Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First3435363738Last >>
Author Topic:
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
So many new newbies right around Christmas. Welcome to CoE Yavanna93, Hadhien, P5awsome and FemGeek. Enjoy your memberships and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. For help about Elvish you might want to head over to the Language Forums, where you'll meet many other students of both Sindarin and Quenya.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Hi! You can call me Phoenix. I'm newly obsessed to LotR, and I'm really excited about all this, especially the fact that learning to speak Elvish is a thing.
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Edhelharn, welcome! It's most definitely a thing . So enjoy!
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Newbies!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome FemGeek and Edhelharn! It's great to have y'all here with us!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Evalina
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings, friends!
Name: Evalina, just Eva's fine.
Where are you from: Originally, just outside Chicago, but I move a lot. Currently in Texas, celebrating move #101.
How did you find CoE: Google! A friend of mine and I wanted to learn Elvish and re-read (or read, in my case) the whole book series.
What are your hobbies and interests? Writing, reading, crocheting, knitting, cooking, baking, spinning yarn, and dancing at random moments.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Seen the movies; finally picked up a copy of the books at the local thrift store.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? Is there a way to download the whole of the language workbooks that I'm overlooking?

I'm really happy to be on this site!
"A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen." -J. R. R. Tolkien
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi there Evalina, welcome to CoE!
You can't download them as a whole I think. So you'll just have to come back every day for more Elvish goodness .
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Eva! So glad to have you here with us!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome all Newbies to CoE
Sandethrin
Council Member
Send Message
Post my newbie introduction!
on: January 01, 2015 11:22
Hello everyone!
I'm super excited to be a member of CoE! I signed up mostly for the Elvish courses. I'm currently studying Quenya and I hope to eventually learn Sindarin too! I absolutely love LOTR and the Hobbit. I've seen all the movies and I've read the Hobbit. Right now I'm reading the LOTR books! I'm also looking forward to joining the book club. Anyway thanks everyone and I'm glad to be here!
Namárië!
"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Sandethrin! So glad to have you here with us!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome Sandethrin, to CoE! You'll be in good company learning Elvish, we have an almost daily influx of people joining us for the courses. Good luck!
meir
Council Member
Send Message
Post Fellow Newbie
on: January 02, 2015 12:25
Hey, I'm also new and plan on learning some elvish as well. I've always had a fascination with languages and plan on enjoying this community! Thanks everyone!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Sandethrin and Meir to CoE! Enjoy your studies!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Nimmwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone, i'm also a newbie on CoE. I have been a Tolkien fan for a long time and have read the books nd seen the movies over and over... Battle of the five armies has just come out here and i loved it. While watching i really wished i could understand the elfish bits and so i ended up here. Just finished my first lesson in Quenya, on to the next one
"In place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Nimmwen! Hope you Quenya studies go well!
liquidblue
Council Member
Send Message
hello all. i'm... kind of a newbie. i was around waaaay back in the day when this was still imladris and then when it first became CoE. i haven't been here in a very, very long time, though.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome newbies! So glad to have y'all here with us!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Wow, three more newbies overnight! Welcome to CoE meir, Nimmwen and liquidblue. Good luck to those of you wanting to learn one (or more ) of the Elvish languages. Enjoy your memberships!
StephanieRitson
Council Member
Send Message
Hi! I'm sort of a newbie. I've used the sites language workbooks before and decided to make an account

Name: Stephanie Ritson
How did you find CoE?: I found it through the language courses for Sindarin and Quenya
Hobbies and Interests: reading, writing, playing the guitar, singing, fanfiction
Have you read 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies?: I've seen all the movies out on DVD, just waiting for the last instalment of the hobbit. I've read The Hobbit and am currently on the first book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE?: Could I possibly get a brief overview on how uploading and rating of Fanfiction works on CoE?

Thanks! I can't wait to be a part of this community
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Welcome to CoE, Stephanie.

Could I possibly get a brief overview on how uploading and rating of Fanfiction works on CoE?

You will find all you need in the Fanfiction Submission Rules here and in the CoE Guide to Fanfiction Ratings here (at the very end of the long first post). If you have any questions that the links above do not answer, feel free to send me a PM.
Enjoy your membership!

p.s. - I currently have several submissions waiting to get published, so anything that gets sent within the next few days is likely to be a bit delayed in getting validated.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Stephanie! So glad to have you here with us!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome Stephanie. nólemë has already answered your question, so all there's left for me to do is wish you a great time on our site!
firefly43210
Council Member
Send Message
Post I am researching Human Language , please help me .
on: January 04, 2015 02:27
I am researching human language , as I can , and it matches closely with Elven . Though the spellings are somewhat different . I need to find words that I can break into syllables to find the meanings . Most of the words I encounter just perplex me , but still I am making progress .
Lazarath Las Salah
Nimmwen
Council Member
Send Message
Just finished my third lesson in Quenya, had a bit of trouble understandig the plural lesson but i think i figured it out. Getting to brush up my english at the same time
Any more Dutch people on CoE? It would be nice to discuss things in Dutch.
"In place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!"
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Hey Nimmwen, check the Many Meetings forum in community, and if there is not already a thread you can make one.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Nimmwen, there surely are several other Dutch people (and Belgians!) on this site. It might be a good idea indeed to have a look in the Many Meetings forum. But keep in mind that there are only two languages allowed on this site, being English and Elvish. Any other language can only be used in the rare case it's necessary for the discussion at hand and with a clear translation. The reason for this rule is that we have too many members from all over the world on our site to allow them all to speak their own language and we wouldn't be able to moderate the discussions properly either. But nothing stops you from using Dutch in chat or through private messages .
Nimmwen
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks PSK and gondolinian, i'll check out the Many Meetings forum. I wasnt planning on using Dutch on the site, i enjoy practising my english to much (and since my elvish isn't that good yet) But altough i think i understand the lessons well enough , it would be nice to discuss things without having to translate stuff all the time.

Thanks for all the help and good advice, everyone is so nice

Strider13
Council Member
Send Message
Name: I'm Jack. You can't really shorten that.
Where are you from (country/state)? I'm from the mysterious country of England
How did you find CoE? Um . . . I don't know, really.
What are your hobbies and interests? I love music. It's my favourite (favorite for Americans) thing in the world. Also I really like ice-skating - I don't go to a club or anything, I just love it .
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? I have seen the theatrical versions more times than I can count, but I still haven't seen the extended edition!!
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? Um . . . only that I can't really find the Accents and dots thread (that might not be it's actual name) so it's difficult for me to type accents and circums, etc.

p.s. I joined a while ago but only very briefly and I never did this thing. This is awesome though .
¬¬+
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome newbies!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome everyone! I hope all of you have a good time here with us.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
LadyLevaenen
Council Member
Send Message
Mae Govannen,

My Name is Levaenen.
Since the first movie of LOTR was released, I've been a huge elf fan.
the race was everything I imagined elves to be. so it didn't took long to fall in love with the movies. I visited this forum many times before.

So I thought it's about time to make myself a member.

Cause after all, this is where every fan belongs

~Lady Levaenen
~May the stars guide you on your path~
SidhAAgar
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen or hello for those who don't read sindarin

I am Lucas
For a few years now I have been interested in the art of linguistics and the nature of languages. At the time this new found knowledge came to me I was reading the beautiful works of the great Mr.Tolkien, and I found myself falling in love with elves. Their gracefulness and beauty ensnared me and I would sit there in awe of the elvish conversations and decided i wanted to be able to speak this way and escape the bonds that is the English language. After much searching i was lead here and after experiencing the kindness of its community and the seeing the vast collections of knowledge i believe it is time for me to introduce myself into the world of CoE
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
You certainly have a way with words, Lucas. Good luck with your language studies and welcome to the Council of Elrond!

A hearty welcome to all newcomers! Enjoy!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
<< First3435363738Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email