<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part II
on: May 12, 2005 07:14
Hi everyone. Glad to see new members here. :wave:

I guess I'm glad that I have never torn anything or broken anything in my life (knock on wood). I hope you heal great, MelianAnoriel. I hear those could be painful. Try to take all the time to heal. It will be worth it in the end.

I'm just letting you all know that I'm off to sunny (?) Peoria, Illinois for 2 whole weeks. Got everything settled and I'll be on the bus this Saturday (22.5 hours). I thought I would like to see the countryside so I'm taking the bus. I don't drive plus it's cheaper that flying. I'm also going to the Field Museum in Chicago to see Sue, the T-rex they found in South Dakota. She is on display for the public. Yes, I'm a dinosaur freak.

I'm so excited about going to Peoria, IL. I have never gone that far south and I have never gone to the U.S. before. I guess it's better late than never.

Anyways if I'm leaving Saturday, I guess that I had better start packing. I start out with a list and then start packing. I've got the list made up. Now I have to pack. I also take the list with me to make sure I have everything when I return home.

I will still be online. Where I'm staying I can still pick up news.
So I will say farewell and see you all online. :wave:
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 07:30
Have a great time, Balrog. Sounds like you have a long trip ahead of you. I once went on the Greyhound from New York to San Diego - with a few breaks in between. But I enjoyed it because it's the best way to get to know the country (I live in the UK). Oh... and apparently, at the time, Amtrak was booked solid for a whole three months. hmmmm...
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 01:22
I don't believe a kilt is in my wardrobe, but I never say never. BTW, what do they really wear under those things?

Caunwaith,
My son was stationed in the U.K. for over a year recently. My family is of Scottish descent, and so of course, he made the trip to the Highlands while he was there. (When we went to visit him, of COURSE we had to go there and visit the ancestral home.) But on his trip, he stopped in Edinburgh and bought the whole outfit from tip to toe. He and his friends were all decked out when they went to the Navy Ball at the Hall of Justice in London. He sent pictures to me and he looked very Scottish. He did say that he dinna go "full Scots" and wore something underneath. LOL But he and his friends did look mighty fine. The kilt ensemble was sent to our house when he was in route to his new duty station, so I got a good look at it. I've been pestering him to get a professional photo shoot done with the kilt and such on. He's not too receptive as of yet. Got to keep at him though. I would love to have that on my wall. Of course, I love all things Scottish. Go figure.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 06:02
The morning drive to work was slow and trecherous due to thick fog. I felt as if I were on the Barrow Downs with the hobbits. Thank goodness there were no wights in sight.

'Frodo! Hoy!' came the thin voices out of the mist: and then a cry that sounded like help, help! often repeated, ending with a last help! that trailed off into a long wail suddenly cut short...

'Where are you?' [Frodo] cried out miserably...

He imagined suddenly that he caught a muffled cry, and he made towards it...

'Where are you?' he cried again, both angry and afraid.

'Here!' said a voice, deep and cold, that seemed to come out of the ground. 'I am waiting for you!'

'No!' said Frodo; but he did not run away. His knees gave, and he fell on the ground...

Pretty scary stuff, eh? :naughty:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 13, 2005 03:00
Oooh... Yes, definitely. One reason I think JRRT said LoTR wasn't a kid's book.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2005 03:50
I agree totally. This scene always just gives me the shivers..even after I've read the book umpty-ump million times. Such imagery that man was able to get across. Bless him.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 13, 2005 06:09
Have a nice trip, balrog! :wave:

I'm also one of those who think that a kilt is quite a nice piece of clothing, if the guy has the body for it... :evil: Viggo definitely would have.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2005 05:39
I find that sometimes scenes or lines from LOTR find their way into Real Life. Middle-earth is real to me.

You lucky duck, Scots56!!! I have 8 more days of school and I will be more excited than the kids to be done. I in desperate need of some "down time." Hope that you're enjoying yours.

Vent away, Caunwaith. It's not good to "let it fly" at work. What kind of job do you have? I teach kindergarten and it's not as easy (especially on an aging body) as it sounds. Hope things get better for you.

Enjoy your trip, Balrog. Sounds like you have some interesting things to do. If you want to come REALLY far south, let me know. I live near the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama, where the sand is white, the water is blue/green and drinks are in the cooler.

I think that we must start up a petition for Viggo to wear a kilt. Would you do the honors, Morwinyoniel? It would certainly be beneficial to the public if he did so, don't you think????:love:

MT
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 14, 2005 03:26
Wow! Another 600+ posts!!!

Since this thread is so full, I've started a new one which can be found at Fans over Forty ~ Part III.

So please start posting there. I will ask one of the mods to lock this thread in favor of the new one.

See you there! :wave:
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email