged off her bag once she was back at her horse and dug out her provisions and split them. Once done she handed the Haradrim womans portion to her and put the rest back in her bag.

"Here you go." she said with a smile. "You may also continue riding my horse Dolraen for the time being, I have no problem with continueing to ride with Rukh." She looked back at Rukh with a smile.

"As long as it is no problem to you, Rukh."
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2010 03:46
Rûkh felt his heart grow warm as Eodwyn gave of her own provisions without hesitation or thought for herself.

"As long as it is no problem to you, Rukh."

Rûkh fought off a broad grin, succeeding in keeping his face at least partially sober, but not from keeping the twinkle from his eyes. He nodded, forcing his voice to come out calm, but with a touch of warmth.

"No problem at all, I assure you, my lady. Karbu is both strong and longsuffering, he will bear us twain for many miles yet before he need rest."

With that, he extended his hand to help her back up.

[Edited on 1/8/2010 by Sava-Tennoio]
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2010 10:03
When Naris saw Eodwyn reaching for Rûkh's hand he frowned. It had been many years since he had last seen her and now some stranger was stealing her away from him.

He moved closer to Rûkh"s horse. "No wait," he said, "we don't want your horse getting to tired, Rûkh, why doesn't Lady Eodwyn ride with me?"
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2010 11:21
He moved closer to Rûkh"s horse. "No wait," he said, "we don't want your horse getting to tired, Rûkh, why doesn't Lady Eodwyn ride with me?"

Eodwyn dropped her hand. Naris had a good point, and riding with Naris for the time being would give her time to catch up with her childhood friend.

"Naris is right, we should give your horse some rest from the extra weight no matter how strong your horse is." She patted Rukh's horses nose gently. She looked back at the two men.

"And, you both can drop the "lady" there is no need to be so formal amongst friends. Call me Eodwyn, for I am a friend." She smiled at both of them before she reached for Naris' hand and he pulled her up.

She made a pained face when her wounded leg hit the saddle, she had forgotten about the wound. She saw a flash of concern appear on Rukhs face.

"I'm fine Rukh, just for got about my wound. Are we all ready?" She adjusted her self more comfortably and wrapped her arms around Naris' waist.

"So Naris, tell me about you since last we parted?" she asked him as they began riding once again. She looked back at Rukh and tilted her head in confusion.

Was that dissappointment that flickered across his face? Before she could discern what she saw, it was gone.

[Edited on 1/8/2010 by OraedaDlynn]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2010 12:03
Something like fire leapt into Rûkh's eyes as Naris helped Eodwyn onto his horse. Rûkh watched, biting his lip to keep from speaking, as the woman wrapped her arms around her old friend.

Just as she had held onto him only moments before.

Rûkh caught the look she threw back at him and quickly wiped the disappointment from his face. He felt like growling as he rode behind them, watching their every move.

Finally he could it no longer.

He dug his heels into Karbu's glistening black sides and rode up beside Maerwyn.

"I will go ahead and scout the way. If there are any more orc bands, it would be well if we were aware of them before they were aware of us."

Without waiting for a reply or permission, he leaned over Karbu's neck and kicked him into a gallop. The stallion tore forward across the rolling hills, soon leaving the others behind.

((Figured maybe Rûkh can stumble upon Carandra's character first?))
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2010 04:56
Nimthir watched as the interaction between Rukh, Eodwyn and Naris became tense. Naris offered his horse, with the reason that Rukh's horse was over burdened. Eodwyn accepted, and the fire in Rukh's eyes was unmistakeable.

Ah, a love triangle. Nimthir had seen it before. Love was a troublesome thing, in dark times. When it was in this case, more specifically, a love triangle. Love was petty.... stupid. Nimthir wished never to get caught up in something so airy fairy.

She glanced over at Berior, sucking in her breath. Then she turned her head around as Rukh lept on his horse and trotted over beside her. His voice was angered and rushed.

"I will go ahead and scout the way. If there are any more orc bands, it would be well if we were aware of them before they were aware of us."

He galloped away without waiting for a response.

Ah, Love. Indeed, I wish not to endure it. Yet in her heart, there was a warning there. A warning that further times may bring it whether she like it or not.
Lastande_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2010 10:46
Rydda watched the interplay between Eodwyn, Rukh, and Naris, wide-eyed. She'd heard lots of stories where men got upset because someone else got the woman they liked, but hadn't really thought it happened in real life. She'd spent a lot of riding time watching them and Rukh clearly liked Eodwyn, even though Rydda hadn't heard him say anything. She glanced over at Nimthir and saw the slightly disgusted look on the Elf's face.

She thinks it's silly, too, Rydda thought with satisfaction before Rukh said something about scouting ahead and spurred his horse into a gallop.

Now that Rukh was gone, Rydda cast about fo someone else to watch. Her eyes fell on the strange woman they'd agreed to accept. She still looked frightened, especially after Rukh's behavior. Rydda rode beside her and smiled. She knew how it felt to be an utter stranger.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2010 05:12
Rûkh checked Karbu from his mad gallop when he topped a hill and saw the ruins that lay ahead. The skeleton of a people and place that used to be. Once a sad place, but now the grass and the bushes and the wild were overtaking it. Wrapping death in life.

Rûkh nudged his stallion into a jog, approaching the ruins.

It would be a good place for orcs to hide.

It would be a good place to calm himself.

Keeping alert, his hand resting on the orc sword at his hip, his dark eyes scanned the ruins as he wove between them. In the center stood a well - possibly the only whole structure in the ruins.

Rûkh approached the well - finding himself thirsty. Fresh water would cool his skin and slow his mind. How he wished he approached the sea and not this well. He should not have left.

He swung of Karbu's back with a fluid grace and approached the well. When he leaned over it to look in, he nearly cried out at the site that greeted him.

A young woman. Slender with dark hair and wide grey eyes that stared up at him full of fear. She clung desperately to the walls of the well. Rûkh's eyes flicked down to the blood dripping down her bare leg.

"Are you alright?" he asked after he calmed his racing heart.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2010 07:57
She watched as a rope was lowered. Whoever it was was shouting something down, but it was lost amongst the echos. She started to reach for it, and slipped. The water was icy cold, and she spluttered and gasped as much as from loosing her breath as from the shock of it, the rope was lowered further still and she grabbed a hold and was lifted fairly quickly out of the well.

She had hoped that she might’ve been able to face her captor with a wee bit of dignity, but alas. The light outside the well temporarily blinded her as an unseen set of hands hauled her out . The leg she had cut gave out and she landed with a thud. Her eyes finally adjusted and she looked up at the man that had found her. He would not have looked too out of place at Gondor with those dark eyes and hair. He seemed torn between concern, surprise, amusement, and still something else that she couldn’t detect. She started to stand, wobbled a wee bit and tried to hide it by leaning against the wall of the well, her crown of flowers lay forgotten at her feet where it had fallen in her rush to hide. She started to wring out her hair as she sought for words, shivering in the slight breeze.

“I-I-I’m Nilûphel...”

After that truly brilliant introduction, she didn’t know what else to say. “Please don’t hurt me” seemed a naive request- either he would or would not and her pleading would not sway him either way, and anything else would seem foolish at this point. Well, would anymore hurt? She felt foolish enough: she was away from home, sopping wet, shivering, had been found in a well, and there was no one that could really help her should she need it. On top of this, her leg ached and was probably still bleeding. She didn’t want to check.

She hugged herself in an effort to stop shivering

“Who are you?”

[Edited on 18/8/2010 by Carandra]
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2010 09:55
Rûkh stood staring at the shivering girl, his head tilted slightly to the side as he scanned her face. She was young. Pretty. Maybe a little scared, and definitely battered from her trip in the well.

"Nilûphel," he said, rolling the syllables on his tongue experimentally, "A pretty name. What were you doing in the well?"

He waited a moment for a response, but then his senses came to him. He tugged his cloak off and wrapped it around the child, noting how she flinched when he did so.

"Sit there in the sunshine," he murmured, "Until you dry out. Either you or I should bandage that leg, child."

Remembering her question, he added, "I am Rûkh, or at least that is what I am called. What I am is a wanderer. I was scouting the path ahead of my companions when I stumbled upon these ruins. You can be sure we will do you no harm."
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2010 12:20
The feeling of Eodwyn's arms around his waist distracted Naris for a second. When the question finally reached him he smiled and said, "After Amithil died I decided to wander for a while."

His voice drifted as he remembered his adventures in the wild and all the people he had met. It seemed that this one quest was being way more eventful than those years in the wilderness. "What about you? I bet your life wasn't that uneventful." Naris asked Eodwyn.
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2010 07:40
As they Rode on, Nimthir looked at Berior. He was still, statuesque, tall, sitting upright in his saddle. It had been too long since she had spoken to him, perhaps she should reconnect for a moment. After all it was her duty as a leader of this fellowship, it was NOTHING short of nessecary to keep in good connection with all the fellowship... Of course it is... Nimthir waved it off. It was important to talk to each and every one of them... at some point.

Her heart stopped for a moment as she rode over to him. He sat calmly in his saddle, watching her with amusement as her horse jogged over to his.

"Berior... how goes it? Are you well?" What foolish things to say, Nimthir! Foolish, foolish girl! she scolded herself internally.

She waited eagerly for a response, hoping he was not put off by her foolishness.

(OOC: Hey where did Berior go? Anyway seem him lately? He hasn't been on in a loooong time.)
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2010 08:37
She smiled thinly at the question
[i]What were you doing in the well?[i/]

"I was hiding. I heard someone coming and very few that have decent intentions come here seeing how close we are to the black lands." she paused for a moment before shrugging off his cloak
"and there is no need to get your cloak wet as well, though I thank you for it... if you'll but excuse me for a moment"

she rose as gracefully as she could and went to the crumbled ruins where she had hidden her bag. After retrieving it, she glanced around to make sure no one was watching and changed quickly into a dry dress; she then bandaged her leg, and on her way back out to... what was his name? Rûkh? she grabbed her flute out of her wet dress and before laying the dress out on some rocks to dry.

she approached him again and sat down, the flute now in her lap to give her hands something to do...

"you mentioned companions? what brings you and your companions out here? especially in these darkening times"
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2010 11:29
Rûkh pulled his cloak back on as the girl skittered away to change her clothes. He stood in the sunshine, waiting, his eyes on the horizon where the tiny dot approached. His companions.

Eodwyn.

And Naris.

He fought off the scowl on his face as the girl returned. He glanced at the flute in her fingers.

"you mentioned companions? what brings you and your companions out here? especially in these darkening times"

"Yes...they approach now. I cannot say what has brought each of them here, we, most of us, came from different places and for different purposes. It is mere chance, or perhaps the working of greater powers, that we have all happened upon each other...as I have happened upon you."

It was far more words than Rûkh liked to use and he fell silent soon after his explanation. The wind whispered through the trees and Rûkh settled down to sit in the grass and wait for his companions. His eyes slid half closed as he soaked in the warmth of the day.

"Do you play that instrument or merely hold it, miss?" he asked, eyes still closed, "It has been many months since I heard the flute's song, and to hear it again would be most welcome."
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2010 08:28
As Berior rode along, he noticed various glances from Nimthir, as if she was thinking deeply about something that had to do with him. He was a little embarrassed about it. He wasn't used to anyone paying such close attention about him. Did she care about him? Was she worried? He couldn't yet tell. Truthfully, these actions she took made him increasingly worried about her, as well.

Soon enough, Nimthir rode over to Berior.

"Berior... how goes it? Are you well?"

Berior was a bit taken back by this. He was getting very nervous and he did not even know the reason why. He laughed lightly and scratched his head.

"L-Lady Nimthir!" he said, stuttering by accident. "You shouldn't worry about me. Your own condition is much more important than mine! As long as you're safe, I'll be fine. I'll always be there to protect you from harm. I promised to, remember? And I do not take promises lightly."

[Edited on 7/8/2010 by Passepartout]
OraedaDlynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2010 11:42
"What about you? I bet your life wasn't that uneventful." Naris asked Eodwyn.

Eodwyn watched as Rukh rode away from the group feeling a little sad. She snapped back to attention when Naris asked her the question.

"Oh my life has been as eventful as any other Dunedain, after my brother died I left Evendim. I guess i felt like there was nothing left there for me." Eodwyn sat there for a moment the grief from the memories of her life in Evendim resurfacing.

"My travels led me to many places. Forochel, Lothlorien, Rohan, Rhovanion, and the Lonely Moutain. Then more recently I was in Fangorn where my horse Dolrean abandoned me and I wandered until I came upon Rukh, who was so kind to let me join him." She put a little more enthusiasm in the last part.

Eodwyn smiled at the memory of Rukh helping her, he didn't have to especially in these dark times; but he did.

"Surely your travels weren't so boring. Tell me where you have been before you met up with Lady Nimthir and Lord Berior."
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2010 01:42
She smiled a little... and lifted the flute to her lips as an answer. She started to play again, it was a different song than before: this one was a storm; waves crashing down and a guiding light in the distance. She didn't where she was in this song: was this man and his companions the waves or the lighthouse?

She glanced at his face when he thought she wasn't looking: there was affection written all over it... that, and something similar to anger.

She could hear them getting closer and closer, she started to get nervous again
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email