Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First7891011
Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: The Lady of Rohan(anyone can join!!!)
on: October 24, 2005 11:34
It wasn't that Eomer didn't like trees.

On the contrary, the green woodlands of Ithilien were quite pretty.

But what was bright, and cheery in the daylight, held unseen and unforseen dangers in the darkness of night.

Bogs and marshes dotted the landscape. And, while 'inconvenient' for land-forces, for the mighty Rohirrim, they were a curse.

And, Eomer was quite aware that those on foot were faring not badly in this first battle. He could hear it, in the yells and clangs up ahead.

But, the King of Rhoan did curse, when the word was given and he urged Deorfohta forward. In train behind the combined forces of Gondor and Ithilien, horses a-many lost their footing, and became mired. Staying mounted was difficult, and with orcs seeming to pop up from the 'nowhere' depths of the watery mud-holes, it was even worse; since it was all too easy for a Rider to become 'lost' in watching his mount's footing and then find himself facing two or three of their enemy with no warning whatsoever.

Off-balance, Riders were dragged from their steed's backs, and if not killed outright, they were wounded and left... to sink... by the weight of their armor - and sometimes their horses, and slowly drown.

His own sword bloody from fighting, and bearing a slice from one fool orc-blade that had managed to land, the King of Rohan fumed. Hampered by what was 'useful' to their enemy, Eomer knew he'd not been mistaken: it was much better to not be astride at night in a place like this...

Struggling to maintain his balance, Namian bravely fought on through the night. Several times Firefox had almost been 'caught' in a bog, and it had taken much to keep his already high-spirited stallion from bolting when orcs happily slogged through the marshes with their crude blades swinging to meet his own.

Battle-trained Firefox was, but not for this. - Yet, throughout it all, never was Ramo far from the young Rider's thoughts...

(( Hopefully this is okay... nasty fighing conditions to say the least... ))
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Eveligh
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 05:47
((Thank you for the welcome! :love: ))

Now making way through the gathered Ithilien force Eowyn searched for Faramir. And there he stood a little away from his men, his eyes searching before him.
"What do you look for?" she asked as she neared and Faramir turned to smile gravely to her,
"So many things." He answered and behind them could be heard the sound of Ithilien's force and the Rohirrim making ready.

Faramir then held Eowyn near and he dared not ask if she were to ride with Eomer for it was said clearly on her face all that was needed to say.
"My Lord?" And with such simple words Faramir and Eowyn were drawn away to battle. Looking to Faramir, Eowyn took her helm and steadily replaced it. For a breath they stood looking to the other as the men walked about them.

Taking up helm and sword and bow the Men of Ithilien were to go ahead of the Rohirrim, to walk in the forest land. And grateful were they that they new well the land for there were many a thing that waited to trip. With swords drawn they took caution into the woods. There were the sounds of movement about them before all fell silent. Few scouts were sent ahead but the manner in which they returned was not encouraging for their bodies were thrown from the forest about them.

And next the force Ithilien knew, the orc mass was leaping from the trees. With a swiftness Faramir disposed of all of those within in his swords reach. But still more came, like a great tide through the trees.

With a great cry Eowyn struck at each foe that dare to near her and when all were fallen about her it was she who leapt forth to slay forth more. A battle fury that she had not felt in the longest of times was on her once more. The sound of battle was all about and coming were the cries of Rohan's steeds as the orcs desended on Eomer's eord.
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 03:54
In the early morning Niela went down to Lothiriel's rooms in order to make sure they were in order for the day. She knocked gently on the door and felt a little silly seeing as Ramo would probably already had done everything.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 01:00
Lihtfota's hands went to her mouth as she fought to hide her grin.

"Oh that's wonderful, Ramo! He actually proposed?"

The girl was suddenly aflutter, loooking the silk and Ramo over with an appraising eye.

"Oh this is *nice* cloth! Of course I'll help! Have you told anyone else about the arrangements yet? Who's formalising it?"
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 03:45
Melui did not respond. She knew that the Prince Imrahil would not unjustly take anyone back as a prisoner, so she thought it would be better to get away from this boy's lies.

"I must go, the stalls are to be cleaned out by noon. You shall pay dearly for it if they are not." Melui then left to tend to the garden that Lothiriel had so lovingly planted and cared for. It was now her charge since Lothiriel was gone and it needed to be prepared for winter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lothiriel rose later than usual and stretching, she went to her closet and pulled out her soft, velvety robes of sky blue to wear. The dress she wore beneath them matched the color well and was skillfully embroidered on the sleeves and bodice. It had a steep neckline, after the elvish fashion, and wide sleeves. Lothiriel pulled this on and then donned her robes after. Soft fur outlined her robes and she pulled them tighter to keep out the cold.

Lothiriel went over to Arquen, who had also begun to wake, and wrapped him in his blanket. As she was doing this, a knock sounded on her door and she went to answer it.

"Niela," she exclaimed. " It is good to see you! Will you meet me in the hall for breakfast? I must find something for Arquen to eat and then you and I can catch up on things over a bite to eat, if that is alright with you. Do not bother about the room for now. You can straigten it out later."
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 04:04
"Of course." Niela replied. "I will see you there."
As she whirled away down the hall she realized that a good conversation with Lothiriel was just what she needed right now. Even though she could not rejoice in Eomer's absence she did feel it would give more of a chance to talk to her friend.
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 01:03
Ramo blushed and laid the fabric down. "Slow down my friend! You are overwhelming me with your questions." She smiled and shook her head. "Yes Namian proposed. You and the Queen know, I haven't had time to tell anyone else. The ceremony will be small and quiet. I doubt there will be much formality to it." She hugged Lihtfota once more. "But I promised Namian not to worry so I am trying to think of other things." He will return. She reminded herself.

Navinai shook his head as the girl sauntered away. She was so sure of herself. And she certainly did not like him. He shrugged and went back to mucking the stalls, although a familiar task one his disliked immensly. He hummed softly to himself and turned his thoughts to Niela. Perhaps he had been foolish in using her as he did. She was a good woman and deserved better. If he only he could find a way to get his letter out. He touched the parchment again absently. She would smile again.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 06:06
The first hint of dawn's light was the unspoken 'signal' for the orcs to retreat... though Namian was well aware it was no such thing. One minute he was fighting for his life - and the next, the horrid creatures just seemed to 'melt' away into whatever darkened hiding place they could find.

Searching the area through his weariness, though, the young Rider was frustrated that he could find no sign of the enemy.

A horn sounded, followed by others, and Namian slowly turned Firefox at the recall.

Bloodied, and battered, both man and horse staggered through the slime-pits and over bodies of both Humans and orcs and back to Henneth Annun.

And, it was with intense relief that Namian spotted the familiar white horse-tail of Eomer King's Helm amongst the survivors. - For that, he thought darkly, was what they were. Their numbers were depleated - though how badly was yet to be known.

Yet... and although the young Rider could tell his King was as weary as everyone else, a 'fire' of determination was burning in Eomer's eyes. "Get some rest!" he ordered curtly to them all, and gazing around, the Rohirrim's leader met every eye he could... including Namian's. A small nod to many, and though he turned to obey, for himself - as the others, it was their tired mounts that were tended to before any thought of sleep entered Namian's mind.

And, when he did, at length, find a small patch of grass on which to lay down on, Namian's hand was clutched tightly around Ramo's pouch...

Refusing anyone else's assistance, Eomer checked Deorfohta carefully for himself, when - finally - he had assured himself that all his Riders who could return - had done so. Fuming at the lessened numbers when the reports were made, Eomer shook his head. 'Long' he'd expected this war to be... but it seemed now it would be even longer.

Eschewing rest; and aching in mind, body, and spirit, the King of Rohan gripped his wife's pendant-gift tightly as he made his way to the Command-tent, and refused to release it at all. To his relief, he saw his sister already within... and Faramir was there speaking with both Aragorn and Imrahil also.

"Well?" he inquired, and though he smiled briefly at Eowyn and stood by her side, "What are the losses on the ground? Mine are far too many. The horses are of no use here! Not unless we can force the orcs out into the plain between Ithilien and the Mountains of Shadow! - That is not one of the plans we've yet discussed. Can it be done?" he asked bluntly.

(( OOC: FYI - I'll be out of town this weekend... see y'all Monday!! ))

[Edited on 28/10/2005 by gwendeth]
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2005 12:46
((Circumstances beyond my control dictate that I be away from the computer for a length of time. I'm not sure how long I will be gone but I plan on being back online as soon as possible. I apologize for any inconvenience to you. Feel free to use my characters until my return))
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 09, 2005 05:36
(( OOC: Just so y'all know - EowArwen's having computer problems... This is just a small 'wakeup' so it's not forgotten. ))

By the time they'd finished discussing the night's fighting and the options available to them, Eomer was exhausted. After a brief word with his sister, the King of Rohan sought such rest as he could find.

Yet, it was difficult to sleep, for though Lothiriel was ever in his mind, it was when all was quiet that Eomer missed her the most.

And, when he finally did fall asleep, dreams of his beloved new wife filled Eomer's thoughts... and upon waking, the Ruler of Rohan was in no pleasant mood at all...

EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2005 05:01
OOC: a BIG thank you to Gwendeth for fixing my very retarded computer problems

Lothiriel waited for Niela to return and when she did, Lothiriel began the conversation.

"Are you doing alright here, Niela? Are you making new acquaintances? It seems as if we never get the chance to speak with each other and I hope everything is going well with you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melui watched Navinai closely as she worked. He was handsome but he seemed too arrogant for his station. He had not told her the exact extent of his crime but her mind wondered. Pulling a piece of stray hair back, Melui stepped outside to catch some fresh air. The sky was becoming darker; a storm was on its way.
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 04:28
(( Yay. I'm glad everything is fixed now!))

Niela smiled. "I know, but that is natural. You are a queen now. And being an excellent one too. I have spoken to few women but nothing beyond mere pleasantries really. And what of you? Have you been making friends with any of the court women?"
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 08:42
"No, I am afraid I have not given much attention to that at all. I've been too absorbed with the impending battle and Arquen that it has slipped my mind. However; there will be time for making acquaintances later." She paused. " Yet, there is nothing I can do to sway the outcome of the battle from here. I hate waiting; it eats me up inside to not know what is happening in Ithilien."

Lothiriel rose and folded her arms as she looked out the window into the rolling plains beyond. "This battle haunts my every moment, waking and sleeping. I cannot rest for if I do dreams torment me." She stifled a sob. " Voices in my dreams tell me he is not coming back; that I am utterly alone. And if I do wake, I am left to wait all the day for Eomer's return. I will go mad, Niela! What is there for me to do? I have audiences to attend to and Arquen to care for, but these are only mere breaks in my day!" Lothiriel sat back down at the table and stared blankly into space.

"Perhaps I was wrong to love Eomer in the first place." She looked at Niela. "If I had not loved him at all, I would not have to risk feeling any pain at our parting."
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2005 04:52
Niela watched Lothiriel, stricken. Somehow it was deeply disturbing to see her friend so frightened and sad.
"I...."She began and then stopped. Her only real incident with love had ended in pain and she could not say it had been worth it.
"I am sorry, I am not the one you should be asking."
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 09:15
Lothiriel turned to Niela. "Do not mind me, Niela. I just needed to give vent to my feelings." She gently rocked Arquen and said,

"I think I will go for a ride through Edoras, Niela, as I have seen so little of it. Feel free to do as you wish today, for my quarters are not in need of straightening as I did that last night. I will see you later tonight."

Lothiriel left the hall and giving Arquen to Cene, she left for her room. Once inside, she rummaged through her closet for something common and not ornate. She did not wish to parade through the city as a queen but as a mere traveler. She finally found a brown dress that would be suitable and putting it on, she slipped out of her quarters into the stables.

"Anor, I would take you with me, but I cannot for then I would be recognized. But I promise you when Eomer returns, you will be my steed of choice." Lothiriel said patting him on the nose. Instead, she chose one of the common horses that were used by the messengers and rode out into Edoras.

Lothiriel soon realized that a horse was not the preferred means of travel, rather it seemed as if everyone was on foot. She quickly hopped off and tying the horse to a post near an inn, she proceeded through the town.

There was a bustle of activity as Lothiriel passed the markets. People were buying, selling and trading and everyone's voices mingled together to create quite a din.

"How about a nice necklace for the beautiful lady?" a merchant called out to her. Lothiriel whirled around, startled but then regained her composure and smiling shook her head.

"Have I seen you somewhere before?" he asked.

"No, you must be mistaken," Lothiriel replied and hurried off in the opposite direction. A bunch of loose chickens hurried across her path as their owner desperately ran after them, yelling in Rohirric. Lothiriel couldn't help but laugh as she stepped out of the way.

She was soon past the marketplace and into a different part of the town. Children ran up to her asking for coins of any sort. Lothiriel did not dare give them any for fear that she would draw too much attention to herself or cause a disturbance so she claimed she had none to offer them. They went away disappointed but soon found someone else to ask.

One building stood out from the rest; it was made of large cut stones and many people were going in and out and some sat just outside. Lothiriel entered and when her eyes became more accustomed to the dark, she realized what this house was used for.

It was two stories high and dimly lit with as many beds as could be crammed onto a floor. It was like the Houses of Healing in Gondor but not as refined. Women went back and forth from bed to bed with basins and herbs and Lothiriel stood watching with curiousity.

"What ails you milady?" a male voice asked from behind her. Lothiriel turned to see a man with blonde, shoulder length hair and keen green eyes. He scanned her face intently as he waited for her to reply.

"Nothing, my lord." Lothiriel said. " I was just passing by and wondered at what this place was."

"You are not from here then," he said. " This is the place where people come to be healed of whatever ails them. I am Hamar and I am master of this house."

Lothiriel nodded as she looked about. "You are a great healer then?" she asked.

His face showed no expression but his eyes lit up with laughter as he replied, " I do not know about great, my lady but a healer, yes. I was taught by my father and he by his and so on." Hamar paused and slowly said, " Now, I can place you. At first, you appeared to be one of the elf maidens from Rivendell or Lothlorien. But I had forgotten that the queen of this land is of elf lineage. " He began to bow but Lothiriel quickly stopped him.

"I beg you not to, I do not want to draw attention to myself."

"Very well then. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No, I... must be on my way." Lothiriel answered and she curtsied and left.

The sun was high in the sky by the time she returned to hold audiences and as heard each case, her mind often drifted back to the place of healing and the keeper of it. Curiousity still burned within her and she very much wanted to find out more about it.
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2005 06:37
OOC: Merry Christmas everyone! I hope everyone has an enjoyable Christmas spent with family and friends and a very happy new year!!
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 05:36
((My DEEPEST apologies to everyone for being gone so long. Life has been scary around here. Scary in a good and very hectic way. I've been through two seperate surgeries with another quickly approaching. We're in the process of adding two to our family and that takes up much of our time. Anyways Again I am sooo sorry! Happy Holidays to everyone))

Ramo ran her hands through her hair, desperate to bring it into some semblance of order. Finally she gave up and tied it back with a piece of small ribbon. She wandered the halls until the crying of a child caught her attention. Cene shoved Arquen into her arms "Here, he needs a womans touch. Do with him as you will just sop his howling." She chuckled and cradled the babe close. Slowly she made her way back to her rooms and sat in the window, sunlight bathing them in warmth. "You are much loved. No one will harm you." Her voice was low as she crooned softly to the Royal ward. "You will grow to be strong and courageous like Eomer King. Do not cry Little One. Take comfort in these words, for they are true." She kissed his fluff of hair and smoothed it over his head. "So small. Do not worry"
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2006 05:45
Each day seemed to drag on as if it was an entire week in itself. Lothiriel often looked to the horizon for Eomer and his mighty calvary but saw nothing but dying grass. Winter had come and snow lightly laced the ground. Lothiriel's mind often drifted back to the House of Healing and she decided she would return, to ease her mind and perhaps find counsel.

Lothiriel arose early the next day and after dressing she walked down the side stairway and into Edoras. Though it was early in the morning, there was still plenty of activity to be seen. Lothiriel made her way to the House of Healing and hesitated before she entered. What reason had she to give to the master of the house for returning? She could think of none but entered anyway.

After her eyes once again adjusted she looked about for Hamar. And as before he seemed to come from nowhere although this time he recognized who she was right away.

"My lady," he said and slightly nodded. "I would ask you what brings you hear today but I think the answer would be rather uncertain, would it not?"

Lothiriel's eyes dropped. She didn't know what to say. She wanted so very much someone to speak to and someone to take the torment of her mind away.

"Come with me," Hamar said without waiting for her response. He led her to a bed on the farthest corner of the house. A small boy lay there, wandering in a fever.

"Would you like to heal him?" Hamar asked.

Lothiriel was a bit taken back. She thought his question was rather random and did not make much sense.

"I do not know what you mean, my lord. I do not have any skills of healing to speak of."

"Have you ever tried?"

Lothiriel paused. "No, but.."

"Take his hand," Hamar said.

Lothiriel looked at him questioningly but did so. It was so tiny in hers.

"Put your hand on his forehead," Hamar said. So Lothiriel did so.

"What do you feel?" he asked.

"He is hot to the touch." Lothiriel said.

"There is more to the matter than that. Why does he have this fever?"

"I do not know, perhaps he stayed out in the cold too long."

Hamar shook his head. "If only it was as easy as that. Look." And he showed Lothiriel the boy's back. It was scarred with whip marks that had not fully healed.

Lothiriel looked up at Hamar and asked, "Who did this?"

"His master did and then left him for dead."

"Surely this did not occur in Rohan?!"

Hamar looked up solemnly. "Where there is good, evil lurks nearby."

"His master should be imprisoned!" Lothiriel said.

Hamar smiled bitterly. "My lady, I admire your sentiments but there are more men that whip their slaves than I can count. The only part I can play in this terrible cruelty is healing that which has been broken. Take this." And he handed Lothiriel a basin of water and a cloth. "Come and get me when he awakes."

Lothiriel nodded, lost for words and gently mopped the boy's back and forehead. An hour and then two passed but she did not feel it. All of her concentration was on the boy becoming better. After the third hour, Lothiriel stopped putting water on his wounds and began to sing to him softly. She felt so sorry for him. He awoke shortly after.

"You are awake, that is very good." Lothiriel said smiling. "I thought you might sleep all day!"

But the boy did not answer. He merely looked away.

"What is the matter child?" Lothiriel asked taking his hand.

"You are going to send me back to him, are you not? That is what he told me. Whoever found me would send me back to him to be his stable boy again." and he tried to keep back the tears.

"Oh no child. I will not let him." She stroked his hair. Hamar came up and looked on the child and smiled a bit.

"You are the one who rescued me! Thank you sir! Thank you so very much!" the boy cried out.

"Shh, boy." Hamar said glancing quickly at Lothiriel. "You must never speak of such a thing again." Hamar then winked. "It shall be our secret." He then turned to a woman on his right and instructed her to get him something to eat.

"May I speak with you in private, Hamar?" Lothiriel asked sternly.

"Of course, my lady." And then walked outside.

Lothirel turned to face him. "Did you really find the boy 'left for dead' as you say? Or did you steal him from his master?"

"I would lie and tell you it was the former but you are too wise for that. I did indeed steal him from his owner. I make no excuses for my behavior; do as you see fit with me."

Lothiriel paused. "I shall do nothing 'with' you, my lord. In fact, it seems as if I don't recall spending my morning caring for a child after all." And she smiled slyly. "I shall not speak of it to anyone but you must at least reimburse the owner."

"I shall," and Hamar bowed. "You should be leaving for your audiences. I hope you were somewhat comforted today."

Lothirel looked at him. She had not spoken of why she had come but he had known. She dropped her eyes and thanked him then left. He had taken her mind off of Eomer and that was a relief. She was tired from worrying and wondering.
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2006 03:55
((Ok I'm taking liberties. Gwen-hope you don't mind dearest ))

Lothiriel became increasingly busy over the next few weeks and Ramo found a simply joy in caring for Arquen. The babe kept her mind off the danger that her beloved was very likely in. On this day the Queen had audiences to attend and the little boy slept in a basket while Ramo did some mending that had been long overdo. A warm fire crackled in the hearth and she sang on old Elvish song as she worked. Then it happened something sliced through her heart and the linen shirt dropped from her hands onto the plush carpet of the Royal bedchamber. Tears filled her eyes and Ramo pressed a hand to her chest. "Namian-- Valar, no." She was having trouble breathing and she closed her eyes, trying to control herself "He's fine. It's nothing to worry about. Stop it." But she couldn't shake the feeling that something was extremly wrong with her love. "Namian...."

Navinai settled into routine in Dol Amroth rather easily. He often thought of Niela and though he hadn't found an opportunity to post his letter to her yet he was constantly adding postscripts to it. Melui constantly avoided him but she always seemed to be there, watching him. From time to time he would attempt to engage her in conversation but she remained distant. It was raining hard on this day and he had completed his tasks. He sat on the ground, drawing symbols in the dust at his feet.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 09, 2006 05:12
(( OOC: That's just fine, LizzyB! - Just to let you all know, I'm working on a post... hopefully, I'll get it done and up by tomorrow. ))
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 05:25
(( Sorry it's taken so long to get this written... Hope it's all right!))

Weary from nights of fighting, Eomer King was becoming frustrated with the lack of progress. - This had to end! he thought, for he got little rest during the daylight hours the orcs went back to hide in their 'holes'.

Each time he tried to, as soon as his eyes closed, the vision of Lothiriel's face - always present in his mind, came clearer to the King of Rohan's memory.

Lonely for her... and wondering how she was faring, not even the chats he managed to have with Eowyn helped much at all. At last, Eomer had had 'enough', and broached Namian's plan to Faramir, and Aragorn, and to Imrahil once again.

"Nothing else has worked," he told them all, and shot a glance at his sister. "We have to try!" Eomer went on firmly, and as the kings and princes discussed it, alterations were made that they all hoped would allow it to succeed.

Yet, three more days and the accompanying long, bloody nights passed before all felt it should be tried.

And, when the night finally arrived to attempt it, Eomer spent a short time with Eowyn and her husband that evening before heading to lead the Rohirrim into battle. But, all too soon, it was Time, and the King of Rohan strode to his horse. His face 'set' in determination, he waited until all was in readiness.

"Forward!" Eomer called, raising his sword as he had so often… his voice strong, and clear in the deep forest's gloom. On either side of the Rohirrim, were the combined soldiers of Gondor. Aragorn leading the left flank… Faramir and Imrahil the right. - And, of course, Eowyn was right at her husband's side…

Namian was tired… much too tired as he swung up onto his horse's back. He felt no 'thrill' that his 'plan' (though 'altered') was finally being tried. - And, as so often, he clutched Namo's pouch with one hand before slipping on his gloves. Was she thinking of him? he wondered. Had the Rohirrim been gone so long that she'd have changed her mind about him? - Did she still want to be wed to him?

Depressed, and lonely for her company, Namian wearily brought his stallion into their place… noting the straight back and proud demeanor of his King.

Eomer, he knew, was near exhaustion… but the man let no 'sign' of it show. - But, they were all tired… horseman and soldier alike. - And, Namian could only hope that soon they'd begin to get the upper hand on their enemy… and then, the order was given.

The fighting was intense… and grimly, the forces of Rohan and Gondor pressed forward. This night would prove to be 'critical'. If they didn't succeed, it could be many more months before anyone saw their much-missed homes again.

Battle cries resounded in the air… mixed with those of the wounded, and dying - on both sides. - Yet, forced ever backwards, the orcs were beginning to (finally!) 'falter'… and then, they 'broke'., and by morning, they'd been routed… and all knew the orc's threat had been beaten. - But, the 'cost' was heavy.

As the First Marshall threaded his horse through the dead and dying, trying to ignore the wounded's calls for aid, his heart suddenly chilled, and he was off his mount and shakily knelt to the ground.

A young Rider… Namian, he recognized, was severely wounded… the shaft of an arrow buried in his chest. - Unconscious, he wasn't dead, not yet, anyway… but calling for aid, the First Marshal thought the young man would survive.

Yet, clutched in Namian's bloodied fingers was something else… a helm, with a long, white horse's-tail adorning the top. Desperately searching the bodies nearby, there was no sign of it's owner. - Almost roughly, the man shook the injured Rider's arm… and with a groan, Namian blinked himself into a painful 'awareness'… but the First Marshal didn't care.

"Namian!" he snapped, urgency, and anxiety coloring his voice. "Namian! Where is the King?!?!"

[Edited on 16/1/2006 by gwendeth]
LizzyB
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 04:00
Ramo massaged the sore spot on her chest. "No you're dreaming. Get hold of yourself." She touched the babe's basket. He slept on. Tears flooded her eyes as she caressed Arquens tuft of feather soft hair "Dearest one, sleep on."

Days passed and no word came. Ramo had spoken of her premontion to no one. But as each hour came and went with no message from the troops she became more distracted. She constantly stood at a window, wringing her handkerchief between her hands. She found it near to impossible to concentrate on any of the tasks that were given her. Finally she knew it was time to speak to Lothiriel. "M'Lady. I have been holding something back from you I'm afraid."
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 04:34
Lothiriel turned to Ramo and asked, "What Ramo? What is it you have kept from me?"
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2006 06:04
((Hey guys. Glad to see people are back I hope this is okay, I'm probably a bit rusty.))

Niela found her days to be busy but her work calmed her and kept her mind off her troubles. Lothirel had many tasks as well but Niela was learning to accept the fact that they both lead very different lives.
She visited Haelana quite often now and they had many good times practicing embroidery together and gossiping. Haelana brought up the subject of the king many times and seemed to regard him very highly. She always asked after him but Niela had very little news.

Very little news that is until one day as she was about to enter Lothiriel's room she heard Ramo speaking.
"M'Lady. I have been holding something back from you I'm afraid."
Niela paused and willed herself to step away, she knew better than to eavesdrop but she somehow could not bring herself to do it.
Eveligh
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2006 12:26
((Sorry for my absence but here's a little something from Eowyn!))

The soldiers of Ithilien grew weary of the evenings for it meant then that soon they would be called into another night of battle. Day was the only time in which they were permitted rest or little sleep for it was then that the orcs would flee into the shadows from the harsh daylight. Faramir knew his men grew tired and he himself longed to give the word that they were to return to their homes. Already they had lost such a number to the orcs.

The Kings and Princes grew even more tired as the nights passed and no progress seemed to be made. It was then Eomer called them and gave to them a plan he had set before them previously. And Faramir agreed that nothing else had proved successful. What else had they to try? And so with a look to Eowyn, Faramir gave his agreement.

Yet three more night passed before all agreed and arrangements were then made. The time had come that they try such a plan and Eowyn and Faramir spent a little time with Eomer before they made ready to leave. Eowyn had seen that her brother’s thoughts lay elsewhere as they seemed to now so often. Often had her own mind wandered and dreamt of plains away from Rohan and now her brother only dreamt of them. After the time with Eomer, Eowyn left him in worry and Faramir sought her before they were to at last test this plan. They spoke for a while on comforting things and recalling many others before Faramir again was called for.

“It is time.” He said and briefly did he hold her hand in his before they made toward the assembling. It had seemed that Eomer’s call had woken her from some dream and it was as though she woke to find it in waking before her eyes.

They had pressed forward and the fight had been grim and Eowyn fought with all the strength and will that she possessed and that her tired body would allow. It seemed the Rohir soldier’s plan was successful and as she fought on Eowyn knew that if such a plan had been tired long before now, the cost of such a fight would not have been so high. With a final cry Eowyn felled the last of the orc threat about her and as she looked about then it seemed they the threat of all these orcs had been beaten back.

Faramir stood a little way from her and across his face was a gash. As she made toward him she suddenly halted and looked about then as she had not seen Eomer and nor could she find him now. The worry of Eowyn was clear and Faramir bid her to find Eomer and yet she seemed hesitant to leave her spouses side.
“I am well enough,” he stated “go and search for him.” And with that Eowyn went calling for Eomer by name as she did so and she saw not her own hurts.

[Edited on 31/1/2006 by Eveligh]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 03:51
Desperately trying to clear his head, "The King?" he whispered - and then, "He's not here?" Namian gasped, and despite the healer leaning over him, the young Rider struggled (painfully) to sit up.

"His - his h-helm..." Namian got out, and then clenched his teeth as the offending arrow was removed. - And... as he wavered between staying 'awake' and slipping back into dark oblivion, he spotted Eomer's Royal Sister coming up to join the First Marshall.

Yet, the young Rohirrim couldn't seem to form the words he wanted to say... and tightly clutched Ramo's gift in a bloodied hand...

(( Sorry it's not much, but I'm still here! ))
Eveligh
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 03:09
The bodies of men and orcs marked the ground and the men searched for survivors as the last of the remaining orcs were slain or chased from the site. The men of Rohan searched with care amongst the dead, kicking aside the corpses of orcs to get to the wounded, or to discover the loss of a rider. The healers had come and the wounded were carried to them and though her small frame now ached Eowyn still searched for her brother-king.
“Eomer! Eomer!” She called as she went turning the wounded or dead over to find him. Yet each time she saw it was not he Eowyn was felt relief and yet despair. Relief for her brother was not among the dead or wounded and despair for she wondered what had befallen him. Riders of the Mark went by her, between them the carried the burden of a shift bearing the body of a man. Eowyn ran to them hope springing but died quickly when she found that it was the Second Marshall, a spear shaft in his shoulder.

Turning Eowyn searched more desperately, still crying his name, as she went looking on the face of every man the Rohirrim or Rangers carried to the Healers. Panic firmly had its hold on Eowyn and soon she tired but she denied her body rest or the healing it so needed. It was then as Eowyn came nearer to the pleading calls for aid by the wounded, that the First Marshall passed her. He wound his way through the bodies and wounded and Eowyn’s gaze followed him a moment before she turned the corpse of an orc. The sudden coughing made her heart race for beneath the body lay an injured Rohir, calling for aid Eowyn watched as his fellows came and went quickly yet carefully about taking him to the Healer’s pavilion. Eowyn followed in their wake. Here in the pavilion the sound of those dying was great, the scent of herbs was strong on the air as Healers went to and fro as fast as they may.

The cost of this battle had been far greater then any had known but the Healers were doing all that they could. Eowyn’s hands clenched beside her at the very thought, it had seemed that the time of war had been far behind them all. But it was not so. Had not Eowyn turned from this life to that of Healing and things that grew. It would seem that her learned skills might yet be needed when Eomer was found. The shout of the First Marshall drew Eowyn from these thoughts and from the pavilion. Coming to the side of the Marshall Eowyn saw that he was bent over the form of a young Rider. Namian, she had heard his name to be. The Healer had removed the arrow from his wound and was now lain beside him but it was to what this Rider clutched in his hands that drew Eowyn’s gaze.

Looking from the helm to the Rider’s face Eowyn grasped the Rider’s shoulders and shook him lightly,
“Namian, Namian!” And when he made no response she shook him harder, “Namian, where is Eomer? Wake now and tell me!” She demanded of him. Though she saw his hurts she cared more now to know where Eomer was and what had befallen him. And why it was his helm had fallen to Namian’s care.

(I hope this post is ok Gwen! If you need me to change anything, just let me know.)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 03:58
(( Sorry it's taken so long to reply. ))

After first the First Marshall and then his King's Royal sister demanded an answer, Namian tried to gather himself to do so. His voice barely above a whisper, "Saw h-him... fall," the young Rider said painfully. "Wounded... not..." he tried to reassure them, and then shook his head.

"Tried to help... hit... orcs drag... aw-away..."

Falling silent, Namian shook his head again, wondering if they could make any sense of his words. - But, he had seen Eomer King fall from his mount's back... wickedly sliced by an orc-blade. He'd been conscious when Namian had leapt from Firefox's back, and barely had the Rider removed the white-tailed Helm when he, himself had been struck by an enemies arrow. - And, just as he'd sunk into his own blackness, Namian saw several orcs hauling the Rohanian Ruler off into the darkness of the night...

Grasping Lady Eowyn's arm tightly, "Where's Ramo?" Namian asked... knowing quite well his beloved was nowhere near...

(( hope this is okay!))
EowArwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 04:56
When Ramo hesitated Lothiriel softened.
"I'm sorry Ramo, I did not mean to snap at you. When you wish to tell me I am waiting." she paused and continued.
"I am going to visit the House of Healing again. Hamar is teaching me so many things there. It keeps my mind off of ... the war." Lothiriel offered a smile and putting on a heavier cream cloak she left for the house. As she descended the stairwell to the court below, she once again looked out over the plains hoping to see Eomer but she did not.

In a few minutes Lothiriel arrived at the house of healing and Hamar greeted her at the door. Offering her his arm he said
"There is much to do milady. I am very glad that you have come today."

"As am I," Lothiriel thought but did not say it, instead smiling at Hamar.
Eveligh
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2006 06:38
( I am so sorry about the long delay in my replying! Sadly, its not the best of posts either.)

Carefully Eowyn listened to Namian as he spoke and took Namain's hand when he grasped her arm. Holding breath to hear all that he could tell them, Eowyn fell still upon learned what had befallen her brother-king.
"Did you not see the direction in which he was taken?" Eowyn demanded chosing not to answer the Rider's question for it may have served to bring more sorrow yet upon him.

Looking to the Marshall Eowyn saw that his thoughts mirrired the path of her own. That whether or no a party was sent to rescue Eomer, he would be slain. There was to be no question. Many questions came to mind. Th most puzzling was the reasoning for the orcs carrying Eomer away, what purpose or gain had they to do so.

"Namian?" She spoke his name firmly. Faramir approached and as he did those about bowed their heads to him.
"What news have we?" He inquired coming to stand beside her.
"Eomer has been taken." replied Eowyn and never did her gaze leave Namain's face as she waited.
<< First7891011
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email