Register

<< First56789
Author Topic:
Wilwarin_Star
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What is your religion?
on: November 16, 2008 08:06
i am a catholic christian, and believe jesus christ died on the cross for us. and that you have to be nice to people:love:
BlueEyedPheonix
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2008 07:32
It's very complicated. I believe that all religions and philosophies have a truth in them, if it inspires people to do good in the world then it can not be a bad thing.
Ganymede_Symi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2009 08:26
I'm a Wiccan
It took me awhile to come to this path, but it was totally worth it.
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2009 10:38
Even though this may be quite out of place, I would like to thank all who have posted after me respecting my religion. I do not live in a strictly Islamic neighborhood, so I am often called a terrorist. I am glad that most of you seem to not see me as hating everyone else's religion. I have great respect for all of you now. (Of course, you're Tolkein fans)
Beriandanwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2009 01:20
Haldir, I believe that if we try to learn from others, in the end we will come to realize that we are not quite as different as some would have us believe. After all, we're all human, we want the same things, like love and health, prosperity and peace. Most cultures in the world hold similar core values, such as defending the common good, though not everyone expresses it in the same manner. Extremes always bring disastrous results, so radicals of any belief system bring trouble for everyone. Belonging to a particular faith can be a beautiful and nourishing experience, and it's a shame that some people can give it a bad name with their destructive actions (unfortunately, most religions have some). But we should be mature enough to, at least, try to recognise the difference. Some of the people I most admire have different belief systems to my own, but we share a common denominator: we believe in the greater good, in respecting the sacredness of life, and others' opinions, even if we don't always agree. So, friend, with respect and tolerance, let us begin here and now to make a better world, by being examples of peace.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2009 04:05
I'm a christian and I believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins, and you must be christlike.
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2009 01:56
In some ways I envy those of you who believe in god. I'm an atheist and have actually never believed in any kind of supernatural forces. Actually it's kind of funny because since my parents never told me about god or anything like that I never got what my friends did when they went to school on sundays until I was six or seven or something...
Since then I actually tried to believe in some kind of god (until a couple of years ago, when I finally gave up), it would explain so much... so I actually kind of envy you because you can see a meaning in this world and feel so certain about some things...
ChefArwen94
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2009 03:48
I am a Roman Catholic
And proud of it, too
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2009 08:12
I don't have a religion; I'm kind of lost to tell the truth. I was raised Roman Catholic, though by my mom. Dad's a baptist and I tried that but apprently I was terrified of the church I went to. :rolleyes: I was a strange kid...=P It was a southern baptist church I think, all I remember is a lot of loud noise.

[Edited on 5/3/2009 by Elfalas]
hodekin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2009 09:03
I follow the old spirituality that was resident in the British Isles prior to the coming of Christianity. This is essentially the Star,Sun,Moon worship of the people who built the great stone circles, fused with the Water/Tree worship of the later Celtic Druids.

Some Druids saw the coming of the White Christ as a prophesy coming true and therefore converted to Christianity quite easily, this was the beginning of the Celtic Church as opposed to the Roman church. Other Druids stayed well away from the new religion from the middle east and saw it as foreign and disconnected from the native soil, and not for the Isles of the mighty!

As for me, I believe that whatever faith or non faith a person has, it is for that person and that person only, to determine it's validity.

hodekin
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2009 02:27
I am having a religious crisis right now. I'm 15, and getting ready to become a Muslim adult, but I do not know if I believe in any higher power or not. I'm very confused. Sometimes it really seems like there is a god, but sometimes it sounds crazy. Does anyone else feel this way?
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: April 07, 2009 02:18
How can you be getting ready to become Muslim and not believe in a higher power? But to answer your last question I think we all go through a time of soul searching and we want to believe in God but we also question things that happen in this world. I am a christian and my belief has to do with personal things that happen to me concerning God. I have a relationship with God more than a religion. Good luck on your journey.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2009 02:47
HI hodekin, your comments are really interesting. I am a Unitarian Universalist and we support what you stated as the idea of each person journeying to the Divine, the truth, in whatever form and manner they see fit.

Personally, I gravitate to the pagan ways and our church has a n active Wiccan group. One of our leaders is a delightful woman who was raised in the Wiccan tradition right alongside Christianity. She also knows quite a lot about Druids and we enjoy hearing her stories. She is in her eighties and a truly wise Crone, with the heart and energy of a much younger woman..

HaldirofLorien13 I feel for you. I had my religious crisis much later in life. I hope that you can find a trusted person who will help you to explore your questions . The freedom to ask with a true and loving heart is too often restricted, because questioning is seen as evidence of sinfulness, weakness and self-indulgent lack of faith. I hope you DO NOT get that kind of reaction. I will pray that you receive the support you need to make the decision that is right for you. :love:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: April 07, 2009 06:59
Neenime you are wonderful. No wonder you do your counseling job so well. You are such a caring person and I tip my hat to you.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2009 12:39
Awww- thanks, Awelyn . I just try to treat people as well as I would like to be treated. It's a universal value across most spiritual traditions - same song, just different verses and harmonies.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2009 02:27
I wish I had someone like you to talk to when I went through my spiritual crisis. The only support I ever had was online, and it wasn't the greatest.
Kudos to you :hug:
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2009 07:08
Thanks for your support Neenime.

By the way, I'm already Muslim, I'm just soon going to be considered an "adult Muslim"
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2009 01:30
I, too wish I had had support, but it finally came when it came and I was grateful for it.

HaldirofLorien13 - there may be various sub-groups and approaches within even the Muslim world. A lot of things are available by Internet now, so perhaps there are some liberal Muslim groups that allow for some broader questions and perhaps non-literal approaches even within the religion.

maybe that will help a bit.

Have you ever checked out beliefnet ? They are like a resource centre for all sorts of religious questions and traditions. You might find a discussion group or some books.

Good luck.
~limwen~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2009 03:31
i am a Christen i think all the facts point to it and not saying that people that don't believe in Jesus and such are not right i don't really care you can believe what ever you want but that's what i think
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2009 02:08
For anyone seeeling a path, or even those just wishing to renew their experience, there is a great book called THE DIRECT PATH by Andrew Harvey.. He presents spiritual exercises from various world religions that assist you in directly experiencing the Divine. His own story of searching, from a household in India where Christianity, Hinduism and Islam lived peaceably together is really very interesting. He tried at least one main-stream religion but had a disastrous experience with a spiritual teacher. This led him to find his own way

It's an easy read and very inspirational. The thing about it is- you don't have to buy into any of the beliefs of the religions to benefit from the exericises. It's more a number of ways to experience a greater "force", "idea"or experience than just being in your own skin. So it's quite suitable for atheists as well.

I hope some of you find it helpful. :love:
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2009 07:46
I'm a Roman Catholic, and I love my religion I'm of Italian heritage, so it's pretty normal for me to be Roman Catholic
Haldir, I think it's pretty cool that you're Muslim! I find other religions facinating! I have many penpals, and there's one that is Jewish and one that is Hindu, the rest are Roman Catholic...a coincidence. And I find both Jewish and Hindu facinating! So, I support your religion
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
Ashbrook
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2009 09:20
I guess you could call me a Christian. I believe in god, and that Christ died on the Cross. However, I do not believe in Church, follow any religious preceedings, or anything of the sort. I simply try to live my life by the Bible as best as I can (When I want to...)
scaliper
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2009 06:51
I'm a bit of a quandary...I only just got over my religious crisis...
At my current state, I identify most closely with the UU. I believe there is a god, and that the only real rules of morality are peace, love, and understanding. Well...there are a good number of others, but they all seem to branch off of the first three.
Also, just for the record, I am also a firm believer in some kind of "Heaven" but not with purgatory instead of a "Hell."
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2009 05:34
I am a christian.
AslansElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2009 08:25
I was raised from birth as an episcapalian (SP?)/methodist, at age 6 my parents converted me to Roman Catholic and now my life has been so bad and nothing had improved so I dont beive in god or anything, but I believe if something is out there, it doesnt give a crap (dont know if I can say that here, I just know I can on several other family-friendly sites) about me, they say a mans body is his temple for anything he believes, but that dont stop my parents from disrespecting my choices and giving me a god-nerd (no offence intended) life to live and not letting me make 1 or 2 decisions in life.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2009 12:15
AslansElf - sounds as if you are in a tough spot. Speaking as a parent (and my guys are in their 20's now), it would have been really hard to accept their preferences to not go to church etc, when they wanted that in their teens. Like many parents, I tried to keep an open dialogue about their questions but was not ready to believe that they had enough wisdom, knowledge and experience to make their own decisions about religion. Once they reached about 16 or 18, we (their father and I) accepted that.

I don't know your age . That can be a factor. Remember most parents do what they believe is right, even when those decisions don't sit right with us.

I wish you, and all the seekers here, well as they sort out independence and religion (nd everything else in their lives :dizzy: )

AslansElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2009 04:14
Im 13 and I dont care what my parents think of me, they dont know about it yet, because there wouldnt be any outcome except being grounded until I changed my mind and church twice a day until i die
awelyn418
Send Message
on: September 07, 2009 07:16
AslanElf do you not have open communication with your parents? Maybe you need to let them know how you feel. Parents will not always do things that you agree with but they love you and want the best for you. Talk to them. If you can't maybe you could find a mediator that will go with you and talk with you. 13 is a difficult time as you are growing emotionally and physically and your hormone's are just jumping and one day you are happy and the next sad. One minute you are angry and the next you feel like a little girl. Hang in there and in the midst of this you are searching for something and it seems hopeless. AS Neenime posted good luck on the journey and try to find someone you trust to talk to you and help you with your search.
AslansElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2009 06:09
My parents are over protective and over religious, they dont let me go anywhere unless she or another over protective parent is going to be there 24/7, do you really think im gonna want to be open with them?
Nagzz
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2009 10:53
I'm a Muslim as well, & very proud

HaldirofLorien - I think I could help you out. What exactly is going on?
TheOrangeblossom
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2009 06:38
Considering how enormously huge the universe is...and how long it has existed...We can not know the hole truth. No religion in our little planet can have all the answers, it is just impossible! We have to respect each other and not fight over these topics. What would happen if a couple of thousands space ships from another, hostile world should drop down on us and become a real threat to earth. Would we not see each others with different eyes, Christians, Muslims, Agnostics and others? Then we would understand there is only one humankind.

But sometimes I envy strong believers - you are so confident! :heart: :heart:
AslansElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2009 04:16
Does It seem weird that even though Im atheist that I believe in Heaven and hell?
sofia
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2009 04:41
I am what I would call a "Torah-true" Jew and what secular newspapers prefer to call "Ultra-Orthodox."
You know those men who wear fedora-hats (like the gentlemen of the 1930's) and women who wear long skirts? That's my life. And I love it.
I am very happy to answer anyone's questions. There are a lot of misconceptions and polite curiosity out there. Most Jews think they understand orthodox life but have never actually experienced it.
I have not found, for example, that any branch of Judaism empowers women as much as this does.
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2009 06:22
That's really cool Sofia! I'm part of a group who follows Jewish teaching, but wouldn't be considered Jews by other Jewish people.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2009 02:26
I'm a Roman Catholic, just like Tolkein!

I like Jewish rappers (reggae too).., Nosson Zand, JewdaMakabi, and Matisyahu
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email