<< First910111213Last >>
Author Topic:
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
Post RE: The Journey of Willow Undertree or Jewels of the Avari
on: February 10, 2004 08:33
Narwa cradled Rosie carefully in his arms as they all took of at the fastest pace they could. He could feel Ben at his heels. He smiled to himself and chanced a small glimpse to see Oneth was fine. "I suppose we are lucky and should thank the fates that we were not more sorely injured."

Rosie smiled wryly. "Yes, I suppose so. But here I am being a burden and slowing everybody down." she sighed. One of the things she hated most was being a 'problem'.

A grin spread across his face. "'Tis not you little one who burdens our pace." Over his shoulder Dwimor took the last place beside the Ranger. Not because the Dwarf chose to be a rear guard but merely because his age and bulk could not move any faster.

Rosie peeked her head over Narwa's shoulders (noting that Ben was only a few paces behind them) and laughed. "You speak the truth, Master Elf. Our dwarf seems to need carrying as much as I do." she paused a moment and looked up at Narwa's face. "Why did you offer to carry me? Besides the obvious fact that Andurion's arm is hurt." she added.

Narwa considered for a moment her question. That was always one thing he had enjoyed about the little ones. They asked the right questions and they needed no learnt wisedom to know them. "I have offered to carry you because it needs to be done. You are the person Abbannalis cares most about. Since I am his friend and he cannot carry you, I will in his stead." He tried to shrug and make it seem as if it was a matter of little consiquence.

Rosie looked in surprise at the elf. He was surprising, and went against so many things Rosie thought she knew about the Elder People. She smiled and relaxed into Narwa's arms. "That is very sweet of you, Narwa." she said simply. "And don't shrug it off as unimportant." she instructed with mock sternness, having understood the awkward gesture. "It's very important when someone helps a friend."

"Yes, it is." Ever more important to Narwa at this moment was that he did seem to have friends. Ben certainly and maybe even Rosie. And what had he done to deserve any of it? He looked to the south east and felt a chill enter his heart. Trying not to think of the past trying to make himself believe it didn't matter now, he concentrated on the trail ahead.

Rosie saw a slight change in Narwa's expression. She didn't know how to interpret it, really, but she thought it was pain. Or bad memories. She rested her head on Narwa's shoulder, and realized how incredibly tired she was, despite the fact that she hadn't been running like everyone else. She yawned, and began to doze off.

"Thank you, my friend." she murmured to Narwa. Then, though everyone around her ran, she fell asleep.

LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 10:56
The company ran along, Vanalosswen and Willow leading. Ben, Rillan, Oneth and Narwa (with a sleeping Rosie in his arms, quite an endearing sight actually) were in the middle and Andurion and Dwimor took up the rear.

At first they were setting a good pace but Andurion quickly noticed that Dwimor was lagging behind a bit. The Ranger tried to encourage the older Dwarf, but while he adjusted his speed to stay next to him, he noticed that there was a gap growing between them and the rest of the group, steadily increasing in width.

By the time they reached the first trees of what was called Mirkwood, the front group had slowed down in pace, allowing for Andy and Dwimor to catch up. When they did, however, they picked up pace again. A collective groan was heard from all four running of the Little Folk; including Master Dwarf.

"How far do we need to go?" Rillan asked, his voice interrupted several times by gasps of air.

"My feet are sore," Ben chimed in miserably.

Andurion felt for the little ones, but he knew, just as well as Vana, that the trees of Mirkwood did not offer protection. The chances of the Goblins following them here were slim, but a new threat lurked around here. They had to travel as far as they could, and he did not plan on stopping until they all dropped to the ground. He looked over his shoulder, grimacing slightly. Dwimor was really having trouble keeping up.

"Come, Master Dwimor," Andy tried to encourage him again. Dwimor narrowed his eyes, though he was not actually angry at the Ranger. He just happened to be the one closest.

"How much further?" Dwimor asked, panting.

"Just a little while now," Andurion said, giving the Dwarf a friendly pat on the shoulder as he caught up with him. "We'll be there before you know it."

"You said the same... five minutes ago," Dwimor protested.

"And I will again, in five minutes," Andurion replied, grinning slightly. "Just keep breathing steadily, you'll be all right."
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 04:12
Vana looked around at the group, drawing in steady breaths as she ran, trying to keep her heart rate down. The complaints were starting to grate on her sensitive ears, though as the small ones' breath came harder and harder, the complaints went down.

Trotting over to Andy, she asked quietly, "Perhaps you and I and Oneth could help carry the little ones, at least for a time? T'would help with time, and it might lessen the complaints for a time." She looked around carefully, and realized that the only other one capable of carrying the dwarf was already carrying the wounded Rosie. "I suppose I would carry the dwarf," she added in Elvish.

[Edited on 13/2/2004 by ithillinde]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 11:02
It took a moment for Narwa to work out what Vanalosswen had said. He was not familiar with the form of Elvish she spoke. Since, though, at one point in time all Elves spoke Quenya he was finnaly able to discern the Mirkwood Elf's words. He broke out in laughter and tried to quiet himself. "I should not advise it my very brave lady!" He quickly tried to regain his composure as the sound of his laughter would certainly carry. But the image of old Dwimor riding aback the pretty Vanalosswen was almost too much.

Even the normally stoic Oneth seemed as though she were smiling. Ben and Willow looked up at him with curiousity. What did Vana say that had been so funny? Willow took deep breaths and vowed to herself that one day she would speak Elvish. 'Right now though... lets just think about breathing.' She thought to herself.

Really Hobbits have quite a good amount of stamina. But their legs are short which means many more steps to cover the same ground. Had they been in the company of only dwarves or men not of the Dunedain they would have been fine. As it was however three of their companions could probably run for days, and Andurion was certainly not just an average man.

As nervous as she had felt on the back of Narwa's horse companion Willow was begining to miss him. She looked over to poor Rillan huffing and puffing. Certainly he wished the dark horse was still with them too.

"Running..." Dwimor grunted between quickening gasps. "What a sight, a dwarf running from goblins!" He looked out at the looming Trees before them. "And into a cursed forest!"

[Edited on 14/2/2004 by ithillinde]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 03:19
Oneth almost laughed aloud Vana's words in Elvish but kept her straight face though she was sure the others figured something funny must have been said. The she-elf quickened her pace to catch up with Vana and Andurion.

"She's right, I don't think they will be able to hold out much longer. I'm afraid though that master dwarf would rather be killed by goblins then carried." She said in a low voice.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 04:39
Vana dipped her head a bit, letting her loose hair fall across her face to hide her smile at Oneth's words. "I am afraid you are right, Oneth," Vana replied in Elvish when she had regained her composure. "And I suppose I understand. I would be the same way if I were in a similiar predicament. But I am afraid that even if they do hold out much longer, the end result will be only four beings able to fight if trouble should come...and I am not willing to lose any member of the company...no matter who it may be."

As she remembered Dwinor's words about running into Mirkwood, a small frown darkened her brows. She disliked any calling her homeland accursed. With a sigh, the blonde elf let it go. It was true, loathe though she may have been to admit it. Mirkwood was cursed now. Cursed by the prescence of the spiders and orcs and any other foul being that lived outside the protected North Kingdom.

As the elves and Andurion talked quietly, the travelers were drawing ever closer to the trees that marked the beginning of the forest. As they reached the trees, Vana came to a inexpliciable halt, and the others stopped as well, the smaller beings grateful for the halt and not bothering to question it. The others, however, could and did question the halt.

"What is wrong?" asked Andurion, coming to stand beside the motionless Wood Elf. She lifted a hand, asking silently for silence, and he complied quickly.

Vana sent every one of her senses forward, straining to see or hear what had troubled her heart. At last, hearing and seeing nothing out of the ordinary, she said quietly, "I know not what troubled me. Keep a sharp eye open." She said this in Common for the benefit of the entire company.

Visibly shaking off her worry, Vana turned to the others and said quietly, "As much as rest is needed, we must keep going."

It seemed for a moment like the little ones would protest, but they realized the truth in her words and grudgingly got up.

As one who had lived in these woods for much of her life, Vana was the one best suited for leading here, and she did take the lead with Willow at her side.

'I hope the pendant leads us to my father's halls,' thought Vana as they entered Mirkwood at a trot. 'Otherwise, there is no safety for us while we are here.'

[Edited on 17/2/2004 by ithillinde]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 05:44
((Nudge, nudge))
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 12:48
((Is nudged)) ((Forgive the absence ))

The days were dark and seemed to last forever. Vanalosswen warned them not to become seperated, that none of them not even the other elves should wander as it was easy to become lost in these woods. In fact it seemed to Willow unwelcomed visitors were meant to become lost. They did not follow any trail as the hobbit lass could discern, but their guide seemed sure and they had the silver sliver on the pendant stone to point them also.

It was difficult to find sleep in this place, even though the night was black. Or perhaps because the night was black it was hard to sleep. One could not tell for sure if their eyes were open or shut really. Worse their stomach growled and pinched, all their supplies were gone. Only the few personal items the orcs had salvaged from the cave in and that they had upon their person at the time of capture were returned to them. All those sets of repaired and warmer clothes... all the food and supplies gone and no way near to replenish them.

Willow looked at the old dwarf. He sat by the fire clutching his axe, and turning at every odd noise, which was every noise. Nothing seemed natural in this place, more and more she began to doubt that elves could life in a place like this. As they traveled along however things did change. Not so much that the casual observer would notice mind you but for one thing Vana caught for them a deer. Oh it was fantastic to have meat and even though the meat seemed somehow off they all ate their fill. Then it seemed the trees were not so close together, and not so twisted in feel or in sight.

By nature most Hobbits were not fond of trees. Such large things tended to make them feel smaller than they liked, and there were always dark things lurking in forests. Not to mention the happenings along the border of the old forest. Willow shivered. Unlike most Hobbits she was actually quite fond of trees but the twisted shapes they had been picking a trail through the past while even gave her pause.

Soon enough (or rather in the minds of our travelers not soon enough) there came to be little twinkling breaks in the canopy. Here and there tiny golden rays of light pierced into the darkness. The trees were tall and proud and there was cool moss growing. Surely if any elves lived in this fearsome place they must be drawing near.

Almost as those thoughts formed in her mind they were surrounded by arrow points. Yes, there were elves in Mirkwood and Willow and her worn little crew had just stumbled upon them.

Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 03:09
Vana led the way confidently through the forest, her eyes seeing the trail markers that marked the best path through these trackless woods. Under the dark shadows of the trees, she quickly lost track of days and times, but she guessed that she brought down the deer that the company so enjoyed about the third day, and on the fourth they were in the safer North, where Willow and the hobbits looked more at home.

All along the way, Vana had seen traces of other elves, though she didn't draw it to everyone's attention, and she guessed that her kinsfolk had followed the company carefully all the way from the border.

As the travelers turned a blind corner, Vana's senses prickled, indicating danger, and as they confronted the arrowheads, Vana had her own bow ready.

"Sidh!" she called once she recognized the elves that made up the main company. "Im Vanalosswen Thranduiliel*." She lowered her own bow and put the arrow back in her quiver. "Have things grown so dark that my people are more likely to shoot travelers than to avoid them?" she inquired dryly, still in Elvish, noting that the elves were lowering their bows.

Translations-
Sidh- Peace.
Im Vanalosswen Thranduiliel- I am Vanalosswen, daughter of Thranduil.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: March 11, 2004 05:47
Willow and her fellow Hobbit gasped and she felt Rillan pull her behind him protectively. Vana spoke to the Elves and they lowered their bows.

"We shall never grow so blind we do not recognise our own, Vanalosswen Thranduil daughter." A tall dark haired elf spoke in Sindarin only a hint of a smile on his face. "But your father is ever the strict one, as surely you recall." He looked around at the small, strange company. "You have brought us some interesting 'guests'." Then he spoke in the common tongue. "Please surrender your weapons and prepare to be brought before the King of the Woodland Realm."

Dwimor growled a bit but the promise of a good sticking with Elvish arrows did much to make him give up his axe. "You blasted Elves will be the death of me." He glowered at Narwa.

((Sorry its so short))
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2004 06:26
While calmly buckling off his sword belt, Andurion looked over his shoulder at Dwimor, a hint of a smirk on his face that remained for just a split second. "Careful what you say, Master Dwarf," he said, "One day, you might be glad for their company." Without leaving room for the Dwarf to respond, the Ranger turned and handed his long slim sword slowly, obviously a bit reluctant, to the Elf that stood before him, he then unsheated the dagger at his hip and handed the small blade over as well. He said nothing about the knife in his boot, as he did with the Fallowhides. He trusted the Mirkwood Elves to a certain point, but he did not trust their King enough to walk around completely unarmed. Thranduil was famous (or perhaps infamous) for his disliking towards other races, Men especially. And being the only Man in the company, Andy felt a little alone. He would almost rather go around the Halls and stumble upon some spiders along the way.

"That's all I have," he lied, holding up his hands meekly as the Elf before him gave him a good looking over, searching for perhaps more weapons. But the knife in his boot was small and hidden well; even an Elf would not be able to detect it with their bare eyes. He didn't meet the Elf's eyes but looked around, seeing that everyone else was handing over theirs as well.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2004 09:32
Vana watched as her companions' weapons were taken. Were it solely up to her, she would have bidden them to keep their weapons until the halls of her father, as more weapons aganist spiders and whatever else would be very handy, but the guards acted on the orders of her father and answered to him before her.

Watching her companions give up their weapons, mostly willingly, Vana was in the right position to note a lump in Andurion's boot as he turned. Turning her head slightly, Vana hid a smile as she realized what the lump had to be. Andurion was sneaky, she had to give him that, and he was resourceful.

Making him give up the knife did not even enter her thoughts; she was a ranger too, and she knew how prepared they liked to be in all occasions.

At last, everyone's weapons save Vana's were in the possesion of the guards, and the group headed toward the halls. Vana placed herself beside Willow and looked down at the pendant the hobbit held. It still pointed steadily toward the halls of the Wood Elf King, and Vana breathed a silent sigh of relief. They were not going out of their way...yet.
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2004 01:54
The trees of Mirkwood were dark and twisted causing eery shadows across the path. The noises didn't help much to ease the groups' uneasiness about the forest but Vana confindently led them on. The she-elf was startled when they were surrounded by arrow points thoguh she had been expeciting it.

Vana spoke to the elves surrounding them, and soon they were giving up their weapons before they could continued further.

Oneth glanced around at the Mirkwood elves warlily before giving up her sword, which was the only weapon she carried. When this was done They began again to move to the halls of Thranduil in a group. Wood elves in front and behind making guiding them to their home.

It seemed like ages they walked under the twisted dark trees till they finally came to the home of the wood elves.

[Edited on 3/12/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: March 13, 2004 09:50
Willow cast a sidelong glance to Rillan who looked equally as concerned as she felt. Beside them Ben and Rosie were holding hands and neither of them looked overly concerned. Willow's attention turned quickly back to Rillan as she felt him take hold of her hand. She looked down into his blue eyes and felt her heart skip a little. Yes holding hands did seem to make the apprehension clear a little.

Narwa looked at the mix of blone and dark haired elves with interest. Where he was from most elves were blonde. such dark hair as was on the apparent leader was very rare. He found himself reach an arm around Oneth protectively as they walked through the great stone gate. Several small startled noises came from the group of Hobbits as the gate pulled closed behind them with a loud resounding sound.

Dwimor gave the hall an appraising look and nodded his approval. "Good solid rock here. These Elves atleast have taste."

"And it was always my aim to gain the respect of a Dwarf." A cool voice spoke. "Vanalosswen my Daughter, who is this you have brought to my halls?" A tall, proud seeming elf stepped down from the dias and strode forward to welcome back his daughter. His hair was golden and he wore a crown of ripe berries as was his curome this time of year. His eyes held nothing but love for his daughter as he reached out and took her hand. His voice however was anything but pleased. "Who are these wanderers and what is their business that you would lead them here?" He looked down at the Hobbits curiously, he had never seen such creatures before.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 06:05
((Long, /long/ post....my apologies. It was fun to write, though!))

Vana pulled a slow breath in and released it as the company entered the Hall of the Wood Elf King. She had been born and raised here, and as they walked through the courtyard and into the throne room, memories hit her from every angle. Minute changes had been made in the years she had been gone, but overall, the hall remained unchanged.

She wondered, with a stab of apprehension, how her father would respond to the unusual company his daughter was keeping now.

She received her answer seconds later when Dwimor looked around and remarked in a fairly loud tone, "Good solid rock here. These Elves at least have taste." and her father descended from the throne he sat on with the cool words, "And it was always my aim to gain the respect of a Dwarf."

Vana flinched inwardly, wishing that for once Dwimor could have held his tongue. 'Right,' she muttered mentally as her father walked toward her. Love radiated in his eyes, blue like hers, as he looked on the daughter he hadn't seen in several human years. To an elf, that was supposed to be a very short time, but Vana could see in his eyes that he had missed her every day.

His voice, however, was cool when he asked, taking her weapon-worn hand, "Vanalosswen my Daughter, who is this you have brought to my halls? Who are these wanderers and what is their business that you would lead them here?" He looked down at the Hobbits curiously. He had never seen such creatures before. For that matter, neither had Vana until she left home.

Vana squeezed his hand firmly as she looked back at him. It took her a moment to gain her voice as she fought tears down. She had really missed her ada, she realized as she fought for control of her emotions.

Putting on her cool diplomat's mask, she regained control of her voice and said, "Ada, may I present Rosie, Willow, Ben and Rillian from the land of the Shire? It is a fair, peaceful land west of Imladris. In their speech, they are called hobbits, but to almost all else, they are halflings."

Turning to the other elves, she motioned them forward with her free hand as she said, "These are Oneth and Narwa. Oneth hails from the land of Lorien, and Narwa is a wandering elf." Turning to Dwinor, who had managed to remain quiet until now, she said, "This is Dwinor, who hails from the mountains close to here. (I hope that's right...)"

Vana paused as she looked at the last member of their party. Andurion looked more tense than she had ever seen him before, and Vana had the sinking feeling that he had heard of her father's reputation. "And this is Padfoot, a ranger of the North."

Looking again at her father, Vana explained their mission in as few words as possible, and he listened patiently until she was done. At last, when she had finished and was watching him with the quietly watchful gaze she had learned years ago, Thranduil sighed.

He knew that this small party needed aid. Based on Vana's tale, they had lost everything to orcs in the Misty Mountains and had only their weapons and the clothes on their collective backs. But he mistrusted any species other than elves, and he didn't like the look of the one called Narwa. Men in especial were on his blacklist, and he was famous for callous treatment of them. But...it was his daughter asking for aid.

At last, Thranduil met Vana's eyes again, and Vana's hopes rose slightly at the resigned expression in his eyes. "I must discuss with my councilors what to do," the Wood Elf king said in Elvish, deliberately trying to leave everyone but the elves out of the conversation, but Vana knew Andurion understood every word as her father continued, "Until we have decided what to do, guest quarters will be provided. Vanalosswen, please show them to the guest quarters."

With those words, the audience was over. Vana quietly translated what her father had said for the hobbits' benefit as they left the throne room.

Andurion was oddly quiet as she led them toward the hall of guest rooms. Opening each door as she passed, Vana quickly assigned them rooms, taking care to place them in rooms close to hers, then said quietly, "After you are settled, we can counsel together while we eat in my chambers, just down the hall. Knock before entering, please."

With that, she left them with the warning not to leave that section without her and went to her chambers. Once there, she locked the door and removed her weapons. Going through her wardrobe, she grabbed a clean set of clothes and changed quickly, wishing for a bath and wondering if she could go to the bath house later with Willow, Rosie and Oneth.

Once she finished, she put her chambers back in order and set glasses of juice and wine on the table in her study. Drinks taken care of, Vana pulled on a bell cord that summoned a serving maid. She came quickly and left with orders to bring a sturdy meal for thirteen to the princess' chambers. There were only nine in the group, but Vana knew how hungry hobbits could eat. All in readiness, Vana waited for her company to come.

[Edited on 15/3/2004 by Vanalosswen]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 06:44
((I am taking a liberty and bringing an elf to tend to poor Rosie's ankle. By the way, Willow, how was she walking a moment ago? :evil: We'll say Oneth was taking a turn, neh?))

It took a few minutes to arrange the Hobbit's rooms, but they finally got settled in a sort of suite with a sitting room. There were two bedrooms, but Rillan, like a gentle-hobbit, said he didn't mind sleeping on the rather nice sofa in the sitting room, leaving one room for Willow, and one for the "love-birds". Oneth layed Rosie gently on the sofa and went to see to her own room, and a solemn elf came in, carrying a basket.

"Who is the wounded?" he asked quietly, and Rosie (not knowing what else to do) raised her hand.

"Padfoot said my ankle is broken." she commented as the elf-healer kneeled by the couch and took the make-shift splint off. She winced as it moved a little, and Ben squeezed her hand comfortingly.

Ben watched as the elf deftly examined Rosie's ankle, with minimal winces and gasps from Rosie herself. He produced a paste from his basket, and smoothed it on the swollen appendage.

"It is indeed broken, Little One." The elf said kindly. "This paste will help with the pain and the swelling." He took Rosie's ankle and gently moved it into alignment. Rosie gave a little cry and squeezed Ben's hand even harder. The elf-healer wrapped her ankle and splinted it quickly. Ben saw tears in Rosie's eyes as she bit her lip, trying not to make a sound. Finally, the elf stood, and Ben climbed onto the sofa next to Rosie, and held her and stroked her hair.

Rosie snuggled welcomely into Ben's chest as he wrapped his arms around her.

"There now, it wasn't so bad." he said softly in her ear, and kissed her forehead. "Now we just have to wait for dinner!" Rosie smiled up at her husband, her Abbannalis.

"That won't be so bad." she whispered back. Willow smiled at her from across the room, and the two shared a look that only friends can decipher. "Isn't love wonderful?" it said.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 07:27
((Vana don’t you ever again dare to apologise for such a great post! The longer, the better! ))

As they were brought before King Thranduil, Andurion had once again fallen back to the rear of the company, but this time it was because of different reasons. Perhaps if he stayed at the back he wouldn’t be noticed… or at least wouldn’t stand out as much. He knew very well the stories that circulated amongst the elders of the family, and though perhaps not everything of it was true, the general idea remained unchanged; Thranduil was not the most kind person to other races but his own. Men especially did not have his favour.

Vanalosswen started introducing the company and Andurion tensed, for several reasons. He silently prayed she would not forget his cover name and, which was perhaps more important, his Highness would be so courteous as to at least give them a chance to explain their story. Much to his relief, both of these wishes were granted.

As they followed Vana to the guest rooms, Andy was silent, brooding over the King’s words, analysing every look on his face, every flinch of his muscles. When he was alone in his room and the door was closed, he let out a heavy sigh and closed his eyes, running a hand through his tangled hair. There was a chance things might turn out better than he had expected.

He walked further into the room and took off his cloak and leather overcoat, throwing them on the bed. As he did so he felt a painful tingle in his arm but paid no heed to it, having grown used to it these last few days, carelessly forgotten what it was that caused the pain. He searched through his various pockets, hoping he would find something to help him relax a bit, but found nothing much. He glared at the few items he had conjured up from his pockets and now lay sprawled out over the bed; his pipe, an empty piece of parchment and a dark green clean piece of cloth (in case of injuries that needed to be wrapped immediately).

No pipeweed. He had lost it along with his pack in the caves.

But, he reasoned after a few minutes of sulking, smoking in Thranduil’s halls would get him thrown out for certain. With another sigh he turned around, a little startled to find himself looking at his own reflection in a large mirror he had not noticed there against the wall before. He stepped a little closer, his brows creasing slightly. He had a few little cuts and bruises, mostly on the side of his face, his hair was such a tangled mess of black and dark brown he feared not even the strongest of combs would be able to get it straight, and also his beard was desperately in need of shaving.

He pulled the small pocket knife from in his boot and carefully set to it, his hands nimbly following the curves of his jaw. He knew every inch of this part of his face by heart, after so many times he would even be able to do it without a mirror, but he was not willing to risk anything now that he only had his pocket knife at his expense. Albeit small, the thing was razor-sharp. He didn’t shave off everything but kept a little stubble, as if to defiantly remind the people around him that he was a Man. And of course there was again the pocket-knife thing; he wasn’t going to risk cutting himself any more.

((have pity on the Elven servant who finds the remnants of this on the floor :evil: ))

But even though the Ranger worked carefully and concentrated, he could not keep his right arm from trembling slightly. He didn’t realise it in time, only when he felt the blade drawing blood did he know he would really have to take a look at that arm. With a soft muttered curse, he dropped the knife on the small table next to the mirror, pressing his fingers against the cut to stop the bleeding quickly. With his free left hand he quickly rolled up the sleeve of his right arm, wincing when he saw the long cut running from his wrist almost down (or up, depending on which way you look at it) to his elbow. He slowly stretched out the injured arm in front of him, turning it a little to get a better look. It wasn’t anything serious, he noted with relief, but it was annoying to say the least. He’d have to try and switch more to his left arm for fighting for now, in order to have it heal faster.

He shrugged it off for now and after wiping his knife clean on the hem of his shirt he put it back in his boot, taking care to hide it as best as possible. He put on his overcoat again, but left his cloak on the bed. He rolled up the left sleeve of his shirt (to compensate) and after a few minutes of frustrated finger-combing, he also had his hair in a slightly more presentable way. He briefly wondered if he should do something to keep it out of his face, but decided against it, too lazy at the moment.

He took one last look in the mirror. Dishevelled, filled with little cuts and bruises (most of which were still a result from the cave-in) but most of all; himself. He smiled and exited the room, deciding that maybe some company would do good for his current state of mind. There was a certain tension in the air, and he did not have to think twice of what caused it. Closing the door behind him softly, he walked down the hall, taking more care to walk silently than he normally would have done when inside. It was deadly quiet in here and he had the feeling every step was heard pounding through the halls all the way to where Thranduil would right now be sitting - talking with his councillors. He reached the door to Vana’s room (hopefully - if he had remembered correctly) and knocked gently on it, waiting for a response.

[Edited on 15/3/2004 by LadyRanger]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 03:35
(:blush: Yes'm...)

Vana looked up from the book she had grabbed to occupy herself when a soft knock came at her door. Dog-earing the page she was on (a shameful fault of mine), the elf got to her feet and opened the door, expecting either the serving maid or one of the elves in her company. She was surprised to see Andurion, though she supposed she shouldn't be.

"Hello, Padfoot," she greeted him, stepping back from the door. "Come in, please."

As the human did as she said, Vana observed him with eyes that saw beyond the surface. She saw his weary face, which was covered with bruises and a few fresh cuts, his tangled hair that flopped becomingly over his forehead and the way he held his right arm. Closing the door behind him, Vana motioned him to a seat at the table and asked, "Is there anything I can get for you?"

He declined (hope you don't mind me telling you what to do with your char., LR) as he took the offered seat. Vana sat in the seat beside him and asked, daring to use his true name for the first time, "What happened to your arm, Andurion?"

He looked at her, startled, before he shrugged. "Tis nothing," he responded, moving his arm under the table. Vana didn't miss the wince of pain as he did so and gave him a glare worthy of Lord Elrond.

"There is something wrong, Andurion. Show me your arm." Vana's glare brooked no resistance as she extended her hand.

[Edited on 16/3/2004 by eldir]
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 09:08
((needn't worry about these little things. As long as you don't go around writing rubbish that doesn't stay true to his character ))

The use of his right name startled Andurion somewhat, and he looked at Vana, meeting her eyes. Probably she had been wanting to ask the question for a pretty long time. He, however, was not into any of all this and shrugged. "Tis nothing." He moved his arm under the table to hide the injury from her but as he did so he brushed the wood and couldn't help a small wince. She noticed.

"There is something wrong, Andurion. Show me your arm."

"There's nothing wrong," Andy protested again, but the glare she gave him made him sigh in defeat and he carefully brought his arm back above the table, holding it out to her. She gently turned it around to view the cut, and Andy kept his eyes locked on her hands, his brows creased in slight annoyance but his face devoid of any other emotions.

"Where did you get this?" Vana asked. Andy shrugged wordlessly. She looked up and gave him another one of her looks.

"The cave-in, I think," Andy said casually. He tried to pry his arm from her grip. "Really, I'm fine. It's just a scratch."

[Edited on 17/3/2004 by eldir]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 02:16
Vana held onto Andurion's arm tightly as he tried to pull away. "Andurion, you stubborn human," she said with a soft laugh. "We need every sword arm. Are all humans as stubborn as you and Estel, I wonder? Now hold still!"

Closing her eyes, Vana gathered her strength about her. Many people, even those she knew well, didn't know about this particular gift of hers, but Vana had a strong healing gift. It was costly; she didn't do it for Rosie's ankle because she needed her strength for fighting; but here in her father's house she could rest in safety, so she dared use it.

Placing both hands on Andurion's arm, Vana allowed some of her gift to flow through her hands. Behind he eyelids, she could see muscle and skin knitting back together in proper alignment. She held on until the wound was closed, then she released both the magical and real hold on Andurion's arm.

She swayed, white-faced, and she was fortunate she was sitting or else she would have fallen. Clutching the edge of the table, Vana breathed deeply, regaining her balance.

[Edited on 18/3/2004 by eldir]

[Edited on 24/3/2004 by Vanalosswen]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 06:14
Willow winced in sympathy for her dear friend as the elf tended her wounded ankle. But she gave a wistful smile back to Rosie at the look she gave when all was done. Willow then moved over to the couch where Rillan was sitting and whispered. "Do you know why they gave us two rooms?"

He looked up and smiled, thinking she had asked because she was confused. "I reckon they expected ben and myself to take one and you lasses the other." He placed his hand on hers and smiled over to his brother. "Never you mind though I don't mind sleeping out here." He looked around and gave a tentative bouce on the Sofa. "It'll be warm enough and this is really very comfy feeling."

Willow sighed and reached over pulling at one of his brown curls playfully. "You know that elves merely by looking at another elf can tell if they are married?"

Rillan's brow furrowed wondering if that applied to Hobbits, then truely wondering why the Elves had given them two rooms. "No, I didn't realise... With Hobbits as well?"

Willow nodded blushed furiously before she began again. "Yes, I expect so." Honestly she didn't know and his theory on the subject could be more than right. She had come to the realization however that Rillan was enough a gentlehobbit to stay in a state of engagement for an indefinite amout of time. Recent occurances however made Willow come to terms with the fact their time could be drastically finite.

Rillan's big blue eyes widened just a little, "But..." He too turned red.

"Married in spirit," She smiled down her green eyes full of nothing but love.

He calmed visibly and smiled also, taking her hand more firmly and leaning up placed a kiss on her cheek. Just then a magnificent smell came under the main door. "Oh supper!" Abbanallis called and giving Rosie one last kiss in her curls before leaving to open the door.

He reached high and flung it open then looked back at them perplexed. "But..." He peeked around the doorframe and saw a large cart filled with food rolling towards another door nearby. Vanalosswen opened the door, and seeing Ben peering hungrily at the cart she smiled softly and nodded.

"Come along Rosie!" He grabbed the cut down stick the healer had left to help Rosie hobble around. He then reached carefully but firmly around her waist and helped the much taller Hobbit to her foot and balanced her on the stick. "Dinner's in Vana's rooms so vana's room is were we'll go." He smiled and motioned Rillan and Willow to follow quickly. "Come along I'm starved!"

[Edited on 3/18/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2004 05:43
((Two things here aren't my ideas...the name of Thranduil's wife and the name of the counsellor. I got those from the Mellon Chronicles, all credit to Cassia and Siobhan. Another long post...I think Mirkwood spawns those easily...or perhaps it's because Mirkwood is Vana's old home stomping grounds.))

Vana lifted her head as she heard the sounds of a cart rolling down the hall. "That will be dinner," she said, breaking the silence that had fallen over the two. "Excuse me for a moment..."

She got up, gripping the edge of the table for balance, and walked toward the door once her protesting head had settled down. Opening the door, she saw the cart coming, rolling steadily toward her door, but she also saw Ben looking hungrily at the cart headed for her. She didn't need to be able to read minds to know that he was wondering if that food was for them. She smiled softly and nodded.

She heard a whoop of joy and grinned as she helped the servant wheel the cart into her rooms and set up the food on the tables. She wondered absently where Dwinor, Oneth and Narwa were, but didn't worry too badly. They would probably come to the smell of food, as the hobbits had, and then they could discuss their plan of action.

Vana sighed as her mood went black. She honestly didn't know what to expect from her father and his council. There were many on the council, she knew, who were extremely xenophobic ((scared of people not like them, for those who don't know)), and they would protest giving aid to a group that included a man, a dwarf and hobbits, plus the fact that both Oneth and Narwa were from other places besides Mirkwood. But she also knew that there were cooler voices on the council that didn't fear outsiders and would be a good ballast for the fearful ones.

Vana's fears were well-founded.

Thranduil sat with his councilors and listened as two seperate and diametrically opposed groups argued back and forth. Rubbing his forehead, the king tried to listen to his own heart and his mind.

His heart urged him not to fling his daughter out without food and extra supplies, told him not to fear these newcomers. But his mind argued back that his daughter had not been wholly frank with him.

Who was that Padfoot, as Vana had called him, that he should hide his real name? This Padfoot had no regal bearing, no silent authority that marked him as someone who needed to be in hiding for safety's sake. Thranduil hated it when people did not tell him the whole truth.

"Your Majesty?" A quiet voice from his elbow intrupted the king's thoughts, and he turned to the councilor who had spoken.

"Yes, Elrynd?" asked the king, raising his thin golden eyebrows.

"We wait for your decision, sire." Elrynd passed him a sheet of paper that listed the arguments for and against supplying the newcomers. Thranduil looked them over carefully, noting some of his own thoughts written out.

One of the councilors had made a very good point, however, when he said that helping this group might help to heal the old bonds between the races. He had noted that in times past, Dwarves, Men and Elves from many different places had come and gone in Mirkwood when it had been Greenwood the Great, and perhaps it was time to return to those times.

Thranduil studied the paper a moment longer, tryng to organize his racing thoughts. 'What would my wife chose, were she in this situation?' he wondered silently, but he already knew. Elvewen had had a heart big enough to take in all of Middle-earth; she would have not only given them everything they needed, but she would have insisted that the odd little company stay in the Halls until they were fully rested and ready to move on.

At last, Thranduil rose, the paper in his hands. "My decision is this; my daughter has always been free to come and go in Mirkwood, as is her wont as a ranger. Since she has championed the cause of the others she travels with, I will grant them what they need, and allow them to rest until their strength is fully recovered, for some were wounded. My decision is final. Thank you for your time and counsel. You are dismissed."

Thranduil left the room first, elegant robes trailing behind him. He would tell Vana in the morning, after the group had had a chance to rest.

[Edited on 23/3/2004 by eldir]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 03:13
Oneth entered her room setting her stuff down. She had the urge to fall on to the bed and sleep but she surprisingly did feel hungry. That was the first in the while. She made to ustrap her sword but rembered it had been taken by the group of elves who had surrounded them in the forest. She almost felt relieved.

Once the she-elf was ready, she renetered the hall-way. She came to Vana's room and hear the others' voices from otuside the door. She smiled slightly, it seemed the little ones were enjoying the food.

She knocked lightly, Oneth heard someone say come in from inside and she opened the door. Rosie, Willow, Rillan, and Ben were all eating thankfully for the good meal. Vana and Andurion didn't really seem too have touched their food nearly as much as the hobbits. Vana seemed worried. Oneth sat down nex to the she-elf.

"Sorry I'm late, I was about to miss dinner until I realized my stomach would not agree with me."

She looked at Vana silently for a moment.

"What are you worrying about?"she asked softly.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 10:44
Vana glanced at the other she-elf and smiled wanly. "I am concerned about my father's decision," she explained. "Many of his councilors do not like strangers, humans least of all. It is not so much for myself that I worry--Ada could not throw his daughter out with nothing--but what of the little ones?" She was speaking in quiet Elvish to disguise their conversation from the hobbits; there was no need to frighten them.

Looking down at her food, Vana's stomach reminded her that she had just used up a sizable amount of strength and she needed to replace it. Picking up her fork, Vana dug into her food, finishing it in record time.

"Where's Dwinor and Narwa?" she asked in Common, setting her fork aside. "We need to discuss what to do before we turn in for the night."
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 08:46
Narwa had noticed how the points of the star had followed Thranduil as he moved about the great hall. Noted how when he came close enough it glowed. The red elf had then examined the woodland king as closely as he could without calling over much attention to himself. The small ring he wore on one of his hands had a white stone in it that seemed to match the one they had already recovered.

This was going to be troublesome. He tried to think of what they could possibly do to get that ring. In the end he expected it would have something to do with a hasty retreat. He frowned and stuck his head out of his room. Food had arrived in Vanalosswen's room. Whatever they would do they must wait until Rosie was in better condition. She certainly couldn't run and he was doubly as certain they could not leave her behind.

To his amusment he found he didn't want to leave her behind. In fact he wondered if they could postpone the end of their journey. Maybe they _could_ just destroy the key. After all Narwa had never found a way to open the chamber without the key. Of course, even he had to admit there were many beings more powerful and knowledgable than he.

He went and knocked on Dwimor's door. "Come, I believe dinner has been served." And together they entered Vanalosswen's chamber.

[Edited on 31/3/2004 by Beleg_Strongbow]
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 08:59
Andurion sat quietly, keeping his eyes fixed on the food in front of him. The more he looked at it, the less hungry he felt. It was wonderful food, that wasn't the problem, he just didn't feel very well. He occasionally glanced at his arm, where the injury was now no more than a vague line only he could see, because he knew it had been there. He never was one to go well with Elven magic; it made him feel powerless, and that was perhaps the one thing in the world he hated most. To stand by helpless, not able to do anything.

He ate a little, if only out of politeness for the Elves that had prepared it so generously for them. Meanwhile he listened to the conversation between Vanalosswen and Oneth, feeling his appetite diminish at every word. Even though he knew Vana did not share her father's opinion about other races, the Dunadan felt small, like an unwanted little being, not yet thrown out but watched closely, as if it could do something dangerous any moment.

Finally, he set down his fork and lifted his head. The Halflings were still eating, Vana was finished, Oneth seemed to be too. Just as the Silvan Elf asked where the remaining two of their company were, there was a knock on the door and Narwa and Dwimor came in together. They were greeted and sat themselves at the table. Andy kept silent, giving them both a slight nod in greeting. Immediately he was lost in his thoughts again.

Tomorrow they would hear what Thranduil had decided, and Andy dreaded it. He knew he would not be able to stand any nasty comments about him being Human, no matter how small or subtle, no matter who they might come from. He could predict his response, knowing how horribly moody he could be, especially when he was not at ease or tired. Heaving a barely audible sigh, he leaned back in his chair a little. He couldn't change anything of that, not now, not ever. He would just have to get as much sleep as possible tonight and let tomorrow decide how things would go further.

As he waited for the others to finish their meal, he resolved to keep as much of himself as possible a secret to Thranduil, his knowledge of Sindarin most of all.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 09:36
Vana looked up with a smile as the red headed elf and the dwarf entered her chambers. "I was afraid you had chosen not to join us," she remarked, moving two more chairs into place and motioning them to sit. "Please, eat something."

Her eyes flicked from one member of her party to another, weighing their expressions. The hobbits were just concerned with eating right at the moment, Oneth was talking quietly with Narwa, Dwinor was eating and Andurion...a frown traced Vana's fine lips as she looked at Andurion.

The human was leaned back in his chair, obviously concerned about something. "Andurion," Vana said quietly, leaning towards him. "Are you all right?" She knew his wound didn't trouble him anymore; she had closed it too completely to cause anymore problems.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 12:15
((Sorry to steal your convo, Vana. :love: No hard feelings? I think Rosie needs to talk about this with him.))

Rosie looked up as Narwa and Dwimor entered the room. She smiled at the elf and was about to continue eating the soup that was currently in front of her, when she noticed something was wrong with Andurion. Vana was looking at the ranger with a concerned expression, and he was looking...upset. Rosie watched as Vana leaned in and said something quietly. Andy replied, then stood up and left the room with a nod to the company. Rosie frowned. She recognized the expression on his face.

"I'll be right back, love," she whispered in Ben's ear and hobbled slowly out the door. She heard Ben reassuring Willow and Narwa that everything was fine, and she went out into the hallway. "And--er...Padfoot?" she asked the figure leaning against the wall. The ranger straightened a bit, and looked over to her.

"Oh, hello Rosie." he tried to sound worried. "You shouldn't be walking more that you need to."

"I needed to." Rosie hobbled over and leaned against the wall next to him. "You don't like being looked down on for being different, do you?"

"I...don't think anyone does," he answered after a pause.

"Back when I lived in the Shire," Rosie said conversationally, "I was looked down on for being tall. And for loving adventures." She sighed. "It still bothers me, you know. I'm only 19. I...I should be home, learning to cook. Having fun. I'm not even a tween, yet!" she slammed her hand against the wall, forgetting, for a moment, that she was talking to Andurion. She blushed a little. "I'm sorry. I've just...never really ever talked about it."
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 10:50
((after waiting about two days for dear Rosie to come online, I can finally bring thee - corridoor conversation! Thanks Rosie for Rosie's part and the one sentence from Ben ))

"Andurion," Vana said quietly, leaning towards him. "Are you all right?"

"Just tired," the Ranger replied in a murmur. "Excuse me for a moment," he said softly, standing up from his chair. "I need a little fresh air." With a nod at the company, he quickly left the room. He wasn't going to bother Vana with his thoughts on her father - she no doubt knew the tales. With a sigh he leaned against the wall in the corridoor, not hearing the door open again as Rosie came after him.

"And--er...Padfoot?"

Andy straightened and turned around. "Oh hello Rosie," he said, glancing briefly down at her ankle. "You shouldn't be walking more than you need to."

"I needed to." Rosie hobbled over and leaned against the wall next to him. "You don't like being looked down on for being different, do you?"

Andy frowned a little. Was he really that easy to read? "I...don't think anyone does," he answered after a pause.

"Back when I lived in the Shire," Rosie said, "I was looked down on for being tall. And for loving adventures." She sighed. "It still bothers me, you know. I'm only 19. I...I should be home, learning to cook. Having fun. I'm not even a tween, yet!" she slammed her hand against the wall, then blushed a little. "I'm sorry. I've just...never really ever talked about it."

Andurion looked down at Rosie and gently placed his hand on her shoulder. "It's all right," he said softly. "Maybe you should talk about it. I'm here to listen."

Rosie smiled a little, trying very hard not to cry or act childish. "Do you know that Hobbits aren't considered adults until they're 33?" she began.

Andy's eyebrows raised. Though he had never really learned the ways of the Halflings, this was certainly surprising. "Thirty-three?"

Rosie nodded. "Ben has only just reached that point. Wil and Rillan are tweens - in their twenties, that is - and I'm just..." she trailed off and took a few deep breaths. "My father was so ashamed of me for being so unrespectable. Respectable Hobbits don't ever have adventures or do anything unexpected." she laughed a bit. "And I was always doing unexpected things."

Andy smiled a little. "He will get over it, I'm sure," he said. "Maybe he just needs a little more time to see that unexpected isn't always a bad thing."

A tear threatened to spill down Rosie's cheek. "He's had three years..." she whispered.

"My parents needed four," Andy said, squeezing her shoulder gently.

Rosie looked up at the young ranger's kind face and burst into tears. Since the first night, when she had found herself alone locked outside her house, she hadn't cried about it. She barely reacted when Andy knelt down and wrapped his arms around her. She just wept all the tears she'd kept inside for so long.

Ben peeked his head out the door and caught sight of his young wife crying. He ached to know what was wrong, but he looked at Andurion and realized that for now, the ranger could better handle the situation, and he quickly went back into Vana's room.

Andurion gently stroked Rosie's back, trying to soothe the upset Hobbit. "Hush, Rosie," he whispered softly, "it's all right. You're with us for now, and we'll never look down at you for doing something unexpected." He pulled back and looked at her, smiling reassuringly. "In fact, that's exactly why we love you."

Rosie sniffled a little and smiled. "So, you like it when I do stuff like that, eh?" she threw her arms around Andy's neck and gave him a (rather little sisterish) kiss on the cheek. "Carry me back in?" she asked angelically.

Andurion laughed and carefully lifted the Hobbit into his arms. "Very well. But only because I can't have you hobbling around with that bad ankle of yours," he teased.

Rosie giggled a little, then looked happily at Andy. "Padfoot? Thanks for listening."

Andy smiled at her. "Anytime, Rosie." He reached down and grabbed her crutch from the floor, then carefully carried her back into Vana's room. As he sat her down on her chair, he gave Ben a reassuring smile, letting him know all was well.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 12:24
((Hyper!! *Is Meaglin the cute rabbit with lots of Cadbury Eggs!*))

Rillan sat back in his chair and patted his abdomen. It was much smaller than it had been but after this meal he felt the need to loosen his belt a notch. He smiled over at Willow who tried to smile back but it came out as a yawn. She blushed and quickly covered her mouth with the back of her hand.

"Come on Abbannalis, let's help Rosie back to the room." Rillan hopped down from the chair and patted Ben on the shoulder. As the other Hobbits gathered themselves Rillan continued with the formal goodbyes. "We would like to thank you Miss Vanalosswen for arranging this meal." His smile widened into a grin. "Much better than Mirkwood squirrel, I dare say." Next he said good night to the other Elves and Dwimor. "Padfoot." He nodded to the ranger, then helping Rosie to her feet even though she continued to insist she could manage by herself just fine.

Willow had noticed that Andurion had been quieter than usual and looked decidedly more worried than usual. The talk he and Rosie had outside of the room however seemed to raise his spirits a bit.

The Hobbits went off to their connecting rooms and from there seperated again. Rosie and Ben to one room, a blushing Rillan and Willow to the other.

In the morning they once again took their meal as a group in Vanalosswen's chambers. Inspite of having stuffed themselves completely the evening before the four Halflings ate as though they had just arrived. Everything tasted so good. No it wasn't hearty Hobbit home cooking. And it was different from the delicate fare they had been introduced to in Rivendell. It was much more... well Willow didn't have a really good way to put how it was different. It was what you'd expect Woodland Elves to eat. Sweet wines, fresh nuts and forest picked berries, nice, spiced meats cooked over an open flame. Delicious and refined, yet still wild and earthy.

Willow watched Andurion and began to worry a little about him. He seemed distracted. And Narwa... he looked entirely too thoughtful. As much as she was growing to like the mysterious Elf she knew better than to trust fully whatever plans he was making in his head.

Soon they were called to the main hall, to the throne room. There in all his grace and glory sat Thranduil. Very different she thought he was from Lord Elrond. Thraduil carried with him an air of pride that the other Elf did not have. Not saying Lord Elrond didn't have reason to be prideful, he just seemed to be completely at ease with what he was and his importance.

As they entered Thranduil nodded to his daughter, "You are all welcome to rest and recover in the hospitalitly of my hall." He looked at each of the strangers to see that they had the proper expressions of gratitude on their faces. A slight frown clouded his fair features when he noticed the Man seemed not to be paying attention.

Thranduil rose from his seat and took a step down the dias steps. "However, I expect everyone of you to respect the routine and order we have. Vanalosswen will be your guardian, for the duration of your stay in my home." He once again cast his gaze over the group and once again did not seem to be paying attention.

His frown deepened and a couple members of the ragged little motley band turned to look at what the Woodland King did. "As such I am sure you all understand the responsiblity you have to behave and not cast a poor light upon my daughter." This Man did not seem to think the words of Thranduil were worth his effort and attention.

He raised his voice when he spoke again, though it remained calm seeming. "Do we have an understanding?" Thranduil looked directly at the Man.... 'Padfoot.'
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 01:07
Vana laughed and stood to formally say good-night to the hobbits in answer to Rillian's good-night and thanks. She watched them go with more than a little amusement before turning to Andurion, Narwa, Oneth and Dwimor. "It would be a good idea for the rest of us to get some sleep as well. We have a long day before us tomorrow." Her eyes lingered on Andurion. He was not as troubled as he had been before Rosie talked to him. Vana wondered privately what they had discussed, but knew better than to ask. "Sleep well," she added.

The others took the hint from her tone and excused themselves for the night. Vana changed quickly into her sleeping gear and climbed into her soft bed after locking all the doors. She had been a ranger far too long to be completely comfortable anywhere, even in her own home.

The next morning dawned early, and Vana rose with it. As she had the night before, she ordered thirteen full meals in her bedroom for breakfast, and as the night before, the group at in her rooms.

After the meal, Vana excused herself for a moment. She knew how much rested on this audience with her father, and she wanted some private time to prepare for it. That time was all too short before a messenger knocked on her door and summoned the group to the audience hall.

Taking a deep breath, Vana led her little group down the halls into the main one. Her father sat on his throne at the end of the hall, and Vana could feel the weight of his prescence even from where she stood.

Everyone bowed or curtsied to the king, and he nodded his approval, his eyes resting longest on Vana and, behind her, Andurion.

"You are all welcome to rest and recover in the hospitalitly of my hall." Thranduil said without any preamble. Vana breathed a sigh of relief, and she looked at him with love and gratitude.

Thranduil rose from his seat and took a step down the dias steps. "However, I expect everyone of you to respect the routine and order we have. Vanalosswen will be your guardian, for the duration of your stay in my home." He seemed to be looking at something behind Vana, his slight frown deepening.

Vana risked a look back and saw the reason. Andurion was not listening. Fear spiked across her heart as her father continued, "As such I am sure you all understand the responsiblity you have to behave and not cast a poor light upon my daughter."

He raised his voice when he spoke again, though it remained calm seeming. "Do we have an understanding?" Thranduil looked directly at the Man.... 'Padfoot.'

'Valar,' Vana thought desperately. 'Make the ranger pay attention!'

Since her father was not speaking to her, but to her companions, Vana was not permited to answer by the rules of court practice. She hoped someone would take the cue...fast!
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 09:03
((*giggling in a horribly evil manner all the way through the last two posts*))

As they walked through the halls on their way to King Thranduil, Andurion walked behind Vanalosswen, keeping his footsteps as quiet as he could. He hadn't slept all that much last night, but enough to feel good, and though he had not said a word to anyone since the talk with Rosie yesterday, he was aware of what was happening around him. He just didn't pay heed to it. As they entered the main hall and approached the throne where Thranduil was seated, that changed.

They all greeted the King with respect - either a bow or a curtsey - and as he straightened, Andurion's eyes lingered on the King's hand. One of the long slender fingers was adorned with a ring, a small ring with a white stone set in it. Just as he recognised the stone and realised why Willow's pendant had pointed towards Mirkwood, his vision blurred suddenly. He blinked to clear it up, but that did not help. He was vaguely aware of the King standing up, but he was not the same Thranduil anymore. Around him was a cloud of darkness, and yet the stone in the ring shone like a small star. Thranduil walked down the steps of the dias and approached them, meanwhile muttering words in a language Andy did not understand. The Ranger wanted to take a step back, but found that he could not move.

The King had moved close enough for Andy to see through the darkness around him. He was not at all fair anymore. His skin was rotten and looked like it could fall off anytime. His eyes were sunken in deep and full of evil. A malicious grin appeared on his face as he reached out a hand --

At that moment, Andurion blinked again and the vision disappeared. King Thranduil was standing, but not so close - he was still on the steps of the dias. He was fair-faced once again and the jewel on his ring had turned a normal white stone. Andy wanted to sigh in relief but then he noticed with shock that Thranduil was looking at him expectantly. Clearly he had just spoken, but the Ranger had not heard the words. He wanted to sink through the floor right there and then, embarrased and angry at himself for ruining the one chance he had been given to prove he was just as worthy of the King's respect as any of the others. Vana was looking back at him and Andy met her eyes, giving her a desperate look. Thranduil cleared his throught ever so slightly and Andurion was forced looked back at the King, knowing he was not going to get away without answering. Praying to the Valar that he would give the right answer, Andurion quietly said the only two words he could think of in his distressed state.

"Aye, sire."
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 07:38
Vana let out a silent breath of relief as the ranger responded, in a voice not much higher than a whisper, "Aye, sire."

It was the right response, but Vana could see, looking at the man, that his thoughts were not here at all. Vana made a mental note to ask him about that later. For now...she turned her attention back to her father as he said, "Very well. Make a list of your needed supplies and present it to Vanalosswen to present to me. I will expect it within the week."

The tone of dismissal was hard to miss, and Vana pressed her hand over her heart, bowing her head to her father. The others took their cue from her and did the same.

As the group headed for the door, Thranduil's voice said, in Elvish, "Vanalosswen, return when you have escorted them to their rooms. I have need to speak to you."

Mouth dry, Vana turned and bowed toward her father, saying, "As you wish, my lord."

The group beat a hasty retreat from the throne room and headed for the rooms assigned to the unlikely companions.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 02:12
((short post, I know, but I found this thread all the way down on page 3! So don't shoot me too badly ))

Pleasantly surprised that he had indeed given the right answer, Andurion couldn't help a sigh of relief. He made sure to pay attention to Thranduil, but his mind was curently too busy trying to make sense of the vision. One thing he was sure of; the white stone in the King's ring was one of Willow's pendant, and they needed it. The big question was, how were they going to get it? Put it on their list of supplies? Andy laughed inwardly at the stupidity of his own idea. No, Thranduil would not be willing to part with it unless perhaps they had something in exchange for it.

As last of the group, he copied Vana's respectful bow and turned, following them out of the throne room.

But what did they have to offer that would interest his Highness Thranduil of Mirkwood, oh sorry, Greenwood the great?

Once they had left from Thranduil's sight, Andy could feel several eyes on him but didn't look up to meet them. No doubt Thranduil wanted to speak to his daughter about 'that Man in your company... it may be worth reconsidering his value to the group. A guide? Surely we Elves know our way around Middle-Earth... after all, we have lived here far longer than any of them Edain.'

Frowning slightly, Andy quickened his pace a little to keep up with the rest. The sooner they were out of here, the better. A few more days like this and he would drive himself crazy with his worries and frustrations.

((oh well, turned out to be longer than I had expected, hehe ))

[Edited on 17/4/2004 by LadyRanger]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 03:24
Oneth felt a slight sense of relief when the ranger finally replied to lord Thranduil. She had noticed Andurion had gone into thought and had not seemed to hear him. She had a feeling it was yet another one the ranger's visions.

He dismissed them to their rooms, except for Vana who was to come back as soon as she had escorted them to their rooms. Oneth slowed her pace slightly now walking beside Andurion, they rarely spoke so it was a surprise to her when she asked him.

She spoke in Elvish and her voice was low so atleast the hobbits would not understand, not wanting to worry them just yet. "What did you see?"
<< First910111213Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email