Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First7891011
Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: The Lady of Rohan(anyone can join!!!)
on: October 12, 2005 12:11
" Every day that you are gone I will await the sound of your horse's hooves. But do not fear for Rohan, I will hold it together to the best of my abilities until you return."

She took his hands in hers and continued,
"And when you return, we can start the life that should have been begun our wedding night. We can start a family, eventually, and rule together. To this I will look forward to."

"As do I," Eomer answered, with firmness, and love rinigng in his quiet voice, and tucking Lothiriel's arm through his, "Come... let us walk for a bit," he said, and led his wife through the tents and campfires until they were on the outskirts of them, and the foothills of the White Mountains before them.

"One day," the King said, gazing around him, "I will show you the whole of Rohan... the Gap... the Westfold... from North to South... to the Eastern Border. Ahead of us," and Eomer pointed, "is the Eastfold... where my father hailed from."

Thoughts and vague childhood memories of Eomund flickered through Eomer's mind, but said no more on that subject. Lothiriel was lucky be so close to her own father... and yes, he and Eowyn had been loved and cared for by his Uncle as much as he had their cousin. - But, Theodred's death... and the Fall of Theoden at Pelennor Field were what had placed the Kingship of Rohan squarely on Eomer's shoulders. - And, of battle-deaths, he would not speak, either.

Turning to his wife, Eomer King smiled, both joy and sadness in his eyes. Joy that it was Lothiriel here with him... and sorrow that their time as husband and wife was beginning in such a way. Yet, a kiss shared, and whispered words of love were all he could give her on this eve of war. As they walked back to the main camp, though, as if to turn their thoughts away from the morrow, "Where should you like to see first in Rohan, my love?" he asked... for it was on their future he was determined to dwell...

"I wish you could promise me that you will come back. But if you failed to return . . . . " She broke off, tears filling her eyes. "I love you Namian but I'm scared to give you my heart. I don't want to be hurt again."

"I do promise it!" Namian's voice was firm, but was well aware a stray enemy arrow held no thoughts but to strike where it willed... and the best preparations were no guard against it.

Yet, "Who has hurt you, Ramo?" he asked softly, and tenderly brushed at the tears on his betrothed's cheeks. "That, I would never do!" the young Rider went on... and that he could give promise on, and kissed her lovingly to emphasize it.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 01:26
"Avanti." She spoke the name quickly, as if it pained her to think on it. "My mother." Ramo bit her lip "My life in Rivendell was not happy. She blamed me for her failures, and perhaps in a way she was right. Lady Avanti of Imladris never asked for a half-breed daughter." She sighed deeply. "There were times when she would become so enraged that she would beat me. I would leave the house we shared and go to the stables. That's where I met Dunen." She smiled at the memory of her Elven friend. "He was the first Tru-Elf I had ever met who treated me like a real person. He taught me to ride and fight. We were the best of friends." She paused, wishing that she had only happy memories to tell Namian of. But it was not so.

Ramo looked up at her bethrothed and green eyes caught blue and held. "When his parents found out that we were spending time together they were furious. They demanded that Lord Elrond do something." A tinge had crept into her voice, a ghost of her Elvish accent that she had banished years ago. "Dunen was told that he had two choices before him. The first and most desirable was to stop seeing me. All would be forgiven and life would go on as if nothing had ever happened. The second was never spoken but it was clearly a threat." She sighed again and this time there was a shuddering sob. "He refused to obey. He told me that he would rather die than betray our friendship. And he did."

I peeked through the crowds trying to catch a glimpse of Dunen. The scouting party had returned. True serving was not a pleasant experience but he was still able to talk with me on occasion. The wounded walk slowly and I shake my head. There's so many of them. But still there is no sign of Dunen. The idle chatter of those around my fall into silence as a litter is dragged through the streets. Dark hair falls over a pale face. Someone is screaming, a horrible heart-wrenching cry. It's me I realize, running from the city.

The memory flooded over her and Ramo clung to Namian as if her life depended on it. She could not tell him the rest. How her mother had demanded Dunen be sent to the border patrol, a suicide mission in the years before the Great War. The way she had run for hours before finally collapsing on a plain, half-dead from exhaustion. This was why she was so afraid of losing him. It had happened before, it could again.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 05:07
[OOC: Niela stayed behind, right?]

Lihtfota watched as the riders left - Ramo alongside Namian. She would not be needed until Lothriel returned, and the minstrel sighed at the thought of a few slow, meandering days ahead. Edoras was unnaturally quiet - there was an ominous feeling in the dusty, still air.

She turned to make her way back in and look for something to occupy herself with, but then spotted Lothriel's maidservant leaning against a corner pillar, sorrow and apprehension etched into every line on her fair face. Out of a lack of any other pressing duties to attend to, the girl moved closer.

"Niela...?"
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 04:17
(( I wasn't sure, but that's okay))

Niela turned and saw Lihtfota approaching.
"I'm glad to see you have not left. I would have been very alone if you had." She said quietly.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 01:16
Lihtfota grinned.

"I would have been quite so alone too - Ramo is off riding with Namian..." she paused, knowing she was nearing dangerous ground, but she was oh so very curious, and now she had the chance.

"I'm sorry about what happened with Navinai." Lihtfota said quietly.
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 03:47
"Oh."
A hot blush spread over her pale face.
"I hope you don't hold it against me. Thinking back I suppose I was very naive. I haven't had much practice seeing through deception."
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 03:54
Lothiriel laughed softly.

"By the end of this battle, I shall be well acquainted with Edoras, so anywhere else shall be suitable."

They made their way back to camp as the cold of the night deepened and men began to settle down for sleep. A guard was posted and Lothiriel went to her saddle bag and took out an extra cloak and blanket. She spread it near the fire, next to Eomer, and after biding him goodnight, Lothiriel drifted slowly off to sleep, her eyes resting on Eomer until sleep coerced them shut. Tomorrow he would have to leave her.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 04:20
"Dunen was told that he had two choices before him. The first and most desirable was to stop seeing me. All would be forgiven and life would go on as if nothing had ever happened. The second was never spoken but it was clearly a threat." She sighed again and this time there was a shuddering sob. "He refused to obey. He told me that he would rather die than betray our friendship. And he did."

The memory flooded over her and Ramo clung to Namian as if her life depended on it.

More tightly than ever he had, did Namian hold his love. And then, "Tell me, Ramo," the young Rider asked softly, and with her hand, touched the pouch resting 'round his neck. "Did Dunen... did your friend have such as this to guard him from harm? Did he carry the sight of your beautiful eyes into battle with him the way I do?" and although there was little he could say, Namian just held Ramo until morning's dawn broke the blackness of night.

When it was time to leave, "I wil be back, Ramo my love!" Namian swore to her, and with a last tender kiss, swung up onto Firefox's back. Yet, as they headed out, his eyes rested on Ramo until she was blocked from his sight, and then turned his gaze forward onto the King...

Little did Eomer sleep, unwilling to lose one second of gazing upon Lothiriel. In the cold of the daybreak, it was with a reluctance he'd never experienced that he gently touched his wife's face to waken her. "We must rise, love," Eomer said sadly.

Their final farewell... for the King of Rohan, was inwardly almost more than he could bear. - Outwardly though, he betrayed only with his eyes how he hated them to part... knowing that he would be worrying for her as much as Lothiriel would for himself.

"Rohan is yours, Milady." Eomer's words were 'formal', but his tone nothing such. Gripping her hand tightly, he kissed it... his wife's lips, and her cheek. "Until I return, Lothiriel... and then, it is ours!" Whispering, "I love you!!" into her ear, and wishing he didn't have to, Eomer then turned and was up on Deorfohta's back. "We ride!" the King ordered in a firm, strong voice. Without looking at either Aragorn or his elven-lady queen, the King of Rohan set the Rohirrim into a gallop. The sooner they were there to meet - and defeat - the orc-invaders of Ithilien... the sooner he could be back by Lothiriel's side...

[Edited on 16/10/2005 by gwendeth]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 01:12
Lihtfota shook her head with a small, wry smile.

"No hard feelings. Navinai can be quite... charmingly innocent if you don't know him well." she sighed for lack of a better word.

There was a long, awkward silence.

"So..." the minstrel pressed bravely on. "Do you have anything to do for now? Because I don't think I have..."
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 01:17
"No." There were no other words to speak and Ramo simply let him hold her until dawn broke the horizon to a cold clear morning. She pulled Namian's cloak tighter around his shoulders as they said goodbye. "I love you Namian." The tender words were whispered but were full of love and a deep sadness. Reluctantly she pulled away from his kiss and watched her fiancee ride to war. Her eyes stayed on him until the call came to break camp. She went to Lothiriels tent and began packing away the few things that the Queen had brought with her.
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 03:51
Lothiriel watched Eomer fade into the distance and stood as a statue for a time, almost at a loss of what to do. She soon roused herself and seeing it was only her, Ramo and a few guards left, she suggested they pack and head back home. Only now it would be so different, so cold and unfamiliar without Eomer. Lothiriel shook these feelings off and boarded Anor.

They rode in silence for a time and then Lothiriel turned to Ramo and said, " I hear Namian is to be part of the King's eored. That is a great honor to be sure." She paused and continued, "I can feel your pain Ramo, at least some of it. I fear for Eomer as well but I believe that he will come back to me, hopefully unhurt. As for Namian, he is a strong warrior, why else would Eomer have him ride in his eored? We must turn our minds onto other things until they return. Though to what, I am not certain."
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 02:30
Ramo lifted her chin confidently as they rode ahead. "I am proud of Namian. One so young does not often become part of the Kings Riders." She smiled slightly and turned to her Queen. "Perhaps you would help me. I need to make a wedding gown. Something simple but elegant." Her green eyes sparkled. "I wish to wear it when Namian returns."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 06:46
After a time, as he'd done the previous day, Eomer slowed the pace again - this time, to a steady trot. Finally looking over at his Gondorian counterpart, the King of Rohan spoke.

"If your Lady will not mind, old friend - will you ride ahead with me for a bit?" and Eomer bowed slightly from his saddle to Queen Arwen. Receiving a nod from the elleth, he then spurred his stallion into a canter with Aragorn on his heels, and then once more slowed so they could talk.

Still, it took a bit before Eomer sighed heavily. "You'll have to forgive me, Aragorn," he commented, and shook his head at himself. "It's not you... just this whole situation. 'Duty' I will not shirk - to you, or anyone, but I find myself... 'jealous' of you and Arwen. Less than two weeks have Lothiriel and I known each other - and..." falling silent, there wasn't much else the King of Rohan could say.

Turning to the task before them, Eomer inquired, "Have you thought on which 'plan' we should present to Faramir first? Namian's comes to my mind - but I'm thinking it would be better used as a follow-up to the initial battles."

To himself, Eomer pondered again on the young Rider's idea: The Rohirrim, riding in a 'wedge'-formation to divide the orcs into two groups might work best when their enemy was already weakened.

The King's Eored, of course, would lead it, but with Gondor's soldiers on one flank... Ithilien's on the other... and the elves (if they were there) circling around behind, their forces *ought* to have the final victory. Though, with Ithilien's proximity to Mordor, orcish reinforcements were all to readily available...

"What do you think, Aragorn?" Eomer asked again.
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 05:27
OOC: I believe I am Aragorn

Aragorn nodded and replied," I would think that way would work the best. It would certainly cut their strength in half which would be an advantage. We should set an ambush behind us and if they tried to flee we could cut off their escape. I will speak to Imrahil when we reach Minas Tirith, where he will meet us if the message has reached him, and have him and his forces man the flank." Aragorn then addressed Eomer's previous concern.

" I was forced to wait 60 years before I could take the hand of Arwen Undomiel in marriage. I had many trials to face and many things to prove myself worthy of. But in the end, our marriage was all the more sweeter for it, as yours will be. Take heart, my friend, and fill your mind with the task at hand rather than the lady left behind. Do not think I mean to be harsh; rather, I would try to ease your pain in this way."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Prince Imrahil and his convoy reached Dol Amroth on the third night since they left Edoras. The Prince went to the stablemaster and said in a low voice,

"That boy, on the horse behind me is to be under your charge. He is in need of better manners and a better work ethic so I leave him at your disposal. Put him to whatever task you find suitable for him." Imrahil then turned and untied Navinai and said,

"You are now under the command of the stablemaster. You are to do as he says." And the Prince turned and left. He had barely crossed the threshhold of his palace when a messenger came to him saying that Eomer and Aragorn requested his aid against an invasion of orcs near Ithilien. The Prince nodded and gave orders to assemble a company of men who were to be ready to leave for Minas Tirith to meet Aragorn by tomorrow. He sighed. Was there no rest from this madness?

Meanwhile, the stablemaster eyed Navinai suspiciously and guardedly introduced himself as Lemiel. He handed Navinai a pitch fork and pointed him to the rows of stalls that were reserved for the calvary of Dol Amroth.

"You can begin by cleaning these."

Unknown to Lemiel or Navinai, a pair of deep blue eyes belonging to a young woman were watching and listening to everything they did and said.
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 01:51
Niela shook her head and smoothed her spring green gown.

"No, not with my mistress gone."

She looked up at the young musician.

"What do you do when no other urgent needs press you? Do you ride?"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 06:20
Take heart, my friend, and fill your mind with the task at hand rather than the lady left behind. Do not think I mean to be harsh; rather, I would try to ease your pain in this way."

Eomer's brow furrowed... was that not what he'd been attempting to do by discussing the plans? but only nodded in response. There was no way to 'ease' this... not for him... but no more did Eomer speak of anything but the coming war. It wasn't the first time he'd held war-councils on horseback, and he could only wish this would be the last.

And, over the long miles between Edoras and Ithilien, Eomer continued on in that vein. What was inward, was inward, and only he knew how often Lothiriel's face wavered before his eyes.

Yet, for the King of Rohan, the nights were as long as the days, if not longer... for though Lothiriel was ever on his mind, it was in the quiet of sitting by the evening's campfire, when there was only 'idle' talk to fill one's thoughts, that Eomer missed his wife the most.

They camped on the banks of the Mering Stream on the eve of the second day... crossing it the next morning; and by doing so - truly leaving Rohan behind.

In Gondor they were now, and by mid-afternoon on the fourth day, Queen Arwen's keen elven-sight spotted the faint outline of Henneth Annûn in the distance. From messengers sent by Faramir to alert them, Eomer knew they'd be meeting his brother-in-law at that old Gondorian stronghold.

On the new day, as Aragorn's Lady headed South to Minas Tirith, the host of Rohirrim at last set foot in North Ithilien. Turning to his counterpart, "There, Aragorn!" Eomer said, and pointed into the distance. Before them, they could see horses approaching at speed, with banners streaming out behind. "Can you tell if Faramir's with them?" he inquired, shading his eyes from the sun's glare. "Or, Imrahil? - Are any of them elves?"

For Namian, riding in the King's Eored wasn't much 'different' than it had been in his old Company. - As always, there were the long hours of travel; Firefox to tend to in the evenings... along with removing every speck of dust from his mounts (as well as his own) gear.

Yet... upon occasion, he'd been called forward to ride with Eomer King... and with the King of Gondor and Rohan's Marashals. - During which, the various war plans were further discussed.

Often, however, Namian had noticed his Ruler removing the glove from one hand, to grip the Pendant still worn around his neck. - A gesture the young Rider understood all too well... for he did the same. - And, as now, before dismounting his stallion at Henneth Annûn, Namian touched Ramo's gift tucked beneath his trail-dusty tunic.

And, each time he did, Namian repeated the phrase he knew both he and she were now 'clinging' to with each beat of their war-separated hearts: I will be back!!

[Edited on 19/10/2005 by gwendeth]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 01:09
In response to Niela's question, Lihtfota shook her head.

"Not all the time - though I must admit a good ride is very much welcome... Would you like to? I believe you haven't seen that much of Rohan yet, and there are some truly magnificent sights this time of the year..."
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 01:24
Navinai took the shovel without comment and began to systematically clean out the stalls. After a time he knew that he was alone and set his tool aside. After glancing around for any watching eyes he pulled out his letter to Niela and read it over again. He did not know if she was pining for him or even if she thought of him at all. Still, it was best to hope. She was the only link he had to his home-land.

The ride home to Edoras was long and tiring. Ramo was silent unless the Queen spoke to her, but she too seemed to be lost in her thoughts. Time and time again her mind replayed the words Namian had spoken to her before leaving. I love you, Ramo. But more important than that was his promise to return. Her practical side screamed that it was only a fool would hold to such an oath as no one could insure that it would be kept. Still she knew that her love would do everything in his power to come back to her.
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 11:03
Niela smiled. "Wonderful. I believe Rohan scenery is growing on me and seeing more of it is always welcome. You will have to help me chose a mount though. Just let me change out of this gown. Shall we meet down at the stables? "
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 01:18
With a nod and a grin, Lihtfota took off to the stables.

[OOC: Apologies; this post is CRAP. Will edit when I have time! Sorry!]
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 02:03
Lothiriel smiled when Ramo mentioned her wedding dress.

"I am very happy for you Ramo. I would love to help in any way that I can. Will you fashion it after the elvish style or will you adapt it to match the Rohirrim traditional dress?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The keen blue eyes watched Navinai as he sat and began to read or write, she couldn't tell, a letter. Fury rose in her heart. How dare he disobey her father like that! He had asked this boy to clean out the stalls and that was an order that was to be obeyed, as the other hands knew well. She stood up from her hiding place and angrily made her way to where Navinai was. Placing her hands on her hips, her eyes were like ice when she asked,

"What do you think you are doing? There is work to be done Master Sluggard and the task that was assigned to you is not getting done on its own! Get up, and I shall show you how the stalls must be cleaned."
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 03:17
"Rohirrim M'lady. I left the Elven race long ago." A faint smile curled her lips. "It will only be a small wedding. Close friends like you and Eomer King and of course Lihtfota." Ramo brushed her hair out of her eyes and sighed. He will return.

Navinai stood languidly and tucked the letter into his tunic once more. "I know how the stables are to be cleaned Lady. However if you wish to do them for me I will not stand in your way." He grinned in an irritating manner as she only seemed to grow more upset with him. "Come now you don't even know who I am. How would you feel if you were becoming angered with a prince of Rohan?" He cocked an eyebrow at the girl. "I suppose you would feel rather foolish." He reached out a hand for the shovel and continued to muck the stalls without another word.
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 05:59
"A prince?" she spat angrily. "You are no prince, anyone could see that. Your insolence is like that of a lesser man, of a race lower than the orcs." She threw him the shovel and grabbed another as she went to the other side of the stables to work. Why she hated him so, she did not know but after hearing the exchange between the Prince and her father, she knew he had been in trouble before and probably would get into it again before long.
The women and the guards reached Edoras just before nightfall and retired to bed early, for there seemed to be nothing other to do for the present. Morning found Lothiriel working in the garden besides the Golden Hall. She had cleared the weeds and pruned the bushes to prepare it for winter. The blooming flowers were dying and turning brown as they fell to the ground. A chill breeze rushed through Rohan and seemed to find its way into the very hearts of the people. Lothiriel cleaned herself up and prepared herself for the audiences shortly after.

She entered the hall arrayed in her royal robes and crown, accompanied by Lihtfota. Nerves seemed to consume her but she concealed them well as she took her seat and the heralds proclaimed she was now holding audiences with the people. The cases she dealt with included a dispute over property, a boy accused of stealing food, a man found guilty of killing another man's horse, and so forth. Lothiriel relied heavily on her own instincts but listened to the advisors as well. When the audiences finished, she went to see Cene and asked how the child was faring.

Cene brought Arquen to her and Lothiriel took him into her arms. His bright eyes stared at her as he reached out for her hair. She smiled down at him and told Cene, if he did not mind, she would like to take care of him until Eomer returned. Cene conceded and bowing, he left.

Lothiriel went to Ramo's quarters to see if she could help with her dress. Showing Ramo Arquen, she said,

"Isn't he just beautiful? It's a shame his mother did not want him."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 11:06
No answer was needed to Eomer's questions, for the group coming to meet them arrived soon enough. No elves were there... but alongside his brother-in-law, the King of Rohan was not surprised to see his sister. - And, so, too, was Prince Imrahil.

Armored and helmed in the fashion of her first homeland, she was, and Eomer was both glad... and sorry to see Eowyn jumping off her horse. Yet, there was time for little more than a sober greeting. First there must be the Council of War, and the discussions of battleplans to take place.

To his inward embarrassment at being summoned to join it; and placing himself as far back from the Kings and Princes as they talked, Namian listened intently to the options - as well as the speakers. Positives and negatives were gone through with great care, and before nightfall the first one was in place.

Wondering how long it would take them to overcome the orc invaders, Namian went back outside at the meeting's conclusion. A quick meal, and the young Rider was preparing Firefox for the first assault. It wasn't his own suggestion that would be tried tonight, but Namian held no opinion on that score one way or another. Night fighing was dangerous - and exceptionally so for the Rohirrim. - But, with orcs unable to do so in daylight there were few other options available.

And so, when full darkness was upon them, Namian urged his stallion into their place, and with his eyes straining through it, the young Rider followed his King into the first of who-knew-how-many battles...
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 11:11
After Niela changed, she headed off to the stables. She froze in the entry as an overwhelming sense of sorrow erupted up through her
. Navinai had shown her around these stables, told her the horses's names, let her stroke the foals...
But that was over and done with.
She hoped she hoped her riding skills were decent compared to Lihtfota. The people of Rohan had always been known as excellent riders.

Then she saw the girl herself.

"Lihtfota. Have you chosen your mount?"

Niela would relish the time spent with someone new and Lihtfota seemed kind hearted.
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 12:21
Navinai laughed as she began to feverishly do his work for him. "You misunderstood me Lady. I did not say I was a Prince. I simply asked how you would feel?" His blue eyes sparked teasingly. He finished his row of stalls in silence then turned to her with an elegant bow. "Navinai of Rohan, recently exiled. And who might you be?"

Ramo had gone straight to her rooms after returning to Edoras. After changing into a fresh gown she found the bolt of ivory fabric she had stored away. She ran her fingers over the fibers and smiled. The gown would be beautiful, especially if Queen Lothiriel were to help her.

"Isn't he just beautiful? It's a shame his mother did not want him." Her green eyes dropped to the fabric in her lap and a blush filtered over her features. "It is a shame. No child should be unloved." She bit her lip and fought the tears back. Ramo cleared her throat and looked up at Lothiriel. "I had hoped there would be flowers for me to carry when I wed Namian but it seems too late in the year. I suppose I'll have to find something else."
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 02:01
She stopped shoveling and looked at Navinai coldly. A long pause ensued as she debated whether or not to tell this boy who she was. Finally she spoke.

"My name is Melui, daughter of Lemiel and you shall come to dread this name if you become slack in your work." This was no idle threat for Melui had been raised with the other stable hands and years of hard labor had made her stronger than most.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Nonsense!" Lothiriel exclaimed. " The red sage flower has not withered yet, nor has the purple of the lavender. In fact, I shall go to the garden this instance and uproot some and transplant them indoors so that when Eomer and Namian return, the flowers will be ready to pick." Lothiriel wrapped a blanket about Arquen and hurried out of Ramo's room.

Setting Arquen carefully on a bench, Lothiriel dug up five of each kind of plant. Picking up Arquen, who had just begun to become fussy, she hurried back indoors and replanted the flowers into pots that she set within her room.

Lothiriel returned to Ramo's room and rocking Arquen, she commented on the fabric.

"That is beautiful fabric Ramo. It will look wonderful on you." At that moment, Arquen began to cry and apologizing, Lothiriel hurried out of the room with him to find him some milk from the kitchen. The servants smiled to her as she passed and she thought she must look ridiculous, a young Princess trying to care for a child, but she shook off these thoughts as she smiled back. Cene heated up some milk for the child and Lothiriel fed him as she headed back up to Ramo's room.

"I suppose this is good practice for when Eomer and I have our own children."
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 04:12
[OOC: Er... there seems to be a bit of a mix-up... I think Lihtfota and Niela are a *little* behind time - they're still at yesterday morning... Ok I'm *assuming* Lihtfota already went for the ride and it's the next day, after Lothriel and co. returned, yes? I'm really, truly sorry about the absolutely lousy quality of my posts these days - but things look like they might just clear up soon. I'm hoping.]

In response to Niela's enquiry, Lihtfota nodded and proceeded to tack up her own horse - the bright bay she called Briar. Realising Niela didn't have a mount of her own, though, she also selected one of the "common" horses - those that were shared by almost everyone who had need of a mount - a light grey palfrey she knew to be an easy ride, and they rode out.

Things had been slightly awkward at first, to say the least. Neither girl was to sure of what to do or say to the other, but in the end they had settled for a short leisurely ride, with a lot of admiring the scenery and not much talk, but enough, perhaps, for both to form good enough impressions of each other, and they promised to speak again when they found the time tomorrow - maybe over dinner?

The next morning she awoke to see that Lothriel and Ramo had returned - sometime about late last night, then, she supposed, along with the other Riders' wives and sweethearts. The queen indicated that Lihtfota was needed to assume her job as translator the minstrel hastily changed into formal attire and joined Lothriel.

When the audiences were over Lihtfota was dismissed, and she went to seek out Ramo. She found her friend in her room, talking with the queen, and Lothriel was holding a young babe. Curious, she knocked softly on the door.

"Ramo? Milady?"

[Edited on 22/10/2005 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
Eveligh
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 06:47
((Thank you so much to Gwen for leading my to this thread and to EowArwen for having me play the role of Eowyn! :love: I Hope this is alright, if not, please let me know and I shall edit! And just back tracking a tad! ))

Returning to Edoras to sing as her brother was wed had brought much joy to Eowyn. And yet there was a sadness to her return to the Golden Hall, to see the hall gleaming at a distance as they had neared to see the wild spread of plains about its splendor. And to meet with friends she had not seen in a long while. Indeed Edoras and its Hall was not a place that one could so easily forget nor the scent that was sweet on the air. Long had Eowyn's heart desired to be taken far from Rohan's feilds and to be held as a Queen but now that she dwelt once more briefly in the Hall she found that memories were a flood upon her.

In the morning light Eowyn stood upon the stair of Meduseld as she had often done once before. Bitter news had come and she closed her eyes at the press of the wind that came, the banner's wavering in the pale dawn. How saddened she was to learn of the pressing attacks on the dwellings surrounding Ithilien and yet more so for Eomer. The news had come no sooner after Eomer and his love, Lothiriel were wed and it could not have come at a more horrid time. All of Edoras lay silent in the rising dawn, pale shifts of sunlight broke through the clouds and shone down on the Hall. Meduseld shone and Eowyn felt something within she had not felt in a long while, greif.

The doors of Meduseld soon parted and at the sound Eowyn's eyes were opened and Faramir was near, they were to leave Edoras and return in all haste to Ithilien. There at Henneth Annun, once a strong hold would she meet with Eomer once more and their forces meet also. There was no delay and soon the steed of Eowyn, the ever faithful Windfola, was readied and she was clad for riding. No chance was there to bid fare well to friends nor her brother and swiftly those of Ithilien departed. Upon the fields did Eowyn briefly look back before she rode on, Ithilien was in need of aid.

~*~
The days passed Faramir and Eowyn in a bitter blur for worry was heavy on their minds now, for Ithilien and its people. And now Faramir and his company made ready to depart and through the host of those gathered and ready to follow Faramir, Eowyn came. Grit with her sword and clad in the gear of Dernhelm was she.
"Surely you did not think that I would stay to mind the house?" Eowyn said in a grim teasing manner and Faramir smiled to her as Windfola was brought forth and Eowyn was shiftly mounted. The banners of Ithilien were many and the rippled with pride as Faramir and his host rode from forest land.

On nearing Henneth Annun the faint banners of Rohan could be seen and with Eowyn's breast her heart leapt. She had thought this feeling long dead since she had vowed to look to healing and growing things but it seemed it was not so. When the two proud companies met Eowyn sprang from the saddle and without hesitation their talk began. But ever did Eowyn stand listening with worried eyes that looked to the three she held the greatest respect for but mostly did they now linger to Faramir. Then lastly to Eomer, she worried for her brother that he should be drawn for Lothiriel so soon and yet her mind would now have to be set once more on talk of War and the fight that was to come.

((Gah! Not the best but hopefully enough to get Eowyn more active Thank you again for allowing me to join! ))
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 07:02
((Welcome to our thread Eveligh :wave:
))

That evening Lothirel and the rest of the women returned. Niela had no opportunity to see her friend that night or in the morning since the queen was holding audiences.
Instead she decided to seek out Haelana and see how she fared.

She felt happy and lighthearted, a welcome change from her previous gloomy moods. The ride with Lihtfotahad gone well if a bit awkwardly.

The young woman seemed please to see her.

"Niela! It's good to see you. I must say I'm glad to have someone to talk to, what with...with all the men gone."

She gestured Niela into her chambers and moved aside some colorful piles of needle and thread.

"Please excuse the mess. I enjoy embroidery very much and do it constantly as you can see."

Niela smiled with genuine delight. "Oh I do too. It's a wonderful hobby."

"Would you like to see some of my finished ones then?"

The next half of an hour was spent looking at all of Haelana's work. She really was good at it. Most it were carefully detailed scenes from old legends and history. Finally Niela stood up, reluctant to go but feeling as if she must.

"Well its been lovely to see you. But I really must b-"

"Do you see much of the king?" Haelana interrupted.

"I can't say that I do normally." Niela replied puzzled. "Most of my dealings have to do with the queen."

"Oh of course. What foolishness." Haelana laughed merrily. "Excuse me, I'm sure you have other things to do. Thank you so much for coming. Perhaps next time you can ask if one of the musicians would come up here and we can work on our embroidery together."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 07:58
(( ok, lol, can you tell Eveligh and I are eager over this? This is a joint between her and me!! :hug: ))

After the war-council, Eomer knew he should eat, but was in no mood to. Dare he think one battle enough to clear the orcs? Grimly, he knew better than that. While Aragorn and Imrahil tended to their own... and Faramir, too, headed off, the King of Rohan paused under a tree to gaze Westward for a long moment. A step behind him, and Eomer turned, tearing his mind away from thoughts of Lothiriel. And, smiled solemnly. "Eowyn!" he greeted his sister.

The War talk for now was at an end and Eowyn saw chance to talk with her brother. Watching after Faramir a moment as he went. Eowyn took chance. The night was silent and so too were the men, the feeling about the camp was one that Eowyn had thought forgotten. Nearing Eowyn found that Eomer heard her approach,
"Hail brother!" She made a small jest yet her smile soon faltered.

Glad it was his sister who stood there, Eomer rested a hand on her shoulder for a brief moment. Nodding at her armor, "At least this time you don't have to 'hide' your fighting," he half-teased, yet his voice was depressed. Aragorn had been 'right', Eomer's concentration on the fight was needful, yet once again, his hand rested on the pendant 'round his neck. "Do you ride with the Rohirrim?" Eomer asked her, " - Or, will you be at Faramir's side?"

Eowyn held fast her brother's gaze and bowed her head to him when he had come to look over her gear. But her gaze faltered as she fought to answer his question,
"That is still before me for ever would I wish to ride with the Rohirrim once more my duty now falls to Faramir also." Catching where his hand now lay Eowyn gave a nod of her head toward it in question feeling that she need not ask for often did her eyes speak for her.

Abruptly, Eomer dropped his hand. "You should be at your husband's side, sister," he stated, more bluntly than he'd wished. "It's better to be on the ground in night-fighting, anyway," the King of Rohan went on, rather jealous that Eowyn could do so, while Lothiriel... and sighed. "How can I keep my mind in Ithilien, Eowyn - when my heart is in Edoras?" he then inquired.

"You know I'd never let Faramir down... and not once have I not ridden at Aragorn's side... but this time, it's different."

Eowyn took a step nearer to her brother and this time it was she who placed a hand upon his shoulder in a comforting way. Tightly did her small hand hold to it, she felt for her brother now more then she had ever done so before. Uncertain of what words would bring comfort to Eomer, Eowyn gave her reply.
"I know you too well Eomer, I know that you would not abandon allies or anyone lightly. But when war summons what choice have we? Different it is but now you have reason to fight the harder, to see her once more and to have her rule Rohan beside you."

"That is so," Eomer nodded, and his gaze hardened. "For her, and us, and for all, I will lead the Rohirrim, sister... and we will drive the orcs cowering back into their loathsome caves ere this war is ended!"

To this Eowyn nodded firmly:
"Indeed we shall!" And there for a moment they stood silent, Eowyn's gaze looked out over the night. Pale was the moon and the light that it gave and silent still was the camp and rare was the chatter behind them.

Following his sister's gaze for a moment, Eomer's was unfocused. The moon's rising heralded the coming battle, and though their conversation was short, for Eomer, it had helped. "Come, Eowyn," he said, "The fight is upon us now. Go, be at Faramir's side. I and the Rohirrim will be at your back. We will speak again in the morning when the orcs retreat from the sun."
Strong the King of Rohan's voice was, and determined to overcome their enemies, Eomer called for his stallion to be brought. "Westu, Eowyn hál!" and he bid his sister farewell, "Be thou well in this battle!"

"Westu, Eomer hál!" Eowyn replied and watched as her brothers stallion was brought. And before he mounted Eowyn embraced her brother but when his mount was near she watched as he sprang to the saddle and as he turned Eowyn whispered after her kin, "Westu hál." And her mind was now turned to battle, she would fight beside Faramir and she would fight for both Rohan and for Ithilien.

Threading his way back through the trees to where the Royal Eored was awaiting him, Eomer first stopped for a last solemn word with Aragorn and Imrahil. "We're ready," he assued them, and turned Deorfohta away. Upon reaching his countrymen, Eomer King nodded to the First Marshal. Glimpsing Namian within, the King of Rohan gave the word, and the Rohirrim moved out to await their chance to fight…
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 01:36
((Welcome Eveleigh!!))

Her morning had passed in a flurry of idleness, if that was possible. Between feeding the babe the Queen would sit and visit with Ramo but the handmaidens mind was not in Edoras. Rather it dwelled on the battlefields with one particular Rider. She did her best to wrench her thoughts from Namian and be cheerful and pleasant but she was hard put to accomplish the task. When Lothiriel had solved the problem of the flowers and commented on the fabric she was forced to enter into conversation.

Ramo was just beginning to show the Queen the delicate weave of the ivory fabric when Lihtfota entered her chambers. "Good morning my friend! My heart cheers to see you again." She smiled and rose to greet her with a hug.

"Thank you for the warning Meliu. I will take it to heart though I doubt you will need to carry it out." He smirked and laid his shovel aside. "What more is there for me to do M'Lady? I don't suppose you will allow me one idle moment while I am in Ithilien."
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 03:28
OOC: A very big welcome to you Eveleigh!

"Indeed not," Melui replied shoveling more swiftly. "You are not here as a friend, nor ally so I shall not treat you as such. Yet, I am curious, much to my downfall, why are you here?"
Lothiriel smiled as Ramo and Lihtfota embraced and she excused herself from the room to give settle Arquen down for the night. She laid him in a wooden cradle besides her bed and lightly covered him with a blue sheet. His eyes blinked softly and closed and Lothiriel smiled as she trailed her finger down his cheek. He had made such strides since he was left here not 2 days ago.

Lothiriel rose and dressed in a warmer nightgown and settled under the sheets of the bed she and Eomer shared. His side seemed so cold and empty and she tried to concentrate on falling asleep, but to no avail. She rose and paced the room and finally, she drifted off into dreams. Her dreams were all about Eomer though, and each one showed him in some kind of trouble or peril. Lothiriel would awake during various periods of the night and puzzle over why these dreams were so troublesome to her. They were just dreams after all or were they? Surely they could not be foresight into the future! With these dread thoughts, Lothiriel went back to sleep to wrestle with the nightmares that haunted every moment of her sleep.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 02:21
[OOC: Welcome Eveleigh!]

Lihtfota allowed her friend to pull her into an embrace, and studied Ramo intently. She looked perhaps a little happier than when they had last met, and the minstrel chanced a guess.

"How went the ride? And how's Namian? What's been happening?" she laughed, realising she was falling back into her old habit of asking a whole string of questions all at one go, but she couldn't resist a last one. "And whose child is that?"

She motioned to Lothriel's retreating form, disappearing down the corridors.
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 08:54
Ramo smiled broadly and sat back down. "Slow down my friend. One question at a time. The child is a little boy named Arquen. I'm not sure how he came to be here but the Queen has taken him in. I'm sure she's greatful for something to occupy her time." She fingered the soft fabric in her lap again. "The ride went as well as could be expected. As for Namian do you think you could help me fashion a wedding gown from this?" She held up a length of the ivory silk to Lihtfota. "I have promised to be his bride if he returns." She bit her lip and corrected herself. "When he returns."

Navinai shook his head. "For telling what I perceived to be the truth. I wished to save someone from grave harm and was instead accused of lying and treachery." His blue eyes clouded. "And I have been seperated from one whom I care for. Have you ever lost someone Mlady? It pains me more than being removed from my homeland."
<< First7891011
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email