Register

<< First1213141516Last >>
Author Topic:
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part II
on: March 13, 2005 11:52
Ah well, seasons all mixed up here in the Midlands. Saw the first lambs today, and the daffodils are out, but we had flakes of snow and about 5 celsius. Can't make its mind up!
Took the children to a playground this afternoon near a sailing lake, and the boats were all out but the crews looked pretty chilly when they came in, and the children had frozen hands. Why is it that they never listen to Mummy about gloves?! Still, my lettuce seedlings are still hanging on in the unheated greenhouse so with a bit of luck I'll have something to plant out in the garden when the weather warms up a bit.

Anyone else planning for their garden veg yet?

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 02:23
The siren call of the garden center has been heard at our house lately. We made a trek to the local center and did buy a few things today. I got some pretty iris for my iris bed, a new color of peony, and some yellow squash and zuchini [sp]. It's nowhere near warm enough to plant anything yet, but the call is certainly there. We found some oddball white cucumber seeds that tempted us. The cucumber skin and the flesh are all white. I'd never seen anything like it. But at $1 a seed, I thought it a little pricey for my taste.

The weather was pretty nice last week except for the howling wind that took down...permanantly (there goes the kitchen remodel for this year...again) part of the back fence that - when we looked at it - needs to be completely replaced. *sigh* But this week there is snow in the forecast. Ahhh, springtime in the Midwest!!
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 07:21
Hello how is everyone doing? I have been quite busy with school work and trying to get everything done before spring break next week. The weather is so weird, Saturday was a beautiful day the sun out and very warm and then Sundsay it got very cold again, I have been fighting a cold for awhile and this change in the weather so much is not helping at all. I hope that everyone is having a wonderful day.
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 11:06
Well, the sun is out today...the snow storm of the weekend is past but not forgotten... mud is oozing everywhere...and it feels as if a good nap could take place in the sun. Spring is coming... that is what I keep saying. Last week was almost zero, this week it's 45.
Usually we can see crocuses or hyacinth...boo...nothing but snow. And the river is rising. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the northeast saw flooding this year. I am less than a quarter mile from the Connecticut R. My prayers go to those who will be just 20 miles south where the river really opens up. I, at least, have a 20-30 foot drop.
I haven't seen any spring babies yet, oh, wait, that's not quite true. I went by the local dairy and did see a few holstein babies. They were a bit frisky. Always fun to see their antics.
Have a wonderful week... enjoy the sun... and may the luck of the Irish be with you. (I have two great grandmothers who came from Ireland ...or is that great-great ?)
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 01:15
It actually rained here in the Pacific Northwest today.

I see nobody remembers me here :cry:. It would help if I show up more than twice in a montha eh?
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: March 17, 2005 08:34
Arveleg, don't worry, I think that actually everybody remembers you here, even if you don't drop in so often. :wave:

We got more snow today. And, in the morning, the roads were so icy that the traffic was just chaotic. It should be about time to get even a bit warmer - the whole March has been colder than average...
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2005 06:01
Willie the Weasel wishes you all a very happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 02:28
*I* remember you, Arveleg! And as a receipent of a VERY busy life, I can totally understand not being here often...well often enough for my taste.

Old Tom, LOVE the weasel! The spousal unit and I picked up an Easter card for our son that had a tree frog on the front with bunny ears and a basket. Inside it said, "Look, it's the Easter ribbit!" HAD to buy that one. LOL

I hope that all of you have a wonderful weekend!
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 03:32
Tom, LOVE the weasel. My mundane name is (Louise) so I get called weasel all the time. We are happily into mud season. Jonquils up, crocuses keep trying but then the dogs stamp em down to mud, then they come in and jump up on the furniture with muddy paws.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 06:55
Just thought I would poke my head in and see what's up with everyone. :wave:

I'm from the Great White North and the weather here was great 2 weeks ago. The sun was nice and warm, the streets were clear of snow and water. It was great. Now this week we ended up with 2 inches of snow, the streets are slippery at nights and during the day when the sun is showing, the streets get slushy. Makes a mess on the cars. The mornings are cold but it warms up a little in the afternoon.

Old Tom, love the weasel. Somewhere in my background we have a little Irish. Hope you had green ale on St. Patty's Day. Did anyone wear green on St. Patrick's Day? I heard if you do, it brings good luck to you all day. I wore green. Everything went great.

Anyways, everyone have a Happy Easter and don't eat too many easter eggs. If anyone wants to know a shortcut to making easter eggs, boil your eggs, take the shells off them and put them into beet juice for one week. You will get purple eggs with pink centers. Great way to enjoy eggs year round.

Talk to you all soon. :love: :disco:
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 08:50
O wore green. I would have anyway, because its traditional, but my boss said anyone who wore green got to leave an hour early! You can bet we were ALL wearing the green. My children got to come to school out of uniform if they wore green, too, so we were a very green family.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 11:54
I wasn't too much into green myself. I did get home before my daughter, and she wore this green ..... "mini-dress". I got on her case for going to school in lingerie! So a rather serious and occasionally heated "discussion" came about as to what was appropriate to wear in public... sixteen year olds ... yeeesh
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 01:12
Her's to my great- great grandmothers... Happy St. Patrick's Day !
Yes, I did wear green for them... a green floral shirt with a green plaid jacket... I went together rather well !
Anyway, great weasel Ol'Tom ! Spring is coming ! I can feel it in the air... I can feel it... You know, I think I've heard that line before.
We've had 50 degrees for 3 days now... I can hardly believe it ! Wonderful !
Got my case for the EE "s today. Perfect !
There's a Middle Earth Fair coming up in Cal. in April. I read it on Alleycats web site. I work too much... everyone enjoy themselves this weekend .
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 08:16
balrog wrote:
Old Tom, love the weasel. Somewhere in my background we have a little Irish. Hope you had green ale on St. Patty's Day. Did anyone wear green on St. Patrick's Day? I heard if you do, it brings good luck to you all day. I wore green. Everything went great.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the weasel. I found him by chance and thought I'd share him all with you.

No green ale, but my wife and I did wear green and had a traditional dinner of corned beef and cabbage. I served it with boiled carrots and a glaze made with orange juice, brown sugar, orange zest, and butter. It was yummy!

My wife and I both have Irish in our family. Her maiden name is Irish, and my maternal grandmother's surname was Irish.

We've had peculiar weather lately. We've been getting all the signs of spring--last weekend the temperature was in the low 80s--but this weekend it's been storming with thunder, lightning, wind, and rain.

MelianAnoriel wrote:
There's a Middle Earth Fair coming up in Cal. in April. I read it on Alleycats web site. I work too much... everyone enjoy themselves this weekend .
Aye, the Middle-earth Festival in Vacaville, CA (midway between Sacramento and San Francisco) is April 7-10. My wife and I will be checking it out on Saturday, April 9th.

LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 21, 2005 11:52
Well finally Spring hit us this weekend. When I arrived home on Friday after work, the birds were chirping away, the children were running around in the garden, the back door was wide open letting in the fresh garden scents... fantastic. Only downside was no remaining excuses for not cutting the lawns! All my miniature daffodils are in full flower, along with the hellebores, snowdrops and primroses. I love it when the garden wakes up and bursts forth. I worked out that we had seen a 20 degree Celsius change in the temperature in just about 2 weeks!
Of course, by Sunday the clouds had rolled back in again. Still, at this stage I can be optimistic about nice weather for the Easter weekend until proved wrong. Can't I?
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 02:10
Deary me, it is an eternity since I was here.

Glad to read everyone is having half decent weather. Yes, LadyA, does seem Spring is with us.

I do envy those of you with gardens. I have a little plot, not much, but tis mine own. I have pots and planters in my back yard (not garden in the UK. ) and run out of space in the front plot.

I love to see new life, trees, flowers, etc.

You are lucky Brandywine being on a farm.

I too remember you Arveleg. :hug: And the weasel is a treat, Old Tom.

As regards the change in the weather...remember the old adage...'Ne'er cast a clout till May is out'. I have only seen a few May trees in bloom, so no casting those woollies off yet, ladies and gentleman.

Good to see everyone in good spirits. Keep well and take care.

Rose
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 08:08
Greetings from Scotland. :cheers: I made a weekend trip to meet some friends there. There, it was already full spring... Here, they've finally promised a bit warmer, but it will still take a long time for all that snow to melt.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 05:15
You are so lucky, Morwinyoniel, to be in Scotland in the spring! I miss it so, and I was only there for two and a half days! The journal topic for today was, "If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be and why?" Of course, the kids had no trouble figuring out where I'd be...the Highlands of Scotland.

It rained here today...thank goodness. We have been sooo dry. My peonies are starting to poke themselves up out of the ground, and the magnolia tree is in full bud. I hope it doesn't freeze and lose all of them. It's so gorgeous when it's in full flower.

The rest of the week...even through the Easter weekend... is supposed to be chilly. We've had a taste of spring and I am longing for more than just that little taste. Even though it hasn't been particularly snowy this winter - according to Nebraska standards for snow - I am ready for the warmth of spring. I guess I'll have to satisfy myself with the warmth of friendship until then. Warmest regards to all of you, and I hope that spring finds you soon.
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2005 04:47
Easter break starts at 12:30 today. I need to pick yp the darlings from school, then I'm taking off work until next Tuesday morning. Not travelling this year, spending time at home and some local day trips. We are finally getting some spring flowers - the combination of early Easter and colder than usual weather results in a LOT less flowering and general greeness than usual for the holiday.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2005 07:45
Yeah, this is the year that Easter is in March. Next year it will be in mid April.

Not doing much this year. Will be going to the folks for dinner on Saturday. So I will relax some I guess.
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: March 23, 2005 08:44
Just relaxing, me too. On Saturday evening I'll attend a rock concert with my older daughter though - it's really great that she likes the band too, they've been playing since the late 70's and the guys are about my age.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 01:19
Isnt's it wonderful to see the sun and the buds-a-poppin!! *sigh*. Itsn't mother nature sooo clever, when she is in a good mood that is.

Oh, to be in Scotland now that spring is here. *another sigh*.

Lucky you Morwin. I spent most of my childhood years up in Scotland during school breaks. My father came from Beith/Gateside, near Largs and my grandmother lived in Cumnock. I just love Scotland.

I'll remind my dear friend Scots......British/American/whatever country by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God. *och aye* Lol.

A belated birthday greeting to Balrog. :hug: Hope you had a great day. :love:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 06:46
What band Morwinyoniel?

I been listening to America today ... some great, strange, and sometimes simplistic songs for sure. Horse with No Name is probably their most popular song and I do like that one. But right now I have the Sandman playing...

Sandman
Written by Dewey Bunnell, ©1971

Ain't it foggy outside
All the planes have been grounded
Ain't the fire inside?
Let's all go stand around it
Funny, I've been there
And you've been here
And we ain't had no time to drink that beer

'Cause I understand you've been running from the man
That goes by the name of the Sandman
He flies the sky like an eagle in the eye
Of a hurricane that's abandoned

Ain't the years gone by fast
I suppose you have missed them
Oh, I almost forgot to ask
Did you hear of my enlistment?

Funny, I've been there
And you've been here
And we ain't had no time to drink that beer

'Cause I understand you've been running from the man

I understand you've been running from the man

This song I dedicate to all our men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan.

(From the boxed set booklet):
Sandman is an unsettling number that features an effects-laden electric guitar line for color. Dewey based the lyric, in part, on conversations he'd had at West Ruislip with airmen returning from Vietnam: "They'd buy us a beer at the commissary and tell us stories about the war. We weren't very political or very military. But 'Sandman' came out of our eyes being opened to the fact that these guys weren't much older than us. One of the things that I vividly remember hearing one guy say is that he hardly ever slept in Vietnam--he was afraid to go to sleep. So there's the line, 'You've been running from the man who goes by the name of the Sandman'--you don't want to go to sleep because you might be killed. I thought, What a lousy way to live."
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 09:18
Arveleg, it's a Finnish band called Eppu Normaali. They've never been very well known abroad, but domestically, they're very popular. They started out as a Ramones-style punk band, but have during the years turned to a more peaceful style (AOR perhaps?) without losing their originality.

America really made some great stuff. I think Sandman is a very good description of the traumas of any war veterans. For example, my father-in-law never wanted to talk much about his experiences in WWII, of which he was lucky to survive...
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2005 05:09
Think of what Tolkien went through during WWI. He lost all of his good friends and by the grace of the Valar, he wasn't in the battle where his whole unit was wiped out.

Lhûnelleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2005 07:41
Hello there,

I'm a new Scottish member and just wanted to say hello to fellow "mature" Tolkien fans......

We're on Easter holidays here and enjoying a quiet break from busy lives...... I'm hoping to catch up on some reading, [Tolkien of course], and maybe have some time for my other passion, writing film reviews..... purely for my own amusement..... just a hobby....

so, my best wishes to you all, I hope you have a peaceful Easter....... Lhûnelleth
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2005 09:42
Welcome, Lhûnelleth! :wave:

Happy Ring-bearers Day, everyone! :cheers:

(I meant to post this yesterday but better late than never.)

'But in Gondor the New Year will always now begin upon the twenty-fifth of March when Sauron fell, and when you were brought out of the fire to the King.’

Long live the Halflings! Praise them with great praise!
Cuio i Pheriain annan! Algar’ni Pheriannath!
Praise them with great praise, Frodo and Samwise
Daur a Berhael, Conin en Annûn! Eglerio!
Praise them!
Eglerio!
A laita te, laita te! Andave laituvalment!
Praise them!
Cormacolindor, a laita tárienna!
Praise them! The Ring-bearers, praise them with great praise!

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2005 02:51
Welcome, Lhûnelleth! I love Scotland! Home of my ancestors.

Old Tom, thanks for the reminder of the New Year! It seems more like a new year when spring is starting to come back. So much more fitting I feel than in the dead of winter.

A Happy New Year to all of you Fans Over Forty! :cheers:
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: March 27, 2005 08:37
Welcome, Lhûnelleth! :hug: Where in Scotland do you live? I visited Glasgow and Edinburgh a week ago, and all that I had time to see made me definitely want to go back some day.
Lhûnelleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2005 12:00
Thank you one and all for making me feel so welcome.....

I live not too far from Edinburgh Morwinyoniel......I'd love to live in the heart of the city centre but the house prices are a little out of my price range..... so I make do with visiting a often as possible....

[Edited on 27/3/2005 by Lhûnelleth]
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2005 09:35
Hello there,

I'm a new Scottish member and just wanted to say hello to fellow "mature" Tolkien fans......

We're on Easter holidays here and enjoying a quiet break from busy lives...... I'm hoping to catch up on some reading, [Tolkien of course], and maybe have some time for my other passion, writing film reviews..... purely for my own amusement..... just a hobby....

Hi there

I am also Scottish and over 40. I bought my 10 year old niece LOTR in paperback recently and I was reading it to her whilst babysitting. She has just got up to the Council of Elrond.

When Legolas was mentioned she sighed longingly and said "Orlando Bloom" She hasn't seen the whole film yet but she realy likes Orlando, she has good taste that girl. Of course when she is older she may appreciate a slightly older sex symbol.

Sighs longlingly "Viggo!"

so, my best wishes to you all, I hope you have a peaceful Easter....... Lhûnelleth
Lhûnelleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2005 07:14

Of course when she is older she may appreciate a slightly older sex symbol.

Sighs longlingly "Viggo!"

Hello fellow Scot HeriTavaril,

Oh don't even get me started on the joy that is Viggo/Aragorn....
..... Scottish women really do appreciate a fine speciman of a man when they see one.......

the image above captures my favourite Aragorn movie moment...
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2005 05:38
Aiya, HeriTavaril, and well met!

Another Scot! Yay! Of course, I can only claim that by ancestry. Oh, well, as Rosearialelven would say, "Scots by the Grace of God." That would be me. :love: I've even had the pleasure of visiting Scotland last May. It was WAY too short of a visit for me. The spousal unit has promised me another visit to make up for it. But just visiting the Highlands and the castle of my ancestors was...even yet I can't put it into words adequately. The next time I visit I am definately going to make a trek to Tolkien's childhood home. I missed the Tolkien weekend by just hours when I was there last year. *sigh*

I'm glad to hear that you've started your niece on LotR early. I started reading my son The Hobbit when he was about 8 or 9. Evidently I was reading too slowly for his taste, and I found out that he had read way out in front of me without telling me that he was. He liked the time together reading but just couldn't wait to find out what happened. So he'd finished The Lord of the Rings by the end of 5th grade (10 years old). He's been a fan ever since. I figured that I had done my job well.

But, again, welcome to the FoF! Great bunch of people are we if I do say so myself. Which I do!!

[Edited on 30/3/2005 by scots56]
simba
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 10:03
Hello everybody, I'm Simba and I'm back.
I'm passing thru a very bad period, which is still going on but now I hope I'll manage to overcome the problem even if the solution could be very painful.
Do you think it is possible that a person reaching 45 realizes that the last 10 years have been wrong?
And do you think it is possible to start again at 45?
I don't want to make you sad or whatever, and I understand that maybe these are matters for "private messages" only, but I just needed to talk with someone. Have you never felt alone?
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 10:54
Welcome back, Simba!

Sure it is possible to realize that life's all wrong at any age, and sure it is possible to start again at 45 - I've known people who have done just that.

Hope your problem gets solved soon; and, if you feel the way you do, the solution can hardly make the situation any worse, whatever it will be.
<< First1213141516Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email