Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First3334353637Last >>
Author Topic:
Heruohtar
Council Member
Send Message
Hello! I'm Marcus. Loved the Lord of the Rings ever since the first film was released, shortly after which I started reading the books, borrowed from my primary school library... Recently have got back into things in a big way... Wanted to run a tabletop RPG set in Middle Earth... But none of the systems grabbed me, so made up my own, starting using it next month. Whilst looking for players, happened to run into another big fan, who brought back my desire to learn Quenya, to the point that now I'm starting looking into it, as she used to be fairly fluent herself...

But yeah. Hi.
"Annoying Galadriel... Is kind of a bad idea... Think placing your undercarriage into the mouth of a sleeping honey badger before kicking it, hard." - Myself, trying to describe the badassery that is the Lady of Lórien to a newbie to Tolkien's works.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings Heruohtar! Have fun!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Hi Marcus, welcome on board. You've come to the right place for learning Elvish. Have fun playing that tabletop RPG! Not sure what you based your rules on, but there's some interesting systems out there, some that can very easily be adapted.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Heruohtar
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for the welcome, people.

Of the official LOTR systems... I had various problems with each. The system I've come up with is based on the d100 system used by the Warhammer 40K rpg games, with tweaks for the combat to make it an opposed roll system, which I think has a closer feel to actual combat... You roll your skill and bonuses against your opponents, and the difference, if you succeed, is how well you do. If there's interest, I may write it up and post it on here.
"Annoying Galadriel... Is kind of a bad idea... Think placing your undercarriage into the mouth of a sleeping honey badger before kicking it, hard." - Myself, trying to describe the badassery that is the Lady of Lórien to a newbie to Tolkien's works.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Heruohtar (Marcus)! So glad to have you here with us!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
TroisLions
Council Member
Send Message
Name: TroisLions
Where are you from: Canada
How did you find CoE?: I wanted to learn Elvish, I found CoE, it looked cool, so I signed up!
What are your hobbies and interests?: I'm obviously a fan of the Tolkien universe, but I'm also interested in Doctor Who, Sherlock, the sciences (computer science, chemistry, physics, and astronomy mainly), politics, electronic music and soccer/football!!!
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies?: I don't read as much as I used to, but the Tolkien book have started to get me back into the habit. I'm currently reading the Hobbit, and I have seen all the movies to date (with the exception of the latest Hobbit movie).
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE?: Not as of yet.

[Edited on 12/16/2014 by TroisLions]
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome Troislions, glad to have you on board. Enjoy the site!

Heruohtar, it's a conversation best moved to another thread or pm, but as a final word on it here, I'd suggest having a look at the Song of Blades and Heroes rulebooks. Much lighter than 40K (if that's what you're going for of course) and extremely diverse in terms of possible uses/themes.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome TroisLions! So glad to have you here with us!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Name: Itarilde Sirfalas (Emily)
Where are you from: England
How did you find CoE?: I wanted to learn Elvish, I found CoE, it actually seemed really intriguing, so here I am!
What are your hobbies and interests?: Well, I've been a fan of Tolkien since I was very young, and have been ever since! I also love many other fantasy novels, Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes... but aside from television, I just love reading reading reading... all the time! I'm also a student of Radiography at Leeds University.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies?: Yes to all of the above I must have read LotR at least 5 times (not a lot, but I do read so many other books!) I'm just waiting to get started on the Children of Hurin
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE?: Not yet. I'm beginning to get the hang of it
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Welcome Itarilde Sirfalas, to CoE! You've come to the right place to learn Elvish. Enjoy the courses and the site .
Cadrieldur
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings! My name is Cadrieldur, I am 14 years of age, and I am from Canada. Aside from my interest in the Tolkien universe, I am the inquisitive, science-y type, and have a passion for football/soccer. I've seen all the LoTR movies and every Hobbit film (with the exception of the latest), and—though I do not read as much as I used to—have started to read The Hobbit, and (if I get through that) will read LoTR and perhaps the Silmarillion!

Bottom-line: it's great to be here!

[Edited on 12/17/2014 by Cadrieldur]
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi Cadrieldur, welcome to CoE! Glad to have you with us. Enjoy!
Condall
Council Member
Send Message
Name: Condall. If I make some friends on here I don't mind going by a first name basis with them though.
Where are you from (country/state)? New Mexico, USA
How did you find CoE? Had an account here 10 years ago. Lifelong Tolkien fan, to the point of it being rather creepy. Rediscovered this place again not long ago.
What are your hobbies and interests? Outdoors, sports, spirits, and obviously Tolkien
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Many times
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? Not at the moment
"No goodbye lasts forever" - Anonymous
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Welcome Condall, to our site and forums . Always glad to see older members return. I'll have our accounts admin contact you in regard to that old account.
Enjoy!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome everyone! So glad to see so many new members! I hope y'all have an awesome time here with us!
Condall
Council Member
Send Message
It was definitely surreal coming back to this place. Most forums are not usually so durable but I'm glad this place has withstood the test of time. Crazy to think that when I first found this place, it was over a decade ago. It's insane how time flies.
"No goodbye lasts forever" - Anonymous
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome newbies, and welcome back returning members! Good to have all of you. Hope you guys have fun here!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Wonderlandkittykat
Council Member
Send Message
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE): My elvish name is Maethoriel or you can call me Kelly either is fine
Where are you from (country/state)? Ireland
How did you find CoE? I was looking up how to write and translate my name in elvish and came across this site. I didnt realise you could actually learn the language so I signed up straight away
What are your hobbies and interests? Reading, drawing and playing basketball
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Yes I have read and seen LotR & The Hobbit many times. I have not read any of Tolkien's other works but I would like too
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? Um not right now I'm sure once I start learning elvish I will have many

[Edited on 12/21/2014 by Wonderlandkittykat]
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Kelly! So glad to have you here with us!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Wonderlandkittykat (very nice name!), welcome to CoE.
I can only recommend Tolkien's other works, they're great. Should you have questions about Elvish, don't hesitate to check out/post in the Language Forum.
AppleLily55
Council Member
Send Message
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE): Call me Apple
Where are you from (country/state)? United States

How did you find CoE? I can't remember now…I joined the site about 11 years ago…I think that was back when I wanted to learn some Elvish and my Google search probably lead me here. I have, however, been on an 8 year hiatus, I only just re-joined, but with a new username…I couldn't remember my old one and I no longer use the email I signed up with before!

What are your hobbies and interests? Embroidery, baking, reading, and traveling (when the money is available to do so!)

Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? I have read and seen them all. I only started reading them after I saw FOTR in theaters. Back then I was naive and had no clue that they were based on books! Lucky for me I figured that out quick. The rest is history. 13 years of Tolkien fandom, and still going strong!

Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? Not at all. The site looks different, but honestly everything I loved before is still here. You can usually find me browsing the fan art galleries and the humor section. Also, I just noticed the recipes section, and I cannot tell you how excited I am about that!

It's good to be back!
"Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!"
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome AppleLily55. Welcome on board of this crazy fan bunch!
I'll have our accounts admin take a look at your old account, she might be able to track it down (we only allow one account per member).
The site is different because we changed to a new software a few years ago. Still trying to weed out the small bugs crawling around it here and there . But the people have stayed and our content as well!
Enjoy baking up some of those recipes .
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome back Apple! So glad to have you here again.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Warm welcomes to everybody!! Hope to see you all around the site!
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
cujoe
Council Member
Send Message
Post intro
on: December 23, 2014 05:24
hi every im kyle im 25 I first got into everything from lord of the rings to the elder scrolls while in okinawa japan had alot of free time. i realy want to learn sindarin and later quenya the language amazes me. also im in college for chemical engineering and in the U.S.M.C for 3 years 2 months.i like to build computers, anything mechanic related i love the outdoors i shoot archery alot. been married for 2 year 4 months. hopefully i can learn some stuff from everyone im very friendly and easy to get along with
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hello and welcome all Newbies to CoE
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello cujoe, welcome to CoE. Thanks for introducing yourself. Have fun on the site!
Yavanna93
Council Member
Send Message
Hey y'all!

My name is Cat, I'm 21 and hail from the U.S. of A. I had been a part of CoE MANY many moons ago. I think I had joined right after my 13th birthday, so eight years ago. I have a wide array of hobbies that start at tactile work such as crocheting and weaving, to activities such as mountain biking. I tend to be a singer, love playing instruments, and I am working on editing a novel for publishing. I guess you could call my other interest my education as I enjoy learning consistently. Because of that, it was difficult to decide on degrees which has produced a double major in Bio and English with enough chemistry classes to have a minor in chemistry. I love many different shows such as Arrow, NCIS, S.H.I.E.L.D ect. and movies like the Avengers, Iron Man or classics like Bells on Their Toes, American in Paris and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

I have read the entire trilogy several times, the Hobbit as well and am wading my way through the Silmarillion. I also have Tolkeins Untold Tales which I will work on after Silmarillion. Lord of the Rings has been a big part of my childhood and it was also a place where I would run and hide. It is because of Tolkien (and Anne McCafrey) that I write. It is very saddening to me that we will no longer have fresh views on Middle Earth with Hobbit: BoFA. But all good things must come to an end!

I guess the only question that I could have is whether or not the Realms are still active? I was looking at their pages and the latest news is from 2010...

OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome, newbies!! Yes, Cat, the several of the realms are still active, though you may want to PM the realm head or check out the active realms thread before joining one, as some have died off.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome cujoe and Cat! So glad to have y'all here with us!
Hadhien
Council Member
Send Message
Hello! I'm new to the site and just started getting through the Sindarin course in the language section. (Hooray!) I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Hadhien and season's greetings to you.
P5awsome
Council Member
Send Message
Hey there. Found the site a few days ago via google.
I'm into fantasy and sifi since I was a child. I've read the books long ago, I've also seen all the movies and find them awesome.
I am also extremely ineterested in foreign languages, including artifical ones. LOTR languages fascinates me a lot, so I've decided to dedicate a few weeks to lear more about them. And that's how I got there)
I've decided to start with Sindarin. Any help would be appreciated.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Hadhien and P5awesome! So glad to have y'all here with us!
FemGeek
Council Member
Send Message
Post I'm a Newbie
on: December 27, 2014 02:01
Hello! I'm Lauriana, and I am new to the LotR fandom and I'm just addicted. I love to learn new things, and once I realized that I can actually speak this beautiful language I instantly found this site. I'm excited to learn more! I'm starting with Quenya first, so hi!
<< First3334353637Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email