Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2324252627Last >>
Author Topic:
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Welcome Plya and Cenor! Glad to have you on board.
Don't hesitate to add some of your own fanfic, Cenor, we're always happy to get new uploads from members.
Enjoy your memberships!
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Kimley
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: NEWBIES INTRODUCTION THREAD - Please introduce yourself here!!
on: May 14, 2014 07:20
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE): Eli or Kimley, either works
Country/State: US The Northwest area
How did you find CoE?: Looking to learn Quenya
What are your hobbies and interests?: Reading books, playing video games, violin, talking with my friends etc.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies?: I have seen all the movies and read The Hobbit but I still need to read the actual LOTR books
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE?: Not any questions but I've never been a member of a forum before so just in general I have no idea what I'm doing.

So yeah basically I wanted to learn Tolkien Elvish so I came here. I don't know if I'll ever actually accomplish that goal but I'll probably stay here either way because this seems like a really nice place.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Kimley, have fun here. Good luck with Quenya, plenty of people in the Language forum to help you.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Kimley and welcome to CoE! I can only advise you to try and read the LotR books, they add so much more to the whole story .
For an idea about what you can do on our site and forums, have a look at the newbies introduction guide here in the newbies forum. It will give you a brief overview of the most important things. The rest is up to you to discover! But don't hesitate to ask me questions if you should have any. I'll be happy to help.
Good luck with the Elvish lessons, and please do stick around, we've got much more to offer .
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Plya, Cenor and Kimley. Welcome to CoE
johnson4466
Council Member
Send Message
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE: Hannah
Where are you from (country/state)? USA,California
How did you find CoE?:On my own, I was looking for other fanfic sites and this popped up.
What are your hobbies and interests?:reading, writing, drawing, and acting.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies?:Sadly I have not read the books, too hard for me, but I have seen all the movies.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE?: Nope but thank you

[Edited on 05/15/2014 by johnson4466]
The elves began it, waking up the trees, teaching them to speak...
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi Hannah, welcome to CoE! When you're in the mood for it, give the books a try . The Hobbit is very light reading, and the LotR isn't too difficult either. If you don't like them once you've read them, you can come back and blame me. If not... come back and thank me .
Enjoy the site!
johnson4466
Council Member
Send Message
Haha thank you very much for that, I will try to read The Hobbit To you which is better, Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit??
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Personally I prefer the LotR, because it's much less of a 'children's tale' (the Hobbit was initially meant as somewhat of a fairy tale, even though it's a perfectly good adult read). It's also a lot bigger and goes into more detail. Let's say that the Hobbit is a good appetizer, while the LotR is the book that will drag you into it for a long time. For more information and opinions about it, you could check out the Books Forum, where I'm sure this has been discussed before.
johnson4466
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, another question, which book should I start out on??
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome newbies! Hey Hannah, I read the Hobbit first (because it happens before the LotR), but you don't have to start with it (I haven't actually read the LotR books yet, but I'm getting there).
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
johnson4466
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you but which one is easier to read though?
tarcolan
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Hannah. 'The Hobbit' was an idle tale that Tolkien made up for his own amusement. He had no intention for it to be part of the greater legendarium he had been working on for years, but inevitably bits of that world found their way into the story. Then he was asked to write a sequel to it. In the words of the old joke, he would not have started from there. But he managed to find a link between the ancient tales and the story of The Hobbit. The Ring! I started at the age of ten with the Hobbit, then moved on to LOTR, and boy! what a shock it was. So I would suggest starting with The Hobbit then LOTR then the Silmarillion. Just to get you started. Don't worry though, there are some here who haven't read any of the books (you know who you are). Persevere with the knowledge that The Hobbit is supposed to be a silly children's book but LOTR is a collection of ancient texts, some from the hobbits' own archives, some from the Elves and some from Gondorian archives. In other words don't be put off by the changes in style.

Oh yeah, have fun here. If you want to know anything check out the lovely encyclopedia, the articles and of course ask lots of questions in the forums.
Clayton McDaniel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Newbie Introduction
on: May 16, 2014 01:55
Hello All, Peace be with you! I'm Clayton, I'm 54, and I first read The Hobbit in 1975 when my older sister handed it to me and said "Here- you'll like this, it's got elves and $@%# in it." I've been a Tolkien/LoTR fan since then, and was both thrilled and dubious when the movies were announced. I have not seen either of The Hobbit movies but I do have the 1977 cartoon on VHS- one of my first movie purchases- and I thought PJ did a great job on LoTR, and I just finished reading The Silmarillion after several attempts (over the last 23 years!) I came to CoE while looking for images of the various Elvish alphabets and joined immediately. Looking forward to interaction with the group and glad to have found you!
It's a dangerous business, Frodo Baggins, going out your front door...
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Clayton, welcome to our Council of Elrond. You've come to the right place for info on Elvish, and much much more!
If you're interested and when you want to find a quiet little place from time to time, away from all those youthful fangirls and -boys, head over to the Prancing Pony Inn forum, where they have a thread for members over forty. But don't forget to check out our other forums, we've got great discussions going on about the books, movies, etc. Enjoy!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Hannah and Clayton. Welcome both of you to CoE.
Hannah, I also recommend that you read the Books start of with The Hobbit and go on from there.

Clayton congratulations on finally reading the Silmarillion. I hope that you enjoyed it.
Clayton McDaniel
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Lord Sauron, I did enjoy The Silmarillion and am recommending it to anyone who will listen. Prancing Pony Forum- duly noted!
It's a dangerous business, Frodo Baggins, going out your front door...
tarcolan
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Clayton, get stuck in and enjoy yourself. Don't worry too much about not having seen 'The Hobbit', it's not as good as the LOTR film, though I say it as shouldn't you might think, being Movie Mod.
dreamflower02
Council Member
Send Message
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE): Dreamflower
Where are you from (country/state)? I'm from the Gulf Coast (grew up in south Alabama and north Florida, and lived 30 years on the Mississippi coast. But I am currently dwelling in Oklahoma.
How did you find CoE? It was recommended to me by one of your members, Noleme.
What are your hobbies and interests? Aside from Middle-earth, I enjoy crafts of all kinds, particularly calligraphy and most kinds of needlework.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Oh yes! I read TH and LotR in 1967 when I was 15, and kept up the habit of reading it over and over the rest of my life. However, I did not find fanfiction until 2003, and began writing it in 2004.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? This seems a little more complicated than some archives I belong to, but so far I've not had any trouble navigating my way around.

I do have a question about posting stories: I have a lot of them. Is there a limit on how many stories I can post at one time? I don't want to overload things, and I did not notice that question in the FAQ.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in I there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello dreamflower02, welcome to CoE!

Always great to have people join based on word-of-mouth advertising . If you like handycrafting, then don't forget to check out our Last Homely House section, which has some great projects and tips to turn your home into Middle Earth.
Our site is big indeed, but it doesn't take too long to get the hang of it. You'll keep discovering new things in tiny nooks and crannies for years to come though . If you want some general guidelines, have a look at our newbie guide (here in the newbies forum). It will help you on your way.

The 'add your story' part of the fanfiction section provides an answer:
Please do not submit later chapters of your story until the preceding chapter gets published, and please do not submit more than two stories at a time.

This is mainly done to avoid an overload for the admin of that section I think (that would be nólemë). Perhaps it's best to send her a pm (private message) and check together what's the most efficient way of handling things.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome newbies! I hope y'all have an awesome time here!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome guys!!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
A warm welcome to our newbies, especially to dreamflower02! Image
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Carofeagle
Council Member
Send Message
Hello! My name on this site is Carofeagle (pronounce it however thy heart wishes, I'm not picky), and I'm glad to be a new member on this site. The administration has been wonderful, the other members kind, and I am enjoying my experience here. I have been a longtime Tolkien fan (although I admit that I have Middle-Earth books on my shelf that I have not read despite having had them in my clutches for several years GASP) and I love learning new things about his work. I hope to continue having a positive experience here and to be able to return the kindness that has been shown to me already. Thank you all!
Caroline Ervin
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Carofeagle, welcome to CoE! Many things to discover about Tolkien's works on our site, so we hope you'll stick around for a while . Enjoy!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello dreamflower02 and Carofeagle. Welcome to CoE
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Carofeagle! I'm glad you are enjoying yourself here! I'm always here if you want someone to talk to.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Kairosmith
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings everyone! I figured I should briefly introduce myself here before I go running around asking questions, so here goes!

Name: Kairosmith
Where are you from?: USA/Ohio and Michigan
How did you find CoE?: I was working on a research paper for my linguistics class about fictional languages, and I stumbled across this fine community. After the class, I decided that I wanted to stick with it and learn Sindarin!
What are your hobbies and interests?: Game design, digital painting, drawing, costuming, piano
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies?: Yes to everything!

Glad to be here!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Kairosmith, welcome to CoE! Enjoy your membership .
amythegypsy
Council Member
Send Message
Hello! My name is Amy, and I am 20 years old. I am a mother of one, and I live in Florida. I've been looking all over for a reliable resource to help me dive into Middle-earth, and the wiki's weren't exactly what I was looking for. After reading a fanfic, the author directed me to here. (Which, I'm glad she did. This is awesome!)

Some things that I enjoy are reading, writing, and Skyrim. I've seen the movies, (just recently, actually!) and am in the process of reading all of the books. With a little one, it really is hard to sit down and enjoy a novel these days. I've gotten pretty obsessed with Tolkien, so I don't think it will take me too long to get through the novels.

I'm very excited to get into this community here.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome amythegypsy . You've come to the right place if you want to completely lose yourself in Middle-Earth! We've got a big and friendly community, so I'm sure you'll feel right at home, under the hill . Some people might even have other but similar hobbies as yours (did you know that once I took an arrow in the knee ). Enjoy your membership!

[Edited on 05/28/2014 by gondolinian]
amythegypsy
Council Member
Send Message
I most certainly will! I already feel at home.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Kairosmith and amythegypsy. Welcome to CoE
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Kairosmith and amythegypsy! Great to have y'all here!
<< First2324252627Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email