Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: How did you pick your name ?
on: December 20, 2004 03:57
I've used my name on the internet before I came to COE.
Anoria is a name I made up for a story, originally, but then I liked it so much, I used it for myself. I'm not sure how I came across Miriel. It was before I read The Silmarillion, so I didn't know about the character Miriel. I think I had seen it used in Elvish, in songs and stuff, and I was playing around with names, again for a story, and Miriel just came to me. So I put them together and I love it so much that I have stayed as Anoria Miriel for a good few years.
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 03:37
Mine took no though really - I have a thing for Grima/Brad, so I thought, "Why not?"
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 12:21
I first decided which form of Elvish I wanted to learn - Quenya. I then checked the translation of my name & it came up with a few, one being Eruanna. I think it sounds quite nice & has a nice meaning.. God's gift
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 04:29
Mine is influenced my the Egyptians. Nefertiti means "The beautiful one comes"

Irêl~utúlië means "the star comes"

"The star" is Gil-estel, because I love the story of Earendil and also because of the phial of light that Galadriel gave Frodo.

It is also because I love how the word "utúlië" sounds in "May it Be"
EldarChild
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 04:58
Forgive me if I have posted somewhere in here...I couldn't find it.

I wanted to think of a good name before I joined so I sat down and made a list....pathetic I know. I wanted my name to be elvish and original.

Everywhere else I'm Rogue...my real-life nickname but there was already a registered Rogue here.

Anyway I made my list and put them in a hat...seriously I did.
Luck of the draw EldarChild came up first twice
Followed by ChildofIlluvatar
I like them both a lot but went with the one I pulled the most often.
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 09:03
I thought for SURE I posted on here before? *shrugs* Oh well...

Mine is pretty self-explanatory: my sis and I say it all the time, and my personality is quite close to Pippin's....sooo....bingo.
Silmaure
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 06:24
Mine came from a elvish name translator.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 18, 2005 04:21
My name used to be Luthien03, because I really liked Luthien... but then I decided to try to come up with an original name for an RP in my realm. So I started searching the database for the Elvish language here at CoE to come up with something I liked. I eventually found that -iel meant daugher of, and Annûn meant west. Therefore, I became Annûniel, Daughter of the West.

Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: February 20, 2005 07:06
Mine came from a name translator, http://www.lotruk.com/nametranslator/index.html (It just gives random names) First I tried registering with Celedë, which is my elvish name according to that translator, but it had already been taken. So I added Anthaas, the name of my sword (according to the translator)

Nice avatar Irêl~utúlië
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2005 07:56
Mine came from a name translator, http://www.lotruk.com/nametranslator/index.html (It just gives random names) First I tried registering with Celedë, which is my elvish name according to that translator, but it had already been taken. So I added Anthaas, the name of my sword (according to the translator)

Nice avatar Irêl~utúlië

Oooo...I tried that translater thing and I got "Sawen" for an elvish name. There were a bunch of others too, but I forgot most of them already. I think the nearest residence/bar would be "The Golden Lady", and my hobbit name was "Clyryan Greenhand". :dizzy:
Pippin_the_periannath
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2005 04:28
My name picked me...
LotrLuva
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 07:23
To tell you the truth, I don't really like my username. I used to think it was the coolest name ever, but now I don't like it so much anymore. If I could change it, I probably would. Anyway, I chose it because I like Lord of the Rings, but you don't need to be a genius to be able to figure that out.
Bealocwealm
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 02:10
i wish i could tell some impressive story about my name, but really i originally tried Dernhelm and that was obviously taken.
i didn't want to have to resort to numbers so i took the first thing that came to mind. Namely, the first word from "Eowyn's
Dirge" - Bealocwealm.
It means "an evil death", not that i feel that way about myself, but i like the sound of it.

Also it seem sorta like something dark and mysterious hidden beneath the facade of a pretty front.
At least that's what i keep telling myself .
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 10:40
I just made my name
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2005 08:43
1. I always wished I'd been named Elizabeth

2. I've always had a fondness for the character of Eliza Dolittle from My Fair Lady

3. I love hobbits!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
Angel_Of_Athens
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 02:42
Actually I tried to pick a lot of names but they were already chosen after 15 minutes of being frustrated and thinking I came up with this one. I'm supposed to be Athena. Creative huh? you don't have to answer that. lol
Felnor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 10:05
I just made mine up! I thought it sounded LOTR-ish but now I use it on almost all the sites I go on LOTR or not!
Nessa_Telemnar_of_Doriath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2005 05:36
Nessa Telemnar came from an elvish name generator by Chris Wetherel or something like that.
Of Doriath...hmm...I was reading the Silmarillion at the time I joined,and I just loved the descriptions of Doriath,they reminded me of this place I used to go when I was little...all pretty animal carvings everywhere...hehe
~Caradhriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 09:01
Hmm...

Well I chose Caradhriel becuase I'd just finished reading Gone With the Wind.
I'd fallen in love with the name 'Scarlett', but the nearest thing I could find in elvish was 'caran' which means 'red'. I changed it like "Caradhras" into "Caradhriel".

I hope that makes sense!!!!
Triwi
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 07:14
well my nick name is Tree and my best freinds nick name is Kiwi and when you put them together it makes Triwi.
Gam-gam
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2005 02:33
Well, since my nickname at school is Samwise Gamgee, we were coming up with funny "pet names" for each other - like Frito for Frodo, Pip for Pippin, Mewy for Merry, and mine ended up being Gam-gam, so I used that here. I usually go by Samwisegirl12 on most sites and I like that one waaay better and more people know me as that, so I wish I could change mine to that. That's why I accidently sign my posts ~ swg ~ (short for Samwisegirl12) instead of Gam-gam, cuz I'm used to it.
Eldraug
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2005 04:21
"El" is Quenya for star or elf and "draug" is Sindar for wolf. My spirit animal is a wolf so I thought Star-wolf was appropriate.
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 07:16
The sindarin translation for my name (Dave) is "Melannen". However, someone had already had CoE name, so I wondered how I could modify it. The word 'super' was the first word that popped into my head, and I put them together, and became "Super Melannen." However, "supermelannen" is easier to type, so, yeah, that's how I got my name!
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2005 12:02
mine doesn't have a thing to do with lotr really since whenever I try to make a lotr-ey -ish name it sounds dumb.

I love newsboys, and me, being a girl, decided to go with newsgirl
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 12:03
I found the translation of my real name on Arwen-Undomiel.com (Aranel) and I love the stars, and i am constantly singing (my life is music) so i combined them and got "Starsong" then i looked up the translation for each word and got Elenlin!! :love:
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 08:22
I tried several names but they were all taken so in frustration, I just used the translation of my first name (Keri) that came up on the CoE translator. I didn't really like it at first but it has grown on me.
melinyelnarendur
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 07:38
Well my name has a special meaning... its translation is:
I love you Servant of Fire. Well on this Role Playing Game I have a character called MacGyver off of a TV show. Well on the RPG he can shoot fire. And I really like the character from the TV show so I made my Name, I love you Servent of Fire
Which basically means I love you MacGyver! Yeah Proably really confusing, but that's what my sn means!
Hopeinenpuu
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2005 10:36
My name means silvertree. I want have a name that nobody else have...

And I love trees...:heart:
nazgulli
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 09:30
I like the mysterious and dangerous nazgûl, and my name sounds like it...so nazgûlli (real name is Goele)
minyaliel_níniwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 05:58
Minyaliel's a name I've used on other sites for quite a while. It means "Daughter of the Dawn" in Sindarin, and wasn't randomly picked, I was born at dawn, actually. When I registered, it told me somebody'd already registered as Minyaliel, so I added Níniwen, which means Maiden of Tears/ Sorrow.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 02:44
Well, I had to make a unique Internet name for myself waaay back then and now I'm so used to it, it was natural to use it here, too. And it's handy to use the same name everywhere...

It has two parts - "fog" comes from my likings and mood and... that's who I am and "riipus" means 'pendant' in Finnish. It's there because I needed to add something to the name I was called because there started to show up many fogs around. It looks and sounds good with fog!
So the name as a whole means something, but not as much as the separate parts of it... It's a combination of my two dearest languages, but the reason why I didn't change fog to the Finnish word, "sumu", was just because I was used to fog already.

Besides, I've grown to love my name in many ways... Anyone who has studied maths little further knows this preference for using f and g for functions... and fog - gof thing for combined functions.

[Edited on 7/12/2005 by fogriipus]
Vanyariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2005 05:58
My real name is Shayna, which is "beautiful" in Hebrew. My user name, Vanyariel is a derivative of beautiful in Quenyan.
netholas_son_of_legolas1
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2005 06:25
My name was never supposed to have son_of_legolas on the end I just had to add that on when I created a new account.

This is sad but when I was a few years younger than I am now I made up a language of my own. 'neth' meant new. I added this to the elvish for leaf 'las' so the name means 'new leaf.'
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 05:54
Well, it's easy to see for me, but I'll explain anyway.
I absolutely luv Shadowfax (purty horsie) and I adore Pippin, so there you have it.
one_more_addiction
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 07:45
mines fairly self explanatory i think. I'm always obsessed with something... Harry Potter, then the Matirx. And then lotr, but the lotr obsession seems to be holding much longer then any of the others... could it be iv found my life's love?
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email