Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Least Favorite Line from FOTR
on: November 08, 2002 11:24

...When someone sees the birds and says 'what's that??' and Gimli says "oh, just a cloud.' ...... That thing looked nothing like a cloud. NOTHING...I don't know of too many clouds like move together in a hundred little pieces and look like they're flapping their little cloud-arms!!!!!*fumes* Looked like birds!
*takes a deep breath and counts to ten*

:angry: :angry: :angry:

ROFL....good one! and ..Nobody tosses a dwarf, pretty hilarious...

[Edited on 8/11/2002 by highlandergirl]
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 08, 2002 12:08
My least favorite line is Frodo to Sam: "I'm glad you're with me, Sam" because it's the last line of the movie, and that means it's over! :cry::cry::cry:

I am so not bothered by any of the lines that obviously tick others off. I loved the first movie and thought the writing and dialogue was one of the strongest points. I'm used to reading really ancient literature like the Bible, so none of it sounds weird or strange to me.

The "Nobody tosses a Dwarf!" line was about the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. It is soooooooo Gimli, and they nailed him right on.
killjoy
Local Drunk, & Guru Swami Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 01:05
uuum...yeah, tuff question...

mebbe when Elrond at the council says "you have only one choice..." mebbe it's just me, but his intonation sounds like he's about to hock up a hairball....

also the way Elrond/Hugo says 'Mordor' and 'doom' sometimes...over-rolling the 'r' s and making his voice really really low so 'doom' comes out as 'dum' ('u' as in 'uber').....i'm sure he does it/was told to do it just to make himself sound fluent/dramatic/important but really it's just making him sound like a moron. (sorry Hugo fans! it's only on occasion! other than that he's a fantastic casting choice!!)
Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2002 06:29
Here are my most hated

"Baggins!? Sure I know a Baggins! He's over there, Frodo Baggins. He's my second cousin. Once removed on his Mother's side..."

ARGH! SHUT UP PIPPIN!:angry:

"Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing."

Again ARGH! SHUT UP PIPPIN!:angry:
Zoe
Lemba Chef
Send Message
on: November 25, 2002 06:19
I don't really have any least favourite lines (except for maybe) but I do have a problem with their delivery.

1) Aragorn's sudden nasal problem at the Council. What's his problem? He's sounds like a nerd all of sudden. Was he intimidated by Boromir? Did his underpants get shrunk in the wash? Was he trying to disguise himself? Quite a contrast to his voice in all other parts of the film. Maybe the Hobbits pushed raisins up his nose while he napped.

2) Legolas getting all melodramatic at revealing Aragorn's identity at the council. "He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your allegiance, Boromir, he's heir to the throne of Gondor and I'm desperately in love with him!" Yeah, Legolas was kinda touchy when discussing Aragorn, I mean, why's it a big deal to some elf from Mirkwood?

3) The way Hugo Weaving seemed to wallow in the reverberation of his own voice. I think he practiced at home saying "Doom!" over and over. Then did eyebrow push-ups. Then practiced sweeping arm gestures.

4) Okay, not a line but...that ugly font used for the Sindarin translation. It was horrid! Why couldn't they use a nice Celtic looking one? Or even a condensed Helvetica? It looked super corny super-imposed over Arwen.
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2002 12:31

2) Legolas getting all melodramatic at revealing Aragorn's identity at the council. "He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your allegiance, Boromir, he's heir to the throne of Gondor and I'm desperately in love with him!"

*falls off her chair laughing*

You're hilarious!

and about that 'have a bath' line...I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what you guys meant, and then it just hit me and I started laughing out loud! I'm gonna have to wtach that scene again now. Again and again and again...

So, bad lines. Hmmm...

This isn't a line exactly, but at the beginning when Frodo is leaning against the tree and hears Gandalf, and the camera zooms right in on his face, his expression slowly transforms into this maniacal grin. It freaks me out!

No-one has said this one yet, but Frodo's "The Shire? Baggins?! But...that will lead them HERE!!" Really irritates me. It's like "Well done, Sherlock!"

Those lines "Where is Gandalf?" and Cate Blanchett's "He has fallen into shadow" are just ANNOYING! Not to mention laboured.

I personally didn't find Legolas's "For me the grief is still too near" line particularly convincing. He seemed fine about it when it happened, why is he pretending to be upset now?

At the council...

When Frodo says "I will take the ring!" his voice is suddenly deep and authoritative, but a second later he goes back to that breathy Marilyn Monroe voice with "Though I do not know the way". Get a spine, please!

Also, the way Boromir refers to Frodo as 'Little one'. Could he BE any more patronizing?

Later, when Strider says "This used to be the great watchtower of Amon Sul". Um, and the point of that line was....??

Urgh, another annoying Strider line; "I thought I had strayed into a dream". Pass me the sick bag!

In Moria...

Gandalf's "Let us hope our prescence will go unnoticed". Like THAT'S gonna happen!

Ooh, and the conersation between Gandalf and Frodo doesn't really make that much sense. Frodo says "I wish the ring had never come to me" and straight after Gandalf says "So do all who live to see such times". It doesn't follow on. They should have kept it how it was said in the book.

When Gandalf says "Run!" Why did it take him so LONG to say it? I was screaming at them to run five minutes before!

I think that's enough script-bashing for now...

Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: November 26, 2002 02:25
You know, I never thought this thread would catch on in the least when I started it...and looking back...I think 75% of the movie has been chosen as far as bad lines go :evil:

By the Way...Elrond sounds drunk when he says 'Strangers from Distant lands, friends of old...'
telpenoviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2002 02:55
i hate it when gimili disses the elves!: " never trust an elf!!!":angry::evil: and i really don't like it when bilbo sais:
"i feel stretched like butter scraped over to much bread." it annoys me, why do we need to know! we don't really care:angry: but i realy like that line at the fords of briunen! how could you diss it aowyn? that is by far my favorite most favorite!
~Eowyn~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2002 04:48
Definitely when Saruman starts shouting many things on the top of Isengard in hopes to raise a storm. Man! he didn't even pronounce that correctly. It's been proven at an Elven Linguist Society!

"Blah! blah! blah!" WHAT is his problem. Shut up!

*sorry, I just got carried away, but it's nothing short of the truth!*

Also when Gandalf says, "Saruman" when he meets that old fool. What does Mithrandir think he was doing? Gosh! Just flush Saruman down the toilet, for Pete's sake!
OlorinTheWhite
Wandering Istari
Send Message
on: December 07, 2002 04:21
I really liked most of the lines of the movie, though some lines and deliveries were just bad. oh and I laugh everytime at the Council of Elrond when Aragorn says "you cannot wield it". sounds like he's congested!
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: December 07, 2002 12:07

By the Way...Elrond sounds drunk when he says 'Strangers from Distant lands, friends of old...'

Haha Trig! That's the best laugh I've had all day!
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 07, 2002 02:55
Hmmm...least favorite lines...

"If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been".

that line always makes me want to push him...

Is there a favorite line thread? I have so many of those...
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: December 07, 2002 03:31
Yes there is Pip, and I just bumped it to the top so that no repeat threads are created
~Eowyn~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2002 02:46
About the Council of Elrond where Elrond keeps saying doom, it actually isn't that bad. The whole thing was mentioned about four times and once it wasn't even him!
rinquellewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2002 09:04
i too despise the part when Gandalf greets Gandalf at isengard "Sar-u-man"...*shudders at the mere thought*

i also disliked it when bilbo baggins was talking to gandalf about his little trick with the ring,
"Oh, it was just a bit of fun." there is something about that line that doesn't sound right to me....:dizzy:
Adventuregirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2002 05:42
I'd have to say when Gandalf goes " Run you Fools and just drops backward

:love:
Sadime
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 12:37
I though the line:
Gimli "I asked for a lock of her hair, and she gave me three"
was kinda cheesy. I mean your going off to face most likely your death and you ask for hair? As well, it dosen't seem to fit Gimili after he has made it clear how much he dislikes the elves in both FotR and TTT. There were a few other lines that I hated but they've already been said.
Lintelómiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2003 11:42
Easy. There's one line that's bothered me from the beginning and it's this one:

"Well, there is an eye-opener and no mistake." (Sam)

Why say that? Why? It's SO redundant! We can see for ourselves that that dwarf city is impressive without Sam pointing it out, can't we?
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 18, 2003 06:24
Legolas shouting about things we already know.
"Orchs!" No? Really? Erm...
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 18, 2003 07:21
Have a bath! ROFL for literally ten minutes, and every time I hear the word bath forever more.

In reply to some earlier posts, characters stating the obvious are generally doing what people do in real life, or explaining things (for example the Palantir) to non-bookies. Also, People who speak Dwarvish can have a problem with Elvish, hence Saruman’s mis-pronunciation on Orthanc.

What gets my goat? Powerful male elves have a tendency to sound stoned when welcoming people to their abodes and Gandalf takes too long to decide to run from the balrog.

People keep pointing out how everyone pronounces Saruman strangely, but has anyone else noticed that lots of the characters lose their accents when saying the name Frodo?
Kiss
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2003 12:15
I guess alot of us get annoyed with the way Gandalf says Sarumans name! When I first saw the movie, I thought that it was Gandalf screaming "SARUMAN!!!!" that made the snow fall from the mountain. Like geez scream and cause an avalanche

As for the way he says his name when he greets him in Isengard, I have an explanation.

Gandalf: Sa-ru-man

*thinking to himself* Oh man, I sure hope I said his name right, he'll kill me if I mispronounced it!

sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2003 12:26
A lot of the lines people are complaining about above are Tolkien's words which (like Shakespeare) sound odd to modern audiences, including there was an eye opener and no mistake".

With me, it's the non-Tolkien, Skeletor lines that really jar me out of the film.

GIVE US THE HALFLING, SHE-ELF!

Excuse me? SHE-elf? What is this, She-rah and He-man? I left lines like that behind in Saturday morning cartoons about the same year Smurfs were invented!
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2004 04:56
Well forgive me for raking this one up from so long ago - but it's hilarious! And I'm new, so hope you don't mind.

I agree about the way they say Sar-u-man. Really irritating.

Personally, I loved "Let's hunt some orc", tho I would have left the "some" out.

I liked most of the cheesy stuff I'm afraid, but what really bugged me was at the beginning, "Merry - it's Frodo Baggins". Yes Pippin, Frodo, your friend, your cousin - hardly the need for such formal introductions! And if there was, how come they risked their lives to go with him!

[Edited on 18/1/2004 by RosieT]
Aradon_Inziladûn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 11:50
In TTT where Aragorn says "Open war is upon you, wherever you risk it or not." The line is like read out of a book!!! Iam a great fan of Viggo but in that particular place he bummed out.
~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 03:46
I don't like at the Council of Elrond when aragorn says, "The Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master." The line itself doesn't bother me, but Viggo's voice sounds really weird there--you can really tell his accent is fake. :angry:

RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 10:31

Ooh, and the conersation between Gandalf and Frodo doesn't really make that much sense. Frodo says "I wish the ring had never come to me" and straight after Gandalf says "So do all who live to see such times". It doesn't follow on.

Doesn't Frodo add "I wish none of this had ever happened", which does make it follow on better.

Anfauglir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 02:46
Seeing as how almost the entire script has been mentioned, I kinda feel bad for adding another one, but I will anyway...

In Moria when Legolas jumps over the crack in the stairs and then turns and says "Gandalf" I hate how he says that! It drives me up the wall! :angry: :banghead:

There are others, but I either can't recall them or they have been mentioned already ("Have a bath, Legolas" LMAO!)
Cúnireth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 10:52
The whole deal with Gimli and Galadriel's hair was annoying enough, I think, but then the look on Legolas face was like "OMG, what kind of Shire weed did the guy inhale?"

[Edited on 16/6/2004 by Cúnireth]
Killhitler
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 05:00
I hate when Grima says "Saruman has ever been our friend and ally . It just annoys me how he says it. And that whole thing about "Toss me, but don't tell the elf!". Finally there's "Not the beard!" in Moria. It's like Legolas: "Oh, sorry!" (lets go) Gimli: "Wait-AHHHHHHHH!"
nessa_felagund
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 05:38
Um, may I suggest the worst line is....

The End
mírfain
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 07:07
don't know if this has been mentioned befor:
"a diversion" said by the very bright elf, Legolas.
Like no one else figured that out... well, many of the lines of legolas are very...well, I don't know.. make him look stupid.

(Aragorn: Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate.
Éomer: We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms.
Aragorn: Not for ourselves, but we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves.
Legolas: A diversion.)
greendragonfan57
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 11:39
I hated it when those STUPID hobbit children run after Gandalfs cart screaming, "Gandalf! Fireworks, Gandalf!" I mean come on! They were a little too excited therefore meaning that they need ritalin!
The_Eye
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 05:08
Elrond: "Welcome to Rivendell... Frodo Baggins." :cry:

He may as well be Agent Smith welcoming Mr. Anderson!!! "Welcome to Rivendell... Mr. Anderson!" :cry::cry:

LMAO
Oh man dat is funny!
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2005 07:44
My least favourite line in FoTR must be "Let's hunt some orcs".
It just doesn't fit Aragorn.
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2005 11:47
my least favorite:

1.) Whhheeeeerrrrreeeee iiiiiiisssssss Gaaaaaaaaandaaaaaaaalf? For I muuuuuuuuuch deessssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrreee tooooo sppeeeeeaaaaaak wiiiiiittttthhhhh hiiiiiiiiiiim.
:banghead:

2.) "A diversion" -Legolas
Thank you Legolas, for clearing that up! Because all the poor stupid mortals watching never could've figured that one out! :killcomp:

[Edited on 30/11/2005 by asleepingvision]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email