Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post KEEP: "Going Home" (Permission by PM only)
on: September 18, 2005 05:01
(OOC: Be certain to read the OOC thread first. No jumping in without permission via PM)

IC:Rhyanna was hurrying to finish her breakfast as it was time to let the family's two cows, three sheep and a goat out to pasture. She had already milked the cows earlier, a job she always loved to do. The early morning just before dawn was her favorite time of day when she would sit on her bench as she milked old Betha, smelling the comforting aroma of hay and warm animal bodies and staring out the barn door at the sunrise, day dreaming.

"Mama, Papa is going to the village to market today. May I go with him? He says it would be fine with him. May I, mama, please?"

She knew her mother would never refuse her, particularly if her father had already said yes. As expected, her mother smiled and nodded her head, saying only, "As long as the livestock has been put to pasture and you are bathed so you do not shame your father by smelling like a goat." Rhyanna laughed. Mama always said the same thing everytime. First of all, she would never go anywhere without taking care of the animals. Secondly, papa would be the last person to even notice what she smelled like as he was forever surrounded by the odor of animals, earth, hay and pipe smoke. But all she said was, "Yes, mama, of course."

She carried her plate to the cleaning bucket, washed it and stacked it with the others. Turning as she was about to leave the room, she asked, her fingers crossed behind her back, "Mama, may I wear Bronwyn's old blue dress?" Her chocolate brown eyes could and often did look like the eyes of her father's favorite hunting dog at times such as this. "Bronwyn's 'old' blue dress? Child, the dress was only made for her less than a year ago. It is hardly 'old'. Besides, it would be too large for you," her mother chided.

"But mama, I have grown a lot this past year. Even Aeldrid says so. He says I will soon be as tall as he in another little while," Rhyanna pleaded.

"Your brother is now over 6 feet tall, child, and you are no bigger than a....than a....than a hobbit," she finally managed to think of the name of the halflings who had been so honored at Gondor during Aragorn's coronation. "Ah well, try it on and see whether it is too large for you. Perhaps Bronwyn and I can take a few nips and stitches before you have to leave."

Rhyanna ran back to hug her mother tightly around her ample waist, looking up into her eyes. "Thank you, mama. I'll go try it on as soon as I let the animals out. Thank you thank you thank you."

Glenda shooed her youngest child out the door and watched her as she ran across the yard to the barn, shaking her head slightly and thinking to herself, "that child could charm the feathers off birds."

As Rhyanna was opening the back door to the pasture, preparing to release the livestock, her ears picked up a sound that didn't match the normal sounds of the barn in the morning. The cows were lowing softly, the sheep were baaing and the goat was restlessly bumping the gate to her stall. All normal sounds. But then she heard it again. A creaking board up in the loft where the hay was kept. Rhyanna hurriedly opened the gates to all the stalls and gently nudged the animals out. As they ran for the pasture, the girl quietly climbed the ladder to the loft. Standing finally on the upper floor, her eyes searched the piles of hay for anything out of the ordinary. She saw nothing and was about to step back to the ladder when she heard another creak coming from the far back corner of the loft, where the hay was piled highest and the shadows the deepest.

"Is someone there?" she asked, her voice much braver than she felt. She knew there were poor people left homeless after the great war who often took refuge in hay barns like theirs. Why, they had found an entire family hiding out just a few months earlier. But there were also bandits and ruffians who did the same thing and she wasn't sure which this might be, if any, if the creak was only the old barn shifting. "If you are hungry, please come out. We will feed you and see that you have supplies to go on with." She waited, hearing nothing. Once more, before she put her foot on the upper step of the ladder, she asked, "Is anyone here?"

[Edited on 4/2/2007 by BerethEdhellen]
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: "Going Home" (Permission by PM only)
on: September 18, 2005 05:34
The sound of a door opening sent panic through the huddled figure in the loft of the barn. Shivering from exhaustion, and trying to wrap the stolen blanket closer around his grotesque figure, Gwathur cringed as he edged back further into the darkened corner. The creaking boards had attracted someone's notice! He'd thought no one was around!

Desperately, he clung to the shadows that were now his only friends... and wished he could sear the memory of what he looked like from his mind. No wonder people had shied, and run from him in terror! Days ago that had been, and since he'd seen the reflection of himself in that mirror, Gwathur had hidden during the daylight hours, and crept through the darkened nights.

Yet, he could not give up hope! An Elf he'd been born, and Gwathur had never forgotten it - not even the five centuries of torture at the hands of his orc captors had driven it from his heart - or his soul. There was one chance before him, and the orc-elf was determined to grasp it with all the strength he had left.
"Is someone there?" she asked, her voice much braver than she felt. She knew there were poor people left homeless after the great war who often took refuge in hay barns like theirs. Why, they had found an entire family hiding out just a few months earlier. But there were also bandits and ruffians who did the same thing and she wasn't sure which this might be, if any, if the creak was only the old barn shifting. "If you are hungry, please come out. We will feed you and see that you have supplies to go on with." She waited, hearing nothing. Once more, before she put her foot on the upper step of the ladder, she asked, "Is anyone here?"

Tears of desperation stung Gwathur's eyes. Three days it had been since he'd eaten this time, and the voice - so young-sounding, was almost more than he could bear answering - yet, he dared not. If the adults had shunned him so - how much more did an innocent youngling deserve not to be scarred by the sight of him?

Yet, on the point of the child leaving, the 'unthinkable' happened. Weakened by who-knew-what, the boards beneath the orc-elf cracked, and before he could grab hold of anything, in a shower of hay, dust, and broken wood, Gwathur fell heavily to the lowest level of the barn. The protective blanket was gone... caught on a nail... and curling into a ball, he cried, "Go, child! Go away! Don't look at me!"
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 07:23
Just as Rhyanna had given up, believing her ears were deceiving her, there was a creaking, a breaking of boards, and a crash followed by a thud. Peeking down through the opening where the ladder led to the main floor of the barn, all she could see were feet sticking out from the goat's small stall in the corner. Scurrying down the ladder as quickly as her feet could move, she jumped from the ladder to the floor the last three feet. Landing firmly on the ground, she began to run towards the stall when she heard the saddest voice she had ever heard.

"Go, child! Go away! Don't look at me!"

Rhyanna stopped short, then took a hesitant step forward, asking as she moved, "Why shouldn't I look at you?" She took another step forward. "Are you hurt?" She continued moving forward slowly, thinking she heard a moan. If she had, then he must be hurt. She gave up moving slowly and ran forward, skirting around the milk pails and then pulling back the stall gate, calling as she did, "Sir, are you hu........oh! Oh!" Before her she saw the ugliest man she had ever seen but her first thought was that his head was bleeding, bleeding very badly. "Oh dear, you just wait right here. I'll be right back."

She ran to the other end of the barn, grabbing some of the clean rags kept in a bag for cleaning the cow's udders, and a bucket of water, lugging them back to where the man was laying on the floor, curled up in a ball. She knelt beside him, dipping the rag in the bucket and then leaned forward to clean the wound on his forehead. She had to push his hand out of the way as it was covering his face and making it difficult to reach his cut. When she was able to wipe the blood away, she saw that it was really just a bad scrape but like all head wounds, looked worse. She tilted her head and looked at the wound and then gave her 10 year old experienced opinion. "Well, you'll live if this is all that's wrong. It's just a messy head cut. They always bleed buckets even when they're just a scratch. Are you hurt anywhere else? Did you break anything?" She looked him over as though searching for broken bones sticking out through his skin.

"Your clothes are really pretty raggedy, you know. My brother Aeldrid is about the same size you are. I think I could get some clothes that would fit you so you could get rid of those shreds you are wearing? Would you like something to eat...or drink? I am going to market with papa later this morning but I have time right now, so don't be worried that you're keeping me from anything else I should be doing."

Rhyanna's compassionate brown eyes searched his strange colored ones for some hint of what he wanted as he was not saying very much. She was wondering if that was why he hadn't wanted her to look at him...because he was so raggedy and dirty. She knew how much value mama placed on cleanliness. Maybe his mama did too and he was feeling ashamed. She waited for him to say something.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 04:15
Gwathur was shaken, as well as shaking. He knew he was bleeding, but cared not about that. It wasn't the first time - nor would it be the last; after centuries of torture, this wound was 'nothing'. His moan, and it was that, was in acknowledgement of the look Gwathur knew would be in her eyes when the girl did not heed his words.

And, such was his true nature, the orc-elf still tried to hide his face; to protect her from 'seeing' his appearance as she tended his wound; and cringing inwardly, bore her ministrations in silence.
"Well, you'll live if this is all that's wrong. It's just a messy head cut. They always bleed buckets even when they're just a scratch. Are you hurt anywhere else? Did you break anything?" She looked him over as though searching for broken bones sticking out through his skin.

"Your clothes are really pretty raggedy, you know. My brother Aeldrid is about the same size you are. I think I could get some clothes that would fit you so you could get rid of those shreds you are wearing? Would you like something to eat...or drink? I am going to market with papa later this morning but I have time right now, so don't be worried that you're keeping me from anything else I should be doing."

At first, as she spoke, Gwathur his his head in shame. - Shame that 'fending' for himself meant stealing; begging hadn't worked; - and... how long the centuries had been since he'd seen even the simplest of kindnesses!

But, searching her eyes with his own, the orc-elf could tell this child was truly kind, and meant her words. Yet, it was strange she put his hiding to his tattered, dirty clothing, and not to that of his face. Perhaps, Gwathur thought sadly, she was mentioning his rags to keep herself 'occupied' from his appearance.

The thought of food, though, and clean clothes... clothes that were not 'orcish' in origin, captured his attention. "P-please?" he answered, in a bare whisper, and with the life he'd led for so long, more than half-expected the girl to retract her offer.

And then, "Please, child - don't tell anyone I'm here!" Gwathur urgently begged, being quite sure that her father would turn him out into the daylight, and the openness of mockery he was sure to receive; if not to be taken as a thief and intruder.

"I swear, child," the orc-elf shuddered at keeping his eyes straightly into hers, and seemed to shrink into himself. Still, Gwathur was waiting for the horror to appear in the huge brown ones; for his appearance to 'sink in'; for her to run screaming back to her family. "I swear... I won't hurt you - I-I don't want any 'trouble'..."

[Edited on 19/9/2005 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 06:29
When he finally spoke, his voice was soft yet pleading. "Please," was all he said at first. Rhyanna stared at him, full of pity and sadness. The poor man must be very hungry and thirsty for he looked thin, as though he hadn't eaten in an age. She nodded her head and rose to go ask her mama for some food and cider. Looking down at him, she smiled.

"Stay right here. I'll go ask Mama for some food and something to drink. And I'll grab some of Aeldrid's clothes while she's fixing it. I'll be back in a toad's hop." She turned to leave when he spoke again.

"Please, child - don't tell anyone I'm here!" Gwathur urgently begged. Looking back at his ugly face, she tilted hers, a puzzled look in her eyes.

"Whyever not? You are not really well. You need help, I can tell. Why shouldn't I tell Mama or Papa?" She knew her mama and papa were kind people...think how many other people they had helped since the war.

"I swear, child," the orc-elf shuddered at keeping his eyes straightly into hers. "I swear... I won't hurt you - I-I don't want any 'trouble'..."

Rhyanna thought about it for a moment, then knelt next to him again. Her small white hand reached out and covered his filthy mangled one as she absorbed his words. "Are you a thief or a bandit? Are you wanted by the Minas Tirith guards or something?" She couldn't find it in her heart to believe this sad, weakened soul could possibly be bad enough for that. Although his eyes were an odd shade, they were still filled with honesty, even though they were full of pain. They looked like those of a beaten dog her papa had found along the road not long ago. Her papa and brother had cared for the dog and he was now the family's most faithful pet. But this was not a dog. He was a man, albeit an ugly and dirty one. And the last thing she was worried about was that he would hurt her. He was, like the dog, too beaten to do anything but beg.

"Alright, sir. I won't tell anyone you are here, at least until we get you fed and cleaned up. Mama would be shocked if she saw you as you are now." She sat back on her haunches, thinking things through. Food and drink would not be a problem. Mama and Bronwyn were probably busy adjusting the blue dress to fit her smaller size and would both be too busy to notice what she was doing. And Papa was out in the upper fields rounding up the horse he needed to pull the wagon to market. Aeldrid had left for Minas Tirith earlier in the week to do his guard duty time. So she could get both food and drink and clean clothes for the man. But......

"Oh dear, I just thought of something. Papa will be returning with our horse and coming in here to pull the wagon out. And he will notice the break in the loft. Hmm. You'll have to move for awhile at least until he fixes the boards and the barn is safe for you again." Her mind was racing as she tried to figure out where to hide this man until the barn was back in order. "Ahh! I know. There is a small cave further up the hill. Follow the stream behind the barn and keep your eyes out on the right of the stream. You can't miss it. I play there a lot. I like to pretend that I'm hiding from orcs." With that, she giggled like the child she still was, not realizing the look on the man's face had changed perceptibly for just an instant.

She continued, " and you can take a bath in the stream. That way you'll be all spotless and clean when I bring you Aeldrid's clothes." She smiled cheerfully. It was as though she had found a playmate to share her cave. It never occurred to her to be afraid. Rhyanna's life had been safe and peaceful, even during the war. Their little farm was hidden in the coombe and unknown to the invading armies of Mordor. Her parents and siblings adored her as the baby of the family and her life had always been a happy one.

She jumped to her feet, tugging at his hand as she did so. "Come on, get up. Papa will be back soon. I'll bring you your food and some cider and some clothes at the cave. Now, shoo!" She gave him a gentle push and turned to leave the barn in the other direction to head for the house. She stopped before she left the building, turning to look back at the shabby man.

"What do I call you? I don't even know your name. Mine is Rhyanna." She was smiling as she waited to hear his name before she opened the door to leave.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 07:45
Almost, Gwathur had smiled at the child's bright chatter... so long had it been since he'd heard such, it began to calm him just a bit - though she gave him no chance to answer the questions she threw at him.

A calm that swiftly fled at the mention of her father's return.
"Ahh! I know. There is a small cave further up the hill. Follow the stream behind the barn and keep your eyes out on the right of the stream. You can't miss it. I play there a lot. I like to pretend that I'm hiding from orcs." With that, she giggled like the child she still was, not realizing the look on the man's face had changed perceptibly for just an instant.

At first Gwathur nodded, grateful she knew of another - and safer hiding place, but at the mention of orcs, a wash of pain, fear, and agony crossed his disfigured face. So innocent was she! he thought, knowing his former 'associates' (if they could be considered such a thing) would have slain this little girl without a second thought.

Yet, nodding, the orc-elf allowed her to pull him to his feet, and although the child had reassured him her family was 'elsewhere', dreaded that he might be 'seen' on the way to her secret cave.

When she asked his name, however, he stared at the ground. "Gwathur," he answered in a low voice. "It - it means 'Shadow-heart' in the elven-tongue," and to Rhyanna's round-eyed question, he nodded again. "I am... or was - once - an elf," he answered, but would say no more, and waited in the barn-shadows until the girl left.

Gathering his courage, Gwathur waited a few minutes more, and then - blinking his eyes against the full sunlight - peered outside. But, as Rhyanna had said, all was clear, so he crept out of the barn, and followed her directions.

When he reached the cave, Gwathur looked 'round it, and shook his head sadly. Everywhere were the signs of a happy child's play, and it brought tears to his oddly-colored eyes. Once, he had been so, too; but that had been in another life. Could he return to it? the orc-elf wondered, and clung to the hope that he could - and, that he'd be allowed to.

Since the stream was close to the cave, though, Gwathur stepped in to the swiftly-moving water, clothes and all. It was cold, almost 'icy'... and yet, the opportunity to be truly clean was overwhelming.

Dripping, and feeling somewhat 'better', Gwathur returned to the cave, and with his fingers, attempted to remove the worst of the tangles from the remnants of his long, black hair. Tattered, deformed, and ugly he was... yet the orc-elf still did what he could to 'improve' his hideous appearance...

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 08:44
(OOC: This thread is very addictive to me. I should be heading up the beach on errands yet here I sit typing a response to your last post. *Laughing*)

Rhyanna dashed from the barn towards the family cottage and then slowed her footsteps. Gwathur he said his name was, that it meant Shadow-heart in the speech of the elves, a language she had never before heard, and that he was once an elf. She puzzled over that last part. How could he have been an elf once and not one now? Somewhere, in some story told by Papa, she had heard that elves were immortal unless they did...well, something. Was that it? Did he give up his immortality somehow? Maybe that's why he looked so sad. Maybe he was sorry he had done so. While she was lost in these thoughts, she had reached the door to the eating room and she opened it just a crack to peek inside, looking for her mama. No one was in the room but she heard chattering and laughter from Bronwyn's room. Mama and her sister were doing just as she had thought...making the pretty blue dress a better fit for herself and her trip to the market with Papa.

Quiet as a mouse, she crept into the kitchen and searched for some food that no one would miss. There, on the great pine table, was a hunk of yesterday's bread and a block of cheese. She smiled at her clever thought as she carried it out....breaking some crumbs from both the bread and cheese and tossing them on the floor. Mama would scold the dog for having grabbed the food from the table, something he knew not to do. But he wouldn't know what Mama was saying...all he would hear were sounds. Well, he would understand the word NO but the rest would just be babble to him. He'd hang his head for a minute and Mama would feel badly and pet his head and all would be forgiven. She was grinning at the thought by the time she wrapped the food in an old rag. She found a beat up old mug on the back of the shelf and filled it with cider from the earthenware pot. Laying them right outside the door, she tip toed down the hall to Aeldrid's room. Rummaging through his neatly folded clothes, she found what she was looking for. He kept some older clothes for farm work...a shirt and leggings, a pair of old boots and some socks with a hole in the heel of one of them. Rhyanna looked at this warily but then decided it was still far better than Gwathur had. And Aeldrid wouldn't miss them anyway. Wrapping them in her arms, she snuck back down the hall toward the back door.

She froze when she heard her mother tell Bronwyn they needed more thread, and relaxed when Bronwyn blessedly said, "No, mama, I have some right here." The two went back to their stitching and Rhyanna continued creeping along the wall until she passed the doorway to Bronwyn's room. Then she almost ran to the back door, picking up the food and the mug as she passed them, flying for the path by the stream. She hurried along the stream until she saw the cave ahead of her.

"Gwathur! It is only me. Look what I have for you." She reached the mouth of the cave and saw the man sitting in the shadows inside the mouth of the cave. But even in the shadows, she could see he was dripping wet and was clawing his deformed fingers through his hair, straightening it as best he could.

"You bathed in your clothes??" she asked. "A lot of good that will do. Well, you can take them off now. I have some of Aeldrid's clothes to replace them." She thought about what she just said and grinned at him. "You don't have to take them off while I'm standing here, of course. You can do it when I leave." By this time, she was laughing uproariously. She didn't know why it struck her so funny. Maybe it was the look on his face. In any case, she had brought something he probably needed more anyway.

"And here," she said, handing him the mug and the wrapped bread and cheese. She told him of her mischievous action that was sure the get the dog scolded but apparently she found it highly amusing. She even thought it amused him as well. She watched while he opened the wrapping, and sat staring at it. "Go ahead, eat! You must be starving. I have to go, though. Papa was coming down the field when I left, though he was busy with the horse and didn't see me, so don't worry. We have to go to market so I won't be able to bring you any food until late tonight. Will you be alright until then?" She smiled again, her soft brown eyes full of cheer and innocence, and began to leave. She pivoted around, staring at him for a moment, then grinned, rushing past him into the depths of the shallow cave. When she returned to his side, she handed him a ... comb. "I keep this here to take the twigs and grass out of my hair before I go home. I think you can use it more than I ever did." Laughing, she skipped down the path towards home.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 09:58
(( Addicting? :rolling: Try 'compelling', 'spellbinding', etc., etc., etc.! *must... not... use... all seven... posts... up in one... day!! :angel: ))

The sound of running feet sent Gwathur deeper into the cave shadows, and he dug more frantically at his tangled hair. Yet, it was Rhyanna only, to the orc-elf's great relief.
"You bathed in your clothes??" she asked. "A lot of good that will do. Well, you can take them off now. I have some of Aeldrid's clothes to replace them." She thought about what she just said and grinned at him. "You don't have to take them off while I'm standing here, of course. You can do it when I leave." By this time, she was laughing uproariously. She didn't know why it struck her so funny. Maybe it was the look on his face. In any case, she had brought something he probably needed more anyway.

Lowering his eyes, what once would have been a blush crept into his cheeks. The reason for him washing as he did, he couldn't 'explain' to her - not to one so young. But, even to have the rags he was currently wearing have some semblance of cleanliness had lifted his spirits some small measure. Besides, why put on dirty clothes after he'd washed? - It was much better this way, despite Rhyanna's laughter.

The idea of fresh, and untattered clothing was welcome though, and Gwathur merely nodded. When she was gone, indeed, he would change - and swiftly.

But, and although the 'ghost' of a smile had touched the orc-elf's lips at Rhyanna's tale of the dog, Gwathur could only stare at the food she'd brought. Bread... and cheese? How long had it been since he'd had such as this? Weeks it had taken, afer he'd first been captured, before the young elf had given in to hunger, so revolted by the orcs 'choice' of food had he been.

And since then, since it was all that was available, he'd grown used to it.

From the Day of Release from Sauron's grip, however, naught but rotten fruit, or whatever remnants of leftovers he could scrounge had barely touched the gnawing hunger in Gwathur's belly.
Papa was coming down the field when I left, though he was busy with the horse and didn't see me, so don't worry. We have to go to market so I won't be able to bring you any food until late tonight. Will you be alright until then?" She smiled again, her soft brown eyes full of cheer and innocence, and began to leave. She pivoted around, staring at him for a moment, then grinned, rushing past him into the depths of the shallow cave. When she returned to his side, she handed him a ... comb. "I keep this here to take the twigs and grass out of my hair before I go home. I think you can use it more than I ever did." Laughing, she skipped down the path towards home.

Given no chance to reply, Gwathur nodded to the space left by Rhyanna's exit, and carefully set the comb on the cave floor beside him.

Turning his attention to the food, and with shaking hands, he broke off a small piece of the bread, and topped it with a bit of the cheese. Closing eyes that were wet with gratefulness, Gwathur took his first bite. Day-old the loaf might be, but for him this was very-nearly a feast. And, the cider? - It was all the orc-elf could do to not drain the mug in a few long swallows.

In his hunger, Gwathur still made himself eat slowly, and when finished, took the cup down to the stream, and dipped it into the water. Again, he drank, faintly tasting the last drops of cider within it, and then washed the mug for it's return to Rhyanna's family.

But then, there were the clothes. With distaste at what he'd worn for so long, Gwathur shed his rags, and donned what Rhyanna had brought. - And, they fit - mostly, though the boots were slightly too big. Stuffing wads torn from his old attire into the toes did the trick; and he'd not cared a whit about the missing heel in one of the socks.

Clad in real (albeit Human) clothing, the orc-elf fetched the comb, and ruthlessly attacked his hair once again. By the time he'd taken care of it, Gwathur's exhaustion returned in full force.

Curling up on the cold stone of the cave floor, there nonetheless followed a sleep more restful than he'd received in ages. - And, by nightfall, with hope growing stronger in his heart, the once-and-future elf found himself looking forward to hearing Rhyanna's childish chatter - just as much as the food she'd promised to bring...

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 07:04
"Rhyanna! Rhyyyyanna!" She could hear her mother calling as she reached the back of the barn and she raced around it to the yard.

"I'm here, mama. Is papa back yet? There's been a crash in the barn." She did not want her mama asking too many questions about where she'd been, though going to the cave was not unusual. But today was market day and that made a trip to the cave very unusual. However, her mother was simply interested in trying on the blue dress to be sure it would fit.

"Rhyanna, your sister and I have finished the dress and were looking for you to try it on. Yes, your father is back and I think he went into the barn just before you got here. What do you mean, a crash in the barn?" At that moment, Aelfrid stormed out of the barn, yelling, "Rhyanna? What happened in the barn?" Rhyanna was thinking as quickly as she could to come up with an explanation.

"Papa, I went to the loft for hay and when I went into the corner, the floor cracked under my feet. I was lucky I didn't fall through with the hay." Her father ran to her side, kneeling down in front of her, looking her over from top to bottom. "Are you alright? Were you hurt?" Searching further, he said in relief, "You have not a scratch. You were lucky indeed. Well, your brother will be home tomorrow and he and I can repair it then. Right now, young lady, you'd best get ready to go. I will be leaving in a few minutes."

Rhyanna's mother led her into Bronwyn's room where the blue dress was hanging on a hook waiting for her to try on. Her sister had added an extra ruffle, knowing how much her little sister liked to feel dressed up. A matching bow for her braid was laid out on the bed. Both her sister and mother helped her slide the dress over her shoulders and sister Bronwyn brushed and braided her long blond hair, tying it off with the blue bow. Standing before the mirror, Rhyanna looked at herself for the first time. She felt like a princess. She rushed out to show her father, who gave her his hand and bowed at his waist. "M'lady, my I lift you to your chariot?" Rhyanna laughed and clambered onto the wagon herself. They started off for the village and the market.

When they returned later that evening than usual, Rhyanna was wiggling and squirming on the board seat of the wagon. "Rhyanna, what is wrong with you tonight? You're as edgy as a wiggle worm."

"I'm sorry, Papa, but the animals are still out in the pasture and are hungry." In reality, she was worried about Gwathur. She had promised to bring him something to eat and it was already twilight. How was she going to steal some food and make it to the cave before dark? Her father pulled up to the barn, asking, "Would you like me to help you round them up, child?" She knew he was trying to help and she probably could use the help but it would be more hindrance to her plans then help. "No, papa, unload the wagon and I'll manage just fine. But thank you," she said, as she jumped from the wagon and ran towards the pasture. The cows she led to the barn first, milking them as quickly as possible. She set aside some of the milk in a separate small pail, peeking out the barn door to be sure no one was watching. When that job was finished, she hurriedly herded the sheep and the goat into the barn, putting the goat in the stall with the sheep until his was repaired the next day. Then she picked up the house milk bucket and carried it to the cottage. Setting it down in the eating room where her mother and sister were preparing the evening meal, she hurried to her room and shed the dress, replacing it with a pair of leggings and a blouson top, sticking her feet into her mucking boots. She got back to the eating room in time to sit for her meal.

"Rhyanna, did you hang the dress up?" her mother asked. "And what are you doing in those clothes? You're not going to muck out the stable tonight, are you?" Rhyanna was glad her mother had given her the very reason she needed for going out after dark.

"Yes, mama, the barn is a mess from this morning. The goat is in a stall with the sheep and he will be a nuisance to them." As she spoke, she was gathering apples and pears behind her mother's back, shoving them in her pockets, along with another hunk of bread. "I'll be back soon, mama," she said, slipping out the door and running across the yard to the barn. Stopping long enough to pick up the small pail of milk, she raced through the back door and followed the path along the stream.

There was enough moonlight to see where she was going so she made good time and arrived at the cave, calling out ahead of her, "Gwathur, I'm back. But no cider because the family was all there so I brought your some of Betha's milk instead. Where are you? Are you still here?" When the man stepped out into the moonlight, Rhyanna almost dropped the bucket of milk. Where this morning there had been a filthy, raggedly clothed, scruffy creature, now before her stood a tall straight man, clean, dressed in Aeldrid's clothes, and most importantly, his long black hair almost shining in the moonlight. There was almost a soft glow around him in the white light. Her mouth dropped open and she stood silently, staring at him. When she finally spoke, she blurted out the first thing that came to her mind.

"Well, you're not the handsomest man I've ever seen but you look a whole lot better than you did this morning." She smiled as she patted his shirt and turned his hands over in hers, checking to see how clean they had become. "And clean enough to sit and eat. Here, " she said, pulling the fruit and bread from her pockets and laying them on a flat rock next to the milk pail. "I can sit with you for a little while. I'd like to. I'd like to know so much about you. Where you came from and where you're going would be a good start, don't you think?" She plunked down on another rock and waved her hand towards the food. "Sit, for heaven's sake. It's not a friendly feeling with you standing there over me while I sit politely." She folded her hands in front of her and waited ... politely.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 08:08
"Gwathur, I'm back. But no cider because the family was all there so I brought your some of Betha's milk instead. Where are you? Are you still here?"

Gwathur had heard Rhyanna's footsteps long before she arrived, yet he waited until the girl called before cautiously leaving the protection of the cave.

Hesitantly, the orc-elf stood at his full height, and waited for the child's opinion of his apearance.
"Well, you're not the handsomest man I've ever seen but you look a whole lot better than you did this morning." She smiled as she patted his shirt and turned his hands over in hers, checking to see how clean they had become. "And clean enough to sit and eat. Here, " she said, pulling the fruit and bread from her pockets and laying them on a flat rock next to the milk pail. "I can sit with you for a little while. I'd like to. I'd like to know so much about you. Where you came from and where you're going would be a good start, don't you think?" She plunked down on another rock and waved her hand towards the food. "Sit, for heaven's sake. It's not a friendly feeling with you standing there over me while I sit politely." She folded her hands in front of her and waited ... politely.

With a shy smile, Gwathur nodded, and slowly sat on the ground cross-legged in front of Rhyanna. Yet, the word 'friendly' rang in his ears, and as he reached for a piece of ripe fruit, the orc-elf had to blink back a sudden 'sting' of tears. 'Friend'? How could even someone as kindly as Rhyanna wish to claim friendship with such as he?

Trying to remember long-ago lessons on 'politeness', Gwathur ate slowly as he considered the answers to the girl's questions. "I was born," he said, after finishing the first apple, "In a place called 'Imladris'. Sometimes, it's called 'Rivendell'. - And, that's where I'm going. I'm going... 'home'... I hope."

Half-hiding his face behind his long hair, Gwathur reached for the milk-bucket. Since he'd also (in anticipation of returning it) brought out the mug from earlier, the orc-elf carefully poured some of the milk into it. He was not so much of a 'beast' as to drink from the former - not any more - and not Gwathur was determined, if he could keep from doing so.

After taking a sip... and wondering at tasting milk once again, Gwathur shook his head sadly. "I thank you... Rhyanna... for your kindness. It is not something I had ever expected to see again - from anyone."

And, hoping she'd not ask much more - for just 'how' he'd explain the last five hundred years to this innocent, Gwathur shrank from, he reached for and tore off a small piece of bread. "Have-have you eaten?" he inquired shyly. "If you need to go - go, I don't want you to get into trouble because of me..."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 12:36
"I don't have to go for a little while yet. I'm supposed to be mucking the stables and that takes time. And I've already eaten, thank you. This is all for you," Rhyanna spoke without the normal laughter in her voice. Her mind was struggling with the words he had spoken. Imladris? Rivendell? Suddenly, her mind grasped where she had heard those names before.

"That's where the Queen is from! Queen Arwen who married the King of Gondor. I remember Mama and Papa talking about the wedding. They both went to the wedding. And Aeldrid is a guard for the King and Queen. Maybe she could help you get home. Aeldrid could talk to her. He says she's very lovely .. and very friendly with the people of Gondor." The innocent cheerfulness was back in her voice and she looked at Gwathur, thinking she had come up with the perfect answer. She was a little disappointed when he didn't seem to feel the same way.

"Gwathur, if she's from your village," (Rhyanna lacked the knowledge that Rivendell was hardly what one would call a village), "surely she would help you. Do you know her? Did you ever meet her when you were still at home?" Rhyanna knew practically everyone in the village where she had spent the day, so how could he not know his fellow villagers? She wondered why he wasn't answering her. His long hair hung in front of his face and she couldn't see his eyes, couldn't imagine what he was thinking. Then it dawned on her, he was avoiding answers to any of her questions. She changed the subject, thinking maybe he had known Arwen and it was making him sad to think of her.

"Gwathur, you know you can stay in the barn when Papa and Aeldrid fix it tomorrow. Did I tell you that Aeldrid is coming home in the morning?" she asked, hoping to give the man something better to look forward to...a dry, warm place to sleep, closer to the house so she could get food to him more quickly. She watched as he took a bite of the bread and sipped the milk. But still he did not answer her. A dreadful thought crossed her mind.

"You're going to leave here, leave the farm, I mean....aren't you? Were you not even going to tell me?" Her voice was heartbroken, wondering how he could be so cruel to a friend, for that's what she thought of him and assumed he felt the same towards her.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 01:30
Gwathur set down the piece of fruit he'd been nibbling at whilst Rhyanna chattered on, and taking some bread and milk, stared at the floor - letting his hair 'hide' his face even more.

Yes... he'd seen Arwen Undómiel - once, when she'd visited Imladris. But, 'know' her? No. And, approach the King and Queen of Gondor? Not likely. Even dressed as he now was, his appearance was too... 'orc-like' for comfort: his, or anyone else's.

Even if he dared go to Minas Tirith, Gwathur knew he'd just be turned away. It was bad enough he wasn't sure of his own path back to the protected valley of his birth... not any more, anyway. His captors had been quite 'careful' to shield that knowledge from him - and other than 'remembering' it was on the other side of the Misty Mountains, Gwathur didn't know 'where' to look... or even how far away his birthplace might be.

"Gwathur, you know you can stay in the barn when Papa and Aeldrid fix it tomorrow. Did I tell you that Aeldrid is coming home in the morning?" she asked, hoping to give the man something better to look forward to...a dry, warm place to sleep, closer to the house so she could get food to him more quickly. She watched as he took a bite of the bread and sipped the milk. But still he did not answer her. A dreadful thought crossed her mind.

"You're going to leave here, leave the farm, I mean....aren't you? Were you not even going to tell me?" Her voice was heartbroken, wondering how he could be so cruel to a friend, for that's what she thought of him and assumed he felt the same towards her.

Looking up quickly, the orc-elf bit his lip. Yet, again... he wondered just how could he 'explain' himself to this darling child?

"I must go," he answered, "I have to go 'home'. I have to try."

But, addressing the girl's second question, he shook his head. "No," Gwathur said softly, "I would have bid you 'farewell' when you left for the night... Rhyanna," speaking her name shyly, whilst feeling she deserved to know that much.

Hesitantly, Gwathur reached out, and squeezed her hand briefly... though it be strange to 'offer' such a small comfort as that. "I've not had a... 'friend'... or anyone to talk to for a long time," he went on, and then looked at the ground again. "Even if I could stay... it would not be for long. You couldn't keep feeding me like this forever - someone would notice it - wouldn't they?"

Gwathur paused, and smiled sadly into her huge brown eyes. "I won't forget you, though, not ever!"

Picking up the half-finished pear, he nodded in the direction of Rhyanna's house, off in the distance. "Is... Aeldrid your only brother?" he inquired. "And... tell me of your day in the Village. - Do you like going there?"

Desperately, Gwathur hoped that his questions would turn Rhyanna's thoughts away from his departure, as well as just the chance to know of something of herself. Since, clearly, One such as his only friend was loved... and cared for... and had led a life to be treasured.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 03:39
"I must go," he answered, "I have to go 'home'. I have to try."

"But...but...," Rhyanna tried to think of something, anything to make him stay. Before she could find any words, he spoke again.

"No," Gwathur said softly, "I would have bid you 'farewell' when you left for the night... Rhyanna."

She smiled at him. He had said her name. He had not done that before. She liked the way he said..it had a...a...different sound then when anyone else said it. When he squeezed her hand lightly, she turned hers so their palms were together and squeezed his back. "I've not had a... 'friend'... or anyone to talk to for a long time," he went on, and then looked at the ground again. "Even if I could stay... it would not be for long. You couldn't keep feeding me like this forever - someone would notice it - wouldn't they?"

"Well, maybe not right away, though you wouldn't be able to hide from Papa...or Aeldrid either...for long. They know every inch of the barn and the farm. But I could tell them you're here...that you need help," she offered but got no further. "But you won't ask for it, will you?" She sighed deeply.

Gwathur paused, and smiled sadly into her huge brown eyes. "I won't forget you, though, not ever!"

A tear slid down her cheek and she held his hand tightly.

"Is... Aeldrid your only brother?" he inquired. "And... tell me of your day in the Village. - Do you like going there?"

"You're just trying to change the subject, aren't you?" She sniffed once and wiped her cheek with the back of her other hand. "Okay, yes, Aeldrid is my older and only brother. He's 18 now and I told you already that he's a guard in Gondor. He's coming home on leave time tomorrow. I have a sister, Bronwyn. She's 15 already but she's very small for her age. That's why I get to wear her dresses because I am tall for my age. I'm 10 and a half, did I tell you that already? Aeldrid says I will be as tall as he is someday. He's as tall as you are. And then there's Mama and Papa. Mama is a Rohannion but Papa is from Gondor. I got my brown eyes from him...he has brown eyes too. But my hair is the same as Mama's, not dark like Papa's. We have 2 cows, 3 sheep and the goat. And the dog Papa found on the road. He was badly beaten but Papa and Aeldrid fixed him up and now he loves Papa better than anyone in the world." She stopped to take a breath. She continued with, "I love going to the market with Papa. We sell some of our vegetables and bring home things Mama needs, like bolts of material to make clothes and bags of flour for bread and stuff like that. And I get to see the blacksmith and the farriers and a lot of other people. I like seeing people. I love my family very much but I never see anything of the world. I've never even been to Minas Tirith. Someday I want to go somewhere and see everything."

Rhyanna looked up into Gwathur's eyes. Then she asked a question she knew would disturb him but she couldn't stop herself. "Why don't you want my family to help you? We could, you know." She felt his hand slip away from hers. She felt like she had lost something special and was sorry she had asked the question. "Alright, how about if I come with you, just to help you along the way? I get the feeling you're not sure where to go. I could take one of Aeldrid's maps and help you find home." She was pleading with him. She didn't understand why except she knew he was the loneliest soul she had ever met and yet somehow the kindest, even if he wasn't the handsomest man she had ever seen.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 04:52
Listening to Rhyanna's description of her family... their farm, and the village, Gwathur smiled as he ate... though he used one hand only, since his new little friend had a firm grasp on his other. And, in between bites, almost had to 'force' himself to breathe - when she did not.
"Why don't you want my family to help you? We could, you know." She felt his hand slip away from hers. She felt like she had lost something special and was sorry she had asked the question. "Alright, how about if I come with you, just to help you along the way? I get the feeling you're not sure where to go. I could take one of Aeldrid's maps and help you find home."

"Rhyanna!" Gwathur felt tears begin to slide down his scarred cheeks, and setting aside the remnants of his meal (and still hesitantly), slid closer to give the girl a grateful hug. "I can't," he told her sadly, "As kind as your parents are... I don't think they would, Rhyanna. Not... not someone like me."

Releasing her Gwathur spoke again - but his voice was as 'shaky' as it was 'gentle'. "You said..." he began, and looked honestly into Rhyanna's eyes, "that you come here - and 'pretend' to hide from orcs." When she nodded, he did too. "I didn't have a place to 'hide', Rhyanna - not when I was a child, and the orcs found me. They took me away from my home - and tried to make me an orc, too. That's why I look this way - and why have to go home... alone. People - even your mother and father - don't like orcs. They won't like me."

Uncertain as to how she was 'taking' the truth, Gwathur went on, "You're right - I don't know how to get home, and I'd like your company more than anything in the world, Rhyanna - truly I would. - But, you need to stay with your family... and help take care of your farm. I'm - I'm... more than five hundred years old, Rhyanna," and though he sounded 'doubtful', "I'll be all right."

Once again looking at the ground, Gwathur shook his head. "You should go, Rhyanna," he whispered, "Go home, and play with your dog... and your sister... and be happy. By the time you're asleep - I'll be gone. Thank you for being my friend." Wrapping his arms around his knees, Gwathur buried his head into them, and tried once again to remember what being 'happy' used to mean...

[Edited on 21/9/2005 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 06:08
She had asked her question and instead of being angry, tears fell from his eyes down his disfigured cheeks. She felt terrible as she had not wanted to make him sadder than he already was. Instead, he gave her a small hug.

"I can't," he told her sadly, "As kind as your parents are... I don't think they would, Rhyanna. Not... not someone like me."

"Why not? What's wrong with you? You're just a lonely, lost man without a home. They've taken care of many people since the war." She looked up at him questioningly.

Releasing her Gwathur spoke again - but his voice was as 'shaky' as it was 'gentle'. "You said..." he began, and looked honestly into Rhyanna's eyes, "that you come here - and 'pretend' to hide from orcs." When she nodded, he did too. "I didn't have a place to 'hide', Rhyanna - not when I was a child, and the orcs found me. They took me away from my home - and tried to make me an orc, too. That's why I look this way - and why I have to go home... alone. People - even your mother and father - don't like orcs. They won't like me."

"You're an orc??" Her eyes opened wide with shock. "I've never seen an orc. Papa always told me to come to the cave if ever they came to the farm. He said the were the most ugly, dreadful, horrible creatures in the whole world ... and fearsome. I was to hide from them because they would do terrible things to me. But you are none of those things. You're not really .. well, good looking. In fact, you are...well, sort of .. well, a little bit ugly. Your face and your hands are mangled. But you're not dreadful or horrible. And not once have I ever feared you. No, you cannot be what you say. I won't believe it."

She sat quietly, contemplatively, thinking about the man at her side. Then she realized something. Turning to Gwathur, she put her thoughts into words. "But if you are an orc, you will never find people to help you find your way home. You'll need someone....someone like me....to help you find your way. I should come with you," she said, full of conviction, her arms folded across her chest, her jaw jutting with determination.

"You're right - I don't know how to get home, and I'd like your company more than anything in the world, Rhyanna - truly I would. - But, you need to stay with your family... and help take care of your farm. I'm - I'm... more than five hundred years old, Rhyanna," and though he sounded 'doubtful', "I'll be all right. You should go, Rhyanna," he whispered, "Go home, and play with your dog... and your sister... and be happy. By the time you're asleep - I'll be gone. Thank you for being my friend."

She sat for another minute, staring into the trees, her mind working rapidly. Nodding her head, she stood up and turned to face him. "Alright, Gwathur. I'll leave a change of clothes and some food by the back door of the barn for you to pick up as you leave. Promise me you will take it with you." She gazed into his eyes and then threw her arms around him, hugging him with all her might. "You must also promise me you will take care too. I want to see you again someday when you have had time to go home and get better. Promise me?"

She had said goodnight to her mother and father and Bronwyn. Now she lay in her bed, staring at the ceiling. Her mama and papa loved her, as did her brother and sister. She knew that. And she loved them, too. But Gwathur had nobody to care about him. And he needed someone to take care of him as her mama and papa had taken care of her brother, sister and her. She had left the things she had told Gwathur she would leave for him. He would be on his way by now. And the only way he could head from the farm was north. She listened and heard her papa snoring. The house was quiet otherwise. She quietly pulled her covers back and got out of bed, fully dressed in her leggings, a warm tunic and her walking boots. Reaching under her bed, she softly pulled out a pack in which she had packed some clothes, food and Aeldrid's maps of the lands north of Rohan. Sliding her hand under her pillow, she pulled out a piece of paper, on which she had written a note to her mama and papa, telling them the whole story of Gwathur, as far as he had told her, and why she was going with him...to help him. She had added that they were not to worry because Gwathur and she would take care of each other. As soon as she found Rivendell, the elves would bring her home. She had signed it: Your loving daughter, Rhyanna

Creeping silently along the hallway, she reached the eating room and left the note on the table, then just as silently opened the door and stepped out into the night. She stared at the sky where the moon was still shining brightly and began to run along the road. She would catch up with Gwathur before dawn.

In the house, the dog raised himself on his back paws on the edge of the table, sniffing at what Rhyanna had left for him. His teeth caught the edge of the note and pulled it off the table, where he chewed on it happily in the corner of the room next to the fireplace.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 06:42
Surprised by Rhyanna's farewell hug, Gwathur promised he'd go by the barn before leaving. For a long moment the orc-elf watched his only friend in the world disappear into the darkness. "Good-bye, Rhyanna!" he whispered to the 'no ones' that were there.

With a heavy sigh, Gwathur then finished his meal, and once again washed out the mug - and set it where the girl could find it the next time Rhyanna visited her cave. Casting his eyes around it once again, he looked closely at such of the items the girl had brought there to keep herself occupied whilst playing her 'hiding' game. When he again spotted the comb though, the orc-elf paused. Slowly, he reached for it, and turning it over in his fingers a few times, slipped it into his pocket. Not so much to be used again (though he would), but more as a… 'physical remembrance' of his friend.

When he was 'certain' the girl had had 'time' to set out her parting-gifts for him - and deeply touched by Rhyanna's trying to do so, he crept back to the barn. - And, Gwathur couldn't help but blink back tears again as he found them - as his friend had promised. Wondering... and hoping that one day he would be healed 'enough' to return here, and thank her properly, the orc-elf set off towards the North.

In the darkness, and now wearing clothes that were 'presentable', Gwathur walked tall - albeit (still) 'cautiously'.

Occasionally he passed other farmhouses, skirting the nearest dwellings - and cringing in fear at one when the resident watch-dogs began to bark. At hearing them, Gwathur took off running, until he was certain it was safe.

Yet, sustaining him through the night, was the memory of a ten-year-old child who'd given him unquestioning friendship, and a day unlike any he'd had in five hundred years of terror. - And, although he savored every word Rhyanna had said, as he thought about what she'd said of her family, Gwathur couldn't help but blink away tears, too. He had had a family, too, - once. A mother; a father; though no siblings. Would they still be in Imladris after so many long centuries? he wondered. - And… if so, would they want him back? Could even his own parents accept what he'd become? - What he now looked like?

For a moment, Gwathur's footsteps faltered, and stopped, and for a time, stood still - wondering if he could face their rejection - if it came. But, the wish to be 'whole' was too strong, so with a heavy sigh, he moved on.

When the sky began to lighten, though, the orc-elf knew it was 'time'. Time to find someplace 'safe' to wait out the long, lonely, daylight hours; to refresh himself with the food Rhyanna had given him… and…perhaps, to catch a few hours of sleep. Anxiously, Gwathur's night-sharp eyes began searching for a barn, a cave, or any abandoned building that would give him the cover he'd need until the sun was again gone.

It was nearly daylight, however, when the orc-elf found one he felt would be the 'safest', and then - suddenly - the sound of running footsteps 'caught' his ears. In a near-panic, he turned off the road, and began running towards his chosen 'hiding-place', lest he be seen.

"Gwathur!" a voice called, and stunned, Gwathur whirled. "Rhyanna?!" he gasped, and stared in disbelief. It couldn't be! - Could it? - Yet, incredibly - it was. "Rhyanna!" he whispered to himself, so very glad to see his little friend. And, wondering why in the world she was following him, the orc-elf waited…
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 09:20
Rhyanna ran along the north-leading road, barely tiring, as her young legs were well built and strong from her work at home. The night was surprisingly warm for this time of the year. It was harvest time and the nights were now becoming very chilly. But it was like a night in late summer and the moon was huge in the sky, lighting her way. She stopped only once when she passed a small spring that was spilling out of the side of the hill. She refreshed herself with a long drink, refilled her water bag and rested on the side of the hill for a few moments. Then, she jumped back to the road and her legs pumped as she tried to catch up with Gwathur. As the moon set and the sky began to lighten in the east, she was becoming afraid that she had missed Gwathur, that perhaps he had taken another path, maybe across the fields rather than along the road.

"No, no, Gwathur. Please be on the road." she whispered to herself. Then, as she rounded a bend in the road, she caught sight of a flash of white, entering the woods along the side of the road. As she watched, she caught a glimpse of an old decrepit building further back in the trees and then saw Gwathur's long black hair swinging against Aeldrid's white shirt.

"Gwathur! Wait!" she called. When he began to run away from her, she yelled once again, "Gwathur!!!

Gwathur whirled. "Rhyanna?!" he gasped. He stood still, waiting for her to catch up with him. In the lightening of the sky, she could see the happiness on his face...and the confusion as well.

Rhyanna wiped her brow, and grinned at him from ear to ear. "I thought I had lost you. I was afraid you had taken a different path." Her grin faded as she took in the confusion as well as the happiness. "Don't scold, now. You didn't really think I would leave you to make this journey without my help." Her grin broadened once again as she poked his chest with her tiny fingers. "I fooled you though, didn't I? You thought I just accepted your wish for me to go home and go to bed like a good little girl. You should have known better. A friend does not desert a friend." Pulling her pack off her back, she began to rummage though it, glancing up at Gwathur and asking, "Have you eaten yet? I haven't and I'm starving. Is that old shack where you were headed? Then let's go and make ourselves at home," she finished, having found some cheese which she immediately took a bite of.

Reaching out, she grabbed Gwathur's hand and dragged him though the trees until they reached the shack. Rhyanna at once began to investigate it, inside and out, and told Gwathur, "It's not much, but it will at least give us a place to rest. Are we going to travel at night all the way to Rivendell? The moon will only last another week so it will be hard to see the path we need to take. Which reminds me," once again digging into the pack and dragging out the rolled map she had brought with her, "here's a map of the lands north of Rohan. I remembered that Queen Arwen came from the north so it must be on this map. At least I hope so. I didn't have a chance to look at it before I packed it in my bag." She unrolled the map on the floor of the shed and peered at it. "I've never really learned how to read maps, have you? We're looking for Rivendell, right? It wouldn't be called Imladris on a map for men, would it? I mean, Imladris is the elves' name for their village, right? So we have to find Rivendell."

Rhyanna chatter on, rarely taking a breath, it seemed. Her family had grown used to this and frequently just tuned her out but Gwathur simply sat and listened as her sweet childlike voice went on and on. The day passed this way, with Rhyanna rarely giving Gwathur a place to even break into the conversation, until the sun began to go down in the west.

"It will soon be time to leave, right, Gwathur?

Meanwhile, back at the farm, the family awoke about the same time of the day that Rhyanna had caught up with Gwathur. Bronwyn was the first into the eating room, where she tripped over the old hound now laying in the middle of the floor. As her knees hit the floor, she saw scraps of paper strewn around the floor. Glaring at the dog, she stood up, bending over to rub her knees, then began to pick up the bits and pieces of the paper, laying them out on the table. Like putting a puzzle together, she began to try and place the matching pieces together. Much of the paper was chewed beyond reading and many parts were gone entirely. She scolded the hound, "If this is something of Papa's, he will be very angry with you, you bad dog." The hound's tail hung between his legs as he cowered in his corner. What she was able to piece together made her eyes open wide in shock and horror.

"Orc came...Gwathur....hid in the barn....ate....got clothes....went with him....Rhyanna"

"MAMA!! PAPA!!!" she screamed. Bronwyn was too horrified to cry. Her mother and father ran to the eating room and found Bronwyn standing frozen, staring at the scraps. She turned and looked at them, her eyes filled with terror. "Mama, Papa...Rhyanna has been kidnapped by an orc," she said, pointing at the scraps of paper on the table. While Rhyanna's mother and father read the scribbled writing on what was left of her original note, her father yelled at Bronwyn over his shoulder. "Find whatever other pieces you can find. Hurry! There must be more. She must have managed to say something else...like where he was taking her....or something. Look!"

In the midst of this excitement, the door opened suddenly. Aelfrid, Rhyanna's father, grabbed a walking stick from the edge of the table and almost swung it at his son's head. Aeldrid jumped back, looking at his family with surprise in his eyes. "Well, welcome home, Aeldrid," he laughed, until he saw the expressions on the faces of his family. "What's wrong? What's happened?" Searching the room for his baby sister and noting she wasn't there, he asked urgently, "Where's Rhyanna?"

The family sat at the table, a mug of cider poured by Glenda, Rhyanna's mother, in front of each of them as they fingered the pieces of paper and talked about what to do next. Aeldrid spoke with fervent intensity, "There is only one thing to do. I must go after them...track them down. They most likely headed along the north road but they will be hard to find during the day. The orc will take cover then." He hung his head in despair. His baby sister, the child he had adored and protected since the day she was born. Why had he stopped at the house of his cousin to sleep last night? Why hadn't he come straight home? He might have been able to prevent this from happening. As he said these thoughts aloud, his father patted him on the shoulder, reassuring him that it was not his fault.

"Aeldrid, we were all here last night yet we heard nothing. What more could you have heard...or done. No, my son, what you must do now is find her....find Rhyanna before...before...." Aelfrid could not finish his thoughts, too horrible were they. He dropped his head in his hands, tears flowing though his fingers. Aeldrid jumped to his feet, his hand resting on his father's shoulder.

"I will find her, father. Trust me, I will find her. Do not go to the village though. Do not let anyone else hear of this. If we have an army of frantic people traipsing through the woods, it will only scare him and he might do...something....to Rhyanna that he might not do if he feels safe. I can track him. I will find her." He kissed his mother's forehead, hugged Bronwyn and stood in front of his father for a moment..then grabbed his father's shoulder, squeezing it. Grabbing the travel pack that he had just brought into the house, he left once again.....this time in search of his sister. He was half a day behind them.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 10:34
Unable to get a word in edgewise, Gwathur allowed Rhyanna to pull him behind her towards the crude shelter he'd been heading for.

Once they were safely inside, and whilst listening (bemused) to his friend's chatter, he ate the food she'd brought last night. Yet... Gwathur 'hung' on every word. It was as if he was 'relearning' what it meant to be a 'real person', he thought - and... perhaps, would help in his healing. - And, without losing a word (though he often didn't 'understand' what Rhyanna was talking about), the orc-elf carefully studied the map, trying hard to figure it out (though without much luck).

And, although he rested, there was no sleep - but Gwathur didn't care. Rhyanna's company more than made up for it.

As the sun began to set though, the girl turned to him.
"It will soon be time to leave, right, Gwathur?

And, at that, the orc-elf sobered. "Rhyanna..." he said slowly, "You shouldn't have come," Gwathur said sadly, but then Rhyanna 'explained' about the note she'd left.

For a long moment, Gwathur looked into her eyes. Even if he'd not spent the last five centuries in the 'company' of orcs, it was likely he'd not know (as he didn't now) the 'customs' of a Human family.

And, although his tormenters captured such as he (when they could), to bring in 'new blood' (as it were), orcs were a race of their own. A race existing in Middle Earth for almost as long as elves. - And... as such, in the loathsome underground caverns they called 'home', orcs lived... and bred... and 'thrived'.

Though there was no such thing as 'mother-love' for orc children, and only a short, and brutish life to be lived, Gwathur was well aware that even orc-offspring were fed... and 'watched'... and, (in 'orcish-fashion') 'cared for'... until old enough to be taught to fight. - And, even an orc-child as young as Rhyanna would not have been allowed 'outside' (or above-ground) alone.

Yet... Rhyanna's words had 'sparked' a long-ago forgotten memory.

Had not he, Gwathur, left such a note the day he'd gone hunting? Had not - had not... (and it took him a bit to 'dredge' the name from where it had been so-deeply buried) but, hadn't ada bid his son to leave such missives as a matter of 'form'? As long as... ada... had known 'where' Gwathur was going... 'permission' for going somewhere had been 'understood'.

Becoming surer of it in his thoughts, it was Gwathur-elf-child who suddenly smiled widely. "It is!" he answered, and with his strangely-colored eyes twinkling with a long-lost 'childish' glee, he rose and nodded for Rhyanna to take up her pack. Fetching his own, the orc-elf held out his hand for hers. "Come on!" Gwathur said, his heart feeling 'lighter' by the minute. "Let's take me 'home'!"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 03:19
She was watching the sunset when Gwathur spoke softly behind her. "Rhyanna..." he said slowly, "You shouldn't have come,"

Swinging around, Rhyanna stared at him, wondering why he had said that now...now when they were about to leave. "But I had to come, Gwathur. Mama and Papa will understand that when they read the note." When she noticed the look in his eyes, she added, "Oh. Didn't I tell you about that? I left a note on the table for them. I told them who you were and where you were trying to go. And I explained to them that I had given you some of Aeldrid's clothes and food. They will understand from what I wrote why I had to go with you. They understand people helping other people." She picked up her bag and waited for him. When he seemed lost in thought and hadn't moved, she laid down her pack again and looked once again at the sunset and finally repeated what she had said before.

"It's almost nightfall. It's time to leave, isn't it?" She looked back at him over her shoulder, waiting his answer. It was a while before he answered but when he did, something had changed in him. There was a smile on his face that reached his eyes, which were twinkling with a youthful glee. When he spoke, even his voice sounded younger to Rhyanna.

He nodded for Rhyanna to pick up her pack and when he had picked up his own, the orc-elf held out his hand for hers. "Come on!" Gwathur said, his heart feeling 'lighter' by the minute. "Let's take me 'home'!"

Like two children out for a playful adventure, the orc and the child headed up the road, the orc's step light and the child skipping at his side, chattering as always.

"Gwathur, it's a good thing we found Rivendell on the map. Now we know which way we need to go. See those mountains up there on the right. I think they must be the Misty Mountains so all we have to do is keep them on that side of us until we get far enough north to find Rivendell," she said, sounding as confident as a seasoned traveler. She had poured over the map most of the day and her mind had absorbed the information without effort. As they continued on their northward trek, the moon finally rose in the east, tossing long shadows of the travellers across the width of the road. "Look, Gwathur, we have company," she said pointing at the two companions traveling with them at their side.

Thinking she had scared him by saying they had company, she turned to see him standing still in the middle of the road. "It's just shadows, Gwathur, nothing to be afra......" She stopped because now she knew why he had. The clip-clopping of a horse, the creaking of a wagon, the conversation between two men could be heard around the next bend ahead of them. Racing back to Gwathur's side, she grabbed his hand, tugging at his arm. "Gwathur," she whispered, " come on, hurry. We must hide you. You told me folks would not understand you. Well those are folks. Hurry." She finally managed to loosen his feet and drag him into the high reeds and shrubs at the side of the road. It was not a moment too soon as the horse and wagon came around the bend but seconds later. There was a lantarn hanging on the side of the wagon that lit the two burley men on the bench. Both were engrossed in their conversation until the horse reached the place where Rhyanna and Gwathur were hidden. The horse stopped, whinnied and reared, shoving back towards the wagon.

"What's yer problem, Dodder? Move on, ye old nag, move on." The man pulled a whip from the sideboard and cracked it once over the horse's hindquarters. The horse picked up its feet and broke into a run. The last the two in the reeds heard was the wagon driver yelling, "Whoa! Stop, you mangy nag. Whoa!" Rhyanna was the first to creep back onto the road, staring down the length of it to see the wagon still running far away from them.

"Gwathur, it's alright. You can come out now. They're gone."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 04:19
With the smile still on his face, Gwathur felt almost... 'free', as he and Ryanna made their way Northward. It had taken his young friend's help to find Rivendell on the map; the orc-elf having not yet learned to write the Common-tongue of Middle Earth before he'd been captured.

But, he nodded, remembering the high peaks of the Hithaeglir rising over the cliffs surrounding Imladris. "We will!" he assured Rhyanna, about keeping the 'placement' of them along their path.

For the first time in... well... sighing inwardly over it, Gwathur watched the moon rise with something akin to awe. For too long, it had merely been the 'safe' light for the orcs as they crept to do their Master's bidding.
"Look, Gwathur, we have company," she said pointing at the two companions traveling with them at their side.

Thinking she had scared him by saying they had company, she turned to see him standing still in the middle of the road. "It's just shadows, Gwathur, nothing to be afra......"

It wasn't the shadows that froze the orc-elf to his spot; but the elven-keen hearing he'd not lost had picked up the sound of wagon-wheels on the road.

And, though he heard Rhyanna urging him into hiding, at first, Gwathur couldn't seem to move.
She finally managed to loosen his feet and drag him into the high reeds and shrubs at the side of the road. It was not a moment too soon as the horse and wagon came around the bend but seconds later. There was a lantarn hanging on the side of the wagon that lit the two burley men on the bench. Both were engrossed in their conversation until the horse reached the place where Rhyanna and Gwathur were hidden. The horse stopped, whinnied and reared, shoving back towards the wagon.

"What's yer problem, Dodder? Move on, ye old nag, move on." The man pulled a whip from the sideboard and cracked it once over the horse's hindquarters. The horse picked up its feet and broke into a run. The last the two in the reeds heard was the wagon driver yelling, "Whoa! Stop, you mangy nag. Whoa!" Rhyanna was the first to creep back onto the road, staring down the length of it to see the wagon still running far away from them.

Finally, his friend's voice had 'broken through', and swiftly, the two were huddled in the brush, and peering out from the safety of their hiding-place.

Yet... when the horse reared, Gwathur winced - knowing the animal smelled 'orc'. Would the men stop to look? - Or go on?

And, when whip cracked, he scrambled backwards, and deeper into the shadows - shaking in remembered pain, fear... and anger. He heard the horse's startled neigh, and the hooves pounding away from them, and curling his hands into fists, the orc-elf shut his eyes tightly.
"Gwathur, it's alright. You can come out now. They're gone."

Shaking his head, and without opening his eyes, Gwathur knew he could not. Not... 'yet'. "Wait!" he begged his little friend, and hoped the tone of his voice wouldn't frighten Rhyanna.

'Cruelty' was something the orc-elf knew all too well... and for Gwathur - to see it... was to relive it.

His chest heaving, Gwathur tried to calm himself... and to keep himself from racing after the wagon, tearing that poor animal's abusers limb-from-limb, and setting their victim free.

And, when - at length, the orc-elf reopened his eyes, the 'child' had disappeared. Instead, was the return of the tortured soul, who so desperately wanted to 'forget'. Blinking back his tears, he whispered, "I'm sorry, Rhyanna," and slowly rose. And, taking his friend's hand in his again, and although they kept moving, Gwathur's step was slow... his mood somber... and his wish to be healed had grown even stronger...

[Edited on 22/9/2005 by gwendeth]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 04:54
(Whee! Thanks for letting me on Granny. ^^)

Aeldrid rode at a trot. It took a great amount of self control to not burst into a gallop; but it was harder to track that way. Besides, it would not do to wear out his horse.

He passed few on the road and it was noon before he stopped and took a bite to eat. Aeldrid's blue eyes swept over the surrounding landscape. Where was she?

Sudden fear and anger made him choke and he quickly packed away the rest of his meal. He mounted onto his horse Cerebil again.

"Sorry, boy. But we have to keep moving." Aeldrid apologized. The stallion snorted but moved forward.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 07:29
(OOC: Jaid...this is about the time when you will catch up with the two travelers. Just don't kill Gwathur until you've heard from your sister first. *laughs*)

The wagon had disappeared in the night before Gwathur finally rose from the shadowy reeds and shrubs and rejoined Rhyanna at the side of the road. Even in the moonlight, Rhyanna could see that the joy had left his eyes. His steps were slowed, his feet dragging, his shoulders slumped. He had whispered, "I'm sorry, Rhyanna", as he had risen to his feet and now took her hand again as they continued their trek northward.

"Gwathur, we will meet more people along the way. You know this, don't you? The roads were once quiet at night until Mordor fell and the war was over. Now people think it's safe to travel anytime, even at night. You can't let it get you down like this. We will just hide when we run across them, just as we now did." Rhyanna already seemed to know when her traveling companion's mood changed. And it filled her heart with sadness. He had seemed almost happy and now he was the way she had first found him, somber and downhearted.

He reminded her of the family dog, Wagger, who had been beaten and abused until he finally ran away and was found by her Papa. The dog loved every member of her family and protected them all, but he was first and foremost her Papa's dog. But all one had to do was scold him and his tail was immediately between his legs and his head bowed under his cringing shoulders. That's what Gwathur was like right now. Rhyanna did to Gwathur exactly what she did to Wagger at a time like that; she petted his shoulder and gave him a quick hug, telling him it was alright, everything would be alright. Unfortunately, Gwathur did not respond as quickly as Wagger always did, who recovered at once with his tail wagging wildly and his long tongue licking Rhyanna's face. Not that Rhyanna wanted Gwathur to lick her face....she giggled suddenly at her silly thoughts...but she had hoped that he would show some sign of cheering up just a bit.

Hoping to take his mind off whatever was troubling him, she spoke the first words that came to her mind. "Gwathur, you told me you were kidnapped ..how many years ago? Five hundred?" Her mind tried to grasp that many years and she mentally went through her family history as her Papa had told her in tales from the past. My goodness, she thought, Gwathur would have been born when her great, great, great...she ran out of greats...grandfather was born. She shook her head, amazed at this realization, but then continued her gabbing. "What do you remember about back then? Who was your Mama, your Papa? Did you have a brother and a sister, like I do? How old were you when the bad ones took you from your home? Were you my age?" That thought made her stop to think again. She wondered how she would feel if she had been taken away from her Mama and Papa now. She shuddered at the thought. She would never want to leave her Mama and Papa, knowing she might never see them again. That brought up another question. "Gwathur, would your Mama and Papa still be alive after all these years?" She had heard elves lived forever but somehow that was a concept she couldn't even imagine.

Looking at the sky, Rhyanna noted the moon was directly overhead, which meant it must be close to midnight. A light breeze had picked up, blowing her hair across her face. She reached behind her head to retie her ribbon to her braid and her fingers searched in vain. The bow was gone. "Gwathur, I've lost my ribbon! It was at the end of my braid and it's gone. It must have been pulled out when we were hiding from the wagon." A small memory of the tales of elves she had heard made her think of something. "Gwathur, elves know how to braid their hair without bows. Can you rebraid my hair like an elf?" She smiled up at him, wondering whether he remembered how to do that. His own hair, though now combed and clean, was blowing loosely around his shoulders.

"We need to stop to rest for a while. I haven't slept since I woke yesterday morning and I think I'm wearing out. Besides, I am hungry. So could we stop soon and have something to eat. And then you can try to braid my hair while there's still moonlight to see what you're doing." She was feeling happier now but in truth, was getting tired. This was the time when she was usually sleeping and not wandering around Middle Earth.

[Edited on 22/9/2005 by berethedhellen]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 09:14
Gwathur knew that Rhyanna's questions were designed to cheer him up, but in reality, they had the opposite effect. He'd clung so hard to what he could remember... and at each buried memory that 'allowed' itself to be found, 'relived' it a hundred times over so as not to 'lose' it once again.
"Gwathur, elves know how to braid their hair without bows. Can you rebraid my hair like an elf?" She smiled up at him, wondering whether he remembered how to do that. His own hair, though now combed and clean, was blowing loosely around his shoulders.

"We need to stop to rest for a while. I haven't slept since I woke yesterday morning and I think I'm wearing out. Besides, I am hungry. So could we stop soon and have something to eat. And then you can try to braid my hair while there's still moonlight to see what you're doing."

"I can try," Gwathur answered, and feeling terribly 'guilty' about his friend being up so late, searched for a good place to stop.

After a few minutes, the orc-elf's keen eyes spotted one. "Over here," he said, and led the way there. After eating a piece of fruit for himself, whilst Rhyanna ate her own snack, Gwathur pulled out the comb she'd given him to use.

Feeling ashamed of himself, he apologized for 'taking' it from the cave, and then began working on removing the tangles and rebraiding the girl's hair. It was hard, since his gnarled fingers didn't seem to want to 'obey' the orc-elf's wishes, and felt quite likely his friend wouldn't like the result.

But... and since she was (at the moment) 'silent', Gwathur also began attempting to answer her questions from earlier, and tried hard to keep the 'painfulness' at speaking of his history from his tone.

"I'm five hundred twenty-seven years old, Rhyanna," the orc-elf said, "and I was twenty-seven when the orcs took me away. I know that's 'grown up' for Humans... but not for Elves. Elves aren't adults until - until... much later," and since he couldn't remember, Gwathur felt his reply rather 'lame'.

As to his family? "I had nana - my mother, and ada," he went on. "Nana's name had something to do with flowers - I think. Ada's was - was... C-Candir? Candion? - Something like that," and he sighed heavily. "Since they're elves... unless something bad happened, they should still be alive. What I don't know, Rhyanna," he said sadly, "I don't know if they'd still be there... in Imladris. There are... 'other' places that elves go sometimes," Gwathur tried to explain. He couldn't remember the 'name' of it... or why it had to do with much water, but he knew that when - or 'if' an elf went there (and that his birth-race was happy when they did), they were never seen again.

Now finished with her braid, Gwathur tied Rhyanna's remaining ribbon around it, and moved back just a little. Critically looking at his work, he shrugged his shoulders inwardly. Outwardly, "There," he said, "it's... 'close' to what I can remember."

And, noticing his little friend's weariness, patted his pack. "Use this for a pillow," Gwathur suggested, "And, I'll keep a lookout for anyone that might come along. I think we're far enough off the road to be 'safe' - and when daylight comes, we'll find something better..."

[Edited on 22/9/2005 by gwendeth]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 05:07
Aeldrid had searched the roadside futily for some time now. It was getting late and he knew that he should pause for a time before he wore both himself and his horse out.

'Just a little further.' he thought to himself. There were broken twigs on the branches next to the road, as if something had run through them hurriedly. He released Cerebil, and the horse began to nose the grass along the roadside. Aeldrid looked critcally at the snapped branches; it could have been a deer...

There was a ribbon on the road. He bent and picked it up, his heart pounding all over again. It was Rhyanna's. He had bought if for her a few months ago, on one of his visits home. It had been torn.

His hand closed around it tightly and he placed it in his pouch, then stood and went back to Cerebil.

"I apologize again." he said to the horse and re-mounted the steed. "We are close though, very close."

(Do I need to wait for the other elf to post? I can't remember her name, granny. )
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 08:15
(OOC: Jaid.. no, you don't have to wait for Liswen to post. At this point, you can't be more than a mile or so away from Rhyanna and Gwathur and the place where they are resting. So find them now while it's still night and the moon is still shining, which should pick up the white of Gwathur's shirt, even off the road and under the tree)

When Gwathur said he would try and braid her hair in the elven way, Rhyanna smiled and walked at his side while he searched for a resting place. It would have been obvious to anyone who knew her well that she must be more tired than even she imagined simply by noting how silent she had become. Gwathur found a spot that he felt would do nicely and saying, "over here," led her to a spot covered with soft grass under the shelter of a low hanging tree. Both of them dug into their packs and found something to eat and while Rhyanna was still munching, she noticed Gwathur digging in his pocket for something. When he pulled out her comb from the cave, she heard him apologize, his head hung in shame.

"Don't be a silly muffin. You were welcome to have it. And now, look how handy it will be. You can comb my hair and braid it." She went back to chewing on a piece of fruit, sitting serenely in the moonlight that filtered through the branches of the tree. He tugged on the knots and tangles in her fair hair, and she knew he was trying to be as gentle as he could so she never made a sound, even when he pulled one knot so hard, her head hurt enough for her to wince and pull her shoulders up a bit. Then she felt his big hands twisting and pulling this way and that. While he was doing this, he began to talk, hesitantly, softly, a deep sadness in his voice.

He told her about his mother, whose name had something to do with flowers, which she thought dreamily was a pretty way to name someone. And a father whose name he could not recall. He spoke of a place far away that the elves often went to and never returned from but he struggled with the name he could not remember. Rhyanna did, however, from the old tales her Papa had told her during the long winter nights. She whispered, "Valinor," but her voice was so small from exhaustion that Gwathur did not hear her.

By that time he had finished her braids, he said, ""There, "it's... 'close' to what I can remember." Her fingers reached up and explored the work he had completed and felt two tiny braids along the sides her head that seemed somehow so interwoven that they didn't even need the one bow that tied the ends of them together. She smiled a sleepy smile, her eyes drooping closed. Gwathur must have noticed how tired she was.

Pulling his pack forward he tucked it next to her. "Use this for a pillow," Gwathur suggested, "And, I'll keep a lookout for anyone that might come along. I think we're far enough off the road to be 'safe' - and when daylight comes, we'll find something better..." Rhyanna turned the pack this way and that until it felt just right then she turned to Gwathur.

"Thank you, Gwathur. Your braids are just beautiful." Reaching up, her two small arms wrapped around his neck and she hugged him tightly, placing a kiss on his cheek, not noticing how he stiffened at this affectionate offering. "You're a very nice man. Now I'm going to take a rest for a little while. Wake me when you're ready to go." With that, the child curled up on the grass, and she was asleep before her head touched the pack. But it had gotten chillier as the night deepened and in her sleep, she wiggled closer to Gwathur, snuggling against his back, which was warm against the coolness of the air. She slept peacefully.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 23, 2005 03:53
Startled by the good-night hug, and the kiss on his scarred cheek, Gwathur stiffened. 'Affection' of any sort had long-since been erased from the orc-elf's memory, and he was not only 'unused' to it, he had no reason to 'expect' it - even from his new young friend.

Yet, as Rhyanna fell asleep curled up against his back, it was what she'd said that echoed in his ears.

'You're a very nice man'

Once again, Gwathur was blinking back tears, and shaking from the assault of too many emotions to name. How could his friend think that of him? - As 'nice'?

Orcs weren't nice.

He... was not... 'nice'.

After five hundred years in their association - how could he be... 'nice'?

Perhaps... one day... if the Healers of Imladris could Heal him. If they agreed to try... then, maybe, Gwathur would be... 'nice'.

Lost in hopes... and dreams... and just... 'lost', the orc-elf nonetheless kept his night-sharp eyes and keen ears alert. - And, when he heard the sound of a horse's hooves coming up the road, Gwathur fought not to panic.

Glancing back at Rhyanna, though, his heart went out to the sleeping child. She was so tired, and Gwathur found himself hating to waken her - yet.

Perhaps... they didn't 'need' to hide this time? Even though the moon was bright, with the cover of darkness, the orc-elf's ugly face couldn't be seen from the road. - Could it? Could he brave a noncomittal 'nod' from a passing stranger? As the sound came nearer, Gwathur found himself debating. His first - and strongest - instinct was to take up Rhyanna and fly deeper into the shadows. - Yet again, dressed in real clothes, and not orc-rags, was there any reason for another traveler to suspect him as being one?

The outline of the horse-person appearing from without the darkness, however, was too much for Gwathur to take. Quickly scrambling to his feet, he carefully picked up his little friend... only to find out it was 'too late'...

(( Hope this is ok! :angel: ))

[Edited on 23/9/2005 by gwendeth]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 04:05
(OOC: Sorry about not posting the other day, granny, but I was horribly ill and too tired to get on)

"Halt!" Aeldrid's voice had become commanding. He quickly dismounted and let his hand hover near the hilt of his sword. The figure seemed to pause hesitantly, almost fearfully.

But Aeldrid was more concentrated on the small child the figure held in its arms. He would know his little sister anywhere...

"Rhyanna?" he called, gripping his undrawn sword. He was trying to approach this slow, hoping to get his sister safely away. Drawing a weapon could be disaventagous to that...although he wasn't sure if one could actually negotiate with an orc.

If he had hurt her....
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 03:40
Rhyanna's eyes fluttered and finally opened fully. She had been sleeping so soundly that it was a moment before she realized where she was, yet where she was startled her. Gwathur had her in his arms and was moving through the grass, hunched over and clutching her close to his chest.

"Gwathur? Where are we going?" she asked, still only half awake. Her eyes were beginning to focus and she realized the moon was only now beginning to move towards the west. So she hadn't been sleeping long but why had Gwathur picked her up? That was when she heard a voice so familiar to her.

"Halt!" Aeldrid's voice had become commanding. Far more commanding than Rhyanna had ever heard it before. She wriggled in Gwathur's arms. Whispering at him, she told him, "Stop, Gwathur, it's my brother. It's Aeldrid." She was twisting to be able to look over Gwathur's shoulder when she heard Aeldrid call her name.

"Rhyanna?" he called. She could see him now, standing by the side of the road, his hand on his sword.

"Aeldrid! How did you find us?" By this time, she had twisted herself around so that her head topped Gwathur's shoulder and she was clutching his neck so she could stay high enough to speak to her brother. "Oh, I am so happy to see you. Come and meet Gwathur. We're going to Imladris so he can find a healer. We could have made it on our own, I'm sure, but it's so nice that you're coming with us." She asked in a doubtful voice, "You are, aren't you?" She was staring at Aeldrid's face as the moon shone down on it. He was not looking like he was happy one little bit. "Aeldrid, what's wrong. Is Papa angry? I asked if Bronwyn could care for the animals while I was gone...it was in my note."

Then she sensed that Gwathur was not happy either. His arms held her but his body was stiff and he hadn't once turned to face Aeldrid. His head was bowed and hidden in the shadows. Though she could hear no sound, she almost thought she could FEEL a whimper in his chest.

"Gwathur, put me down, please." When her feet touched the ground, she ran to Aeldrid and hugged him. The next thing she knew she was pushed behind his back and his hand was still on his sword, as though he was about to unsheathe it. Rhyanna shoved Aeldrid aside and stood between Gwathur and her brother. With her hand on her hips, she glared at Aeldrid.

"What are you doing? You're scaring Gwathur and he doesn't need to be scared anymore than he's already been." She grabbed his sword hand, enclosing it in hers, and began to tug him towards the elf/orc, still standing with his back to them in the shadows of the tree branches. "Be polite. Come and shake hands with him. He's a friend and you are being very rude to a friend of mine." She pulled him until he stood but a few feet from Gwathur.

"Gwathur, this is my brother, Aeldrid. Aeldrid, this is Gwathur.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 05:00
"Gwathur? Where are we going?"

Gwathur shook his head, unable to answer, and was almost shaking in his fear. He didn't dare stop - he didn't dare let his face be seen. Even the slimmest chance he'd not be 'bothered', was to great for the orc-elf to take.

"Halt!"

At that, Gwathur froze, and stiffened, no longer caring about himself. Though it mean his death, he would not let one hair on his little friend's head come to any harm! He clung to Rhyanna, even when she began to squirm in his arms.

"Stop, Gwathur, it's my brother. It's Aeldrid."

Her brother? In confusion, and inexplicably, the orc-elf's fear increased, not quite sure what to think.

Listening to her chatter away as she always seemed to, Gwathur's latent elven-senses were focused on the figure behind him... and what he sensed confirmed his fears. Almost, a small moan escaped his lips, for he understood. Aeldrid had come to take Rhyanna away... and he would once more be alone... and more lost than ever.

"Gwathur, put me down, please."

Obediently, the orc-elf set his friend down, and at the sound of Rhyanna's feet hurrying to meet her brother, Gwathur nearly cried. And, to himself, he sadly whispered, "Goodbye, Rhyanna!"

"What are you doing? You're scaring Gwathur and he doesn't need to be scared anymore than he's already been. Be polite. Come and shake hands with him. He's a friend and you are being very rude to a friend of mine." She pulled him until he stood but a few feet from Gwathur.

"Gwathur, this is my brother, Aeldrid. Aeldrid, this is Gwathur."

Shaking his head, Gwathur still couldn't move. Shrinking in fear, he was quite sure that not only did his friend's brother not want to 'meet' him... but he was well aware from Rhyanna's tone and words that it was likely Aeldrid was preparing to attack. - After all... how could anyone claim 'friendship' with an orc?

And, Gwathur knew something else. Not for one instant could he consider even defending himself! No... he'd no weapons barring his teeth and hands... but he? To try and kill Rhyanna's brother? Not even in self-defense could he do that! How could he hurt his friend in such a manner?

Blinking back lonely tears, the frightened orc-elf knew he could only wait, and hope Aeldrid would just take her away and leave him be...

[Edited on 27/9/2005 by gwendeth]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 10:53
(ooc: well, here it goes - hope it's all right...)

Telerea woke with a start. She had heard voices and some commotion nearby. Carefully she sat up and concentrated – the voices came from farther off to her right, which would mean the road – and there was also the faint nicker of a horse, which sounded strangely familiar…
With one smooth movement Telerea was on her feet, staff in hand. She edged herself forward to the place where she knew her horse had been.
There was nothing there… Carefully she felt in the dark, calling out the name softly. Straining her ears, she waited for a while. There was nothing.

Great, she thought. And what shall I do now? Almost everything she owned had been in the horse’s saddle bags. And the horse had been specially trained to be her eyes. It had been her friend, too – loyal for many years… Discouraged she let herself sink to the ground. She could not afford to be melancholy now – no, she had to think.

There was only one option left. Gather up her coat and the blanket and walk to Imladris…

Determined Telerea found her way back to the road, careful to test the ground with her staff. She could not afford to stumble. After some time she stopped. Was she going into the right direction? She was confused. Well, she thought, the worst that could happen was that she backtracked to the village she had stopped at two days ago – maybe she could find help there… If this had happened closer to Imladris she would have had no problem – the territory was familiar and she had no trouble finding her way around.

She thought back to her childhood. She could hear her father’s voice, cautioning her never to wonder into unfamiliar territory. “Iell nín, “ he used to say, “You can do much and more than others in some respects, but you have to face it: being blind puts limits to what you can do. Always know those limits and never go beyond.”
She had done just that. If someone had told her she couldn’t do something she had tried it anyway – she had paid with many bruises and mishaps for her stubbornness. But it had also taught her much and now she was able to do more than most with the same handicap.

Time dragged on and she still had no idea where she was or where she was heading to. She started to feel desperate – what was she going to do if she could find no one on the road willing to assist her. She hated to be forced to ask for help, proud as she was of her independence – but without the horse she had no choice…

Suddenly she stopped, listening – there were voices in a distance… off the road to her right. She strained to hear clearly, as not to misjudge the direction. Should she risk it? What if those voices belonged to unfriendly people? She had no choice…
She drew herself up and started to walk slowly towards the voices…
gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 02:00
As terrified as he was, Gwathur's 'instincts' were alert. The sound of footsteps caught his elven ears, and he tensed further. Slow... and the 'click' of a staff, or walking-stick was there too.

A tear, and one tear only slid down a scarred cheek. Two against one? No, not even against two would he fight in front of his little friend. Not as the orc he was - it was too... 'brutal' for one with eyes as young as Rhyanna's.

Yet... if it be one to pose danger to his only friend in the world, both she - and the brother who he expected to attack at any moment - must be warned.

With that one drop still glistening in the moonlight, Gwathur gathered his courage against the anger and horror his appearance would bring, and slowly raised his head. Without moving otherwise, he looked at Rhyanna and Aeldrid.

And, a second tear joined the first - to see his friend standing in between himself and her brother. "Someone comes," Gwathur said, his voice low, and sad, and if anything - he felt more 'lost' than he had before...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 04:33
When Gwathur lifted his head, Rhyanna had a moment of pleasure, thinking at least one of them was going to give greetings to the other. Aeldrid had not said a word and it somehow annoyed her. Her brother, always so polite, was being more than rude. So Gwathur would be the one to show his manners. That was until Rhyanna caught the glint of the tear on his cheek in the moonlight. She reached across to grab his hand, which was trembling in hers, wondering what was causing him to cry.

"Gwathur?" Her voice was very gentle, her eyes questioning him.

"Someone comes," Gwathur said, his voice low, and sad. A second tear joined the first one.

Rhyanna gripped his hand while her eyes searched the world around them. "I don't see anyone, Gwathur. Where are they?" She was not afraid for herself. After all, both Aeldrid and Gwathur were here with her and neither would let anything happen to her. But she was worried for Gwathur. As she looked up at his face, his poor ruined face, she could understand just a little why he might scare others who didn't know how kind and shy he was. He was nothing like what she had always heard orcs were like...mean, vicious and cruel. But that's because she knew him now. A stranger, on the other hand, would see only his face and be frightened. So she once again began searching the area to see who was coming.

Then she too heard what he must have heard. A light footstep, then the clunk of a heavy walking stick, a light footstep and then the clunk of the walking stick. Her eyes watched the road to see if the remaining moonlight would expose the owner of the walking stick. What finally came into view from under the shadow of an overhanging tree was a tall, slender, pale haired woman, walking alone with only her stick. She would have walked right past them as though she was simply ignoring them until Rhyanna called out to her.

"Good eve to you, ma'am. 'tis late for you to be walking alone on the road. Are you lost? We have a map; we can help you find your way." Rhyanna thought briefly that perhaps this strange woman might break the silence of her brother and Gwathur. As she watched the woman, a cloud briefly covered the moon and she lost sight of the woman. When the cloud passed, she saw the woman had changed her position and was standing facing them where they stood under the branches of the tree. But she had said nothing. Rhyanna mumbled to herself...

"Where is everyone's voice tonight? Has the cat got their tongues?"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 06:49
Reaching the people was more difficult than she had thought. It almost seemed as if they were hiding from the road. The ground became ever more difficult to walk on and Telerea felt roots and twigs underfoot.

Then, quicker than she had anticipated the sounds belonging to the people was no longer in front of her, but in her back. She stopped - no one had spoken in a while, but she could hear heavy breathing. Concentrating she tried to locate the source when a voice said, "Good eve to you, ma'am. 'tis late for you to be walking alone on the road. Are you lost? We have a map; we can help you find your way." She turned around and faced the direction of the sound.

The voice sounded young - like a child's and the language was definitely Gondorian. What was a child doing here? Telerea grew suspicious. Her brows slowly drew together while she was thinking. Maybe this hadn't been such a good idea. She should have just walked on until she reached a village...
But wait. Her keen senses had picked up on something. There were two others there - one on either side of the child. And one of them seemed to be of her kind. "Mae govannen, " she started the formal greeting, then changed her mind and used another phrase, not as official, "Saesa omentien lle (Pleasure meeting you)" Then after there was still no answer she went on, "Cormamin lindua ele lle (My heart sings to see thee)."

There was still no answer and Telerea didn't know what to make of it. After a while, she reluctantly addressed the child -"Good eve to you, too - I," she was looking for the right words,"need some assistance - I was traveling toward Imladris when my horse was stolen. If you could be so kind as to point me into the right direction..."

She hated to ask for help and she hated to have to point out to people that she couldn't see. Hopefully this embarrassing revelation would not be necessary. If only the ellon she had sensed would speak... Oh this was so humiliating.

But since she had no other chance. She stood tall and waited for the answer, which she hoped would finally come.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: September 27, 2005 07:52
Gwathur winced when Rhyanna called out to the stranger, his oddly-colored eyes were still on Aeldrid, wondering what his friend's brother was going to do.

Rhyanna had taken his hand... and almost, he clung to it for the comfort and friendship it held for him.
"Mae govannen, " she started the formal greeting, then changed her mind and used another phrase, not as official, "Saesa omentien lle (Pleasure meeting you)" Then after there was still no answer she went on, "Cormamin lindua ele lle (My heart sings to see thee)."

There was still no answer and Telerea didn't know what to make of it. After a while, she reluctantly addressed the child -"Good eve to you, too - I," she was looking for the right words,"need some assistance - I was traveling toward Imladris when my horse was stolen. If you could be so kind as to point me into the right direction..."

Stunned, Gwathur turned, for once 'forgetting' his appearance for a split second, to stare at the woman... no... what was the word? - Elleth? - Yes... that was it... he thought.

So long it had been since he'd actually heard his native tongue being spoken, though, except for the first two words, the meanings had been 'lost' to him. - And, even to them... he was struggling to recall the 'proper' response.

But then, remembering 'why' he could not, set the orc-elf to shivering. Aeldrid was forgotten - though Rhyanna was not, for he was still holding her hand tightly. Yet... the... elleth's face remained unchanged! No 'sign' of horror - no fear... no... 'disgust' - at all!!

Swallowing hard, Gwathur threw Rhyanna a glance that sought encouragement, and then - hesitantly... the ork-elf's voice was barely above a whisper when he spoke.

"L-le... swe-sui-suilannon?"* and the greeting came out as a 'question' as he fought to 'pronounce' it correctly.

And... "Go-goh-go..." and giving up on it, Gwathur flushed deeply, which brought out the scars on his face in stark contrast to his 'normal' ('orcish-like') coloring.

"F-f-orgive... It has been... long... since I have used that speech. I - we - I... I am going to Imladris... I hope," Gwathur stuttered, and stared at the ground - not daring to hope that if Aeldrid took Rhyanna home (which he truly did not want); that this other person might help him find the way instead...

* Le suilannon - I greet you

[Edited on 28/9/2005 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 07:44
Rhyanna stared at the fair haired woman and her mouth dropped open when she heard the soft voice of the stranger speaking something she did not understand.

"Mae govannen, " the woman said. When the small group did not respond, she spoke again.

"Saesa omentien lle (Pleasure meeting you)" Then after there was still no answer she went on, "Cormamin lindua ele lle (My heart sings to see thee)."

It took a moment for it to register in Rhyanna's mind but suddenly, even in just the moonlight, she realized she was looking at an elf. She had never seen one of the Eldar before (other than Gwathur, of course, who was not really an elf anymore, she thought), though she had heard how beautiful they were, and the one before her did not disappoint. So tall, so fair, so soft spoken....Rhyanna's eyes were like saucers as she watched the elf maiden in awe. Not understanding what the beautiful creature was saying, she simply stood there, staring.....

-"Good eve to you, too - I," she was looking for the right words,"need some assistance - I was traveling toward Imladris when my horse was stolen. If you could be so kind as to point me into the right direction..."

"You speak the Common tongue," Rhyanna smiled in relief. She so wanted to talk to the elf maiden but had no understanding of the words the she had first spoken. "Well, we are headed for Imladris also. You could join us and we could travel together. We have a map so we know the way," Rhyanna told her, all the while thinking how exciting that would be....to travel with a beautiful creature like this... she sighed deeply in wonder.

Suddenly, she felt Gwathur's hand grip hers even tighter for a moment and then she heard his voice. Her head snapped around to stare at him.

"L-le... swe-sui-suilannon? Go-goh-go..... F-f-orgive... It has been... long... since I have used that speech. I - we - I... I am going to Imladris... I hope," Gwathur stuttered, and stared at the ground.

"Gwathur!! You speak the elves language??? I didn't know that. Why didn't you tell me?" Rhyanna blurted out. Then she turned back to the elf maiden. "Well that's good, isn't it? You two can talk to each other on the way," She smiled from ear to ear, just as though she had accomplished some great feat. "Aeldrid, do you know how to speak like the elves? You've never told me too much about your meetings with them...at least not as much as Papa has told me." She wished for her brother to say something, anything. He had been so silent since she had made the introductions to Gwathur.

Turning back to the elf maiden, she asked, "Would it be too rude to ask your name, especially since you are going to travel with us?" Rhyanna, as usual, had come to her own conclusions and simply assumed that the lovely elf would join their trek to Imladris. "My name is Rhyanna, this silent man next to me is my brother, Aeldrid, and the man on this other side is Gwathur. He needs healing as he has been badly hurt. That's why we're going to Imladris...to find a healer." Rhyanna patiently waited for all her questions to be answered, realizing that, like Papa often told her, she spoke too fast, asked too many questions, and gave little room for anyone to find the space to answer. She took a deep breath and then closed her mouth, wanting to cover it with her small hand to keep the words inside for a few minutes.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email