<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part II
on: April 24, 2005 07:05
Welcome, VendeaErunyauve! :cheers:

Old Tom, I haven't had a chance yet to look through everything at that website but, I must also say that the photo of you and Goldberry was cool!
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2005 12:00
Suilad, everyone, new and old (no pun intended) alike.

Haven't posted in a while so had to go back and read some of the posts

AAAAHHHHH....Viggo in a kilt (did you see him in those shorts in G.I. Jane?)

Anytime is the time to make life changes...there's a popular song is the U.S. right now. I think it's called "Live like you are dying"...on the surface perhaps a morbid thought but the absolute truth. NEVER let anyone or anything waste your precious time.

The kids are about to start the countdown til the end of school. I won't let them put the number on the board until we get to 25 and I think that occurs (gets her Aragorn datebook out) sometime next week. Woohoo summer is almost here although winter made a strong comeback this weekend.

Anyone looking forward to Star Wars or Kingdom of Heaven?

[Edited on 24/4/2005 by sindarinelvish]
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2005 01:59
It has been quite a while, Suilad to all FOF.

Travels and a heavy schedule have taken up most of my time for months; tired, but with a fresh pipe I turn to your welcomed warm fire. A continuation of a grant means the coming summer will be busy for this Ranger as well. I will find time to check in when possible, keep well.

Neyna - hows goes with you, there is always a spot in this heart for you.

Norlin
Lhûnelleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 11:03
AAAAHHHHH....Viggo in a kilt (did you see him in those shorts in G.I. Jane?)

Oh yes and they were criminally tight.....

Anyone looking forward to Star Wars or Kingdom of Heaven?

No to the Star Wars, never been a fan.... and yep to Kingdom of Heaven.... Ridley Scott does the action/epic genre pretty well, so I've my fingers crossed that this may be a bit of crackin' good entertainment......

Spring has truly sprung here, my mother sent me a picture of a sea of bluebells in a wood near her home today.... sometimes nature takes my breath away..... However, I'm not a big fan of the summer months so I'm kinda sorry to see the back of winter ...... bah humbug.....

I seem to be over the dreaded shingles which is grand ..... my son is now sitting his first year law exams and is in need of a bit of TLC as the pressure is really getting to him..... Bless!

I found a lovely quote by Tolkien the other day.....

"I savour a new language the way others savour a new wine"

I've just re-read this post and it's kind of all over the place isn't it ?... a frightening testament to my state of mind ...... well, I've just hit 42..... maybe it's my age....

Oh well, onward and upward....... xx Image
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 11:40
Ol' Tom,
I've been on the "An Evening at Rivendel" Amazon list for 6 months. They have finally sent an email stating that they could no longer get it. Any Suggestions ?

And hello to all ! May fair weather brighten your day !
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 02:30
VendeaErunyauve,
Welcome and well met! I hope you enjoy being here as much as we do!

Ranger Norlin,
What a coincidence! I was just thinking about you as I was logging onto this thread. I hadn't seen your name turn up for quite some time and was wondering where you had rangered off to. Welcome back to you!

Star Wars
Oh, yes, looking forward to that! The spousal unit is as obsessed with that as I am with LotR. I enjoy it, yes, but it doesn't hold nearly the fascination for me as LotR. How could it???? But I humor him as he does me. :love:

Spring
We thought it had arrived here in the midwest...but no. Well, it took a bit of a detour as far as temperatures go. I was just thinking of breaking out the spring teaching clothes when the temps took a trip south. Back out came the sweaters in no time flat!

The spousal unit and I have been working in the garden cleaning out old beds and planting new things. He built me an absolutely lovely arbor within the lilac bush to put my bench under and take a quiet break to read LotR. He said it wasn't quite Rivendell, but he hoped it would do. What a guy! :love::love::love::love:

Students and the end of the year
Sindarinelvish, we started our countdown at the beginning of April. :disco: Only 14 days to go!!! :disco: I'm having as hard a time as the kids, if not harder, to stay on task. For some reason this year I am sooooooo ready to see them in the care of their parents for the summer. I don't know why, but I'm just really ready for school to be out.

Here's hoping all of you FoF-ers have a wonderful soft spring and equally lovely summer season.

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2005 07:23
Welcome to FoF, Vendea! :wave:

And welcome back to all those folks returning after a period of absence!

Ol' Tom,
I've been on the "An Evening at Rivendel" Amazon list for 6 months. They have finally sent an email stating that they could no longer get it. Any Suggestions ?

Yes, this is where the old adage, "If at first you don't succeed: try, try again," applies. It took me a year-and-a-half before I was finally able to acquire "Evening" and "Night". I had just about given up when I finally got them. I felt so lucky that I almost went out and bought a lottery ticket, and I've NEVER bought a lottery ticket.

[Edited on 4/27/2005 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2005 09:03
Thanks to Morwinyoniel, scots56, and Old_Tom_Bombadil for the kind welcomes. I look forward to getting to know you folks better!
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 11:20
Its always nice to see that there are new fans joining here all the time. I welcome you. This is a great site.

I would like to say a BIG :wave: hi to RangerNorlin. You are always sorely missed but at least you poke your head in to see what's going on the site that you created. If it wasn't for you, everyone here wouldn't be able to talk about there life after 40.

scots56: I like Star Wars and can't wait to see what happens next. I am also looking forward to Kingdom of Heaven. I think it is going to be an excellent movie. I also agree that Ridley Scott does very good work on genre very good.

I also can't wait for Orlando Bloom. His acting has sooooo improved since LOTR. It showed in Pirates of the Caribbean. I haven't seen Troy yet. Has anyone seen it? Can you give me a thumbs up or down on it?

As for the weather up here in Canada, it is trying to snow very hard but not succeeding. But it is cold enough that you have to put your winter jack back on almost. Right now I'm in my flannel pj's. It is that cold. And not having control over the heat sucks.

Anyways, I will go now and do some sewing that I have been putting off for tooo looong.

Namarie
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 11:57
Hey, balrog! Troy was okay, but not due to anything Orlando did. If you are a fan of Greek heroic stories, you'll be irritated at how they mickeyed with it. But, if you don't care, then it's fine. They compressed 10 years of war into a few days, changed all sorts of things around, but had some things right. I was *not* fond of the Apollonian priestess getting all gaga over Achilles (who was NOT into women at all, not to mention *she* would rather have died than been with him). Too Hollywoodized for my taste. So very glad PJ did LoTR else we would have something equally skewed instead of the awesome job he and the others did. *sigh* Now, to see what Kingdom of Heaven does to the Crusades.

p.s. Ranger Norlin created the thread, not the site. LOL Rivka's the site guru and oligarch.
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 04:11
Firstly: Hellooooooo RangerNorlin. :love: :wave: It's good to have you here. *shoves a pair of slippers and a full pipe of weed in front of the Ranger* And if you have to leave suddenly, haste ye back, there'll be a welcome still.

Balrog: You haven't seen Troy. OMG!! ....well personally, apart from seeing lovely Orlando, it a huge *yaaaaawwwwwnnn!!* :yawn: I agree with BelleBayard, nothing stood out in the film. The acting was abyssmal.

Lol!! BelleBayard, I agree about the hollywood touches to films. The Crusades. Heavens, that should be interesting. Lol!!Thank the lord for PJ, even if he has his critics, at least he was a true as he could get and we all appreciate he had to use poetic license.

STAR WARS!!!! Whoo Hoo, May 19 here in the UK. Can't wait, seen the odd trailer and it looks magic. More along the lines of the original Star War movies.

Weather: April started out not too bad, bit of this, bit of that, then we have a few balmy and quite warm days, the buds on trees and flowers opening with an urgency, only to be thwarted by *hailstones*!!!!! Poor things.

Anyway, it went from bad to worse, cold freezing winds, incessant rain. The wonderful meteorological office are attempting to cheer us up with the fact that this Bank Holiday weekend is going to be warm. Ok!! *sticks tongue in cheek*. We'll see.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Lovely to see everyone in here, and a :wave: for Old Tom and his lovely Goldberry.

Hi and :wave: to all the newcomers. Take care, may each day of the week be a good day and may your God Bless you. :hug:

Rose xxxxxx

VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 11:22
I am looking forward to Star Wars, just saw Pirates for the first time last weekend on DVD...well, I guess that is my big conversational contribution today!
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2005 02:12
I am looking forward to seeing what Kingdom of Heaven turns out like. The trailers look quite good and Orlando Bloom does appear to have matured as a actor from what I have seen so far. Think Star Wars looks quite awesome too.

Like Rosearialelven I am waiting expectantly with both fingers crossed for good weather this bank holiday weekend. The weather here has been atrocious this last week or so and it would be quite nice to see the sun for a change. The sunshine definitely helps to put a smile on everyone`s face and lifts spirits.

Have now seen your pictures Old Tom and they are very good.

Have to go now as I have just finished my shift and the old eyes are beginning to feel the strain.

Delerith
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: April 29, 2005 11:31
Well, Kingdom of Heaven hasn't been completely trashed here, at least not in the reviews I've read. The general consensus seems to be that, it's an entertaining action spectacle, but one shouldn't expect too much historical accuracy.

And, from what I've seen and read, I really hope Ep. III will finally be a real Star Wars movie.

A question for the British here: What kind of holidays are the Bank Holidays, I think you have more than one of them in a year?
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2005 02:26
In Britain a Bank Holiday Weekend is when the Banks are all closed. Usually it is a Monday holiday but some include 2 days, Easter is an example of this. Occasionally it also includes Friday such as at Easter . The Schools and quite a lot of work places are closed as well. Usually all the major shops have Sales on over the Bank Holiday and a lot of Brits go away for a long weekend break.

This Bank Holiday is the May Day Bank Holiday.

People who work in the public sector industry such as hospitals, shops etc get these days in Lieu and can usually take them when they wish. I think there is about 8 in the year.

Hope I have helped to clarify your question Morwinyoniel.

Delerith

[Edited on 30/4/2005 by delerithoflorien]

[Edited on 30/4/2005 by delerithoflorien]
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 03:32
I received the penny whistle in F that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. It is sweet! It has a very lovely tone throughout the both octaves. It is a keeper.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. I did some work in the yard today, trimming back a couple of bushes in the backyard, and cutting and edging the lawn and sweeping up the grass in the front.

Any plans for Mother's Day? (Sunday, May 8th here in the States.) I'll be cooking a yummy pork rib dinner for my Mom, and my brothers if they are able to make it. I use a spice rub from a cookbook one of my brothers gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I put the rub on a day or two in advance, so the meat really has a chance to absorb the flavors. The rub is great on steak and porkchops, too.

Spice Rub for Pork or Beef
2 Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons chile powder
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
2 Tablespoons granulated garlic or garlic powder
2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup salt
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper

The recipe makes about 1 cup. You can store the extra in a jar or ziplock bag.

I suggest going light on the cayenne pepper the first time you try it. I've found 1 teaspoon is just right.

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 07:15
Hello all! I am new to this place, but am "on the other side" of my 40's. I had a monumental birthday(one that ends in a 0) that I celebrated in Middle-earth fashion in March. Let's say swords,action figures, pictures, elvish headpieces were involved,along with a guest appearance from Strider( OK, it was just a standee).:love:
Did I hear something about Viggo in a kilt?
I think I also noticed that someone is from the southern US. I live in LA-Lower Alabama, along the Gulf coast.
Hope I haven't frightened anyone yet. It's too early for me to have done that yet. But you never know.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 06:27
OldTom, pork roast rub sounds yummy. I am trying it the next time I get a roast.

The DH and I (he's as huge a Star Wars fan as I am a LOTR one...well, not quite) have been watching the movies in order on the DVDs before the new one opens---last night was JARJAR's turn. Although the movie doesn't measure up to the first three, it does hold together (I think it's the lack of characters we immediately relate to--no Leia, Han, and Luke--hate to tell Lucas but it was hard to care about the smart-alec-y 6 year old Annakin, Qu'yGon (sp) who acts his wooden way through the movie and finally gets killed, and the weirdly-made-up, ever morphing Amadala/Padme.)

I am heading off to run errands and to the garden store to buy some replacement flox...where does that stuff go from season to season? I have bald patches! :cry:

One more thought----Viggo in a kilt

.....what WERE those books that were out a few years ago about time travel to the historic Highlands and there was a laird....HHHMMMMM.....perhaps some one should make those into a movie...I can think of just the person for the lead. :love:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 06:32

Viggo in a kilt-
just can't seem to get that thought out of my mind!:love:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 09:15
OldTom, pork roast rub sounds yummy. I am trying it the next time I get a roast.

Uh, actually that rub's not for pork roasts, it's for ribs, chops, and steaks. I have another recipe for pork roasts that is fantastic. Like the spice rub, this recipe comes from The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly. I highly recommend it.

Braised Pork Butt with Port and Prunes

Herb and Mustard Rub for Pork
½ teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 4-to-6 pound boneless or bone-in Boston butt or pork shoulder, trimmed of most external fat

2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups fresh or frozen pearl onions, partially defrosted if frozen
1 cup finely chopped leeks (white part only)
½ cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup port wine
½ cup beef or chicken stock
1 cup pitted prunes
¼ cup Armagnac, slivovitz (plum brandy), or other brandy (optional)
2 bay leaves
salt and ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Combine rub ingredients and rub generously all over the meat.

Heal the oil over high heat in a heavy casserole or Dutch oven just large enough to hold the pork. Brown the meat on all sides, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove it and set aside. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pot and add the pearl onions, leeks, and carrots. Lower the heat to medium, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.

Pour in the port and stock and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the prunes, the optional brandy, and the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Put the pork back in and spoon some of the prunes and vegetables over the top. Cover the pot with foil and fit the lid on tightly.

Place the pot in the middle of the oven and cook for about 1 ½ hour, or until the pork is quite tender and registers 160°F on an instant-read meat thermometer. [Reaching the proper temperature is very important. I've found I have to cook the meat for about 2 hours.] Remove the pork from the pot and cover loosely to keep warm. The final temperature of the meat after resting for 10 minutes or so may read 170° to 175°F.

Skim off any fat from the cooking juices. Remove 6 of the prunes and puree them in a food processor or blender. Stir the puree back into the sauce and thicken it. Remove the bay leaves and taste the sauce for salt and pepper. Remove the strings from the pork if necessary and carve into ½-inch thick slices. Serve with the sauce and prunes and vegetables.

The authors recommend serving brussels sprouts braised with chestnuts and an earthy red Burgundy from the Côtes de Nuits or a full-bodied Oregon Pinot Noir.

Enjoy!
:cheers:
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 12:03

I think I also noticed that someone is from the southern US. I live in LA-Lower Alabama, along the Gulf coast.
Hope I haven't frightened anyone yet. It's too early for me to have done that yet. But you never know.

I'm not scared. And I know where LA is. I'm in MS now but may be returning to AL before long.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 01:46
MinasTirithMS:
Welcome to the FoF. Haven't scared me as of yet. I haven't "quite" passed the *over* part of the Fans Over Forty yet. I can see it from here though! I'm up in the midwest and it's been a bit on the chilly side up here the past week. How's the weather down there? I hope spring comes in for good soon. I'm sick of cold.

.....what WERE those books that were out a few years ago about time travel to the historic Highlands and there was a laird....HHHMMMMM.....perhaps some one should make those into a movie...I can think of just the person for the lead.

Those would be the Outlander series with the famous Jamie Fraser!! Lots of fun to read. While in the Highlands last May, I went to Culloden and found the Fraser stone that's mentioned in the books. Took lots of pictures there of the stones and such. Such a sad place even in the bright May sunshine. The castle that we stayed in, Kilravock, was also mentioned in the books. I had heard several years ago that they were making a TV movie for Outlander, haven't heard anything since.

Has anyone seen The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy yet? The spousal unit and I went to see it last night. If you've seen it, what do you think? :feedback:

balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 04:24
Hi everyone.

Welcome to the newbies. You will have great fun here as well as some recipes, right Old Tom? Thanks for the rubs. I have them written down and I'm going to try them. I like rubs for anything. Especially BBQ's and oven recipes.

scots56:
I'm up in the midwest and it's been a bit on the chilly side up here the past week. How's the weather down there? I hope spring comes in for good soon. I'm sick of cold.

You think it's cold there. Try living in Canada. Right smack in the middle, Manitoba. We have had 4 days of SNOW, yes that's what I said: SNOW. We got 3 inches of it. It now has disappeared today and it looks hopeful for Wednesday. We will get into the double digits. This has been the weirdest weather yet.

I have seen Billy Boyd in a kilt (pic), but I think Viggo in a kilt will look sexy. I haven't seen any pics of him in shorts so I guess it will be to the imagination.

I've been having trouble sleeping lately, so I think I will take 2 winks and call me in the morning.

Namarie.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 04:28
Outlander! That's it. A friend of mine was obsessed with the series...Jamie Frazier...Viggio in a kilt...yep, it works!

Scots56, I envy you your trip to Scotland. I have been wanting to go for years. The DH and I were in southern England/Cornwall a few years back and I have wanted to go to Scotland and Ireland ever since. (I think it's the ancestral blood calling.)

Scots56, are you in Minn. or Wisc.? I just booked the vacation getaway for the summer to Door County. We were there two years ago and loved the peacefulness and the arty-ness. We're taking our dear friends with us this year.

Speaking of vacations, to quote Galadriel "Look upon me and despair!" My "niece" (our good friends' daughter) and I have talked the adults of the group into considering a trip to New Zealand in two years! :disco:

She's nearly as LOTR-mad as I am, (the dear child has all of Gollum's lines down pat and quotes them whenever the occasion arises ), and wants to go into film study in college. A really good kid! :heart: It would be the summer between her senior year and college so we told them it could be a graduation present! Anyone been? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Anyone else planning a summer getaway? Twenty-six days of school left! :cheers:

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 01:35
Anyone else planning a summer getaway? Twenty-six days of school left!

HA!! Got you beat there! 9.5 days and counting. Not that I would EVER count or anything. I'm on the downhill slide to summer. It's a busy time trying to cram everything that I've left to the end of the year in, but I can cope. :disco:

Balrog:
et: I'm so sorry about the snow. I'll quit complaining about or 50 degree weather with the wind making it feel like 39. I don't have much to complain about now do I??

Sindarinelvish:
I'm in Nebraska. Me and the cows! lol But truly, it IS me and the cows at school. My little school is out in the country surrounded by fields and across the road...cows. They come to the fence and talk to us. One of my students lives there, and I tell him that his "pets" miss him. Too funny.

I'm looking forward to the middle of the week though; the weather is supposed to take an upturn. Finally! Of course, when it gets to be 100+ this summer with just as much humidity, I'll wish for the cool of spring. Oh, well.

Have a wonderful week everyone!
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 05:43
Thank you Delerith, that cleared a lot. A bit like Sundays in the middle of the week, if I understood correctly; we have some similar holidays too. First of May is one of them here as well.

Old Tom, your recipes sound just delicious! :drool: I'll have to try them some weekend!

Welcome to the club, MinasTirithMS! :wave:
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 12:39
scots56 Culloden sure is a very sad place. The atmosphere seems to just send chills down the spine and when you see all the Cairns with the clan names it always brings a tear to my eyes. So thankful that that was the last battle fought on the soil of Mainland Britain. But its memory still haunts Scots when they are in a patriotic mood.

Balrog hope your weather clears up soon. Makes you realise not to take nature for granted. Here in Scotland our weather has been all over the place. Think Spring is here and then you get a gale force wind with torrential downpours and then the Sun beats down.

Morwinyoniel you couldn't`t have said it any better - it is just like having an extra Sunday in the week.

Speaking of holidays I am now counting down the days to mine. 22 days to go and I`me off to Sunny Spain. Can`t wait.

Delerith

[Edited on 2/5/2005 by delerithoflorien]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 04:52
You're in MS [/b]Celebrian[b]? My sons went to Mississippi State, so I know the highways from LA to Starkville, MS. Scooba, Shubuta,Crawford and Quitman will long remain in my memories of MS. My youngest married a girl from Pearl, MS (nice rhyme, don't you think?) and we've been there several times and then to Terry and Crystal Springs when her parents moved there.
The weather here has been toooo wet lately. I'm looking forward to a dry spell. The temps have been warmish (lower 70's) but feel cool with the strong breeze. It's supposed to warm into the 80's by week's end and I'm looking forward to it.
26 days of school, Sindarinelvish? I feel sorry for you,as I have only 18!! I hope I survive the testing, paperwork, meetings,special events....and I teach kindergarten.

Things will be better, as I am planning to visit my youngest son and his family (my lovely daughter-in-law and 2 precious grandsons) who are in the Netherlands. We will spend a weekend in Paris-I will be living out one of my dreams in seeing Paris.
After this dream comes true I guess I'll have to focus on my other two: living on the beach and meeting Viggo (in a kilt would be nice)
Thank you all for your warm welcome. You've made me feel right at home. I hope to get to know each of you and call you friend.

MT
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2005 05:33
Welcome MinasTirithMS! It seems like we are meeting on a couple of the threads at abou thte same time! I am from TN, and you don't scare me... much...

Viggo in a k-i-l-t...............
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 03:28
:cry:

Hello everyone I am feeling quite miserable today. I was full of the joys of Spring until I recieved a phone call to let me know that my Uncle had just died from Cancer. I had a little cry to myself at this news. But life has to go on and I have been told by my cousin that in the end it was for the best that he passed away. Well I will probably have a few days of feeling up and down and then slowly will remember all the good things. And yes there was a lot of those with him - he was always what you would call full of life and knew how to make everyone happy.

Well thats enough of my woos. Sorry to burden you all with my sadness.

Delerith
Caunwaith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 05:55
Hey everyone!

I am kind of new to the Forums, but not to CoE. I am glad to see there are fans of LOTR over 40. I am a bit over 40 (lets just say it is in my rear-view mirror!), and actually got interested in Tolkien when the movies came out.

I found this great site about a year ago, and have made several new friends. Love to make many more, so feel free to write me anytime!

Caunwaith
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 09:36
My condolences for the passing of your uncle, Delerith. et: :hug: He seems to have been a nice person, and you sure miss him.

Welcome, Caunwaith!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 03:58
Another southeasterner,[/b]vendeaErunyauve[b]. No wonder we have a few things in common. Tell me more about what yourself, if you feel so inclined.

Ahhh..someone else who sees their 40's in the rear view mirror. I "passed over" into AARPdom in March, even though I've been a grandmother for 4 years. Are you a grandperson too, [/b]caunwaith[b]?

I'm sorry to hear of your uncle's death, [/b]delerith[b]. I pray God's comfort and peace for you and the family.

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 04:27
et: Many heartfelt hugs, Delerith, at your recent loss.

The tail-end of my 40s are here, but I don't know that I would go back to the life stages I've already passed through. I have learned and grown from each and every one and am a product of those sometimes painful, sometimes wonderful times. I have to admit I'm kind of looking forward to being one of the "Red Hat" ladies. Two of my older sisters are and are having a blast at it.

Spring put on its face a bit here today in the midwest. I even saw a double rainbow as I went to work. You don't see those everyday, and it was beautiful against the dark storm clouds.

And, yay! Only 6.5 days left of school! Who says it's just the kids who count down?? :disco: :rolling: :cheers:
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2005 08:02
Hey Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!

From "another" board:

"The origin of Tom Bombadil is a doll that had been stuck in a toilet! The doll belonged to one of Tolkien's sons. After 'rescuing' it, Tolkien championed Tom in a poem. That's where the character first meets Goldberry, a water-nymph - a pretty bad joke, considering what happened to the doll."

- David Colbert, "The Magical Worlds of The Lord of the Rings"
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email