Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Of Dragons and Caverns (scripted: pm to join)
on: January 21, 2004 02:19
Haldan rode at the head, well aware of many eyes on him.
They had not noticed that he was leading them off the original route. Good.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 03:03
Maethir was pleased that Gudrith was relenting on his closeness a little, but the news of the crebain came as ill tidings. The half-elf hated the presance of the birds, for they seemed to carry shadow with them and spoke of evil news. Up ahead, Haldan continued confidantly. What did he think that he was doing? Where did his loyalty lie? With only himself? Haldan has disappeared after the Ring had been destroyed, but beyond that Maethir knew nothing of the elf's travel then.

((Note: We agreed that this would take place in the Fourth Age, correct?))

[Edited on 22/1/2004 by CarolP]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 02:22
After they rode like this for an hour more, Haldan unexpectedly called rfor them to halt. "We will stop here." he siad, rasing his hand.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 03:16
Randiron had ridden in silence, his keen eyes fixed on Haldan's back, when his eyes were suddenly drawn upward. "Crebain!" he whispered to himself as he identified the black shapes winging high overhead. A chill ran through him as the birds swiftly few out of sight. This was not good!

The Elf turned in his saddle and quietly called Maethir forward.

"I just noticed a couple of crebain flying over us. I think they might be spying on us. What do you think?" Randiron asked nervously.

Maethir looked up.

"I think we should be more careful. We should expect an attack, for worst."

"I agree," Randiron nodded. "Now, let's catch Haldan." He rode faster forward. He slowed Nauren again a few lengths behind their guide, while Maethir kept Jag beside and a little behind him. Loryn didn't seem to notice that anything was wrong, but the Elf wasn't sure.

Again, Haldan's words in Imladris came back to haunt Randiron, and as he pondered them, something struck him. Haldan had only said that Hîr Elrond had commanded his addition to their mission! Neither he - nor Maethir had any direct confirmation of the Lord's wishes in this matter!

Randiron became more and more nervous, and Nauren began to sense it, tossing his head and pulling against the bit. With an effort, Randiron forced himself to be calm, but then Haldan quite unexpectedly called a halt.

Randiron stared at the elf and exchanged a worried glance with Maethir. What did Haldan think he was doing? Why stop here? With every nerve and elven sense tensed, Randiron slowly dismounted.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 05:34
As Haldan asked them to stop, Maethir's hand slipped to his hip where a long dagger hung. Gudrith couldn't help but notice. Randiron dismounted reluctantly, Maethir was faster, but Gudrith remained sitting on Jag. The nervousness he felt all the way had grown, and he was about to get away, any direction. But he managed to bring himself under control and put an indifferent expresion on his face as he dismounted. Maethir went to talk to Randiron, leaving Gudrith behind. He was more than curious to know what they were discussing. but instead turned his back on them and talked to Jag.

"You can feel it, can't you?" he whispered to the horse. Jag neighed softly and sniffed Gudrith's cheek. A shadow of a smile appeared on the boy's face as he patted the animal's soft nose. His eyes lost the tense expression they always had and softened. The horse had accepted Gudrith, and somehow it felt warm in his heart. He caressed Jag, an action so strange to him, but he somehow felt a need to caress someone, even if it was a horse. Jag moved his ears in delight and neighed again, questioningly. Gudrith shook his head.

"No, I don't know why everybody's so worried. I know only why I am. Do you think I should leave? I am a danger to all of them, especially to your master. Do you know that he has been the only one that has treated me kindly in the Middle-Earth? It was so strange at first, and it still is. I have a feeling he does not hide anything behind it, but I'm afraid to trust... " Jag shook himself mightily. Gudrith arched his eyebrows. "You don't agree? Then even more so I have to leave. It would be most ungrateful from my side to endanger him... and you," he sighed. He scratched between Jag's ears, and the horse exhiled loudly, sending dust in clouds around them. "When I'm gone, the orcs won't be hunting them anymore, they will turn to chase me," he added quietly, leaning against Jag who stood now quietly, as if he didn't want to bother him.

[Edited on 23/1/2004 by CarolP]
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 02:19
Haldan dismounted his horse and walked away in the direction they had been going befor he had called a halt. He walked a little way, turned around, and came back, mounting his horse.

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 03:10
There was a brief tension between all of the companions until Haldan mounted his horse again. Maethir resheathed his knife quietly, very thankful that he did not have to use it. As he turned, he noticed Gudrith leaning against Jag and looking a little more kindly towards him. No large differance, but he detected a little less likeliness of hostility. The half-elf said nothing, but in his heart was glad a more hopeful. If, indeed, they were headed towards danger, they would need to hold to eachother. One who did not, might endanger the others. Maethir looked sadly towards Haldan. Even now, he did not want to believe ill of him, but his suspicions, his guesses, were there...

[Edited on 24/1/2004 by CarolP]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 02:15
Hladan suddenly signaled to start. "Come on!" he shouted. He started riding in the same direction that they had been treveling in.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 12:11
Randiron was confused. First Haldan calls a halt, and now to restart? The Elf swiftly remounted Nauren and followed behind their guide. Where in Eru's name was he taking them?

Randiron well knew they were still headed in the wrong direction, but when he glanced at Maethir, the half-elf only shrugged. And Guddo... the elf noticed that Guddo's face was pale, and as they rode, Randiron noticed the youngster's hand hovering over his knife-hilt.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 03:42
Gudrith couldn't help it. He felt the tension had reached the top, and one more drop and he was going to explode. He felt naked and explored to all the dangers, every second he expected an arrow piercing the air and hitting his back. Or chest, he wasn't sure. His hand had grabbed his knife-hilt and no force would make him let it go.

He stared at the mountain in front of them, and it seemed black. It was getting closer with every step the horses took. Jag must have felt Gudrith's nervousness, because the animal kept throwing his head up and down and stubbornly turning aside, causing Maethir full hands of work to do.

His large blue eyes had turned almost black, as they met Randiron's gaze. The elf was worried, Gudrith could tell it for sure. Do something! he sent him a silent plea though he knew the elf couldn't understand him. They continued the ride.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 09:44
Maethir was struggling with Jag until he finally allowed the horse to do as he would. For no apparant reason, the horse stopped and stared to their right. His ears were pricked up and his nostrils widened. He would not move on. Maethir nudged him gently, then dismounted. He took a few steps forward, looking and tryng to find what the horse saw or felt. Haldan swung his horse around and began walking it towards the half-elf.

Suddenly an arrow came whizzing out of the dark forest where they had been looking. It was joined by three more shafts. Maethir ran backwards and dragged Gudrith from the horse's back, both narrowly missing being hit. Haldan calmly drew his bow-string and let fly his arrow. There came a sharp orcish squeal in response. Maethir carefully kept himself in front of Gudrith as he joined Haldan in defending.

"We must fall back," he yelled to Randiron. "If we cannot see them well, we cannot hold them!"
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 01:28
Loryn's horse reared back with a long whinny as an arrow shot through the air in front of them. Loryn grabbed a short knife from her pack and swiftly dismounted, turning her horse off the path so it would be out of danger.

She looked around, and then saw that the knife in her hand would be no match for these hidden enemies. Tossing it to the side, she grabbed an arrow from her back and notched it to her bowstring. Glancing around, she saw nothing.

Haldan fired an arrow, and got a small noise in response, so she shot her arrow in the direction he was aiming. She jumped to the side as another few arrows came in her direction, and waited for instruction from the others.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 02:15
Randiron's eyes blazed in anger as he whipped his bow around with elven speed. It had not escaped his notice that only Haldan seemed to know where their enemy lay hidden, for or only their guide's arrows seemed to truly do any dammage.

He heard Maethir's cry to fall back and agreed. But to where? Nauren shied as an arrow whizzed perilously close to his head. Not caring whether he struck anything or not, Randiron let fly an answer.

Without thinking, the Elf cried, "Back! Back to the clearing!" He continued firing with elven-speed while Maethir and Guddo scrambled to re-mount Jag. Then, he, Maethir and Loryn quickly headed back to where Haldan had last stopped them. And as he rode, Randiron didn't care whether their guide was riding with them or not.

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by CarolP]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 02:20
Haldan followed slowly, his back to them. He fired arrows, one every three seconds, but hit orcs very little. The clearing, Randirion had said. More time wasted.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 04:32
Maethir was very angry with Haldan! "You led us into a trap!" he said in elvish when the elf rode close to him. Haldan merely looked at him as though he were an idiot. "Dirty half-blood elf" rang through the glance and Maethir knew it. He yanked Jag's head so that he looked away from Haldan. Why? Why would Haldan do this? He turned and checked on Gudrith. Good! He was all right.

Maethir still felt an enormous ammount of energy even though the fight was over. He put away his weapons and closed his eyes. Something he hadn't noticed, a sharp pain, shot through his arm. Blood trickled from the flesh wounds as he remembered. It must have been when he grabbed Gudrith from the path of the arrow; it must have hit him. He sighed, it did not go deep, he would live.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 05:08
Gudrith felt the tension that had held him relax. He wished he would be a little useful in the battle, but he was nothing but a burden. Still, while Randiron, Maethir and Haldan were shooting back, he stared closely at the bushes over the half-elf's shoulder. Maethir suddenly pulled him aside, and an arrow sang by his ear. Another, though, pierced Maethir's arm, but he didn't notice. Gudrith could sense the rage inside the half-elf.

When they had reached the clearing, Randiron stopped. Loryn seemed unhurt. Haldan joined them. The attack stopped. Randiron turned towards Haldan, his voice trembling with restrained anger:

"Now what was the meaning of this?"

"He led us into an ambush!" repeated Maethir. "If not for Jage, we would have been dead by now!"

A heavy silence hung over them.

"There were only four or five orcs," suddenly came Gudrith's calm and clear voice. Everybody but Haldan turned to face him.

"How do you know?" Randiron asked.

"I did a little counting while you were fighting." All of a sudden the itching on his back returned. "We should better get out of here," he suggested.
In the Realm of Ulmo
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 02:18
I did not lead you into a trap!" Haldan said, interupting. Why would you think I lead you into a trap?" he waited for a response.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 02:42
Randiron tore his eyes away from Guddo, and they blazed in anger as he addressed their guide. His voice, however, was deathy quiet as he said, "If not to do such, then why are we heading in the wrong direction? Do you think I, or Maethir, are so blind as not to see it?"

[Edited on 29/1/2004 by eldir]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 03:47
Haldan seemed lost for words. He glared into Randirons eyes, maching his Randirons anger with his own darkness.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 07:22
Maethir was not to be pleased and looked almost ready to kill Haldan. The elf had willingly led them into a trap! Betrayed them! But he waited, silently controling himself while he waited for Randiron to make a judgement. The wound in his arm was bleeding heavily and while he waited, he attempted to staunch the blood.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 08:08
From the corner of his eye, Randiron saw Loryn dismount and hurry to Maethir's aid, but the elf could not take his eyes off of Haldan's. Randiron had never felt such fury - from within or from without as he met their guide's burning gaze.

How long they stood there, Randiron didn't know, but Guddo's voice interruped. "We need to get out of here, now!" he insisted. The elf's eyes flashed as he threw the youngster a quick glance, and then returned it to Haldan.

"We go," he said tightly, glaring at their tall guide. "But, we go in the right direction!" Without waiting for a response, Randiron leapt lightly onto Nauren's back, and stared again at Haldan as he waited.

[Edited on 30/1/2004 by CarolP]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 02:39
Haldan stared back at Randiron, meeting his gaze. He wasn't afraid of them! They couldn't prove that he had done that.

[Edited on 31/1/2004 by eldir]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 11:41
As they started, Gudrith threw a glance at Haldan. In the depth of the elve's eyes there was darkness. Loryn had put a bandage on Maethir's arm, but the blood still soaked through it. Guddo stared at the red spot that was getting bigger, and a mad fury arose in his heart. Haldan had led them into a trap, and it was his fault Maethir was wounded!

[Edited on 2/2/2004 by eldir]
In the Realm of Ulmo
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 07:35
"Hannon le," Maethir smiled as Loryn helped him. He would not have done a good job of it himself. Looking around, he noticed how angry Gudrith looked. This was strange. Normally, he would had an atitude of 'let them fight' rather than caring. It seemed that now everyone was ready to fight eachother, and the half-elf wondered if this was because of his impassioned influence.

Haldan looked at him in hatred, while Randiron plotted a new course. They mounted and started off again. Much more wary, now, and much less trusting of their guide.
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 03:36
"Hannon le," Maethir said to her as she finished tending to his arm. She checked it one last time before getting back to her horse and checking him for wounds. He had none as he had taken off, so she just mounted again and rode over to where Maethir was mounting.

"If you need any more help, just tell one of us," she said to him, turning her horse back around to the path.

They started off on a new course, Randiron leading them this time. She glanced back at Haldan, and saw an angry look on his face.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 03:49
Randiron could feel waves of anger battering his senses as Haldan followed him, but he didn't care. The Elf darted his eyes in every direction, tensed for whatever would befall them next.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 02:23
Haldan rode at the back of the party in a sullen silence. He would be in deep trouble when they got back to Imladris, but that didn't matter. What mattered was those enemies in front of him. Should he... No, no yet, but soon. Very soon.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 05:06
The leader of the orc-group lifted his hand, and the others stopped. The orc smelled the air. Then, something like a nasty smile appeared on his ugly face.

"They're near," he said satisfied. Then weaved to his group:
"You go left, and you right! They shouldn't be further than the small valley. You," he said to the ones that were supposed to go left, "close the valley from the opposite side. And you," he turned to the other group, "don't let them escape on the right side. We will follow them..." he finished. At his sign, the two groups consisting of ten orcs on wargs each, galloped away. His own group of twelve orcs followed the tracks of the four horses, the noses of the wargs closely pressed to the ground. They didn't hurry, they still had time.

[Edited on 3/2/2004 by CarolP]
In the Realm of Ulmo
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 06:32
Randiron led the way and the elves pressed onwards. The horses stayed quiet and all seemed to pass in a strange lull of inactivity. Maethir was still angry at Haldan, as was everyone except perhaps Loryn, but he seemed not to care.

Their course had now altered, but by Haldan's leading, they were still close to the mountains. And now the Sun was waning; they would have to make camp soon.

[Edited on 6/2/2004 by CarolP]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 05:04
Randiron almost regretted seeing the sun setting. True, they were closer to the mountains, but the diversion from the true path bothered him more and more.

Keenly, he surveyed the forest around them, and then, he found a small clearing, surrounded by a dense thicket. It could be well guarded, he thought, and signaled the small party to stop there.

As soon as they dismounted, Loryn checked Maethir's wound and re-bound it. Once done, they set about making a fire.

Randiron, on the other hand, motioned to Guddo and said, "Keep your eyes sharp while I hunt our dinner." Without a backward glance, the Elf un-slung his bow and disappeared between the trees.

redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 02:19
((ooc: is my avatar showing? It isn't on my computer. I think it might have gotten erased in that avatar thing they did last week )

Haldan dismounted his horse, and then unpacked his things for his supper, starting to build a fire and cook his supper.

[Edited on 6/2/2004 by eldir]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 03:42
((no, I can't see your avatar, RRR )))

Gudrith was surprised to be left on guard by Randiron. This new, unexpected responsibility was something strange to be aware of. He followed the elf with his eyes until he disappeared and then sat down by the fire. Maethir was talking quietly to Loryn, and Haldan was even more alone than before. For this time he was ignored on purpose by everybody, not only avooiding them himself. Gudrith watched the forest around them instead of paying attention to his companions.
It was getting dark.

In the Realm of Ulmo
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 10:14
((I see it now. The squirrel one, right?))

Maethir listened quietly to the talk od Randiron and Loryn, joining them occasionally. Gudrith stood guard and Haldan stayed apart from them. The half-elf looked from one to another, then lay back and closed his eyes.

[Edited on 8/2/2004 by eldir]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2004 02:32
((ooc: surely we'll go to 7 pages soon, right?)

Haldan glared at Gudrith. What should he do now? Give it all up and into the open, or try to get out of it?
Curse the bad luck!
Though his mind seethed with anger, his face was a stony mask.

[Edited on 9/2/2004 by eldir]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 04:04
Staring at the trees, Gudrith was suddenly startled by somebody approching him. He jumped up, his black knife in his hand, threatening the possible attacker.

But it was only Loryn, wide-eyed out of surprise.

"I'm sorry," Gudrith muttered an apology. He really hadn't meant to scare her. But he felt that his strength was returning and he was almost ready to face whatever would come. Thanks to the good food...

"I... I thought I could come to talk to you. Maethir is sleeping, I think. He has to let his wound heal. Randiron is away, hunting, and Haldan... But if you want to be alone," she turned to leave.

"No, don't," Gudrith extended his hand to stop her before he realized what he was doing. "I'd love to talk to you," he said, feeling confused. "It is good to have a company, sometimes," he added. Mostly, it was not good.
In the Realm of Ulmo
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email