Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
ChildofIlluvatar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: C. S. Lewis // Chronicles of Narnia
on: January 16, 2004 07:13
"The Chronicles of Narina" from CS Lewis is just as good or maybe better than Tolkien's "Lord of The Rings".

I am not just saying that just to be saying it either.

"The Chronicles of Narina" books are easy to read, and they are easy to understand, but they deal with cool fanasty stuff, and obvious Christian symbolism in the books too.

[Edited on 16/7/2004 by k]
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 02:49
Really? I mean...

The Narnia series is very good, but it is not as much intricate as Tolkien´s works. And I believe there is also the element of "originality".

While reading about any age of Middle Earth, you always have the impression that it is all something new. Never before had you heard of orcs or hobbits or rings of power.

I felt exactly the opposite in some passages of Narnia, as if Tolkien had lent Lewis some of his ideas, as the rings for instance, which (despite being used with a different purpose) were powerful tools of a "dark magician".

Narnia is the best I´ve read so far in its category, but in no way I believe it is in the same league as LoTR. It´s like comparing Snow White to the History of the Ancient Greek or Rome...

[Edited on 17/1/2004 by Elenisil]
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 12:20
I own the box set (the one with the unicorn on it), but I've only actually read The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe. I am going to read the series over the summer. I love the concept of TLTWATW, so hopefully I'll enjoy the others. Anyone a fan of the Animated movie? It was one of my favorites as a kid... although I was sort of creeped out by some of it. The movie (if it's made) should rake in a lot of $, fantasy is where it's at right now. xx-Amanda
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 01:38
Hehe AragornsToothbrush! I posted the exact same topic somewhere (but it got locked because it already existed of course!). I think it's really cool that 2 very well known and respected writers were friends and often had breakfast (or was it lunch...?) together and exchanged ideas. Very cool
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 05:02
I LOVE the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm reading them right now.

Only... I don't see how you can have it in any other order than

1) The Magician's Nephew
2) The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
3) The Horse and His Boy
4) Prince Caspian
5) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6) The Silver Chair
7) The Last Battle

Since they pretty much spoil The Magician's Nephew in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Besides, in this order (if I'm not mistaken) it goes in the order of Narnian Time. Starting out with its birth in the first book and moving along... I can't see it in any other order than this...

*shrugs* But thats just me; I'm wierd like that.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 06:35
I thought we had a thread about the movies but I can't seem to find it.
Here's an article on the movies:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/02/film.narnia.reut/index.html
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 07:53
The Narnia series is very good, but it is not as much intricate as Tolkien´s works. And I believe there is also the element of "originality".

While reading about any age of Middle Earth, you always have the impression that it is all something new. Never before had you heard of orcs or hobbits or rings of power.

I felt exactly the opposite in some passages of Narnia, as if Tolkien had lent Lewis some of his ideas, as the rings for instance, which (despite being used with a different purpose) were powerful tools of a "dark magician".

I must respectfully disagree with you, Elen, if the argument is "complete originality". It is an established fact that Tolkien borrowed themes and archetypes from other sources himself, such as the Norse myths, Beowulf and The Kalevala. The Ring as talisman is one we find again and again also--remember The Ring Cycle opera by Wagner, for example? Orcs are very much like the goblins and hobgoblins found in George Macdonald and much of European fantasy literature. Hobbits--again, very similar to the Little People of Irish legend, who also dwelt in the ground.

Lewis and Tolkien were both quite familiar with ancient literature, and both drew from some of the same sources.

Narnia is the best I´ve read so far in its category, but in no way I believe it is in the same league as LoTR. It´s like comparing Snow White to the History of the Ancient Greek or Rome...

They were not trying to accomplish the same thing. It would be like comparing cars to rockets and saying "Cars are inferior because they don't leave the ground." A much fairer comparison would be The Chronicles of Narnia and The Hobbit, as they were both written with children in mind.

[Edited on 3/6/04 by Scothia]
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 03:23
OH, and I forgot to add, it looks like the movie website has been updated at last too.
www.narnia.com
linnende
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 02:07
I love C.S. Lewis!!! I have read the Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity and they were great!! But, even though they are childrens books, I LOVE the Chronicles of Narnia, I stil read them over and over again. I'll finish with a quote by C.S. Lewis "A book worth reading in childhood only, is not worth reading even then"

[Edited on 9/3/2004 by linnende]
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 04:09
Okay, I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but I'm curious...so....

Narnia lovers...who are your favorite Narnian characters?

I always liked Peter when I was a kid, but I think my favs are Jill Pole and Tirian. Oh, and Aslan, of course!

I just always identified with Jill when I was younger.
And I've always had a soft-spot for Tirian. :love: He was a fair and noble young man whose faith was sorely tested. I just really felt for him after all he went through in TLB.

So, who are your favs?
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 06:39
Has anyone else read my favorite of all Lewis' books, indeed one of my favorites by any author, Till We Have Faces? I consider it his masterpiece. You can read about it here.

It is truly one of the most remarkable books I have ever read...maybe not as easy to get through as the Narnia books (which of course were written for children), but incredibly powerful for anyone who has ever pondered the question of pain and suffering.
linnende
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 12:38
Has anyone else read my favorite of all Lewis' books, indeed one of my favorites by any author, Till We Have Faces? .

Yes I have!!! I really enjoyed it. Although at some points it made me kind of sad . It is definately a book worth reading!!
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2004 10:49
Have read the TCON several times! They are excellent! Haven't read any other of his books, but I did read a very interesting preface of his somewhere, where he comments on JRRT Ring Trilogy. Wish I could find it! I'll Have to try the Space Trilogy.
Legolasfan1113
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 03:03
I really love:heart: C.S. Lewis's books and writings, even though I haven't read them all. They really can be a hard read. God certainlly gave him a remarkable mind. My uncle used to read my cousins and I "the Chronicles of Narina" before bed-time. Those were good times.
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 08:47
I just started the Space Triology. They're great, even though I've only read the first so far. I need to find the other two now.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 21, 2004 11:37
If you are a Narnia fan I have found a nice site dedicated to :love:rumors:love: about the upcoming movies, which I have posted in the Links thread at the top of the Palantir forum list.

Check out the dude who's playing Tumnus!!

[Edited on 7/25/2004 by Aowyn]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 05:38
Lewis is brilliant! I grew up on Narnia, my mom read all the books to me and my sister when I was about four and I have re-read them over and over.
I have read a bunch of other thing by Lewis lately. The Space Trilogy was incredible! Each was more intense and captivating then the last and they just kept getting deeper. During the last one I started panicking cause Ransom did not show up and make every thing better immediately.
Till We Have Faces was awesome, I need to read it again cause I don't think I got it the first time, it was kind of over my head.
The Dark Tower (a collection of unfinished and short stories) had me sleeping with the light on at the beginning. more Dr. Ransom which is always good. That first one was just creepy! I love it! The others were interesting and some kind of humorous (in a kind of creepy way) the one about the moon had me kind of tense and then made me laugh after I got it. it is a great pity that he did not finish some of them. it was incredibly fascinating and kind of disturbing. Really good.
ok I will stop babbling now. I hope they keep to the books when they make the Narnia movie.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 10:11
One thing about the Magician's Nephew, is that Professor Digory is just a kid. All the other stories chronilogically take place years later, when he's grown up.

When I was little, I read all seven books aloud to my brother and sisters. (Of course, I could hardly read at that time, so my mom had to help me a lot!) Currently, I'm reading The Screwtape Letters. It's really good, but takes a lot of concentration for me to read. It seems almost like the advice that Saruman would be giving Wormtongue to try and corrupt Theoden, but whatever.

I started out as a fan of C.S. Lewis, which got me interested in Tolkien, cause one of my friends said that Lewis and Tolkien were friends. And I'm still a fan of both today!

I think my favourite character would have to be Tumnus. The first time I read LWW, he made me cry cause the White Witch was being so mean to him. Another char that I liked was Caspian.
WielderofNenya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 01:56
I just finished reading that Hideous Strength. Does anybody but me get the idea that it alludes to Middle-earth a few times?

Yes, it does. It even refers to Numenor (then Numinor), however its in the wrong contex saying that it was the true West instead of Valinor.
I have to reread, there were some other references.

That Hideous Strength was the best of the Space Trilogy.
I've read the Chronicles of Narnia, The Space Trilogy, and the Screwtape Letters.
Lewis is one of my favourite authors, you can guess what one of the others is.
WielderofNenya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 02:12
Really? I mean...

[Edited on 17/1/2004 by Elenisil]

I feel the same way Elenisil. I"ll read a passage every so often and think maybe the "Inklings" did more than just edit their stuff together. Well, I mean CoN was written for children though. Keeping that in mind, the simplicity adds to the charm.
There was one section in "Prince Caspian" though when Lucy starts talking about their swan boat back in the Golden Age of Narnia and I start thinking about Galadriel's lovely swan boat in "Farewell to Lorien." A couple other circumstances that I can't remember too. The other thing is that the plots are so full of allegory that they can't really be considered original, creative, but not original. I still love them though and I think I always will.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 01:15
Perhaps they dicussed ideas for their works and he consiously or unconsiously picked up on them and borrowed some. I can't remember, which series was published first or where they during the same stretch of time?
Fladrif
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 10:43
I love theTCON.They started my love of fantasy and got me into LOTR.When I asked my mom for more books she gave me The Hobbit.Now I tend to like LOTR a lot more but when I've had a really bad day or am really upset or something like that I still pick TCON because they are worn in.I've read them all somewhere between 30 and 40 times I started when I was little and now I'm just so used to them.You would not believe the amount of copys I've had that the covers and slowly the pages have fallen off.I've read the Scewtape letters and I was going to read the space trilogy but before I could root it out of my brothers room a friend who I had been asking forever to lent me the Silm finally did so I've been reading that.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 09, 2004 01:08
...dredging up this thread....I don't want it to die!

Well, filming is supposed to have started in New Zealand by now. Rumor has it that Sala Baker (Sauron) has been hired, but no word on who he might play in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe....any theories?
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 11:52
*stepping forward in order not to let the thread die*

er... I know this is old news but... filming has started, cast has been casted and the best of it: WETA and Richard Taylor are in charge of props and stuff...

I´ve just seen a short making off video and it got me excited...

I´ve posted a few caps here in case anyone is interested. Lucy´s phial amazed me...

[Edited on 4/3/2005 by Elenisil]
BlueSting
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2005 01:29
Wow those props are cool!
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 10:27
I love the Chronicles of Narnia, I've been reading them regularly since I was about seven (although it took me several years to decide to read Magician's Nephew, for some reason I really didn't want to) and I can't wait for the film. I was reading Tolkien's biography recently though and somewhere in it the fact that Tolkien really didn't like the Narnia books came up - for some reason I took that a bit personally They're probably my two favourite series of all time and the authors were friends, but Tolkien didn't like Narnia!
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 08:44
I love the Cronicles of Narnia! I first read the Lion, the Wtich and the wardrobe when I was 8 or 9 (in Norwegian, ack
!), but somehow I couldn't seem to figure out which book was next, so I just read Lion, Witch & Wardrobe about 5 times Two years later I got the Magician's Nephew (still in Norwegian *sigh*) for my birthday, and one or two years ago my dad decided to buy all the books (in English, thank Varda!), and I just re-read them last week

I'm afraid the pictures won't show up Elenisil
I found them at another site, though, here's a link
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 06:35
The Chronicles of Narnia used to be my favorite book series. It got me interested in Christian fantasy which led me to liking LotR. My favorite one is the Last Battle. A close second is the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I think Lewis did an awsome job of symbolising Christian values in his mythic land while also applying some characters from his own life into the stories. :disco:
BlueSting
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 03:58
http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/narniaquiz/ --a great narnia personality quiz. I got Lucy. How about everyone else?
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 05:07
I'm Prince Rilian, hehe. Too bad I'm female. ;P

Anyway. I remember many moons ago, my Grad 4 teacher read us the entire Narnia series... Happy memories. (:

About a month ago, my husband and I went to Borders and he bought me the entire series, woo! I'm so thrilled that I get to re-read my favorite childhood stories, hehe.
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2005 09:17
I am really excited about this movie. Not only are Weta Workshop and Weta Digital doing the work, but they are filming in New Zealand.

Just watched the Teaser Trailer and really didn't like the look of some of the crowd shots. I think they stuck a few nonfinished shots into the trailer just for some action. They look like the animatics from LOTR.

If they don't look better on screen I personally am going to write a nasty letter to both departments. J/K lol.

[Edited on 23/5/2005 by Morna_Child_of_Eru]

[Edited on 23/5/2005 by Morna_Child_of_Eru]
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 02:00
BlueSting wrote:
http://www.jamiefrost.co.uk/narniaquiz/ --a great narnia personality quiz. I got Lucy. How about everyone else?
hehe. I'm Puddleglum!
I took the quiz several times (changing my answer only slightly) but I always got Puddleglum or Jill Pole. Actually, they're two of my favorite characters so that works for me.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 03:34
I was reading Tolkien's biography recently though and somewhere in it the fact that Tolkien really didn't like the Narnia books came up - for some reason I took that a bit personally They're probably my two favourite series of all time and the authors were friends, but Tolkien didn't like Narnia!

I definitely remember that from reading Tolkien's bio, although it has been a long time and I can't remember exactly what his problem with it was. Oh well, I guess you can be friends with someone and still not be ga-ga over his writing.
I saw the trailer before "Revenge of the Sith"...it looked good but I agree with whoever said a few shots looked unfinished.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 04:59
Ai! I can't believe I forgot all about this thread. :blush:

I saw the trailer Saturday night - I can't wait for the movie! Though - my husband did give me a 'funny' look.

But, as for the 'personality' thingy:
As Tirian, you are valiant, brave and loyal. While you may have a silly name, you help others in the face of adversity and always uphold what is right.

Very cool, I thought!
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 05:47
I'm very excited about this movie, especially after seeing the trailer before RotS. It looked really good, and even my husband is excited!

I'm rereading the books right now; they're my old copies from when I was about 5 years old, so they're getting a bit ragged.

I got Lucy in that quiz, LOL
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email