Author Topic:
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: C. S. Lewis // Chronicles of Narnia
on: May 23, 2005 06:58
I got Susan.

I do not believe it. I will not.

Ok, with that out of my system, let me just say that I am SO EXCITED about these movies. I didn't become a Tolkienite until January of 2005, and only just finished reading LotR a few weeks ago.

I missed the excitement of being a book fan waiting anxiously for each new movie installment, discussing rumors, and dressing up for opening night. I never got to see my favorite book play on the silver screen and then debate with others about the merits of the casting decisions. I got involved too late.

But I've loved Narnia since literally before I could read (mom read the books to me). Having missed the book/movie phenomena with LotR, I get another chance. Thank you God.

[Edited on 24/5/2005 by Morna_Child_of_Eru]
faramirsmyman
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2005 03:53
I got Susan.

I do not believe it. I will not.

Ok, with that out of my system, let me just say that I am SO EXCITED about these movies. I didn't become a Tolkienite until January of 2005, and only just finished reading LotR a few weeks ago.

I missed the excitement of being a book fan waiting anxiously for each new movie installment, discussing rumors, and dressing up for opening night. I never got to see my favorite book play on the silver screen and then debate with others about the merits of the casting decisions. I got involved too late.

But I've loved Narnia since literally before I could read (mom read the books to me). Having missed the book/movie phenomena with LotR, I get another chance. Thank you God.

[Edited on 24/5/2005 by Morna_Child_of_Eru]

I suggest you join a forum for such then. There's plenty in Narniaweb.com. Right now one of the main topics is who should be Aslan's voice. Brian Cox's voice didn't work because of some crazy thing he did to it. This is after he was cast. Oh, and right now, our beloved Gerard Butler is winning!!!!! (But then, this is our own opinions)
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 03:07
You are most like Peter Pevensie, once High King of Narnia. As Peter, you are brave, loyal yet intelligent, and are greatly respected for upholding what you think is right.

And I'm least like Queen Jadis. I suppose that's a good thing!

*runs off to see the trailer*
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 10:14
I think I may be the first to get the horse, lol.

As Bree the horse, you may be somewhat stubborn and proud, but you're still devoted to helping people, and are widely respected for your selflessness at times
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2005 04:19
*leaves some sugar cubes and apples for Aowyn*

:hug:
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 07:07
I'm here on a mission, to set the record straight regarding the order in which one should read the Chronicles of Narnia!

I read the books as a child with my Grade 4 class and recently my husband bought the complete Chronicles (all 7 books in one). I was reading the inside cover and HarperCollins included this opening statement. It said the following (and I quote):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although The Magician's Nephew was written several years after C.S. Lewis first began The Chronicles of Narnia, he wanted it to be read as the first book in the series. HarperCollins is happy to present these books in the order in which Professor Lewis preferred.

The seven Chronicles of Narnia (in reading order) were first published in Great Britain as follows:

The Magician's Nephew (copyright 1955)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (copyright 1950)
The Horse and His Boy (copyright 1954)
Prince Caspian copyright 1951)
The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader" copyright 1952)
The Silver Chair (copyright 1953)
The Last Battle (copyright 1956)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, on a recent trip to the bookstore, I was shocked (and dissappointed) to see that they changed the sequence of the Narnia books. I guess they wanted it to be more chronological, but I liked the original sequence with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" as the 1st book. It made all the events of "The Magician's Nephew" (which was originally the 6th book in the series) seem that much more magical because I was like "oh, so that's how that got there!", etc.

This explanation should clear up why it appeared the bookstore had "changed the order" on the series.

They hadn't. They were simply honoring C.S. Lewis' wishes.

Elenisil
The publishers changed the sequence of books (see my previous post). The original sequence (and the one that makes the most sense to me) goes like this:

1) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2) Prince Caspian
3) The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"
4) The Silver Chair
5) The Horse and His Boy
6) The Magician's Nephew
7) The Last Battle

Anyway, no matter how the books are packaged now, I'll always insist that they be in the order noted above. BTW, I have a box set printed in 1980.

This should clear up any confusion with the "original" sequence. As I stated at the beginning of this post, yes the books were published with the The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe being the "first" book in the series but C.S. Lewis intended it to be the second.

Also, you might insist that the books be read/packaged in the order you have stated above; however, I'm sure C.S. Lewis might have something to say about that, considering his intentions where his story are concerned.

Anyway, I mean no harm with this post. I was just re-reading the beginning portions of this thread and I noticed that a lot of people were confused as to which order to read the books in.

Yes, The Magician's Nephew was published second to the last and yes a lot of people might consider the "original" order to be the year in which they were published... however, it is still C.S. Lewis' story and at the end of the day, he has the last say in how his story should be interpreted - even read.

I hope this helps clear up some of that confusion. (:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 07:35
I can understand why they did so, if that's what Lewis wanted, but I personally think that The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe is a much better introduction to Narnia. It seems to me that some of the action in Magician's Nephew presupposes some experience or knowledge with the books written earlier. I can imagine some people new to the series who are going to be like, "Who the heck is this singing Lion? And why are these animals talking? This is a weird book." I just think that TLTWatW just introduces Narnia in a way that is more accessible. I'll always read them in the order that my edition has them in, but to each his own

I seem to recall hearing about a special edition that was printed relatively recently, with color illustrations. I thought it was all in a single volume, but all I can find is editions that are broken out into the individual books. Does anyone know anything about that?
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 01:47
I read online that if The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe do well they'll make more movies from the Chronicles.

Does that mean if they make all seven they'll make The Magician's Nephew second to last?

I hope so!
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 03:40
I seem to recall hearing about a special edition that was printed relatively recently, with color illustrations. I thought it was all in a single volume, but all I can find is editions that are broken out into the individual books. Does anyone know anything about that?

Yup. I have one with colour illustrations I found some links: Here and here.
I'm pretty sure that's the one I got, except mine hasn't got the little '50' sticker on it. The Magician's Nephew comes first in it, though.
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 04:13
I can understand why they did so, if that's what Lewis wanted, but I personally think that The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe is a much better introduction to Narnia. It seems to me that some of the action in Magician's Nephew presupposes some experience or knowledge with the books written earlier. I can imagine some people new to the series who are going to be like, "Who the heck is this singing Lion? And why are these animals talking? This is a weird book." I just think that TLTWatW just introduces Narnia in a way that is more accessible. I'll always read them in the order that my edition has them in, but to each his own

No, I totally agree with you Rivka. In fact, I couldn't agree more. The story does make a little more sense if you read it the way it was published.

In fact, how could I not agree with that statement when I'm such a huge fan of Tolkien?

It has been argued many times on the CoE as to which order one should read Tolkien's books and personally, I believe The Silmarillion should be read first even though it was published somewhat-last (::arms herself with a nerf bat just in case people try and attack her:: )

Really, the only problem I have with this Narnia-thing is that people (not from this site, they are people I've met IRL [in real life]) seem unwilling to accept C.S. Lewis' intentions for his own story. That's all. (:

Either way, you are right, that in the end it is up to personal preferrence... though, this time around I think I'm going to try and read The Magician's Nephew first and see where I get, *laughs*

I've seen the illustrated version(s) Celedë Anthaas is/are talking about and they are absolutely gorgeous!
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 06:25

No, I totally agree with you Rivka. In fact, I couldn't agree more. The story does make a little more sense if you read it the way it was published.

In fact, how could I not agree with that statement when I'm such a huge fan of Tolkien?

It has been argued many times on the CoE as to which order one should read Tolkien's books and personally, I believe The Silmarillion should be read first even though it was published somewhat-last (::arms herself with a nerf bat just in case people try and attack her:: )

Really, the only problem I have with this Narnia-thing is that people (not from this site, they are people I've met IRL [in real life]) seem unwilling to accept C.S. Lewis' intentions for his own story. That's all. (:

Either way, you are right, that in the end it is up to personal preferrence... though, this time around I think I'm going to try and read The Magician's Nephew first and see where I get, *laughs*

I've seen the illustrated version(s) Celedë Anthaas is/are talking about and they are absolutely gorgeous!

When I first read them I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspain, and The Treader Dawn then quit. I don't know why, but I couldn't read the Horse and His Boy, The Silver Chair, and beyond.

Strange, now I read The Horse and His Boy the most, but The Last Battle is my favorite.

Oh, and on the personality quiz I got Jewel..

[Edited on 31/5/2005 by Failië]
Rivka
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 09:38
That's interesting -- The Last Battle is actually my least favorite. I'm not sure why, but I've just never liked it as much; it didn't really capture my imagination. I'm rereading the books right now, though, so when I come to it, I'll see if I can pinpoint what I don't like. I'm not too big on the Silver Chair, either -- the whole underground thing just kind of bores me, but I do love Puddleglum!

My favorite has always been the Voyage of the Dawn Treader -- I just love the different lands they come across. It's very exciting. And I love Reepicheep Magician's Nephew has always been a favorite of mine, too.

I imagine it's a little strange...I'm an avowed atheist (try not to be too shocked; I'm still a nice person ), and yet I still love these books. I think there's a lot of positive things that can be gotten from them, even for those of us that are not Christian or religious.

The specific Christian allegories found within the books are not of personal interest to me, but there are still core themes of decency, responsibility, kindness, respect, etc. that are very present throughout the books that I personally enjoy. Please don't think that I am disrespecting Lewis' Christianity -- I know he was strong in his Christian faith; I just prefer to enjoy the pieces and aspects out of the books that pertain to me and that I find valuable to myself and my world view. I think that's one of the reasons his Narnia books are so popular and of interest even to modern readers -- he can speak to multiple audiences at once.
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 09:58
I imagine it's a little strange...I'm an avowed atheist (try not to be too shocked; I'm still a nice person ), and yet I still love these books. I think there's a lot of positive things that can be gotten from them, even for those of us that are not Christian or religious.

I agree completely! I'm not very religious myself, but I still learn a lot from books (and I love it!) whether they are religious or not.

I never really liked the Last Battle Either. It's so sad! I cried when I read about Narnia being destroyed, gone... Even though it's still there in a way, it isn't the same. I hope you know what I mean. And it's the last book, it's over *sniff* The Silver Chair has never been one of my favourites either, I think the books with the Pevensies are better I don't know if I really have a favourite. I love The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, especially the last bit after Edmund isn't such a git anymore. The way he changes from the beginning of Lion, Witch & Wardrobe to the end is just amazing!
The Horse and His Boy is wonderful too, because it's all in the Golden Age of Narnia. That, and I love the title (just like my cat; she owns me *lol*). and of course Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.Travelling...:love:
Like I said, I love the Narnia books with the Pevensies as main characters

[Edited on 31/5/2005 by Celedë_Anthaas]
Rivka
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 10:36
I have to agree with you -- barring the Magician's Nephew, I like the books with the Pevensies as the main characters the best. I don't dislike the Horse and His Boy, but it's not among my favorites.

One of the things I like best about Dawn Treader is the change in Eustace. My husband and I always call him "Useless Scrub" He's such an annoying character, but he kind of grows on you, especially after his dragon incident.
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 11:28
I read the Chronicles many times when I was younger, but now that I'm reading them, I find them very childish and dull. A while ago I got the Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics, that has many of his most popular essays, stories, etc. in one book. His other writings are far more enjoyable to me.

[Edited on 7/12/2005 by orthanc5]
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 02:19
I think I like The Last Battle the best because it has a unicorn in it....I did read these when I was unicorn obsessed, you know. And it brings all the characters together for one big happy ending.

I tend to read the ones with Penvensies, including The Horse and His Boy, the most and not really focus on The Magician's Nephew, The Silver Chair, or The Last Battle....

Strange, but, well, I am strange.
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 02:21
I while ago I got the Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics, or something like that, that has most of his most popular essays, stories, etc. in one book.

What a find indeed! *searches for it so she can get her hands on a copy*
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 04:30
I read Mere Christianity, but apart from that..oh and The Screwtape Letters, which was really good, I've just read the Narnia books.

I want a copy too! *Goes searching*
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 01:51
Unfortunately I never had a teacher require us to read these books so I never did. I think I skipped over a lot childhood books and went straight to grown-up books...

I was in the library the other day and found the Chronicles of Narnia. All 7 of them in one book in the order that C.S. Lewis intended them to be in. So, this afternoon I finished 'The Magician's Nephew' and I am hooked!!!

I am fascinated with Narnia and Aslan...:love:

[Edited on 7/7/2005 by LadyCeleborn]
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 03:53
Funny, I'm listening to the Radio Theatre of The Magician's Nephew!
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: July 08, 2005 11:03
I saw the trailer for the movie not to long ago, it looks great! Now I just have to read the books before the movie comes out Being Dutch has certain downsides, one being that I didn't get to read the Chronicles as a kid (beats me why, but no one bothered to tell me about them). So now I'll just do it myself, including some other works of Lewis, such as ''The Great Divorce''.

I'll tell you all more when I get my hands on some copies, they're hardly available in the library. But hey, I wanted to have them for my own anyway.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 02:58
I just found out yesterday that my brother is now in Oxford (there were many concerns about it due to the bombings, but they assured him it's safe) for some continuing education classes at the University.

But... when he called my mom, one of the first things he said was that it was awesome to be 'walking the same paths as C.S. Lewis'!

*is way jealous*

Narnia is ever in the hearts of my whole family, as you can see!

*patiently waits for the movie...*
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 04:45
I've read the books they are classics.

I saw the trailer and I'm going to dig up the books and reread at least a couple of them. But the movie looks bad...the animation was terrible.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: July 30, 2005 10:23
Do you really think so? I thought they looked pretty good. All WETA work.

Anyways, I've bought, admired and devoured the books. Absolutely great.

My fave character is Susan, please don't ask me why, she just is. I was so disappointed when Lewis left her out in ''The Last Battle''. I feel like there should have been a chapter on her making amends or something.
Don_Palantir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2005 05:15
Chronicles of Narnia are quite new and quite unknown books here.
But I hope with the movie the books will be available on bookstore so I can read them.
Legolasfan1113
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2005 09:40
I've seen the trailer to the movie a few times and got chills every time. I watched some BTS stuff on the official website of the movie, and just pray that the moive is good. All I ask is that it be better than the BBC movie version. I think it will be.
Kazakhrider
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2005 02:49

Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 12:55
I could probably find this online somewhere, but what the heck, I'll ask...is the actor playng the Professor the same actor who played Mr. Bennett in Pride and Prejudice? They look the same based on the pics above.
Kazakhrider
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2005 08:19
No I don't think they're the same.

There's some movie music out now too, the tune that Tumnus plays to Lucy on his flute.

http://www.walden.com/teach/movies/audio/lww_narnianlullaby.mp3
Legolasfan1113
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 07:04
Hey guys. As you may or may not know there is a Inspirational soundtrack coming out in on the 27th for Chronicles of Narnia. One song that I know of is written from the point of view of Lucy to about Aslan: Here's some of the lyrics. (As you know this story is an allegory, so if this offends you don't to look at the lyrics, because they are a bit spiritual in nature. I mean to offend no one. All in all, I hope you like them:

These lyrics may not be 100% accurate as they were typed by ear from a recording.

"Mysterious, that's what I call You
I'm curious about You
I'm scared and not sure that You are safe
But Your eyes seem to say that You are good

Chorus
This is not a dream that I'm living
This is just a world of Your own
It took me from a moment I knew
Shown how it feels to hope
With you with me facing tomorrow
Together I can learn to fly
Feels like I'm living in a lion's mouth
But the lion is an angel

Wise eyes, You see the core in me
Your gentleness melts me
And now I know that words cannot describe
The power that I feel when I'm with You

Chorus
But the lion is

Peace and power
Love forever
Who am I to
stand before You
I am speechless
But in my weakness
You are here and all is well

You took me from all that I knew
Shown me how it feels to hope
But the lion is (an angel)

Chorus
But the lion is an angel

is an angel"

If you would like to find out more about this song you can go here: http://www.narniafans.com/movies/st/mov_st_rsj.php

Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 07:54
So is this going to be an official soundtrack or "songs-inspired-by-the-books" sort of cd? And does anyone have a release date on a soundtrack?
Thanks
Legolasfan1113
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 03:17
So is this going to be an official soundtrack or "songs-inspired-by-the-books" sort of CD? And does anyone have a release date on a soundtrack?
Thanks

It's not the official soundtrack score. This is a collection of songs by Christian artists who have put the pen to paper to write songs that were inspired by the books. I believe it comes out September 27th of this year. Pretty soon!
Other artists on it include Bethany Dillon, Jeremy Camp, Steven Curtis Chapman, Jars of Clay, Nichole Nordman, and others.
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 05:30
I've read the books, and they're absolute classics!
Seen the trailer, looks awesome!
Release on Dec 26.
Seen Andrew Adamson (the director) on a teaser talking about the movie - he looks a bit like a hippy with his beard and long hair! So cool!
Does anyone know if Liam Neeson's going to be in the movie?
Kazakhrider
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 08:06
Yeah Liam Neeson is the voice of Aslan. New pictures btw:

Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 01:06
WOW!!! I just got through lookin at the list of soundtrack artist.... and that is QUITE a list!!! :love: :love: Not only is this going to be one AWESOME movie... but its going to have one of the best soundtracks EVER!!!!! :love: :disco: :disco: :love:

man, i thought i was already a big Narnia fan after reading the books.... hehehehee... boy was i wrong!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email