Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
Post Least Favorite Line from FOTR
on: July 17, 2002 11:15
Okay, we all have our favorite quotes. All of us. But what are the ones that make you cringe? The ones that make you say "Good GOD who WROTE that????" I can't imagine that any one of you liked EVERY single line from the movie. That's just impossible. SO SPEAK UP!!!

I suppose that I should go first...

When Elrond says "You shall be...The Fellowship of the Ring." I think that line is incredibly cheesy...

Now this line I don't really like because it makes me laugh EVERY time I hear it. The Crebain from Dunland line. We all know it. Funny..they look exactly like plain ol' birds to me...Now, I honestly can't remember if that line is in the book. I really don't think it is. If it wasn't..it prompts me to simply ask what the heck they there thinkin!

Another thing about the Crebain from Dunlad scene...When someone sees the birds and says 'what's that??' and Gimli says "oh, just a cloud.' ...... That thing looked nothing like a cloud. NOTHING...I don't know of too many clouds like move together in a hundred little pieces and look like they're flapping their little cloud-arms!!!!!*fumes* Looked like birds!
*takes a deep breath and counts to ten*

:angry: :angry: :angry:

So...That's just me! Now..like I said..I KNOW you guys had lines you'd just looooooove to cut out. I know it...you know it..we all know it!!

SO SPEAK UP!

[Edited on 18/12/2002 by Ringhilwen]
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
Post RE: Least Favorite Line from FOTR
on: July 17, 2002 01:46
Aragorn: "Let's hunt some Orc!"

:cry: What were they thinking when they wrote that?!? The future king of Arnor and Gondor, reduced to the speech of a... blood-thirsty bandit!...
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 17, 2002 03:08
Now this line I don't really like because it makes me laugh EVERY time I hear it. The Crebain from Dunland line.

LOL....check out those scenes from the movie in the gallery...you'll see some spiffy alternatives.

My least faves:

"If you want him, come and claim him!" (Sorry Arwen fans)....so of course they do! Sorry, but I would not be inviting those Ringwraiths into the water. Why add to your trouble? Yeah, I know some of you love this scene and I'll probably receive some ribbing, but I can't stand that line.

"What's he doing? Those wraiths are still out there!" Well, thanks for the update, Sam.

"No one tosses are dwarf!" So stop talkin' and start jumpin', shorty.

OK, now don't roast me, there's probably a line that you don't particularly like either...and I don't necessarily think I could write anything better! I'm posting this for the laughs!
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: July 17, 2002 03:27
Another thing about the Crebain from Dunlad scene...When someone sees the birds and says 'what's that??' and Gimli says "oh, just a cloud.' ...... That thing looked nothing like a cloud. NOTHING...I don't know of too many clouds like move together in a hundred little pieces and look like they're flapping their little cloud-arms!!!!!*fumes* Looked like birds!
*takes a deep breath and counts to ten*

That part wasin the book, though, even though a flock of birds looks nothing like clouds. Maybe dwarves just have really bad eyesight...
in the book, though

The whole part with the birdbath of doom was just wrong. The lines were okay, but how they were spoken was just plain bad.

"What's he doing? Those wraiths are still out there!" Well, thanks for the update, Sam.

lol! good one, Aowyn!
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: July 17, 2002 04:03
I've said it before and I'll say it again: my least favorite line is at Amon Hen, when Aragorn holds out his arms and says, "I swore to protect you."

The delivery was so poor; it didn't sound natural or convincing at all.
Hathaldir
Ent Enthusiast
Send Message
on: July 17, 2002 04:11
I didn't like the whole: "you have my sword/bow/axe" sequence. It could have been done differently and had better effect, because (to me) that whole set of lines (Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli) just oozes cheese. And cheeze cannot ooze unless it is CheezWhiz, which is just wrong in so many ways. :evil:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: July 17, 2002 08:28
mmm okay this is not so very hard:

Aragorn in Bree: Are you frightened? Not nearly frightened enough...
sounds like something from a cheap horror movie

Legolas at the Council: This is no mere ranger... yadayadayada (but I do love 'have a bath, Legolas'!!!)

Gandalf at Caradhras: Let the ringbearer decide...
urgh... I don't like the way he says that

Aragorn at Amon Hen: Let's hunt some Orc!
urgh! that is so very yucky ànd out of character! nope, me don't like it
Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 17, 2002 08:33
I've said it before and I'll say it again: my least favorite line is at Amon Hen, when Aragorn holds out his arms and says, "I swore to protect you."

The delivery was so poor; it didn't sound natural or convincing at all.

Man..I hear you. Right then I thought they were going to change the story and have Aragorn attack Frodo right then too. Or that Frodo was going to counter with "Well, Boromir swore to protect me too and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED THERE!!!!!"
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 01:13
Well as celeborns one liner has been picked to death in other places. I shall say second least favourite line is Gimlis eyes of a hawk and ears of a fox. I mean come on if he was that worried hed keep quiet right . . . It was just too obvious what was going to happen next.
Lord_of_Minas_Morgul
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 01:18
I have not the heart to tell you. For me the
grief is still too near. - Legolas

Oh common, that's such a stupid line!
Allis
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 03:12
have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still too near. - Legolas

But that is actually in the book...sort of.

I didn't like the whole: "you have my sword/bow/axe" sequence. It could have been done differently and had better effect, because (to me) that whole set of lines (Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli) just oozes cheese. And cheeze cannot ooze unless it is CheezWhiz, which is just wrong in so many ways

I second that, including the part about CheezWhiz. That stuff drives me batty! No matter what you do, it's always hard again by the time you get it to your broccoli. :angry:
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 03:17
Man..I hear you. Right then I thought they were going to change the story and have Aragorn attack Frodo right then too. Or that Frodo was going to counter with "Well, Boromir swore to protect me too and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED THERE!!!!!"

It was so obvious that it had been read; I half expected to find a folded script in Viggo's hand.

He says another line almost immediately after that one that makes me cringe, too: after Frodo pulls out Sting and sees it glowing blue, Aragorn holds out his hand desperately and says, "Run. Run!" The hand/arm gestures bother me.

[Edited on 18/7/2002 by Parmadur]

[Edited on 18/7/2002 by Parmadur]
Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 11:10
I have not the heart to tell you. For me the
grief is still too near. - Legolas

Oh common, that's such a stupid line!

And ironically..one of my favorites..

Okay, this really doesn't fit, because there's really no line said here, but while I'm on the subject of things that irritate me...when Frodo's about to go to Mordor alone with same (?...) and he's just standing on the bank with his hand outstretched looking at the ring. I don't understand. NO COMPRENDO!!! *ahem*
And this bothers me more in the previews for LOTR than in the movie, but they always tend to show the line where Legolas says "The Ring must be destroyed!"

Well THANK YOU Captain Obvious for that STUNNING report!! I mean..I bet you can ask any little 3 year old:
"Hi, little boy/girl. There's this ring that has the power to kill people and make an entire world slaves..what should we do with it?" and the little kid will say "Get rid of it" (unless the little kid is VoS or LOMM or any of their following..) The entire point of the book is to get rid of the ring. everyone knows this within two seconds of reading the book or watching the movie...WHY THE LINE?? :angry: :angry: :angry:
UtopiaEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 11:47
He says another line almost immediately after that one that makes me cringe, too: after Frodo pulls out Sting and sees it glowing blue, Aragorn holds out his hand desperately and says, "Run. Run!" The hand/arm gestures bother me.

The gesture bothered me also. It just didn't seem natural.

Completely agree with this one! I also thought they had changed this. Major confusion set in for a moment. Panicing in a movie theatre....not fun!
AragornSoSpunky
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 08:09
I dunno.. maybe it's because i am totally in love with Aragorn that i don't fine all of those things annoying.. just cute... hmmmm *thinks*

well i know something that does bother me.

ok you know when ever there (the 4 hobbits) are running away from the Nazgul.. guess whos at the back?????? :angry:yes it's the most bloody important one.. and every single time i've seen it i just want them all to stop and think about it,,

o and "I think we should get off the road" (ok that doesn't bother me.. but this does

"GET OFF THE ROAD" i'm sorry to all the Frodo fans out there but COME ON,, that is such a girly pitch!!!!!.

Natika (stands back and breathes) few
she_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 08:30
Aragorn: Hide!
he looks so funny!

Gandalf: Sar-u-mon
Does he have a speaking problem? Why does he -say-each-syllable-one-at-a-time-? :angry:
It drives me nuts!(but don't get me wrong, I looooooooove LOTR)

Strider: You draw far to much attention to your self MR. UNDERHILL!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Gimli: Nothing! It's Just a whisp of cloud.
He could of done sooooo much better on that line.

Celeborn: Eight there are here yet nine set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desired to speak with him.
The first part of the line was alright besides the fact that I don't like Celeborn. But I HATE that he asks where Gandalf is. I don't know why, but that drives me CRAZY!

Galadriel: He has fallen into shadow.
AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :angry:
AragornSoSpunky
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2002 03:50
O when she says that... yes i hate that

he has fallen into the shado... whats wrong with that line... apart from all of it!!!!!

[Edited on 20/7/2002 by AragornSoSpunky]
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: July 19, 2002 10:58
well not much bothered me except Gimli's one line I'm not sure if this is exactly it but hey,

Gimil:Soon master Elf you'll be experiencing the hospitality of the dwarves, mult biel, and red meat right off the bone!

need I say more...ICK!

also another thing that bothers me is when they walk into Moria and Gandalf puts the light on his staff it takes them about two minutes before they realize that there's a whole bunch of skeletons right under thier nose's...sheesh!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 20, 2002 06:48
Haha, VoS...I think you mean "malt beer", though I must admit with Gimli's accent I sometimes have trouble making out what he says.
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: July 20, 2002 02:52
well...you never know...I think mult biel is actually something...it's not one of my made up words...like "hoyja-boyja!" or "holy Fruigenmuffens!" ....I do have alot of 'em though...*shrugs*
Morwinyon
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 03:31

Celeborn: Eight there are here yet nine set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desired to speak with him.
The first part of the line was alright besides the fact that I don't like Celeborn. But I HATE that he asks where Gandalf is. I don't know why, but that drives me CRAZY!

like YAY he can count! that line drove me beserk too :angry:
Orondo_Brandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 04:08

Okay, this really doesn't fit, because there's really no line said here, but while I'm on the subject of things that irritate me...when Frodo's about to go to Mordor alone with same (?...) and he's just standing on the bank with his hand outstretched looking at the ring. I don't understand. NO COMPRENDO!!! *ahem*

Actually, he's not looking at the Ring; we are. He's looking straight ahead, across Anduin, grieving for the loss and pain that the Ring has caused. He's struggling with conflicting desires: to "fling the Ring in the river and bolt", or to wield It, as It insinuates, or -- the hardest choice -- to refuse both and walk, alone, into Mordor, hoping but hopeless of destroying It before It destroys him. Frodo knows that this last choice is the correct one, but he fears to make it. I would, also.
Orondo_Brandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 04:16

While I think the line is not bad, Celeborn's delivery was...ugh!: stilted as ten-foot-tall clowns.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 09:11
I'd like to agree with about all of the lines brought up thus far, but add that... with the DVD due out today and the extended version out in a few months... I will hope that the voice-overs the cast is supposed to have done will remedy some of these odd spots in the dialog. It was such a GOOD movie anyway, I just can't pick it apart too much. It's like criticizing someone you love... and I'd rather ignore the faults than dwell on them.

:love: :heart: :love: I love this movie!! :love: :heart: :love:

bah! Spelling...

[Edited on 8/6/2002 by Elerrina]
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: August 10, 2002 02:59
In Orthanc:

Saruman: Whom do you serve?
Lurtz: Sarumaaaaaaaan.

Argh! :angry:
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2002 03:34
Here's the lines I hate:
(In Moria) Frodo: It's alright. I'm not hurt!

YOU SURE ACTED LIKE IT, BUDDY!

(Still in Moria) Gandalf: It's a Balrog!

That was Legolas' line, you thief!

(STILL in Moria)
Gimli: NOT THE BEARD!
What else was he supposed to grab you by, to keep you from falling?!
AryonaFiRE
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2002 06:01
Arwen: "i choose a mortal life."

HELLO! She didn't give him the time of day for what, 29 years!?

Arwen: "Where the others are, i do not know!"

Just the way she says this rubs me the wrong way!

Aryona FiRE
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 06:44
On Caradhras, after Legolas says, "There is a fell voice on the air," Gandalf says, "It's Sarumaaaaan!"

And also, when Gandalf first rides up to Orthanc, after Saruman walks down the steps, he bows his head and says, "Sa-ru-man."

Something about the way everyone seems to say his name bothers me.

[Edited on 12/8/2002 by Parmadur]
Untidy
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 08:40
When they walk into Moria, stepping over about a million body-like things and Boromir goes:
"This is not a mine. It's a tomb."

Oh, so they WERE bodies, thanks genius....

Also, everytime Legolas says: "Orcs!"
(I think that happens two or three times.)
I mean, it feels like they wanted to give him more lines (or words).

Also agree about Elrond saying "you shall be the fellowship of the ring."
Does not sound like Elrond.
I had the impression they wanted to justify/explain the title of the movie there.

Anyway, I still love the film.

Greetings.

sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 08:58
i didn't like bilbos line at the beginning
when he said oh right
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 10:39
didn't like bilbos line at the beginning
when he said oh right

yup i agree sam- that line just sounded strange. not very bilbo atall.
AryonaFiRE
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 11:01
Oh, how many times Bilbo said "Yes, yes."

Aryona FiRE
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2002 11:02
I hate Aragorn when he goes 'WHERE IS THE RING?!'....erm, doesn't even sound like his voice.
And sorry to any Galadriel fans, but I really dislike her in the film
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2002 02:19
I hate Aragorn when he goes 'WHERE IS THE RING?!'....erm, doesn't even sound like his voice.

i thought it also made him sound a bit evil :evil: :evil:
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2002 11:07
yes! totally!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email