<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part II
on: April 01, 2005 11:14
Simba,

I'm sure its possible to start over at 45. I've seen it done. I've also seen people stay in bad situations and they just get worse and worse. If what you are doing with your life is not right, then by all means do what you need. You still have half your life ahead of you, don't waste time. Don't let people discourage you, or try and put a guilt trip on you. You are NOT alone. I have felt that way myself in the past and it is awful, it can get inside your head and blind you to those good things you do have going for you. Change can be hard and scary. think of it like giving birth - it gets hardest towards the end, but the result is worth it. And the only way through is to just give a big old push!

You can pm me any time if you need a sympathetic 45 year old.

balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 03:44
Hi, Simba. Welcome back.

I would like to say that you can change your life anytime you want. I did just that 2 years ago.

I went through a period 2 years ago. I knew I had to change my life or I was going to go crazy. I was looking after an older couple and working at the same time outside the house. Everybody said that it was wrong but I just let it go. After 13 years of looking after this couple, I realized that the stress level was getting to me, but I did not know this. I had to get out of this situation without hurting the couple. They treated me like their own child. But I knew that if I didn't get out I was going to get worse, health wise. So I told them 2 years ago that I was moving out of the city and that they would have to fend for themselves. I didn't want to leave them but I had no choice. When I left, the stress levels went down and so did some of the health problems. I feel better.

If I can change my life anyone chould. Another thing is that all this started when I was only 30. I am now 43. So if anyone can change their life and lifestyle then you can do it. Get through your problems before they become big ones. Then change.

I hope this helps and if it don't, then I just got something off my chest. Thanks.

[Edited on 2/4/2005 by balrog]
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2005 02:55
Welcome Simba,
They say that the most successful and happiest people have been those who have had life altering "changes" at about this time. I am looking at "change" myself. I cannot afford it, but ? Look at it as an opportunity. It may be a forced opportunity, but look at it positively. It could enrich your life.
I say that as I am watching the river rise toward my back door. I didn't sleep much last night expecting to be told by police to vacate. By tomorrow the river will be expected to have risen 118 feet. I am not looking forward to being turned from my home. So, if any of my fellow FoF pray, please do so now.
I will probably be very busy. At the lower end of the river evacuations began yesterday and are moving up. Major roads have been closed as a result of the tributaries backing up from an already swollen river. The oxbow is always the first to be flooded and it is. It backs up from that point. Such is life.
Must go...
Lhûnelleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 08:25
Hello,

....... bit fed up as I've got shingles..... so feeling a bit off color...... just thought I'd post a wee "Hi there" and share my news...... on the plus side I'll have time to catch up on a bit of reading, maybe watch a film or two...... and, I'm off my food so I may lose a bit of weight..... whoopee!!

hope this post finds you all safe and well....

love.....Lhûnelleth xx
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 09:36
Eee! That's so awful! Ugh... Have had those myself. No fun at all. Hoping you get over them soon. Makes me itch and tingle just to think of it! Heh... Get well soon!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 09:12
Hello all. If I've learned nothing else by the ripe old age of 48 it's that human beings are amazlingly resilient and flexible. I made some major changes in my life starting at age 40 and my life has more meaning and clarity now than it ever did before.

So, Simba - I hope that you use this time in your life as a gift, even if it comes wrapped in trouble.

MelianAnoriel - I hope you're safe from the floodwaters!

Lhûnelleth - sorry about your condition - definitely not pleasant. Hope it gets better soon!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 07:17
It's a beautiful day ! The birds are singing... the peepers are out (little frogs)..... the spring flowers are in bloom ! AND, the river is going down. My neighbors had to leave , but we did not have to. Almost, but no cigar.
I hope that everyone is really enjoying the spring, finally. I hope all that go to the Vacaville gather will have a wonderful time and please think of us and take lots of photos !
I am just so happy that we are not underwater ! I feel like dancing ! :disco:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 06:28
Aiya to All

Has been some time since I posted here. Life has been very, very busy. But I wanted to tell Simba that the #1 most life altering experience of my life occurred almost 5 years ago. About 3 months after I turned 50. (okay, so now you know how old I am - 55 later this year.)

I had lived my whole life to that point under an assumption of life and expectations and then found out that no matter what I did it was never going to make a difference - in this particular situations. I decided that I could no longer go on living with those concepts of life. I change my entire attitude about life around and started living to no ones expectations on my life but my own. (there are a lot of details I am not sharing here) It was the single most important thing I ever did for myself. It is taken these 5 years for me to finally see the results of my life changing attitude shift and I finally come to know and truly care about me on the inside more than any other thing in my life besides God. I have made peace with me and find I really like this person that I kept buried inside for so long. So, any of you out there feeling the need to make changes in your life, don't waste time thinking about it. If you think it is going to do you some good, then jump in with both feet - and good luck to you.

I actually popped in tonight to expound on how wonderful the LOTR book is. I am reading it again for the upteenth time. Only this time I am reading it in a whole new light. I'm reading it for a college Literature Class I am taking at the Jr. College here. The class has really changed the way I see the writings of the Master Myth Maker. JRRTolkien, in my mind, had some kind of 'divine' inspiration to write these works. I am seeing the work as if for the first time and I am overwhelmed by the words, the poetry (which I skipped all of the very first time I read it), and even a music that my mind hears that is so wonderful it cannot even be described. I feel as if the Ainur are singing to me in my head. (that is an issue once discussed in the original FoF thread no quite a year ago) It is just so wonderful to read the words again and to truly understand their meanings and origins and at some points even to be able to see the points he was driving home to us.

I read Flotsam and Jetsam this afternoon and saw things there I don't even remember ever having read before. I guess it goes hand in hand with what I wrote above. I am seeing things with new eyes. Try it and see what you find in the book that you have missed before.

Love and Light to all,
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 09:51
[ Hello fellow Scot HeriTavaril,

Oh don't even get me started on the joy that is Viggo/Aragorn....
..... Scottish women really do appreciate a fine speciman of a man when they see one.......

Hi again, Yup he is gorgeous, wonder what he would look like in a kilt? I put that in because I heard about these romantic novels in the U.S. that are based in Scotland with all these kilted men. Of course the only time I see me men in kilts is at weddings, or in Princes St playing bagpipes for the tourists. Come to think of it who else in LOTR would look good in a kilt? Speculations anyone
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 03:38
Hi again, Yup he is gorgeous, wonder what he would look like in a kilt? I put that in because I heard about these romantic novels in the U.S. that are based in Scotland with all these kilted men. Of course the only time I see me men in kilts is at weddings, or in Princes St playing bagpipes for the tourists.

I saw one man in a kilt at Fort George when I was in the Highlands a year ago. He wasn't there for the tourists but was an honest to goodness tourist himself.

I have to admit to the guilty pleasure of the romantic novels about Scotland and kilted men...aaahhh Jamie Fraser. :love: Anyway, in the authors' defense, they are set several hundred years ago when there would have been at least SOME kilted men running around. For myself, it's sad that the tradition has gone by the wayside. My niece had the men in her wedding all kilted. It was pretty awesome.

As for actors of LotR in kilts, Viggo. mmmmmmmmm--lovely. He seems to be the one that it would fit the best, IMHO.:love:
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 05:01
Mmm... Let's see. Sean Bean? Actually, I've seen modern Scots men in kilts (such as Ray Park). As I've got a fair portion of Scots blood in my family, I have my own clan tartan (yes, I know that's really a modern invention), badge, etc. I loved Braveheart, as historically inaccurate as it was in sooo many places. Read stories about William Wallace and Robert Bruce all through my growing years. Am guilty of reading historical novels set in Scotland in the 1200's-1700's. Wept when reading historical fictional accounts of Culloden and the clearings (think my branch fell to that and ended up in England afterwards). Hasn't Billy Boyd worn a kilt in the past? Of course, there's always Sean Connery, who I wished would have worn a kilt in the Highlander movies (even though he played a Spaniard. Go figure). Some day, I hope I can visit, though I may be so creaky from old age by then I'll have to be wheeled about in a wheelchair. LOL
mireandune
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 07:25
Almarë. ilyë quendi.....

I'm reading with interest the posts from all of you who are looking for something more from life...and wondering if the faith you've put in The Professor is valid...........

I'm 44. First read LotR 29 years ago. (Eeep!)

Lordy, what is it about this book?? Why does the very nature of it strike our souls??

I've spent a lot of time in the last 4 years or so trying to pinpoint it. Of course, there's the fantasy element. In each of us there must exist that faith in something more.....that day to day life as we know it is but a veneer...that there's a depth, if in nothing but our soul,that takes us beyond the mudane...

A place where the green is as green can be....where the most beautiful creatures can exist...where the lines of good and evil are clearly delineated...and where fighting for innocence and purity, no matter how futile it may seem, is all the reason one needs.

A place where being honourable is its own reward. A place where the lovely princess is not only a prize, but is prized.

Where sacrifice is repected, and honoured.

Where, as the saying goes, the smallest can make the biggest difference.

To me, this story is at its heart a simple one. And one, because of its simplicity, we can learn a lot about the human condition.

And I believe the most profound idea given across is that we are each in control of our own destinies. No matter how small our contribution may seem. We are each capable of making changes, even if those changes may not seem particularly earth shattering to anyone but ourselves.

BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 02:37
Very profound, mireandune. And for me, so very true. Tolkien borrowed from much of the mythology of Northern Europe and his themes were not all that original. What was original was the way he built his world and the way he drew us into it, making us want to believe it not just fantasy, but a true picture of a distant, forgotten past. The characterizations and motives most definitely give us hope. Yes, there are definite good guys and bad guys, but I don't believe the lines drawn so starkly. What of Boromir? A good man, but misguided in his belief (from the start) that the Ring could save Gondor and be used for good. Even Denethor (book, not movie), wasn't inherently evil, just warped from looking into the Palantir and thinking all he saw was the truth. I found that Tolkien painted a very true picture of the human condition with all our faults as well as our strengths. As Galadriel said "Even the smallest person can make a difference." And that, I feel, is definitely a creed to live by. By sticking to the basic tenents of humanity, Tolkien painted pictures of people not perfect, but doing the best they could. Even the Elves, considered above the petty strife of Men, were actually NOT. Yes, in LoTR, they seemed almost angelic, but in his earlier works like the Silmarillion and other books from the HOME, one sees they suffer from as many faults as any other sentient creature. Perhaps this complexity is what calls to us. Outwardly, straightforward and easy to understand, but with a rich, varied background that if one wishes, one can delve into wholeheartedly.
Lhûnelleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2005 12:59
Hello,

still got shingles...... it's driving me nuts...... off work so I'm trying to divert my attention by creating my very first web page..... I'm a slow learner..... also half way reading "The Silmarillon" for the umteenth time....always a joy.....
Come to think of it who else in LOTR would look good in a kilt? Speculations anyone

ImageGood God, Viggo in a kilt ......but would he be like a true Scot and go "commando"?....... surely not.... I mean not with all the fighting he does....(ooh, a bit naughty!!)
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2005 02:21
Having read LotR myself 29 years ago ...
As Galadriel said "Even the smallest person can make a difference." And that, I feel, is definitely a creed to live by. By sticking to the basic tenents of humanity, Tolkien painted pictures of people not perfect, but doing the best they could. Even the Elves, considered above the petty strife of Men, were actually NOT.

I *just* finished the Silmarillion about a week and a half ago. I've been trying since 1977 to get through it with no success. My problem was the fact that I was trying to read it like a novel, can't do that. So, since I make a long commute to work each day, I checked it out on CD from my local library. I enjoyed listening to it both going to and from work.

I was shocked to hear of the Kinslaying and Fëanor's betrayals. I had always thought of the elves as above those things. I am now in the process of reading The Unfinished Tales to learn more of Middle Earth. It has brought a whole new light to Middle Earth for when I read LotR again for the umpteenth time. There is so much to learn and explore! Bless the Professor for giving us more to delve into than just the one wonderful story.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2005 09:07

Good God, Viggo in a kilt ......but would he be like a true Scot and go "commando"?....... surely not.... I mean not with all the fighting he does....(ooh, a bit naughty!!)

Remember. nothing is worn under the kilt, it's all in perfect working order! (We are talking about Viggo here) If I say any more I will be guilty of breaching the rules but you have certainly given me something to think about this morning.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 08:31
I thought I'd let you all know that the Middle-earth Festival in Vacaville had a wonderful turnout. The weather couldn't have been better! It was basically a street fair type setup. My wife and I attended Saturday where we hooked up with several friends to enjoy the event.

There's a very nice review with pictures at TheOneRing.net, including one of Old Tom and Goldberry.

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 01:05
Old Tom,
The pictures are awesome! It looks like it would have been so much fun! Someday someone...maybe I'll have to do it myself... will organize something nearer to where I live so I can attend something grand like this. Totally envious of you and all others who attended. Thanks for the pictures though. At least that way I can live through others. LOL
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 02:57
Oh that looks like it was so much fun! Wish I could have gone. Thanks for posting those, Old Tom. You and your spousal unit did an incredible job of portraying Tom and Goldberry.
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 04:58
Looks like a great time was had by all Ol" Tom ! The picture of you and the River Daughter is excellant... great shot.
Some day I hope to attend an event. We have nothing like it here in Massachusetts. They're all too busy taking themselves seriously. No fun, time to move but not to the edge of the world..... but maybe , if I'm good, someday , a vacation ... to an event ! That would be marvelous. Such great outfits!
Everone enjoy ! The sun shines today ! :cheers:
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 03:16
Old Tom,

That looks like a great time was had by all, and you 2 are awesome.

The weather here in DC is wonderful these days, time to get the yard cleaned up and ready for this year's garden. It feels so good to open up the house and let all the stale old winter air out for good.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 09:55
It has been a very long time since I posted in here, most of you probably don't even remember me. The pic was wonderful, Old Tom. I've never had the nerve to dress up like that. All the recent talk of making changes interested me. I'm not so much making changes as faced with them. I'm in the process of applying for disability retirement and haven't been to work in weeks. It's very unsettling for me and I'm not sure where or how I am going to be living. I'll probably end up going back to live nearer my daughter's family but I don't want to live with them for their sake and my own. They've only been married a few years and have a 15-month old daughter and don't need an old lady hanging around all the time. To bad I can't just sail into the undying lands. I'd like to know if anyone here has faced similar circumstances and how things worked out. I'm not looking for pity but any practical advice would be much appreciated.
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 10:46
Celebrian,

If you are able to live very near your daughter, that might be a really good move for everyone involved. We live a block from my 80-year old Mother in Law. We are able to check on her, run over to cut her grass or empty her mouse traps, run her to places she can't drive to. She comes over for dinner a few times a week which is fun for everyone and also makes sure she gets a few good meals - she was never much of a cook and now less so. Being that close has allowed her to have an extremely close relationship with our children. My own parents only live 10 miles away, but nothing beats being in walking distance.
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2005 09:13
Hi all. I am 47 and have loved reading the posts on this thread. So good to see others with same interests as me. I am from Perthshire in Scotland - also known as the gateway to the Highlands and there truly is some beautiful countryside around me. I have been obsessed with middle earth since the late 70`s when my brother gave me his Lord Of The Rings to read and have read it and other Tolkien works 2 -3 times a year since. This is my first post not counting the one in the Newbie Forum and I hope I have posted this correctly. I am still trying to find my way around CoE there is so much to see.
Well wish you all a good day and look forward to further chats in future.
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2005 10:06
Welcome delerithoflorien ! :wave: We hope that you have a delightful time here. It's great to have such Tolkien friends around the world. I imagine that Scotland is coming into bloom about now. Spring is such a wonderful time. With the long winter and snow melt past.... the magnolias and forsythia are blooming... the tulips, hyacinth, crocuses and bluettes have come .... the daffodils are close behind. When I look into the hills, I see the colors of buds.....it is like finding sunshine. Spring.....wonderful.
Sitting in the sun with the Silarillion is wonderful also
Enjoy !
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2005 03:45
delerithoflorien,
:wave: :cheers: Aiya máravë omentaina! I hope that you enjoy this site as much as the rest of us do. Lots to see, do, and learn about Tokien and his world. Welcome.
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2005 11:59
Hi MelianAroriel and scots56 thanks for the welcome.

MelianAniorel: Yes Spring is starting to arrive here in Scotland and I am so glad to see it. It has been a long and damp winter here. It is great to see the Spring blooms - makes you start to think of Summer.

scots56: Thanks for the welcome I am sure that I will really enjoy this site as I can never learn enough about Tolkien`s world.

Thanks again all. Looking forward to further chats about everything in general.
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 12:03
MelianAnoriel

Sorry I spelt your name wrong. Sincere apologies. Still trying to figure out how to post and was`nt paying proper attention.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 02:20
Welcome, delerithoflorien! :cheers: Can we call you Delerith for short?

I hope you don't mind a piece of advice, since you said yourself that you're still figuring out how to post: If you notice a mistake in your post (a typo for example) only after you have posted, there's an Edit button in the bar right below your post that takes you back to the post and lets you correct the mistake.
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 05:39
Thanks for the advice Morwinyoniel. And yes you can all call me Delerith for short.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 09:02
Hi all. :wave:

I also would like to welcome all newbies to this forum.

Up here in Canada we are still experiencing the tail end of winter. NO SNOW! YIPEEE!!! The weather is still cool enough that the flowers are just starting to come out of the ground. Today it is cloudy but the weather is nice enough for a sweater. It's nice to hear that others are having blossoms out in their yards.

I don't know if anyone noticed but we have almost done another FoF Forum with 600 posts. It won't be long till we set up another forum: Fans over Forty Part III?

I like this forum a lot. When I read of what other people have done in there lives it makes my life a little easier. I get a lot of advice from what others have written down.

So to all the newbies out there: Take it from someone who has lived a lifetime in 20 years. Listen to your heart and what others say. You never know what life will give you around the next corner. :cheers:

I will take my leave and say goodbye to all. Hope you all have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love: :disco:
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 04:01
Nice to meet you, Delerith :wave:

I live in the southern US and Spring has just about sprung here. The last of the robins left last week, the daffs are a beautiful memory and the azaleas are fading fast. I'm always interested in "progress reports" on the changing seasons in the rest of the world. I lived in the southern UK (Hampshire) in the late 70's and as near as I can recall Spring is probablly in full flower there about now. I guess for our friends in Oz and NZ it's getting to be Autumn about now. I look forward to hearing how things are with the rest of y'all.

:wave:
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 19, 2005 10:51
Hello All!
I've been catching up - it's been a while since I posted but I'm still here. Belated welcome from me to our cluster of newbies (or is that new oldies? ) Nice to see some Scots around, I'm officially one quarter Scottish and I was also a sucker for romantic tales of Bonnie Prince Charlie, Robert the Bruce and so on. I remember a great TV serialisation of "The Flight of the Heron" whose author I forget and must look up - set in the time of the 18th century uprisings anyway. In fact I now live within 20 miles of the most southerly point that Bonnie Prince Charlie's army reached in 1745. I'm right in the middle of England.

Old Tom, may I join the chorus of appreciation for your photos? You and Goldberry look fantastic! I especially like the yellow boots.

I enjoyed reading all your thoughts on life-changing events, and on being inspired by The Professor's work. I've been having a bit of a depressing time at work and there is every possibility of part of the company for which I work going through an upheaval over the next year. You've given me a timely reminder that I've been through this sort of thing before with the thought that "if Frodo could do it, so can I". Thank you!

Optimism was easier to fake first thing this morning when it was sunny and I could throw open the back door and go and admire my blossoming primula collection before breakfast. There is blossom on the pear tree, and the slugs haven't eaten my pea seedlings yet. So the wheel of life turns still...
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2005 07:09
Hey dol! merry dol! and a warm FoF welcome to Delerith! :wave:

Old Tom, may I join the chorus of appreciation for your photos? You and Goldberry look fantastic! I especially like the yellow boots.
Thank you, ma'am. I'm quite fond of the boots myself.

Old Tom has recently been inspired to take up the penny whistle (or tin whistle, if you prefer). The primary source of that inspiration has been their use on The Lord of the Rings movie soundtracks and the three albums recorded by The Tolkien Ensemble.

Following the suggestions of some folks on Tolkien Online and those found at Chiff & Fipple, I purchased a Susato Kildare Penny Whistle -S- Series in the key of D. The price at Groth Music was about $10 less than the Susato site, and at Groth I could order online using my credit card which I couldn't at Susato. I also purchased a book with CD published by Mel Bay, “Fun with the Tin Whistle”. I’ve had that about a month now and have enjoyed it quite a bit.

I’ve been teaching myself one of the songs from the An Evening in Rivendell album, “Sam's Song in the Orc-Tower”. The words are from the chapter “The Tower of Cirith Ungol” in The Return of the King:

In western lands beneath the Sun
the flowers may rise in Spring,
the trees may bud, the waters run,
the merry finches sing.
Or there maybe ‘tis cloudless night
and swaying beeches bear
the Elven-stars as jewels white
amid their branching hair.

Though here at journey’s end I lie
in darkness buried deep,
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

Peter Hall, one of the principal players in The Tolkien Ensemble, composed the music and performs the piece on the album. He plays the tune on a D penny whistle both before and after singing the two stanzas. I’d like to perform this piece sometime, but since I’m a high tenor B-minor is a little low for me. (I can sing it well enough, but it doesn't sit within my best range and taxes my voice a bit.) So what’s to do? Hmmm…I know, play it in D-minor! Well, if you hadn’t guessed, earlier today I ordered an F whistle from Groth.

Speaking of Susato, I noticed that they sell crumhorns. If they weren't so expensive I'd be tempted purchase one. So how's your crumhorn playing coming along, LadyAdaneth?
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2005 07:36
Newbie coming through -- someone please pass me my bifocals so I can read these posts!
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email