Register

<< First56789
Author Topic:
Katsuno_Hitomi
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What is your religion?
on: November 28, 2009 03:30
I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. *waits for the inevitable polygamy jokes*
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: November 28, 2009 06:38
How can you be a atheist and believe in heaven and hell Aslan Elf?

There better not be that kind of jokes Katsuno as moderator I don't allow that, we respect each other here.

Sofia how are empowered as a woman?

I am non-denominational I believe in a virgin birth ,Jesus is my savior,the Bible and creation and other things the list is to long but those are the main ones.
Katsuno_Hitomi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2009 07:05
How can you be a atheist and believe in heaven and hell Aslan Elf?

There better not be that kind of jokes Katsuno as moderator I don't allow that, we respect each other here.

Sofia how are empowered as a woman?

I am non-denominational I believe in a virgin birth ,Jesus is my savior,the Bible and creation and other things the list is to long but those are the main ones.

Oh, I know they won't say it. But I'm certain they'll think it.

On a more serious note, I'm happy to answer any questions about my religion anyone may have.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: November 30, 2009 04:20
I have several LDS friends and none of them have polygamy in their families. In some remote places it most likely still exists, but it's still kept fairly quiet. As far as I'm concerned, people should be left alone to live their lives as long as they don't harm others. LDS have some interesting tenets, one of which is being prepared. Some make fun of that as well, but it's a wonderful idea and certainly apropos in today's uncertain world.
sofia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2009 07:51
Like this:
Modern feminism taught that women are no less capable than men. So it sent them into the workplace, into the construction site, into law and medicine and architecture (my mother was one of the first female architects in America); and it demands equal pay for them.
All of which is well and good.
But, as a side effect of all this, it implies that women are valuable only insofar as they adopt the roles which have historically been men's. Thus a woman who would rather stay home and raise children is looked down upon. It is not a compliment to be called a "housewife". This was never the case until the feminist movement.
This shortcoming of the feminist movement is by now fairly well-known; I believe we are up to "post-feminism" or something like that.

It is not uncommon for Orthodox women to be doctors and lawyers, etc.; but if they stay home to raise children no-one looks down on them for it.

Women and men have equal significance in the eyes of Torah. But, no Orthodox woman calls herself "Rabbi", nor will she lead services for a mixed congregation - although she may be learned and dispense counseling and wisdom just as much as a rabbi, or lead a group of women in prayer. From outside, this looks like discrimination. From inside, the women will tell you they prefer it this way:

Men - all men, almost - enjoy hierarchy. They like a system of titles; they like to know where they stand in a group. They actually thrive on a measure of competition. Women - all women, almost - think that peculiar. They don't need competition, they don't need titles and official positions, to know that they are important and accomplished and make a difference. "So let the husbands play at hierarchy, and we will use the raw materials they provide to develop a world." Thus say the women, and go about their learning, teaching, and leading without all the fuss and feathers that a man's ego demands.
Only, a society based on feminism denies them the right to do so; and says that if a woman does not thrust herself into the public eye, she must not have accomplished much.

edited for brevity

[Edited on 2/12/2009 by sofia]
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: December 01, 2009 11:08
There is much of value in many spiritual paths. Unfortunately, interpretation with a variety of filters and barriers common to communication often play havoc with the intended messages. Let us just say that there is truly no right or wrong way to worship insofar as it harms none.
mercy_won
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2010 10:00
I believe in Jesus Christ as my
Saviour and the only way to Heaven
Im not about self rightousness. I am no better than anyone, just forgiven.
I am a Christ follwer
I love God
and I love you!!!:love:
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2010 07:24
I´m a Agnostic Atheist. :wave:

If there was a Valar religion (is there already?) do you think you´d join it?
NeurielAdonneniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2010 05:01
i'm a non-denominational christian..

as much as i love lotr, i'd have to say that, no, i would not join the valar religion...but once i was googling ladies of middle earth and i saw a site that was all about ppl who worshiped ladies of middle earth tho..
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2010 10:48
I'm a Latter-day Saint (Mormon).
ElwingAndEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2010 12:14
Roman Catholic here!
"The Deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song..." - Haunting the Realm of Vaire as the Corrupted Major - Find me as Silmarilz1701 everywhere else
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2010 02:56
As it's been almost three years since I last posted here and my beliefs change I thought I'd elaborate.

I don't follow any particular religion, I don't worship or believe in any particular god although I don't deny the existence of one. I believe in respecting nature and not treating it as if you own it, and that there should be a balance light and darkness, not one getting rid the other, and that light and darkness aren't synonymous with good and evil.
I do celebrate pagan holidays so I celebrate Samhain and remember and honor (or try to) my grandparents and other ancestors.

I'm still working out what I believe, it's been hard because I live with two devoted Christians who are strict and won't take no for an answer.

And I also want to say that I think it's wonderful how so many people with very different beliefs all love Lord of the Rings! :love:

[Edited on 16/12/2010 by starofdunedain]
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2011 06:02
I'm an Apostolic Pentecostal.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2011 09:40
I'm a Roman Catholic. And about the Valar religion, I wouldn't join it; it would constitute idolatry. Even in ME they didn't worship the Valar, they venerated them, almost like Catholics do Mary.
"Though she be but little, she is fierce." -A Midsummer Night's Dream
Marlewyn
Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 02, 2011 01:53
And I also want to say that I think it's wonderful how so many people with very different beliefs all love Lord of the Rings!

I totally agree It's great that so many people can be drawn together by one common interest and respectfully discuss subjects like this

I'm a Roman Catholic, like the rest of my family.
Lyna
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What is your religion?
on: January 15, 2013 12:44
I am completely, and entirely a Christian. Now days, so many people "claim" to be a Christian.. so I will tell you EXACTLY what I am all about. I am born-again. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He came to this earth, born of a virgin. He lived, then died on the Cross, for all of my sins- and yours. Then, He rose 3 days later. Now He is on the right hand of His Father, in Heaven. His precious Blood cleanses me from all sin and death. He is my Life and my Light. I anxiously await His return. ♥♥♥

The true Return of the King!!!
True joy, is found at the Master’s feet.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 02:57
Eh... I just don't know I was raised as a Christian, but there's just too much 'politics' within the church that we were going to and oft I hear about the congregation 'demanding' that you go to choir practice when a relative you haven't seen in years is in town.

That and it's just almost too much for me to comprehend that one god is in control of everything. I'm a bit more apt to believe in multiple gods (like the Romans, and Greeks) that would get together and discuss what will happen.

But I also believe that one blazes their own path/future. And everyone has the right to believe in what they will, the only time I get upset is when someone tries to 'force' me into a religion. Like the 'christian' (or at least I think they say that they are christian) protestors that will protest everything, from conventions (anime, scify, etc) to military funerals, I do not and will never respect those kind of people. (Also sorry if I offended anyone, I'm not doing that on purpose. I'm only giving an opinion, no matter how it may seem to anyone.)
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 07:27
Everyone is entitled to their own spiritual path. It is rarely exactly the same for any two people, even those who believe in the same path. Best to agree to disagree and not get upset if folks don't have exactly the same ideas.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 08:02
Agreed. That's why I tried to give some examples of the extreme, fortunately most that one comes across are not as extreme as the examples above, though they (the extremists) are often extremely rare to come across.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 03:12
God preserve us from the self-righteous eh? I believe that we should hold our beliefs lightly.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 06:15
Christian, but not the in-your-face sort. I believe actions speak louder than words.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 09:13
Quote from LinweSingollo on January 16, 2013, 16:15
Christian, but not the in-your-face sort. I believe actions speak louder than words.

Those are the best kind of religious people! (It's a compliment!
Taug anin ú-daug.
Silmariel-Feanors-Child
Council Member
Send Message

I have decided for me a follower of Eru and the Valar to be . I still care in today's modern era honest to call a Henotheist . which means I believe in the Creator but I do not rule out that there also are other "gods" beside him , but I also believe that each of us has a spark of the Divine firing in itself , therefore the religion of Middle-earth is best for myself . I do not need a church or temple to honor the Creator yet it is ultimately so that we all have the same divine source, all of us created . but the people worship them only under another name. The one they call the other Manitou Allah , others Yah God and others . I call him for me Eru , the One .
but what really is the divine , love is all of existence . We are the divine and the divine are we , the hearts of living beings are connected to each other if they feel it now or not and that is ultimately what counts. The unconditional love of our brothers and sisters in being. whether they are in the light or in the shadow of darkness. we are one.
Light and Darkness belongs together . neither can exist without the other ! The first step will lead you mostly to the correct location but a wrong step will be your ruin quickly. ImageImage
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I am kind of a Christian, but not totally. For instance, I never pray with my eyes shut, because I feel that it is more important to observe and praise and enjoy God's world. I believe that God created the Big Bang. I believe that as a follower of God, looking after the Earth is my duty. I believe that when you die you go into nothingness, but I also believe that you are judged. I don't go to church, because my parents didn't bring me up to be religious, but I go to Christian camps, and sing Christian songs and things like that.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, i never thought of not closing your eyes when you pray. I guess it depends on what you want to do, like some people kneeling to pray to rever before God, or standing to be closer to His Kingdom. Sort of a tomato-tomato thing.

I beleive that God created the heavens and Earth.

I grew up in the Christian church. I love going to church and youth group with my best friends. I also listen to Christian music and carry many of the lyrics close to my heart.

Wolfie, maybe you can ask your parents to take you to a church? If you would like to go.

The hardest part about being a Christian is sharing your faith with thers. God calls us to do so, but it's hard to get out of your comfort zone and share the good news of Jesus Christ.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I will ask my parents, I think.
I think I am most Christianly when I sing Christian music at camps, because I feel like I need nothing except to stand there singing his praise forever more.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
And I believe that is as close as it gets to Heaven on Earth.

Go ahead and ask your parents, wolfie!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting, Wolfbladequeen, that you do not close your eyes when you pray. I never bow my head. Instead, I lift it up. I would rather look to Heaven than to Hell.

And a church is just a manmade building. I prefer to be outside, gazing at the sky, or standing at the edge of the sea or listening to the sounds of the Night. These are the things the Creator has made.

[Edited on 09/30/2013 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
"Some keep the Sabbath going to church;
I keep it staying at home,
With a bobolink for a chorister,
And an orchard for a dome."
- Emily Dickinson
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Someone just reminded me where Jesus preached. It was not in a church but on hillsides and on the shores of the sea.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Have you seen the footsteps poem? It is so beautiful...

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love that poem, Wolfie, and I have a framed picture of it in my room, up on my wall.
katetari
Council Member
Send Message
mormon and happy! I'm glad to see i'm not the only one.
I am not obsessed. I am compulsively awesome.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Still a follower. There is a thread on here for prayer requests and stuff...I shall embark on a quest and find it...someday...
BelleBayard
Send Message
You can put it under the Christian Roll Call, Findemaxam.
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email