Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Murder in Rohan (KEEP)
on: March 10, 2005 05:42
(OOC: This takes place after the War of the Ring. Eomer is now king of Rohan. When Sauron was destroyed, many of his orcs survived and now rove over lands of men, causing havoc where they may. Rynwyn’s dearest friend has been killed while scouting- but not by orcs, it seems. She has come to the ‘crime scene’ before any others and suspects a traitor among the men of Rohan. She wishes to find him and have revenge, but she has no skills in tracking and needs help following the trail. *hint hint* ; I'll open an OOC thread for plot ideas if I get a few interested people. Oh ja- please only join if you're willing to write fairly lengthy posts. thanks! and sorry for the horribly long OCC! )

Moonlight cascaded down in thralling beams, falling upon hills and into singing streams like pale silver. The sky was so clear; stars twinkled high above with breath taking beauty, strewn over the vast velvet cloak of night in a careless fashion. Nocturne’s queen hung even higher, glowing with the mysterious light that was her wont and way. She was at the full on this night, and could see everything that went on below.
A hard wind blew through. It grappled fiercely with the cloak pulled tightly around the girl’s shoulders as she looked down, staring at the crumpled heap at her feet.
He had been a true friend- truer than most could ever hope to be, valiant and honorable to the last. He had been young, only just passing nineteen summers, with plans to become a mighty warrior and go down in Rohan’s history as a renowned rider and archer.
And now he lay dead.
On his belly with head turned so that the look of horror was still present. Blood stained his green jerkin where the arrow had entered, and his hand still clutched the bow he’s received from his father. Unmoving, now, stilled forever.
“Murdered,” Rynwyn said softly to the night air. Her brother’s horse snorted and moved uneasily over the ground where he stood nearby. The stench of death was strong to his senses, and he desired to escape it. Rynwyn said no word of comfort to the stallion, knowing he would not desert her. Rather she kept her wet eyes trained on the pain-stricken face of her friend.
Reothed had told her that he would ride out near Fangorn with a small group of scouts who had heard rumor of roving orcs. Indeed, it seemed he had found his orc-band. Several of those creatures lay dead. Three others of the Rohirrim besides Reothed also lay near, cut down cruelly.
But it had not been an orc arrow or blade that had stolen Rynwyn’s friend away- the shaft protruding from his back belonged to a man of Rohan. And why did the single rider not return? Had he been taken prisoner by the orcs? Rynwyn did not know, but she suspected that the arrow was not mere chance or accident. She had noticed the rider acting strange among his fellows, and often riding out alone. Anger burned in her heart, mingled with grief and loss. The girl desired so badly to seek out her friend’s killer and have revenge. She was no tracker, though, and could see no prints at all in the dark. And so she stood by the corpse of her fallen friend in the cold wind, ruing that she could promise him no vengeance or find it for herself.
Suddenly, the sound of another cloak caught in the rapid winds reached her ears and she turned, facing a shadowy figure. Fear gripped her heart and she gripped her sword-hilt, though she did not draw the blade out.
“Are..are you friend or foe?” she stammered, trembling and wishing suddenly that she had not come so far alone.

[Edited on 13/3/2005 by dreamdancer]

[Edited on 18/1/2006 by dreamdancer]

[Edited on 3/2/2007 by dreamdancer]
Inspiring_Addiction
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Murder in Rohan (KEEP)
on: March 11, 2005 02:50
((OOC: My character is an Elf Maiden named Náriël Ciryatan. Her and all her animals are in the DB.))

Nariel grinned to herself beneath the shadow of the black hood which enveloped her face. She could see the pain and nervousness in the girls eyes, and she felt some pity for her. Pity was emotion that came scarcely to Nariel...

"Your friend was not slayed by an Orc..." Nariel took a few steps closer to her, but seeing her hand placed threateningly on her sword she stopped, pulling her hood from her face. Her long black locks swept around her face, and she shook her head. "Do not worry, I will not harm you. My name is Nariel Ciryatan. I heard battle cries pierce through the air, and came to see what had happened."

Nariel walked toward the heap of a man who lay bloody beneath the girl. She reached out and touched his skin... It was cold and hard as stone. He had died hours ago. Nariel scowled and shook her head. "Men give in to evil far too easily in these days that should hold peace." She looked up at the girl, she could see the anger in her eyes.

"I know little of you, but yet I do know that amongst evil creatures men who fall so evil are not to have mercy on. I shall help you revenge your friend's death... The people of this land do not need an evil man cloaked in a good face running amongst them. But we will not be able to face this on our own... I know some people who have walked this land for many years, I'm sure we could find them in the town... It's far too dark to follow the tracks tonight anyway..."
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 03:43
(OOC: Glorfindal is an Elf of Lindon, and a servant of Cirdan the Shipwright. He is also a skilled woodsman and healer. At present he was travelling south to the coastlands nigh to Dol Amorth for some rest after the Siege of Rivendell, but hearing news of Orc bands he has turned aside into Rohan to hunt them down. After tracking them for a few days he has picked up the trail of the band near to Fangorn Forest.)

The warm glow of the fire filled the room with a strange, flickering orange light. Through the glow, half cast shadows obscured and distorted the features of the furnishings, so they seemed half there. No other light penetrated the shades of that scene, but the eerie glow from that shifting blaze was enough to see by.

Around the comforting glow were set larger shades, which the half-light revealed to be the sleeping forms of people. They lay draped over benches and chairs, blissfully lost in the realms of dreaming. All were still and quiet, save for moments when they shifted almost to the brink of waking, murmering phrases from their minds or changing their positions to better suit their comfort.

A by-stander would also observed the interesting formation of the people, laid in pairs, a man and a woman, in various degrees of embrace. All save one, who sat nearest to the fire, a on low set chair, obscured by the pelts of so many wild beasts. Her posture was upright and alert, and yet some how relaxed, a clue provided by the position of her feet (tucked up under her.) Her brilliant blue eyes, were trained accross the room, on a pair of sleeping figures.

The first of these was a young woman of exqusite beauty, long brown hair cascaded down her face and shone in the firelight. She slept on peacefully, an expression of complete content on her face. However a large bump, rising from the middle, exposed the trait of new life growing inside of her. Around her, laided like a protective shield, were the arms of another. Broad, strong forearms were exposed by retracted shirt sleeves. On the right one, a large and smooth white scar lunged out into in the darkness. Despite the fact it seemed to to be an old injury, it had obivous at one point given it's owner a great deal of pain and grief.

The man, in fact he wasn't a man, smoothly defined, chiselled features, the tips of pointed ears jutting out from his mane of copper hair and brilliant blue eyes, identified him as another elf. While those keen eyes were locked onto the young woman sitting opposite, his arms were wrapped quite contently around the young human in front of him. Their hands met in her lap, but indeed they were so deeply intwined that it was impossible to tell whose were whose.

"You're very lucky," the young woman piped up, her voice high and pocessed almost a musical quality to it, "To have her, and she's lucky to have you. I never took you for the marrying type though Glorfindel."

"That was because," returned her male counterpart,"Ailia, you could never envisage me marrying any one other than you. I always knew you considered me a little bit more than a brother, but then again under the circumstances I was not surprised.

The two shared a brief smile and laugh, but Ailia looked away blushing, her hand shielding the side of her face. After a few moments silence she iniciated the pretence of brushing her hair back and returned her attention to her brother.

"You've never told me," she ventured, "How it happened?"

Glorfindel looked back at her, vaguely surprised, this remark had even caught me off guard.

"Beg pardon Ai?" he blinked, unsure of what his sister could mean.

"I mean Glory," Ailia leaned forward onto the arm of the chair and grinned at him teasingly, "That you have never told me the story of how you first met Ryn.'
'Oh I know the quick version," she raised her hand to halt his next words, "And I know that it is a painful subject for Ryn and complicated as far as Brenna goes, but that is where it really all started, that's really where it all began. If you understand me?"

She really hoped he did.

"Yes," Glorfindel sighed, as he wriggled back down beside Ryn, revelling in the warmth and comfort of her embrace, "Yes, I suppose you're right Ai. But Ryn's never really completely comfortable with this, she loved Reothed very much. He was her first love."

Glorfindel's gaze shifted, to the fire. Ailia was momentarily alarmed by the sight of the firelight blazing in his pupils, ringing by an icey blue.

"Glorfindel," she persisted, "There's no point....Ryn chose you and she loves you. For Elberth's sake......Look, please....."

Then came the look. Now Glorfindel never could hold out againist the look, a cheap tactic resorted to anytime any female he knew wanted anything! He could face down trolls and Balrogs, but againist the look?

This ranting, panting train of thought was cut short by Ryn's hands giving his own a gentle squeeze. For a moment, quite startled Glorfindel looked down, expected to see a pair of deep brown eyes looking back at him, but no, she was deeply asleep. Smiling quietly, he settled back down. That was one of Ryn's amazing talents, somehow she could always tell when he was upset and do or say just the right thing to calm him down. Even while asleep. Kissing her forehead, Glorfindel turned his attention back to the expectant Ailia.

"Ok," he muttered, closing his eyes and letting himself sink back into the pools of memory, "Let me think. Well I suppose it all began one starry night......

Glorfindal paused to look briefly at the ground at his feet. Yes, they had come this way, although because of their formation he could not descern their number of force. Moving again in a wide circle he checked the ground again. Curious, hoof prints. Men of Rohan no doubt hunting the creatures. If I were to meet up with them I could offer them my aid. The riders' trail appeared to be moving in much the same direction as the Orcs, I hope I can reach them ere battle is joined. Returning to his steed, Lechend, he mounted once more and rode off down the trail.

Not long after starting, the clear night air born the sounds of battle to his ears. I am too late, battle is joined. Drawing his blade in a smooth motion, Glorfindal spurred Lechend into a charge. Suddenly the sounds of battle ceased, the air grew quiet. Fearing the worst Glorfindal galloped onwards. After a while he thought a spied something ahead. Figures, two figures. And what appeared to be a mound of bodies. What is more the figures did not look like Orcs.

Reining his steed down to a stop, he called out in Westron, 'Hail fellow warriors, is the battle yet won? Is all well?'

[Edited on 28/11/2005 by LoremasterMiar]

[Edited on 28/11/2005 by LoremasterMiar]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 07:54
"I know little of you, but yet I do know that amongst evil creatures men who fall so evil are not to have mercy on. I shall help you revenge your friend's death... The people of this land do not need an evil man cloaked in a good face running amongst them. But we will not be able to face this on our own... I know some people who have walked this land for many years, I'm sure we could find them in the town... It's far too dark to follow the tracks tonight anyway..."

Rynwyn slowly drew her hand away from the sword. This was an elf! She had never met one of that race before, and it had always interested her- but now she thought nothing of her childish desires. Náriël had offered to help her find her friend's killer, but wanted to go back to the town before setting out.
"What if the trail is gone in the morning?" Rynwyn asked softly, trying to get a better look at the newcomer. "It's a long ride back to my home. By the time we returned we would only need to turn and come straigt back. And I do not wish to leave Reothed's body here for the sport of crows..."
Suddenly another rider approached, pulling a mighty horse to a halt and calling out to them.
'Hail fellow warriors, is the battle yet won? Is all well?'
Rynwyn said nothing at first, for she could tell in the moonlight that he was also an elf. Why were they in Rohan?
"I am no warrior, sir," she answered at last, "and we did not fight this battle. But it was certainly lost, and methinks that was the fault of a traitor."

(OOC: thanks for joining! ^_^ hops off to open OCC thread*)
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 12:32
Dismounting from Lechend, Glorfindel strode forth to meet the two figures, lowering his sword as he went. The starlight glinted off his shining mantle and there was a blue fire in his clear eyes.

I am no warrior, sir, and we did not fight this battle. But it was certainly lost, and methinks that was the fault of a traitor.

The words echoed in his mind, and stirred up emotions long buried deep and forgotten. "Treachery?" he muttered darkly, "Treachery."

At this he walked in a sweeping circle around the site, staring closely at the ground, and then at the bodies in the pile. After a couple of minutes he spoke again, addressing the human female.

"Lady," he said, "You guess the truth, I have seen the many cruel pursuits of the Orc race, but they did not play a major part in this attack. They would have devoured the flesh of their victims and not left it, unless under some unusual circumstance. As well this shaft," he indicated the arrow in the human male lain to one side, "is not an Orc shaft, and it is too well placed in terms of location for an Orc to have fired it."

At this he turned and walked right up to the second figure, stopping barely a centimetre away from her cloaked face, but he continued to address the young woman, "Are you sure that no came here before you? Are you sure that the traitor is not closer than you think? I can assure you that betrayal from within is a concept I am all to familiar with."

(OOC: You'll have to excuse the accusations, I'm just playing an aspect of my character. Glorfindel has experienced one of the Kinslayings, and so he has a great hatred of treachery and is especially suspicious of the situation when other Elves are involved.)
_mook_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 03:39
(Hi, I hope it's ok if I play Reothed's sister, Fae, she is in the db.)

Fae rode swiftly across the plains of rohan, it was growing darker by the passing minute, but she willed Jared onwards. Her brother had left with a scouting party, and she had snuck out of her village to join him.

As she spead around a rocky outcropping, she spotted three figures through the gloom. Their heads were bowed down, they seemed to be peering down at the ground, which was moist from a recent rain fall. "Hello!" She called out quietly, but in a hearty tone. Though as she drew nearer and dismounted her painted horse, her eyes darkened as she saw the familiar face, branded forevor with the look of pure pain. "Reothed!" Fae dropped to the ground and raised her hands to her face. "What..." Tears welled in her dark eyes and she glanced up. "Rynwyn... what?" But she could not hold her sorrow any longer, but nor could she beleive that her dear brother lay cold and dead before her. As she wept, she peered through her fingers and her eyes loooked on the rohan arrow. Suddenly anger filled her. "What is this? What is this treachery?" She stood up so fast her head whirled and she looked down again. "That's not Reothed, he did not die this young, too few winters and by the arrow of my kin?" She collapsed onto Rynwyn's shoulder. "It's not true!" Her words were muffled and filled with grief. "It's not true!"
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 03:32
ooc- gwalothuirien is my charecters mane but she has lived in roham for about a 100 years and is in the habit of calling herself by the name she was given there. her history will be expanded as time and need seam fit... I hope its ok if I jion. She is an elf but she clothes and arrows are of Rohon. As has become habit in Rohan she does keep the hair covering her ears to leave some doubt in the minds of those she does not know for she looks much like a small but taller young woman. very sorry for the long ooc i hope this length can switch over to actuall posts in the future.

Gwalothuirien rides slowly up to the group "Greetings this unfortunatley is not a happy or healthy time for it is plain to me that there has been a recent battle and lose of dear ones and I have no wish to intrude but with the potential of orcs in the area it seams wisest not to stay out alone. I am called Earendel, and this fine creature is Hyldo" patinng the mares neck reassuringly. "'I know that I have showed up at a bad time and I do apologize for that". She sides smoothly off Hyldo. She that rubs her neck some more as she waits for the others to take what she has said.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 05:30
Brenna cursed wildly when she checked her quiver. It had been at least half an hour now, why hadn't she realised before? Well it was too late now, far, far too late. There were twelve arrows in her quiver, or at least twelve 28 inch black and red fletched ones. There were also five shorter black flecthed arrows, but five when there should have been six.

Brenna dug her heels into her latest horse, Alvyn's, flank, trying to get her to go faster, before she realised what she was doing. She was running: to look guilty was to be guilty. 'But this time you are.' Her thoughts told her. 'I'm not!' she wailed back to herself. 'How was I to know that orcs were involved: I though it was a normal job.'

Brenna was an assassin, amongst other things. Her lastest target, a young man called Reothed, lay dead behind her; it was there that her last arrow lay. And now she was feeling something no assassin should ever feel: guilt. It was not that the rider was one of her own people, she had killed plenty of the rohirrim before, more that she had been tricked by the orcs, or who ever led them. The man who had offered her the job had seemed plain, normal enough: Brenna had seen no sign of darkness on him, only fear and worry.

Suddenly the usually firm-footed Alvyn stummbled. Brenna gave a cry as she was thrown from the horse's back, but she managed to gather herself. She rolled out of the way as Alvyn crashed to the ground. Cursing herself as a fool, Brenna stood, and went to Alfvn's side. Her leg was broken. Cursing more violently then ever, Brenna cut the mare's throat, feeling more guilt for the death of the horse then she usually felt for any of the men and women she had killed.

'What now?' Brenna thought, as she gathered her belongings.

[Edited on 12/3/2005 by purplefluffychainsaw]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 08:17
"It's not true!" Her words were muffled and filled with grief. "It's not true!"

Rynwyn supported Fae as she began to cry, and she tried to keep her own tears from welling up again. Her friendship had never been very close with Fae- they had often been jelouse of eachother when it came to Reothed, but that didn't seem to matter now. They shared their grief there in the cold night, one holding the other close. Rynwyn waited silently to see the female elf's reaction to Gloridfindle's accusation. Before anything more could be said, another elf appeared on horseback.

"'I know that I have showed up at a bad time and I do apologize for that". Earendel slid from her horse.
"It is no problem," Rynwyn said softley, wondering at so many elves in the area, "I will feel more secure as well... Fae?"
She pushed her friend's sister away and looked at her tear-streaked face, "Fae, I am sorry... we will find the one who killed Reothed. His death will not go unavenged."

(welcome, you two!)
_mook_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 09:13

"Aye." Fae stopped herself from looking down at her brother's crumpled form. It was true she had felt envious of Rynwyn. Her brother definetly had had feelings for her, but she felt like a shadow, that mearly followed him around.

"Why would anyone want... this?"

She frowned and looked away. "At least he died quickly."

"Why are there so many elves in these parts?" She wondered aloud, she, like many of the Rohirrim had never seen the fair faced people, but only now, three showed up. Fae returned to her horse. "I must return to the village, my parents...where shall I meet you all?"
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 10:14
I must return to the village, my parents...where shall I meet you all? These words borke Glorfindel's silence, averting his attetion from the female elf, who still remained silent, he turned to the others, "No good lady you must stay. I gather that you two are of close friendship to this man. Moreover you maybe able to help decipher the motive for his killing, so I feel that you and your sister should remain here for safety. It is more than likely that his murderer is still near, for such is a I read to situation. You two maybe be in danger as well, I beseech thee, remain here. There are good hardy folk here, and more importantly there is safety in numbers."

Walking back into the centre of the circle, near to the mound of bodies he faced the assembled group, and addressed them.

"I sense that there is foul work afoot tonight, evil at work still in the land of Rohan. There have been many wonderful and terrible events in Middle-earth, and I have witnessed many, but none like the murder of this man. I percieve a greater power of evil running deep, and so it is my desire to eliminate it before it grows. Therefore gentle women of the Rohan I offer to you my services finding this traitor, this murderer. But I feel that introductions are in order. I am Glorfinal Cellinnodir, of the House of the Silver Star, servant of the House of Fingolfin, and I offer to you my sword to aid in your quest for vengence."

Ant at this he knelt down in front of the two women, head bowed, in a posture of complete and utter devotion.

"Will you accept my service?"

(OOC: Sorry for the long winded speech, but this is how Glorfindel does things!)

[Edited on 12/3/2005 by LoremasterMiar]
Lady_Elbereth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 06:29
(Hello! Hope it's okay if I join! ^_^ My character *1 of many lol* is called Arien. She's an orphaned 26-year-old lady knight of Gondor. Not many know she took up a Gondorian shield and armor, because at home she hides it to keep from getting in trouble.)

Arien doubled over in pain. She had recently been in a battle and her wounds were healing just fine, but the pain still lingered. She pulled gently on the reins to stop her horse, Kira, a tall chestnut warhorse. The mare also bore Gondorian plates of steel on her face and chest, like her rider.

Arien removed her helmet, letting her copper hair spill over her shoulders as she strained to get a better view of the figures ahead. It seemed there were three, and one was laying on the ground in a crumpled heap. Dead...

The lady soldier placed her helm back on her head and urged her horse towards the three figures that spoke together, hoping they would not take her as a threat.

"Hail," she called out,"I am Arien of Gondor!" she added. She didn't want to get in trouble with these people, who seemed to be of the fair race of Elves, so she just blurted her true name, not the one she used to hide herself, which was "Halbarad".

Arien slowed Kira and then stopped the large mare, bowing low in the saddle.
"May I be of service, milord and miladies?" she asked politely,"I'm sorry if I intrude, or come at a bad time..." she added, glancing at the figure on the ground, "I know how hard it is to lose a loved one...for I have lost many in my life." she said gently, remembering the death of her parents and brother in battle.
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 06:42
"Treachery would be an understatement for what happened here... I personally never meet Reotred ( I hope that is spelled right ) but in my village just one back fron yours there are many whom I know that spoke his name as one of the most honorable and promising of the Rohirim.. A fact that not even him having a adventurous little siser could change. I feel that anything I had ging on can wait a while until justice is done on behalf of this good young man"
To glorfindel Earendel says" I would be honored aid you in any way I can to see that this trator is stopped before more good and honorable soldiers are cut down far to early in life"
While she does not say so out load part of her is afraid that the grand son of the one who took her in could be a target al well for he is also a good and honorable soldier.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 01:42
Brenna pulled the two halves of her bow out from under Alvyn's body, still spluttering curses. "Fine!" She screamed finally, kicking one half away from her. Brenna regretted this imediatly, and went after the broken yew limb, searching in the dim moonlight. Her sharp eyes soon found it, and she picked it up, shoving it with the other half in her quiver. They were far larger then her arrows and made the pack seem strage on her back, but she could put up with that for now. Checking her knives, or, more importantly, that they were still safely in their sheaves, Brenna started off in a northwesterly direction. If she remembered correctly there was a small village a little way off, maybe if she kept walking she'd be able to make it by sunlight. Then she could acquire a horse, and a the resourses to make a new bow, before heading off back to her meeting place to get the money she had been promised for the death of Reothed.

Brenna followed the stars, her bare feet making little marks in the soft grass, humming gently to herself. But she was only human, and she began to feel tiredness creap up on herself. Brenna forced herself to keep walking, singing now, focusing on the sounds she was making to keep her mind aware. She knew that she ought to sleep, especially as she would need her wits to gain a horse and a new bow, but Brenna also knew that she was likely to be pursued.

Brenna sat down abruptly. She had walked far enough for now, she decided. Wrapping her cloak around herself she attempted to sleep, half to stop herself from fearing that she would be pursued. Why would she? Brenna began to nod as the moon began his eastward trip, her hair falling over her face. After all, it was foolish to keep walking when she had no need to, she told herself as sleep over took her.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 05:13
And at this he knelt down in front of the two women, head bowed, in a posture of complete and utter devotion.

"Will you accept my service?"

Rynwyn was quite taken aback by the noble gesture of the elf. She lived in a small village and was not used to such formality, but she was touched deeply by it.
"I accept it glady," she said softly, but before she could say much else another voice broke the night. A woman of Gondor, it seemed, came forth on a horse.

"May I be of service, milord and miladies?" she asked politely,"I'm sorry if I intrude, or come at a bad time..." she added, glancing at the figure on the ground, "I know how hard it is to lose a loved one...for I have lost many in my life."

Rynwyn did not brother going for her sword- she supposed she had not been the only one after the orcs, though the others were probably after them for reasons other than hers. She felt now that she had little say it who helped. She would choose to leave the tracking up to the elves and to let them decide who would be best to help.

" I would be honored aid you in any way I can to see that this trator is stopped before more good and honorable soldiers are cut down far too early in life" Earendel spoke to Glorifindle, and another joined the group. Rynwin gave Fae's shoulder a squeeze- with such aid, they would surely find Reothed's killer and see him suffer. The girl turned her eyes on the corpse.
"Can anyone help me pile a mound over him, before we set out? The foul crows can peck at the orcs- but the men of the Rohirrim deserve a better fate, even after death."
Just as she bent down to close the glazed eyes of her friend she thought she heard a scream somewhere far off- fine!- but with the winds blowing it was difficult to tell. She dismissed the thought.

LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 06:46
"Many thanks Earendel for your offer, and with the lades' leave, I will gladly accept it."

"Hail, I am Arien of Gondor!"

Rising to meet Arien, Glorfindel looked concerned at her posture, "Madam, I see that you are in a great pain. Please give me leave to tend your injuries, for I am highly skilled in the arts of healing."

But the words of Rynwyn brought his attention back to matters at hand, "Come friends, let us clear these foul Orcs away, and make ready the grave for this brave warrior. Then once he has been tended to I would advise that we hold a council, to decide what is to be done next."
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 08:10
"You are most correct Glorfindel l soldiers deserve better then to be left for crows. I will begin moving the orcs away and they can be left for the crows. I am afraid I have no digging tools so will not be of mutch help in the mounding department" With that she turns back to Hyldo and takes a rope out of her pack and guilds the mare closer to the orcs. This makes the mare nervous she has no love of blood but with a few gently pats and words the mare quietly accepts having an orc tyed to her. We then walk some 50 yeads away and I untie the foul creature and head back for another. I wonder if the carsuses should be burn or left for crow either is too good for orcs.

ooc- this feels a little disjounted to me soory its the best i can do between coughing spells
Lady_Elbereth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 05:40
"Madam, I see that you are in a great pain. Please give me leave to tend your injuries, for I am highly skilled in the arts of healing." said the male elf, Glorfindel.

"I'd be much appreciative, good sir..." replied Arien, sending Kira to graze, "...but I think, for now, we should concentrate on clearing the good earth of these foul creatures." she said, shooting a sharp green glance to the dead orcs.

She began helping Earendel dispose of the carcasses, and whistled to Kira for help of dragging them away. The mare looked as though her misstress had just asked her to jump off a cliff, but accepted and trotted over reluctantly, keeping her distance from the carcasses.
_mook_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 06:25

Fae dissmounted and let Jared graze with the other horses. He gave a snort and trotted off happily. "At least someone is content." She muttered sadly under her breath.

After many formallities, which Fae tried her best to match in grace, she turned to the others. "Reothed wished to be cremated, and his...ashes spread accross his homeland, the feilds of Rohan." She said quietly, but the others seemed to have heard. "Besides, it will dissmiss the challenge of digging without the proper tools."
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 01:15
"Very well then, I shall gather wood for the pyre."

Glorfindel turned and left the circle and went in search of available combustible materials. He decided not to go to far from camp, but looking for wood gave him a good chance to search for the tracks of the assailant. His search area widened slowly out from the site of battle.

Yes, here was the Orc trail, and his own. The tracks also of Fae and Rynwyn, and Earendel. The most recent were the tracks of Arien of Gondor. There were also the tracks of the Rohirrim warriors. But wait a minute. There was another set, and another set of tracks leading away from the battle, on a mount as well. As far as he knew no one had strayed beyond the site of the battle, let alone in this direction. And from the depth of the impressions he would guess that whoever the rider had been, had been in a hurry.

Glorfindel now set off at a light jog, the trail was easy enough to follow, and the rider had taken no care to conceal his trail. Following the path of the steed, he came across the body of a horse lying dead on the ground. The beast's leg was broken, and it's throat had been cut. Once more surveying the ground Glorfindel located a large flattened path of earth and turf.

'The rider was thrown here, the steed must have stumbled, and he killed it to prevent his escape from being detected. Or possibly out of some vague hint of remorse. He is a sad being indeed if he feels more pity for a horse, than for attacked innocent young men by stealth. Still I must proceed cautiously, he is still nearby, and judging by the skill of the cut and the arrow is an expert at ambush. But do I go back for the others or hunt him alone?' Glorfindel mused to himself.

He performed one more sweep of the circle, and found the second trail, moving in much the same direction.

'Barefoot? What manner of being is this? He shows all the skill and travelling habits of a Silvan Elf, and yet the carelessness of an Orc. He will no get far on foot, and he will probably be tired from the fight. Perhaps I need not go on alone, but should take a few with me. At the very least I should return to inform them of my findings.'

Making his way back to camp, Glorfindel continued to pick up and add to his bundle of firewood, until he arrived back at camp. Stepping forward back into the circle he spoke to the group.

"Fae, Rynwyn, Earendel, Arien, I've found him. I guess that the killer is not so far away, as his trail is still fresh. He is also on foot and will not get far. The hunt is on, I advise we pursue as soon as possible."

[Edited on 14/3/2005 by LoremasterMiar]
Lady_Elbereth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 11:48
"Fae, Rynwyn, Earendel, Arien, I've found him. I guess that the killer is not so far away, as his trail is still fresh. He is also on foot and will not get far. The hunt is on, I advise we pursue as soon as possible." said Glorfindel.

Arien had removed her armor, she wore a light tunic under it, and was inspecting her wounds, sat down on a rock nearby. They were nearly healed, and she was merely redressing them.

"Right. Let me just get my armor back on and I'll be all ready to go." she replied, tying the dressings and suiting back up.

She then stood and whistled to Kira, who promptly arrived at the woman's side as she began making sure the horse's faceplate, breastplate, and saddle were secure. Kira sniffed at Arien's face as she worked, and pawed the ground nervously at the Orc carcasses.

Arien spoke softly to the mare and gave her a soft pat, then slid her slender yet strong hands into armored gauntlets, and mounted, waiting for her new companions.
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 12:13
"Very well," said Glorfindel, "But I would advise caution in this venture. This warrior is highly skilled, and we do not know his means or motive for this attack. And it may well be that he also has accomplices nearby, though I have found only one set of tracks. But as I have said, if we start now we will have the best chance of catching him, as he is on foot and the trail is still fresh. But I am only one voice in this group, what say you Rynwyn? I judge your view to be the most important in this affair?"

(OOC: Hey Guys, what do you others think? Do we pursue or do we wait?)
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 12:55
Rynwyn turned her eyes on the elf and was silent for a moment, considering. When she had set out to come after Reothed she had never intended on chasing a murderer through the night. But if this was the only chance to catch the one who had killed her beloved, she would not pass it up. The thought of facing a skilled warrior made her insides shake, but the anger overtook any fear she had, and she knew she'd best go before that flame within died out. Going to her horse, she swung herself up into the saddle and adjusted her riding skirts.
"I am prepared to follow you into any danger or darkness to avange my Reothed," she said, "Let us set the fire and be gone from here."

(I'd rather move on. ^_^ .. that way we can get into the excitement. if you dont think our fire will burn down all of rohan while we're not watching it 0-o)
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 01:50
Earendel spole quitely " not more then 200 yards from here in the opposite direction I have been bragging orcs I noticed a patch at least 3 maybe 4 yards around that was barren of all grass. From my experince in this area the wind is not likely to come up till some time tomarrow. So if you are OK with it we can move Reothed there and light the fire. There should be little danger of it going beyond the barren area it is after all a still night. Then we can all be the trail of the killer. I feel there would be saftey in numbers. If he is truly that close you say you who want to should be able to be back in a couple of days to spread his ashes as he wished" Though even as she said the last part she was by no means sure it would be over that quickly or simply but there seem to be a need for assuring words even if they turned out to be false.
_mook_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 03:06
Fae mounted Jared and after the group had transported Reothed to the place that Earendel had spoken of, they made a pyre. It burnt in a circle of large rocks, and before they carried on the hunt, Fae ushered a quiet prayer. The smoke driffted up, as the riders moved on, she could not help but look back. Her tears had been spent, and though she felt like crying then and there, it was too cold and the wind blew into her eyes, making them dry and blank. She looked down as they rode, and her intelligent horse just followed the others, as if it understood its master's silence.
Lady_Elbereth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 03:24
Arien looked at Fae, and thought about speaking with her to try and ease the pain of her brother, but thought better of it instead...

"She's in a great deal of pain...she looks as if she needs to be alone for a while..." she thought to herself, "Though I understand how she feels...I miss mother and father...and Ren..."

Ren had been Arien's older brother. Tall, dark eyes, dark hair...loving and caring of his sister. Arien and Ren had been best friends. Up until that day when his life was taken by an army of Orcs in a large battle.

Arien suddenly slipped into a memory of that day.........
She was lost in the flurry of the Enemy...Orcs surrounded her as she searched frantically for her brother, whom she vowed to keep safe from harm that day.

Ren saw her under attack, and charged into the crowd on his large buckskin warhorse, but the stallion was shot out from under him by at least a dozen Orc archers. He said a quick prayer and farewell to his beloved mount and moved on to help Arien. Her cries were heard not far off. She was trying to fight her way to her brother, when...

Ren was cut down...

Arien yelled and fought her way to her dying brother, and finally got to him...she cried and fought off the orcs, defending her fading brother...

She snapped out of the memory and found herself back on Kira, riding with her newfound companions, a tear brought to her eye by the memory...
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 10:47
Glorfindel crouched low in his saddle, staring intently at the ground. Moving a little ahead of the group, so to get the best view of the trail. It was easy to follow, he could do it even if there had been no stars or moon. But the conditions were perfect, ideal. Soon they would find the killer, the traitor, the murderer. Ancient rage boiled up inside of him once more.

Standing beside the funeral pyre of Reothed he has seen the grief and anguish engraved on Fae's, and the same on Rynwyn's. And yet there had been something else there too. Something that had brought back out memories, old memories, that should have been forgotten.

Fighting everywhere......Screams, shouts, death.

Death......Murder........Killing

Men........women.......children it didn't matter to them.

Brutality that he had thought only Orcs could show.

He could see her now, through the trees. Bending over two children, little more than babies.

She'd begged, pleaded, sobbed. They told her to move but she wouldn't, she wouldn't move. The blad was raised, and it fell. One..two..three times.

She fell, not moving.

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Suddenley he snapped back to reality, seeing the body of the horse in front of him. Dismounting from Lechend, Glorfindel drew his blade.

"We go on foot from here," he said, "Fan out and go quietly, stay in sight of each other. We must make sure we're the ones doing the ambushing here."

At that he turned and headed off, slowly down the trail, looking from side to side, listoning intently for any sound.

'But they hadn't been Orcs that had killed her,' he thought to himself, 'They were Elves.'
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 04:17
Earendel slide off Hyldo to spread out as Glorfindel had advised. She stopped to speak to her faithfull horse and with a gentle pat she knew without a doubt that Hyldo would come at a moments notice but would be quiet unless some danger approached form this direction. This thought reassured her because it is always a good idea not to leave your back ungaurded especially when dealing with traitors. Now Earendel moved off to one far side some distance, but always listening closely and keeping eyes moving. She know from sad experience that the minute believe you know where trouble is coming from it is most likely to pop up in a different direction. So she slowly moves forward with ( bow in hand and arrow on the string ) in line with the rest of the group. Even so she often looked back just to be sure nothing would surprise her from the back.

ooc- dont what to push this too far farward - dont want to step on anyones toes so to speak - but want things to start moving forward.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 04:37
"We go on foot from here," he said, "Fan out and go quietly, stay in sight of each other. We must make sure we're the ones doing the ambushing here."

Rynwyn did just as Earendel and dismounted, trusting Lightfoot to remain where she was. Slowly drawing her sword, the girl walked a few steps in a direction diagnol to Glorifindle, but the shadows seemed to mock her. She halted and peered into them, her imagination fabricating all sorts of monsters and villians waiting just a few steps ahead, preparing to pounce and kill. A shudder shook her spine and she looked at the elves, all moving about without fear, watching and listening. Rynwyn felt ashamed. Reothed was dead by a traitor's arrow and here she was, standing and trembling with the sword. Taking a breath, she forced herself to go on, peering this way and that and watching for any movement at all.

[Edited on 16/3/2005 by dreamdancer]
Lady_Elbereth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 07:26
Arien dismounted Kira and gave the large mare a pat on the neck, then drew her sword swiftly, trusting the mare to either stay put or follow along with her.

The tall armored woman gripped the hilt of her blade loosely but firmly enough where she couldn't drop it and it could move effortlessly in her hands. Her sharp green gaze watched for any sign of movement in the enveloped night as she moved slowly and cautiously.

Kira on the other hand had no intention of moving...she immediately found a nice patch of fresh grass where she was standing and put her head down to graze...
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 07:23
Brenna awoke suddenly, the fear of persuit heavier on her then when she went to sleep. She leapt up, and grabbed her things, re-starting her journey imediatly. Looking up Brenna realised she had had less then five hours sleep, and she still felt sleepy. Walking a little faster, she held her head high into the night breeze, hoping it would wake her a little. Brenna resisted the urge to sing again, knowing that if she was persued then it wouldn't be the best of ideas.

Suddenly, Brenna heard the song of a bird to her left... and then another, and another. A grey light began to creep over the horizion, just catching her left eye. A new day had begun. Brenna sighed in relief, and started to look for the familiar sights that would lead her to Otham, the village she was heading for.
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 09:48
Pale light was starting to grow in the sky by now, and the group moved on. Glorfindel stifiled back a yawn, they had been following this trail was a long while now, or perhaps he had lost track of time during this long night. But at last the day was coming, and by daylight a traitor would show himself.

The trail continued on straight and sure, this person knew where they were heading, this was no blind flight in panic as before, this was a steady and calculated retreat. His only comfort was that due to the lie of the land, there were no obvious places that an ambush could be laid, and due to the angle of the sun, their presence should not be revealed for a while.

'He thinks that he has escaped, and is not being pursued. Or at least the pursuit has just begun. Fool, he might well be on some kind of halfling pleasure walk in the woods. But he is still very dangerous, and must be treated with caution.'

Bending down once more to inspect the trail, he found a new point. The prints were deeper, there was a firmer impression.

"Signs of increased speed, could it be that he was cottoned onto us. No, it's a deeper heel impression, he would have lain in wait for us if he knew. But here he is simply increasing his speed so to reach his filthly hole quicker. Like a rat scrurrying back to it's hole," he remarked to Rynwyn.

Stopping and shading his keen blue eyes, Glorfindel scanned the terrain ahead. Yes, there is was a single dark figure, on foot, about a one league away.

"I spy our rat, and it's time for the cats to pounce," he said grimly to the others, "Ok, here we fan out, we must get around in front of him, block any routes of retreat. Once we have him enclosed we pull in and tighten the noose. But we must keep low, and not alert him until it is tol late. Arien, Earendel, you two take the left and the right, get around in front of him, and then move inwards. Myself, Fae and Rynwyn will get around the back and the sides. When I whistle thrice we attack. But remember, we must be steathly, he could easily bolt, keep low, show no naked steel, cloaks over armour. Once we've got him then we can decide what to do with him. Ok, let's move."

(OOC: Everyone ok with that idea?)

tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 10:54
ooc- ok lets catch up soon...

Earendel listened quitely to Glorfindel. As she did so she also looked a head and spotted the figure. After Glorifndel was was done speaking Earendel stated quitely " I for one am glad he is not clothed as a Lorein or we would not be able to see him this far away. Yes, I'm setting out now on the left. Low and quiet." At which she takes off at a fast trot still regularly scanning for other things that would be bad news right now with a trator so close at hand. She moves quickly and quietly forward till she catches up to the killer. She is a hundred yards or so off to the side and looks back to make sure the others of her group are in postion before actually going ahead of the killer.

ooc- never sure how far forward to push things with each post I hope this wasnt too far.
Lady_Elbereth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 11:53
((sounds good to me! I'll be careful how far I put my charracter, though...))

Arien nodded and threw a grey cloak over herself, and sheathed her blade. She called softly to Kira and the warhorse cantered quietly up to the woman.

Arien spoke softly to the mare and told her to come when she gave the command. The Gondorian moved with remarkable silence, for she bore armor and normally that would have made her steps a bit heavier and more noticable.

She moved around to the right and made sure the others were in position as she kept her green gaze fixed on the figure to her left. She was about 100 yards or so away, as was Earendel, by the looks of her position. Arien kept a grip on the hilt of her sword, ready to defend or attack, whichever was needed.
_mook_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2005 01:40

Fae circled darkly, on foot, as Jared was a short ways off grazing. Her hand was loosely on the hilt of her sword, and she held a poison dart, concealed under her dark brown cloak. Her leather armor made little sound, but she was itching inside to avenge her brother. She watched Glorfindel and turned to look at the murderer now and then. Fae crept low to the ground and made her way behind a small patch of shrubs.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email