Register

<< First89101112Last >>
Author Topic:
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Journey of Willow Undertree or Jewels of the Avari
on: December 29, 2003 03:35
((I have access!!!! :love: But only for a couple days. :cry: But in the meantime, Ben and Rosie are MINE!!!!! :evil: ))

Rosie shivered with excitement as she listened to Dwimor's music. It reminded her of the dreams that had driven her from the Shire. She shivered again, and realized that she was cold. She looked around for her blanket, but felt it being slipped around her shoulders as she looked. Ben sat down next to her and wrapped an arm around his wife's waist.

"You cold, Rosie-love?" he asked softly. Rosie sighed a little and looked up at the stars.

"No, not really. I was just...remembering." Ben raised his eyebrows and looked at his Rosie's face. There was a sad, wistful look in her eyes; sadness that seemed so out of place in the eyes of his merry lass.

"Rosie, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all." Rosie replied quickly and forced a quick smile. Ben gave her a disbelieving look and Rosie looked down at her hands. "It's just...every so often I find myself thinking about home. It's--It's not like I want to go back, I know I don't, but..." a small tear slipped down her cheek. "My father kicked me out. He was ashamed of me, my mother too. I don't think that...that they even missed me when I left." another tear made a path down Rosie's cheek. Ben's heart clenched. It wasn't right for her not to know...

"Rosie-love?" Ben took Rosie's hand and with his other, wiped a tear from her face. "Your parents missed you dreadfully." he said quietly. Rosie looked up at him, confusion written in her eyes. "Rillan would know about it, I'm sure, but...Rosie, they didn't think you'd leave the Shire. Your father thought that you would be home within a week, and..." Ben swallowed the lump in his throat. "and when you didn't come back, they were just devastated. They love you, Rosie. Very, very much." Rosie's eyes searched his own.

"You...know this?" she whispered. Ben nodded slowly, and then drew his sweet Rosie into his arms as she cried, for the first time, for the home she thought she had lost. Ben noticed Willow and Rillan watching them closely from nearby, and he gave them a small smile. Eventually, Rosie's tears stopped, and she just let Ben hold her.

"Ben?" she said quietly. "I love you." Ben softly planted a kiss on the top of her head.

"And I, you, Rosie-love."

[Edited on 30/12/2003 by CarolP]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 03:19
Vana leaned aganist a rock, listening to the music with a half-way critical ear. It sounded like Dwarves, firm and solid, but with a soft heart to it. As beautiful as it was, Vana felt that it needed something a bit higher added to it.

Then, feeling stupid, Vana remembered the flute she had carved and was carrying in her bag. She fumbled for it and placed it to her lips. After listening to the melody for a moment longer, she harmonized, a fifth above what Dwimbor was playing. She added her own flourishes to it, making her part decidely Elvish, with a wild feel to it.

She settled into the tune and leaned aganist her rock again, listening to the song rise into the night. It sounded good, as Elvish music usually did when it was mingled with other music.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 03:19
Andurion listened to Dwimor's music with interest, puffing his pipe with a somewhat thoughtful look on his face. He had certainly not looked for it in a Dwarf, but the music he made was beautiful, in a Dwarvish sort of way. The Ranger closed his eyes, picturing himself a grand hall underground, long and high, many pillars at the sides and with long tables and benches, Dwarves of all ages sitting together, sharing food, drinks, songs and tales.

Suddenly a different tune mixed with the music and Andy opened his eyes, his gaze shifting to his side to see Vana playing along with Dwimor. The Ranger raised his eyebrow, grinning at Vana. She was leaning back against a rock and did not see him, too caught up in her music.

Chuckling softly, Andurion closed his eyes again and tried to picture the same hall, only now with Elves sitting between the Dwarves. He failed. It was just so unlikely... Elves did not live underground as the Dwarves did, and when Dwarves did live above the ground, they did not build houses as the Elves did. He had yet to see a home in which both Dwarf and Elf would feel comfortable...

Amused by his own game, he tried again, this time picturing Rivendell underground. Not exactly functional, he realised with a grin. It came closer to perfection when he combined a Dwarven hall with Mithlond's (the Grey Havens) building style. A somehwat older Dwarf and a red-haired Elf together, laughing and singing. It didn't even look all that bad.

A little ways from the campfire, a nightowl hooted suddenly. Andurion's eyes snapped open and the pipe dropped from his hand, landing in the grass between his legs. He had had a vision again, and not a pleasant one either. His grey eyes were distant for a moment, looking ahead at something only he could see. Fire, ash and dust. Firey red eyes that glared at him, so fiercely that he turned away, closing his eyes.

The music continued undisturbed, Dwimor and Vana hadn't noticed the sudden change in the Ranger's behaviour. The vision stopped as suddenly as it had started and Andurion opened his eyes and blinked, focusing his gaze on Dwimor. Was there something he was not telling? Was the road under the mountain not as safe as he had said it to be? He had trusted the Dwarf at first, surely he would not agree to guide them through a road that was not safe? They had nothing of value with them. At least, nothing of value that Dwimor could want. He did not know about the key and even if he did, what profit was there in that?

His thoughts drifted to the red-haired Elf in their company. Narwa... he had been talking to the Dwarf. Andy shook his head, frowning. No, that was ridiculous. Narwa had nothing to give the Dwarf in return.... had he?

((*blushes a deep shade of red* oops! Sil's post made me realise I made a major mistake... sorry! Have edited the last part *sheepish grin* wow, this has never happened to me before...))

[Edited on 1/1/2004 by LadyRanger]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 08:28
Oneth looked at Narwa silently, searching for an answer to his question. In no way could all her pains be washed away, not completely but slowly some things were fading as she became closer to Narwa but they would always be there. She looked up to the night sky, of course there would be no answer there just the stars twinkling down on her.

"There is no need to wash away my pain, being with you is already making them fade." She smiled softly. Then the sound of a harp reached her ears. It was beautiful, not elvish music but just as good. Soon Vana's flute could be heard, mingled in with the harp. It sounded nice put together.

She remained with Narwa for a little longer before stating softly,"We should return to camp now."

[Edited on 1/1/2004 by CarolP]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 02:17
((I had this all written then my explorer crashed... I'll repost in a bit grrr...))

((edit: lets try this again shall we?))

Narwa smiled into Oneth's deep blue eyes. They seemed to be lit from behind with a soft light. For almost an instant he wished his ancestors had taken up the call of the Valar. What amazing splendor and beauty had the Noldorin seen that gave their daughters such a glowing presence?

His question had been a retorical one but; her answer and its sincerity warmed his heart. When they headed back to camp he sat besides the old Dwarf.

"That was mighty sweet my Lady." Dwimor gave Vanalosswen a broad smile as he stowed his harp. It was a very different music than his. It reminded him of birds and stars... he shook his head. This was evidence enough that Elves were not the sort to hang around long. Such silly notions to have in a sturdy Dwarvish brain.

He decided though that this red Elf was different. The Dwarf sat by the fire and handed Narwa a small toy, made in the times before the great Wurm took the mountain. He nodded with satisfaction as the long fingers of his new friend took the toy. "Ai!" was all he said for a moment. Then the two of them fell into the dwarvish tongue, (the only language that could properly express such engineering marvels as the little toy) to discuss the mechanisms. Most Elves would have looked upon the little marvel with its secret switches and mysteriously changing shapes as a trincet, nothing more. 'More worried with trees and silly rymes.' Dwimmor thought to himself.

The next couple of days passed without much note. Ben sighed as the trail turned from the one marked in white stones. The trail towards Rivendell faded and he looked to his bride Rosie. How fair would it be to spend some time with his love in that hidden valley of music and twilight?

Rillan stayed close to Willow as the group drew closer to the towering mountains. The rocks seemed to sprout grim, glaring faces and, he felt very small.

The trail ended abruptly at a stone face with no sign of opening nor even crevice. "Well," Rillan said with a huff as he sat down. "It's a dead end." Willow shuddered she never liked that expression.

Ben looked around confused. "We much have taken a wrong trail a ways back." He spoke quietly not wishing to upset their 'guide.'

Dwimor mearly pulled out some rations, a mischievious glimmer in his eye. He waited while the others grew restless, waited for the sun to sink to the proper angle. He approached the wall and placed his hand on the appropriate point. "Bhraf aanghum draagh ghaash!" He then spit to take the foul taste from his tongue. Orcish was not a language spoken often by other races.

The wall seemed to move, and a crack began to open. It was deceptively quiet and quickly there opened a passage tall enough for the tallest of the party to duck into and wide enough for Beowth to pull the cart. "You have no idea how many hot coals it took to get that password." He said with a wink to the Hobbits, who cringed at the thought of even a Goblin or Orc being tortured.

"Now," Dwimor's voice grew grave as he continued. "I suggest we move with all haste. I have never come to trouble but, it is never wise to linger where the air is foul and Goblins rule."

[Edited on 1/3/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 02:09
Vana bowed a bit toward the Dwarf as she put her flute away. "And it was a pleasure playing with you, Master Dwinor." The words were a normal formula, but she meant them. Her thoughts trailed off to the sound picture built by Dwinor's music. It reminded her somewhat of the stone halls she had grown up in in Mirkwood, dark in places, but full of sunlight in others. Shaking those thoughts off, she fiddled with the herbs in her bag.

Out of the corner of her senses, she could hear the dwarf and Narwa begin to talk about something in rapid-fire Dwarvish. Without looking like she was listening, Vana did so, intently. Now, she deemed, was not the time to reveal that she spoke fluent Dwarvish.

As the party moved on, Vana thought much about Rivendell, their destination at the moment. She had many happy memories of that valley of light and beauty.

The party stopped in front of a seemingly dead-end wall, and they relaxed a bit. Andurion brought out his pipe, and Vana moved to sit as far from him as possible. She never reacted well to pipesmoke.

Idly, she pulled out her flute and ran through a quiet lullaby, changing a few notes here and there to suit her.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 09:30
((alright, shoot. Is it Dwimmor or Dwimor? :dizzy: You're confuzzling me, lol!))

As the party came to the seemingly dead end of the road, Andurion raised his eyebrows, looking around confused. The Dwarf pulled out some rations and sat down, heedless to the Ranger's questioning stare.

There must be some kind of secret door, Andy figured. But what is he waiting for then?

Somewhat impatient and still a bit out of his normal mood due to images of the vision still lingering in his mind, Andurion sat down on a large boulder and pulled forth his pipe. Vanalosswen moved to sit as far from his as possible and the Man rolled his eyes, but said nothing. The scent of the pipeweed calmed him down somewhat, but the longer they waited for the Dwarf to do something, the more agitated the Ranger became. Vana's flute play was not improving it much, though the music was as always beautiful. Andy just wasn't in the mood for it right now.

Finally, finally, Master Dwarf stood up. He placed his hands on the solid rock wall and spoke in a deep, thundering voice, "Bhraf aanghum draagh ghaash!"

Andurion tensed, trying to block out the foul words spoken by the Dwarf. He turned his head away, thus missing Dwimor spitting.

The wall of rock began to move and rumble softly. Within a few minutes an opening big enough for all of them to enter had opened. Everyone stood up and followed the Dwarf as he went through the crack.

"You have no idea how many hot coals it took to get that password," Dwimor said with a wink to the Hobbits, who cringed at the thought of even a Goblin or Orc being tortured.

"Now," Dwimor's voice grew grave as he continued. "I suggest we move with all haste. I have never come to trouble but, it is never wise to linger where the air is foul and Goblins rule."

Andurion, his mood level dropped another notch, moved to the front of the group, coming to walk next to the Dwarf as the passageway slowly widened. The Ranger shot the smaller traveller next to him a rather icy glare. Some trusty guide he turned out to be.

"I wonder how that could be possible," Andy muttered sarcastically, in a voice almost too low for anyone to hear.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 10:01
Vana put her flute away as the dwarf spoke the orcish words and the hidden door opened. 'Oh no,' she mentally wailed. 'Not another cave...' Vana absolutely hated dark caves, though when need pressed, she would go into them. This was a pressing need, and the she-elf swallowed her fear and followed the travelers, coming in after all the others.

She heard Andy murmur, probably in response to Dwimor's comment about orcs, "I wonder how that could be possible." She smiled slightly, but all hint of mirth vanished as she stepped into the cave.

This cave was worse than many she had been in. It carried the memory of the orcs that had been there before in it, and the elven heart in Vana's chest cringed with every breath.

[Edited on 7/1/2004 by Gilraen]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 01:25
Oneth noticed Vana's uneasiness about going into the cave and even though it did not bother her as much she could still feel a slight chill pass over her as she entered into the dark passage way. Ine a few moments her eyes adjusted and she could see the passage was beginning to widen.

The memorry of it's earlier residences seemed to linger every where, even the air they were breathing seemed to hold the stench of orc. Something told Oneth that they would not make it through this cavern with out trouble.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 03:06
An almost unbearable silence hung over the group as they began the long travel through the tunnel. Willow and the other hobbits cringed as their sensitive ears picked up every clink of Beowth's hooves and the clomp of Dwimor's boots. Hobbit move silently when they wish and not even the sound of one grain of granite sand brushing against another now came from under their feet.

Somehow now it came to it, the extra company set the old Dwarves nerves raw. It had not occurred to him until they entered the cave, that with each memebr of the party, breathing and lending their scent to the air, the chance of them being spied increased. How had he let that confounded Elf talk him into this? Ah, yes he remembered, an exceptionally fine saphire. Just large enough to peak the old Dwarf's curiousity. Once again he found himself wondering what brought this strange group together. How much wealth must they have that the Elf handed over that saphire without even drawing a second breath?

Now old Dwimor was not the type to steal, not at all. But perhaps if they had money between them, they could be talked into 'financing' some business... He tried to keep his mind on said hypothetical business to try and keep dark thougts and rank smells from reaching him.

Deep in the cold dark, near the roots of the mountain, an old evil stirred. A stomach cried out for some sweeter meat than the old blind fish. A long boney hand stroked a small object that seemed, even in this total darkness to shine. "Yesss preciousss, we wantsess to find a little orcsey to squeeze. Gollum!"
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 11:55
As the heavy door closed behind them, Vana had to suppress a shriek of terror. Closing her eyes momentarily and taking deep breaths, the elven woman bent her senses to seeing if there were any orcs or other possible threats in the immediate area. No immediate evil was there...but there was a feel to the air of a power long hidden, of the many orcs that had passed this way before the group.

Keeping her steps infinitely silent, Vana moved up a bit. Her eyes had adjusted to the dark and she could, vaguely, see the others. Her hand rested on Andy's shoulder, and the human jerked. "Sorry," Vana breathed in Elvish. Even the softest of whispers seemed too loud, so Vana spoke mentally to Andy, something she rarely did anymore. 'I had no intention of startling you...I am merely afraid, and wished for contact.'
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 03:18
Narwa stuck close to Oneth, his eyes straining against the dark to see farther. He did not know how long they had been traveling. They had tried to sleep once but, even the little ones couldn't seem to sleep. Dwimor led the way beside the pig and cart. A single firebrand was lit and held on a post of the cart. The pig trusted Dwimor enough to follow blindly in the dark but apparently the Ranger and Hobbits didn't.

He noticed Oneth look over her shoulder more often than usual. He didn't say anything at first mearly listened more carefully. Narwa's eyes widened as he heard something. A labored breathing and a strange coughing sound. The two elves at the back of the group looked at each other as they realised it wasn't mearly their nerves. The light of the firebrand caught Narwa's eyes. He hurried forward, "Andurion..." he wispered tensly trying not to give away his alarm. "Are you sure you and the little ones couldn't travel without the light." He glanced quickly over his shoulder. "I fear the light may be bringing untoward attention."

He stopped involentarily and shuddered. There was something dangerously familiar here. A cold not of fear coiled itself in his stomach. The fell voice! He could feel it near, but different, sleeping perhaps. Sleeping and moving? Was that even possible? He looked slightly downward into the Atani Ranger's eyes, his fear impossible to cover. "I worry that we may have made a mistake in coming this way."

He snuck along the passage way, following a familiar scent. Until he remembered what it was. Sunlight, open air... He pressed himself against the rocky wall about to turn back when he heard something down a connecting passage. It peaked his foul curiosity since it had been a great while since any goblins had come this way. "What is it preciousss? What lurkses here? Gollum!" He hessitated and stroked the plain gold band around his finger. "As long as we have our birthday present we be safe, gollum! Maybe itssis something with ssweet meat." He ran his tongue over his dry thin lips carefully, quietly he followed the sound until he could see a light faintly flicker in the distance.

[Edited on 1/17/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 02:37
In the almost impossible silence, every small breath, every turned head seemed like a roar to the Ranger's strained ears. The Elves' nervousness set him on edge too, but he tried to ignore it and relax, focusing on the path before them.

A hand softly landed on his shoulder and he instantly jerked and turned, startled.

"Sorry," Vana's voice whispered softly in Elvish. I had no intention of startling you... I am merely afraid, and wished for contact.

Reassured that nothing was amiss, Andurion nodded slightly and took Vana's hand, putting it back on his shoulder. To be honest, the feeling of the Elf near him was slightly reassuring for him, too.

The journey continued, but it was not long before Narwa came walking alongside of him. "Andurion..." he wispered tensly, "Are you sure you and the little ones couldn't travel without the light... I fear the light may be bringing untoward attention."

Suddenly the red Elf stopped walking and Andurion turned, all his senses on full alert. Something was lurking nearby. Narwa turned his head and met the Ranger's eyes. "I worry that we may have made a mistake in coming this way."

Andy frowned deeply. He agreed with the Elf, but putting the light out was perhaps a greater danger than it would be doing good. He and the little ones had not such keen eyes in the dark as the Elves. If something would attack them, they would be almost defenseless.

"I am not one to distrust an Elf's senses," Andy whispered as softly as he could manage, "But we have not such keen eyes as you. If someone attacks..." he left his sentence unfinished, assuming the Elf would understand.

The whole party had stopped now and all eyes were focused on the Ranger and the red Elf, who stood facing each other silently. Andurion felt the pressing feeling increase and knew they had no choice. If they could not see, neither could their enemy.

"Dwimor, put the light out," Andy whispered, and turned to the Halflings quickly and spoke in an urgent whisper, "Ben, Rosie, Willow, Rillan, stay close to each other and Dwimor. Let's move on quickly, keep as silent as you can."

The light was extinguished and slowly the company started moving again. In the few moments it took for Andurion to readjust his eyes to the light, he reached out beside him, gently taking Vanalosswen's arm. "I will need your eyes," he whispered, looking to where he guessed her face was. He heard the soft brushing of her hair as she nodded.

[Edited on 17/1/2004 by Gilraen]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 11:22
Ben grabbed Rosie's hand and saw her grab Willow's. Rillan took Willow's other hand and nod purposefully at his brother. Ben knew what Rillan was thinking. It was their job to take care of the girls. The last thing he saw before the light was put out was Rosie's eyes wide with fear in her dirt-streaked face.

Rosie took a few wavering breaths, trying not to let the darkness overwhelm her. She listened carefully in the darkness. All she could hear was the nervous breathing of the other Hobbits, and from the pig and the dwarf. If she listened closely, she could hear Andurion behind her. The elves were silent. The only sounds were from their company...but what was that? A hissing, sputtering noise, nearly indistinguishable from the soft snorting of Dwimor's pig.

"Wil," Rosie hissed into her friend's ear, "Do you hear that?" Willow didn't answer, but squeezed Rosie's hand in confirmation. Rosie turned and buried her face in Ben's hair. Whatever this thing was, she prayed to the Valar that they would be safe from it.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 09:06
Vana smiled inwardly as Andy took her hand, which had slipped off his shoulder, and replaced it on his shoulder with a slight nod. Apparently she wasn't the only one who needed contact right now.

The party continued, but soon Narwa moved up past Vana and spoke quietly to Andurion. The journey continued, but it was not long before Narwa came walking alongside of him. "Andurion..." he whispered tensly, "Are you sure you and the little ones couldn't travel without the light... I fear the light may be bringing untoward attention."

Vana agreed...but she didn't want to travel this already perilous road without light! Besides, what of the hobbits? They didn't have the advantage of being able to see in the dark, as Oneth, Narwa and Vana herself had. Suddenly, Narwa and Vana both tensed, though Vana did so for different reasons. Something evil was here; her every sense screamed at her to douse the light.

Narwa looked back at Andy and said quietly, "I worry that we may have made a mistake in coming this way."

"I am not one to distrust an Elf's senses. But we have not such keen eyes as you. If someone attacks..." Andy stopped, and Vana understood perfectly.

The whole party had stopped now and all eyes were focused on the Ranger and the red Elf, who stood facing each other silently. The sense of a creeping awareness stole over Vana's mind, and she unconsciously held her breath.

"Dwimor, put the light out," Andy whispered, and turned to the Halflings quickly and spoke in an urgent whisper, "Ben, Rosie, Willow, Rillan, stay close to each other and Dwimor. Let's move on quickly, keep as silent as you can."

The light was extinguished and slowly the company started moving again. Vana blinked twice, allowing her senses to stretch out. Within moments, she could see nearly as clearly as she could in broad daylight, and although fear tried to clutch her heart, she forced it down so she could focus on the path.

Movement caught the corner of her eye as Andurion reached out beside him, gently taking her arm. "I will need your eyes," he whispered, looking to where he guessed her face was. He was actually looked at her collarbone, but she understood, and nodded, her hair brushing aganist her ears.

The company continued, Vana and Andurion in the lead. Vana felt as though she were leading a group of blind beggars on a string, and the very thought made her smile at the mental image that created. Besides, it wasn't entirely true. Oneth and Narwa could see as well as she herself could.

She tensed and nearly halted as she heard a hissing sound from further down the way. Andurion felt her tenseness and whispered, "What is it?"

Vana didn't dare speak aloud. Mentally, she answered, 'There is something ahead...and it is the source of the evil sense here. I cannot say for sure what it is, but I do not like the thought of taking the hobbits past it, whatever it is.'

[Edited on 19/1/2004 by Gilraen]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 08:45
Dwimor wondered if they should turn back. He could see perfectly well without the light but, the distress around him was unnerving. He came to a decision and shook his head. "We are more than half way through now, and no side tunnels except infront of us. Turn back now and whatever it is is sure to find us." He looked behind him and saw the Hobbits clutching to each other. His face softened, he really felt for them, poor little ones. "We must press on." He caught the panicked look in Narwa's eyes, hoping the Elf wouldn't get skiddish.

Narwa didn't even feel Oneth touch his arm as they slowly continued forward. He was over come with fear, sure the dark voice was just around the next bend. He had felt it before when he crossed over these mountains. He had hoped to slip it's notice by taking the Dwarf's secret way. Apparently it wasn't secret anymore. The tunnel branched out before them. The red Elf stood string as he waited for Dwimor to lead them down one fo the tunnels. He knew which one they shouldn't take he could feel the cold dark presence that sat somewhere in the shadows.

Dwimor headed up down the correct tunnel and the grade increased slightly. In the other tunnel a slinkling form invisible to all but the most powerful eyes sat wondering. "Why do they put out their nasssty lightss, Preciousss?" His big eyes blinked and he continued muttering quietly to himself. "They can't seesss us, can they? No, no, the Preciousss keeps us safe from seekingss." He paused and slunk a little farther up the tunnel. "No... they triess to hide but they can't!" His stomach overcame his caution and around the corner and up the tunnel he went.

"It still comes!" Breathed Narwa. In an instant his knives were in his hands... though he feared they'd be of little use. He walked backwards facing the direction from which his fear came. "You shall never have me again!" He yelled into the darkness. His hands stowed his knives and pulled a small round object from his belt. Without thinking he struck the flint and in the darkness the Hobbits could see a silver spark fall down the tunnel.

Dwimor recognised the smell of a fuse and yelled, "Not in a tunnel you daft Elf! Run!" He slapped the poor Pig and took off up the tunnel.

Andurion grasped in the dark and grabbed one of the halflings by the shoulder and dragged them in the direction the dwarf left.

The small sputtering object came to rest across the tunnel from Gollum. It only took him a moment to decide this was not a good place to be any longer. He took off as fast as he could down the tunnel, the way he had come.

Willow didn't hear the explosion but, she did feel the pain in her ears when she awoke. It was dark, completely dark. She felt A pair of arms around her, "Rillan?" She dared to whisper. "Where are we?"

[Edited on 1/19/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 10:21
"It still comes!"

Andurion turned his head, trying to catch sight of the red Elf. He thought he could see him but when he blinked it was gone. He recognised the soft ring of metal as the Elf unsheated his knives. Could Narwa see what was coming towards them?

"You shall never have me again!"

Confused and severely worried because he could not see what Narwa was doing, Andy turned around fully, just in time to see a silver spark out of the corner of his eyes. Before he could even start to worry about what it was, Dwimor had recognised it.

"Not in a tunnel you daft Elf! Run!"

Not knowing what else to do, Andurion reached out in the dark, relieved to find one of the little ones near. Which one it was he did not know, but it did not matter much. He dragged the Halfling forward by the shoulder, following after Dwimor.

With each step he took, the darkness seemed to increase. What little he saw earlier was now gone, and nothing but black replaced it. Panic started to overwhelm him and he fought to stay in control of his mind and his breathing.

How he ended up this way, he did now remember, but when he opened his eyes he found himself lying on his back, his head and ears pounding painfully. Everything around him was still dark. He might as well be blind. Rolling over carefully, Andy tried to remember what happened, but all thoughts were interrupted when he noticed something missing at his side. His hand reached down to his waist, confirming his suspicions. His sword was gone, with belt and all. He muttered a curse under his breath, listening in surprise how the sound bounced off against something not too far away. A solid wall.

No way they were still in the tunnel. The cave-in must have drawn attention... someone had found them. Someone not all too friendly. No doubt every valuable object had been taken from them.

There was a slight sound of someone shifting not too far away and the Ranger tensed.

"Rillan?"

Willow!

"Where are we?"

Andurion turned his head in the direction of Willow's voice, but he still could not see her, nor anyone else.

"Willow?" he whispered softly. He carefully got to his knees, grimacing when he felt his arm sting. Must have happened during the cave-in, he thought. Ignoring it for now, he crawled over to where he had heard Willow, careful to keep as silent as he could. He heard her shifting nearby and reached out carefully, until he felt his hand touching her face. She tensed at his touch.

"Shh, it's me, Andy," he whispered softly. He leaned in closer so he could lower his voice a little more. "Will, do you still have the watch?"

[Edited on 1/19/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 04:09
"It still comes!" Vana whipped around to face Narwa. She saw and heard his knife come out. Everything seemed to go into slow motion as she recognized what the red-headed elf held and she saw him light it.

Dwimor shouted, "Not in a tunnel, you daft Elf! Run!"

Vana saw Andurion grab Willow and run further down the way. Vana herself grabbed Rosie in one arm and Ben in the other and dashed another direction, praying to get far enough away before that fool thing erupted. Her last memory was of a blinding explosion and the feeling of flying briefly.

She woke some time later with a horrible headache. The hobbits were still unconscious, and the elf woman was grateful for that.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 07:56
When Rosie woke up, she found silence all around her. Her head ached, and so did her left leg. She tried to move it a bit and winced. Her ankle was swollen. Hopefully it was just a sprain. Not daring to speak, Rosie reached out around her and muffled a squeek when her hand brushed up against something warm. Further exploration revealed a curly head of hair, by the length belonging to Willow. With a sigh of relief, Rosie layed down and wrapped her arms around her friend, as much for her own comfort as Willow's. There was silence for a long time. Finally, she felt Willow stir.

"Rillan?" came the breathless whisper. "Where are we?" Rosie buried her nose in the curls next to Willow's ear.

"It's Rosie, Willow-my-Willow." she whispered back. "And all I know is that it's dark." Suddenly, they heard something moving nearby, and Willow stiffened. "Who's there?" Rosie whispered.

"Shh, it's me, Andy," the wonderfully familiar voice came as a relief to Rosie. "Will, do you still have the watch?"

Ben woke up in a puddle of some dank, slimy stuff that he couldn't name. Sitting up made his head spin, but once he felt alright, he scooted to a somewhat drier patch of rock. He heard voices from only a few feet away.

"All I know is that it's dark," the nearly-silent whisper carried to his ears, followed by, "Who's there?"

Rosie! relief washed over Ben like a good ale. His dearest was alive, and at least one other of their company was with her. He was just beginning to move towards the sound of her voice when there was a noise, and a door slammed open revealing a very large (at least he seemed large to Ben) goblin with a torch. The light temporarily blinded Ben, but he managed to see Willow and Rosie clutching each other, and Andurion nearby, and all three elves scattered around the cell that they were apparently in. Another goblin came in, and both tossed a bucket-full of dirty water on the company.

"Ar, that'll wake you up!" one of them growled, and then the door was closed again, and the light gone. The goblins' terrible laughter echoed away down a tunnel, and Ben realized with horror that neither the dwarf nor his younger brother were in the cell with them.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 09:54
((After a fun session of Live Rp with Rosie and Lady Ranger, this demon is what we got. Thanks girls for all the help! ))

Willow gripped Rosie's arm when Andurion touched her. She didn't have time to answer his question, a large ugly Goblin threw open the cell door and blinded her with the light of his torch. The she felt the cold, smelly water hit her and, she couldn't hold back her tears. Outside she could hear the Goblins laughing at their sport.A terrible feeling grew in the pit of her stomach. It told her this would only be the begining.

Rosie could feel tears running down Willow's face, for in her fear of the sudden light and harsh voices, she had pressed her cheek against Willow's. She felt scared, so scared, like when she used to have nightmares, and would crawl into her mother's bed because she couldn't stand being alone. "Hush, Wil, don't cry." she whispered shakily, even as tears escaped her own eyes. "We'll be fine, just wait and see."

Andurion suppressed a curse and closed his eyes for a moment, trying not to give into his fears. He felt responsible for them, the little ones, and though he knew it was a rather hopeless situation, he could not bring himself to think of this as the end. They would get out of here, tomorrow if not today. "Willow, do you have your pocket watch?" he asked again, his voice soft and as comforting as he could manage.

She sniffed and wiped her face on her sleeve. She looked in all her pockets, and shook her head even though she realised a moment latter he couldn't see her. "No... they've taken everything." Willow couldn't help herself, she'd never been in such a desperate situation before and she gave into the hopelessness. "I'm sorry," she said between sniffs and sobs. "This is all my fault, I never should have left the Shire, never let any of you follow."

"No, Willow, don't you say that," Andurion hushed her immediately. "We made our own choice of coming with you on this journey, and as long as we stick together, this will not be the end of that journey."

"I would have left the Shire with or without you Wil, and probably come to a worse end." Rosie sniffed a little. "Because I wouldn't have been with my friends."

"And I would have followed my Rosie-love anywhere." Ben finally found the trio and grabbed Rosie's hand in the dark. With a muffled sob, Rosie (with Willow still in her arms) grabbed Ben and wouldn't let go. Ben kissed her head and hugged her. "Andurion," he addressed the Ranger. "Rillan and the dwarf are missing."

"Missing?" Andy repeated, not able to keep the slight hint of fear out of his voice. No, no this can't be. In his mind, the most gruesome scenarios popped up but he pushed them away immediately. "Alright, just stay calm," he said softly, more to himself than the little ones. "There's probably some logic explanation..." while continuing to whisper softly to himself, he got up on his feet and staggered through the darkness over to the door, or at least where he guessed it was. He felt his courage slowly failing when his hands felt cold metal reinforcements on the door. No way out.

Willow tried to take some courage from thier words but, all that faded when Ben mentioned Rillan was missing. "Where could he be?" Her imagination answered that question all on its own and she squeezed her eyes shut. Hoping against hope that her thoughts were just that, thoughts and nothing more.

The Goblins sat in a small alcove down the tunnel from the cells on this level. They were shuffling through the stuff they had taken from the prisoners. "Eh, how you think they got in 'ere?"

Frazzig snorted loudly and shook his misshapen head. "Wat's it matter now... we wasn't on door duty, ain't no skin off our backs." The three chortled, glad it wasn't them that would feel the burn of the Great Goblin's whips.

One of them held up a small shinning pendant and wrinkled his nose. "Ooo now that's a pretty to be sure." He went to tuck it into his shirt. "Eh! what you think you're doin'? His great and mightyness said all there stuff was to be saved."

"And 'ose, gonna tell 'em I took it?" He pulled a nasty dagger from it's sheath. "You?" He grinned showing all his rotting green teeth.

"And maybe I'll do that!" Frazzig didn't like being threatened by anyone. Especially if it ment him getting cheated out of some coins. The other Goblin raised the dagger, then cocked his head is surprise. That was the last thing Frazzig ever saw. A dwarvish boot stepped hard on his back and, Dwimor pulled his axe from the grotesque creatures broken body.

"Now... you two get yourselves in the corner." The much bruised and scratched up Dwarf rumbled.

They scrambled over each other in order to do just what the angry dwarf ordered. "And, I'll be taking that pendant if you don't mind." Beneath all the cuts and bruises left my that blasted cave in Rillan blue eyes glinted dangerously. He held his sharp blade to a tender spot of the Goblin's anatomy. The disgusting creature hissed but did what the little Hobbit in front of him 'asked.'

Meanwhile Narwa stirred in the back corner of the cell. Until this point he had been seated, knees held tightly under his chin. He feared not only what his stupidity and panic had done in terms of the Goblins that now held them. He also now felt he had much to fear from his 'companions'. It was His fault they were here in this dank and dirty cell. Their end would be on his head alone. He felt Oneth's warm, calming hand on his shoulder. Surely even she was not pleased with his behavior but what can one do to tuen back time? Nothing.He heard something he was certain. He dared to speak, "Do you hear that?"

Soon the faint light of a torch could be seen. finally a bit of a face peered into the small barred window. "That blasted Elf had better still be with you!" Dwimor's gruff voice came through the thick door. "I've got a nice sharp axe blade I'd like to introduce him to!"

"Dwimor!" Rosie exclaimed, happy to hear a somewhat friendly, or at least familiar, voice

"Is Rillan with you?" Ben asked desperately.

"Aye! Abbannalis I'm with him! Is Willow there? Is she alright?" His voice sounded tired and full of worry.

"Wil's here!" Rosie called, since Ben was so relieved he couldn't speak. "And she's alright, except the watch and pendant are gone!" Then Rosie shifted and was given a painful reminder of her own injuries. But she only grimaced, and said nothing.

"Well, I've got those now. All our things are out here." A big 'but' hung in the air.

"But," Began the Dwarf, "We can't find the key. The little worms left down here weren't trusted enough it would seem." There was a collective sigh from inside. So, they were still stuck.

"Tell me, Master Dwarf," Andurion began carefully, "Do you think the cave can survive one of Narwa's little explosives?"

Rosie and Ben both looked at Andurion in the flickering light with confusion. Rosie's tired brain worked to understand why the Ranger would want to know, but Ben's only thought was that he had gone completely mad.

Narwa perked up. "Master Dwimor! If you open one carefully and pour some of the mixture upon the hinges...."

"Already there Master Narwa!" The sound of Dwimor's heavy boots jogging off could be heard. Rosie's mind suddenly snapped into place and she scooted back to the furthest corner of the cell, and motioned the others to come with her. Andurion quickly scooted away from the door, pressing himself against the wall next to the Elves

A moment later he returned and Dwimor handed the torch to Rillan. "Now lad ye be mighty careful... I'd rather not have this go up in my face." Rillan, eyes wide, carefully held the torch to give the dwarf room and light. The Dwarf, with practised hands opened the hard brown paper packaging. The inside mixture was of a type he'd never seen before. All at once he was fascinated as he spead the gel on the hinges with the flat of a rock.

"You shall have to share with me your secrets once we are out of here." He called to the red Elf momentarily forgetting his anger.

"Once we are out!" Narwa called back holding Oneth close to him. Rosie grabbed Willow's hand with one of hers, and Ben's hand with her other. Willow squeezed her eyes closed and placed her empty hand over her still aching ears as best she could. Andurion crouched down low, his hand finding Vana's shoulder in comfort. He closed his eyes tightly.

There was a quick shuffle sound as Dwimor scooted Rillan back and tossed the torch at the door. The explosion blew the door inward and off it's hinges.Dwimor and Rillan poked their heads in the darkened doorway, both looking rather beaten up."Well that won't have gone unnoticed!" Dwimor motioned they move quickly.

Ben was on his feet in a flash, and hugged his brother tightly. Rillan took a moment to hug his brother back, he reached out and Willow's hand was in his almost instantly.

Rosie, on the other hand, was struggling to get up, her ankle was definately sprained at best. It might have even been broken. She gave a little cry and collapsed as she tried to put weight on it. Ben was back at her side almost instantly. Andurion quickly got up to his feet, helping Vanalosswen up. He hissed slightly as he was reminded of the injury on his arm, but suppressed it and quickly started moving out of the blasted cell.

"Andurion, Rosie's hurt!" he called to the ranger.

Andurion whirled around and after making sure Vana was steady, he raced back in and carefully gathered Rosie in his arms, trying not to wince again. "Come, hurry," he said urgently, moving out again, herding the little ones in front of him. "We'll see to this once we're outside. I need more light."

"Rillan!" Called Narwa, "You have the pendant. Give it to me."

[Edited on 1/20/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 05:57
When Vana realized the situation they were in, she was barely able to repress a scream both of terror and anger. This had been her worst nightmare for literally centuries, ever since she had been caught in a cave-in as a child. She had survived, but just barely.

Her breath catching in her throat, she blinked, trying desperately to see. No matter how much she blinked however, no images met her eyes. Sounds, however, came at her from every quarter, and she frowned, confused. Ay last she realized that she was in one corner of the 'cell' they were in, and the others were in the other corners.

Vana stretched, feeling for her sword and bow. No surprise, they were gone. Her hands roamed quickly over the places she always hid weapons, but all of them were gone, down to even the dagger she wore strapped to her thigh.

She sighed in dejection and leaned back aganist the wall, listening to the others talk. When one of the hobbits mentioned that Rillian and Dwimor were gone, Vana felt her heart sink right out of her chest. For all the hobbit's unusual qualities, Vana found herself enjoying the company of him and all the other hobbits.

Closing her eyes--not that it made a difference--Vana listened hard for anything outside the prison. She heard orcs laughing and discussing the treasures they had taken from the prisoners...but there was another sound.

Vana lifted her head as torchlight shone through the door's window and squinted. Dwinor's face was outlined in the window, and he was peeved. "That blasted Elf had better still be with you." he growled, "I've got a nice sharp axe blade I'd like to introduce him to!"

Vana sagged with relief. At last! She could get out of her living nightmare...those thoughts were stopped cold as Dwinor told the captives that the keys hadn't been on the orcs they'd killed.

Andurion came up with the solution first, and the others followed through on it to the letter. Vana, knowing what was going to happen, curled into a very small ball with her hands over her ears. Sure enough, the massive explosion would have deafened her if she hadn't been protecting her ears. As it was, she knew her ears would be ringing for some time...but all that was very small in conparision to the fact that she was closer to freedom!

Andy walked over to her and helped her to her feet. She noticed a quick cringe of pain cross his face and resolved to ask him about it later...once they were free. Nodding her thanks to him, Vana watched as he picked up Rosie. The group all headed for the exit...and froze as Narwa said, "Rillan!You have the pendant. Give it to me."
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 06:51
Ben stood in front of Narwa, hands on his hips and a suspicious frown on his face.

"Why should he give 'em to you? They're Willow's things, so you let her decide what to do with them."

Rosie watched the confrontation from her place in Andurion's arms, but was unwilling to let it continue.

"Ben, Narwa, please! If we don't get moving, it won't matter who has the pendant and watch. Rillan can hold it for now, and we'll sort it out when we're safe outside." Rosie was talking mostly to Ben, Rillan, and Willow. They were their own small company within the company, and Rosie was the unspoken leader when the hobbits were faced with something so new and dangerous as Goblin caves. Ben nodded and turned around, and Rillan and Willow followed.

[Edited on 21/1/2004 by eldir]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 06:16
He couldn't blame them for not trusting his motives. This was no time to sit and argue though so, he reached down and grabbed the pendant from Rillan's pocket. "What do you think you're doing?!" The round Hobbit shouted.

Narwa ignored him and held the pendant tight in his hand. He hoped this would work. He had made a jump in logic, thinking that if Willow was able to activate the glowing properties of the stone Anaralk had made, then he, more closely related and, knowledgble in such things... A bright green light slipped out between his fingers. He opened his eyes and quickly handed the pendant to Andurion before the ranger releived him of his head. "Perhaps this will help light your way?" And he continued with the other elves and dwarf up the tunnel.

((Sorry it's so short been busy on the Enterprise with LR hmmm something about that doesn't sound right *shrugs*))
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 10:34
((*hums under breath* life-forms... precious little life-forms...))

If Andurion wouldn't have Rosie in his arms and would've had his sword within reach, Narwa would most likely be in a far less comfortable position now. But as for now, the Ranger could do nothing but watch with growing worry.

He raised both eyebrows as the red Elf handed the pendant to him. It was shining clearly now, more than the greenish glow it had given at first.

"Perhaps this will help light your way?"

Before Andy could react, Narwa, the Dwarf and the two other Elves had started their way up the tunnel. With a shake of his head, Andy gave the pendant to Rosie.

"Here, you keep that for Will," he said, and started quickly after the others, making sure Rillan, Ben and Willow were close to him, so he could keep an eye on them. When they had caught up a bit with the Elves and the Dwarf, the Ranger called somewhat huffy,

"You could've just asked!"
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 11:20
Rosie smiled with a mixture of relief and laughter as she held Willow's pendant out to light the way. Laughing at a Dunadan is nothing to do unless you're sure it won't get you killed, but Rosie was sure, so she laughed a little at Andurion's semi-pouting reaction to Narwa. But Rosie was relived that Narwa wasn't trying to steal the pendant. She had rather grown to like the elf, despite his distant, often confusing ways.

"You should always make yourself clear to a Ranger," Rosie winked at Narwa. "Otherwise you may find that some parts of your body are no longer attached."

Ben shook his head, torn between annoyance with Narwa and worry for Rosie. She hadn't said anything, but Ben knew that Rosie's ankle was really hurt, and that seemed like a very bad thing. Being crippled, even temporarily, put you at a disadvantage if you were attacked. He hoped beyond hopes that it was only a sprain, but from the look on her face when she had tried to walk, Ben feared that it was worse.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 10:08
Once they were a reasonable distance down the tunnel Dwimor stopper them and handed out the weapons he had slung across his back. Willow took her small blade and looked up at Rosie and Andurion. "You had better let me carry Rosie." She said with a stolid look of determination.

Andurion glanced down at Willow, eyebrows raised. Maybe she was right, but he was not about to admit that easily. "Carry Rosie?" he repeated. "No offense, Will, but she's taller than you are. I'll carry her."

Willow sighed and looked up at the Ranger much as a mother would an unruly child. "Your sword is of too much value, if you don't mind my saying. And I have a strong back, never you fear I shan't drop her." She turned her back and looked expectantly over her shoulder at the much taller man. A clamor came from behind them down the tunnel.

Andy sighed. Willow was right. He carefully lowered Rosie onto Willow's back, trying to keep the grimace off his face when his arm started hurting again. Blasted Goblins. He took his sword from Dwimor and quickly buckled it on again.

"Quickly, quickly." The Dwarf whispered (if Dwarves can whisper) harshly. "I said that little noise of ours wouldn't go unnoticed." He headed down the tunnels at the head of their little column. Dwarves never lose their sense of direction undergroud, though it happens often enough above.

Willow and the other Hobbits tried to keep to up. Ben lent his support to Willow as he cast worried looks behind them. Andy followed at the rear of the column, as usual. He tried not to look behind him and kept his eyes fixed on the path before them.

The screatching sounds of persuit seemed to come from all around them, down every off shooting tunnel. Dwimor was constantly having to go deeper and deeper under the mountain to avoid the converging numbers of Goblins. If only he could find a clear tunnel they could be out of the mountain soon. "'Ere! I found them!" I screamed an instant before an axe cleaved it in twain. Dwimor and the elves cut through atleast five more before they were able to continue.

"Up there!" Narwa pointed as a sliver of sunlight came down the tunnel. Dwimor turned, he had been sure the door was near.

Willow was puffing and panting her legs begining to burn. "Let us hope it is the wan light of dawn we see before us not twilight!"

[Edited on 1/26/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 01:28
Vana took her weapons from Dwimor and strapped them quickly into place as Willow and Andurion argued back and forth quietly. The result of the argument was that Willow took Rosie on her back. Vana raised her eyebrows, but realized that she and all the bigger folk needed their hands free in case orcs came so Willow was really the best choice.

A few minor battles ensued, and Vana was grateful for the use of her arms in the process. At last, they saw light ahead, and they ran for it, praying that it was morning light, not evening light.

As Vana, who was in the lead with Andurion, rounded the corner, they stopped short. A door leading out was there, and it showed daylight, thank the Valar...but at least twenty orcs guarded the door. Vana's sword sang as she unsheathed it...again... and set herself.

[Edited on 26/1/2004 by eldir]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 09:06
Rosie held tight to Willow, trying not to choke her friend. There were Goblins aplenty before them, and that was no good thing. Ben sidled up to the pair.

"Willow, d'you think we might manage to slip around them and get Rosie outside?" Willow didn't answer at first, but Rillan did.

"What good would it do?" he asked.

"If anything were to happen to the Big Folk and the Dwarf," Ben explained, his eyes wide and watching the beginnings of the fight, "Then we would have some chance of getting away with our skins." Rosie took a deep breath. She knew that if they did have to fend for themselves, she would only be a burden, and probably get all of them killed.

"Can you do it, Wil?" she whispered into Willow's ear. Willow nodded. "Alright, but I want you three to promise me something."

"What, Rosie-love?" Ben asked, a bit confused. Rosie set her jaw.

"If the Goblins follow, and we have to make a run for it, you go without me." Ben and Willow started to protest, but a Goblin falling dead in front of them startled them out of speaking. "I don't want any of you to die and you'd have a better chance without me if it comes to it." Rosie said resolutely. "Promise me." Ben bit back the fear and tears that tried to overwhelm him and nodded. He wouldn't leave Rosie no matter what, but she didn't need to know that. Besides, everything would be alright. Willow took a deep breath.

"Alright then, let's go." And the four of them moved around the edge of the fighting, which was in violent force, and prayed that they would not be noticed by the Goblins.

[Edited on 27/1/2004 by eldir]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 09:16
An old gray crow squacked and ruffled it's feathers before speaking. "You had better not have let them escape..." Its voice was old and crass. "And if they have to better be sure your lackies don't kill them!" A hoarse coughing laugh came from the infernal bird's throat. How he hated this ever present reminder that he was no longer his own master.

Ever since the Dark Lord had arisen, who knows how, The Great Goblin was ever at his beck and call. He knew all too well not to cross the Sorcerer though. Better to live a servant than die a horrible death. "It's hardly my fault if one of their swords slip and accidentally slit a throat or two..." He grumbled testily.

If a beak could show a smile surely the ragged crow would be grinning now. "I'm sure the Dark Lord will see it that way."

Willow tried to pant as quietly as possible. She couldn't lie to herself, Rosie may have been a bit too much of a load on this incline. She could not think of that now. She must concentrate at working her way around the Goblins and through the partially open stone door.

It was indeed the light of early morning streaming through the opening. As soon as they were outside the Goblins would have to wait until night to follow. Unless it turned cloudy... she shook her head and didn't allow her thoughts to travel any further in that direction.

Ben pushed forward ahead and Rillan covered from behind. Ben slipped through, as did Willow with her precious cargo. Rillan however stuck in the small opening. His eyes went big and he tried to wave them to go on without him. Abbannalis shook his head. "I already thought I lost you once this day little brother. Never again!" And with that Ben grabbed his stuck brother's arm and pulled bracing himself against the stone doorframe.

Rillan felt a boot come in contact with his rump and down the two brother's tumbled. Down the steep hillside of loose rock they went one atop the other then the other way around. Willow gasped worriedly and started skidding down the hill as carefully as she could to spare poor Rosie.

Ben simply stood up at the bottom shook himself and said. "Well that's one way down a hill isn't it?" Even bruised and tossled he never lost his sense of humor.

[Edited on 3/2/2004 by eldir]
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 09:33
Dark Goblin blood flowed freely as the three Elves, the Dwarf and the Man fought their way to the daylight; their way to freedom.

Andurion noticed Vanalosswen next to him becoming more and more set on moving forward and not as much on clearing the way first. He tried to keep an eye on her, so that she might not hurt herself in any rash actions. He had long since noticed the cave was causing extreme distress to the Elf. But the way was narrow and it did not give the Ranger as much moving space as he would have liked.

Unnoticed by the Goblins, the four Halflings slipped past them and moved towards the way out. But as the first of them passed through the light was momentarily blocked, and the Goblins noticed with a vicious roar that their prisoners were escaping out into the daylight.

But it was already too late. Vana and Andy had taken down those blocking the path, and only several of them were being battled behind them by Narwa, Oneth and Dwimor. The light had flickered three times now. And then suddenly it didn't turn light again.

Andurion whirled around and saw the bottom half of one of the brothers. He was stuck and wriggling desperately to get free. Andurion, seeing that every second counted, did the only thing he could think of that fast to release the poor Halfling.

With a loud thump, the Took tumbled through the hole and sunlight streamed down, lighting the tunnels below again.

Andurion helped Vanalosswen through first, then turned to the other three, motioning for them to hurry. Oneth climbed out, and Dwimor followed after bringing down the last Goblin with a mighty sway of his axe. Andurion was going to let Narwa through first but with one second of eye contact relented and climbed through first. He was in no mood for an argument right now.

When his eyes had adjusted to the light, he spotted the four Halflings on the bottom of the rocky hill. The two female Elves and the Dwarf were already making their way down towards them and Andurion followed, feeling Narwa coming behind him.

The Ranger sheated his sword and carefully made his way down the hill. Rillan was looking at the others a little suspiciously and Andy realised with a chuckle it was he who had been stuck.

"Forgive me, Rillan. I was in a hurry, and you were in the way," the Ranger said with a wink at the Took.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 05:49
Vana was going into tunnel vision mentality, where her only concern was to get out of the bloody cave. In the back of her head, she knew she should be using her sword more and killing the orcs that stood between her and the door, but she just could not find the strength.

She noticed Andy keeping an eye on her, and that helped snap her out of tunnel vision, as she hated it when anyone treated her like an infant.

Using her sword more, she managed to keep the orcs' attention on her and Andy while the hobbits got out. As soon as Andy had 'helped' the Took brother out of the hole, he offered a hand to her, which she took gratefully. Using his hand as ballast, she slid through the doorcrack and into the sunshine.

Knowing she couldn't stop there, she slid down the long slope on her feet, carefully keeping her balance until she reached the bottom where the hobbits were. Once there and safe, she collapsed bonelessly aganist a stunted tree, letting the sun soak into her bones. Dimly, she heard Andy apologize for something to Rillian, but she couldn't care less at the moment.

After the group had caught their collective breaths and Vana had pushed the dark memory of caves aside, she rose to her feet and sheathed her sword with a decisive clang. "We had best keep moving," she said quietly. "It will be nightfall soon, and these creatures travel best in dark."

[Edited on 4/2/2004 by eldir]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 05:46
Ben looked up from Rosie's ankle, which was swelling rather badly. "But Vana," he called to her, "What about Rosie's ankle?" Rosie swatted at Ben.

"I'm fine, I'm fine!" she insisted, and tried to stand up.

"Oh, no you don't." Ben put his hands on her head and pushed her back down. "You're hurt and there's nothing for it. We're gonna fix you up here, or carry you somewhere else and do it." Rosie huffed and pouted a little. Ben smiled; it wasn't often that he was reminded that his wife was still only a teenager, but this time was one of them. "Rosie-love," he cooed, "Please behave...we are all older than you, and you should respect your elders." Rosie shot him a lethal look, but he had already moved away.

Respect my elders indeed! Rosie thought indignantly, but she found it hard to stay mad with that thought in her head. Ben needed more watching after than a teenager and a tweenager put together, and he was talking about respecting your elders?

"Well, I think I should take a quick look at it, before we move off," Andurion came over and knelt by Rosie.

"Have at it, then." she grimaced, and closed her eyes so she wouldn't have to watch.

((Ok, Andurion, you get to decide what's wrong with it! :love: ))
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 10:38
((Moi? Oh joy I am not at all a medical expert *winks at Tasar* so just kindly poke me if there's anything wrong with this post. Mwua! Andy's not the youngest *giggles* which is actually a bad thing because I had this great idea but oh well))

Andurion gently ran his fingers over Rosie's ankle, grimacing slightly when he heard her do a sharp intake of breath. He was not at all into doing this right here and now, with those Goblins at spitting distance, but pretty soon he discovered it was a good thing he did. Rosie's ankle was indeed broken. He looked up at Rosie, but she still had her face turned away from him, bearing a pained expression.

"Vana," the Ranger said softly, turning around to the Elf, "I need one of your arrows."

Rosie's head snapped around and she gave Andy a worried look but he didn't notice, for he was turned around, taking the arrow Vanalosswen handed him. He took out the knife he always carried hidden in his boot and severed the tip and the fletchings from the arrow.

"Sorry about the arrow, Vana," he murmured, neatly cutting the wood in two with his deadly sharp knife, "but this is for Rosie's own good." He resheated the knife and produced a leather band from somewhere in his overcoat ((all hail inner pockets)). He looked up at Rosie again. She was in pain, he knew that, but there was not much to be done about it now. If he did not take good care of it now it might grow wrong and that would cause even more pain.

"I'm afraid your ankle's broken," he said softly, meanwhile using the leather band and the two halves of the arrow to carefully splint the Halfling's ankle. With the slim wooden sticks on either side of her foot and the leather wrapped around it tightly, she could barely move it, and that would allow the fracture to heal nicely. "The bones don't need resetting, but I cannot have you walking on it for now." He finished the splint and looked up at her again, his eyes soft. "Under no circumstances are you to put pressure on that foot, until I say so," he said, stern but not unkindly. "Do you understand?"

Rosie nodded wordlessly and Andurion smiled reassuringly. "Good. I will see if there's anything I can do about the pain when we have set up camp tonight. For now," he stood up, looking at the others. "Let's get out of this place. It's best to be as far away from here as possible before darkness falls." He turned and wanted to pick up Rosie, but a voice behind him stopped his action.

"I'll carry her."

The Ranger turned his head, meeting two familiar bright green eyes. "If you wish..."

[Edited on 5/2/2004 by CarolP]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 06:57
Narwa could see how worried Abbannalis was about his Rosie. And he was surprised that he took felt compassion for her when Andurion told her it was broken. He looked over at Dwimor who once he saw all was well enough here looked like he might just go back. "They've got my poor Beowth and that's certain." With a nod and regripping his axe he readied himself to go back.

"Master Dwarf," Narwa chanced putting a hand upon the Dwarf's shoulder. "I think your faithful pig has already met its end." Dwimor's eyes glinted not only with anger but sorrow at the loss of his animal. "I think that is my pouch you have there with you?" The dwarf looked suspiciously at the Elf. "Reach in and take what ever item pleases you. I know it will never replace your companion but it will cover the expenses of your cart and supplies.

Dwimor's eyes grew wide when he opened the red Elf's small pouch. it was not filled with copper, silver or gold coins as most travelers had. It was filled with small cut gemstones. Green and blue and red... There was a small fortune in here! The Dwarf like all of his kind knew fine stones when he saw them. He picked for himself three of the largest emeralds and secreted them away upon his person. From that moment on it was decided in his mind to follow the Elf Narwa back to his homeland in the east. His kin had abandoned the trade routes in that direction centuries ago and now Dwimor felt that descicion had been one of great folly.

Narwa ignored what was happening with Dwimor his attentions returned to Rosie. "Let's get out of this place. It's best to be as far away from here as possible before darkness falls." Wise words from the young ranger, and he moved to pick the tall Halfling up.

"I'll carry her." Narwa looked into the Ranger's grey eyes. "You'll tire sooner carrying her. And as you have said we must get as far away as we can." He lifted Rosie up and smiled gently to Ben. "I will take care of her." There was no denying it he had grown attatched to all the Little Ones.

Willow touched Vanalosswen's sleeve, looking to the twisted mangle of trees in the distance. "The star is pointing in there. That is The Mirkwood is it not? Your homeland?" Her green eyes were wide. The hidden valley of Imladris had been bright and warm. The hulking dark trees not more than two days travel away now did not look nor feel like an Elven home to her.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 09:30
Vana looked down at Willow as she felt her touch her sleeve. The hobbit asked, "The star is pointing in there. That is The Mirkwood is it not? Your homeland?"

Vana looked down at the pendant, then back up toward the trail. A smile crossed her slender lips as she realized that yes, the star was pointed to her home. "Yes, Willow, that is Mirkwood, formerly known as the Greenwood...my home." She glanced st Willow again, realizing that the hobbit was frightened. Carefully, she put a hand on Willow's shoulder and murmured, "You need not fear, lass. It is dark, yes, and in some places the dark is overwhelming, but you will be safe with Andurion, Narwa, Oneth and myself. Trust us."

With those words, the elf straightened and shouldered her bow. "Rosie, are you comfortable?" she inquired.When she received a nod from the hobbit, Vana said, "We should move on."

[Edited on 6/2/2004 by CarolP]
<< First89101112Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email