Register

<< First1011121314
Author Topic:
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Journey of Willow Undertree or Jewels of the Avari
on: April 22, 2004 04:40
Andurion's head snapped up, startled at Oneth's question, and perhaps a little more of the fact that it was the Lórien Elf asking it. Though there was no sort of disliking between them, they didn't talk that much, and especially since she had spent more time around Narwa lately, Andy chose not to bother them.

Silence met her question. The Ranger was still trying to make sense of what he had seen and had planned to keep it silent until he had figured it out (and then decide whether it was necessary to tell them or not), but now he had little choice. Vana and Narwa had heard and understood the question as well and looked at him half between confusement and worry.

Andy sighed a little. "I'm not sure," he said softly, in Common, as there was just a Mirkwood Elf passing them. He realised Oneth had spoken in Elvish so as not to worry the Hobbits, but he held true to the vow he had made to himself. Besides, the one thing he was sure of concerned them too, so he continued in Common, his voice soft. "Thranduil has one of the stones, that's all I know for sure."

"Ah, so you have noticed it as well?"

Andy turned his head to Narwa and nodded gravely. "Aye."

Narwa nodded his agreement. "We need it."

The others looked at them in confusement so Andy explained softly (after looking around and checking there were no others around to hear him), "One of the pendant's stones is set in his ring."
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 08:47
((*sings Happy Birthday' to herself* My 17th b-day today!))

Vana turned her head at Oneth's question, though it was directed at Andurion. She had wondered the same thing; wondered why the ranger had spaced out during such an important audience. Vana heard what the ranger had to say...and exhaled.

"That may be a problem," she replied quietly as the group entered the hallway their rooms were in. "That particular ring is an heirloom of Greenwood, when it was Greenwood. Ada treasures it dearly."

The Mirkwood elf bit her lip, thinking hard. This was her ada...stealing from him was not an option and she wasn't sure he would give that ring away.

[Edited on 22/4/2004 by Vanalosswen]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 01:45
((:hug: Yay! *throws a little b-day party for Vana* Look! I even had Cornie and Roo bake you a cake! *a ginger-curled Hobbit and a sandy-curled hobbit come in with a very big cake* :cheers: :disco: :cheers: :disco: :cheers:

Um...yeah. That's all I have to say. :banghead: Oh, and Wil? If you want to go with your original plan that I got "up in arms" about when I called you...you can. :love: It'd add some more trauma to my story. :evil:

So, yes...no more OOC posts! I promise!))
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 04:35
((Well, going on the thought that, since Rosie is injured, she was left in the room to rest. >.< ))

Back in the Hobbit's sitting room, Rosie sat on a sofa, her foot propped up. An open book of elvish poetry lay in her lap, and her hand was wrapped around the flower pendant around her neck. That's how Ben found her. He had slipped in while the others talked in the hall to let her know how the meeting had gone, since she had been left here.

Ben smiled and softly brushed a stray curl off of his sleeping girl's face.

"What a sweet lass you are, Rose," he murmured to her. She shifted in her sleep and reached out in her sleep. Ben took her hand and kissed her fingers, his love for Rosie shining in his eyes. "You just rest and get better."

Rosie, meanwhile, dreamt that she was in Rohan, in a little house, with a tiny lass sleeping in her arms and Ben smiling at her across the room.

((I don't know if anyone remembers, but the book and the pendant (and the chain the pendant is on) were wedding presents. I just felt like bringing them back up. :love: ))

[Edited on 24/4/2004 by Rosie_Gamgee]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2004 09:33
((*laughs and accepts the cake from Roo and Cornie* Thanks one and all! *considers making a speech, but decides that's a more hobbity thing to do* Consider this thread nudged.))
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 04:47
"That particular ring is an heirloom of Greenwood, when it was Greenwood. Ada treasures it dearly."

Andurion nodded with a thoughtful frown, as if to reconsider the possibilities they had of getting the ring. but in his mind he had already decided. There would be no other way than to just take it, by force if necessary. One, the pendant and their quest was so much more important than Thranduil's treasured ring, two; they could always try to find something white to replace it with, and three; well, that wasn't actually a reason, but the way Thranduil had treated Men (and Dwarves too) in the past made Andy feel that they were at least a bit right to force the stone from the King if he was not going to give it willingly. Which he wasn't, Vana had said it herself.

The Hobbits were shown into their room first, and then Oneth, but just before Andy went into his assigned room, he gave Narwa and Dwimor a look that said 'We need to talk.'

The Hobbits were valuable members of the company, that the Ranger knew, but they were just not experienced enough to do it. It was simply wrong to ask Vanalosswen to do such a thing to her father, and Oneth, well, he didn't really know why but he thought that she would much rather try to get their hands on the stone with diplomacy anyway. As for Dwimor and Narwa... yes, those two would no doubt share Andy's thoughts.

[Edited on 7/5/2004 by LadyRanger]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 07:26
Vana remained in the hallway as the others departed to their rooms, concern in her eyes. She couldn't read Narwa's and Andurion's thoughts exactly, as they both appeared to be pretty good at hiding their thoughts, but she got a sense of their emotions...and she didn't like what she was feeling.

At last, when everything was quiet in their hallway, Vana turned and headed back toward the throne room, not entirely sure why her father wanted to see her in private, especially when he believed that only the other elves could understand him when he spoke in Elvish.

Reaching the throne room, Vana took a deep breath, nodding with a polite smile to the guards who bowed, acknowledging her, and entered the throne room.

Thranduil still sat on his throne, toying with a ring on his long finger. He looked up as Vana's soft steps registered on his senses, and a smile crossed his face. "Good evening, iell nin," he greeted, standing.

"Good evening, Ada," she replied, kneeling briefly in respect to her king father. Standing, she gave him a quick hug.

Come, Vana," he said, beckoning to a seat beside his throne. "Sit down."

"Thank you, Ada," Vana said, moving to the chair and sitting down gracefully. Inwardly, she relaxed a bit. Thranduil never chewed her out while she was sitting.

Thranduil sat down on his throne and studied his erstwhile daughter for a moment. Vana met his searching eyes squarely, willing herself to be calm.

"Vana, would you mind explaining the company you now keep?"

The question threw Vana for a moment, as she had already explained her company's errand in Mirkwood and who everyone was. "I-I am afraid I do not understand, Ada," she replied after a moment.

"Explain the human and the red-headed elf," Thranduil said, his eyes cool now.

"Ada, I have explained Padfoot as best as he will let me. He is a ranger from the North, no one else. And...what do you mean about Narwa?" Her blonde eyebrows bunched together quizzically. She had expected the attack on Andurion, but not Narwa.

Thranduil sighed. "There is something about this Narwa that is not right," he replied bluntly. "I cannot put a finger on it, but something is wrong."

Vana took a moment to think about that. "Ada, I honestly cannot help you. I cannot put my finger on it any better than you can. He is good at concealing his emotions."

Thranduil nodded slowly. Vana concealed a yawn behind her hand, her eyes tired. The Elvenking noticed and smiled. "Iell, go on to bed. We can finish this discussion later."

Vana smiled and gave her father a quick hug and kiss before heading for her bedoom. Once there, she sat on the bed and rested her head on her palms, thinking. That had been most unexpected, and she was still reeling from the questions about Narwa. But she was too tired right now to understand everything. She quickly changed into her nightclothes and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 09:27
Narwagassa saw the look Andurion gave him and stopped in his tracks. He walked over and tapped Dwimor on the shoulder, nodding towards Andurion. Together the Dwarf and Elf wandered to the man's door and not bothering to knock, since the invitation (in Narwa's eyes if in no one elses) had already been put forward.

"What is it Adan?" Narwa crossed his arms over his chest. He wondered if the man had perhaps been thinking along the same lines he himself had. They needed that stone, one way or another.

Andurion planted his hands in his sides, giving Narwa a glare for a moment, but then dropped it, deciding that it was better since he had at least stopped with the Atani thing.

"I think you know what has to be done, Redhead," he said, crossing his arms in front of his chest as well. "The stone must be removed from Thranduil's possession, and the three of us are going to see to it." He looked down at Dwimor to see if the Dwarf was going to protest or not.

'Redhead...' Narwa frowned, and tossed his locks over his shoulder. He did not see any reason to say it as though it might be insulting, but said nothing.

Dwimor stroked his beard, ignoring the tension between the two, "Aye... mind you I'm not much for sublty. Leave that up to you elves I do, but methinks I have an idea how to get the ring from off his hand."

Narwa raised a delicatly arched eyebrow and looked down at the Dwarf. "Perhaps you'd care to enlighten, Adan and I, Master Dwarf?" He wasn't really pleased that the Dwarf may have come up with a plan before he himself had. Though if it seemed it would work, then the Elf decided it mattered little from where the idea had come.

Andurion was pleasantly surprised to hear that Dwimor had an idea. He himself had not yet thought of anything likely to succeed, so he was more than willing to listen to what the Dwarf had in mind. The only thing he worried about was that if they were not careful enough, they might not have a way out once they got so far as to actually obtain the stone. If anyone found out, they could be stopped easily. Their weapons were still in the hands of the Mirkwood Elves... they'd have to get those, too. He wasn't planning on killing any of the Elves, but he'd rather have his own sword with him upon leaving. But he shrugged that off for now, looking at Dwimor intentively. First thing to worry about was how to get the stone.

"In my time I have grown to recognize greed in all its various forms." The Dwarf gave the other two a wink. "That king there has a liking for pretty bits of rock. Aye, it shows in his face like one of my kin in a room gilt in gold."

"Which shall make this task the more difficult, my friend." Narwa frowned trying to urge Dwimor to get on to his point.

"For one with an eternity to live out you are the impatient one, Master Elf!" He smiled behind his beard. "If you still have that little pouch of babbles, Narwa... I think it might be called for to make a gift in return for our hosts... hospitality."

Andurion frowned, not able to restrain a small sigh. "You say you are not one for subtlety, Master Dwarf, and yet this sounds suspiciously like it. Could you _please_ just tell exactly and to the point what is on your mind? I don't have an eternity to live out."

If Dwarves had been of the type of people that rolled their eyes, at this point Dwimor certainly would have. But being a Dwarf, and Dwarves being the sort of people they are Dwimor merely shrugged and took a seat in one of the chairs. "They have forges here, I can smell them. I with the help of Narwa will make a ring... How long do you think we have until Rosie- lass is well enough to travel?"

The red- haired elf answered, "A good three weeks. The healers here are very skilled but she is no elf."

"Thank Mahal for that!" Dwimor laughed loudly, "There are far too many a' ye' fer my tastes already." His dark eyes sparkled as he continued. "When we have his Elven Majesty try on the ring... the one with the stone we need will conveiniantly be dropped and lost."

Andurion's eyes sparkled brightly like the Dwarf's. "That sounds like an excellent plan," he said, grinning broadly. The idea of fooling Thranduil was like music to his ears. "We'll have to be careful that the others don't find out, though. I doubt it they'd appreciate this plan of yours... especially Vanalosswen."

"You have a penchant for stating the obvious Adan." Narwa said, though he was equally pleased with this plan of the Dwarf's.

Dwimor gave a single nod of his head. "Settled then. Now we have three weeks to find where they have our weapons. How to get them and what supplies we'll be needin' And how to get out of here." He sat back with a very pleased grin.

(thank you LR for the PM RP Next time you get to post it :rolling: )
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 04:51
((whee, ultra long post! Thanks Tasar for the parts of Redhead *can't wait till they're actually going to pull the trick*))

As the days progressed Narwa ventured farther and farther from the little corner the group of strange visitors had been assigned. Most of the other elves he spoke with were very interested in Narwa, where he was from and very eager to listen to any story he might wish to share. Though the fascination with the halflings was far more, since they were such an odd sight to elven eyes.

Always the red haired elf kept his eyes keen and watchful, trying to learn what might not be spoken. When they had divided up the tasks, Dwimor obviously was making the ring and casting the appropriate cloak of wonder and mystery about it. Andurion had been charged with locating and procuring their supplies for when the time came. Narwa had taken it upon himself to find for them an exit, since they were all pretty certain that once their little stunt was discovered the king would not simply command the doors be opened and that they be set free.

Narwa smiled to Vanalosswen as he passed her and Oneth along with Willow and Rosie (doing much better but still he could see her limping) on their way to their daily sojourn to the baths. The Hobbits had been able to regain much of their lost girth during the stay, something which Rillan seemed enormously proud of.

Narwa frowned, now that he was thinking of the Hobbits, was not Andurion supposed to have told Rillan enough about their plans so he could have the others ready? But the stout little fellow had given no indications whatsoever that he even had an inkling of the plotting going on around him. Whereas Vana, and the other females in their party were in contrast constantly trying to figure out what the three of the reluctant conspiracy were up to.

Reason for this behaviour of the young Took was that Andurion had not told him a thing yet: the Ranger was under the impression that Narwa was supposed to inform Ben of the fact that they would be leaving soon.

Just like the red-haired Elf, Andurion had spent some time exploring more of the halls. But unlike the Elf, Andy had not found the same interest and politeness. Either they turned away when he approached (which sometimes had its advantages), or they sent him a glare, making it perfectly clear he was not welcome, even though King Thranduil had given the entire company, including the Man, permission to stay.

But either reaction did not bother Andy much. He was used to it, and as the days progressed he slowly discovered where and when to go in order to see as few Elves as possible. Also he soon discovered that, being young (he had officially come of age only a year ago) and thus not yet having the weather-beaten features most Rangers had, he could easily be mistaken for a Noldor Elf when properly shaved and with his long dark hair covering his ears (clothes were not hard to ‘acquire’ with so many Elves around). It only worked for a few moments though, and at a good distance. As soon as he’d come closer, most Elves noticed that they’d been fooled.

Most Elves - not all. At the end of the first week Andurion had run into a fairly young female Elf (rather literally run into). She proved to be a bit naïve and easy to make believe things, and the Ranger had pretty much gotten everything he wanted to know out of her, simply by working his charms over her. She showed him around a bit and told him of the halls, the King and such things, in exchange for a few made-up stories about Imladris. He kept his eyes open when she showed him around, and then the following night or next day he would do the same route himself, but then sneaking into rooms instead of just standing in the doorway and looking.

Their weapons were held, together with those of the Mirkwood Elves, in a room more separated from the other storage places. It had taken several trips there to discover their exact location, but once he’d found them, it was no hard job to get them out of there unseen. First he’d draped a cloth over them and checked a few days later to see if it was still there. It was. After that he started taking them one by one to his room, hiding them under his cloak. By the end of it, it were only useless things from his room (chandlers, etc.) that were lying under the cloth, giving the impression that nothing was missing, while in the closet in his room there was a large bundle of swords and the occasional bow and quiver, all packed together in a spare cloak with a leather strap around it to keep it together. On the last day before they’d be leaving, Andy decided, he would take one of the longbows (with arrows, of course) of the Mirkwood Elves to his room. He had lost his own hunting bow in the caves, and he had a feeling that most likely they’d be needing it before the end of this all.

Other supplies, however, proved more difficult. There was a non-stop presence of Elves around the storage, most of which had not been fooled by Andy’s masquerade. But this was where his naïve young ‘friend’ especially came in handy. She would do almost anything for him, as long as he told her an exciting story or sing a little, which he did gladly. Why no one had told her his true identity yet, he didn’t know, but either they did not seem to notice her with him, or she had just decided not to believe them (slightly entranced as she was).

Upon passing Rillan near their rooms one day, Andurion decided that since it didn’t seem like Narwa had told Ben anything, he would have to take care of that. He ushered the youngest of the Took-brothers into his room and explained everything, while giving away as little details as he could. The Hobbit was positively shocked, but promised to keep silent. With a grateful smile, the Ranger let the little fellow continue to wherever he was going before.

Willow, Rosie and Vana seemed to think it possible to simply explain the situation to Thranduil and that he would hand over the jewel willingly. Narwa passed down the carved stone corridors and into the cellars. He, however remained unconvinced. The red haired ellon paused to say a pleasant good day to workers in the storage rooms. The head butler had grown quite fond of speaking with Narwa, telling him all about the workings of the hall and listening with fascination anything Narwa would tell him of the east.

The two elves sat and shared some of the king's wine and Narwa watched the water of the river running beside them. Perhaps it was not the driest of routes... but it did seem the only way. The red haired elf smiled as he bid fare well to the other elf. Everyone knew they would be leaving soon, and in truth Narwa hated to be leaving in such a fashion which nearly ensured he could never return.

He would have stayed longer, would have liked to simply forget this quest. It was not the first time and likely would not be the last. He feared all their reactions, even Andurion's, for whom he had now a grudging respect, when they came to learn the part he had played in this. And worse than that he feared the voice, it was closer now, and something told Narwa that the next step in this journey would take him far closer.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 09:29
((Aiya, Elbereth! I have been gone FAR too long. Well, here goes - some Rosie and Ben-ness. Nothing too mushy, I promise. Just Rosie being a teenager and Ben laughing. :love: In other matters, I can't remember for the life of me which ankle Rosie hurt...I think it was her left?))

Ben watched his wife like a hawk as she walked around the drawing room, gently stretching her ankle every few steps. It was true that her ankle was nearly healed, but he didn't want to take any chances. Rosie, however, seemed to have a different idea.

"Look, Ben, it's fine!" she told him, balancing on her newly-recovered foot for emphasis.

"Just be careful, Rosie," he cautioned. "I don't want ye getting hurt again." Rosie laughed and twirled around the room, being subtly careful not to put too much pressure on her left leg.

"You sound like Rillan." she teased. "Is Abbannalis finally going to grow up?" Ben snorted.

"Not likely, my dear." he tried to act not as worried as Rosie danced over to him.

"Good." she proclaimed, and planted a kiss on his cheek. The she squealed and hopped onto the sofa Ben was occupying, landing mostly on Ben himself. "Something got me!" she gasped in surprise. "Something wet and cold!"

"What?" Ben frowned and slipped off the sofa. Gingerly, he got down on his hands and knees and peered beneath the furniture....

"Ah!" Ben let out a triumphant shout and held the offending 'cold wet thing' up for Rosie to see. The furry bundle wiggled and yipped.

"Alasse! You rascal!" Rosie laughed and took Willow's dog from Ben. "That was your nose, wasn't it?" Alasse responded by licking Rosie's face.

I'm glad to see you up, Miss Rosie! was what he most likely would have said if he could talk, but he resigned himself to kisses and tail-wagging. Rosie wrinkled her nose good naturedly at the abundance of doggie kisses.

"Alright, boy! That's enough!" she slipped off the sofa and walked (with only the tiniest trace of a limp) towards the door. She smiled at Ben over her shoulder. "Let's see if we can get you some treats from the kitchens, eh Alasse?" Ben could hear her talking to the little dog as she walked down the hall.

"Ah, my Rosie-lass." he smiled. The fact that they would be leaving so soon worried Ben a bit, though. He wasn't sure it was good for Rosie to be travelling just yet. What if she re-injured her ankle? Or didn't let it heal enough and had a limp for the rest of her life? Or what if -- "You're sounding like a mother hen, Ben Took." he interrupted himself sternly. "No sense in worryin' about things you can't change. And anyway, what would Rosie say?"
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 10:06
Dwimor smiled a secret smile as he knocked on Narwa's door. Long it had been since the old dwarf had been at a forge. Long indeed since he had down any metal work at all. But it had not taken long for him to remember. Like an old reflex, it came back with little difficulty. Perhaps it was a gift of Mahal that a dwarf once learned in the working of stone and metal should never lose that knowledge.

Narwa opened the door to his chamber and arched a single thin red eyebrow at the dwarf. "Yes?"

The greyed dwarf wandered casually over to the table where Narwa's evening mean was set. He sat himself down and started sampling things here and there. "Master elf, we can leave on the morrow."

The elf's green eyes lit up. "it is done then? May I see it?"

Dwimor's smile grew behind the forest of beard and moustash, and he waved his friend over. "Aye.. here it is." He handed the ring to the red haired elf.

"Oh," He breathed furrowing his brow as he inspected the ring. He ran his slender fingers over the delicate workings of metal and turned the stones so they caught the fire light. Three stones of blue, one to represent each of the woodland kings children. The elf could not help but to slip it on. "It is a wonderous work Master Dwimor."

The dwarf shrugged as he drank down the elf's mead. "It will do. I think its value will well make up for our mischief." Narwa shook his head a little as he removed the ring and handed it back to Dwimor. The dwarf always managed to plan his visits near meal times. He would eat and drink most of what Narwa had and them go and claim his own meal atop it. If the dwarf did not hold as much of the elf's favor as he did... he may have been tempted to mention he was near as bad as the Hobbits.

"Ben knows all I could tell him, he will have them all ready..." The red haired elf said, making an attempt to eat a bit before the dwarf had taken it all.

(and on to the next morning? and the stealing of the ring?"

Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 12:18
((Sorry I haven't posted in so long.))

Vana was worried, and there were no two ways about it. She knew Nawra, Andy and possibly others were up to something, but what it was, she did not know for sure.

She spent a great deal of her time back in Mirkwood with her father, catching him up on what she had been doing and what she had seen. When she wasn't with him, she was in the training yards working on perfecting her skills or with the little Hobbit folk. She enjoyed being with them; there was something about their love of life and each other that drew her to them. They, she realized with a wry grin, brought out the mother in her.

But no matter what she did, she could not rid herself of the lingering chill that seemed to hang over the palace. 'What is causing it?' she wondered to herself one evening. But no answer came to her from the grey mists that hung about the window she stood before. With a sigh, she changed into her comfortable sleeping clothes and climbed into bed with a book she had been reading. Before too long had passed, she was asleep, her dreams troubled.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 03:57
Sunrise, and the halls of King Thranduil were quiet. Few Elves were awake, but in the room that had been assigned to the only Human there, chaos ruled. As ever.

Their supplies and weapons had been carefully hidden on a spot somewhere where they'd pass on their way out, and now Andurion was trying to get the room back to its original state as best as he could. That is, trying to arrange everything in such a way that the missing chandlers would go unnoticed. And doing so as quiet as he could, since more than half of the Elves were still sleeping and were, he suspected, as easy to wake as his own kin, with such keen ears.

When everything was looking satisfactory, Andurion nodded and smiled to himself, then silently left the room and waited in the corridor for Narwa and Dwimor to arrive. Today was most likely their last day in Mirkwood... if everything went as planned they'd have the ring with the white stone and be out of here before noon. He was certainly looking forward to it.

((ah yes.. onto the interesting part. Tasar, I think we need to discuss this... perhaps over MSN?))
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 07:14
Narwa had not slept the night before. He sat watching the flames in the fireplace, calming his mind. Truly an elf's need of sleep was different than the way in which mortal men needed it. For an elf as long as your mind was clear and your emotions calm, you could go a long time with very little physical rest. When he felt the appropriate time had come, he rose from his chair and straightened his tunic.

Out the door into the torchlit hallway he crept, until he came to Dwimor's door. As he raised a hand to knock the dwarf came out letting out a startled grumble as he nearly walked into Narwa. "Blast it all, I thought I was to come and get you."

"No, I thought we had agreed _I_ should come and gather us three together." He said shaking his head.

"Well does it matter now?" The old dwarf was far grumpier than usual not liking really this idea the could near on have him killed by every bloody elf in the place. "Let us get our young ranger friend shall we?"

Without another word Narwa turned and walked over to Andurion's room tapping lightly on the door. "Adan? Be you ready?"

"Aye," Andurion said, slowly emerging from the shadows a little further down the corridor. He grinned slightly at the Elf and the Dwarf. "More than ready."

Narwa tried not to look at all ruffled. "Could have saved me the trouble of knocking... The more noise we make the more likely Vanalosswen is to find out our plan and try to stop us." And with a toss of his long red hair over his shoulder the Avar strode past the mortal and down the corridor.

"Aye at this time his majesty should still be in his chambers..." The dwarf said to himself really. "As soon as the ring is 'mislain' you have it right Padfoot?"

"Naturally," Andy replied with a short nod of his head.

Narwa came to a stop before the door into the woodland kings bed-chambers. He raised his knuckles to the door and rapped respectfully awaiting an answer. Inside, Thranduil waited for his chamber servant to answer the door. After a moment he let out a quiet sigh, knowing it was too early, that the lad would still be having his breakfast before coming to tend his duties. Slowly and calmly he rose and pulled on a long robe of moss green and tied it securely around his waist. Whomsoever may be at the door, could wait until he felt good and ready.

When the door opened Narwa bowed, but the king's eyes seemed not to be looking at him but rather with a cool disdain at Andurion. "My lord Thranduil, my companions and I have come on this morning of our departure to bestow on you a gift of gratitude for the welcome and comfort of your halls."

The very edge and corner of one side of the kings mouth pulled up slightly. Yes he had heard all there was about the long hours the dwarf had spent in the armoury. Though far be it from him to pry (especially since the group before him had been too secretive to learn anything) he could not resist a passing curiosity. "Have you?" His tone conveying his belief that these strangers bedraggled as they were could not possibly have anything he could consider payment _enough_ for his times and troubles.

After a brief pause, Thranduil stepped back from the open door to let his 'guests' pass. "But for the kindness of my daughter you all would have been shown directly to my dungeons for trespassing in my lands." He said standing straight and tall.

Dwimor felt a hand, Narwa's hand on his shoulder before he could make a comment daring the elven noble to do just that. "Of course My lord," Narwa said pulling the door closed behind his small party. "we owe Vanalosswen nothing if not gratitude." He nodded to Dwimor.

"Oh yes..." The dwarf grumbled pulling the small sack with the ring from a pocket somewhere in the folds of his clothes. "I have crafted this ring in gratitude for all your people have done to help us."

Thranduil sighed but the interest could be seen gleaming in his eyes. "I give you my permission to show to me this thing of your making, that you think fit for my hand."

Dwimor sat there and actually smiled. Perhaps if there was someone that deserved being stolen from it was this haughty elf 'king'. With a small bow he handed the ring to Thranduil and stood back.

The Elven king's expression softened for just a moment. "Yes," he said turning the beautiful object over in his fingers letting the stones catch the light. "this object is to my liking and out of respect to you I will keep it."

"If you would allow me my lord?" Narwa bowed a little holding out his hand. The other elf straightened much pleased by the manner of this strange elf for once. Thranduil nodded his head and set the ring in Narwa's, not catching the quick sidelong glance the red haired elf sent the man.

Narwa tried the ring on first one finger then another. "Dwimor you fool you have not made it the correct size!" He fumed very convincingly.

"Here give it to me you could not set you boots right without a guide, elf." The dwarf said briskly and much to Thranduil's alarm grabbed the elf king's hand. "Oh this is the trouble you had it on the wrong one." The dwarf wrenched the ring with the white stone from Thranduils hand and set it with a loud 'plunk' on the nearby table, then easily and snuggly slipping the blue stoned ring on. "There you go." He said nodding, very much satisfied.

Andurion's eyes had been nonchalantly gliding about the room, but as soon as he saw the ring being removed from the King's hand, they fixed on the King's face, making sure his attention was elsewhere before starting to move very slowly and carefully towards the table.

Thranduil took his hand back rather sharply, but said nothing as he inspected the ring where it sat on his fair hand. He could easily have one of his people change the size for it to fit on another finger. At the least he respected that they were trying to show proper gratitude.

Narwa tried not to frown. With the king standing where he was Andurion was sure to be noticed, as after all no matter how stealthy the Adan thought he was, he could not trick an elf. Narwa would have taken the task of snatching the ring, but he knew when he was in a room he was largely the center of attention. "If you would care to notice, there are three stones set in this ring. One to represent each of your children." He motioned with his hand towards the window. "I think my lord would be fully able to appreciate the fineness of these particular jewel in the light of the rising sun..." The red haired elf with the dwarf stomping closely behind him turned and walked to the window opening it wide.

With an inward sigh of relief, Andy let the King follow Narwa a little closer to the window and then made to follow as well, planning his course directly past the table upon which lay the ring.

When they reached the window Dwimor turned and looked back at Padfoot, his thick bushy grey eyebrow raised up into his hairline. As much as Narwa wanted to glance back and check though, he at the moment had the king's full attention on him and so to look away would have been impossible. Andurion tipped his head down with a brief grin, silently relaying to the Dwarf that he had the ring.

The one thing that the three had not counted on was the kings sudden interest in whatever Narwa would tell about the east and his home. Every time Narwa tried to find a polite ending point to their conversation the king had a new question. It was not that the red haired elf was not finding this exchange to be interesting (except for the moment when Thranduil brought his youngest daughter into the conversation) but the longer they lingered the more likely it was for the king to realise the ring was gone. If indeed Andurion had taken it. Finally Narwa felt a tug at the back of his shirt and being mid sentence with the king could only assume it was Dwimor trying not so subtly to tell him the Adan had the ring and therefore the stone and therefore it was time to leave.

Dwimor stood there, listening to the two elves drivel on for ages. "Some of us are not immortal you know and would like to having our breakfast before leaving..."

Thranduil blinked, his displeasure at being interrupted so rudely clear in his features. Narwa actually stood there a moment not sure exactly what to say. "I... uh... my lord you must excuse the dwarf's rashness."

Thranduil arched a fine blonde eyebrow high, "Must I?" After a slight pause, "I suppose I must for now. But I have come to think Dwarves are best in someone else's forges and shops... the only thing fine about them are on occasion the things their thick and unattractive hands manage to make." He stood tall seeming to dare the dwarf to say something in retort. When he did not... "You have my leave to go, Narwa you will break fast with me later as I am interested in what else I may learn from you." And that was it, they were dismissed with a wave of his hand as a young elf came through the servant's door.

A brief look of worry crossed Andurion's features, but it was quickly and efficiently hidden before anyone could notice it. Later... how much later was that? Silently he hoped Rillan had done as bidden and had the others all ready... they would have to make a very fast exit.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 01:27
Vana woke as the sun poured into her bedroom window. Despite the beauty of the day and the warmth of the sun, the feeling of ill ease greater on her now than it had been the night before. Getting out of bed, she paced the room silently, sending her hearing as far as she could to try and ascertain the source of the trouble.

She didn't hear anything specific, but suddenly she had the impression that it was time to get ready to go, and quickly. Acting on pure instinct, she turned and pulled her pack out of its place in the corner. She had already refilled what supplies she had used to this point and added more healing herbs. Now, she quickly changed and readied herself for a journey.

Opening her door, she padded down the hall to Ben and Rosie's room. Leaning against the door to muffle the sound slightly, she tapped softly on the door. "Ben?" she called quietly, glancing up and down the hall to make sure no one else was in hearing range. "Rosie? Are you awake?"
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 07:18
Rosie answered the door, sticking her head just barely out. Her curls were mussed, as if she had just gotten out of bed, but she was fully dressed and looked ready to go. She grinned a little drowsily at Vana.

"Yes, ma'am, we're up." she answered, opening the door far enough to let Vana in. Ben was placing the last of their belongings in their packs, and Willow and Rillan could be heard through the open connecting door doing the same.

"You'd best get your things, Vana." Ben said softly. "And-- ah, Padfoot, that is, he said we'd be needing to leave right away this morning." Vana looked at him curiously but nodded and silently left their room to pack her own things.

"Well, what do you think those three have planned?" Rosie mused out loud. Ben shrugged.

"I'm not sure, really. All Rillan told me is that Andy wants us ready to go."

"That's all I know, Ben." Rillan said, rolling his eyes and placing his and Willow's packs next to Rosie and Ben's. "You think I would only tell you part of what he told me?"

"Well, now that you mention it..." Ben grinned mischieviously. Rosie punched him lightly on the arm in mock anger.

"You be nice, Ben Took!"

"Ow!" Ben pouted and rubbed his arm. "That hurt!"

"I hardly think so, Ben." Willow laughed as she came in. "Rosie didn't hit you hard enough to hurt a butterfly."

"Well butterflies must be amazingly tough, then." Ben insisted. The four Hobbits laughed, then stood silent for a moment.

"So," Rosie said finally. "I guess we just wait."
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 07:44
Vana's frown deepened by the second as she walked down the hallway back to her room. 'Oh Andurion, what are you doing?' she thought, worried. Entering her room, she finished putting needed items into her pack and closed it firmly. Now, all she could do was wait.

And wait she did, trying different things to distract her from her worry. She paced, fingering her necklace absently, she tried to read, but gave up when she realized she couldn't focus, she wrote a letter to her best friend and sealed it. All the while, her sharp ears were pricked, listening for Andurion's soft tread, Narwa's stealthy slide, or Dwimor's thumping steps.
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2004 12:12
Oneth had been awake before the sun had even risen. Though just before dawn her eyes had seemed to have dozed off. Now she woke from her day dreaming state, seeming to sense that the sun had risen. She immediately felt uneasy. The she-elf had felt that way since the day before.

Andurion, Narwa, and Dwimor were up to something, she knew it though of course she couldn't be completely sure. Oneth rose from the chair and crosses her room to the door. She thought it would be best to check in on Willow and the others to make sure they were all right.

She stepped up to the door, it seemed as if they were awake. Oneth knocked lightly, just loud enough for one of them to hear her.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 11:15
Hearing another knock on the door, Rosie grinned and went to answer it.

"It would seem we're very popular this morning!" she commented to Willow as she passed, causing the older Hobbit-lass to giggle. Rosie opened the door only enough to poke her head out, so that their plans would be hidden from any elves that were not in their company. Oneth stood at the door.

"Oh, hullo, Miss Oneth!" Rosie said politely, and (not-so-politely) grabbed the she-elf's wrist and pulled her into the room.

"You'll be wanting to pack your things, Miss Oneth." Ben said, nodding towards the Hobbits' packs on the couch. "Padfoot wants us to be ready."
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 11:31
((ooc: Sorry but I couldn't resist, your signature is so cute Rosie.))

Oneth was pulled into the room by Rosie. She did not mind though. She looked to Ben as he began to speak.

"You'll be wanting to pack your things, Miss Oneth." Ben said, nodding towards the Hobbits' packs on the couch. "Padfoot wants us to be ready."

She nodded, she knew something was goin on. "You are all ready to go as well?" They all nodded.

"I will most like you see you very soon then,"The she-elf said before leave the room and returning to her own.

She began to pack her bag, it wasn't much so it didn't take to long. She made sure to not leave anything behind. She was glad in away to know they were leaving Mirkwood though it wasn't in the most honorable way. She sat in her chair, with nothing else she could do all she had was to wait.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2004 04:41
((Thank you, Sillende! :love: It's the motto of us Nessians...from the Realm of Nessa, you know.

Ah! I have no post! >.> I'm leaving! Don't kill me, mods! *hides from Wil and Wren* [/off topic]))
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: November 01, 2004 12:34
Ben and Rillan ushered everyone into the hallway, both taut with excitement. Well Rillan was more worried than excited, but Ben definitely thought something just very adventurous was about to happen... Of course this is just what had Rillan worried...

They trotted down the hall and Ben said, "Narwa said to meet him in the hall with the phases of the moon on the ceiling..." and he started gazing down hallways.... well rather up at their ceilings. "Stars, birds..."

"Andurion told me we were to meet in the hall with the fruit trees carved into the floor." Rillan responded looking down the hallways... literally down.

"Well Narwa said the moon hall." Ben said taking up his I am the elder posture.

"Well Andurion I think we will all agree is more reliable than Narwa." And Rillan took one look at that posture of his brother's and shook his head letting out a long sigh.

Then the argument started, Ben claiming that elves don't get things wrong and Rillan saying anything breathing can make a mistake. Alasse just sat there looking from one to the other as they very calmly and politely (as only Hobbits can do) had a full on argument. "I beg your pardon brother younger but if you will just realise I am right."

"My esteem-able elder brother, I should like to point out that incident in the caves where the source of your information nearly blew us up."

"Um..." Willow had been standing there thinking a moment and looked over at Rosie who nodded. "Rillan..."

"Not now dear we have to figure out where to go, actually we only have to convince our Abbannalis that the way _Andurion_ said to go is the correct way." Rillan said without turning to look at his bride.

Willow sighed and Rosie rolled her eyes. "My fine fellows..." but the brothers just continued, and finally Rosie was forced to resort to an act of near violence. She grabbed her beloved husband by one ear, just barely peeking out from his sandy curls.

"Eh! Ow." He pouted looking up at her as he rubbed the pinched tip of his ear. "Now what did you go and do that for?"

"Well if you had just listened in the _first_ place..." Rosie started but with a small smile on her lips and Willow cleared her throat. "The hall with the moon phases on the ceiling _is_ the hall with the fruit trees carved on the floor."

The brothers blinked first at the two lasses and then turned and blinked at each other. "Oh." they both stated and off they went again.

"I _knew_ I wasn't wrong." Ben said and Rillan nodded his agreement.

[Edited on 11/1/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2004 07:26
Rosie lifted her eyes to the heavens and spread her hands as if to say 'I'll never understand them', which was exactly what she was thinking.

"Wil, do you think they'll stop any time soon?" she asked. Willow looked at the lads for a moment and then shook her head.

"No, I don't believe they will. They'll probably still be arguing about it if - when - we get back to the Shire."

"Or possibly until they die."

"Yes, yes I think that's quite possible." The two lasses looked at each other and burst into laughter. Ben and Rillan looked over at them, their argument momentarily on hold.

"What's so funny, Rosie?"

"Willow, what are you laughing at?"

The girls continued laughing, trying their hardest not to laugh too loud at the thought of Ben and Rillan, both old and on their death beds, still arguing about the hallways in Thranduil's palace.

((Rather pointless, but a bit of follow up to Tasar's last post...which, Wil, was bloody brilliant, by the way.))

[Edited on 2/11/2004 by Rosie_Gamgee]
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2004 10:11
((I’m awake, I’m awake, stop poking! *giggles* alright, this’ll give us a bit short posts for a while, but ah well, it’s more fun and lively, and I can’t write Redhair anyway ))

The three mischief-makers walked at a swift pace down the corridors, Dwimor trailing a bit behind the Elf and the Man and also making considerably more noise. Andy thought about commenting on it, but then smirked to himself and decided it was better to keep the peace for now.

“How long till he finds out, do you think?” Andy asked in a soft voice, glancing at the red-haired Elf walking next to him.

“Soon,” was the only reply he got.

Andy glanced over his shoulder and at the same time as Narwa, increased speed a tiny bit; they were almost running now. At one crossway of corridors, the three stopped and for a moment all you could hear was their somewhat heavier breathing, both from the walking and the tension in their bodies. Andy’s every sense was alert for anything that might signal the coming of guards, his grey eyes constantly glanced around. If one looked closely, you would see him checking every once in a while to see if he still had the ring with the stone on it. If he lost it, he’d be a dead man soon.

“One of us two will have to get the others,” Andy said eventually, looking at Narwa. Seeing the look on the Dwarf’s face, he added quickly, “Forgive me for speaking the truth, Master Dwimor, but we are considerably swifter and quieter in walking, and we’d best not attract any unnecessary attention. I think, Narwa, it’s best if you get the others while Dwimor and I gather the weapons and supplies.”
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: November 03, 2004 01:06
Dwimor frowned under his moustache and grumbled grumpily claiming that Dwarves could be plenty stealthy when there was need. But really he did agree, since he could likely carry a good deal more than the elf, that Narwa should go fetch the others while Padfoot and he retrieved the supplies.

Narwa nodded, and took off at a trot down the hall. He actually had no idea where the supplies and weapons were so the only viable option had been the one Andurion had suggested. If there had not been a press for time he might have pointed that out, but the red haired elf could feel the press of time on his heels now.

It had not taken long for Thranduil to turn and make move to pull the new ring from his finger and walk back to where his old one had been set. He arched a delicate eyebrow high and stepped back looking under the small table with out bending over, without bowing his head. Blue eyes flashed, he was more than willing to believe one of those three... likely the scruffy looking man, had taken it but for Vanalosswen's sake he double checked.

No, it was gone, not anywhere in sight. This would be the last time he ever welcomed strangers to his halls. He shouted to his servant to alert the guard and position them everywhere from here to the main gates. What kind of fools were they? There was only one way in or out of his stone halls and none of them could open the large stone doors....

Except Vana- - The woodland king felt a terrible stab of worry. "Vanalosswen! They have my daughter..."

Of course the entire plan hinged on the fact that Thranduil would do just that, send his guards to their guest quarters and to the main entrance. The hall where the others should be waiting for Narwa was out of the way, where no soldier should head through to get from their posts to either place.

Narwa came around the corner, "Come now hurry!" and he leaned down lifting Rosie up. It would not do her ankle, healed though it might seem, any good to go running... and should the heal not be complete and should the Halflings re-injure herself well the elf did not know what they would do.

The red haired elf sent a look to Oneth at her questioning stare that simply said, 'Please trust me for now'. He was more worried however about Vana's reaction to this, whatever it might in the end be.

[Edited on 11/3/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2004 02:10
It didn't seem long before Narwa came around the corner. Swiftly yet gently picking up Rosie so she would not re-injure herself he told them to hurry. The red haired elf shot a glance at Oneth, as if to say to trust him for now/

Oneth read Narwa's look and blinked. What could they have done now? Regardless, she would trust him so for now she said nothing, clearly understanding they needed to make haste.The others followed after him quickly, careful not to make to much noise.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2004 06:45
Rosie was rather surprised when Narwa scooped her up in his ams, but the young hobbit-lass didn't complain. She wiggled and bit and, with quite a bit of dexterity, clambered around Narwa as he walked so that she was riding pig-a-back on him.

"Where are we going, Narwa?" she asked, speaking softly into the elf's ear.

"To our way out, little one." he answered, glancing back to make sure the others were keeping up.

"Ah, then." Rosie fell silent for a moment. "Er...thank you. For carrying me, I mean." she said suddenly.

((Ack! Short! Cannae think!))
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2004 12:40
Vana, not willing to wait any longer for whatever signal she was supposed to be waiting for, picked up her bag and walked towards the hobbits' room, taking long, hurried strides. Something in the air was beyond wrong, and she had a feeling it had something to do with her traveling companions.

The blonde princess rounded a corner and nearly ran into Narwa, carrying Rosie. The moment she saw them, she knew her instinct had been right. "Where are we meeting Padfoot?" was all she asked as she fell in step with Narwa.

"By the doors," he replied, not breaking his stride.

Vana switched to Elvish, not wanting the hobbits to understand her. "What have you done?" The red-haired elf didn't reply. Somehow, that only made the knot in Vana's stomach larger. "Narwa, what have you three done?" Her voice was like ice, each word falling precisely into place. Still he refused to answer. She could feel his agitation radiating from him.

She gave up after a moment of glaring sideways at him. Andurion might explain, and if he didn't...she didn't know what she would do, but it wouldn't be pretty.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2004 05:23
As soon as Narwa had disappeared around the corner, Andurion started in the other direction, confident that Dwimor would follow. And indeed as he walked he could hear the Dwarf’s footsteps close behind. The Ranger made his way through King Thranduil’s palace at a swift pace, never hesitating at a turn.

The place where Andurion had hidden the weapons and supplies wasn’t too far, so they reached it without passing any Elf on their way. It was a small, secluded and dark room, the purpose of which Andy could only guess, if he had been in the mood for it. Right now it was just their luck he had found it and no one else seemed to be aware of its existence. Leaving the door ajar to let the faint light of the corridors in, Andy quickly ushered the Dwarf into the room.

They came out soon, looking rather ferocious with all the weapons girded on. Andy carried his own sword and all the Elves’ weapons, Dwimor had his own and the Hobbits’. In addition they both carried a few packs, leaving them without any free hands. That Redhead had better be sure about the guards’ routes… the Ranger thought as he walked swiftly back through the corridors again to the place they were supposed to meet Narwa and the others again. If not… he didn’t finish his thought as he would have liked to. If not, he wouldn’t have a chance to make the Elf pay - he’d be thrown into King Thranduil’s dungeon… or possibly worse.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 03:48
((*hurls icecubes at the sleeping people*))

Soon the Dwarf and the Ranger reached the doors where, it seemed, Narwa and the others were already waiting. Andurion would have grinned if he had not noticed the look on Vanalosswen's face.

"No time," he silenced her before she could even think of speaking. "Here." He handed her her weapons, then gave Oneth and Narwa theirs while behind him Dwimor returned the Halflings their things.

While everyone hurriedly made ready for departure, Andy let his eyes go over every member of the group. Oneth was worried but tried not to show it, Vana was almost downright angry - she had reasons to, he supposed - and the little ones didn't seem to know what to think.

"Ready?" Andy asked in a hushed voice as soon as he deemed everyone to be, glancing around at everyone but in particular at Narwa since the red-haired Elf was supposed to lead them outside from now on.
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 07:27
((*eye shoot open*ah attack of the ice cubes, I'm awake!"))

Vana spoke to Narwa in elvish her voice as cold as ice, demanding to know what was going on. Oneth knew something was wrong but of course she also knew what ever it was there was no time for explanation, they obviously had to get out of here as quickly as possible.

It seemed an eternity before Andurion and Dwimor showed up. The ranger handed the back their weapons. Oneth took hers and sheathed it. She was still worried about the whole situation but she tried not show it. Apparently explantions would have to be said later.

"Ready?"Andurion asked, his voice hushed.

Oneth nodded silently, and everyone else seemd to be as well. It seemed Narwa would be leading them out.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 11:13
(Ice!! *squeals and runs for cover, then brandishing a fresh trout for defence* Alright alright I'm up )

Narwa hoped they could atleast wait until they were out in the forest to try and explain to Vanalosswen. The she- elf had to be made to understand... her father's vanity was worth less than the key and what it represented.

He managed to give Oneth's hand a squeeze as he moved to the head of their motley crew. He strapped his sword to him and slung his pack over his shoulder, a difficult task at points trying to balance little Rosie, but she was quick if nothing else and did what she could to help.

The red haired elf lead them fast as the little ones... no he ammended they were keeping up rather well. It was Dwimmor in his great loud clunking boots who was at the tail of the group. He sighed and hoped that with those things on the dwarf would not sink to the bottom of the river.

This was the part he disliked the most. Narwa signaled everyone slow and stay back. He gently set his Halfling cargo down and walked to the cellar doors. There the head butler of Thranduil greeted him heartily and as he turned to ask if his friend should care for a taste of the new spiced wine from lake town the red elf pulled back his fist and let it fly, landing a sharp blow to the back of the butler's neck.

"Come... quickly." he called to the others as he dragged the uncounsious body aside, "Forgive me I could think of no other way." and he again lead them down the corridors.

"Please Vana, all will be explained once we are safely out of here... I swear you will understand." and if not? Well he would just rather not think of that.

They reached where the river came under the rocks, where the elves sent the empty barrels out and downstream. It was then that Rillan suddenly got how they expected to make their escape. "No... oh no you ain't getting me into that water. I cannot swim!" he looked up and Andy and Narwa with wide blue eyes, unable to come up with a different solution but unwilling to settle for this one.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 09:21
Vana's jaw set in an expression scarily like her father's as the group passed quickly through the halls. She strapped her sword and quiver into place as she walked, her motions almost jerky with anger. She knew these passages like the back of her hand and guessed that they were heading for the river exit. 'Clever,' she thought. 'Skip the main exit in favor of a hidden escape.'

She didn't reply as Narwa tried to reassure her. Instead, she looked down at the hobbits speculatively. She knew most hobbits couldn't swim--she supposed they were too heavily built to float easily.

After a moment, she went over to the empty barrels waiting to be dropped. Yes, it just might work. "Perhaps we can make rafts out of these," she said, pointing at the barrels. She looked doubtfully at the river. It was really fast. "But it would probably go to pieces after the first few moments. Beyond that," and here she smiled slightly, "guards watch this exit for anything unusual. The barrels are supposed to be dumped soon, though, so seeing barrels will not rouse suspicion." She tapped her lip thoughtfully. "We could pack the little ones in the barrels and cling underneath them." Inadvertantly, she glanced at Padfoot. Humans tended to catch chill and sicknesses so easily; she did not want the other ranger getting sick.

"That is the best I can do." She said, looking from face to face. "It is not pleasant, being packed into a barrel," she said, looking at the hobbits, "but if we are not willing to risk an open exit," she looked at Narwa and Andurion pointedly, "then this is the only way."
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 08:31
"She's right," Andurion said, looking mainly at Narwa. And she can know, he added mentally, deeming that unnecessary to say aloud.

He walked over to one of the barrels and knelt down, looking at its height and then glancing at the Hobbits. Yes, the little ones would fit in, although the ones swimming would most likely have to carry the extra weight of their weapons. Having a sudden thought, he glanced at Dwimor. It should be possible to get the Dwarf into one of those barrels as well.

"Master Dwimor," he said slowly, trying not to sound offending. "Can you swim?" The alternative was quite obvious.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 05:54
"Can... can I swim?" Dwimor asked in return, twirling the end of his beard around one thick finger as he regarded in turn the water and the barrel. "Aye," he finally nodded with no small amount of determination, for there was no way he was willingly going to allow his portly self be stuffed into one of those barrels. "Aye... he repeated suddenly doffing everything of weight on him. His thick boots, his axe, his belt with a myriad tools and devices that dangled from it. He was not entirely sure about his swimming abilities, but he was far surer of them than of being crammed into a barrel.

During this Willow and Ben were trying to convince Rillan that the barrels would be safe. Rillan was dead set against anything to do with water deeper than a nice hot bath, thank you much. He knew he sank... When Ben had tipped the boat they were in when just children he had gone to the bottom, it was only the current that had saved him, he was sure of it.

He looked at Narwa, his entire demeaning accusing, "What have you gone and done? Eh? You've done something bad and now _we_ are having to run for it aren't we?" Forgetting entirely that it was obvious Andurion and Dwimor were involved as well, simply wanting to take his frustrations and his fear out on someone.

That had been it, the red haired elf winced at how loud everything was getting. It would not take too long before Thranduil's men figured out what was going on. He strode over and lifted the Halfling, who was just too shocked to say anything, and put him into a barrel. "Abbanalis, you look to be the lightest, I think we can put some of the equipment in with you." he stated, lifting him into one as well.

Willow ran over to Rillan's barrel and nearly caressed the wood, "It will be alright." she assured him, thought she look up at Andurion, concern and nervousness clear on the little lass' face, before she too was lifted into a barrel.

As Narwa lifted Rosie in to hers he looked down at her ankle and shook his head, "We should have wrapped it..." and he admonished himself for not thinking of that sooner. Narwa's ears pricked under his long hair and he turned to the ranger. "He stirs, we must hurry."
<< First1011121314
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email