Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post What makes you unique to CoE?
on: February 17, 2003 01:46
I made this topic a while ago, back when there were only about 2000 members here. Now that there's over 6000, I thought it might be interesting to start up again.

So, what makes you unique to CoE? Is it a specific interest, or the place you come from? Is it an activity or the way you do something?

For me, I'm still convinced that I am the only Sorority Girl on CoE, though if I'm wrong, please say so!

If you see someone with the same unique interest or aspect as you, it's a great way to meet people!

:heart:Ringhilwen
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: What makes you unique to CoE?
on: February 17, 2003 01:53
Erm...can't really think of a whole lot....I don't like Frodo, that's sorta-unique-not-really-but-hey....

hey well...hm.got me...
Julie
Stealth Weapon of Aulë
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 01:54
I think that what makes me unique to CoE is that even though I haven't read the Lord of the Rings series (I've seen the movies but what's that worth?) the great people on this site like Ringhilwen, k, FFNH, and many others have been so accepting of me. They want me to participate instead of just watch.

I didn't want to participate in anything on here. I didn't think I was worthy, not having read the books and all, but they almost begged me to join in the RPs and conversations on here. For that I am grateful - for such warmness and acceptance, even with my shortcomings.

I am still hesitant, of course, being so ignorant to the details. Ring can tell you how many times I've asked her about the specifics before I post (she's practically written a few posts for me after all my questions) but she doesn't ever throw up her hands and say "Forget it! You don't know anything! It's just not worth it!"

So I guess what makes me unique to this site is that even though I'm not as knowledgable as most everyone else, I am still accepted.

Perhaps that's not as much of a unique trait after all...maybe we just have really awesome people here.

Ugh...enough of that brutal sentimentality.

Here's my real unique trait:
When I type, I HAVE to type with my keyboard slanted down. Like when I type on my bed, I prop it up on my legs so that it's pointed downwards. It's quite fun, actually.

[Edited on 2/18/2003 by Shekespere]
Fossegrim
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 01:55
I think I'm one of the members on the site that is both exceedingly youthful (in mind, not body), but still wise and profound in my thinking. I came here for the Sindarin lessons and the more intellectual pursuits, but found myself drawn to the unique mood of the members in CoE. People here are, or seem to be, genuinely kind. I love belonging here.
hobbitgrrl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 02:00
Can I say my avatar makes me unique? I don't care how many ppl think is't strange and can't follow it, but others, like me, believe it is indeed "impressive."

And I like a guy from Harry Potter...but I don't like Harry Potter! Isn't that weird?
Dolenaglar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 02:08
I would have to say I'm unique (or not quite so) because I have spent more time studying the history of Arda than I have the history of our world, and I've even gone so far as to found the religion "hobbitism." (If anybody wonders what the heck that entails, please feel free to PM me.)
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 02:25
What makes me unique on the CoE, would have to be my out-right and profound love for all things Orcish.. even my screen name seems to stick out like a sore-thumb! ..or maybe its just the way I act around peole online and in RPGs..
Or maybe its just my avatar and signature..

[Edited on 18/2/2003 by PervyOrcFancier]
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 02:27
*cough* HG's Avatar...hm. now I would not know where THAT one came from...

I've had some time to think...

and, hm, not even sure if I AM unique. I know a lot of people who are like me, that's why I love CoE so much. ^^

oh yeah! My obbsession with Enigma - Gravity of Love...

then again, now I know a lot of people also obbsessed, but that's my fault...^^;;

[Edited on 18/2/2003 by pipsqueak]
DemonaLily
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 02:41
I use to be on the executive council of my sorority...

So I guess Ringhelwen you're not the only sorority chick here. (Although for clarification purposes I'll admit I'm no longer part of the school's chapter.)

I think maybe I'm the only RA. Although I don't think that makes me "unique".

I forgot who mentioned this earlier *but kudos to you* that what was appreciated about this site is that people accept you and want you even if you're not the most knowledgeable person regarding middle earth. I admit I've only read FOTR & TT, but even with that I see people are eager to invite everyone into the CoE world. While I'm more of a lurker than a poster at times you notice these things...and let me tell you their quite appreciated.
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 03:45
I teach Sindarin, does that count . I am also one of the really early converts to COE, being number 144 .
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 04:28
Oh, whenever I get asked a question like this I just think of that saying:

"Remember, you are unique - just like everyone else".
WeskerWannabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 04:50
Err, I seem to be the only one on this site totally obsessed with Resident Evil, as my name implies. I know of one other person on this site that likes RE, but I think I'm the only one who is just as obsessed over it as LOTR!!:evil:

[Edited on 18/2/2003 by WeskerWannabe]
merrysmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 05:13
Oh, whenever I get asked a question like this I just think of that saying:

"Remember, you are unique - just like everyone else".

Ironically, that is on my wall....

Well I guess what makes me unique is the fact that I have not read all the books...and after saying that, and reading others responses, I guess that does not make me too unique. Then now that I think about it I am the only one who wants to say more but never does.....but I will have to get back to you on this one....another unique trait of mine.
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 05:53
I'm one of the few past my twenties, so hopefully my presence might make someone else 'in their prime' feel not so old here! I'm also a mom of small kids. I know I'm not the only Sean Bean fancier, but we're outnumbered I think, and have to stick together! I don't think anyone else has my sig., though I could be wrong. I don't care for Legolas, which is perhaps a bit unique in itself, eh?
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 08:03
Well Lets see? First, My name which seems to always draw attention to people. I also have a terrible addiction to coffee and all things caffinated. Yes, I also seem to be a pyro, and I like to burn things, and stare into big fires. Yep.. thats about it.
Tenemswe
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 08:25
Well, I'm the only one here with a name in my own secret language... not surprising, since no one else knows it. Plus I think I'm the only one here from BLANK college high school, my school. If anyone else here comes from there (and they'll know which school I'm talking about, it's in M- I mean, a big city and I live across the street from it...), then I'm not unique, but at least I have someone to talk to in real life who's as obsessed as I am.
I also completed all the Sindarin lessons in two days, does that make me unique or a nut-job?
I stay up until 4 in the morning every night... am I unique, or are there other people in my year of high school here (: lol
I have a Gollum complex, and if anyone else besides us has this complex, we wants to talk with them. They might have our precious.
Orosarniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 08:59
Hmm.. what makes me unique?
Maybe it's my avatar(s)? Or maybe it's that I'm the 1259th member?
My middle name is Starr.. I'm not aware of anyone who has Starr as their name, so I think that qualifies me as unique. Also, I'm often mistaken to be older than I really am. (Which I'm hoping is a good thing.) I'm sure there are other young Aragorn fanciers out there, but I happen to be a freshman in high school with an undying love for him..
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 09:00
the great people on this site like Ringhilwen, k, FFNH, and many others have been so accepting of me. They want me to participate instead of just watch.

I didn't want to participate in anything on here. I didn't think I was worthy, not having read the books and all, but they almost begged me to join in the RPs and conversations on here. For that I am grateful - for such warmness and acceptance, even with my shortcomings.

Awwww! Many many hugs to Shekespere. Maybe I'm also unique for having found a best friend, and several amazing friends from just being here! :love::heart::love:

Well Lets see? First, My name which seems to always draw attention to people. I also have a terrible addiction to coffee and all things caffinated. Yes, I also seem to be a pyro, and I like to burn things, and stare into big fires. Yep.. thats about it.

All of which make you so special to us Seph! Oh wait, maybe I am unique in that I am one of the few (or perhaps the only one) here that knows your real name!

[Edited on 2/18/2003 by Ringhilwen]
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 09:04
I wish I wasn't unique. In fact, I wish there were about five more of me...

Hmm. What makes me unique to the site that is interesting? My love for Tom Welling, perhaps? I bought a Clark Kent action figure last week -- and he does indeed have plastic hair, as VoS is always claiming...
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Julie
Stealth Weapon of Aulë
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 09:07
Shucks, Ring, now I'm all blushing.

Just thought of a couple more things that might be unique and might not:

My uncanny ability to promise myself I'll go to bed early this night and then I end up talking to Ring till 3am (2am her time).

My absolute undying love for diet coke and loathing for any pepsi products, bar none. (I know I'm not by myself on this one).

My LOVE of smileys. Yes, I absolutely love them. I absolutely absolutely 200% do. I wish I had them all over my room. I wish they were everywhere. I love love love love those dang blasted smileys.

Can't you tell by how much I use them? Well, can't you?

[Edited on 2/18/2003 by Shekespere]
Syriana
Queen Of Rain
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 11:21
What makes me unique...sometimes I wish I knew!

Well,according to my friends in university it is my LoTR/CoE love that makes me unique for them...

But on here?Maybe the weird names I tend to use now on MSN (most of my council friends cannot read it),or maybe it´s just my weird sense of humor...
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 11:33
hmmm there are 3 features that make me kinda unique to CoE....

my illustrations fanatascism (well ok ive mangaged to find a few more of you out there... so perhaps this is just semi unique)

my caving obsession... yeah i havent met many other wanna be dwarves on site.

my vinegar obsession- those who know me know what im like
Orca
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 11:47
Erm... maybe I'm unique because of my obsession with killer whales?

I don't know. ^^; Maybe because I'm the only one to be member number 3442? (I think that's my number O.o *goes to check*)
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 01:01
I'm the only Misty Mountain Monster.

That aside, I'm pretty average
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 02:03
If you're referring to LOTR stuff, I'm hardly unique. Maybe I'm unique because i don't drool over Legolas??? i suppose not.

However, there are hardly any Asians from Asia on CoE. Just a few who are from Singapore, and two i dragged in here. It's good to have people from all over the world, it shows how successful this site is.

I was a bit lonely when I first came on, because people are mostly from USA or UK or Australia or some wonderful place in Europe! I particularly remember when there was a post about brita water filters and loafers and I was like "HUH??" because I had never heard of them!!! And in the chat room sometimes I can't understand half of what people are saying. Sometimes I think 'Hey is that English?'

But people here are friendly.

We're unique, just like everyone else. But hey... we're all unique in different ways.

Oh... one thing unique about me:

I LOVE horses, they are my life, but I have never seen a real horse before. Only on TV.:cry:
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 02:25
Honestly, I believe that my "uniqueness" comes from the fact that I'm not unique! My name should really be "Blend-in-wen." Well, my name is unique I suppose. And I am the Very Able Assistant of The Last Homely House! :heart:
collinsmom45
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 03:36
What makes me unique? Well, lets see....

*I'm probably one of the older folks here, knocking on the door of 40. (40 isn't old, just depressing)
*I've got kids, some in their teens, but I spend more time here and on Ringbearer than they do. Maybe it's one of those "if my parents are doing it, I'm not cool if I do too" kind of things.
*We are homeschoolers, so that means I'm the teacher most of the time(my goal is to work myself out of this job)
*I was a somewhat precocious reader, and read LOTR before I was 10, therefore I have been reading it for almost 30 years.
*I have two first names
*People I don't even know ask me to make pies for them.

Hey, you know we are all unique, God doesn't make junk!
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 06:05
Um... what makes me unique? I really have no idea, lol. I'm not sure there is anything...

Oh, wait! Shameless CoE Store plugs!
Yes, I'm a huge shameless store plugger. I don't know anyone else on the site who promotes it as relentlessly as I do.

*coughgotoitnow!cough* :evil:

[Edited on 2/18/03 by Parmadur]
Orca
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 06:34
I LOVE horses, they are my life, but I have never seen a real horse before. Only on TV.:cry:

I hear ya! I've never seen a real orca. ;-;
Dawn-maiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 11:16
I'm a woman but I hate shopping for shoes.
Deladrieng
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 11:19
one thing unique about me? hmm... i think i am the youngest person on CoE but correct me if i am wrong! i will be 13 on March 26,2003 thats all i know of.. for now....
sofia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 04:50
I think I am the only one around here who's an orthodox Jew, but maybe not.

I am starting to feel like the only one who cannot do archery, has never read any science fiction/fantasy besides LOTR and HP, and has seen exactly three anime movies without knowing that any of them were anime... y'all know so much about fantasy! Maybe someone can recommend some reading to me; my friends are prattling on about dark elves and such and i have no idea what they're talking about!

[Edited on 8/11/2009 by sofia]
WoodlandGuard
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 05:49
Well, I think I'm the only person here that acctually lives in Moria with 3 resident belrogs, ( cat, another cat, crazy-phsyco-parrot) I am also seriously starting to think that I am the only person here that acctually lives in Chicago.

Oh and I know this one for a fact, I am the only person here with a brown belt in Shidokan karate. Go ahead prove me wrong

I might also be the only
"Perny Celeborn Fancier"
Here. In fact I am pretty sure that I a the only one that doesn't find him annoying and instead amazingly attractive...........

[b][/b]

[Edited on 19/2/2003 by WoodlandGuard]
Vulkhan
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 06:46
I AM CANADIAN.. Oh wait- that's definately NOT original..
Maybe the fact that my brain is devided into 3 parts:
-LOTR (My life is based on LOTR- omg!)
-WOLVES (Half of my soul)
-ELVES (The other half of my soul)
Varindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 11:54
What makes me unique is that I'm actually an Elf! Over the years I've been told I have Elf-like features and I have an Elf- like appearance. After discovering LOTRs...now I know why.

Also, I seem to pick up on Sindarin quite easily...I can pronounce it just like they do in the movies. Also, I'm a very talented writer...so I've been told.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email