Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
AragornsToothbrush
Council Member
Send Message
Post C. S. Lewis // Chronicles of Narnia
on: October 15, 2003 04:30
Alright, does anyone out there like reading the work of Tolkiens friend C. S. Lewis? Or am I the only one? If you do like C. S. Lewis, what works of his have you read? I've read the Chronicles of Narnia, and I'm working on his space trilogy. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!

[Edited on 4/3/2005 by Elenisil]
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: C. S. Lewis // Chronicles of Narnia
on: October 16, 2003 02:48
I remember I really liked the space trilogy (although I read them so long ago, I don't recall them that well. Time for a re-read!) I read the Narnia boks when I was about 17, I liked but dind't love them. My own children are reading them at a younger age and really love them. My favorite Lewis book that I've read is "The Great Divorce". I thought this was a really forcefully argued, well thought-out book. It is explicitly Christian, so unless one is open to considering religous ideas they would not enjoy the book.
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 05:34
The Space Trilogy was my first favourite fantasy/science fiction work before I got into the Lord of the Rings. I read them when I was quite young, and enjoyed the stories though I didn't understand all of the philosophical content.
I re-read them a couple years ago and thought they were brilliant - I also understood a lot more. I think I feel like re-reading them again pretty soon.
I also read Till We Have Faces, Mere Christianity and The Chronicles of Narnia. The Chronicles were absolutely my favourite books when I was a child, but they don't seem as amazing now that I'm an adult and have explored the world of Tolkien. I quite agree with Tolkien on the subject of allegory - it's not my cup of tea. They're still charming though, and I assure you my children will be reading them.

Which one of the Space Trilogy are you reading at the moment, Toothbrush? (Great name, BTW.) Perelandra is definitely my favourite...
I think it's rather interesting that Lewis modeled the character of Ransom off of Tolkien. I wonder of Tolkien ever returned the gesture?
Eowyn13
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 09:22
I grew up listening to my mom read me "The chronicles of Narnia"
I LOVE them!
I read the first book from the space trilogy and I thought its very differant from C.S.Lewis's form of writing and very very Intellectual.
I'm going to start reading "The screwtape letters" soon!
Did you guys know that The lion the witch and the wardrobe is going to be made into a movie? Its buget is 170 million and WETA is helping them with the effects and all that!
www.narnia.com
RequiemEuphoria
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2003 11:21
It's seriously gonna be a movie?! That's friggin' awesome!! I read the Chronicles of Narnia when I was in 5th grade I think. Only 3 years ago, but still.. No one I know has even heard of C.S. Lewis. kinda sad.. I havent started the Space Trilogy yet, but its on my 'list' LoL
AragornsToothbrush
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2003 03:45
I heard that they were thinking about doing the movie about two years ago, but this is the first time since then that i've heard anything about it. I first read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was like six, and I've read it like 15 times since then. The other Cronicals I've read 1-3 times. (Can you tell i like to read?) I'm working on That Hideous Strengthin the space trilogy.
Arwen1858
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2003 05:30
I grew up on the Chronicles of Narnia!!! I must have read LWW 10-15 times, and Prince Caspian 8-10, and the others several times. I'm about to read LWW again. I can't wait for the movies!!
Valaöré
Servant of the Valar
Send Message
on: October 22, 2003 06:47
From the look of the website (www.narnia.com), I don't think that this movie is actually going to be made. The latest news is more than a year old.
Eowyn13
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2003 05:33
Well, there is another site that has some more info on it...one of the members,Voltron, knows the producer and says that they have just started filming the movie...its due date is early 2006
Eowyn13
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2003 05:37
Oops, forgot to give you the link. Sorry! :blush:
http://www.countingdown.com/movies/1463
there ya go
TorechUngol
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2003 10:23
I've read the Cronicles of Narnia (can't wait till the movies!!!!!!) and the Space Trilogy.
AragornsToothbrush
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2003 12:10
I just finished reading that Hideous Strength. Does anybody but me get the idea that it alludes to Middle-earth a few times?
~Elfstone~
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2003 08:21
I've read the Chronicles of Narnia and I really liked them, but I haven't read any of his other books. I would really like to but with school it's kinda hard.........Anyway, I can't wait for the movies!!!
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2003 11:14
I got into Tolkien, indirectly, through Lewis. The Chronicles of Narnia were the first fantasy books I ever read (many, MANY years ago). I became hooked on the genre and began reading fantasy novels almost exclusively (which led me to Tolkien, of course). I've also read Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. BTW, on a recent trip to the bookstore, I was shocked (and dissappointed) to see that they changed the sequence of the Narnia books. I guess they wanted it to be more chronological, but I liked the original sequence with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" as the 1st book. It made all the events of "The Magician's Nephew" (which was originally the 6th book in the series) seem that much more magical because I was like "oh, so that's how that got there!", etc. Oh, and I loved the idea of the Wood Between the Worlds. I kept imagining all the other worlds Digory and Polly could have gone into!

*edited for spelling :blush:

[Edited on 7/11/2003 by truegirl]
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: November 03, 2003 01:04
I´ve just started reading the Narnia Series. It all started with me looking for a nice fantasy book to give my nephew.

I sat at the bookshop for two hours and read the Magician's Nephew through. Well, needless to say that I bought one copy for myself :blush: That was a month ago.

Yesterday I bought the second book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe but I confess I got a bit disappointed with it. I mean, the characters from the previous books were all forgotten? What happened to the old Cabby and Fledge?

Anyway, just wondering, you don´t have to tell me wht happens next

*El

[Edited on 3/11/2003 by Elenisil]
Lady_Izara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2003 02:09
I love C.S. Lewis! I've read Narnia, the Space Trilogy, The Screwtape Letters, and am currently reading Mere Christianity.

Seeing ya'll talking about the upcoming movie brought to mind an older version done by BBC. Have any of ya'll seen that one? I believe they only did 1-3.

Namarie,
Lady Izara
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: November 05, 2003 02:28
"The Chronicles of Narnia" are one of my all-time favorites! I also enjoyed the Space Trilogy but it's been years since I read them.

And Elen - actually, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is the FIRST one in the series. All the rest of the books actually 'build' on that one. They weren't written in 'order' of the creation of Narnia.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 12:45
quite ironic to hear that, gwen, cos the books were published in brazil with the "volume" number and the advice for us to read them in the correct order
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 01:19
Elenisil
The publishers changed the sequence of books (see my previous post). The original sequence (and the one that makes the most sense to me) goes like this:

1) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2) Prince Caspian
3) The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"
4) The Silver Chair
5) The Horse and His Boy
6) The Magician's Nephew
7) The Last Battle

I love them all but I'm especially fond of The Silver Chair and The Magician's Nephew.

Anyway, no matter how the books are packaged now, I'll always insist that they be in the order noted above. BTW, I have a box set printed in 1980.
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: November 07, 2003 04:37
mmm... ok, i`ll read Prince Caspian next then... and follow your piece of advice... maybe it does make more sense...

I´ll let you know next week
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: November 08, 2003 06:36
Yes, truegirl, that is the best order to read them in. What's funny is that the first time I read them, I read "The Horse and his Boy" first. (I was just a little 'horse crazy' at that time, lol! ) But then, I did read "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" next before I read the others.

And, although I can't say that any particular one of the series is a 'favorite', I have always especially liked 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' a lot. Seeing the changes in 'Eustace' are so illustrative to me, and I absolutely love 'Reepicheep'. :love:

[Edited on 8/11/2003 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Eowyn13
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2003 12:10
The Silver chair is my all time favorite!
Next would be The voyage of the dawn treader
Alquatari
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2003 04:34
It's a good news about movie!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/15/1068674430335.html
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: November 19, 2003 12:02
ok, read 3 books last week: Prince Caspian, the Voyage..., the Silver Chair...

I hated the Silver Chair... but maybe it´s due to my phobia of closed places :dizzy:

Regret having bought those 3 only, since I went back to the bookshop yesterday and there was no Horse and His Boy and no Last Battle in stock... ... gotta wait till next week...
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: November 19, 2003 05:18
How could you hate 'The Silver Chair'?! Puddleglum was in it! If EVER there was an embodiment of myself...except of course that I'm a female...in a story, it's him! And Tom Baker did a top job playing him in the movie! Just how I would have chosen to see him!
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: November 24, 2003 12:32
is there a film already? it hought it was still in production?

but as I said, I felt terrible reading it, mainly the underground passages... I lost breath several times...
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2003 01:47
Elenisil,
There was a BBC production of the first 4 books (the original sequence, that is) back in 1988. I don't remember much of those movies except for the huge animatronic Aslan. They never could get that lip-synched right.
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: November 25, 2003 01:02
Sorry-I meant the BBC production. I think the Silver Chair was made in about 1990. The special effects were a little dodgy, and yes truegirl the animatronic Aslan was a bit dodgy too-but they got the point across and I guess that's all that matters. I remember I thought the boy that played...what was his name...Peter...in the earlier movies was quite something :blush: I was very young at the time, though.
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2003 07:28
I wish I could remember more from those movies, eldir. I vaguely remember Puddleglum, but I can't remember what any of the other characters looked like (except Lucy and her goofy sweater that she never buttoned properly). The animatronic Aslan was pretty cool for back then -- just looked weird when he talked. I'll have to check those movies out again some time. I'm sure they're on video somewhere.

By the way, Elenisil, I loved all the underground passages and such from "The Silver Chair" - I thought it was all very exciting. But I can see where clausatoaphobia might ruin those parts for you. Oh, and I liked all the "signs" that Jill had to look for. What a cool book!
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: November 26, 2003 02:30
*says some censurable words*

they were not released in Brazil!!!!!!!

:cry:
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2003 04:02
Not to worry. I checked and they are on VHS and DVD. I found them on Amazon.com, but you can probably rent them, too. Blockbuster has them (according to their website).

[Edited on 27/11/2003 by truegirl]
~Gwenneth~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2003 04:02
Anyone read The Screwtape Letters? I have yet to finish That Hidious Strengh (part of the Space Triogly)

Gwenny

[Edited on 28/11/2003 by ~Gwenneth~]
Iella
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 02:59
I love C.S. Lewis I actually did a project on him when i was in high school. I read Mere Christianity (which is great!), Surprised by Joy (autobiography kinda thingy) and Pilgrim's Regress (which is SOOO over my head but it was good), and Lion,witch and wardrobe.

I hope to read the space trilogy soon!! And yes, the main character is said to be based on Tolkien (but if u watch the TTT extended - one of the features - they say that Treebeard's big booming voice was inspired by Lewis - cool eh? )

~Iella
Shastia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2003 11:51
I love 'They Voyage of the Dawn Treader' but I love all the Narnia books. I also like his adult Chritian books, I've read 'Mere Christianity,' 'Miracles' and 'The Great Divorce.'
Valaöré
Servant of the Valar
Send Message
on: December 15, 2003 02:27
Elenisil
The publishers changed the sequence of books (see my previous post). The original sequence (and the one that makes the most sense to me) goes like this:

1) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2) Prince Caspian
3) The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"
4) The Silver Chair
5) The Horse and His Boy
6) The Magician's Nephew
7) The Last Battle

I love them all but I'm especially fond of The Silver Chair and The Magician's Nephew.

Anyway, no matter how the books are packaged now, I'll always insist that they be in the order noted above. BTW, I have a box set printed in 1980.

Thank you!!! Someone agrees with me! **Vala goes teary-eyed**

[Edited on 16/7/2004 by k]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email