Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part II
on: May 04, 2005 08:19
Another southeasterner,[/b]vendeaErunyauve[b]. No wonder we have a few things in common. Tell me more about yourself, if you feel so inclined.

Not too much to tell... hmmmm... I am a self-employed journalist, working predominantly in the Christian music industry. I have loved LOTR since I was 11. I love the books and the movies and the collectibles and the books about the books and books about the movies and Legolas and Viggo in a kilt.... Well, just EVERYTHING LOTR!

How about you?
Caunwaith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2005 03:20
Thanks for the welcome.

I will be a grandfather for the first time on or about June 14, MT. This is also my 25th Anniversary. June will be a busy month to say the least.

I also want to add my conolences on your loss, Delerith. May God wrap His loving arms around you during this time.

Caunwaith
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2005 07:41
Welcome Caunwaith :wave: I am sure you will make many more friends here on FoF.

Just like to say thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.
They are very much appreciated.

I too am at the tail end of 40 and would`nt change any of my life experiences. They are what has made me who I am. Even though you wish you could turn back the hands of time you probably would do the same things over again most of the time.

Delerith
Even the smallest person can change the course of history.
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2005 07:05
delerith - just catching up on some posts - sorry for your loss.

Happy almost over Cinco de Mayo greetings to everyone! :disco:
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 07:11
Delerith, may I add my belated condolence? It always hurts to loose a loved one, even if you know it is better for them. The older we get the more of this thing we have to endure but it isn't something you get used to.

I must say it's interesting to talk to all you young folks in your fortys. I remember fortys. Not a bad place to be.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 08:42
I concur. Belated condolences. I lost my mother and father back in the late '70's, when they were far to young, as far as I'm concerned. Losing folks that are a part of your life is *never* easy, no matter your age. Heh... Celebrian, I'm 52, going on 53 this year so yeah, I can say my forties were actually awesome. Not that I'm complaining much, just the aches and pains are not a whole lot of fun. Don't feel old in my mind, just when I get up in the morning, the snap, crackle, and pop that greets me is *not* Rice Crispies. LOL
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 02:26
A wise professor of mine in college told me once, "If after the age of 50 and you wake up and nothing hurts; it's a good bet you're deadl" That has stuck with me oh, these many years since I've been in the hallowed halls of academia. It *still* makes me laugh.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 06:07
Being in the music industry must be exciting, [/b]VendeaErunyauve[b]. My eldest son plays guitar in a rock band for fun. He also writes the music and sings lead vocals. I've told him to hurry up and get discovered so that I can quit my job and drive the bus when he goes on tour.
I teach kindergarten (and have done so for 18 years) and am worn out atthis time of the year. Teaching kindergarten is like hearding cats.
You'll love being a grandfather, [/b]canuwaith[b]. It truly is a blessed thing. Are you expecting a boy or girl? Either way, I predict great joy ahead for you. I'll be seeing my grandkids this summer( in the Netherlands) and celebrating my 30th anniversary with a weekend in Paris (grandkids included).

You're right [/b]celebrian[b], my 40]s were nice, but I'm finding 50 quite fabulous. I think that now I'm begining to become the "real" me. Don't know why it took so long to happen. Guess I'm a late bloomer.Perhaps it's that Numenorean blood.l

52 is the new 42, [/b]BelleBayard[b]. You're young at heart and that's where it really counts.

I'm still thinking about Viggo in a kilt. (I think about him alot anyway, or couldn't you tell. Some things you never grow out of!) :drool: :naughty:

MT

[Edited on 7/5/2005 by MinasTirithMS]
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 11:42
Hello all! I am new to this place, but am "on the other side" of my 40's. I had a monumental birthday(one that ends in a 0) that I celebrated in Middle-earth fashion in March.

Hi there, I am new here myself. Still feel a little like an outsider, which is to be expected, I suppose. LOL

I turned 50 in January but I am still only 5 inside.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 07, 2005 10:24
Welcome, Valderra! :cheers:

I've often thought of my parents around the same age as I'm at the moment. Somehow, they were much older than I am now, especially my mother; of course, it has to do with everything they've had to go through in their lives, but still, I feel that the gap between my mother and me was far wider when I was 15 as it is between me and my 15-year-old. There are of course lots of differences, but I don't feel that we're living in completely different worlds.
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2005 02:31
Thanks for the welcome, Morwinyoniel. And yes, I know what you mean about the gap. When my mother was my age, I also thought that she was "over the hill". But then again, the young ones consider anyone a few years older than they are, as old. LOL
I remember when I was in my late teens, we went dancing to a place where we sometimes saw "older" people - they must have been in their late 20s. And we used to say: what are these old people doing here, don't they have a home to go to?" LOL

But yes, I also think that the age gap between my son (he is 24) and me isn't as big as it might have been between my mother and me, in that I can talk to my son about everything, which I didn't necessarily could with my mother. I guess it has to do with the upbringing.

And here I am boring you to death. I hope my post made sense - I should be in bed by now instead of here. LOL It's 1.30 in the morning.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2005 03:39
I think I understand what you mean. My mother was 21 when I was born and I was 27 when I had my daughter but I am closer, or at least able to speak more freely, with my daughter than ever with my Mom. Don't misunderstand, I loved my mother dearly. But when she was raising us there was a sort of wall between parents and children. My mother was not exactly a "children should be seen and not heard" type but it was a sort of keeping in your place. Parents and children were not equals. Mom was the boss. I think that view is still a good one to a point but I loosened it up considerably with my own child.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2005 05:12
I would like to say a big HI :wave: to all the newbies that have posted in this forum. You are going to have a great time here. It's nice to see a few men on this site.

I would like to say a few things of my mother. We became great friends during the last 4 years of her life. I lost my mother 7 years ago. I looked after her so that my family wouldn't put her into a nursing home. I wanted her to enjoy her life. I'm just a few years older than her when she gave birth to my baby bother who is 37 this November.

Since her passing I have found myself watching more cartoons and living life to the fullest. I don't act my age, which is 43. Both my kids are grown (boy, 24 girl, 1. But I'm not a grandmother yet. I don't know if I'm ready to be one.

I work in a grocery store that has high school kids. Some of them feel like they are my children. I am close to one of them. She does come to me to talk about work. I get along with people way younger and way older, but not my age. It's weird. I'm also single which makes it even easier. I have no ties. Nobody to tell me what to do. I like that. My life is great.

Anyways, I would like everyone to know that my mother is in a better place. She is at peace. If anyone has lost a love one you know what I mean.

I will say goodnight and have a great weekend.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2005 05:57
I feel a kinship, [/b]Valderra[b]. I'm 50 on the outside and 5 on the inside right along with you. Perhaps that's why I relate so well with my kindergarten students.
I actually get along very well with folks around my son's age (29). I don't feel the gap that I did with my mom either, [/b]celebrian[b], but maybe it's just my perception on this side of the situation.
Thanks for the welcome,[/b]balrog[b]. I'm sorry about the loss of your mom. I'm glad that you had an opportunity to spend time with her. My mother passed away at age 42 when I was 16. Seems that I've missed her most in these latest years of my life.

Happy mother's day to those of you who are mothers. :cheers: A heartfelt thanks to those mothers who are no longer with us.:heart:

MT
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2005 07:19
Happy mother's day to those of you who are mothers. :cheers: A heartfelt thanks to those mothers who are no longer with us.:heart: MT

Ditto. Those of you with moms... give your mom an extra hug for me... :hug:
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 02:55
Oh... Mother's Day is long over here in the UK. We have it in March. But happy Mother's Day to all you mothers in the USA !!

And Celebrian, well, I was still brought up in a time where children were suppose to be out of sight (and out of mind?) LOL I remember that we weren't allowed to talk at the dinner table, nor did we read while eating (except my father, he was allowed all those things we weren't). Also, it was always my father who got the best and largest piece of meat. I guess this still happens today in most families.

If I look at the way I was brought up and the way I brought up my own son, there is a world of difference.

And thanks for the welcome, Balrog. And I don't remember ever acting my age - well, most of the time anyway.
And I am also truly sorry for your loss. It must be very hard to lose a person close to you, especially if you got on well.

And hurrayyyyyy for another member who has reached the half-century milestone - Minas Tirith. LOL But I don't fee like I am 50. And yes, I think I rather act like a "young" person and often think that if I saw other "older" people acting the way I do sometimes, I would probably think there is something wrong with them. hehehe
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 07:07
Happy mothers day from me as well to all you American mums.

I think I must have been very lucky with my mother as I could discuss anything with her. She was more like my older sister but she was strict about certain things. It was just the age we were brought up in I suppose.

I also lost my mother when I was 27 and I think it makes you look at things differently when you lose a parent when they were still quite young. You tend to remember a lot of things through rose tinted glasses only remembering the good things because any troubles now seen so trivial.

I too don`t act my age but as I am single and don't have the responsibility of bringing up children I can more or less do what I like within reason.

Delerith

[Edited on 8/5/2005 by delerithoflorien]
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 07:44
I too don`t act my age but as I am single and don't have the responsibility of bringing up children I can more or less do what I like within reason.

Delerith

[Edited on 8/5/2005 by delerithoflorien]

Same here, I can act more or less the way I like because a) my son is all grown up and lives his own life. And even though he tells me from time to time that I should act my own age.. I just laugh at him.
And b) I have a wonderful husband who accepts me just the way I am.
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 07:44
I am a man from Gondor

I am a man from Gondor
I love my country and people
I would die for both

We have no king
My father is the steward
My brother Boromor
Is a wonderful leader and captain
His men love him so
And father loves him so

I am a man from Gondor
I would die for both

Father sent Boromir to Rivendell to bring
back a mighty gift
I saw my brother off
He said,"Remember this day little brother"
I know that Boromir loves me
I watched my brother ride away

I am a man of Gondor
I would die for both

My rangers and I captured Frodo and Sam
Through Gollum I found out about the ring
A mighty gift to bring my father
And he would love me
A mighty gift that would take me out of the shadow of Boromir

I am a man of Gondor
I would die for both

Went to Osgiliath for it was under attack
Frodo told me that the ring would not be safe
The ringwrath came and I hid Sam and Frodo
Frodo walked up to the ringwrath and was going to put on the ring
Sam stopped Frodo from doing that and they fall down the stairs
I aimed my arrow at the ringwrath and hit the foul beast

I am a man of Gondor
I would die for both

Over heard Sam telling Frodo, "That there is some good in this world and it is worth fighting for"
I knelt down as to be eye level with Frodo
I Said, "I think that we understand each other Frodo"

I am a man from Gondor
I would die for both

I know that I had just forfeit my life
I know that I would never have my fathers love
I don't have my brothers love
But I did what I felt was right

I am a man from Gondor
I would die for both

Sam made me smile when he said, "You have shown your true quality sir and it is the very highest"
I showed them the way out of the city, into the forest
Told them to go with our men in good faith
I told Gollum that he had better not bring them to harm

I am a man of Gondor
I would die for both

Father was furious with me
He believed that Boromir would have bought him this mighty gift
No I said, "Boromir would have kept the ring for himself
And when he came back, you would not have known your son"

I am a man of Gondor
I would die for both

Father sent my rangers and myself out to a suicide mission
to retake Osgiliath which is now over run by orcs
Father said that he would not give up Osgiliath
That my bother had kept safe
"But my lord Osgiliath is over run over"
"Much must be risked in war" said father
"Is there a captain here that has the courage to his lord will"

I am a man from Gondor
I would die for both

"You wish our places had been exchanged that I died and Boromir lived
Father said, "Yes I wish that"
"Since you were robbed of Boromir I will do what I can in his stead"
"Think better of me father, if I shall return"
Father said,"That would depend of the matter of your return"

I am a man of Gondor
I would die for both

I lived through the suicide attempt
Father tried to burn me alive
Gandalf and Pippin saved me
In the house of healing for my wounds

I am a man of Gondor
I would die for both

Father is dead
The king as returned to Gondor
I will not be a steward of Gondor
I will not follow in my father footsteps

I am a man of Gondor
I will die for both

In the house of Healing
I was Healed by the king
There was a beautiful lady
In the house of healing
Who also was healed by
the king of Gondor

I am a man of Gondor
I will die for both

Aragorn the king of Gondor
was crowned king by Gandalf
I have fallen in love with
Eowyn the shieldmaiden of Rohan

I am a man of Gondor
I will die for both

Now I am the Prince of Ithilien
And I am married to the Shieldmaiden of Rohan
Aragorn is the King of Gondor

I am a man of Gondor
I will die for both

[Edited on 8/5/2005 by faramirgirl]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 07:54
:wave: Valderra:
Welcome to the FoF thread. Cool people here.

Act my "age"!!!??? I can't imagine acting my age. In fact, when I get around people my age and they are so...well....I guess the word I'm looking for is "mature and proper" I feel somewhat out of place. I guess that's why I do well with the kids that I teach. I think like them. Now, that's not to say that I don't act grown-up... I do, I just don't act old. I've had many people shocked that I'm banging on 50's door. They thought I was younger. yay me!

A very Happy Mother's Day to all; even those of you in the U.K. My lovely son sent me an absolutely fabulous boquet of flowers. He's never sent me flowers before. He is turning 21 in just under a week, and he's lived on his own for the past 3 years. His dad even said he didn't remind him, that he just called and told him to be sure to be home to pick them up as they were delivered. He was so tickled when he called after they were delivered. Gotta love it when they do that for you.
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 07:59
Thanks very much for the welcome, Scots... *waves back"

And that's what I was trying to say... I don't act old or "my age", whatever that is suppose to mean. I think my son thinks I should be sitting in a rocking chair, knitting. LOL Nothing against knitting, have done a scarf or two in my time, but there is so much more out there. And, I am proud to say, I am much more informed about the computer and internet than my son is. LOL So, just because I am "older", doesn't mean I suddenly have to stop what I always enjoyed and start doing "old people's things".
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 08:10
Welcome Valderra

Happy mother days to all of the mothers on the board.
Valderra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 08:24
Thank you, Faramirgirl.
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 01:59
I just love this song

Lay down
Your sweet & weary head
Night is falling
You have come to journey's end

Sleep now
Dream-of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across a distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away

Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?

Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come
To carry you home

And all will turn to silver glass
A light on the water
All souls pass

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time

Don't say
We have come now to the end
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again

And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?

Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come
To carry you home

And all will turn to silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the West
Related:
Annie Lennox Lyrics

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 02:32
I guess I don't "act my age" either. I was very responsible, mature and level-headed when my sons were growing up and living at home. I had to set a good example for them. Now that they have grown up, I can spend some time on myself, doing things that give me joy. It's taken me 50 years to find those things that I have a passion for and to be comfortable enough in myself to do it with abandon. Middle-age is a wonderful gift.
I don't feel like going to work tomorrow. I want to stay home. I have to remind myself that there are only 14 days of school left. My soul is in need of a long break from teaching (along with it's many non-teaching responsibilities)

MT
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 11:24
Hi everyone!

I certainly seem to ahve started something mentioning Viggo in a kilt I think he could carry it off. I have seen quite a few men in klits and some of them should never have tried it! I must look out for Viggo in the shorts though sounds interesting (wipes drool of keyboard!)
Caunwaith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 02:55
Hey everyone! :wave:

Yeah, I find myself of late not really acting my age either. I guess I never thought I would reach 51, or maybe it just snuck up on me or something.
Now I just want to see my kids grow up to be responsible, Christian adults. So far, so good.

Also, a belated Happy Mother's Day to all of you who are moms. You keep us guys in line more than you know.

Caunwaith
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 03:19
IMHO...you're as old as you act. LOL
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 07:39
Nighty-nite "old" friends!
MelianAnoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 12:17
Hello to all the newbies :cheers: and my condolences to those who have lost loved ones :hug:
I have been so out of touch... got hurt at work and tore a bicep tendon... having a baby was less painful. Now the boss is giving me grief. I can't figure some folks out. I'm looking in the rearview mirror myself. The body doesn't bounce back like it used to.... maybe I should act my age. I don't think so... but maybe put more "thought" into what I do do.
Viggo in a kilt is getting a lot of milage... maybe some one should tell him that it may be a good idea. He could borrow Billy's.
Thanks for the recipes Tom... sounds yummy. I did aquire "A Night at Rivendale" but have not yet aquired "AN Evening at Rivendel". I might have to get it used. I was told the manufacturer was no longer making any. We shall see.
May the sun shine on all of you ! Happy Spring and a belated Mothers Day to all Moms.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 03:45
Ouch! A torn bicep? Yikes! What sort of work do you do, MelianAnoriel? Your boss needs to get a grip. Such injuries take a long time to heal. Sheesh...
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 04:27
That is such a good idea about Viggo in a kilt, HeriTavaril. I think that you should tell him. Personally, I'd like to see him in a leather one. Please add that in.
Would you wear a kilt, Caunwaith? In the summer??
Old friends are the best, VendeaErunyauve.
Sorry to hear about your torn bicept tendon, MelianAnoriel. I wish you pain free days , swift healing and understanding at work and at home.

The morning drive to work was slow and trecherous due to thick fog. I felt as if I were on the Barrow Downs with the hobbits. Thank goodness there were no wights in sight.

Wishing you all pleasant days and nights of restful repose.

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 01:47
Ouch! A torn bicep? Yikes! What sort of work do you do, MelianAnoriel? Your boss needs to get a grip. Such injuries take a long time to heal. Sheesh...

Owie! You'd think the orc bosses would get a clue! It makes me truly thankful for my bosses, wonderful group.:heart:
I hope you're feeling better. Don't rush it though...that only makes it take more time to heal. That I'm speaking from experience.

Almost Friday the 13th!! Yay! Why are you excited do you ask? Last Day of School!!! *dances around room madly* Yay, Me!! I'm worse than the kids I do believe. :naughty:
Caunwaith
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 02:34
I don't believe a kilt is in my wardrobe, but I never say never. BTW, what do they really wear under those things?

Sometime I'll have to tell you about bosses where I work that cut staffing but not workload. Particularly annoying are those that don't have to work the swing shift I do, yet Monday mornings come in with all the work they dream up over their weekend.

I am glad to have a job, but give me a break!

Thansk for letting me vent, you all!

Caunwaith
delerithoflorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 05:49
Caunwaith all true Scotsmen don`t wear anything beneath the kilt it is really the only way it should be worn - right hardy guys were the highlanders long ago.

Boss`s can be such pains MelianAnoriel. I should hope your boss would be a bit more compassionate as your accident happened at work. I hope your torn bicep is less painful soon and I agree with scots56 it is`nt worth rushing the healing process, take it easy and try to enjoy the time you have away from your work.

scots56 enjoy your break from School I am sure you deserve it after all the hard work you teachers put into teaching the youngsters.

Delerith
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email