Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
Eruwaedh987
Council Member
Send Message
Hello!

My name is Libby. I discovered CoE while attempting to find a website that could teach me any form of Elvish (I decided on Sindarin pretty quickly for no real reason). I'm new and still trying to figure out how this whole thing works... but so far I'm enjoying everything CoE has to offer. I enjoy reading, writing, and taking advantage of wifi in my free time. I have no life, and would rather be by myself than talk and/or hang out with friends. My friends (as well as myself) are convinced I'm an elf, given my tall and slender stature, naturally straight hair, and seemingly pointed ears. I just have yet to learn the language, which is my primary reason for joining this site (as I have previously stated). Also as I said before, I'm very excited to further explore this site, and learn as much Sindarin as I can.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Welcome to COE Libby, you couldn't have chosen a better place to learn Sindarin. Lots of help here. Have fun.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome to CoE, Libby! Have a good time here!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
L10068
Council Member
Send Message
I am Claire and i am 14 years old. I love lotr and read all the books including the hobbit in under a week! I was heartbroken when my mum thought it was my sister who likes the hobbit and so lotr so gave her all the dvds and the ds game and has promised to give her the next hobbits when they comes out That was a month ago and she's got bored of it already... I love reading, swimming, and recently archery. This website is amazing and i love the languages section!!! I hope it will increase my knowledge of lotr because i am desperately curious about the world tolkein created and its history.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Claire! I'm glad you joined! Have a great time here!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Claire! Im going to send you a PM in a few moments
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Welcome Libby and Claire! Sorry for the late reply.

Enjoy your Sindarin lessons Libby. If you have any problems finding your way around the site, don't hesitate to contact me. I'll be most happy to help you. Most things are self-explanatory though, so no worries, you'll get the hang of it soon enough .

You've come to the right place if you want to learn more about Middle Earth and Tolkien's world, Claire. Our Encyclopedia has tons of knowledge just waiting to be read!
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Laurelindhe Ithildin
Council Member
Send Message
Happy greetings!

I have found my way here after many years of avid fandom and various memberships on other Tolkien-related sites, and may I say that I am so glad I did. What a wealth of information and such a rich community!

A bit of background info about myself, I am a 35 year-old mother of four, full-time history student concentrating on European History with the intention of teaching at the university level and/or writing, and the granddaughter of two Holocaust survivors. There is so much more I can say, but clearly I do not want to bore you wonderful people too much too quickly, so I will stop there.

I hope to "see" each of you around!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome, Laurelindhe Ithildin! Welcome on board. Glad to see you like our site . As you said, our community is very friendly and rich, so stick around and join in on the fun and conversations!
Narylfiel_Firebrand
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, I'm new here. I honestly have no idea how this website works, so I'm just kind of winging it. If anyone can give me any advice or anything, I will gladly accept it. Thanks
"Most people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly . . . timey-wimey . . . stuff."
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Welcome Narylfiel_Firebrand!

Well, our site is pretty easy to manage, but it's very big. We have many sections with knowledge, information, fun or art that you can browse through by using the toolbar on the left. Every section has some subsections. Besides the 'static' knowledge (although it still gets updated and expanded!) we also have a thriving community. Those are our forums, Realms and even our chat. In the forums you'll find most people chatting about a variety of themes. The Realms are several smaller communities within the site, which you can join (only one at the time). Some are very active, others a bit less. They host their own games, talks etc. And finally you can chat directly with other members through the chat bar at the bottom of the page. Or you can just send them a pm (private message). That's it in a very small nutshell. I suggest you check out the different parts of the site and if you have any questions left, don't hesitate to ask me!

Enjoy your membership.
Narylfiel_Firebrand
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you!
"Most people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly . . . timey-wimey . . . stuff."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Narylfiel! I'll PM you in a few minutes.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome newbies! Have a great time here!
Ireth4Him
Council Member
Send Message
Hey there!
I am Ireth4Him and I'm a newbie to this site! I'm interested in learning Elvish and wondering which dialect I should learn first? I heard Quenya is easier if you know a bit of Latin. I do not, but I am learning Spanish. I would love some suggestions as to which you think would be easier for me to grasp. I just turned 15 last week. (woohoo!) and I love Tolkien! I love to read and write fiction but I'm slightly hesitant to join the world of fanfiction since I have so much on my schedule just now. Anywho, I'd love to hear from any of you and thank you so much!!!

-Ireth
-Ireth
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Ireth! I hear it really depends on the person as to which Elvish language is easier. I don't know though, as I'm not learning it. I hope you have a wonderful time here!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Libby, Claire, Laurelindhe Ithildin, Narylfiel_Firebrand and Ireth4Him I hope you all enjoy yourselves on here.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Welcome Ireth4Him, to the Council of Elrond. Whatever language you choose, it's important you like it. So ideally you should look through the info we have on both, and try to decide which one you prefer. Quenya is indeed considered to be the 'latin' of the Elvish languages, although I doubt there is any direct link. So knowledge of Latin might not make this language easier for you to learn compared to the other. Sindarin is considered to be the more 'common' Elvish tongue. In the end it all comes down to your preferences, so go ahead and give them a try! You can always learn both .
Arthonor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all

My name is Tommy. I am new here too, and very pleased to be so.

I sense the friendly aura of this place. I like that. Even though my social energies, only comes in waves.

I am a very split person, and so I can't decide which language to learn.
To learn one of them, is my main reason to be here.
Actually I think that I just decided. Quenya seems more "me".
Whow, thought it would take forever to choose.

Anyway, pleased to be here.
Peace can not be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Tommy! Glad to have you with us!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Tommy, welcome on board. Enjoy learning Quenya, if you want you can find fellow-students in the language forums .
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome, everybody! Nice to meet all of you
Crystalsea
Council Member
Send Message
Hey there, everyone! I'm new to CoE and so far it's interesting! I'm enjoying this! I'm trying to learn Quenya.

Feel free to call me anything pertaining to my username, Crystal, Sea, or Crystalsea! I am a female from the USA. I found CoE through my Google searches for "Learning Elvish" and it referred me to the page that mentioned the different types of Elvish, which was indefinitely useful!

I'm an on and off college student and housewife. I enjoy spending time with my husband, learning new things, cooking, reading, writing, drawing, listening and playing music, and taking care of animals.

Unfortunately I haven't read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit - I feel so ashamed of myself at times because my husband is a Lord of the Rings fan. He loves the books, the movies, and talking about Tolkien and his writings. I've always heard of the books, and only watched the movies perhaps even a year ago and not sooner due to a few reasons. I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit and I have told myself, "I have got to read these books!" when my husband would say, "Actually, in the book..." and do comparisons/contrasts between the movies and books. So perhaps I'll see if the library has them (they should, not sure what library wouldn't have them.

So far, I do not have any questions about navigating around the website. So far so good!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Crystalsea, you should have your husband join as well. It is wonderful that both of you have an interest in Tolkien. A hearty welcome to you!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Crystal! Lovely username, by the way. Have a great time here!
Crystalsea
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:Crystalsea, you should have your husband join as well. It is wonderful that both of you have an interest in Tolkien. A hearty welcome to you!

Thank you for the welcome! It's exciting to be here! ^_^

By the way, I love your avatar! Arwen is beautiful!

I should try and get him to join - that would be be awesome then I'd have a study buddy, too ^_^
Crystalsea
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth_Ravenlock said:Welcome Crystal! Lovely username, by the way. Have a great time here!

Thanks! You have an cool username, too!
Edlothia-Laelogas
Council Member
Send Message
I'm new here, and just wanted to say hello. This looks like a great community, and I look forward to meeting you all.
Alatariel.com - Fantasy role playing, fan fiction, news and gallery
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Edlothia-Laelogas
Navinai
Council Member
Send Message
Post Introduction
on: August 11, 2013 04:40
Hi, I'm Navinai. I am 57 years old and live in the San Antonio, Texas area. I have long been a Tolkien fan but have decided to learn Sindarin and thought this would be a good place to learn. I love languages in general but find Sindarin to be so beautiful....I am very Earthy and, like many others I'm sure, feel like I am living in the wrong Age. I am new so please, be gentle.
~~Navinai
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Edlothia-Laelogas and Navinai! I hope y'all have a wonderful time here!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome Crystalsea, Edlothia-Laelogas and Navinai!

Crystalsea, good luck with Quenya! Our Elvish lessons will surely get you fluent in no time . If you want to share your reading experience with others, than you must surely check out the Books forum. You’ll find many interesting discussions there.

Edlothia, the best way to get to know our members is by exploring the forums and posting. Perhaps you can also tell our members a little bit more about yourself and your hobbies. That way they know what kind of person they are talking to . You can find some inspiration in the first post of this page, but you are free of course to tell us what you want, or not tell us what you don’t want .

Good luck to you too Navinai, with learning Sindarin. If you’re interested, there’s a ‘fan’s over forty’ thread in ‘the prancing pony’ forum. It’s a very active thread with many people over forty posting.

Enjoy your memberships!
maidenoferebor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Merry Meet!
on: August 13, 2013 10:56
Hello COE!!
I am a huge Hobbit/LOTR nerd and I currently write slash for Thilbo Bagginshield. Take a look at my first post and let me know what you think!
Chapter Two should be up shortly... trying to add it to Chapter 1 at the moment but for some reason I can't edit it :-/
If the glitch can't be fixed then I'll post it on its own.
Cheers!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome maidenoferebor! Nice to have ya!
Bronwethiel Alassien
Council Member
Send Message
Hi there! You can call me Bronwethiel, Bron or Lassie or any variation thereof. It means Fatih Joy. I am 22 years old. I am from Washington State. I've known about CoE for a long time, and have used it for many things, like looking up a name for LOTRO. But I have just now joined. I have read many of Tolkien's books since I was a kid and of course, I have seen all of the movies. I think I still have the animated Hobbit somewhere. I realized the other day that I have been reading the LOTR for ten years and haven't ever really stopped. I'm excited to be here and to meet other Tolkien geeks!
"Connect. Respect. Protect." "It's not about being a good shot, it's about saving lives."
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email