Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Least Favorite Line from FOTR
on: November 30, 2005 08:09
Ok Ok time for me to defend some of these lines. Sorry, but I have to cause I liked them.

Welcome to Rivendell...

Frodo was still concious and coherant when Aragorn said "this is beyond my skill to heal...he needs Elvish medicine", because he called out to Gandalf, and Aragorn told him to "hold on." Frodo knows he'll be Ok if he can get to the Elves, and so does Elrond, and so does the audience. "Welcome to Rivendell" means "you're safe now."

"If you want him, come and claim him."

Arwen isn't being stupid at all. The concept of running water being a safeguard against evil is ancient and present in almost every native culture. Arwen knew the River would take care of the Ringwraith problem (at least temporarily), and also that they feared the water. She had to get them into the river. Taunting them like that was the perfect way to do it.

A flock of birds very far off does look like clouds if they are flying very close together.

As for Legolas being Captain Obvious...I even liked that. I hadn't read the books and sometimes had a very hard time keeping up with what was going on (it's a complicated story). Leggy helped me out a bit.

Ok, all that said, my least favorite line: "to bear a ring of power is to be alone." What the heck Galadriel? Such a wise Elf and she's giving the Ringbearer the wrong advice. He never would have made it without Sam. Bad call PJ.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 08:54
my least favorite:

1.) Whhheeeeerrrrreeeee iiiiiiisssssss Gaaaaaaaaandaaaaaaaalf? For I muuuuuuuuuch deessssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrreee tooooo sppeeeeeaaaaaak wiiiiiittttthhhhh hiiiiiiiiiiim.
:banghead:

I have to agree, that line is kinda annoying. Not the actual words just the way Celeborn pronounces them. Very good impression btw! It's almost as if the lines are very sloooooooow and the person is delibrately over pronouncing the words.

I think for most of us, it isn't actually the lines- more the way the actor says them, but I do have to defend that. If you were say Sean Astin- and you had to pull off a flawless British accent in every line you said, don't you think sometimes you might slip. I mean I know some people reckon they're really good at like Scottish or Irish accents (just examples I've heard today at school!) but they couldn't maintain that if they had 3 cameras pointing at them, and old fashioned wording of lines to say. I gotta say that I thought the accents in this film were really good and I thought the actors did very well. But that's just what I think.

One thing though, what is this about, "Give up the halfling, she-elf." Why say she-elf? I mean obviously Arwen is a she, and she is an elf but I don't think I hear anyone else in the films to refer to female elves as 'she-elfs'. Is it something from the book or???

Overall some lines just bug me cos of the fact some words are really over stressed and deliberately pronounced but apart from that I have to agree with a previous member who stated that the worst line of the movies was: the end!

Namarie,
~Arwen
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 10:28
One thing though, what is this about, "Give up the halfling, she-elf." Why say she-elf? I mean obviously Arwen is a she, and she is an elf but I don't think I hear anyone else in the films to refer to female elves as 'she-elfs'. Is it something from the book or???

It's not something from the books. I'm sure of that, and I also don't like it. It's trickled over into fanfiction and RPs as well and it just _bugs_ me, though I will admit to using it to 'keep the peace', as it's not worth quibbling over really.
my least favorite: 1.) Whhheeeeerrrrreeeee iiiiiiisssssss Gaaaaaaaaandaaaaaaaalf? For I muuuuuuuuuch deessssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrreee tooooo sppeeeeeaaaaaak wiiiiiittttthhhhh hiiiiiiiiiiim.

Heh. As amusing as this 'impression' is, I attribute the way that Martin Csokas said that to his being told to. In the books, Celeborn and Galadriel have very little contact with anyone outside of their little sanctuary, therefore, when they speak the Common Tongue, they do so like a non-native speaker, which would mean carefully and very slowly. Granted, that particular line seems to go a little bit overboard, but in that scene everything seems to be moving very slowly and I think it was for effect, as well as to make it seem like Celeborn didn't speak Westron all that often.

I know, I know. Most people won't agree because it's easier to just go, "Umm, what's his problem?", but I think it was done on purpose and for good reason.
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 10:59
I agree, Nienna; I think you have to look at those lines in context, and I think they work as they are. They fit with the speed of the scene and also with the whole mood - it's almost as if actually he doesn't really want to know where Gandalf is, because he knows it can't be good.

Ok, all that said, my least favorite line: "to bear a ring of power is to be alone." What the heck Galadriel? Such a wise Elf and she's giving the Ringbearer the wrong advice. He never would have made it without Sam. Bad call PJ.

Since you defended all the other ones, Morna... I have to defend this one! I understand where you're coming from, but I think Galadriel means it in the sense that nobody else, i.e. Sam, can truly understand what Frodo is going through. It's not that other people can't help, because they can in terms of support, but they can't truly share his suffering.

Offhand I can't actually think of anything I particularly dislike in FOTR... hmm... shall have to think about that one!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email