Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
briseis_orqu_apollo
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part II
on: August 04, 2004 02:46
Sorry to disrupt any conversations, but...

I'm not yet 40 (heheh) my mum's 54 and she's still acting like a fangirl of 'David Wenham'.

Help!
PLBLAIR
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 03:01
Hi! Wow, miss a few days, and you miss all kinds of great comments. The Sheridan County Fair is going full swing here, and that's one of my beats to cover, so what with being down one person on staff, and it being the busy time of our year, I didn't get a chance at my computer for a couple of days.
Old Tom Bombadil ... Thanks for bringing up some great memories of Gordon Lightfoot. I have to confess, my favorite song of his was - and still is, for that matter - the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's been so long since I last heard it, I can only recall bits and pieces now ... "The legend's gone round from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitcheegumee ... (I don't think I spelled that right. Anyway, as the song goes, thanks (really thanks) for the memories.
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 07:00
Sorry to disrupt any conversations, but...

I'm not yet 40 (heheh) my mum's 54 and she's still acting like a fangirl of 'David Wenham'.

Help!
Well I am over 40 just a little. But I am a big David Wenham fan too. So tell her, she isn't alone in that. Oh sorry I can't help there. I think that your mom and I would get along just fine. Think about it we could sat and talk about David all day and night.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 07:48
Greetings from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that we will not be able to obtain the following item from your order:

Tolkien Ensemble Cd7575 44221 "Lord of the Rings Collectors Set"

Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found that it is not available from any of our sources at this time. We realize this is disappointing news to hear, and we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you.
:sob:

Goldie, I need you to use your super powers to find me a copy. Goldie-wan-Kenobi, you're my only hope!
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 11:28
Yikes! I should look in more often!

Thank you Balrog, for the congrats! :heart: I wouldn't do it unless it was fun, that's for sure! :love:

:cry: :cry: :cry: Old Tom... I have no idea how to find you the CD... :cry: :cry: :cry: I must have gotten the last one... I'm sooo sorry... I wish I could help...
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 03:19
Well, now Amazon has both "Evening" and "Night" available for order so I'm going to spin the big wheel of fate again. Wish me luck!

Goldie, your task, whether or not you choose to accept it, is to muster up all of your super mojo and call upon the god of CDs. (I'm not sure, but I think that's Aulë. Vanà maybe?) Anyway, your job is to invoke their super voodoo powers to bring the Tolkien Ensemble CDs to my doorstep. Ready? On your mark, get set, go!

Okay! My work is done here. Carry on, everyone. :wave:
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 04:26
Hi everybody!
Congratulations Goldie! A well-deserved honor to be sure!:heart:

Nothing important to report, only, just remembered the very last stanza to On Top of Spaghetti:

So if you eat spaghetti
All covered with cheese
Hold on to your meatballs,
And don't ever sneeze!

Good luck Tom on your quest! Wish I could come to the "party" in Calif. I know you wiil have a great time and so will everybody who is around you!

Enjoy the high days of summer, Middle-earth loving folk. Autumn creeps around the bend!
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 11:53
Just showing my face.

Congrats Goldie on your award.

Old Tom: Wow, wish I could get to Calif, but it's a bit of a trek from Manchester in the UK. Have a great time, as I am sure everyone will.

Just a quick revert to the wonderful John Denver. I think his voice is like crystal clear water. Pure and sparkling. And I agree with the fact that you can understand everything he sings. I have most of his records/CDs and have seen him live, albeit years ago. :love:

Shireling: I'm sort of looking forward to Autumn, for the colours if nothing else. As for high Summer, I'm afraid Miss Summer passed us by this year. So, apart from Mother Nature's wonderful autumnal display, weatherwise it won't be much different, here in the UK, than that we have already had. *sigh*.

And where has the year gone! Only 19 weeks to Christmas, roughly!! I don't know about over in the USA, but the shops in the UK will soon be bristling with Christmas decorations and cards.

Hope everyone is keeping well. :love:

Rose
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 03:03
And where has the year gone! Only 19 weeks to Christmas, roughly!! I don't know about over in the USA, but the shops in the UK will soon be bristling with Christmas decorations and cards.

I was at Hobby Lobby (one of the big craft stores here in town) last week, and low-and-behold, there were all kinds of Halloween things. Hummm, Halloween in late July/August? Went down the next row...Thanksgiving...the next 10 rows...Christmas. So I guess that at least at Hobby Lobby in Lincoln, Nebraska, Christmas is arriving already. I have to admit though, that I had fun looking at all the neat stuff they had for this upcoming holiday season.

Old Tom:
I sure wish I could be at your get together in September. Alas, school is in full swing and vacation time has been used. :cry: I hope that all who attend have a wonderful time. I'll be sending my best wishes your way although they'll have to work opposite the prevailing westerlies to get there.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2004 02:22
Hi one and all!

19 weeks til Christmas!! Yikes! I think it comes earlier every year!

I was in Shopko today and the shelves were being emptied of summer stuff and they will probably be replaced with "jingle Bells" stuff now. Wow, time goes so fast!

Well, my dog got up close and personal with a porcupine last night---twice! Had to take her to the vet to get the little buggers out. I just couldn't hold her and pull the quills at the same time, though I did manage to get 10 or so by out by hand and with pliers before we opted for the vet. Some were pretty deep, so it was just as well we went. I hope she learned, but the vet said don't count on it. After the first round we headed back for home when she stopped at Mr. P. and started to tell him how unimpressed she was with the quills. Hence she became unimpressed again. (sigh). Oh, well, I love her anyway!:heart: :heart::heart:

Fare well for now!
Shireling
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 07:50
Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! My darling!

Well, my friends, "soonish" has finally come. That's right, Old Tom has finally painted the master bathroom!

I did the prep work on Saturday, started painting in earnest on Sunday, then put in two to two-and-a-half hours Monday and Tuesday evenings, and another hour-and-a-half of touch up work this evening. I believe it's pretty much done. One finally look-see to make sure that I caught all of the (noticeable) pinhole size spots and thin areas then I can put away the paint and the brushes.

What color did I paint it you ask? Well, the tile floor, commode, sink, and shower tile are all an ivory to beige sort of color; at one time I believe the paint must have matched pretty closely. The previous owners had painted the entire bathroom white. (Boring! :yawn: ) I painted the room a sage green almost avocado sort of color, but maybe a tint or two lighter. (It’s official Dutch Boy® name is “Chapel Hill” green.)

As far as accessories go, some time back I purchased a “leaves mocha” light switch plate from switchhits.com. It’s perfect! I also removed the old towel bar and toilet paper holder and am replacing them with ones that are bronze or gold colored with a “sculpted leaf” motif. I bought them online many months ago at Pier 1 Imports, but it appears that they no longer carry them so I can’t link you to the pictures. Well, I guess that's about all of that for now.

Shireling, it appears your pooch hasn't gotten the point of not messing with porcupines. Ouch!

Hey everyone, it was 105°F today so let’s not have any talk about Christmas, yet, okay?

Well, I guess that's about all for now. Y'all keep cool now, ya hear?

Oh, one final tidbit. Have you all seen this depiction of a Balrog by John Howe? (You may have seen it in the Random Block on this website.) Anyway, my name for this picture is "Bullrog". (Check out those horns!)
PLBLAIR
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 10:00
Old Tom Bombadil ... How close are you to Sheridan, WY, and are you open to painting for hire? I love to envision fixup/cleanup, but I hate actually doing it. If I had a bazillion dollars, I would pay someone to do all the scrubwork for me.
Here's a question I was thinking about the other day: How did you discover Tolkien and when? For me it was a high school French teacher in 1966 (the year I graduated). He was always encouraging his students to read (and I don't need much encouragement; I used to drive my mother nuts reading during meals). Anyway, he asked if I had heard of "The Hobbit"? I said no, so a week later, he gave me a copy of the book, and I was hooked on Tolkien from that moment. It took me a year later, in college, to discover the Lord of the Rings, but I have since bought (and worn out) several copies of the set. Thanks to the movies, I recently reread the books and love them as much as ever. Now I'm working on the Silmarillion.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 05:34
How did you discover Tolkien and when?

I first heard about Tolkien and the LOTR in 1978 when the animated movie was released. At that point, I didn't pay much attention. But, a few years later when I was in my late twenties, I noticed the LOTR one-volume edition in a friend's bookshelf, borrowed it, and loved it. Later, I bought it myself, as well as The Hobbit, the Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales, all of which I've read several times, and recently also the History of Middle Earth series.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 08:19
It was the summer of 1969 (I was 17 1/2...), June actually, and my Mom had read the books, including the Hobbit of course, the month before and thought I would like them. Um... Duh? I've been obsessed ever since! I don't think she could have know how they would affect me but she is the one responsible and the one I blame! And thank. :heart:

And I've read them many times since, but am only on page 81 of The Sil... Just can't seem to get into it. And I've not read any other Tolkien books. I much prefer to write than read...
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 09:25
Old Tom Bombadil ... How close are you to Sheridan, WY, and are you open to painting for hire? I love to envision fixup/cleanup, but I hate actually doing it. If I had a bazillion dollars, I would pay someone to do all the scrubwork for me.
How close? Well, taking a glance at the map I'd say 1000 miles or so as the Eagle flies. (I live about 100 miles from San Francisco.) A handyman I’m not, so I definitely wouldn’t be any help fixing things, and I'm only a novice painter so you wouldn't want to hire me even if I was close. Fortunately, painting is one of the easiest and least expensive things you can do to improve the look of your home.

You can learn a lot from reading books, visiting websites, and watching home improvement shows on TV; I highly recommend these sources of information. I’m told that most of the work is in the preparation, and I tend to agree. Good preparation can make a big difference between doing a nice job and having an unmitigated disaster. Do make sure to take the time to do the job right. You’ll be very happy that you did.

If you’re not up to doing the job yourself, you may want to ask friends, neighbors, and co-workers for recommendations. Often you’ll find someone has a relative, or perhaps a member of their church who does odd jobs, including home repairs and such at a lower rate than some of the overpriced professionals.
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 02:10
Greetings from Middle England folks!
Too much to catch up on everything since my last visit but...

Painting tip from me - I agree with Old Tom that it's something you can teach yourself. I've found out the hard way that it's worth buying good equipment, it makes life a lot easier and you'll still save compared to getting someone else to do the work.

My introduction to Tolkien? Well I was given, and read, the Hobbit aged 5. I hardly remember not living half-in-half-out of ME! This probably explains a lot... I must say that the films gave my obsession a new lease of life though, and finding a second home in CoE has been wonderful

Seasonal shopping? Well round us it's still "Back to School" everything. About 3 weeks until most UK schools go back (and my youngest starts for the first time a week later *sniff*) then it'll be Christmas toy selling season soon after....
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 02:12

It was the summer of 1976, and I was visiting my then-boyfriend from college. He gave it to me to read while I was there. I think I absorbed the Hobbit in less than 24 hours. Then he gave me LotR. I vividly remember laying on the floor of the living room of his parents (my bones wouldn't tolerate laying on the ground now) reading these wonderful books. When I got to the part when the Hobbits were fleeing the black riders in the Shire, hiding in the tree by the road, when I asked him if about them and if they got away. He looked at me and told me there were NINE of them. I literally felt my skin crawl. So many years ago and that feeling still gets to me when I read the books. At least ONE good thing came from that relationship...a life-long love/obsession of Tolkien.

I was hooked then. When I was a senior in college, our drama department did a production of The Hobbit. I had always been in the background doing sets. Too shy to actually get up in front of an audience. When I heard about this production, I HAD to be in it. So I was. I was Nori, one of the dwarves....beard and all. Spirit gum to attach it and you just had to rip the thing off. Most of the cast were women for some reason. Good times.

When the spousal unit and I told my parents that we were getting married, he gave me the leather-bound edition of The Hobbit engraved with a beautiful sentiment. Then for our first Christmas he bought me the leather-bound of The Lord of the Rings. I've read them so many times I've lost count.
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 02:23
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1978 the Bakshi animated version of LotR. I thought it was wonderful. My son was just 8 years old and when the film had finished at the cinema, I got the advertsing poster from outside, for him. He still has it now.

I have to be honest, that although we had the books in the house, due to my son reading them, I never picked them up. It was when I heard about a film being made and went to see it, that I caught the bug. I bought the Hobbit and the Trilogy. I read them all the time. I love the films, but prefer the books.

Goldie: I think I beat you with the Sil, just. I am like you, I can't really get into it

I have all of Tolkien's books on my computer, as well as samples of him reading from the Trilogy, and his last ever interview.

He has such a stirring voice and it is interesting to hear the man, himself, pronounce the names as he intended them to be.

When I was at School, the books had only just been published and were not on any curriculums, so I was not introduced to them from an early age. But now I am. :love:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 06:15
quote:

I don't know if I wrote this but I too love Lotr. I first saw them in 1976 on the Bakshi movie. I didn't understand what the story was about. I wasn't into that type of film. Fantasy wasn't a big part of my life then. I was thinking on what to do for a career.

When I was sitting in a theatre watching the previews they came up with Lotr:Fotr. I thought it would be kinda neat to see. Elijah Wood and Ian McKellan were in it. Plus I could pass up on the cutest face you have ever seen since the Goonies: Sean Astin. After I saw Fellowship I was hooked. I knew that my roomie had the books so I borrowed them and read them. I read all three books in 6 weeks. I think that was when I turned into a GEEK.

I ended up getting the trilogy and the Hobbit. I also found the Sil, Unfinished Tales, and Book of Lost Tales Pt 1 + 2. I also have the movie books. All of them.

I have also sooo many posters. Plus I love looking into the CoE things. I might take a look into Elvish. I wouldn't mind learning the language.

So there you have it. I AM A GEEK!!!!!!!!!!!
:he :love: :dizzy: art: :heart:
Glorfindel_of_Imladris
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 07:59
Greetings all!

This is my second post at CoE and I was directed over here to the old folks thread *smiles and waves*

So to prove I too belong here in this lengthy and interesting thread: I was a sophomore in high school when JFK was asassinated and when the Beatles first album "Meet the Beatles" came out (same year or close to it) and watching that first Ed Sullivan show. Moody Blues and Led Zeppelin became favorites a couple years later.

Tolkien spoke to me in written word when The Hobbit came out and then the other books successively hooked me until finally The Silmarillion became my alternative to a real history book that was much more fascinating and sent my imagination soaring. Sadly, no one in my immediate circle of friends at this time expresses more than a mild interest in the books although they have seen the movies. No enjoyable indepth conversations are possible on the subject except online. Generally a listener rather than a lecturer I will be in the background thoroughly enjoying a subject, yes, lurking would be the term.

I also am involved online in roleplay (not here) and have been attempting to help younger roleplayers in their Tolkien-style roles posting. It's been a lot of fun! I am also involved in a private roleplay that started out innocently enough as a one night chat roleplay (AU) and has snowballed into a huge extravaganza with all our creative efforts on a web page called Second Darkness (Sauron gets his ring back).

This CoE site is so big I get lost in the thing and could be here for days wandering around learning things! I would appreciate any member of the "over 40 club" sending me a private message if there is some interesting discussion concerning the history of Middle Earth that I may not be aware of.

Ah well, time to get busy around here, temps in the 90's soon...

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Glor
Ssinjin_JivElgg
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 03:36
Greetings All.. hhhmm i was derected to this thread for the oldies.. not sure how to take that.. LOL kidding.. I'm glad I'm here.. and I thought I was the only fan my age... This is AWSOME .. lol now i don't feel like so alone. lmao.
I've been a fan of Tolkien since i was around 13 yrs old and i'm still a fan..and forever will be. Thanks you again for derecting me here... um oops forgot your name... aaah i think its.. Nenya_Gold. *smiles* to all
Linweseregon
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 05:40
Hi everyone, I've only just started on this whole forum thingy so please be kind.
How did I discover Tolkein, I'd like to say that my mother encouraged me to read them, but they would be lying. The only encourgment she gave was to be a 'good girl and work hard'
Never mind that's all in the past. I suppose I first found them through my local library. The lady in the kids section got fed up with me asking for 'adult' books that she took me into the adult section and sat me down with The Hobbit, I was about aged 10 at the time. Things began to look up a bit after that. I could always escape to Middle Earth when things got tough. Many years later I met my marvellous soul mate, (Aragorn has nothing on this guy, well maybe something). We've been together for over 25 years now and have raised a Tolkein mad daughter. Her ambition for going to university - to be able to join the Tolkein Society.
I can cetainly say with great gratitude that all of Tolkeins works have helped me through some really bad times in my life, I can still happily spend an entire day off day dreaming and wondering and regreting that the master never wrote more than he did
Love to all us oldie golden members
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 09:53
Hi everybody! just a quick note to welcome the newbies! Glad you found us and hope you enjoy. This is an awesome site!
Off and running!
Shireling
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 10:48
Yay! So good to see you three made it to our little corner of CoE. Hope you enjoy the chatter. :love:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 04:49
OMG. OMG. OMG.

I don't log in and write something and the whole world goes bezerk!

Aiya all you new folks. I can see now what happens when a person gets so wrapped up in an RP they forget the rest of the world is out there doing other things.

I'll have to go print the whole thread. Then I'll get back to ya.

And somebody remind me to click the box that says Receive email notification of new replies!

See ya
Lothien_Vilya
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 06:39
I'm like Lothien...forget the posts. I have been sooooo busy lately that I keep forgetting about FoF.

I'm doing a mural for work with fish. It represents the bottom of the ocean. Looks pretty good. Also been busy with work and doing the RP that I forgot the real world.

Lothien, don't forget to check off your RECEIVE EMAIL NOTIFICATION OF NEW REPLIES. You will end up forgetting us.:cry: You don't need to forget us.

We are here to take care of each other. :love:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 07:15
I feel like Lothien_Vilya, so wrapped in the Rp on the CoE in the TT thread and then the MSN with the people in the post. I also feel as if I died and went to acronym *he double toothpicks*.
I've been in Island Park, Idaho and Jackson Hole, Wyoming for the last few days on a short vacation before school starts and bean harvest starts on the farm. It was great. I rode class 3 rapids on the Snake River and didn't die. I wasn't even really scared. It was awesome!
Work starts tomorrow. I'm a school teacher.

When did I first learn about Tolkein? I must admit my coming to the alter of J.R.R.Tolkein happened rather late in life. Only at the time of the release of the first movie did I even have any real inkling that it was out there. When my son asked me to go to the movie with him and then told me there was a book I told him I had to read the book first. Then he told me about the trilogy and that Peter Jackson was making three films and that the Hobbit was really the first book...Well I started from the beginning and finished the lot of it before the second movie was released. I had the DVD and the extended DVD of FoTR the day they came out on shelves. Same with the rest.
That's about it.
Love it, love it, love it!:heart:

[Edited on 18/8/2004 by brandywine]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 02:23
:banghead: *sigh* School has started...well, at least for me. Oh, right, I've been at school all summer. Silly me! Kids come on Monday though, and I've been trying to get my room and lesson plans in order. I haven't been too successful until yesterday. I got a lot done, which is a good thing.

Wish me luck! The scores for our #@*% assessment portfolios came out online yesterday. Well, the notification that we can view it online tomorrow came. I put so much time, effort, and heart into the thing...I hope it does well. That plus the fact if I get a good 'grade' I won't have to do the darn thing next year. *crosses fingers, toes, eyes, and everything anatomically able to cross*
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 06:45
Scots56: Know what you mean about those dratted state tests. We got our results and we made the grade. We made our AYP at our school. Many did not. However with the "No Child Left Behind" bull pucky we will have to raise scores in reading and math another 6% this year to keep our AYP. Everyone is supposed to be 100% successful by 2013. I think I'll retire if that doesn't happen. Honestly, how are we going to make every kid score perfectly? I ask you? What if they push the wrong button on the computer screen on 1 answer.

Okay, off my soap box, the BP is going up and so is the heart rate.

We are back at school too. I'm going to take a stab at lesson plans tomorrow and hopefully finish by 3 sections of bulletin board in the back of the room devoted to academics. Our kids start on the 23rd.

Took the daughter to college and left her in her lonely, but cute, dorm room. I cried.:cry: It's so sad to have them grow up and LEAVE. I want them to grow up and stay and be my roomies.

I love my kids, both the ones I've been given by God and the ones I've been allowed to teach.:heart:

Blessings of the Valar on all.
:angel:
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 07:10
Hi All!
Yes indeedy school starts Monday, and I'll be there this Saturday still getting ready! I love the beginning of school. It just always seems like I'm two steps behind being prpared no matter how early I start. Somehow the game plan keeps changing (along with brain cells floating away to that land of the unknown where lost dryer socks and lost em messages go)
Still, I LOVE:heart:autumn! I love all the seasons, but this is my fav.! Good luck to Scots56 and Brandywine! See you in the trenches!
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 04:12
It looks like everyone is telling stories of how they first came to be aquainted with 'The Professor'. So, I figure I will tell you mine.

In 1976 I was in the USNavy. I was in communications and we worked 24/7. The night shift (3) was pretty boring some times and we were allowed to read. One of the guys I worked with was a Navy Seal doing his 'shore' rotation. Here he was 6'2", build like a brick, handsome as could be, only with a shaved head. But I liked him anyway. One night this big burly guys comes up to me and drops the 'Hobbit' on my desk. "you'll like it." he says and walks off. - - - I didn't like it, I loved it.

Shortly after reading the Hobbit, I was transferred to 'Operation Deep Freeze' homeported in Port Huenneme, California. Our job was to provide support for scientific research taking place on the Antartic Continent. I left the US on January 6, 1977. Along with me were three paperback books: FOTR, TT, ROTK.

I spent the next couple of months working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. In my 'spare' time I read. After all, what are you gonna do as one of 13 women amongst 1500 men? But I did read all three of them and was hooked.

I turned into a moderate finatic. Once back in California, I found a nice leather pack that looked just like I imagined Sam's to look like. I bought a long thin, small bowled pipe (I even took to smoking it from time to time) got myself a nice walking staff and was off to wander the the wood and mountains in that part of California.

I have read the books a few times over the years. Read them to my daughter when she was little, but she was never a big fan.

When I heard they were making the movies, I figured I had better 'bone-up' so I started to read. Since then I have read them several times and this year, I have read them four times. I come to the end of ROTK and can't stand to be parted from the fellowship and start right over at the beginning. I took a break from the book and read most of the Silmarillion earlier this year and then I found this website! ! ! I think the Will of the Valor pointed me here.

That's just a bit of how I got here. Has been nice to read the other tales of how like minded souls have come to 'this place'.

Saesa omentien lle

Lothien_Vilya . :hug:
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 23, 2004 10:52
Lothien_Vilya, you have had an interesting career! You took me back to when I was about 11 years old. Our woodwork teacher had been in the Antarctic and lost no opportunity to tell us what it had been like. He'd say "When I was in the Antarctic" (but in a strong North-East English accent) and we'd mentally groan. As he was not remotely scientific, I can only think he was there for techie support in building things etc. The one thing that stands out was that they had to eat porridge with packs of butter stirred in, to keep their calorie intake up. Yeurch!!!:cry: Since then, you are the only person I have encountered with links to the research that was (and I suppose still is) going on in that far country...

Like you in a way I was able to act out my Middle Earth fantasies to some extent because we lived in the country for most of my formative years. I was privileged to be Gollum looking for fish under rocks, to imagine the Ithilien Rangers hidden behind a waterfall, to hide under overhanging tree roots and imagine the black rider sniffing the air and so on. Is it my faulty memory, or did someone else a while back in the thread comment on their pride in learning to walk as silently as an elf or a hobbit? Well that was me too, watching out to avoid crackling twigs as I stepped carefully along sheep tracks on the hillside through the woods. For several years, we actually lived in a suburb, and only visited the country. This made it really seem like we actually drove into Middle Earth at the weekends! All the more evocative and exciting. As I write, I can still smell the smell of damp earth and vegetation, and I have this in my mind somehow every time I re-read the books. There is so much description of weather and countryside in the books that it really triggers that memory for me.

To those of you finishing your holidays and back to school, commiserations. I have had a split holiday this year, so tomorrow we are off for a few days to stay in Norwich, in the far east of England, which is very historic and whose cathedral has definite Gondorian pretensions - all upright pillars and statues, lovely.

I'm sure there will be lots to read when I return.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 04:35
Lady Adanath and Lothian vilya,

Thanks for sharing your "finding of the rings" so to speak. I oved both reminiscenses! I can especially relate to the country one as that is where I am now and where my heart will always be, though I must admit, stealthy, I'm not! Grace and coordination wer never my shining attributes. But I still envision the shire and Middle-earth when I walk the dog, "orcipines" and all! I fell in love with the books long ago and they remain a very bright spot in my life!

frodo Lives!

Shireling
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 06:01
Wise old Bombadil, he was a wary fellow;
bright blue his jacket was, and his boots were yellow.
None ever caught old Tom in upland or in dingle,
walking the forest-paths, or by the Withywindle...

Luckily, Old Tom is not burdened with having to be stealthy:
With another hop and a bound there came into view a man, or so it seemed. At any rate he was too large and heavy for a hobbit, if not quite tall enough for one of the Big People, though he made enough noise for one, stumping along with great yellow boots on this thick legs, and charging through grass and rushes like a cow going down to drink. -- "The Old Forest", The Fellowship of the Ring
Moo!

Old Tom is looking forward to the potluck picnic in San Francisco next month. I've decided to bring Waldorf salad, something I've never made before, so I made some this evening as a trial run. If you've never had it, it's made of apples, celery, grapes, raisins, and walnuts with a dressing made of mayonnaise and whipping cream with some sugar and lemon juice. Perhaps I'll call it "Brandybuck salad" after Master Meriadoc who, at least in the movies, seems so fond of apples.

Speaking of the picnic, as part of the entertainment I’ll be reciting the first poem from “The Adventures of Tom Bombadil” which describes, among other things, Tom and Goldberry’s wedding. (I opened this post with a quote from it.) If I’m not covered with overripe fruit, rotting vegetables, and left-over Brandybuck salad at its completion I may even read the second poem, “Tom Bombadil Goes Boating”, as an encore.

Speaking of weddings, I also took my print of The Wedding of the King to an art gallery this afternoon after work to have it framed. I've had it all these months and had never opened the tube it was shipped in because I didn't want to risk it getting damaged. The print is beautiful! It's 30 in. x 22 in. "oil on canvas" and, at least from a distance, looks like an actual painting. It's also hand-signed by the artists, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt. Anyway, the River-daughter and I will be able look at it while we lie in bed.

Old Tom Bombadil lay upon his pillow
sweeter than Goldberry, quieter than the Willow,
snugger than the Badger-folk or the Barrow-dwellers;
slept like a humming-top, snored like the bellows.

:sleepy:

[Edited on 8/25/2004 by Old_Tom_Bombadil]
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 11:26
I am not the most frequent of posters but when I was scrolling through I noticed an earlier post from PLBLAIR and even though it was on the first page I have to reply to that one. You and I share the same birthday and I think you are the first person I have ever enocountered that does. Hope you had a good one.

[/i]I now return control of this thread to it's original purpose.....[i]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email