Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part II
on: September 16, 2004 06:56
OMGosh I haven't been here in a week and the thread has grown so much. Nenya we'll be opening a new one before Christmas. Welcome to all I haven't yet met. ( I gave up trying to keep track)
To the thread killer, THis one is not dead yet and you are still here. UNJINX.
Have been so busy with work and work and oh yeah work.
Joined Curves (a women's workout place) Hoping to lose a few punds and a lot of stress. Wnet in for 1 workout session and walked away smiling. How about those endorphins?
Well, I'm tired and I have been sitting here catching up for so long that there are cobwebs in my hair.
Hugs to all :hug:

And special blessings for my friends in the Hurricane/Tornado belt. :hug:
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 04:10
Well, I'm here. Very very tired, but I'm here, and me and mine came thru the storm pretty much okay. We have some shingle damage to the roof of the house, but not too bad.

We wound up with about 30mph (50km/hr) sustained winds, with gusts to around 50mph (~85km/hr). We did lose power for most of the evening, and the rest of the time it flickered and popped on and off. Sometime after midnight local, they finally seem to have gotten it on to stay.

This morning I discovered that, on the road between us and the power substation, there were some 6-8 VERY LARGE trees that had come down in the road and on the lines, so that explains the power outages.

I did not get activated by the reservation police, but we have only cordless phones at our house, and if the power goes out, we got no phones. (Didn't think about that until it was too late.) So they may have tried to reach me and couldn't. However, there were some people killed by trees falling on vehicles, along the route that I would have taken to get to the rez, so perhaps it's just as well... O_o I will call them later and see how things are down there.

There is flooding still going on everywhere, even though the clouds are starting to break now, and it isn't raining anymore. We got 6-9 inches of rain in 24 hours around the area.

All in all, we fared okay, but the tension was pretty high. Not something I'd want to have to do very often.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 04:26
Good to hear that you're OK. I saw some pictures in the news this morning, and the storm seems to have caused quite a mess in several places.

I know of a few other people who also live in the impact area, and am waiting for them to let hear of themselves.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 07:59
Eldirn

So glad you survived with little damage. What a blessing when so much else has been lost. Stay high and dry and keep on, keepin' on.

***Just finished editing my part in the next Mega Post to the FoF RP. Man, I think it is awesome. Everyone has done a great job.

I hope all of you are reading it. I haven't heard/read much feedback on it from outside the 'company'. I'm sure all the companions would like to know what the rest of you think of our little story.***

Lothien
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 08:22
Wow. I am so tired I'm about asleep sitting up. I hate to think what it was like, closer to the coast. That constant howling of the wind would get on anyone's nerves very quickly.

Just finished editing my part in the next Mega Post to the FoF RP.

Relatively new here. What and where is it? I've been playing in the Hall of Fire RPG in the Realm of Varda, but am interested in others.....
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 08:57
Eldirn, The Journey Home is what Lothien is speaking about. Right now, we have eight writers and currently are only looking for readers. So stop on by and have a look.

I'm so glad to hear you came out of the storm with only minimal damage!
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 05:24
Howdy everybody! My, it's been active here! That is really great!!
Eldirn: I'm really glad you "weathered" the storm pretty much okay! Prayers and concerns for all those in the path of destruction due to these hurricanes.:heart::heart: It's been an exceptionally wet month for you all!

Glasseth,
Brandywine and I are from the Pacific Northwest too if you include Idaho in that neck of the woods! :wave:

Rose, I'm sooo excited for you!!!:love:

Tom, ditto to you too!:love:

Have a great weekend all, newbies, no longer newbies, everyone!
Sérë, shireling
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 06:41
Just a quick note:

I hope everyone who is in the path of the hurricanes are alright. My prayers are with everyone. I can't believe the number of storms that have hit the coast. This is unheard of.

Saw the pic on the Royal Wedding, Tom. That is an awesome picture. I would like to have that at the foot of my bed. I would have sweet dreams and dream of living in Middle Earth forever.

I am soooooo jealous, Rose.:cry: You have all the luck of meeting Craig Parker. I cried when he died in TT. Take loads of pictures.

Well time for bed. I will dream of Middle Earth tonight.

Talk to you all later.:heart:
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2004 06:32
Well I went to Astronomy and had only two leturces and a test on Firday. The teacher had his notes up on blackborad so I was able to look at those. I had him look over my test and they if I had even passed it. He told me that I got a B or a high C which I am so happy. I am also looking into the study aboard class for either the year or for the semester. I think that I want the year, I have chossen to go th England. There I am study a different culture. There laws and way of life. I am really excited acout this, I have a appoint with the people on Monday. I have got to get baack to homework and get that paper writen that is do Monday, I hope that all is having a wondrful day.

[Edited on 18/9/2004 by faramirgirl]
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 05:29
Elen sila lumen omentilmo

I had I dream I stood beneath an orange sky, with my brothers and sisters standing by, and I know my salvation lies in your love.

This weary ranger of the North begs the forgiveness of this learned Council and seeks word from you, its elders, on its willingness to welcome him back. He will try to remember the wisdom of the Valar and the Council and vows to try to keep his passions in check.

He thanks NenyaGgold and Arveleg for guidance and concern during his wanderings, but as the season cools he would welcome warm partners by the fire; if you will have him.

[Edited on 19/9/2004 by RangerNorlin]
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 06:02
Hi Good Ranger

I don't know enough about your past to forgive or not to forgive. For my part, you are welcome back. Come in and take a seat. I am sure with the guidance of NenyaGold and Arveleg, you have been in good hands.

It's thanks to you we are all here. Good to see you

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 07:09
Oh, RangerNorlin! :heart:

Ú-moe edaved... (There is nothing to forgive...)

I am so very happy to see that you have returned!

*pulls up a chair for the Ranger* :love:
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 07:29
I know that I'm not new and not old but I would like to thank RangerNorlin for returning. He's has been quite missed.:love:

I, like NenyaGold and Arveleg, would like to put the Rangers feet up on a stool and fill his pipe, if he smokes. I then would pour the Ranger a minuvor. I would make RangerNorlin at home and offer any assistance I could.

It is nice to be in the presence of the Creator of Fans Over Forty.

We're Not Worthy, We're Not Worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (bows)

[Edited on 22/9/2004 by balrog]

[Edited on 30/9/2004 by balrog]
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 08:59
It's good to see so many posting back here in the thread. Welcome back Ranger Norlin. You're lead in to the thread was what hooked me so long ago.
Thanks for getting it started.
Brandywine
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 08:22
Warm greetings of return to RangerNorlin. It is with joy we greet thee. Hopefully you will be able to remain with us awhile as the world of Middle Earth settles into the peace of the Fourth Age.

The real world came slamming into my door last night! Just about 9p.m. we heard the sound of a single gun shot and within moments there came a banging on our screen door and a cry for help. A young man had been shot in the back and made his way somehow to our front porch. Thank God for my EMT training. He was conscious when the ambulance took him from here. But we had swarms of police, fire and CSI around for the next several hours. Even print and TV reporters knocking on the door. I am waiting for a return phone call from the detective to hear how the young man is doing.

May your day be full of the Grace of the Valor.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 08:31
Elen sila lumen omentilmo

I had I dream I stood beneath an orange sky, with my brothers and sisters standing by, and I know my salvation lies in your love.

This weary ranger of the North begs the forgiveness of this learned Council and seeks word from you, its elders, on its willingness to welcome him back. He will try to remember the wisdom of the Valar and the Council and vows to try to keep his passions in check.

He thanks NenyaGold and Arveleg for guidance and concern during his wanderings, but as the season cools he would welcome warm partners by the fire; if you will have him.
Come! Sit here by the fire on this rock of honor! If you care not for that Elven Miruvore, then have this ale! It was smubggled out of the Shire from the Green Dragon Inn!

I for one have not, and care not to know of the politics that has caused you to wnader the wild, but I for one understand the need to wander at times. I welcome ytou back to your thread's legacy and be of good cheer for many faces new have come to join us!

*Gives RangerNorlin the Dúnedain Ranger handshake in greeting.*

And how are the Council's prime? It was a good weekend for me, but I'm now back at work. Weekends are too short....
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 01:37
Ranger Norlin,
Welcome back and well met. I for one, am truly thankful to you for starting this wonderful thread. I have met such wonderful people and made amazing friends.

As for your wanderings, be at peace. Life is a journey with many side trips. This Hobbit is just thankful that you found your way back to us.

Nai Anar caluva tielyanna!
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2004 04:29
Mae govannen, Norlin. I bring greetings from Hir Elrond and Hir Elessar. You are welcome wherever your travels take you; Elessar has formally given you safe passage. Welcome home, mellon nin.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2004 05:11
:love: :love: Wlecome back Ranger Norlin!
Nor do I know the reasons for your wanderings,but do not fret. "Roads go ever, ever on" and it is a very wide world to travel in, in so many different ways. I am grateful you started this thread :love: and wholeheartedly wlecome you home to the fire and a good rest before it. I can even offer a cat or two for your lap if you want them! Well met and blessings of the Valar to you!:love:

Lothien_Vilya,
Oh my goodness!!! I trust you are alright? Talk about an unsettling encounter! A big thumbs up from a fellow EMT for helping the man out! Hope your world has become a little calmer and safer in the interim! Blessings!:heart:

To all others, well met and have a wonderful week! Hope this is the last of the hurricanes for the southeast for the year!

Shalom, Shireling
RangerNorlin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2004 07:28
Mae Govonnin all

Thank you for the place at the fire, the glow of your smiles warms this ranger's heart. He gladly accepts the drink and the pipe weed, my stock was low and drying out. (lighting his pipe) It is with open arms I rejoin this wonderful gathering of hearts so touched by the Saga. There are so many new faces and tales being told. I hope to get to know you all in the coming season and look forward to sharing some of my journey.

One of my treks took me to Seattle to hear H. Shore conduct the LOTR symphony; it was a sight and sound glorious to behold. I have thought of you often and thanks again to Arveleg and most of all to NenyaGold, your love and support warmed this ranger as he communed with the Valar. More later, Ranger
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 21, 2004 09:15
Welcome home oh wanderer we've missed you. I am so jealous that you got to see the LOTR symphony! I tried to get tickets when it was in London, but first showing I was too late, and second time I had prior committments and no way I could get there . I keep hoping there will be a CD issued some time. I know, I know; I have the full set of sound-tracks but I want to know what he's done to make up a symphony. One of the minor frustrations in the soundtracks is that if you listen to them without the film action, some parts end rather suddenly and I hoped that Mr Shore would have done a bit of tidying up and completing for the symphonic version.

Lothien-Vilya, what an upsetting experience for you! Fortunate that you knew what to do. Well done on keeping your cool and coping.

FoF RPGers - well I'm a bit behind now but I have been greatly enjoying your story, keep it up. I'll drop you a note in the OOC thread. Sadly the RPG in Yavanna that I'm in is showing worrying signs of impending mortality...
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 03:31
Something the Ranger said made me think of ways I've been touched by Tolkien's works:
It is with open arms I rejoin this wonderful gathering of hearts so touched by the Saga.

"...so touched by the Saga."

I think one of the ways I was most touched was how he could turn ordinary words into poetic imagery.

Such as, when Frodo tastes Miruvor for the first time, he doesn't say "Less filling. Tastes great!" Actually he doesn't say much... Tolkien says:

"He drained his cup that was filled with a fragrant draught, cool as a clear fountain, golden as a summer afternoon."

Those words take me to that clear fountain and that golden summer afternoon. And I have this deep appreciation for Miruvor that I would not have had otherwise.

I have searched the books for references to gold to use in my signature when I use my golden rose as my avatar. Here are a couple more I have come across:

Legolas describing Lothlórien:

"Not till the spring comes and the new green opens do they fall, and the boughs are laden with yellow flowers; and the floor of the wood is golden..."

I don't remember where this is from, but it makes me want to write even more creatively when I write:

"...and their shining branches dropped glowing flowers down upon the astonished hobbits, disappearing with a sweet scent just before they touched their upturned faces."

If only Tolkien knew how his words would affect us... I am honored to know that mine have affected RangerNorlin. I think it is this friendship and love that I have taken away with me from The Professor's writings. And with them I have made some of the best friends in the world! :heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 03:51
It will be wonderful to sit and listen to your stories, Ranger. In the meanwhile enjoy the warm of the welcomes, the pipeweed and the good company. :love:

Lothien: I am so glad you are ok, and that you had the presence of mind to remain calm. It must have been scary. I had a similar experience years ago, in the UK!! The house next door to mine was surrounded by police as they had a suspected felon trapped in there. When he burst from the house he was armed and shooting wildly. Thankfully no-one in the street was hurt, although several windows were shattered. He stole one of the police cars and escaped. They did eventually catch him and he went to prison for 14 years.

To everyone affected by the foul weather they are suffering in America. I hope everyone is ok and that Mother Nature desists her tantrums.

Lady A. So glad you are enjoying the FOF RP. :love:
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 03:56
P.S. Happy Hobbit Day!!! Bilbo and Frodo's birthdays! :heart:

And, Happy First Day of Autumn! :love:
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 05:08
I, too, am enjoying the RPG, and hope to see more installments soon!

And tomorrow (23 Sept) is MY birthday...
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 06:34
Well, I'm back...

In regard to my post about Tolkien's way with words, it is rare that I have come across someone who writes as well, and can take me to those places I love so dearly that Tolkien has taken me for so many years.

But we have that very talented person here on CoE. Nimloth has several fanfictions which have completely enthralled me as if they were Tolkien's own, missing for years, only just now been found.

Her latest adventure A Tale Untold explains why Legolas was chosen as one of the Nine and how he came to redeem himself.

If you are looking for a new escape into that world, I suggest you see for yourself if she is indeed worthy of my praise. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have...
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 08:42
Hello! :wave:

Been a bit busy with work. We just got new counters installed in the Meat Dept. where I work. Hard Work.

I would like to wish the Hobbits of Council of Elrond a

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :disco: :cheers:

Lothien_Vilya: I am glad you are OK. Lucky for you you had that EMT training and saved that man's life. Makes me feel proud that you can do that. I am also glad that you are alright.

Neyagold: I like your avatar. It is the most beautiful rose I have ever seen. I bow to the creator of such beauty.

Well have to go and do dishes. They never seem to get done with two people working all the time. :wave:
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 08:48
I’ve not posted in this thread for a while so I've a bit of catching up to do. Welcome to all the new members and welcome back Ranger Norlin (I’m still enjoying my Tolkien Ensemble CD, thanks for the recommendation!).

Happy Hobbit Day everyone!

Coincidentally your quote NenyaGold
and their shining branches dropped glowing flowers down upon the astonished hobbits, disappearing with a sweet scent just before they touched their upturned faces
comes from the chapter A Long Expected Party, it’s part of the description of Gandalf’s fireworks at the party.

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 08:53
Aiya morwenna! Thank you so much! That is very weird and very coincidental!

I really should have written it down when I copied it...

Party On!!! :love:
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 10:38
HAPPY HOBBIT'S DAY
Blessed be the Anniversary of the Ringbear's Birth! The Valar knew what they were doing when they allowed two such wonderful fellows to enter into MiddleEarth.

As the FoF Story 'Returning Home: The Journey' draws close to the day when Eomer will return to Minas Tirith I sought reference material to make my part of the story coincide with the words of Tolkien. I take the LotR once again in hand and begin to read the words J.R.R. wrote for us. It is amazing to me that I have forgotten so much of the detail of that section of the book. It brings me to think that were it not for this website, this Forum (FoF) and the story we are creating in Totally Tolkien I would not have the knowledge of the world of Middle Earth that I know have.

On this, a day of Middle Earth Celebration, I send out thanks to: RangerNorlin for having started this thread and for returning to us; to NenyaGold for carrying on in Norlins absence and for directing so many of us to this place, and many other Kudo's that she deserves: and to all of you for remaining here and adding your insights, tales and comradere to this thread. I am Blessed to be among you.

Thanks!
Lothien_Vilay aka Siladan

May Erú dwell for ever in our hearts and the Blessings of the Valar be always with us.
RingWearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 11:53
Hello, All! Thought I'd quit lurking and finally post! I can't say how relieved I am to find an outlet for my LOTR/Tolkien obsession. I enjoy other LOTR sites, but they just don't have the interaction I'm looking for.

I got a nice welcome from NenyaGold and Arveleg. Thanks! I'm a 43 year old married mom, and fell into Middle Earth at the age of 14. I've read The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and LOTR several times since then, and every time I read them, I find new things. (or maybe just forgot them) My family just nods sweetly while rolling their eyes (and saying behind their hands "just humor the crazy person and it'll all be okay"). They just can't understand why I NEEDED that Atlas of Middle Earth, or the talking Gollum, or the LOTR Trilogy Collector's Edition of Trivial Pursuit, or why I would watch the movies with the COMMENTARIES, or why I keep extra books in my car. What's not to understand??? Sheesh! (now they're saying OH NO NOT ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD) I'm hoping to scare them into buying me The Histories of Middle Earth and ALL of the other books for Christmas.

Anyway~ I live outside Chicago (transplanted from the Southwest) and don't know ANY fellow "ringers", as I like to call them/us, except my best friend's son, and he doesn't want to hang out with me anyway. I can't wait to get to know everyone here!
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 03:51
Aiya, Ringwearer! So glad you found us!!!
OH NO NOT ANOTHER MESSAGE BOARD

You are on another message board??? But, there are no other message boards better than this one!!! lol

I hope you have a great time here! :love:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 05:38
A merry welcome to RingWearer. So glad you've decided to join us! :wave:

And a happy birthday to Bilbo and Frodo Baggins!

The River-daughter and I are very much looking forward to celebrating their birthday on Saturday with many other fans of Tolkien's works with a potluck picnic in San Francisco. I'll be reading "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil", and may even sing "The Stone Troll" (Troll sat alone on his seat of stone, And munched and mumbled a bare old bone...) if anyone is willing to listen.

The little water lady and I will be a-shoppin' tomorrow night for the vittles that we'll be a-takin' to the picnic. Remind me to buy some chocolate!
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 06:49
Welcome, Ringwearer.

Just outside Chicago, eye? I think we are neighbor's! Almost. I'm downstate in Peoria! Meet ya half way, book in hand to chat about LOTR.

Anyone else want to join? We can start the Illinois chapter of Tolkien Fans. :cheers:
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 11:04
:wave: Mae Govannen RingWearer. Nice to see you.

Helloooo Tom, lucky you off on a picnic. I am sure, if I close my eyes and listen carefully enough, I will pick up your voice as you sing 'The Stone Troll'.

A belated Happy Hobbit Day to everyone and a belated birthday wish to Frodo and Bilbo. With an extra cuddle for Frodo. :love: *slaps her wrist ~ behave woman* Lol.

Hope everyone is feeling tickety boo. :love: Enjoy whatever you are doing.

[font=papyrus][size=2]'No vaidech gelin a melthin'[/size][/font]
(May your paths be green and golden)

Rose
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email