Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Least Favorite Line from FOTR
on: August 13, 2002 06:10
"Is it secret?! Is it safe!?"
How many coffees did Gandalf have before he said that - he seemd just a little toowired to me
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 02:10
"Is it secret?! Is it safe!?"
How many coffees did Gandalf have before he said that - he seemd just a little toowired to me

LOL, panicky Gandalf! one of my favourite lines of the movie - but I agree PbHf: it's not really in character is it?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 04:33
one line that bugs me every time i hear it in the film is when frodo is about to look in galadriels mirror and says "what will i see?"

its just the tone of voice and the way he looks it just doesnt seem right!

Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 04:55
Off topic but K I love your little signature-pic thingy there...I do love to see those Hobbits dance!
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 08:28
one line that bugs me every time i hear it in the film is when frodo is about to look in galadriels mirror and says "what will i see?"

its just the tone of voice and the way he looks it just doesnt seem right!

yeah now u mention it that line anoys me too.

Off topic but K I love your little signature-pic thingy there...I do love to see those Hobbits dance!

yeah i was going to say something about that. i thought that bit was really funny in the film i mean frodos dancing.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 08:55
Yep one of the few times you get to see him happy and carefree
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 08:59
yeah it is soooo funny , happy and still cute.

i never thought i would say that frodo is cute :blush:
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 09:26
yes k, loooooooooooove the sig! the Frodo dance! LoMM does that one marvellously!

LOL, the entire Lothlorien sequence is odd: it's like everyone speaks slightly too slowly
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 10:07
yeah it was to slow for my likeing
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 10:24
aww thanks guys! im glad you all like my sig!!

ive been very happy about finding my little dancing frodo!

LoMM does that one marvellously!

now that is something i would love to see!! :evil:

(sorry completely off topoic i know)

[Edited on 14/8/2002 by k]
BondageOrc
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 03:05
On Caradhras, after Legolas says, "There is a fell voice on the air," Gandalf says, "It's Sarumaaaaan!"

And also, when Gandalf first rides up to Orthanc, after Saruman walks down the steps, he bows his head and says, "Sa-ru-man."

Something about the way everyone seems to say his name bothers me.

I noticed that too...Lurtz does it also, "Who do you serve?"..."Sarumaaaaaan!"
Is there a rule in this movie somewhere that the characters aren't allowed to just say "Saruman", and have to overdramatize it?

Also I really hated when Aragorn said, "I swore to protect you", because his delivery was rotten. It was really unconvincing.

Oh, and "Let's hunt some Orc!" that was just stupid and cheesy.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 03:24
Is there a rule in this movie somewhere that the characters aren't allowed to just say "Saruman", and have to overdramatize it?

agreed it is very annoying. i can only guess its so the movie going public dont confuse the name saruman with the name sauron
:evil:
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 04:44
Now that I'm watching the DVD, 2 things that Gandalf says bother me:

First, where he says "Saruman" when he's greeting Saurman at Isengard... more than how he says the name, though, is how obsequious he is... the whole scene bugs me more and more. Then there's the part where Saruman is chastising Gandalf for smoking tobacco, and not knowing the One Ring was Bilbo's ring. What does the one have to do with the other? After a bit they go in to see Saruman's Palantír, and Gandalf is telling Saruman how "all the lost seeing stones are not accounted for..." like Saruman doesn't know this?

The whole scene could have been put together better :angry:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: August 14, 2002 04:55
I've decided that the whole ____ son of ____ gets to be a cheap shot in the movie. Especially with Gimli. That line bothers me to no end.

"The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli son of Gloin by any craft that we here possess"

WHY does he feel the need to slip in Gimli's papa into the mess? Hrm? :angry: :angry: :angry:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 16, 2002 07:17
When Strider is named as "Aragorn son of Arathorn" why would that mean anything special to Boromir. I wouldn't expect him to know that being Arathorn's son made Aragorn the heir to Isuldur, as there were about 38 generations in between the two men, yet he seemd to realize it right away. At that point there hadn't been a king in the north for about a thousand years and I don't think that Boromir would have kept track of just who was chieftain of the Rangers.

:dizzy:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 16, 2002 08:17
yes PBHF that bit always struck me as odd.

i always got the impression from the books that the rangers had not declared themselfs as heirs of numenor, and that the heir of isildur had to remain hidden until his time came.

still i guess they had to get the fact he would be king across somehow
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 16, 2002 08:55

LEGOLAS He is no mere ranger. This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance.

BOROMIR This is Isildur's heir?

LEGOLAS And heir to the throne of Gondor.

STRIDER Sit down, Legolas.

apart from that last wonderful sentence (have a bath, Legolas), perhaps Boromir was able to make it up out of the tone Legolas said it, and the hint that lies in 'You owe him your allegiance?'

okay, this is movie, I don't have the books at hand... don't shoot me?!
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: August 16, 2002 01:52
Ok, those lines that drives me CRAZY (and mad..) are this:

- Bilbo: It was just a bit of fun! Oh you’re probably right, as usual.
The last "Oh you're probably right..." came waaaay to quick after "it was just a bit of fun". It sounded so very unreal..

- Gandalf: A Palantir is a dangerous tool, Saruman.
Well, thanx for the information.. As like we didn't know, and, ofcourse, Saruman sertanly didn't know before Gandalf told him.. Dah!

- Aragorn in Bree: They are the Nazgul, Ringwraiths, neither living nor dead.
It sounded so crapy! Not like Aragorn at all!

- Argorn at Amon Súl: He’s been stabbed by a Morgul blade.
Thanx, 'cause we didn't notice..

- And I thought the WHOLE scene with Arwen comming on Asfaloth, towards Frodo in the white light.. It was sooo very "oh my god, it's Arwen.. isn't she the best???".. Very bad!

And also I HATE Celeborns line! HATE it!! :angry: It is so very made up and crapy!
And I didn't like "lets hunt some orc" either.. Don't get me wrong; I really like Aragorn , but omg.. That was not very good...
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2002 02:48
oooh! i feel very much in the minority! I loved 'let's hunt some orc' (and even though it was really out of the moment, i quite liked 'come and claim him' as well). I thought it was great, cause it didn't strike me as being so much about killing the orcs (though of course, that's not a BAD thing), but more about avenging what they did to Boromir, and for taking Merry and Pippin.

Or maybe that's just me
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: August 16, 2002 05:10
It's not just you. I liked it. I liked the little exchange between Gimli and Legolas after he said it. It was like one of those motivational speeches a coach would give his team in the locker room and maybe it wasn't very "kingly," but I liked it anyhow.

it didn't strike me as being so much about killing the orcs (though of course, that's not a BAD thing), but more about avenging what they did to Boromir, and for taking Merry and Pippin.

Yep.
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2002 06:02
Aragorn the motivational speaker...lol
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 17, 2002 06:07

somehow I find that a hilarious thought

* have a bath Legolas * * Figwit falls off chair *
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 17, 2002 06:07

a career option in case the whole ruling middle earth thing didnt work out

i wonder what careers the rest of the felowship could do? hmm perhaps i should go see if theres a thread on this

Todo_Maggot
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2002 04:43
hmmm, maybe we sahould start one...?
SilverLaughter
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2002 06:17
hiya!!!

ok, had NO problems with aragorn's lines..anywhere... :love:

but, what was with frodo's accent? from time to time he went all *propah* as though he was going to have crumpets and tea with the queen in buckingham palace. like the way he says, 'you know, bilbo, he's got the whole place in an uproar' and then the little shriek 'get off the road!' *cringes*

'have a bath, legolas' ..ROFL!!!

also, saruman's 'they will kill the halflling and take th ring' line - it was like 'scuse me folks, but remember i'm the guy who did dracula?'

and sam's reply to frodo saying he's going to mordor alone. 'of course you are...and i'm coming with you!'. ahem. that was supposed to make us laugh? cry? both? netiher? whatever his career options may be other than hobbit-gardener, stand-up is NOT one of them...
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: August 18, 2002 06:43
and sam's reply to frodo saying he's going to mordor alone. 'of course you are...and i'm coming with you!'. ahem. that was supposed to make us laugh? cry? both? netiher? whatever his career options may be other than hobbit-gardener, stand-up is NOT one of them...

Haha! I like it! Actually I thought I was going insane..because I had thought I had heard 'I'm going to mordor alone" "and I'm coming with you" but none of my friends seemed to catch the 'alone' part...and I started cracking up in the theater and they're all looking at me like "what? what?!?!" I told them and they just said "are you sure that was there...?"
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: August 19, 2002 04:56
" I don't like it when Boromir says to Gandalf in Moria "what is this new devilry?" when the Balrog makes its prescence known. For some reason it seems to me like he's blaming Gandalf for this new problem.
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2002 08:06
'have a bath legolas' *giggles win the battle*
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 19, 2002 09:28
'have a bath legolas' *giggles win the battle*

that once STILL cracks me up! everytime LoMM and I watch the film it's: Have a bath, Legolas!

actually, one other line I really don't like, is when Gandalf says: Bilbo, don't take me for a congerur (?) of cheap tricks

what does he do? a cheap trick!
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: August 19, 2002 10:06
actually, one other line I really don't like, is when Gandalf says: Bilbo, don't take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks... what does he do? a cheap trick!--- figwit

Yeah... figgy... it IS a cheap trick! And then he changes too fast back to polite in the middle of saying, "I'm not trying to rob you... I'm trying to help you!" I think sounding a bit more peeved would've been better for the second part of the line (the helping part). :angry:

Oh, well... I wasn't the director... :drool: :blush: :drool:
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: August 19, 2002 11:56
Idunno...I thought he meant when he said that, that ''cheap tricks''(god!...everytime I say that I'm reminded of the horrible 80's hair band!!!) aren't all he could do. But your probably right...as uuusual!
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2002 12:36

that once STILL cracks me up! everytime LoMM and I watch the film it's: Have a bath, Legolas!

I'm reaaaaaally stupid. I thought what you meant was the way he just told him to sit down and he did. But when I was watching it again tonight, i TOTALLY got what you meant, and fell about laughing. My brother had to come in and tell me to shut up....hehe

Other lines that are really starting to bug me:

'He's left you Bag End!' erm....I'm pretty sure Frodo knew he was Bilbo's heir.

And this isn't so much of a line, but a camera angle:

'I have seen it'....then Christopher Lee looks right at the camera. Am I the only one who finds that part totally hilareous?!
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: August 20, 2002 06:32
"have a bath, Legolas" Oh, that's priceless!

I don't like where Aragorn says "where is the ring?" It's like the ring has taken him over for that moment. i didn't mind his hand gesture, though, when he was telling Frodo to run- it was like he was emphasising his point and Frodo's need to get the heck outta there.

Celeborn- Argh! Don't get me started. The poor guys been picked to pieces eksewhere, though, and I'm sure you know what my problem is.
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2002 06:40
*Hirilear's voice floats through the thread* In you're anger, do not murder the English language! Be not brutal in your spelling!
*The voice fades with the cry of a gull*
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: August 20, 2002 09:33
*Hirilear's voice floats through the thread* In you're anger, do not murder the English language! Be not brutal in your spelling!

Ahemmmm.... you misspelled 'you're'... I think you mean 'your'... :blush:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email