Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2425262728Last >>
Author Topic:
Loreanna
Council Member
Send Message
Post NEWBIES INTRODUCTION THREAD - Please introduce yourself here!!
on: May 30, 2014 01:00

Greetings to all! My name is Loreanna,58, mother of two. Originally from southern Indiana, USA, I now live in Brazil, South America. My father used to read Tolkien along with other tales of medieval and even older times, so I grew up with elves, fairies, gnomes, dragons, and such. Result: avid follower of Tolkien and LOTR, and while looking for sites with similar interests, lucky me stumbled into you. Likes: good friends, books, music, food, crafts; peace, silence and misty woodsy mornings make my day. Pets: cats, bees, does, horses. Sports: archery (learning), hiking. Study languages and wish to learn Sindarin and Quenya as well. Anyone teaches Westron? I'm reserved by nature, and I'm touched by the warm welcome I've received, which I'll do my utter best to honor. Please excuse me now, as I still have much to learn in this wonderful place.

tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Loreanna. Thanks for the compliments, all thanks to the members of this unique phenomenon called CoE. Don't worry about the double post, it happens, it's not you. I would take issue with your conflation of Middle Earth with the Middle Ages but I can't be bothered. Have fun here.

P.S. Congratulations on being the first newbie in the new newbie thread. The ceremony will be held on Thursday.

[Edited on 05/31/2014 by tarcolan]
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Loreanna!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
NiennaTulcakelume
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone, my name is Jade. I'm 14 years old, and I live in Canada. I was searching for a way to learn Sindarin and Quenya, when I found this website. I was instantly in love with it, and made an account as quick as I could. I'm still learning the basics of this site, but I can't wait to just dive in and explore! Thanks for the warm welcome! Hope to make your acquaintance in the future!

MÍre, proud Council Member
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Jade! *waves hand*
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello and Welcome to CoE, Loreanna and NiennaTulcakelume
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Hello Loreanna and welcome to the Council of Elrond . I took care of the double posts for you, you seemed to have hit the 'post' button a few too many times . No problem, that's what we have moderators for .
For any questions and help concerning languages, I suggest you have a look over at the languages forum. You'll find many other students of Tolkiens languages there.

Have fun and enjoy your membership! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. I'll be happy to help.

PS: don't get confused about Tarcolan's 'PS'. You are not the first to post in this thread, you are in the good company of many other newbies .
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Jade! Great to have you here with us!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
The Halfling
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone! First of all: I hope that I posted this in the right place. I joined the Council about five minutes ago, so im still very new.
My name is Rachel, Im 18, and Im a life-long Tolkien lover. I was very young when my Tolkien-loving mom first read me The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and when the great story ended with the Gray Havens, my small heart was officially stolen. But somehow, I was never satisfied with the information found in The Hobbit and LOTR. I spent all of gradeschool and my freshman year of college writting and studying Tolkien's life and the world he created. So while other kids my age say they grew up with Harry Potter, I can heartily say that I grew up with hobbits, elves, and kings.
i first discovered this site last semester when I was researching for my essay on the influence of Beowulf on Tolkien's writting. After doing some poking around I found my geeky heart leaping for joy at finding others with my passion for Tolkien!!! Anyways, the semester finally let up and Im excited to say Ive been able to join! I can't wait to see what is in store for me here! Thank you for making this possible!
"Living by faith includes the call to something greater than cowardly self preservation." ~JRR Tolkien
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Glad to have you Rachel.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings newbies!! I hope all you lovely peoples have an incredibly delightful time here with us!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Loreanna
Council Member
Send Message
Hello to all. Can't believe it! Finally learned how to post a reply.
Gondolinian, many thanks. Eagerness takes its toll. Three times? What a dummy. I'm new at this. I'm learning... I'm learning...
Tarcolan, when and should time permit, I'd like the tips about avoiding conflation, although I do keep things quite separate. Let's hope this time I got it right. So long for now.
The Halfling
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you for your kind greetings! I just have a quick question and i wasn't sure where else to post it.

Why isn't there very much information on the Hobbit? I understand that this is a LOTR site but there is lots of information about Middle Earth here that did not just come from LOTR, but from Tolkien's other works. And maybe its silly but I do think that The Hobbit (both book and films) deserve to be incorporated on this great site. In many ways, the Hobbit was the beginning of all this. And the films deserve to be credited too. An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug both have their flaws, but so do the LOTR Trilogy films.

I felt compelled to say this because the Hobbit holds a very special place in my heart, and I know that there must be others who feel the same way. Please excuse me if this out of turn or if I posted this in the wrong place.
"Living by faith includes the call to something greater than cowardly self preservation." ~JRR Tolkien
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Rachel! I'm not really sure where you should post this, but I know this isn't the right place (but that's fine). It's great to have you here with us!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Rachel, welcome to CoE .

Your question isn't necessarily in the wrong place, since it's a question all newbies might have (even some older members). The 'introduction thread' is perhaps not the best place, but it's a valid question for the newbies forum, so I'll keep it here.
There is quite a bit of information concerning the Hobbit on our site. For instance the book club has been reading the Hobbit lately, so there are several threads there discussing the books. In our Encyclopedia and in Elrond's library there are also many other hobbit related articles. The movies and music forum have several discussions about the recent movies, etc. But it's true that the movies aren't that 'visible' on the site (for instance no separate multimedia section on them). This is mainly due to our current workload. The site has changed software a while back, and we're still weeding out some technical issues. These are taking us more time than we'd like, but until we solve these we can't move on with incorporating more visual elements of the Hobbit movies. We're well aware of the need but for the moment we have to make do with what we have. Luckily our community helps out in bringing the movies to the site through all the interesting discussions in the forums . So don't hesitate to participate in them. But we've not completely ignored the Hobbit, as all our content proves .

No worries Loreanna, everybody had to take their first steps into the world of forums and online communities. As I said, that's what moderators are for, easing the transition, as it were . I myself started doing that on this very site, years ago. So don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions / problems getting around the site .
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all! I am elven_fencer, but you can call me fencer, if you want.

Yes, I do actually fence, I started in September 2013.

I am also a homeschooler, and have been my whole life.

My dad read The Hobbit to my brother and I when I was about eight or nine, and said that maybe when we were older, we could read LotR. I was twelve when my dad asked, "Why don't you try The Lord of the Rings?" Since then, I have read LotR/Hobbit eight times, read the Silmarillion three or four times, the Unfinished Tales once(Currently re-reading), The Children of Hurin once, and a few selections from The History of Middle Earth.

[Edited on 06/05/2014 by elven_fencer]
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Greeting Fencer have fun here.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks Cenor! I intend to!
ImageImage
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Welcome elven_fencer, to the Council of Elrond . Enjoy your membership!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello The Halfling and elven_fencer. Welcome to CoE.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you All for the welcome!
ImageImage
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Fencer! Great to have you here!
tathiel_of_lindon
Council Member
Send Message
Mae Govannen! Im winya ar' Ú-bedin sai' edhellen. I'd be very grateful if anyone would want to be my Sindarin study buddy!! (My grammar is probably but that sort of illustrates my point anyway so meh. Anyway I am an avid reader of Tolkien's works and I am thrilled to find this whole community of Lotr geeks like myself!! I've read Lotr books, hobbit, silmarillion, children of húrin and have just started the adventures of Tom bombadill. I started reading his books since I was 9 or 10 ish and watched them when I was 12. Basically I'd love to get to know everyone here!!!! My username is because I find Lindon kinda cool and tathiel is apparently my elf name! If someone asked me my favourite character it's gonna be Aragorn but Eowyn, Beren, Legolas, kili, merry, pippin bilbo and Sam are close behind So Novaer everyone!

PS: Oops forgot gollum

[Edited on 06/10/2014 by gondolinian]
"One does not simply walk into Mordor"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Loreanna, The Halfling, Fencer, and tathiel_of_lindon! I hope y'all have a great time here!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Loreanna
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Mareth. Really great to be here, but a little lost on where to go now? I'm sure we could all use some suggestions. Me, I'm looking for news from Lorien.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello tathiel.
gwihbistoen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Introduction
on: June 09, 2014 08:24
Hello. My name is Gibson. I was on this site a few months ago, but things happened, and I'm back now.
I don't think I ever entered the forums then, but I'm anxious to now. I've always wanted to make friends within this particular circle.
I'm very excited about the language part of the site, and I may even try my hand at the RP section as well.
Other information: I am 17, a pagan, an American, and a history addict.
Gibson
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello tathiel_of_lindon and gwihbistoen. Welcome to CoE.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello tathiel_of_lindon and gwihbistoen, welcome to CoE!

Tathiel, for a Sindarin Study buddy you should hop over to the Elvish forums, where they have a specific thread for that. Many people on our site study Elvish so you'll be in good company .

Loreanna, for more tips about what to do next, have a look at our newbie guide (you'll find it on top in this newbie forum)! Don't hesitate to contact me if there's any questions left after that .

Enjoy your memberships!

Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome everyone! I hope you all enjoy it here!

The games forum is always a good place to start! They're fun and easy and you get to meet lots of people
Image Image
tathiel_of_lindon
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks everyone! I will look forward to using this site!
"One does not simply walk into Mordor"
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome newbies! Great to have y'all here with us!
jesssydear
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone!
My name is Jessy. I'm 19, turning 20 in August I live in a small town in Florida.
I was first introduced to LOTR as a little kid when my aunt had me watch all the movies with her. I was instantly drawn to them and fell in love! I bought all of the books, including The Hobbit, and movies for my own collection. I had always thought it would be cool to know Elvish along with the culture behind it and had recently began researching Tolkien which led me to this site! To see so many others who share the same interest and love Tolkien as much as I is unbelievable. I am excited to be a member Thank you for allowing me to join. I will do my best to honor this amazing treasure.
I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Farewell,
Jessy
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello newbies! Have fun here. This is the best site to learn elvish Jessy.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello jesssydear, welcome to the site . If you want to learn Elvish, you've come to the right place! Good luck with the lessons and have fun.
<< First2425262728Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email