Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: How did you pick your name ?
on: November 27, 2012 07:39
I found the translation of my first name in the elvish names database on here. I just came up with Evensong.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2012 12:05
I made mine up. My real name is Linda and that means song or singing in Elvish. I added the riel which means garlanded and wen means maiden. So that makes me a singing garlanded maiden.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Chrysanthe97
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2013 01:00
I'm writign a mythology series like Percy Jackson, and I really like the name Chrysanthe.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2013 11:39
It was my great grandmother's name. I decided to use her name online for privacy of course, but also because Huldah was a prophetess in the Old Testment, and I have asked for the gift of prophesy. Maria is from my heritage, I do not know how many generations now have had it as a middle name.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2013 06:10
well, i like legolas and 23 is just a random number! epic story,right?
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2013 12:36
Nah it fine Legolas23!
Well I remembered how Tolkien talks a lot about dwelling and so dweller and then I like the west stick a of the in there and you have dwellerofthewest
not really that great but yeah.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2013 12:53
King Dain II Ironfoot, the Fifth King under the Mountain. He is one of my favorite Dwarfs. He is the second cousin of Thorin Oakenshield. You will hopefully be seeing him in the next Hobbit film, because he is the one who brings a host of warriors from the Iron Hills to aid Thorin in the Battle of the Five Armies.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2013 01:14
I read somewhere that Tolkien based Beren off of himself and I don't remember where the _Onehand came from but it seems to be cool.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2013 10:31
I've always fancied myself a very tall hobbit, and a bit of a mad adventurer at heart. Thus, my name Tookishgirl was born. Of course, now that I've read the book a few times and realized that Buckland is sort of like the Texas of the Shire, I wouldn't much mind being a Brandybuck either. But, of course, both time and usernames are irreversible.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: February 16, 2013 08:52
My name is my real name, "Tiffany" in Quenya. It means when translated, "Appearance of God".
Draketh
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2013 11:54
I'm obsessed with dragons so I started my name off with Drake and then just screwed around with it until I came up with Draketh.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2013 02:25
Well.....long, bitter story. My real name, Julia, is something like "Nenderwen" in Sindarin. Which sounds wierd adn does not flow as I imagined an elf language should, being a 12 year old anomoly with an odd taste for watching lotr. So, I did some research and found my Quenya name. Julia means "soft haired" or "youthful", depending, but the site i was on listed my name as "Findemaxa", from the Quenyan root "Long-haired". Then I use 48 becasue it was the first digit of my locker combination in 7th grade, 2 years ago. But I love Findemaxa better becasue it flows nicer than the Sindarin one O.O
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 09:49
So than why is it 'findemaxam'? (Oh, by the way, maybe you should have done a capitol F because it's a proper noun )
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 04:51
Hm, I thought I'd posted in here before. I guess not.

Mine used to be Smoore before I knew I'd be active on the forums. Once I decided to get involved, I wanted to change it to my recently "created" Elvish name, which I stole from the Elvish name database on this site. (It was "Cillen".) Somehow, through means unbeknownst to me, I managed to log in as an admin. I have no idea how I did it, but one day I was on a different page than normal and I could change my username. It was really weird.

So I went with Cillendor, which means "chosen brother". It is a reference to Seth (my real name) son of Adam, who was the chosen brother out of all of Adam's sons to replace Abel when he was murdered. Seth's name in Hebrew means "appointed", and "chosen" is as close as you can get to that in Sindarin Elvish.

I also created a surname, though I don't use it here. It is Edenion, or son of man, because Adam's name in Hebrew literally means "man" (so a literal translation of the book of Genesis would refer to him as Man rather than Adam).
Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 05:03
Well, there was this name in the movie Inception that I really liked, it was Ariadne. I decided to put the common elvish fix 'wen' instead of 'ne' and there you have it, not so great, but it works.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 03:22
aww, thats OK. Cant change that now, though I am an English freak. But, the M stands for Miriel, the last name of a charachter in a book im writing.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 03:38
and also a charachter in one of Tolkiens works
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 05:13
findemaxam, did you want to change your name? You could always try PMing an admin and asking for them to change it. I changed mine somehow, but I couldn't begin to tell you what I did.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 01:25
thats Ok, I like it the way it is, and it kind of makes it unique because so many people capitialized their names But thatnks for asking
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 05:01
I needed a handle for another site and tried a couple of unusual sounding names only to find they were already taken. So I ended up with this one. It doesn't mean anything.
findemaxam48, Julia means 'youthful' which in Quenya is 'nessima'. Nice. It also means 'child of Jove'.
Leg, 23 is not a random number at all, check out the 23 enigma.
Cillendor, it seems you did more than just change your name, your posts are always too wide now. Weird!
Ariadwen, the name Ariadne was used in Inception as it was she in the Greek myth who helped Theseus out of the Minotaur's labyrinth. Y'see what they did there?

The only allowable way to get a new name is to get your account deleted and start again. Hmmm, tempting...
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: April 05, 2013 10:14
Actually, you can PM our Accounts Admin and ask her about changing your name, but please don't do this frequently.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2013 05:57
Well, my lotr name is Ethelynn but i'm married to Legolas Greenleaf lol
"A sprinter learning to wait."
jakalova
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 02:10
About 10 years ago I created a Vampire: The Masquerade character and that character's name stuck with me because it was something unique. I attached a meaning to it as well, Scavenger of All Things.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2013 12:52
Quote from tarcolan on April 5, 2013, 15:01
Cillendor, it seems you did more than just change your name, your posts are always too wide now. Weird!

They are?! They don't look any wider than any other posts on my computer. I don't know why that would be, because I don't have an image in my sig or anything. That's bizarre indeed.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 02:13
I dont notice any difference, they dont seem too wide to me...
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 03:04
This is way off topic but I must tell you as well, Cillendor....your posts stick out to the right maybe half an inch. Makes you more unique, I suppose.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 05:25
Really??? This is how they appear on my computer. I'm using Google Chrome.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2013 09:53
I do not know how you did that. If I did, I would post it so you could see how yours goes out to the right. (don't tell me how you did that because I still wouldn't be able to do it) Hey, go log in on someone elses computer, maybe then you can see what it does.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 14, 2013 12:03
Here's what many of us see:

Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message

on: April 14, 2013, 03:25
Quote Remove Edit

Really??? This is how they appear on my computer. I'm using Google Chrome.

................................................................................................................................................................................................
formerly known as SMOORE

I aglar e-heriad adh i glaur e-methed en-aerlinn Eru annar anwar anin Ainur a huiar andin dhannad núf i thólid Ilúvatar a nad dhínen.

The glory of the beginning and the splendour of the end of the psalm of God awed the angels and caused them to fall before feet of the Father and be silent.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 14, 2013 12:05
Something about Google Chrome, perhaps? The entire post is pushed off to the right by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Not sure how to fix it as it must be something in your sig and that's broken right now (Rivka's working on it!). Now my post is too big because I copied yours into my post!. This one should be just right.
jakalova
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2013 08:03
double posted..blast.

I did look up my real name in the dictionary and the meaning is rather funny. Tattooed (or Painted) Warrior. It fits as I have more than a few tats.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2013 03:11
findemaxam48, Julia means 'youthful' which in Quenya is 'nessima'. Nice. It also means 'child of Jove'.

tarcolan: Thanks, I didnt know that!
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 08:30
Haha, just something with Internet Explorer that makes it look like that lol. Here's screenshot from Mozilla Firefox:

From Google Chrome: Image
And from Internet Explorer: Image If it bothers you too much, switch to a different browser. Internet Explorer has many such bugs, and not just with CoE. Firefox and Chrome support Ad Blockers as well, which are VERY nice. Especially if your computer is slow.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2013 02:41
Leoflic, now your post is super long!!!! Maybe the pics did that, though....
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
That's weird. My internet does that with my PM's and I use Safari. Hm... :/
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email