Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post Questions / feedback relating to the new site? Post them here!
on: March 05, 2012 10:06
My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks… Oh dear, I got off all wrong there. I mean of course:

My dear newbies and fellow CoE-members! As you all have noticed, we have switched to a new site on our 10th anniversary, the 6th of March. This is due to the many changes our community has seen and the advancement in software over the years.

I've been working hard to make the transition as seamless as possible. A fresh lay-out and look have been designed, some concepts have been reconsidered and updated, etc. As with all changes in life, things might be unfamiliar or hard to find at first. But please come and take a look around to familiarize yourself with the differences.

It is possible some links and referrals won’t work anymore. Some sections of the site you used to know might be gone or will have a few minor bugs. Please provide us with feedback in this thread, as well as any questions you might have about the new site. We’ll do our best to sort things out as soon as possible and provide you with clear answers.

Please do not start any new threads in this forum or elsewhere to post feedback / questions relating to the new site. It will clutter up the forums and make it harder to provide quick replies.

We hope you will all enjoy our new site and that you’ll be looking forward with us to the release of The Hobbit movies!

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the _________ section of the site? Some sections of the site could not be carried over to this new platform, although most of the old site is here. Some sections that will be coming back eventually are Comics, Captions, and eCards. Some that will not be coming back are the Pick Your Path and Clubs section. We'll be looking into adding quizzes, personality tests, and games at some point, as well.

Why do I have so many Private Messages in my box? This issue should now be resolved.

Where are the language exercises? And why are the links in that section all wrong? The language staff has some clean up work to do in their area. It should be all tidied up in the next few days.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Rivka
Send Message
Post Re: Questions / feedback relating to the new site? Post them here!
on: March 06, 2012 02:06
test
kellymulder
CoE Volunteer & Seagull of Ulmo
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 02:22
I like the new look of the site though I miss my Argonath theme, will it come back?

Also, will we have the emoticons we had on the other site? We had some awesome ones over there.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 02:26
I really miss the different themes too. I was using the Argonath theme kellymulder. =)

One problem I've noticed right away is when I'm viewing something such as the forum and I want to go to the Humor Section or the Last Homely House the pop-out menu is hidden beneath whatever I'm currently viewing, so I have to just click it instead of selecting an option.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 02:33
One thing I noticed... on threads, there are no page number to click when viewing links. Like, you have to click the actual thread first, which then takes you to page 1, then you have to click the last page number. Will that be fixed? or is there another way to do that now? Can be really annoying for threads with lots of pages.

and, no more signatures?? Obviously figured that out.

So are avatar dimensions and signature regulations the same?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 03:02
The signature area is a bit smaller than it used to so you may have to make some adjustments but the avatars are bigger 80x80 instead of 60x60. The avatars you had there are enlarged on this site that is why some may seem a bit fuzzy.
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 03:06
We will be implementing new themes eventually, no worries I'm hoping to find someone who knows CSS and is good with graphics who can churn them out regularly.

As far as the forums go, I'll be adding features as we go along. The forum as it exists now is fairly simple, but you all have the very good luck of having a head site admin who works full time as a programmer, so I will work to make it closer to what we used to have

One problem I've noticed right away is when I'm viewing something such as the forum and I want to go to the Humor Section or the Last Homely House the pop-out menu is hidden beneath whatever I'm currently viewing, so I have to just click it instead of selecting an option.

What browser are you using?
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 03:58
Happy birthday COE! Congratulations on a smooth switch to the new system.
First impressions:
Good-
Easy to read
LH menu panel is proper links not images, so I can open link in new tab/window (fewer server calls too)
Live update? At least on 'Members online' page

Problems-
Slow jerky scrolling due to stationary background image needing display redraw
I've turned off image loading to cure this. Maybe a different theme for slowbies
No page numbers as Erucendine says. (More server calls)
Wider page but I'm on medium res due to poor sight. Time for a bigger monitor.

I'm using Firefox and have no problem with menu popups like star. Wish I knew CSS so I could help you out.

P.S. Is it my imagination or has the number of members suddenly doubled?

Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 04:49
I don't know if this is just me or not, but my chat bar now lists everyone who is online now instead of friends only. I also can't expand it at all to open any chats. The options tab doesn't open either so I am unsure if this is just default settings that I can't change or if it's how it was made to be.

EDIT

Seems to have fixed itself, so disregard my post! Though it still is showing everyone online instead of just my friends, is there a way to fix this?
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 05:23
I'm leaning against implementing the friends list, just because we never have enough members on the site to make it worth it. Today is probably the busiest we'll be for the foreseeable future, and we still have less than 20 members in the chat list.
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 06:03
I'm not sure I like it, but I'm never much of a one for change and I'm sure I'll get used to it. A couple of specific things, though:

- Have the reviews on fanfiction been lost? I went to my fanfics and there's no longer a link to see the reviews. Also, the formatting, especially some of the characters such as speech marks, appears to have been chewed up and spat out. Is this a temporary glitch?
- Do we still have (or will we have) interactive Elvish lessons and user points?

The new design does look very sleek, though, I will admit, and you must have worked very hard on this, so props for that, and thank you for putting in so much effort
--- All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 06:07
I like some things but dislike others.

I do like change as there were some things about the old forum/website that would frustrate me. Like, if you accidentally missed the forum button and clicked the blank space you'd be brought to the front page or silly things like that. However, I feel like if you click on a forum thread it should link you to the first unread post. . . some forums I use allow this but I'm unsure about this one.

Anyway, I'm pleased with where it is so far and I understand that there's still things that need to be changed. I'm quite pleased to see an update too~
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 06:11
- Have the reviews on fanfiction been lost? I went to my fanfics and there's no longer a link to see the reviews. Also, the formatting, especially some of the characters such as speech marks, appears to have been chewed up and spat out. Is this a temporary glitch?
- Do we still have (or will we have) interactive Elvish lessons and user points?

The reviews are no longer on a separate page, but are comments underneath each story. Because reviews in the past weren't attached to individual chapters, I had to put all reviews on the first chapter, but in the future, reviewers can leave a review on the appropriate chapter.

As far as the weird characters in fanfiction, I did the best I could, but carrying over the special characters was...difficult. I may look into "hiring" someone to go through the stories and clean them up...

As mentioned in the FAQ in the first post of this thread: Where are the language exercises? And why are the links in that section all wrong? The language staff has some clean up work to do in their area. It should be all tidied up in the next few days.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 06:45
Rivka ~ Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's been ten years!

The new site looks great! What a lot of work! I wish I knew CSS - I'd love to do some themes. I miss mine.

Several things I've noticed are different/missing:

Are the CoE Member websites gone for good?
There doesn't seem to be a preview for a post?
Can you delete a message or just edit it?
There is no search function for the RPG characters.
I miss my title! I worked hard for that!
Although I have subscribed to receive emails when someone posts in the Yavanna Forums, I'm not getting email about those new posts. Is that something to look forward to?
Oh, and I just noticed, will we be able to change the time to our local time?

I'm so glad you've kept the site going! Thank you!
Illiana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 07:29
Ok,um,I have a question.For some reason,the CoE chatbar won't let me look at my friends,and,before the site change,I only had one friend and it would only show when she came on,but now it shows when most of the members of CoE are on.I was just wondering,how do I manage my friends on the site?
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 07:34
I love the new look, the site has definitely evolved now, though I'm a bit sad for the loss of custom themes I made. But I think that what you did is definitely worth it, so I won't be complaining too much.

I found that the link to the language dictionaries acts a bit funky though, not taking directly to it's front page, but by clicking front page link it works right again.

I also noticed that I could still see my old "homepage" profile on here, but I'm not able to edit it. Will there be new tools or will homepages eventually get removed? I think I wouldn't care much if mine is gone, though, because I'm building up my own site now.
cip_rochnaug
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 07:39
I'm not usually one for change, but I can grow to like this One thing though: Where have the captions gone? I used to love browsing through the pictures to see what silly things people thought fitted. Has that been removed entirely or am I just being blind and missing it?
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 07:50
Elainiwen: I may be able to bring back custom themes eventually. Member homepages are gone for good (at least editing them is), but the actual sites will continue to sit there for posterity. You're likely noticing a weird redirect with the dictionaries; I've put some redirect in place so that old links will point to the new place on the site.

cip_rochnaug: There are a handful of site sections that currently aren't implemented, but that will be coming back eventually, namely captions, comics, and eCards. I didn't deem them absolutely necessary to launch with, and all 3 of them will take a bit of programming, so I'm going to put them off for a few weeks.
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 07:57
Are the CoE Member websites gone for good?
There doesn't seem to be a preview for a post?
Can you delete a message or just edit it?
There is no search function for the RPG characters.
I miss my title! I worked hard for that!
Although I have subscribed to receive emails when someone posts in the Yavanna Forums, I'm not getting email about those new posts. Is that something to look forward to?
Oh, and I just noticed, will we be able to change the time to our local time?

- yes, Member websites are gone for good. The actual sites are still there, but there will be no editing of them.
- preview is coming.
- just editing of posts
- I'll add search for my RPG chars to my to do list
- don't worry, titles will be coming back soon
- you will need to resubscribe to any posts (link at the top of each thread)
- I've reset the site time to the correct time; user specific time zones is low on my to-do list

Ok,um,I have a question.For some reason,the CoE chatbar won't let me look at my friends,and,before the site change,I only had one friend and it would only show when she came on,but now it shows when most of the members of CoE are on.I was just wondering,how do I manage my friends on the site?

No more friends list on the chat bar. We don't have enough active members to make the effort worth it.
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 07:58
Actually what I see the dictionary link pointing to in elvish tools page is this...
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 08:00
Oh, yeah, the links in the Languages area need to be updated The staff will be working on that over the next couple of days.
LadyBlueWater
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 08:06
As a biologist I understand all evolves - it takes time to come to a full gene pool of function. Do it, enjoy the change it is the way we survive. All of it takes time. Do what you need to do to make it happen and for all to go forward. I would hate to log on to find you are extinct. To much has passed in my many long years on this shore.

Highest Regards,

Lady Blue Water of the house of the Stewards

LadyBlueWater
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 08:11
As a biologist I understand all evolves - it takes time to come to a full gene pool of function. Do it, enjoy the change it is the way we survive. All of it takes time. Do what you need to do to make it happen and for all to go forward. I would hate to log on to find you are extinct. To much has passed in my many long years on this shore.

Highest Regards,

Lady Blue Water of the house of the Stewards

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 08:12
Very strange... The timing is off in our realm... I posted in our TPAM thread after Jaime and it posted it above her and above my prior post. I'm in PST and she's in CST.

EDIT: I just posted this at 6:10 my time and it's above posts from earlier today...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 08:24
Ok, why is there duplicates of posts and why are they all out of order?? :S
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 09:25
Great site! Willl the avatar pool be back though? I thought it was awesome people could just upload their avatars there and you could just pick one without the hassle of constantly uploading one. Also will themes be made available soon? my only complaint about the new background is its kinda bright.
Nienna_green
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 09:51
Happy Anniversary COE:disco:!!
How do I restore my signature and CoE theme? Just curious. LOve the new COE layout and setup.
ImageImage A carë tittë nati alta melmen
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 10:09
Okay, apologies for posts being out of order. I think I have fixed it, but no promises. It'll all be fine by tomorrow no matter what anyway.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 10:25
My problem must have been with Internet Explorer. I'm using FireFox right now and it works fine. Yet another reason to not use IE, I've had so many problems with it.
I also miss the smileys we used to have.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 08:42
Thank you, Rivka! So much to look forward to.

I use IE, starofdunedain, and the popout menu pops properly. Also, the smiley list, which doesn't include all the old ones, appears in the Regular Reply, not in the Quick Reply. But they do work if you use the code.
Greenwood_Gal
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2012 10:16
So far I have encountered no problems. I like the simple look of the layout. Much easier to see a glance the level of activity and the size of the sigs is no longer annoying.
Naruvir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2012 01:44
I want to say...

THANK YOU!

... for updating the website. I never liked the previous design and the appalling readability was a constant challenge for me. This new design is so, so much better in every way!
ElfDict.com - an extensive dictionary dedicated to the languages of Middle Earth!
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2012 03:59
for some reason I can't see the chat bar when i try to type
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2012 04:13
but that's only with google chrome (strange)
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Illiana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2012 05:26
For some reason,when I try to click on my "Online" button on the Chatbar,it won't show up,so I can't chat or manage my friends.I was just wondering what's going on with it.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email