Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part II
on: August 27, 2004 05:41
Just popping in to say howdy and well met to one and all.

Tom, that is a GREAT picture! don't think I've ever seen it before, but I really like the portrayal of the characters in it! Enjoy, and thanks for sharing it!

Sérë, Shireling
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2004 05:45
Hello every one. How is every one doing? I have in summer school until Aug. 6th and I have done petty good. I got a B in Hum. and a C in math which is not my strong point The fall semester started Aug. 24th. I have some really heavy reading class. I am a Jr. and MSU in Murray,Ky. I am going into the field of crim just/soc, I have lived thro the emotional and the psyical side of abuse so what i want to is became a victim advocate and help the abuse women and childreen of the world.

[Edited on 8/30/2004 by Diva]

[Edited on 31/8/2004 by faramirgirl]
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2004 05:44
Hello one and all,
I see this thread gets fewer new than it used to. Haye everyone, come back.
I miss being here. Life has sure been hectic lately. With school starting and a classroom full of eager young minds to fill and evil state standards to digest things have been busy. I finally got home early enough to mow the lawn myself tonite instead of turning the duty over to my son. I like to mow. I was also able to clean the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom, and dust everywhere. It was very pleasant. You don't hear that often these days, but I really do take pride in my home when it's clean.
The day is winding down and there are still many things I would like to do. Unfortunately I also want to be awake for my students tomorrow so this little FoF is going night-night.
See you in the threads!
Love to all:heart:
Brandywine
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2004 07:59
Greetings one and all! :wave:

So many school teachers here! It's encouraging to know that our younglings have such fine people learning them their letters.

My wife's mother was a school teacher (my mother-in-law passed away six years ago), and three of my wife's mother's sisters are school teachers. One of her mother's brothers is married to a school teacher. Isn't that something? My wife's mother, 3 aunts related by blood and 1 by marriage all school teachers!

Seeing Brandywine's post reminds me...

Old Tom, the River-daughter, and Old Tom's brother went wine tasting in Amador County on Saturday. (Napa is so very touristy, so Amador seemed like a nice place to go and off the beaten path.) My brother is pretty knowledgeable about wines, but this was a first for my wife and me. It was fun and educational. They didn't have any of the old Winyards left, but the Zinfandel was pretty good.

Cheers, everyone!
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 01:12
Hello everybody. :wave:

On our FoF thread is it just me or does there seem a slowing down, I mean a pleasant slowing down, like we have found our metre.

People are getting back to their routine, which is no bad thing.

Brandywide: I agree that housework can be enjoyed sometimes, if that's how you meant it. It's satisfying to see everything neat, tidy and shiny. I love to have the windows open, the house to myself, some music on and my cats for company, then I can throw myself into my chores. :love:

Old Tom: I have a teacher in my background too. My Great Aunt was Head Teacher of Beith Academy in Scotland. I think Mum and Dad hoped I might follow in her footsteps. But I went into office work instead, becoming a Secretary. Btw your wine tasting sounded great.

I always mean to post here more regularly, but life gets in the way.

Take care everyone. :hug:

[Edited on 31/8/2004 by Rosearialelven]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 06:40
Old Tom: You talked about teachers. I never in a million years would I have thought of being a teacher. But has it turned out when I went to college, I could pay for my tuition so the owner of the business told me to work for him for three months and I ended up teaching Manual Accounting, timed the secretary students, and taught computers. I also learned how to repair computers.

So there you have it. I now repair computers, learn new computer programs and still partially teach people how to run their coputers.

I would give anything to change jobs right now. I work in a deli at Safeway. I would love to work as a Secretary again. I enjoyed that kind of work. I might open my own business in accounting. Running a bookkeeping business. I enjoy that very much.

So right now I have to get ready for work.

TTFN.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 09:08
Wow! I'm feeling like Rip Van Winkle here, having been gone for months and I come back to a wjhole new thread. I think it was around 400 posts on the old one when I was last here.

How is everyone over forty!

Oh yeah.. since I saw some good old songs on the first page.. thought I'd contribute a bit as to whty I haven't been around...

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone - somebody must change
You are the reason I've been waiting so long - somebody holds the key
Well, I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home

Come down on your own and leave your body alone - somebody must change
You are the reason I've been waiting all these years - somebody holds the key
Well, I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home

[Edited on 8/31/2004 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 02:45
Steve Winwood! One of my all-time favorite rock & rollers!!! His voice is awesome!!! Thank you for the memory, Arveleg. It is amazing where those old songs take me! :heart:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 03:59
Aiya! It's been awhile since I've posted here although I do pop in and read what's online almost every day. Time just seems to get away from me.

The school year has been in swing for about a week and a half. Good kids, one major allergic reaction to poison ivy that sent a student to the emergency room. Now THAT was scary. He came out all right though, so no worries there.

I've been seeming to run about like a chicken with my head cut off trying to do everything I need to do and want to do, but not necessairly in that order. But all in all life is pretty darn good.

Blessings of the Valar to all of you, dear FoF!:love:
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2004 04:58
I'm not a teacher, just a lowly admin type at a local Police Department. Has been relatively quiet for the summer but business is picking up since the kiddies have returned. (This is a college town.) I've been struggling with a bad back since May and have been to a lot of doctors and basically what I'm getting out of all the stuff they've said to me is it will either get better or it won't, with or without surgery. This is what they charge the big bucks for? Oh well. The time I couldn't spend in the garden I spent with books so it's not altogether a bad thing, I guess.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 08:10
well you should get some good meds out of the deal anyway Celebrain! (spoken like a true blue 70's hippie freak)

They had a trilogy showing of the movies at the Mural amphitheatre in Seattle last week!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Kwanli
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 10:40
Hello all. Another Newbie directed to the over 40's club!
I've just spent the last hour reading all your messages. I haven't got a song to sing I'm so long in the tooth I can't even remember my favorite song any more
Just for the record I'm 69 years young. I tell my doctor I'm too young to be old yet!! I live in oneof the remaining old forested areas in the UK...the Royal forest of Dean...on the English/Welsh border. Abeautiful place to live no matter what time of year, I think i love it best in the Autumn. An ideal place for Sindarin elves to live.
I read The Hobbit many years ago and then forgot about it. I rediscovered the books about two years before the films came out. I read the FotR first. Wondered how it had all started so then read the Silmarillion. Found it confusing and kept forgetting who was who and what happened when
So moved on to the Two Towers and RotK. Things started to fall into place, but thought I ought to re-read the Sil. In the mean time I got hold of the tapes of Martin Shaw reading it....Sooooo good. I take it in the car with me on long journeys.
I've also read many of the other books about Tolkeins work. At present am reading the trilogy again. I never get tired of the stories.
I enjoyed your postings. Bye for now headteacher ...retired
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 12:32
Kwanli: Welcome to the FoF thread. You won't find another better group of people.

My goal this summer was to read the Silmarillion. Oops, didn't make it because I didn't really have a summer. Myth: teachers have the summer off. Hopefully in the dead of the cold Nebraska winter I'll get it read. Someday. Of course, I bought the Unfinished Tales and The Book of Lost Tales that I want to get through. I've been 'reading' FotR on tape as I commute to school. Got to get the Tolkien fix in any delivery system available.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 01:32
Hi Kwanli. Finally, someone who is older than me. I was beginning to think I might be the oldest on CoE. I am 58.

I am from the UK. Manchester. What a lovely part of the British Isles you live in. :love:

Glad you found the FoF. It's a great place to be. :heart:
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 02:34
Aiya Kwanli! I'm so glad you found us here. Ah, yes, and you have stolen Rose's bragging rights! But like the rest of us, you are too young to be old!!! :love: I hope you enjoy it here and don't be shy ~ we were all newbies at one time!
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2004 01:08
You are right NenyaGold *grins*. I pass the banner on. Yay!!! I one of the younger set. Wheeee!!!

I have to agree with you Kwanli about the Silmarillion. I found it hard going. Too much detail, for my brain.

Again, it's lovely to meet you. :love:
Kwanli
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2004 03:01
Hi I'm back, thanks to Rosearielelven
..Rose.. Rous also emailed and asked for directions to the site, she didn't know about you. so told her to go to the sign of The Prancing Pony.
Soct56 I know about the myth. i have spent years trying to convince friends that I worked at home on projects for the new term/year. That i actually spent timein school the week after the children had gone on holiday and spent most of the last week in my classroom or office. That all seems a long time ago and i now enjoy my retirement with my dogs or keeping a very large garden tidy.
If I feel like reading and can't put the book down then I can do it!:evil:
I don't and never have liked 'cold' and we have just had a wet, wet, wet summer....Plenty of time to read.
Rosea. Thanks for your directions. I have been very lucky to have lived in the country, with a view. I look from the front of my cottage across hills to the Sugar Loaf Mountain, in Wales and the range of the Brecon Beacons. The F.o.Dean is beautiful in all the seasons. I live just on the northern edge, but everywhere I travel it takes me thro' the forest. I love the trees. It would have made a great Fangorn.
NenyaGold. At least I've made someone you know happy today. My problem is that I'm always told that i look 25 yrs younger than I am, so I get little sympathy for my aches and pains. I hold doors open for people I'm sure are younger than me!!
The one thing I can say that it doesn't matter how old you are, your never too old or young to enjoy LotR's.
When I have finished RotK I am going to finish reading the Unfinished Tales. I stopped at the end of Part 2.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2004 07:06
Hi everyone. Have I got something to tell you!!!!!!!

I work at a Safeway store in the middle of nowhere, Central Manitoba, Canada. Anyways, I was working at the Meat Dept. and this nice looking young man came up to me and in this voice said, "Do you sell lamb chops?" It wasn't until I said "Yes" that I realized he comes from New Zealand. The accent drove me almost nuts. I'm a big sucker for anyone with an accent. When he noticed the lamb chops were from New Zealand, he said that they come from the best land in the world. I thought to myself that 'yes they do'.

When he spoke with his accent, LOTR movies went through my head. Imagine that.

With that said it gave me the biggest lift of my day and I was in a great mood. :disco: I could go on and on but I won't. I still can't believe that in the middle of nowhere....... :cheers: :rolling:

That's the best thing that has happened to me all week.

I thought I would tell of my news. I couldn't keep this to myself.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2004 04:16
Yay, Balrog!

Couldn't be happier that your week had such a bright spot in it!:love::love: Maybe he'll come back for more chops and you can find out a little more about him and/or New Zealand.:love:

I'll bet he would never guess his trip, journey, move, whatever to Canada could make a total stranger's day! Amazing how that works! (Besides anybody who likes lamb chops, can't be all bad!)

Ah, yes, reading(sigh). Kinda funny, but it always seemed odd that teachers who teach reading, have so little time to do any reading. Read the Simarilion last year, and want to read it again, hoping it will fall into place better this time. Would like to use the reading guides from this site to go through it next time. It looks like a great tool for helping this old geeser, geyser, geiser (?) understand.

But I really want to read a bio of Tolkein, and some of his other works too. Some of those Tom Bombadil has mentioned sound intriguing, for sure. Alas, the priority list has shifted somewhat again with the coming of the autumn. Well, someday, I hope!

Good Fall to one and all! Welcome and well met, all who are new here, and to all who reside at least momentarily in 'this' Middle-earth!

:heart::heart::heart:
Shireling
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2004 09:01
But are we not forever young in these lands of Middle Earth we visit? Welcome Kwanli!

On reading the Silmarillion, its a question of how one approaches it. If you're looking for a flowing story like Lord of the Rings, you will be frustrated. If you look at it as a historical reference book with stories, then it works better in reading. There are parts of the Silmarillion I have read exzctly once, and others I've read time and again.

Good to see all the 40+'rz this day! Any word on Ranger Norlin?
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 04, 2004 11:22
Aye, Arveleg! Any time I read The Hobbit or The Trilogy, I return to that age when I first read it... Although at times I think I never actually left that age!

As for the Sil, I too have never finished it. I've been on page 83 for over a year now! But then, I never really liked history and have learned more from being in my realm and writing in Dark Wings. Yet one of my friends keeps insisting that I should read it. I'd much rather write!!! :love:

Regarding RangerNorlin, I hear from him occasionally, either via PM or e-mail and he is doing well. I do hope he stops in occasionally to see how his thread is keeping us together. It really is a special island in this sea, isn't it? :heart:
LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 04, 2004 11:44
Hi everyone!
Welcome Kwanli, from another UK resident. I'm in the middle, north-east of Birmingham in the Warwickshire/Staffordshire/Derbyshire/Leicestershire border area. It's not as pretty as the Forest of Dean but there are some good spots nearby.

We visited one of them today - Packington Hall in Warwickshire. Kwanli mentioned that we have had a cold, wet August. Today the weather seemed to be trying to make amends, the weekend before most of the schools go back. It was glorious. Imagine Tudor twisted chimneys, warm rosy brick, manicured lawns and madly overflowing herbaceous borders. The special feature of the place (it's owned by the National Trust, who open it to the public) is its extraordinary topiary garden. It's supposed to represent the Sermon on the Mount, with "The Master" represented by a yew tree planted in the 17th century at the top of an artificial mound. A spiral of box hedge at chest height surrounds this. Then over a sloping lawn, there are "evangelists" and "the People" denoted by huge 12 foot high yews all beautifully clipped. We (and other families) had a great time playing hide and seek around these trees, which are big and dense enough to vanish behind. Sadly my digicam was playing up so I have no pics to show you of the topiary . The interior was interesting. It is a genuinely 400-yr-old house, but the decor, which suits it splendidly, is actually a 19th century recreation. Very lovely, and I coveted the floors which were wide oak planks. Not the carved oak beds though, which seemed to have been designed for hobbits!

By the way, I have just bought (nd read) "Tales from the Perilous Land" which holds "Farmer Giles of Ham", "Smith of Wooton Major" and "Leaf by Niggle". Anyone else read these? Different altogether from LOTR etc, although "Smith" is in its style close to "The Hobbit". Anyway, I read and loved these stories as a child, and it was a pleasure to find them again. I also have a copy of "Tree and Leaf" which pairs "Leaf by Niggle" with an essay On Fairy Stories and the poem "Mythpoeia" which I quote in my sig. I now think they should have published the fairy stories essay with the 3 Tales from the Perilous Land, as "Farmer Giles" and "Smith" are more classically fairy (or Faery, for that is the "Perilous Land") stories.
These stories relate to LOTR in the same way that a mummers play of St George and the Dragon relates to Beowulf, or a folk dance relates to a ball. The relationship is there but the level is completely different. I really enjoy the way that old JRRT, with his superb saga of LOTR and the historical/mythological construction of the Silmarillion, could also turn out such beautifully crafted, gently humourous tales. Oh, and they're a lot easier to read than the Sil!

I'm sorry, this has turned into an essay. It's all this talk of end of school hols....
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2004 11:56
Yes Nenya, I am that Ranger in the wild!

Did I mention that I pays to skip the AINULINDALË & VALAQUENTA until later? Anyway, I find Unfinished Tales more interesting as the stories there have more bearing on the Lord of the Rings.

And I'd love to go check out those aged places over there.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2004 01:15
Hello, everybody! :wave:

By the way, I have just bought (nd read) "Tales from the Perilous Land" which holds "Farmer Giles of Ham", "Smith of Wooton Major" and "Leaf by Niggle". Anyone else read these?
Yes, these stories are included in The Tolkien Reader, which also includes a set of poems that are collectively called "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil", although that is properly only the name of the first poem, the second being "Tom Bombadil Goes Boating". The remaining poems have nothing to do with Tom Bombadil at all. "Farmer Giles of Ham" is a wonderful tale, by the way. You all should read it when you have the opportunity.

The Royal Forest of Dean sounds like a wonderful place. How I should like to visit it! I've been a suburbanite virtually all my life, but I wish I could live near the woods. Fortunately, I'm only a two hour drive from Muir Woods. It's been about 5 years since I last visited. I think I'm due for another trip.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2004 03:10
Well, you English girls are making my so jealous! The only place in the world I want to go is to all your places. The only place I can't get to is England. Time and money just don't allow. But hang on girls I'll pop in on you as soon as I can. Then all of you can show me 'Your England'. I don't want to tour guide version, I want the 'real' deal.

Humidity is horrid here, but have had a most wonderful day journing my own countryside with four wonderful, bright young men. We had an adventure and went 140 miles from home and who did I run into? My sister. Then we crossed the Mighty Muddy Mississippi into Iowa for a couple hours and now am back home an just sweating without the air on.

Hope all are well. Blessings on your houses.

Lothien_Vilya
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2004 11:29
I lived for a time in Ringwood in the New Forest District. It was long ago now but I like to think that it hasn't changed too much. I loved seeing the "wild" ponies who were amazingly intelligent and crafty. They could take the lids off rubbish bins and shake bread crusts and such from rolled up paper bags. I like to think the area remains as it was. If not, please don't tell me!
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 06:25
I haven't been here in a week and we have gone from the middle of page 3 to the middle of page 4. Wow. I am very happy to make aquaintance of the newbies. You won't be new for long. This is the best place in the world. So many friends, so little time.
To Kwanli: I didn't get to your section of the UK when I visited nor to Rose's but you make it sound so lovely. You can't do the UK in 13 days and that was all I had. I'll be back.
Lady Adanath: I did get to your area and if there are many places prettier than Warwickshire then I can't wait to go back. I loved Warwickshire, especially the town of Warwick. It's so small for such a big place. It's very homey. Everyone there was so nice and the people at the information center there were the nicest of any. Loved it! Only one place I went that I thought competed and that was the north, in York and on up toward Alnwick and Scotland. That was gorgeous!
Celebrian: Please never think of yourself as a "lowly" anything. My 18 year old daughter is now at college in a "college town" and I truly hope that those who serve the public like you are watchful and careful of those silly idiotic "kiddies". I hope there are others watching out for her when I am far away. Thanks for doing the job you do!

I have developed a new and rather absurd hobby. I collect vanity license plate sayings. My list is 4 pages (2 columns) wide.
Anybody want to time themselves and solve a few?
Here they are: CALQL8R, JUSTKIDN, HERBRM, HELVSME, WRZDSNO, IFLOSM, and here's a toughy FORMYYF.
I have loads. It's such a funny hobby. Problem is if I see too many at once I have to pull over to write before I forget. Keeps my eyes on the road though and on the cars in front of me. I do have some personal favorites but they are not hard to figure out. D COKE, (that's my drink of choice); SHY (yeah right!) it was on a little balck sports car with two seats; and GOTZDEBT also on a little black sports car.
Have fun and keep your eyes open.
Blessings of the Valar
Brandywine
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 06:37
Hello I thught that I would dorp by and said hi, School as been keeping me busy and looking for another job. Every one have a wondrful day.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 04:28
May the job search be fruitful Faramirgirl! Thanks for stopping by!

Brandywine! pleased to meet you! On the vanity plates, here by work there is a fair young lady who drives a powder blue 1974 Dodge Challenger with the plate of Arwns74.

Happy wednesday! I am just off of five days away from work. They days go too fast! How is everyone?

balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 05:31
Just thought I would stop by and see how people are doing.

Lothien: You want to talk weather! Where I am from we are lucky to have that weather. It's been weird here, Manitoba Canada. In the last three weeks we were lucky to have 4 days of nice weather. We've either been cloudy or rainy.

Where I work at Safeway, I will be taking over the charity challenge. This is a fund-raising thing we have with stores in Canada. Don't know about the states. I'm ready to take it by the horns and do something with it this year. We didn't do much of this last year. I hope to do much more this year. Got a few projects under my sleeve. I know they will work out.

I hope everyone had a good summer. I know I did. Except for the weather, it was great.

Well have to go to work. See you all later.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 01:37
:disco: I got them!! The vanity plates I mean. I never get those. Maybe it's because I'm so darn tired that my brain is thinking in an alternate universe.

:wave: Greetings to all the newbies here, and the oldbies as well. Hope you have a good rest of the week. Looking forward to the weekend. Only about 30 more weeks of school.
faramirgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 06:26
May the job search be fruitful Faramirgirl! Thanks for stopping by!

Brandywine! pleased to meet you! On the vanity plates, here by work there is a fair young lady who drives a powder blue 1974 Dodge Challenger with the plate of Arwns74.

Happy wednesday! I am just off of five days away from work. They days go too fast! How is everyone?

Well thank you. I do hope so myself. I am doing fine. Classes are going well expect for "Geology" I don't I am ever going to learn them rocks. I hope that your Wedensday is going well also
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 07:21
For Faramirgirl:

Try thinking of the rocks as jewels and gems to be created by elves and worn by you. Maybe that will make them a little more pleasant. I loved Geology in college.I even have a rock collection. The hardest thing to learn is the epochs and eras and so forth. Nothing beats a pretty rock! My favorite is rainbow sandstone.

Have fun!
Brandywine
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2004 08:45
Mae govannen!

Hallelujah, I found the mature fans! I'll be 44 myself in exactly 2 weeks, and I was getting a bit sick of the drooling over young boys Orlando Bloom and Elijah Wood. Give me Hugo Weaving any day.... :love:
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 09, 2004 08:52
Welcome Eldirn! So happy you found us!
Give me Hugo Weaving any day....

Or Viggo??? Or Sean??? (Bean, of course...)
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email