Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Remnants or The Assault on the Trade Route (Please see ooc to join)
on: July 18, 2005 04:29
Eomer let out a chuckle. "Oh, come now, Tasar. Surely you can do better than that! The last time he was here, Legolas put Gimli the Dwarf to shame! But perhaps not all elves have such a strong constitution."

He was probably going to aggitate her, but it was all in good fun.

A beautiful array of foods was set before them. Fine breads, cheeses, three kinds of honey, some good hot stew, pheasants and grouse, and boar, all favorites of the men of the Mark.

But Eomer's heart was burdened, even with his jesting. It was more to cover the fact that he was deeply hurt and insulted at the insolence of his own men.
"If I may ask, Garulf, what is the number of our men?"
Garulf looked at his lord, a slight nervousness emminent in his eyes, "I counted this morning, and we are almost to six-hundred. The battles of the past have certainly taken a toll on the amount of men."
"Aye, that they have."
Another captain, who had obviously had more than his share of ale for the night, spoke with slirred speech, "But then maybe we could get some more of our women to join our numbers!" He laughed coursly, but by himself.
Eomer saw Terry's anger rise in her face, but he gave her a look to say,"Let me handle this."

"What mean you by that?!" his anger was barely held back. He knew what he meant. He meant to insult Terry, in his own house! He could not allow the woman he loved be subjected to this.
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Remnants or The Assault on the Trade Route (Please see ooc to join)
on: July 22, 2005 12:36
A blush rose in Tasar's cheeks at Eomer's notice. "It is not that it is too strong, sir, it is just that I am used to wine as opposed to... this." She motioned towards the tankard with a slight smile.

Terry leaned over to whisper, "Yes, but I do not have much to say for your elvish wine."

Tasar glared silently in Terry's direction, but her attention was redirected by the arrival of food. She smiled broadly. "Your drink may not be fair, Terry, but the food is most excellent."

Terry laughed at this, her expression suddenly turning sullen at hearing the upset in Eomer's tone. She turned to console him, catching the words of the not-so-sober captain.

"But then maybe we should get some more of our women to join our numbers!"

Terry's cheeks began to grow warm and dark and a fire rose in her eyes. With a glance from Eomer, she kept her mouth shut, allowing her eyes to shoot daggers at the insolent man instead.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 04:16
The captain stumbled to his feet, and Eomer stood with him. "I only meant, milord, that there s-seem to be more
w-women in our army than men! Three of w-which are sitting at this very table!"

Eomer's hand went to his sword hilt, his eyes burning with outrage. "How dare you insult not only guests at my table, but also the Lady Eowyn as well!! I'll have your head for this insolence!"

He tried to go over to him, but the Garulf blocked his way. "Please, my lord, he is a drunk. Do not kill this man for his idiodical, drunken babblings. I'll just take him out, and let him sleep it off in the stables."

Eomer's anger seemed to seeth, but he was no less resolute. "No, the horses are too good for him. Let him sleep with the swine! Let him sleep with his own kind."
"As you bid, my lord. Come on, fool!"
"And tell him when he wakes that him and his men may leave, if they wish. If this is what they offer, ridicule, and mockery of their King, then I won't have them at all."
Garulf left, with the stumbling Heorot beside him, singing a tune in his intoxicated state.

Eomer sat back down, his eyes refusing to meet his other guests. "I'm sorry." He mumbled.
"Nay, lord. T'was his own fault. Insolent fool." Hasugar spoke.
"Have pity for him. He's lost brothers at Pelennor fields. I don't think he's ever been the same since." Eomer replied.

Indeed, none of us have. he thought.

A slight pang of resentment for his words and deeds stung his heart. Overindulged as Heorot had been, he probably didn't mean what he said, but he pushed the thoughts away.
His eyes finally met Terry's, but he couldn't hold it for long. He hoped he had not embarressed her, or that he didn't defend her as much as he should. He would have killed that man on the spot, had Garulf not held him back.

[Edited on 7/27/2005 by Silivrentolwen]
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 09:26
"Have pity for him. He's lost brothers at Pelennor Field. I don't think he's ever been the same since."

Upon hearing this, Terry frowned slightly. Knowing this, she thought now that Eomer had overreacted a bit. She turned to Tasar, who seemed to share her sentiment, and sighed slightly. She tried to remain in her seat, biting her bottom lip, but it seemed that a plague of the fidgets had overtaken her and she could not sit still. After a moment she stood and, muttering her apologies, nearly fled the hall to walk through the corridors and outside.

Tasar frowned after her friend, but did not follow. She instead turned to Eomer to see what his reaction was and, if and when he glanced at her, to give him a subtle nod to try to tell him to go after her.

Terry walked out onto the steps of the Golden Hall, wrapping her arms around herself in the chilly night breeze, her hair flying about her face as she took deep breaths to calm herself.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 06:49
A slight shock was clear on Eomer's face. He looked at Tasar for something, anything to tell him what the woman he loved was feeling. Her nod told him he'd best go after her.

"Well, friends," he said, "since the meal is over, I shall retire, but stay as long as you like."
With a bow, he left the Hall, and went to find Terry.

It wasn't long before he saw her feminine sillhouette contrasting the night sky. Slowly, and quietly, he made his way to her. He didn't touch her, but chose just to stay behind her.

"I was to harsh, wasn't I."
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 12:19
Terry, having heard his footsteps approaching, had prepared herself for questioning as to her reasons for leaving the hall, but had not been prepared for his soft-spoken inquiry. She sighed softly.

"Yes, you were." She did not turn to him, speaking in a quiet, yet slightly reprimanding tone. "Pelennor Fields left a toll on all of us, Eomer, you most of all should know that. I had no knowledge of his loss, but I am sure you did, and you should not have been so hard on the man. I admit that his comment was thoughtless, but the ale was flowing freely this meal and many did thoughtless things." Her hair whipped about her face in a particularly violent spurt of wind and shivered slightly in the chill.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2005 05:07
Eomer looked at her back, thinking that maybe it would be easier if he didn't have to look into her eyes.

"It's to late to take it back, but, in the morning I'll have a word with him, and if he still wishes to leave, I'll let him. No service at all is better than that which is give unwillingly."

He moved closer to her, putting his arms around her shoulders, his chin resting on the back of her head. "I'm sorry, love."
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 12:32
Terry sighed in resignation and allowed him to pull her into his embrace, settling back into his warmth from the chill breeze. "You are forgiven." There is a slight smile in her voice that disrupts the severity of the previous discussion.

Tasar stood as dinner began to disolve into conversations around her that she did not wish to join into, walking out into the hallway. Deciding not to go outside, as Terry and Eomer were still out there, she began to wander the halls with no sure destination or reason.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2005 02:00
Eomer smiled. "I'll make it up to them. All of them. I promise. I've been of such a fowl temper of late." Gently, he turned Terry around to him.

"I'm off to bed. Goodnight, my lady." He brought her hand to his lips and gave a parting smile, before going inside.

Hasugar lingered in the hall, waiting for the other guests to leave. He knew that the King was probably going to turn in soon, so he'd stay in the hall until the fires burned down.
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2005 04:37
Terry smiled as she watched Eomer walk away, then turned back to watch her beloved fields. Her eyes drifted away to the east, where she knew her parents were curled up in their bed, waiting for daylight to come and the work to start. She sighed and bit her bottom lip. Perhaps it was time to give her family a visit, before she rode off to battle. Looking up at the sky, she thought of turning in to bed, but knowing that she would not easily fall asleep this night, she remained outside for a while, watching the stars twinkle above the endless fields.

Tasar turned around a corner and spotted a familiar figure down the hall. Smiling softly, she walked towards Hasugar. "Greetings, my lord," she called softly to him in her deep register.

[Edited on 8/4/2005 by harmada1legolasluva]
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2005 04:42
Surprise was in Hasugar's face. He thought he was well hidden in the shadows. He hadn't been there long, but didn't wish to be seen anymore tonight. But it seemed that Tasar wouldn't let him go unnoticed.

"And to you, Lady Tasar. Is the ale still not agreeing with you?"

He smiled at her, letting her know he was only jesting.

[Edited on 8/5/2005 by Silivrentolwen]
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 02:41
Tasar gave a wry smile, then a very playful pout. "I am afraid so. It seems that I will have no rest this night."

Glancing over at him, she then took on a more serious demeanor. "It is a cold evening," she stated plainly, not at all referring to the temperature. "Many tempers are risen. The warriors grow anxious at the brink of battle, yet you can see it in their eyes that they long for it." She stared blankly at the wall for a moment, lost in her thoughts. "They long for meaning and glory, and so many will only find this in death." She blinked and smiled again, a bit embarrassed. "I am sorry, my lord, to bore you with my depressing thoughts. I will leave you to your own. Hopefully they will give you better feelings than mine own." She turned away from him and began to walk down the hall in the opposite direction, the way she had come.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2005 07:59
Hasugar watched as the elven maiden dissapeared into the hall. Her insight was indeed well put.

She's right. But will they seek glory, or rebel against their king?

He let out a heavy sigh. Dimly below, he could make out the fenced inclosure where the hogs were kept. A small shed where hay was kept was where Heorot was sleeping, and snoring. He was surprised Garulf could even get him that far.

After his quick breath of air, he returned to the Hall. The other guests had retired as well, leaving the cooks to clean up their mess. They were just about finished when he came in. They looked up, then continued to do their duties.

The fires were burning down quickly. The cauldrons were almost out, but the fire in the middle of the room was still burning bright. Tonight, it was his duty to watch the hall. Though it was not uncommon for him to do night watches, he hadn't done it in years, not since he was younger. But he didn't think it would be a problem.

He sat down, and waited. Midnight came and went, until he finally couldn't stay awake any longer. Without realizing, he drifted off to sleep.

A loud noise awoke him. Instantly he was alert. What was that?
"Who goes there??!! Show yourself?!"
Then he realized, the noise was outside. Was that wolves howling? He paused, and listened again. His heart pounded in his chest, so loud, he thought he could hear it echoing in the hall. He held his breath.
There it was again. It was howling. The howling of many wolves, outside.

He ran to the door and opened it. Outside, he could see the moonlit plains, and on them, gathering around the hill, were many black forms of four-legged creatures. Closer they came to the gate.

Quickly, Hasugar moved to the nearby alarm bell and rang it with all his might. He called at the top of his lungs.

Awake!! Awake, Eorlingas! The Enemy strikes!! Awake! Awake!
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2005 09:50
Terry shrieked, jumped up, and fell sideways out of bed as the sounds of the alarm bell and a heavy rapping at her door woke her up. "Ow!" She rubbed her head where it had hit her bedside table and called out, "Come in!"

Tasar entered, her double-bladed sword strapped to her back alongside her quiver, bow in hand. "Come along, Terry. We must hasten!"

Terry stood and yawned, still rubbing her head. "What is going on?"

Tasar's eyes were wide and sparkling. "We are being attacked!"

Terry walked over to her bureau and pulled out a pair of trousers, pulling them on over her long night-shirt and tucking said shirt in, grabbing a piece of leather twine and tying her hair up into a messy ponytail. In moments, her belt with her daggers and sword was at her waist and her boots were slid onto her feet. She glanced over at her friend with a raised eyebrow, taking in how orderly she looked in her leggings, precisely laced bodice and boots, and the neatness of her hair. "And how is it that you are so cleanly ready?"

Tasar shrugged. "You know I do not sleep. Now come along!"

The two raced out into the hall admist half-dressed warriors in various states of confusion and into the entrance hall, out onto the front steps. Tasar whistled at the sight of the massive group of wolves approaching and turned to Terry. "I will go to the wall, to use my bow. You stay here."

Terry shook her head and opened her mouth to speak, but Tasar stopped her. "Maintain order here. You are best for the job." She nodded at that and watched as her friend jogged off to the gates, long hair swinging from side to side with her movements.

Terry turned to the groups of warriors. "Be prepared to fight!" She called out. She then looked around. "Has anyone seen Lord Eomer?"
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 06:11
Not sleeping has it's advantages. This Eomer found out. He heard the alarm bell and swiftly put on a lighter armour that his usual plate-steel and scale mail.

As quick as lightning, he grabbed his shortbow and quiver and headed for the wall. His feet were swift with the rush of adrenaline through his veins.

Hasugar saw him as he ran to the wall. He followed him, not wanting anything to happen to his lord.

At the top of the wall, Eomer could see the dark shapes of the Wargs, circling about and baying and howling, the dark menaces of the plains. It seemed to him that they were cloaked in shadow, for the moon and stars were faint, and could hardly be seen. Quickly, Eomer gave commands.

"Set fires! Light your arrows and fire!"

The watchmen quicly did so, lighting the pitch and cocking fiery arrows in their strings.

"Fire! Fire!"

A rain of fiery missiles fell upon the beasts below. Many fell with harsh cries of pain. Yet upon the plain, there was no light. The lit arrows showed no shape of living thing, just the sillhouetes the creatures.

"Fire at will!"

Again, arrows rained down upon them. They howled and ran to and fro, trying to escape the onslaught. Eomer drew his own bow and fired shots, one of which fell on a wolf at the head of the party. It seemed to him that he was yelling at the others in their cruel language. He fell with a shriek.
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 12:33
Tasar fired with the rest, each arrow hitting its selected target. Sparring a glance back at the Golden Hall, where she new Terry to still be standing, she felt a bit sorry for the fact that it seemed as though her friend would do no fighting this night.

Turning back around, Tasar continued adding to the mighty rain of death upon the Wargs below.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 06:08
Eomer strained to see what was going on down below. It was no use, the darkness was to great.

"Hold!" He put up his arm to stop the volley. The wolves seemed to be surrendering. Two large ones dragged the body of their fallen leader away. The rest stood giving final snarls and growls until finally, they left without a sound.

Eomer's chest fell with relief. "Is everyone all right?"

A few answered 'yes' but others were talking amongst themselves. "What was that?" seemed to be the predominate question.

His eyes caught sight of Tasar. "Tasar! Where is Terry?"
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2005 06:42
Tasar turned to Eomer at his call, a few strands of her hair falling across her forehead. She brushed them away. "She is up at the Hall, my lord." She grinned. "You had best go to her. I doubt she will be very happy, having missed out on all the fun."

Terry paced back and forth in front of the doors, shaking her hands nervously, waiting for any sign of further battle. Looking up at the gates once more, she noted that the excitement seemed to have ended. She frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. Perhaps she really should take archery lessons from Tasar. She and Harma had been trying to persuade her to do so for years; maybe it really would benefit her. She sighed and popped her twin knives from her belt, twirling them in her hands, relieving herself of some of the, now useless, nervous tension.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2005 07:08
The corners of Eomer's mouth turned up into a small smile. She would be dissapointed, but, she'd have her chance, sooner or later. He let out a sigh, then climbed back down the ladder.

"Hasugar, tell the men to keep their watch, and not to go outside the gate until morning."

"As you wish, Lord Eomer." He bowed, then did as he was told.

As quick as he could, he made his way back up to the Golden Hall, not at all looking forward to Terry's disposition when he returned.
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2005 03:12
Terry continued to twirl her knives, pacing, her expression stony and angry.

She turned as she heard a cough behind her and, as she had not heard any footsteps, already knew it was Tasar. The elf smiled sheepishly. "You did not miss out on much."

Terry growled, stopping the movement of her hands and leaning against a pillar, looking dejected with a few loose strands hair falling in her face. "But I did miss out."

Tasar sighed and shook her head. "You will miss out sometimes, Terry. It is a fact of life. You cannot join all of the excitement, all the time." She then looked out towards the gates, watching Eomer hasten towards the hall. "Perhaps your lover can lighten your mood." With a small smile, Tasar disappeared into the hall, leaving Terry to wait for Eomer.

Terry sheathed her knives and folded her arms under her chest, looking out over the plains, face turned from the stairs. A wind picked up, releasing her hair from its hold and flinging it about her face. She seemed not to notice as she continued to watch the stars.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2005 05:50
Eomer made his way up the steps, searching for the right words to say. He thought maybe being cheeky would cheer her up.

At the top of the steps, he saw her, standing there, looking into the night. It never failed. . . her beauty overwhelmed him every time. His thought out words seemed to choke in his throat.

"I've told you several times, Terry, a warrior isn't complete until he or she has learned to use a bow!"

His tone was comical, though a grain of truth was in it. Being able to shoot on horseback was one thing the Rohirrim were proud to sport. It takes great trust between both horse and rider, but it also was useful when not on horseback.
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2005 08:05
Terry frowned, not turning to Eomer, the wind stinging her wet eyes. "I know, Eomer." She spoke quietly, seemingly disappointed in herself.

She then smiled slightly and turned to him. "I suppose you will have to teach me to use one, then." She shook her head back, flinging her hair out of her face. "How can I possibly call myself an accomplished warrior without the skill?"
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 06:55
Eomer could hear her voice falter. Surely, she knew he was only kidding? He ran to her and embraced her. "Oh, Terry, t'was only in fun! I did not mean to upset you!" He bent his head down and kissed the top of her head. "I think you would learn better from Tasar anyway. I'm better with a bow on horseback."
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 06:00
Terry allowed herself to be folded into his embrace, inhaling the rather intoxicating perfume of leather and sweat. She smiled. "I am sure that Tasar would be better equiped to teach me, but I would much rather be taught by you." She pushed back from him a bit to look up into his eyes. "And you did not upset me, dear, for I was already not in good spirits."
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 04:26
Eomer smiled and let out a small sigh of relief. "I'm glad. On the morrow, be prepared for practice. I'll find you a good bow for a learner in the armoury. Until then, love, I bid you good night. I go back to the wall."

Sleep was impossible for him that night. He wanted to be near the gate incase the wolves returned.

Climbing up the ladder, he saw Hasugar, and hailed him over. He thus informed him that they seemed to have left, for now.

"In the morning, we'll go out and have a look at the damage, if it's safe."
"You should go back and rest, my lord."
"Nonsense. I need to be here, with the men."
"As you wish, but if you require anything more, just call to me. I have to help keep the fires going."
"Very well."
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 03:25
Terry slept easily that night; but unfortunately, Tasar did not. Elves were never gifted with the joys of mortal rest, but this night could not even relieve her slightly. Wandering the halls, she bothered no one, for her feet made no sound on the stone floor.

Pulling on her dark cloak and placing her hood about her head, she stepped out of the entrance doors, nodding silently to the guards as she passed. She hoped Terry was sleeping, for she knew her friend had guard duty early the next morning. Looking out across the town and to the gates, she smiled slightly upon sight of Eomer, but wondered why he was not in bed, dreaming of her friend. Of course, she thought to herself, the safety of his town is more important to him.

She then frowned. Which would he choose on the battlefield, if the decision was to be made? His lover, or his people? With these questions on her mind, Tasar crossed her arms over her chest and looked up at the stars, seeking her answers.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 07:18
Morning came on slowly. The orange sun was just starting to peak out over the plains of Rohan.
Eomer had slept little after the attacks. He wanted to be ready if a second wave came.

Stepping out of a small guard shed, he made his way along the wall, trying to see if anything was left from the battle the night before.

Would that Tasar were here. She could see.

"Hasugar," Eomer said, knowing that he was right beside him, "Go and find the lady Tasar, if she is available."
"Aye, sire."

Occassionally, Eomer's eyes would stray northward, to the Gap. His thoughts were always on the hobbits, and Faolan.

I hope they have not been captured in the Gap. Where are they?

[Edited on 8/31/2005 by Silivrentolwen]
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 11:40
Tasar, dressed in a sky blue gown of the Elvish style, hair pulled back in several small braids behind her ears, was again wandering the halls when Hasugar found her and told her that Eomer requested her presence. With a swift nod, she walked out into the meek sunshine, glancing over at Terry with a welcoming eye.

Terry yawned in reply. She had had to wake up at three to prepare for duty and now here she was, standing outside the entrance doors.

Tasar chuckled and made her way through the village and to the wall, where she greeted Eomer with a clasped hand over her heart and a bow of the head. "Good morn' Lord Eomer, son of Eomund. What is it that you request of me?"
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 09:00
Eomer turned and greeted Tasar. "Good morning to you as well, lady Tasar. Yes, I did send for you. Our men have squinted all night to see anything in the darkness, but none could see anything. I thought it might require elvish sight. Can you see anything?"

He watched as Tasar turned and surveyed the battlefield of last night. He hoped she would shed some light on the events of last night.
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2005 11:06
Tasar surveyed the land before her, though it did not take long. "Many carcasses. Twenty, twenty five. Not many survived; there are very few tracks leading away from here." She shook her head. "Rarely have I seen such a large pack."

She continued to look. "The tracks coming lead from the mountains. They must have been one of the packs residing there. But... they had traveled an awfully long distance." She glanced over at him. "Perhaps they were driven out?"
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 02:40
Eomer stroked his chin in thought. "I suppose it is possible. But the hasty stroke oft goes astray. I think this was a deliberate attack. I don't think being driven out, they would risk an attack, unless they were starving." He shuddered as he uttered those last words.

"Well, I shan't send anyone out tonight to view the damage and burn the bodies. Some things are best kept 'til morning." He turned to Tasar, his eyes hiding the thoughts in his troubled mind.

"But if it would please you, I could use your eyes on the North watch post. We're expecting company. Would you join me there?"
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2005 03:31
Tasar smiled and nodded thankfully. "It would please me much, sir. I would much rather do that than continue to roam the halls."

Tasar frowned at Eomer's hiding of his true feelings, but decided not to press him for information. She would ask Terry about it later.
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 03:54
"Very good then. Shall we?" Eomer offered his arm in courtly fashion to escort Tasar to the north part of the wall.

It was still dark, at least two o'clock or so, and it would be a long watch til daybreak, but he was up for the challenge. He knew Tasar would handle it with the greatest of ease.

When they reached the post, he questioned her. "Can you see any riders coming? Or any movements of the enemy?"
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 01:46
Tasar looks out across the fields and plains, through the dim not-quite light of the early morning. "I see nothing, sir. No one."

She looks over at him . "Are you expecting someone, sir?"
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 04:58
Eomer looked at her, a bit confused.

"Well, if you have not heard, my lady, the king's esquire, Merry, and his friend, Pippin, knight of Gondor are supposed to come and aid us."

He turned and looked out over the plains, where the Misty mountains loomed, and there the Gap of Rohan lay open, without threat.
His eyes told the concern that lay behind them.
"I hope they are safely on their way. We cannot delay riding to Gondor much longer."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email