Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
legolasgurl
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: C. S. Lewis // Chronicles of Narnia
on: October 06, 2005 04:15
I live in the U.S. Does anyone know if there's going to be midnight showings of this? Like between the 8th and the 9th. I'm trying to decide whether to go to a pre-screening or not!
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 06:20
Yeah Liam Neeson is the voice of Aslan.

Well, that should be impressive! Liam Neeson does have a good voice for something like that!

WOW!!! I just got through lookin at the list of soundtrack artist.... and that is QUITE a list!!! Not only is this going to be one AWESOME movie... but its going to have one of the best soundtracks EVER!!!!!

Really? Even better than LOTR or Troy??? That's definetly something!!!
Still, it is quite a long wait...*sigh*

j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 02:29
*shivers with excitment*
Yeaterday was the first time I saw the trailer in the cinema. I had to stop myself for squeling with delite.
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2005 10:11
Here are several articles and Links on the Chronicals of Narnia movies and CS Lewis:

Douglas Gresham, the stepson of C.S. Lewis, was the guest of honor at the recent Past Watchful Dragons conference at Nashville's Belmont University November 4-7. He talked about CS Lewis and Narnia at length. Very interesting:
Stepson of C.S. Lewis Talks about Narnia

Article about several authors who have written books about CS Lewis:
Author-Experts on C.S. Lewis

EMI Music’s Nashville-based EMI CMG will release both “inspired by” soundtracks and has announced an all-star line up for the first in the series of releases: an Inspirational soundtrack CD, Music Inspired By: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, featuring recordings from artists that combined have sold in excess of 23 million albums.
EMI and Walt Disney Studios to Release Projects Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia

The Chronicals of Narnia Books and Movies Group -- a place to discuss The Chronicals of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: books, movies, television series and everything Narnia! Chronicals_of_Narnia Yahoo Group
olorinsjb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2005 08:55
They are currnetly boxing and numbering the books according to Authors preference. Which is as follows
-The magicians nephew
-The lion the witch and the wardrobe
-The horse and his boy
-Prince caspian
-The voyage of the dawn treader
-The silver chair
-The last battle
SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 12:00
I'm hoping the movie'll do justice to the book. Mostly, and this is just my opinion, the movies are not as good as the books, the only one I think came out really great is LOTR:love: But I'm not gonna miss it anyway, I love the Narnia chronicles!
I can't wait until The Last Battle, that's my fav :love: Why'd it have to be the last one?
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 12:34
I am really looking forward to this movie:love::love: I've just reread all the books again:disco::disco::love: I hope they don't leave huge bits of the storyline out see I've loved the Narnia books longer than LOTR and C.S Lewis is probably just a tiny bit ahead of Tolkien when it comes to favourite authors (realises she is posting on a Tolkien oriented site and decides she'd better be quiet)... btw (this is probably not the best place to ask but nonetheless) -does anyone know of any good forums or things for C.S Lewis and his works etc? I'm sure they'll be heaps pop up after the movie but I haven't been able to find any really good ones yet that's all).

Anyway I'm so excited about the movie:disco:
EMI Music’s Nashville-based EMI CMG will release both “inspired by” soundtracks and has announced an all-star line up for the first in the series of releases: an Inspirational soundtrack CD, Music Inspired By: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, featuring recordings from artists that combined have sold in excess of 23 million albums.
EMI and Walt Disney Studios to Release Projects Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia
Is this the one that Rebecca St James and Steven Curtis Chapman were involved in (I'll probably just hit the link in a second and go there) Rebecca St James is one of my favourite artists :love: and I love her lyrics to 'The Lion' I think it was - I can't wait for the cd either Anyway there's my mindless ramble about Narnia... oh one more thing -does anyone else find it strange that the actor for Lucy is 9 while Edmund is 15? I always had the impression in the book they were closer in age -however it doesn't look out of place so I'm sure it'll be great:rolling:
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 10:02
I've only read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and that was back in, like, fourth grade. From what I can remember, it was very good and I really liked it. I do intend on seeing this movie on opening day. It looks great!
Slina
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2005 07:46
Yeah, I've read the entire Narnia series, and I've listened to the Focus on the Family Radio theater version, and seen the BBC movies. But I'm really looking forward to the new movie finally coming out. I'd definitely go see it opening night if at all possible! But sadly I seriously can't, so I'm going the very first showing I can manage. I've been following the movie for close to two years at least, and it's actually almost here! There's a lot of spoiler clips floating around the Internet right now, and people are starting to review the movie online. It's getting mostly positive reviews, too, so that's a good sign. In case you're wondering, one of the very best online sites for Narnia movie news and discussion is www.narniaweb.com. (If you're looking for general C. S. Lewis discussion, Narnia Web isn't the best place for that, but there's plenty of great 'real' discussion of both movies and books.) And I personally think the CGI so far has been amazing. Sure, there were a few things I've seen so far that could have been a bit better, but overall, the very fact that they can make photorealistic lions is great. Oh, and the acting's wonderful, too. I think the kids were all great choices, though I'm starting to wonder what will happen in Prince Caspian if/when they make it. Edmund and Lucy were the perfect ages, but Skandar (Edmund) majorly went through that maturity stage since filming, and it's obvious when you see current pictures of him or watch interviews, or whatever. But anyway, yeah, I'm majorly looking forward to getting to see it! Only 4 (almost 3) more days!
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 03:12
I'm qutie worried now. I saw a review for the film (which comes out this Thursday here), on Film 2005 and Jonhthan Ross gave it a BAD review. I hope it isn't.
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 04:41
I saw that too - it scared me! But I'm being optimistic - he's given bad reviews that I've disagreed with before!
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 12:04
Yes, so far I've seen reviews that are quite good. That's a good sign, so far, although I don't always base my opinions on what the critics say.

I'm really excited for this movie to come out! Not much longer!
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 12:51
I saw that too - it scared me! But I'm being optimistic - he's given bad reviews that I've disagreed with before!

Well it's got good reviews from everyone else. Appartantly Mr Ross has recently only been giving bad reviews to films where he hasn't done an interview with someone involed in it.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 07:19
Look, you're always gonna find someone who didn't like a major blockbuster (there were even a few who didn't like RotK). But two things. One, so long as the good outweighs the bad reviews, it's a safe bet it'll still turn out good. And two, which has already been said, (and this kinda discounts One) who cares what they think? So long as you go and you enjoy the movie, does it really matter what the critics think? Just my two cents.

Can't wait until tomorrow. There's a small chance I'll be able to see it opening day! :disco:
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 11:27
Oh, I know that. I always wait to see the film first before jugding it, but J Ross has usaully given acurrate reviews. Looks like he's slipping.

I was going to try and see it today (opening day), but we're going to see it on Sunday instead.
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 09:14
Might have to read the books again (been a long time since ) Anyone else find the last battle a bit of a letdown, too much standing around and not enough fighting.... as best as I remember anyway
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 06:48
Woo-hoo, I'm seeing it tonight (opening night) at 6:30! I'll tell everybody what I think as soon as I can!

[Edited on 9/12/2005 by orthanc5]
Spritesteph
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 01:55
So many people in the theater as we walked out were talking about how it was "so similar to the Lord of the Rings" in terms of both the special effects and story. Well DUH. The Lewis-Tolkien connection and the Weta connection obviously escaped most people, hehe.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 05:52
Saw it and loved it. There were so many times I wanted to stand up and shout. This is definitely just as good as LotR (tho I refuse to compare the two) Neeson was an excellent Aslan, and everyone else was perfectly cast as well. I loved Mr. and Mrs. Beaver. I'll always have a place in my heart for the made-for-TV version, since it was what got me interested in Narnia and LotR in the first place, but this is definitely not only an improvement, it's, it's, well I don't know a word that describes it. I can't wait to see it again! :disco:
Triwi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 07:28
The movie was great. every one did a great job with their parts. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can buy it.
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 07:16
I agree, the movie was excellent. They followed the plot very well, adding a few things for excitement and to lengthen it out, but only one major change that I can think of (even though it really isn't that major). As far as characters go, I think Susan and Peter were done best. I think Edmund was antagonized a little excessively. The movie didn't explain that he doesn't always act this way, but that his mood started when he came to boarding school, and got worse when they came to the manor. All in all, it was a great film.
Lady_of_Edoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 08:46
I saw it last night. It was a really great movie. I was very pleased at how well they stuck to the story.
Everyone did a really good job, especially the girl who played Lucy.
I can't wait to see it again.
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 09:38
Oh, the movie was great! I saw it last night and it was very well done. Now my dad wants to see it, so I'll probably be seeing it again sometime soon!
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 09:55
I saw it last night as well, and thought it was quite good. A little of the CG was iffy here and there, but I thought Aslan was great. All four of the kids were great. There were a few minor changes here and there, but all stuff I could live with. I enjoyed it a lot (doesn't hold a candle to LotR, of course, as far as story depth, cinematography, or special effects, but it's still very good), and it's definitely worth a see.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
StarOfTheDunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2005 02:46
Just saw the movie, and I *loved* it, it was awesome! The kids are wonderful actors and the music was absoulutely beautiful! I'll definitely be seeing it again, and soon!
Don_Palantir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2005 10:19
Here the same :::
There´s no fantasy books before the movies.
The good thing about movies is that books are translated to our language finally

CS Lewsi books are quite unknown, as so other fantasy book with no mives (humm) I´m waiting to read the Space Trilogy, when they are translated

I read the 2 book of Narnia, it´s childish, a fairy tale to my eyes, not bad, but childish
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 02:16
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Didn't they get Edmund right, Orthanc? He's my favourite character!
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 04:41
I loved it, but at the same time I was disappointed. It just didn't have the epic quality I was looking for in the film. There were also a few moments I could have done without. The voices for the chief and the secret police and Aslen I felt were alittle too human. But not enough to annoy me.
So even though I loved the film, I felt the BBC version was better.
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2005 12:24
As far as characters go, I think Susan and Peter were done best. I think Edmund was antagonized a little excessively.

I wasn't so keen on the way they were shown. Susan was too wainy and Peter kept on saying let's go back/you go back so many times it got slightly annoying.
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: December 13, 2005 12:45
I absolutely loved the film. As Rivka said the CGI wasn't perfect in some places but it was just lovely, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a film so much. And that's despite the tears flooding down my face at the beginning :blush: I just came away so happy. I thought it was really nicely done, and for me it just felt right, it seemed to keep the quality and feel of the books really well.
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 15, 2005 04:31
omg!! i saw the movie last friday when it came out here.... and it was AMAZING!!! almost exactly like i imagined it!!! :love: i thought it wasnt gonna be "great" so i went expecting to get a few let downs.... so i guess i was blown away when there were only minor character flaws/scene probs.... or maybe im just in love with Narnia and dont care!! Im soo getting it when it comes out on DVD!!! :love: :love:
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 16, 2005 11:53
I wasn't so keen on the way they were shown. Susan was too wainy and Peter kept on saying let's go back/you go back so many times it got slightly annoying.

Peter saying "Go back" wasn't in the book, I agree, but it was demonstrative of how he tried to take the role of a leader for the kids. As far as Susan's whining, I believe you're referring to her saying "Mother wouldn't like that," " We shouldn't do this," etc. I thought it was just part of her character, trying to take on a motherly role when their real mother wasn't there. When I said that I thought Susan and Peter were done the best, I meant that I think their characters were truest to the book. Interpretation of characters is incredibly subjective, both in books and movies. While there are obvious characteristics that everyone can agree on, other nuances about a fictional person are often disagreed on. Everyone can agree that Gandalf would not have led Frodo to Minas Tirith, but everyone has their own opinion about what Gandalf would do if the neighbor's dog kept doing its business on his lawn. Everyone's thoughts of a character are different, and I just thought that the film's portrayol (and the way that I percieved it) was quite accurate for the two characters .
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 07:33
The reviews I read said the special fx and such, as well as the battle sequences, weren't up to LotR. DUH. LotR is 9 freaking hours long. They just didn't have that kind of time in CoN.

That aside, it really was like watching the book itself come to life. They stuck to it very closely and I liked that. Many iconic moments from the book were done very very well.
Dingil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2006 07:02
The old version of Narnia sticks way closer to the book! it's like a complete quote of the book the whole way through!!, ( i know i have watched the old one at least 30 times.. no bull)The new Narnia is very awesome, but they did change quite a few things, like Susans personality, in the book she's nice quite polite and motherly, just a bit different from the movie!!! still very awesome!
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 11:26
This is definitely just as good as LotR (tho I refuse to compare the two)

What do you mean! Narnia can't even compare with LOTR! Don't get me wrong: I do think Narnia is a good story, but one which was written for kids. People shouldn't compare Narnia and LotR because LotR was just so much better!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email