Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: "Going Home" (Permission by PM only)
on: December 21, 2005 02:09
Aeldrid had set to work, treating the fawn skin. With a shrug, Mîrion went to take a seat beside Arthiel, who was watching the potatoes boil. With a grin, he slid his arm around her waist and asked, "Do you remember that time, when you burned water? Nothing left in that poor pot..."

In response, Arthiel pushed at his shoulder, causing his torso to sway to the right and back slightly. With a tone of jest, she replied, "Oh you...just because I can't cook..." Then, her eyes watched Rhyanna set up a small station where the meat would roast. She sighed, obviously Rhyanna's family had close, loving relations with one another. It was not as though Mîrion and Arthiel did not possess close relations with their children...they loved them very much...but their time together had been too short, especially when one lived to see the seasons pass for hundreds of years.

While the meat was roasting, Rhyanna asked many questions of everyone but the one that mattered most to her was the one she asked Mîrion and Arthiel. "Tomorrow, we will begin to cross the plains of Rohan, I think. I'm trying to remember my Papa's maps and I'm sure that is where we will be next. How long will it take to get to Rivendell after we leave here?" She wanted Tulcendor to reach his home as soon as possible.

"Hmm..." Mîrion responded, thinking for a couple moments. He stroked his chin thoughtfully with his free hand. "I would think at least a couple of weeks. That is, however, if we make smooth, and uninterrupted travel..." And he had his doubts about that, seeing as how much had already taken place since they left that barn. "Perhaps a few weeks, a month, if there are distractions along the way..." And of course, there was Telerea's condition to consider.

"Do you feel well enough to travel?" Mîrion inquired of Telerea, referring to her recent lack of energy, the pain and her fever.

((I can change the time frame accordingly, if you feel that I'm off.))
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 07:23
Aeldrid finished the deer and smiled as his little sister took over the cooking. Turning to Tulcendor, he showed the half-orc how to stretch the skin over a simple frame made quickly with some decent limbs of wood from the firewood pile, then showed Tulcendor how to use the animal's brains to cure the pelt.

"We'll have to keep that and put it on every day for a little while; and we'll tighten it on the frame until it is ready." he said, then handed the frame to Tulcendor. "You can hold on to that if you like and I'll help you with it every morning when we stop; after sword practice."

"Tomorrow, we will begin to cross the plains of Rohan, I think. I'm trying to remember my Papa's maps and I'm sure that is where we will be next. How long will it take to get to Rivendell after we leave here?" Rhyanna said. Aeldrid and Tulcendor both looked at Mirion for an answer.

"Hmm..." Mîrion responded, thinking for a couple moments. He stroked his chin thoughtfully with his free hand. "I would think at least a couple of weeks. That is, however, if we make smooth, and uninterrupted travel...Perhaps a few weeks, a month, if there are distractions along the way..."

A month. Aeldrid bit back a deep breath. Hopefully it would only take a month. They had had some bad luck recently.

"Do you feel well enough to travel?" Mirion asked Telerea. Aeldrid looked at her, concern and some residue guilt in his blue eyes.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2005 07:42
Telerea had been feeling better for a while, although the wound in her side still caused her considerable pain. It did not feel to her as if the fever was very high. But she felt very weak and was glad for not having to move much. Yet she knew that she was holding the group up. She could not stay here by herself - that she knew, but she also knew that they would have to get moving again or else they would never reach Imladris...

She was still deep in thought, pondering on how she would be able to travel, when she heard Tulcendor return. From the conversation that followed she learned that he had returned with a fawn. To her surprise, Aeldrid volunteered to cook it. After what they had eaten the past days, a fawn sounded like a real luxury, but the moment Telerea thought abut eating her throat closed and she decided that it would not be the right time yet. Still, the roasting meat had a delicious smell.

And then Rhyanna asked the question that she had been afraid of. She could sense that her little friend wanted to move on and that she was growing impatient, although Rhyanna did not show it in front of her.

"Do you feel well enough to travel?" Mîrion inquired of Telerea. For a moment she hesitated, but then she had to think again of Rhyanna and of how disappointed she would be if they did not start moving soon.

"I think I'll be doing fine," she lied. "If you want to start tonight, I will manage." In truth she did not even know how she would be able to get up from the floor and onto a horse. But, she told herself, you simply have to ignore the pain - the mission we are on is more important and who knows, the clock might be ticking for Tulcendor's recovery - the longer they waited, the less chance there might be for him to ever be himself again.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 12:17
Rhyanna waited for someone to answer her question about how long it would take to reach Rivendell and it was Mîrion answered.

"Hmm..." Mîrion responded, thinking for a couple moments. He stroked his chin thoughtfully with his free hand. "I would think at least a couple of weeks. That is, however, if we make smooth, and uninterrupted travel..." And he had his doubts about that, seeing as how much had already taken place since they left that barn. "Perhaps a few weeks, a month, if there are distractions along the way..." And of course, there was Telerea's condition to consider.

"A month?" Ryanna asked. She glanced around the group to see how everyone reacted to this. She herself had thought they'd be there in a few days, knowing nothing about the great size of Middle Earth, never having been further from home than the small village near the farm. "It will be mid-autumn when we get there then," she said, glancing down at her lightweight summer clothes, wondering if they would still be warm enough at the end of their journey. She also wondered what Mîrion meant by distractions.

She noticed the slight grimace on Aeldrid's face as well. He had hardly expected this length of time either but then he only traveled to Gondor or Edoras. She had never heard tales of his going anywhere else.

"Do you feel well enough to travel?" Mirion asked Telerea. "Oh dear, Telerea," thought Rhyanna, and glanced at the elf maiden.

"I think I'll be doing fine," she lied. "If you want to start tonight, I will manage." Rhyanna saw the pain in her eyes and hurried to her side.

"No! We cannot leave tonight. You are not well enough. If it's going to take a whole month, what is one more day added to that. You'll feel better tomorrow night. We can go then," twisting around to Tulcendor, "right? Can't we give Telerea one more day?" she asked her friend, who was holding the framed pelt that Aeldrid had handed him. Little did she know how much she would need the warmth of that pelt before journey's end. "Can't we, Arthiel, Mîrion? Aeldrid?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 12:49
Aeldrid finished the deer and smiled as his little sister took over the cooking. Turning to Tulcendor, he showed the half-orc how to stretch the skin over a simple frame made quickly with some decent limbs of wood from the firewood pile, then showed Tulcendor how to use the animal's brains to cure the pelt.

Fascinated, and not just a little 'awed', the orc-elf's eyes never left Aeldrid as the man worked. He, Tulcendor, felt... almost... like a 'child'. - As he had so very long ago, when - when ada had taught him something the ellon had considered of 'importance', or of 'value' for his young son to know.

"We'll have to keep that and put it on every day for a little while; and we'll tighten it on the frame until it is ready." he said, then handed the frame to Tulcendor. "You can hold on to that if you like and I'll help you with it every morning when we stop; after sword practice."

Taking the framed pelt from Aeldrid, Tulcendor held it 'gingerly', - almost... 'lovingly', and half-afraid that his gnarled fingers might grasp it too tightly and accidentally break it.

Nonetheless, his scarred cheeks colored, when his small friend's brother then mentioned sword practice! - And, once more, Tulcendor thought to himself that he didn't 'deserve' to have friends like these! - Yet, after Aeldrid's comment after the orc-battle, he could only thank the man in his own quiet, gravelly-sounding voice.

But then, the Healer's husband answered Rhyanna's question of 'how long' it would take to reach Imladris.

"Hmm..." Mîrion responded, thinking for a couple moments. He stroked his chin thoughtfully with his free hand. "I would think at least a couple of weeks. That is, however, if we make smooth, and uninterrupted travel...Perhaps a few weeks, a month, if there are distractions along the way..."

Since he, himself, had no knowledge of Middle Earth's geography, Tulcendor merely gave a silent nod. - After all... it had been five hundred years... and although he was (quite!) anxious for his healing to begin, to know again that the 'end' (he hoped!) was within his grasp was 'enough'.

"Do you feel well enough to travel?" Mirion asked Telerea. "Oh dear, Telerea," thought Rhyanna, and glanced at the elf maiden.

"I think I'll be doing fine," she lied. "If you want to start tonight, I will manage." Rhyanna saw the pain in her eyes and hurried to her side.

"No! We cannot leave tonight. You are not well enough. If it's going to take a whole month, what is one more day added to that. You'll feel better tomorrow night. We can go then," twisting around to Tulcendor, "right? Can't we give Telerea one more day?" she asked her friend, who was holding the framed pelt that Aeldrid had handed him. "Can't we, Arthiel, Mîrion? Aeldrid?"

Setting the frame down carefully against the cave wall, Tulcendor came closer to the group, and after seeing Telerea's pale face, he slowly knelt beside his very best friend. "We'll wait as long as it takes for Telerea to heal, Rhyanna!" he said, and met her dark brown eyes straightly with his oddly-golden ones. "One day... two... or more," and giving her a shy smile, squeezed the girl's hand gently. "My healing can wait for hers, Rhyanna," Tulcendor went on, "don't worry!"

And then, the orc-elf looked up at Aeldrid and the two elves to see if they, too, agreed...

[Edited on 22/12/2005 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2005 07:46
Telerea was overwhelmed by all the kindness which surrounded her and she felt like hugging them all - of course, in her present condition getting up would not have been a good idea, but her intent was mirrored in her face.

"Thank you Rhyanna and Tulcendor, but I think I will be able to ride tonight - we need to keep on moving and the sooner we get to Imladris, the better. As I said, I will manage... don't you worry about me."

For once she was really thankfull she could not see their faces.
But her experience had taught her to sense emotions and so she did have a vivid image of what they would look like now. She was certain that they were all looking at her, concerned for her....

It had been a long time, for she had wondered around for a long time, since anyone had cared that much for her. However, she somehow had to prove them that she would be able to ride tonight. She took a deep breath, summoning all her will power and all the energy she could ....... and got up.

She stood, the pain shooting through her whole body, but she stood. Her breathing was labored and she needed a moment before she could speak. "See," she said with some effort, "You will not need to wait on my account."

Nevertheless she realized that she had done something she should not have and inwardly cursed her own stubbornness, when she felt hands guide her back to a propped up sitting position. No one had spoken yet.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2005 06:28
Aeldrid got to his feet as Telerea did. His blue eyes grew even more concerned and he took a step forward.

"See," she said with some effort, "You will not need to wait on my account."

The young man instantly was at her side and gently moving her to sit. He heard her labored breath and frowned severly.

"My lady, you are not well." he said after a moment. "We will not leave until you can move." His voice was firm and would brooke no arguement.

If it came down to it, he would wait here with her and catch up to the others.

Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 25, 2005 11:33
Arthiel grimaced the moment Telerea started to stand, but she had been determined to prove that she was well, at least to ride. The elleth's breathing was laboured, and Arthiel could tell that she was in severe pain. Then Aeldrid was at her side and gently moving her to sit. He heard her labored breath and frowned severely, saying, "We will not leave until you can move." His voice was firm and would brooke no argument. If it came down to it, Aeldrid would wait here with her and catch up to the others.

And as if Mîrion had read the young man's thoughts, he too donated his support, "My wife and I will wait as well, until you are well enough to travel again. It would be best, and also give us time to wind down, absorb all the recent events." He knew that both Rhyanna and Tulcendor were both eager to reach Rivendell, so that Tulcendor's healing begin. He didn't know where Telerea and Aeldrid stood, on a personal level. But he was in no particular hurry to get back home, no pressing duties awaited him and he loved travel, journeying. On the flip side, though, he wasn't exactly keen on staying in this cave for too long, but he was sure that he could find things to do, if not wander off.

It seemed the matter had been settled. After all, it was five against one. Arthiel decided to change the subject "You must be exhausted, Telerea, we've got some food cooking. I know after last night...um, do you think you could eat meat? If not, you're welcome to share the potatoes Rhyanna kindly found for me." Pausing for a moment, she looked at the food cooking, and asking no one in particular, just whomever knew, "Is the food ready, yet?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 10:24
Rhyanna had been tending the pot of potatoes and turning the spit but she was watching as Telerea seemed intent on proving she could travel on when darkness arrived. However, when the elf maiden forced herself to stand, it was obvious to all that she would never be able to travel this night. Rhyanna smiled in relief as her brother caught Telerea and eased her back into a sitting position.

"My lady, you are not well." he said after a moment. "We will not leave until you can move." His voice was firm and would brooke no arguement.

Mîrion offered support from Arthiel and him as well. "My wife and I will wait as well, until you are well enough to travel again. It would be best, and also give us time to wind down, absorb all the recent events."

Telerea yielded gratefully and sat back, her breathing calmed and the pain eased from her expression. Arthiel, in an effort to change the subject spoke to the wounded elf maiden, saying, "You must be exhausted, Telerea, we've got some food cooking. I know after last night...um, do you think you could eat meat? If not, you're welcome to share the potatoes Rhyanna kindly found for me." Pausing for a moment, she looked at the food cooking, and asking no one in particular, just whomever knew, "Is the food ready, yet?"

Rhyanna cheerfully turned to the group and announced proudly that supper was ready. "Everyone dig out your bowls. And Aeldrid, would you carve the venison, please?" As the bowls were handed to her, she filled them with some of the meat and a helping of potatoes for all, except Arthiel, who she gave an extra large helping of potatoes but none of the deer meat. Then she sat back with her own bowl, smiling with satisfaction. She just knew her mama would be so proud of her.

The dark day turned into a darker night, and the rain poured down in torrents. Even though they would be waiting another day before they traveled, she was glad they had found this cave. To be out on the road, or even camping out in the open, would have made them all uncomfortable. At least here they were warm and dry....and no longer hungry. As the long night passed, the rain continued to fall and the next morning was still drab and dark and damp. They had enough food to stay for several days but Rhyanna was restless.

"Tulcendor, will you come with me, please? I want to find some greens to add to the potatoes and meat and I know where I saw some. It's not raining hard now so if we hurry, we won't get too wet. We can check out the road too and see if it is too muddy to travel tonight while we're outside. Will you come?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 12:08
Seeing that Telerea was in Aeldrid's good hands, Tulcendor turned to examining the pelt he would (when ready) give to Rhyanna. The fur was of a soft brown, and the pattern of white spots on the fawn's coat intriguing to him.

But, when the food was finally ready, the orc-elf set the frame aside, and joined the others for their meal.

When the rain started, Tulcendor was grateful for the cave's cover - both for the injured elleth's and his small friend's sakes. Not for anything would he have either exposed to weather such as this on *his* account...

"Tulcendor, will you come with me, please? I want to find some greens to add to the potatoes and meat and I know where I saw some. It's not raining hard now so if we hurry, we won't get too wet. We can check out the road too and see if it is too muddy to travel tonight while we're outside. Will you come?"

After glancing at Aeldrid for permission, Tulcendor nodded. "That's rather smart of you, Rhyanna," he smiled, and keeping one hand on the hilt of his appropriated orc-blade, he took his friend's hand in the other. "We won't be gone long!" Tulcendor promised their friends, and happy just to be 'exploring' with Rhyanna, they headed out to find the greens for the healer...

((sorry it's not the best - will be home tomorrow!))
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2006 10:36
Aeldrid smiled at his little sister as she properly helped hand out food, looking for all the world like a tiny lady. He kept an eye on Telerea out of the corner of his eye as well and brought her bowl to her when it was filled.

Once his own was, he sat next to her and said little. Aeldrid was not good with petty conversation and the idea of trying made him nervous.

"Tulcendor, will you come with me, please? I want to find some greens to add to the potatoes and meat and I know where I saw some. It's not raining hard now so if we hurry, we won't get too wet. We can check out the road too and see if it is too muddy to travel tonight while we're outside. Will you come?" Rhyanna said. The half orc glanced at Aeldrid.

The young man paused, then nodded. "Don't stray far." he said to Rhyanna - and in a voice that meant it.

"We won't be gone long!" Tulcendor promised. Aeldrid nodded again and watched them leave, then looked at Telerea.

He wanted to ask her how she felt now, but for some reason he couldn't seem to speak properly. And the last thing he wanted was to start babbling like an idiot again.

Feeling strangely like a child again, he focused on his food.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 03, 2006 05:43
When Rhyanna had asked Tulcendor to come with her, he glanced at Aeldrid at once.

The young man paused, then nodded. "Don't stray far." he said to Rhyanna - and in a voice that meant it.

"We won't be gone long!" Tulcendor promised. Aeldrid nodded again and watched them leave, then looked at Telerea. Rhyanna heard his words and saw his nod and then watched him turn to look at Telerea. She knew he cared for the elf maiden and she hoped the lovely woman would recover soon so Aeldrid could lose the look of pain in his eyes.

"No, Aeldrid, we won't be long and I promise I won't stray from Tulcendor's side," she called over her shoulder to her brother. Then, grabbing the orc/elf's hand, she ran with him from the cave, and then up over the bank of the stream.

When they were standing in the meadow once again, Rhyanna pointed toward where she had dug up the potatoes from the ground. "The greens were very near there, Tulcendor. Let's go pick them. Greens are good for you. Mama says so." She ran across the field on her long legs and suddenly knelt down, picking at something in the grasses. She glanced back at Tulcendor plodding across the meadow and called, "Here! Here they are. There are enough for making a good stew." When Tulcendor reached her side, she handed him a bunch of the greens. "Here, hold them and I'll pick some more."

As he took them from her hands, she watched his face. He was staring across the field and he stood as though he was listening to something. "What is it, Tulcendor? What do you hear?" She stood up, her ears straining to hear what it was that her friend was listening to. Off in the distance, she could hear the sound of men's voices, the same men that he had heard earlier, though she did not know that at this moment. Still, whoever they were, they represented a threat to her friend. "Tulcendor, we must go. Hurry. We must get back to the cave before they come this way." She started off across the meadow, stopping only to grab Tulcendor's hand and pull him with her. They had just made the edge of the riverbank when three men came from out of the cover of the trees on the far side of the meadow. They had not seen the two of them yet.

Rhyanna pushed Tulcendor over the edge, where he slid down below the edge of the bank. She whispered, "Go get Aeldrid and Mîrion. Hurry." She was standing alone on the bank as the men called across the fields. "Hey! Girl! What are you doing out here in the middle of nowhere?" Glancing over her shoulder, she said urgently to Tulcendor, "Go! Hurry! Tell them where I am and send them back fast. Stay in the cave yourself though."

She stood straight and tall, calling back at the men. "I'm here picking greens. See?" She held up a handful of greens for them to see. She walked away from the bank so they would not see Tulcendor, as they were rapidly approaching her. They were rough looking men, dressed in tattered clothes. All carried swords and bows and arrows. One held a group of rabbits over his shoulder.

"You don't look like anyone's child that I know," one of the men said sharply. "Where did you come from?" He glanced over her shoulder to see if she was alone. "You ever see this girl before, Hidren? I ain't never seen her," he spoke to one of his companions. He grabbed her arm and pulled her closer to him. "Right pretty little thing, though," he said, leering at her.

Rhyanna pulled her arm from his grasp, and backed away. Her knees were shaking under her but she kept a smile on her face as she spoke to the man with the rabbits. "Ah, I was hunting greens and you were hunting rabbits, I see. I did see some nice rabbits over there by those bushes," she said, pointing to the bushes away from the stream. Her heart was pounding and she was praying Tulcendor would hurry, as she was more frightened than she had ever been before in her life. She wanted to look over her shoulder to see if anyone was coming but was afraid to give away their hiding place. Tears were almost ready to fall but she could not let them know how scared she was. "Perhaps you could find them if you went over there," she said, her voice quavering.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 04, 2006 06:46
"No, Aeldrid, we won't be long and I promise I won't stray from Tulcendor's side," she called over her shoulder to her brother. Then, grabbing the orc/elf's hand, she ran with him from the cave, and then up over the bank of the stream.

When they were standing in the meadow once again, Rhyanna pointed toward where she had dug up the potatoes from the ground. "The greens were very near there, Tulcendor. Let's go pick them. Greens are good for you. Mama says so." She ran across the field on her long legs and suddenly knelt down, picking at something in the grasses. She glanced back at Tulcendor plodding across the meadow and called, "Here! Here they are. There are enough for making a good stew." When Tulcendor reached her side, she handed him a bunch of the greens. "Here, hold them and I'll pick some more."

At first, amused by Rhyanna's explaining the 'advantages' of the greens, Tulcendor's attention was abruptly 'caught' by the sound of harsh voices in the distance.

His little friend hadn't heard it... but it was clear to the orc-elf's better hearing. - And, clenching his fists, Tulcendor recognized them at once. They were the three men who'd attempted to 'assault' Arthiel!

As he took them from her hands, she watched his face. He was staring across the field and he stood as though he was listening to something. "What is it, Tulcendor? What do you hear?" She stood up, her ears straining to hear what it was that her friend was listening to. Off in the distance, she could hear the sound of men's voices, the same men that he had heard earlier, though she did not know that at this moment.

"It's the men from the Village," Tulcendor replied gruffly, and fumed inwardly he'd not thought to bring a weapon along. - Not, he knew, that he wasn't 'capable' of fighting hand-to-hand, but he didn't want Rhyanna to 'see' it - if at all possible...

"Tulcendor, we must go. Hurry. We must get back to the cave before they come this way." She started off across the meadow, stopping only to grab Tulcendor's hand and pull him with her.

In complete agreement, the orc-elf hurried along with her, but kept sending anxious glances behind them as the voices came ever closer.

They had just made the edge of the riverbank when three men came from out of the cover of the trees on the far side of the meadow. They had not seen the two of them yet.

Rhyanna pushed Tulcendor over the edge, where he slid down below the edge of the bank. She whispered, "Go get Aeldrid and Mîrion. Hurry." She was standing alone on the bank as the men called across the fields. "Hey! Girl! What are you doing out here in the middle of nowhere?" Glancing over her shoulder, she said urgently to Tulcendor, "Go! Hurry! Tell them where I am and send them back fast. Stay in the cave yourself though."

She stood straight and tall, calling back at the men. "I'm here picking greens. See?"

Writhing inwardly, and very much suspecting that Aeldrid would have his hide for leaving Rhyanna behind for even an instant, Tulcendor debated for only a brief moment. It made no difference that she was more concerned with *his* safety than her own, but truly, the cave wasn't that far away.

Ducking down, and racing through the trees, Tulcendor burst inside it - and ignoring his little friend's 'admonition' to remain there, grabbed his appropriated orc-blade.

"Aeldrid! Mîrion!" he gasped, "The men from the Village have got Rhyanna!" he then cried, deciding quickly that if Rhyanna 'complained' about his not staying behind, Tulcendor could always use the 'excuse' of having to lead the way back to where she was. "Follow me! Hurry!!" and took off running again...
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: January 04, 2006 12:59
Mîrion finished his bowl of food with a big sigh. He glanced at Arthiel, who was still eating her serving of potatoes. She returned the gesture with a playful look of disgust. "Were you that hungry?" She asked him quietly, then looking at him semi-thoughtfully she went on, "It took you only... five minutes to finish that bowl of food." Men, Arthiel thought, slightly annoyed, did all they think of was food? Then, she was suddenly shocked at herself. Why was she thinking like this, without a good reason? As if correcting her thoughts, she sent her husband and apologetic gaze.

Tulcendor and Rhyanna had left the cave, searching for greens among a couple of other things. It was only raining slightly now, but it seemed like there would be heavy rainfall tonight. While they waited for the two return the Elven couple remained in their sitting positions, conversing quietly. Arthiel, though, did sneak a few glances in Aeldrid and Telerea's direction. They looked uncomfortable, not knowing what to say. At least, Aeldrid did.

"Arthiel, I -" Mîrion began, sounding as if he had something serious to say...but he was interrupted as Tulcendor made his attention grabbing entrance into the cave.

"Aeldrid! Mîrion!" Tulcendor gasped, "The men from the Village have got Rhyanna! Follow me! Hurry!!" and took off running again...

Arthiel's heart skipped a beat. The, those men from the village? The ones who had tried so indecently to kiss her and .... more? What were they going to do with Rhyanna? And had they followed them? She then looked at Mîrion, who must've assumed that they were the same men. If he was angry...he didn't let it show on his face, not even his eyes. He just quickly grabbed his sword and rushed out to follow Tulcendor without even glancing back at his wife...
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2006 07:33
Aeldrid was on his feet in an instant, following on Mirion's heels. His heart had nearly stopped when he'd heard Tulcendor's words.

It didn't take long for the two of them to come upon the men. His face darkened, but since none of them were touching his sister, he did not draw his sword.

Instead, he slowed to a stride, coming to stand with his sister. His face was stern and set, blue eyes making a clear warning.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 06:30
When the three men reached the slope below where Rhyanna was standing, Tulcendor waved Aeldrid and Mîrion to go up first.

Pausing for a brief moment, he took several deep breaths as Tulcendor tried to control his rage and anxiety on his small friend's behalf... though his fists were clenched tightly around the blade he was carrying. "I am not an 'orc'!" Tulcendor whispered to himself, "NOT!"

And, although his golden eyes were still glowing 'orcishly', he then climbed up to stand on Rhyanna's other side... quite sure she'd be 'upset' with him for coming back. - Yet, Tulcendor could not stay 'hidden'. - He *would* not! He needed to 'face' these men - if only to 'prove' to himself that he 'could'.

The sight of him, of course, caused the three men to fall back a few steps. Sneers appeared on their faces, and taunts filled the air.

Quite 'ready' Tulcendor was, to tear into the offending men... but he was trying very hard not to... not in front of Rhyanna.

Yet, Tulcendor raised his chin defiantly. In his gravelly voice, he 'challenged' the villagers. "'Bothering' an elleth isn't 'enough' for you?" he inquired, and his glowing eyes 'flashed' dangerously. "What 'man'," he went on scathingly, "would even think of assaulting a CHILD? - Did you think she would not have 'champions' to protect her?"

Never taking his eyes off the men, "Rhyanna... go back to the others!" Tulcendor then said, hoping very much his young friend would obey...
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 07:19
"Tulcendor." Aeldrid's voice was low and stern. He put a hand on the half-orc's shoulder and pulled him back a little, before lifting his sister in his arms.

"She is safe now." he said quietly to Tulcendor. "Be at peace; I do not want a fight to break out."

He turned to the other men. "If we are on your property, then I am willing to pay to spend the rest of the day and night here. We have wounded and need the shelter."

The young man's words were cordial, but his eyes were like ice.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 11:04
Telerea listened carefully to what was going on. Secretly she felt guilty. If she had healed better they would have long passed beyond the reach of those men from the village. She had heard Arthiel's tale.

When the men stormed out to help Rhyanna, Telerea could only hope that everything was all right. She did not want that lively little girl hurt in any way. In the days she had traveled with them Telerea had not only found out that she had some feelings for Aeldrid, she had also come to love little Rhyanna like a sister and would have done everything to ensure her well being.

She somehow wished she was strong enough to go out and help. but her previous experience had taught her that she was far from being able to do what she wanted. Close to her she sensed Arthiel, who seemed to be trying to busy herself with something. Telerea desperately wanted to say something comforting, for she sensed how tense and nervous Arthiel was.

Struggling for words she finally said, "I'm sure they'll be all right. When they see them those men won't even fight and I'm sure Rhyanna is fine..." She hoped desperately her words were true....
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 12:58
Rhyanna stood before the three scoundrels, desperately trying to distract them and lead their attention from her. She pointed out the greens she was carrying, spoke of rabbits she had seen, asking after their families as though she knew them, anything to give Tulcendor time to get back to the cave and get help. It was but a few moments when Aeldrid was suddenly at her side. Within seconds, even Tulcendor was on her other side, something she had not wanted these men to see. Traveling with the orcish looking elf would only add to their curiosity and anger as well. Yet something in her heart warmed that he would ignore public opinion to protect her. She could feel Tulcendor's anger and heard his voice as he growled at the ruffians.

"'Bothering' an elleth isn't 'enough' for you?" he inquired, and his glowing eyes 'flashed' dangerously. "What 'man'," he went on scathingly, "would even think of assaulting a CHILD? - Did you think she would not have 'champions' to protect her?"

Aeldrid must have realized how very angry Tulcendor was as he placed his hand on the the orc/elf's shoulder and pulled him back a little, then lifting Rhyanna in his strong arms.

"Tulcendor. She is safe now." he said quietly to Tulcendor. "Be at peace; I do not want a fight to break out."

He turned to the other men. "If we are on your property, then I am willing to pay to spend the rest of the day and night here. We have wounded and need the shelter."

One of the men, the one who had grabbed Rhyanna's arm earlier, stared at Aeldrid, a gleam of viciousness in his eye. "So you are camping nearby, are you? Well, no, this land belongs to a friend of mine, which is why we were hunting on it." Looking quickly at the other two, his lips curled evilly. "And we plan to do some 'night hunting' as well. So I'd advise you to stay close to your campsite if you do not wish to be in the path of our arrows."

Rhyanna cringed. Oh, Aeldrid, that was a mistake, she thought. If they know we are staying nearby, they would not stop to gather a group of their friends and attack at night when the group was sleeping. She glanced at Tulcendor and knew he felt the same fear. They would have to move along at nightfall, carrying Telerea as carefully as they could. They could not stay here now.

The men turned, and began striding through the field away from the stream, the head man turning back with a leer on his face to wink at Rhyanna. Only when they disappeared into the woods on the other side of the field did Aeldrid set Rhyanna on the ground, turning with her hand in his and clambering back down the slope to the stream. Following it back to the cave, they entered, and Rhyanna was relieved to see Telerea sitting, albeit propped up against the wall, and eating from a small bowl. Rhyanna sighed, thinking perhaps it would not be too difficult for the elf maiden after all to ride on Aeldrid's horse. She glanced at Tulcendor, her brown eyes searching his golden ones. Did he have the same thoughts and fears about the possible tactics of those men as she did?
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 01:57
Mîrion had gotten a good look at the three men who had tried to take advantage of his wife, and now the young Rhyanna. Did these men know no bounds? It was shameless. But he kept these thoughts to himself as it would not help if a fight broke out, though he was so tempted to be rid of these men.

Aeldrid turned to the other men. "If we are on your property, then I am willing to pay to spend the rest of the day and night here. We have wounded and need the shelter."

One of the men, the one who had grabbed Rhyanna's arm earlier, stared at Aeldrid, a gleam of viciousness in his eye. "So you are camping nearby, are you? Well, no, this land belongs to a friend of mine, which is why we were hunting on it." Looking quickly at the other two, his lips curled evilly. "And we plan to do some 'night hunting' as well. So I'd advise you to stay close to your campsite if you do not wish to be in the path of our arrows."

Mîrion winced inwardly. It looked like they had no choice. They had to travel on with the injured Telerea. The men turned around, and only when they had disappeared from their vision did they head back to the cave. Mîrion was silent all the way, not uttering one word.

Arthiel sighed, hugging her knees. She felt so tense and nervous and she really hoped that those men hadn't touched Rhyanna, or done anything to her for that matter. No, this was her fault...if she hadn't gone into that same room as all those men then...

Struggling for words Telerea finally said, "I'm sure they'll be all right. When they see them those men won't even fight and I'm sure Rhyanna is fine..."

"I, hope you're right. I hope they're all alright, especially Rhyanna...but, are you feeling better Telerea? I'm not sure I feel safe anymore with those men on these lands now..." After Telerea had given Arthiel her response, the rest of the group returned. They all looked worried, Mîrion especially, at least to Arthiel he did. "What happened?" She asked him.

"Those men, they know we're on staying on these lands now and it would seem that they are up to no good. I think, I think that we don't have much of a choice but to continue our travels on ahead..." He trailed off, his eyes sad, looking at both Tulcendor and Aeldrid to see whether they thought the same.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 10:29
"Tulcendor." Aeldrid's voice was low and stern. He put a hand on the half-orc's shoulder and pulled him back a little, before lifting his sister in his arms.

"She is safe now." he said quietly to Tulcendor. "Be at peace; I do not want a fight to break out."

Still seething inwardly, Tulcendor made no answer… and though he knew Rhyanna was 'safe', he didn't trust the villagers at all.

Flicking his eyes quickly at both Aeldrid, and Mîrion, who was standing on the other side of Rhyanna's brother, Tulcendor wondered what the warrior-ellon was thinking. - For himself, the orc-elf had deliberately not said 'where' the two elleth were waiting… but the villager's 'attitudes' made Tulcendor even angrier.

The men turned around, and only when they had disappeared from their vision did they head back to the cave. Mîrion was silent all the way, not uttering one word.

Not saying anything, either, Tulcendor was trying to think as they walked… quite sure they would need to leave the cave… and quickly. - But, what of Telerea?

"Those men, they know we're on staying on these lands now and it would seem that they are up to no good. I think, I think that we don't have much of a choice but to continue our travels on ahead..." He trailed off, his eyes sad, looking at both Tulcendor and Aeldrid to see whether they thought the same.

Listening to the ellon, as Aeldrid set his sister down again, Tulcendor saw the 'anxious' look in Rhyanna's eyes.

Placing a gentle hand on her shoulder, hoping to reassure his small friend a bit, "We should," he agreed, his 'gravelly' voice echoing his inner turmoil… for he didn't trust those villagers at ALL! "And… we should go soon," Tulcendor added firmly, and cast an apologetic glance towards Telerea… though he knew she couldn't 'see' it.

Without waiting for the other adults to answer, Tulcendor took Rhyanna's hand in his, and headed for where they'd left their packs. Kneeling down with her to gather their things, the orc-elf smiled gravely into her eyes. "You're very brave, Rhyanna," he said, "And, thank you for trying to 'protect' me." - And, again, 'grown-up' Rhyanna flashed before his golden-colored eyes. "I’m going to be 'waiting' for you, you know," he went on quietly, and smiling a bit more widely before getting up to shoulder his bags and grab the framed pelt.

"Rhyanna and I are ready," he stated, "As soon as Telerea feels like moving on - we should go…"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 11:29
Telerea sensed the dire need in Tulcendor's voice and the relief which was feelable all around that nothing had happened to Rhyanna. She knew they would have to move and she also knew what that would mean for her. She was very determined not to complain and to bear whatever pain there was to bear, but after her failed attempt at standing, she was afraid to try again.

Voices from her past came back into her mind, voices which did not accept giving up. At first she was reluctant to listen to them, but then she could not resist. Slowly she reached for her staff, finding it not too far away. Very carefully she got up, supporting her weight with the staff, and in that way lifting it off her wounded side.

The sharp pain returned and for a moment she just stood there, breathing heavily. After a while, however, the pain was not as overwhelming anymore. Still leaning heavily on her staff, she stood up as straight as she could and pronounced to the whole group, "I am ready, whenever you are - I just need a little help with the bags..."

A faint smile crossed her lips "And," she continued, "I might need a little help to get onto a horse." Despite the pain in her side, she put on the best attempt to a real smile she could muster right now and waited for what would happen next.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 10:49
Rhyanna arrived back at the cave safely surrounded by her brother, the elf, and Tulcendor. Her legs were still shaking and her heart was full of fear as she thought of the evil expression the most forward of the men had given her before he disappeared into the woods. She knew he would come looking for their group later and all she wanted to do was run away, as far away as she could get. She listened as the Mîrion and Tulcendor apparently agreed with her instincts and for that she was grateful. But what of Telerea...poor Telerea. Even so Rhyanna whispered, "We must go."

Placing a gentle hand on her shoulder, hoping to reassure his small friend a bit, "We should," he agreed, his 'gravelly' voice echoing his inner turmoil… for he didn't trust those villagers at ALL! "And… we should go soon," Tulcendor added firmly, and cast an apologetic glance towards Telerea… though he knew she couldn't 'see' it.

Without waiting for the other adults to answer, Tulcendor took Rhyanna's hand in his, and headed for where they'd left their packs. Kneeling down with her to gather their things, the orc-elf smiled gravely into her eyes. "You're very brave, Rhyanna," he said, "And, thank you for trying to 'protect' me." - And, again, 'grown-up' Rhyanna flashed before his golden-colored eyes. "I’m going to be 'waiting' for you, you know," he went on quietly, and smiling a bit more widely before getting up to shoulder his bags and grab the framed pelt.

"Rhyanna and I are ready," he stated, "As soon as Telerea feels like moving on - we should go…"

Rhyanna tugged at his sleeve, and when he bent low enough that he was level with her, she whispered again. "Tulcendor, if you think Telerea would be better riding on her own horse, with you, that would be alright. I can ride with Aeldrid. I think Telerea's horse 'understands' her better and would ride gently, don't you think?"

She watched as the others packed their belongings and then watched as Telerea began to stand with the aid of her staff, accepting as gracefully as she could the new circumstances that required this of her. Rhyanna ran to her side, not touching her but wanting to be there if the elf maiden needed a hand. She could see Telerea wince with pain, could hear the heavy breathing, and tears formed in Rhyanna's eyes as she saw how brave and courageous the elf was.

Still leaning heavily on her staff, she stood up as straight as she could and pronounced to the whole group, "I am ready, whenever you are - I just need a little help with the bags..."

A faint smile crossed her lips "And," she continued, "I might need a little help to get onto a horse." Despite the pain in her side, she put on the best attempt to a real smile she could muster right now and waited for what would happen next.

Rhyanna reached down and picked up Telerea's large bags, stumbling under the weight but determined to carry it with her own. "I have your bag, Telerea. Do you think you can walk if I give you my shoulder to lean on? It's only a short distance to the horses." Rhyanna's eyes were wide as she very much admired the elf maiden and was worried for her. Turning to glance back at Tulcendor, who gave her a nod, she added, "And Tulcendor and I have talked about it. We think you should ride with him on your horse. I think your horse knows you the best and will know that you are in pain and thus ride more gently for you. Do you think that's a good idea, too?" Rhyanna was leading the elf maiden across the floor of the cave as she asked this and never saw the expression that crossed Telerea's face.

Glancing over her shoulder at Arthiel, she asked, "Do you have all your medicines packed? Did I pick them all up and give them back to you? I hope so, for we may need them again."

When all had reached the horses, who someone (Rhyanna didn't know who) had saddled, the child stopped for a moment and turned to Mîrion, Aeldrid and Tulcendor. "Thank you for coming for me. I know it's silly but for a while there I was really frightened. It was such a relief when you all appeared...even you, Tulcendor, though you should have stayed behind," she said with a slight pout. "They will know you're with us and it will make them angrier. But I'm still glad you came anyway," she smiled shyly. Taking a deep breath, she asked with her usual cheerful countenance, "Well, what are waiting for. Let's go!"
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2006 08:09
Aeldrid nodded, then lifted Rhyanna onto the horse she had been sharing with Tulcendor. "You ride with him, for now." He smiled at his little sister.

It was hard, but he knew Rhyanna would want to be with Tulcendor. The half-orc had quickly made a strong tie in her heart; one that Aeldrid couldn't ignore.

Besides, he trusted that Tulcendor would protect Rhyanna well. And Telerea...

She was still his responsibility. He had left her on the field of battle and she had been hurt. Until she was well, he saw himself in her service for whatever he could do for her.

Approaching the blind elleth, he touched her arm gently. "M'lady, you will be riding with me."

He lifted her easily onto Cerebil and then mounted up behind her.

Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 08:06
Telerea had to admit to herself, that this time she would need a lot of help. She listened to all that was going on and felt a grateful tear running down her cheek when she realized that Rhyanna was even ready to give up her favorite position with Tulcendor, just to make her more comfortable.

Standing there the sharp pain returned and Telerea was sure that if someone didn't help her soon her legs would simply give way under her. At that moment she heard Aeldrid taking over and after Rhyanna seemed to be back on the horse with Tulcendor, she heard someone coming closer. Then she felt a touch on her shoulder. "M'lady, you will be riding with me."

Telerea felt herself lifted onto Aeldrid's horse and could have screamed with pain. Because in order to lift her onto the horse, Aeldrid had to put his had close to the wound.

When she finally sat on the horse and felt him get on behind her, she gratefully let herself rest against him. The movement of the horse did not do her any good either. There was little else but the pain. She was unable to concentrate on anything else, and when she felt her side, the bandages were wet.
She sighed and trusted her companions to get her to safety where she could rest and give the wound a chance to heal.

She let herself drift off into a trance, concentrating on not giving any sound...she did not want to cause the others more trouble - and then, she knew no more.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 06:06
It looked as if everyone agreed that to continue on would be the best idea, for now. But Arthiel sighed with much worry... for something was disturbing her husband's peace of mind. Though she could hardly ask him now, in the company of the others and she knew he wouldn't have answered her because of that.

The Healer was drawn out of her disarray when she realized that Rhyanna had addressed her, "Do you have all your medicines packed? Did I pick them all up and give them back to you? I hope so, for we may need them again."

Arthiel looked around, "I believe we do. If we happen to forget anything, I can make some more of what we should need, or make a purchase."

After reaching the horses, Mîrion readied his horse, with all their supplies stowed away. He turned to Rhyanna when and after she thanked Aeldrid, Tulcendor and himself for coming to see her to safety. He patted her head and smiled, "You're a brave girl, Rhyanna and we were all very worried for you. But count your lucky stars that those men didn't harm you in any way."

Mîrion turned around, almost stepping into Arthiel. There was a short moment of tension as they stared into the depths of each other's eyes before he lowered his head and kissed her cheek. Arthiel knew what bothered him so in that moment, his eyes just liberating his thoughts. "Wait, Mîrion" she said to him as he mounted his horse, "I should, I should like to ride with you...my horse will follow, or someone may like to ride him..."

For a second Arthiel thought Mîrion would deny her...but finally he responded with a smile, "Of course." She mounted onto Mîrion's horse, Menel, behind him and they were off. Telerea was riding with Aeldrid, but she had drifted off into a trance.

"Tulcendor," Arthiel began to say, "have your wounds healed properly?" Remembering them suddenly after the fight with the other orcs...and the bloody wounds he had suffered as the aftermath.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 03, 2006 11:11
The group rode though the night, the rain continued to fall but had lessened perceptibly, finally turning to a cold drizzle and mist by morning. They had reached a heavily wooded area, and the rain dripped from the trees whose branches over hung the road, seeping through their cloaks and making all damp, uncomfortable and chilled. Rhyanna sat snuggled back against Tulcendor's chest, feeling his warmth though her back. She had drifted into a doze on and off through the long night but was finally awake and her eyes like everyone else's were seaching for somewhere, anywhere, that they could find shelter as it was already beginning to lighten in the eastern sky.

As she looked deep into the forest, she noticed a huge old pine tree, with great boughs reaching the ground. She stared at it for a minute then tugged Tulcendor's arm.

"Tulcendor, look. That big tree over there. Can we go see it, please?" Tulcendor eyes followed her pointing finger and he nodded, waving the others to halt and wait. Turning their horse into the woods, he crossed a small stream and headed deep into the forest until they reached the side of the tree. Rhyanna slipped out from under his arm and slid off the horse, her feet landing solidly on the wet ground. She ran to one of the boughs, lifting it with a quick shake to allow the water to fall from it's needles, and then suddenly she was gone. Tulcendor waited, not being able to see her but hearing small noises from inside the boughs of the tree. Just as suddenly as she had disappeared, she reappeared, a huge smile on her face.

Running to the side of the horse, she reached for Tulcendor's hand, who pulled her back to the saddle. "Go back to the group, Tulcendor. I have found our shelter." Tulcendor turned the horse and the quickly made it to the dirt trail, where the group was waiting silently and miserably chilled. Rhyanna called to them to follow Tulcendor into the forest. As they all followed Tulcendor to the great tree, Rhyanna regaled them with her tale.

"Aeldrid, do you remember when Papa and you and I were up in the mountains two winters past, and the snowstorm started? Papa said we'd never make it home and would have to find shelter until the storm was over. Remember he found the great pine tree? It's boughs were so huge that it formed a cave underneath and not even one flake of snow fell on us. We even found small dead pine branches under the tree and were able to set a small fire. We were snug and warm and made it through the entire snowstorm. Remember? Well, I have found another one, here, in this forest. And here it is!" She waved her arm towards the great pine. Sliding once again off the horse, she ran to the tree, lifting the bough again and slipping inside, bouncing back out in a minute, to show the others the way to make entry.

As the group, all doubtful except Aeldrid, who did indeed recall that snowstorm and the shelter their father had found for them, dismounted, Rhyanna ran to Tulcendor's side. Whispering, she asked him to help Aeldrid ease Telerea to the ground, as she had noticed how quiet the elf maiden had been for many miles, her eyes closed and pain evident on her face. Rhyanna was very concerned about her and Tulcendor was big and strong and could catch her as Aeldrid lowered her.

Then she entered the shelter of the tree, and immediately began collecting pine branches and pine cones to make ready the fire they would start at once. She stood under the huge branches and looked around her surroundings. Although it had been raining for days, the ground under the boughs was dry and the pine needles made the floor under her feet soft. She was well pleased with herself, feeling very smug. As the others began to find their way through the boughs, she greeted each one, as though welcoming them to her home. As soon as the fire was started, not only would they be dry but warm as well. And given the location of their shelter, it was unlikely anyone would even know they were there, especially if they tied the horses on the side of the tree away from the road, which itself was some distance away. They could spend however long was needed for Telerea to recover.

And as soon as Tulcendor carried Telerea into the sheltering branches, Rhyanna knew that recovery might take some time. Telerea's cloak had fallen back and Rhyanna could see the red blood staining her tunic. Rhyanna hurriedly swept some pine needles together near the massive trunk of the tree to soften the bed even more and threw a heavy blanket on top of them.

"Here, Tulcendor. Lay her here."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 03, 2006 04:10
Tulcendor was willing to ride with Telerea, though he knew he'd miss Rhyanna's company. But, after he agreed with his little friend, the orc-elf said nothing when Aeldrid countered his sister's decree, and kept the injured elleth with himself.

As the group prepared to head out, however, he was surprised when the Healer addressed him.

"Tulcendor," Arthiel began to say, "have your wounds healed properly?"

So used to 'hurting', and having no one around to 'care', Tulcendor flushed. "I will be fine, hiril," he answered, his tone of voice more 'gravelly-sounding' than usual.

The group rode though the night, the rain continued to fall but had lessened perceptibly, finally turning to a cold drizzle and mist by morning. They had reached a heavily wooded area, and the rain dripped from the trees whose branches over hung the road, seeping through their cloaks and making all damp, uncomfortable and chilled. Rhyanna sat snuggled back against Tulcendor's chest.

Keeping one arm securely around his small best friend, the rain didn't bother Tulcendor - not tonight. It seemed… 'soothing' somehow… as if the drops were 'washing away' the last dregs of anger from the earlier near-altercation with the villagers. - And that, the orc-elf disliked almost more than anything - his lack of 'control' over any emotions at all… and in particular, the 'darker' ones.

Anger, rage, and fury had been 'bred' into him… and turned Tulcendor into Gwathur - a 'shadow' of what he'd once been as an elven child… and he no longer wanted any part of it.

With a sigh, he glanced at Aeldrid and Telerea… wishing they'd not had to leave the protection of the cave. The blind elleth needed rest to heal - and having to travel wasn't helping at all. And, turning around, he addressed the elf - the healer riding with her husband. "Dawn will be coming soon," he said, "Have you seen any sign of shelter? - I have not…" and then Rhyanna stirred and came into full wakefulness.

"Did you sleep well?" he asked, and then noticed his friend looking at a large pine tree off to one side.

She stared at it for a minute then tugged Tulcendor's arm.

"Tulcendor, look. That big tree over there. Can we go see it, please?" Tulcendor eyes followed her pointing finger and he nodded, waving the others to halt and wait. "All right… but be careful!" he told her, and turned Telerea's horse towards it.

Turning their horse into the woods, he crossed a small stream and headed deep into the forest until they reached the side of the tree. Rhyanna slipped out from under his arm and slid off the horse, her feet landing solidly on the wet ground. She ran to one of the boughs, lifting it with a quick shake to allow the water to fall from it's needles, and then suddenly she was gone.

Anxiously, Tulcendor's golden-colored eyes were fixed on his last sight of Rhyanna… and his ears picked up small sounds as she rustled around doing something.

she reappeared, a huge smile on her face.

Running to the side of the horse, she reached for Tulcendor's hand, who pulled her back to the saddle. "Go back to the group, Tulcendor. I have found our shelter." Tulcendor turned the horse and the quickly made it to the dirt trail, where the group was waiting silently and miserably chilled. Rhyanna called to them to follow Tulcendor into the forest. As they all followed Tulcendor to the great tree, Rhyanna regaled them with her tale.

"Aeldrid, do you remember when Papa and you and I were up in the mountains two winters past, and the snowstorm started? Papa said we'd never make it home and would have to find shelter until the storm was over. Remember he found the great pine tree? It's boughs were so huge that it formed a cave underneath and not even one flake of snow fell on us. We even found small dead pine branches under the tree and were able to set a small fire. We were snug and warm and made it through the entire snowstorm. Remember? Well, I have found another one, here, in this forest. And here it is!" She waved her arm towards the great pine. Sliding once again off the horse, she ran to the tree, lifting the bough again and slipping inside, bouncing back out in a minute, to show the others the way to make entry.

Glancing at Aeldrid for confirmation, Tulcendor obediently dismounted. Rhyanna ran to Tulcendor's side. Whispering, she asked him to help Aeldrid ease Telerea to the ground.

"Of course!" he softly answered back, and gave his friend a small smile. "You get things ready, all right?" he added, and squeezed her shoulder gently before going to help lift the injured elleth to the ground.

He knew it was painful, and quietly apologized as he carried her inside the makeshift shelter, and carefully set her down on the blanket-covered pile of pine needles Rhyanna had prepared. "Rest, hiril!" he told her, and looked at Arthiel. "She's not doing well!" he said, concerned at the blood they could all see.

Taking 'control', "Aeldrid - will you help Rhyanna build a fire?" Tulcendor asked, and to Mîrion, "Will you help me seek something for a meal?"
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 05, 2006 05:52
Arthiel shivered. The whole night it had rained. At first it seemed to lash down upon them, but the rain eventually lessened and by morning it was a light drizzle suspended among the mist. Her hair was damp and she was cold, but felt refreshed somehow.

And Mîrion...he had calmed his upset, wistful emotions. Maybe it was just a spontaneous generation of his past memories, but it was difficult to control what he felt at points in time. The incident of Rhyanna's encounter of those village men spurred thoughts of his son, before he was slain. Arthiel, his wife, had taken the tragedy more painfully...physically and emotionally, with the tears, the heartache and the blame. For Mîrion, his suffering had always been more subtle and found only deep within his heart. Now, or a few hours ago seemed to be one of those times when his shards or pain escaped. But, he felt fine now.

"Dawn will be coming soon," Tulcendor said, addressing Mîrion. "Have you seen any sign of shelter? - I have not…" Looking around, Mîrion was about to say that he had not but Rhyanna had begun to awaken. The child pointed out a big tree and Tulcendor steered the horse into the woods while the rest of them waited for their return with some degree of worry.

Aeldrid and Telerea seemed to be quite a bit away from the Elven couple and Arthiel decided that she had to make sure Mîrion was okay...but she spoke subtlety for that was all that was need (and just as a precaution). "Mîrion, I love you," she took his hand in hers and continued, whispering softly, "after everything that we've been through and all that we've suffered, my feelings for you have never changed, never faltered. And if they did, they only grew stronger. I'll always love you."

Mîrion gazed at Arthiel tenderly, "I love you too." His eyes told her that he was fine, now, "forever and for always," he added with a smile. At that moment, Tulcendor and Rhyanna returned, calling out to them to follow. Mîrion steered his horse onto the dirt trail while Rhyanna told them her story. When she had finished, Rhyanna waved her arm towards the great pine. Sliding once again off the horse, she ran to the tree, lifting the bough again and slipping inside, bouncing back out in a minute, to show the others the way to make entry.

Arthiel slid off the horse and ran slowly to her own. She stroked its hair and whispered her caressing words to it and then grabbed her pouch with her medicinal tools since they probably would need them again. Arthiel sneezed delicately and as a result they fell with a tiny thump to the forest floor.

"She's not doing well!" Tulcendor said referring to Telerea, concerned at the blood they could all see.

"Really? Oh dear...that is not well...I'll take a look at her," Arthiel replied and rushed over to the injured elf maiden. She peeled away some of her garments and found blood oozing from her wounds. "I believe the ride here may have been too much for her. I'll clean her wounds and re-bandage them. She just needs to rest and have a bit of water and food." With that she went off to do what she had to.

"Aeldrid - will you help Rhyanna build a fire?" Tulcendor asked, and to Mîrion, "Will you help me seek something for a meal?"

Mîrion nodded, "I just need to get my bow and arrow." He quickly fetched them from one of his packs and glanced at Tulcendor and then at the surroundings, smelling the air. Mîrion pointed to a less dense area of the forest, where he heard a stream running. "What do you say we go in that direction? I think we may find some animals by a stream after all this rainfall and animals are always more active during this time of morning."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2006 07:51

Aeldrid chuckled; he did remember but it was more that Rhyanna's flow of words seemed to cheer him somewhat. He nodded.

The young man turned as Tulcendor approached and then carefully lifted Telerea down into the half-orc's arms before dismounting himself as Tulcendor carried her into the shelter.

"Aeldrid - will you help Rhyanna build a fire?" Tulcendor asked, and to Mîrion, "Will you help me seek something for a meal?"

Aeldrid nodded, before handing Rhyanna his steel and flint. "I'm going to care for the horses before it gets too late; if you are having too much trouble, come and get me." It was a caution but Rhyanna had lit fires before and Aeldrid was sure she would be able to do it on her own. Besides, it might take him a while to get Cerebil and Lady Arthiel's horse settled.

As soon as he was finished, Aeldrid ducked under the tree and smiled at his sister.

Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2006 09:49
Telerea came to because of the sharp pain in her side. She noticed she was being lifted form the horse and she recognized Tulcendor's voice, softly apologizing to her. She was brought carefully to a place, where she was laid down, the ground felt soft and she sighed a deep sigh of relief. She could not have ridden much further she knew. Lying there on the soft 'bed', the pain became easier. "Rest, hiril!" Tulcendor told her, and she could here him saying, probably to Arthiel, concern in his voice "She's not doing well!". Telerea was very grateful that they were all so caring. She knew that Rhyanna had probably made the bed and wanted to thank her, but did not know where she had gone.

She could feel Arthiel, taking off the bandages of her wound, examining it and re -bandaging it, then she was handed some tea, which she drank obediently. She felt sleepy, but still wanted to thank everyone for taking care of her. She also wondered where Aeldrid was. He had not been near her since Tulcendor had carried her in and placed her on the soft 'bed'. After a while, the pain in her side dulled and she felt better, although she was still sleepy.

Soon she could feel the warmth of a fire and a short while later, there was also the smell of food. When Rhyanna brought her a bowl, she accepted gratefully and also thanked the girl for the 'bed' she had created, assuring her that she was sure it would help her get better,soon. She sipped her food, slowly and noticed that she was very hungry. In the end she managed to finish the whole bowl.

When Rhyanna returned to take the bowl back, she said to her, "Thank you. That was delicious." and lay back on the soft pine needle bed. It did not take long before she fell asleep.

Telerea slept long and well, and there were no disturbing dreams and no pain interrupting her sleep. In the morning she woke up, feeling rested and much better. She was very hopeful that she would be well enough to travel in a few days.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 14, 2006 11:56
Rhyanna took the steel and flint from Aeldrid, pleased that he was trusting her with the fire. She gathered some small bits and pieces of kindling, sprinkled them with some very dry pine needles and put some larget branches on top. Then using the flint she got just enough of a spark to set off the kindling, which lit the upper branches. Quickly searching under the ring of the tree, she found a few old dead branches that were log size and set them next to the fire after laying one or two directly on the now warming blaze. Under the heavy boughs of the massive spruce, there was little or no wind and the area became quite cozy.

Rhyanna had saved several of the potatoes and some of the greens (which though wilting would do very well in the pot) and adding those to some of the dry meat and water, there was soon a pot of stew brewing. When it was ready she carried a bowl to Telerea, helping her hold it to her lips as she sipped the liquid first.

As the evening wore on, she listened to the grown ups talking about where they were and how far they had yet to travel. There was much discussion about whether to go east, and following the Anduin through Lorien and as far as the Old Forest Road near Mirkwood, but there were arguments about the need to take the pass through the Hithaeglir and back track to Rivendell, and also the likely presence of orcs roaming in that direction. The alternative seemed to be to follow the Greenway to Tharbad and then cut north east to Imladris that way. They would soon have to make their decision as the were but a day or two away from the city of Edoras. Rhyanna tried to follow the discussion but, as she had no idea what they were talking about, soon found herself drifting off to sleep.

When she woke in the morning, she found she had slept well....and that she was the first one up and awake. She was feeling very smug about her 'find' of the old spruce shelter and peeked out from under the boughs to see the sun shining at last. One thing she had missed on this journey was the sun, as they had to travel at night to protect Tulcendor's eyes. She did not regret this...she just missed the sun. Running to the stream, she filled a pot with water and hurried back to the sheltering boughs, where she boosted the dying embers with some pine needles and small branches, getting the fire blazing again. Setting the pot on the water, she dug into her pack for tea leaves. By the time she had the hot tea brewing, the others were waking around her. The first cup of the hot drink she carried to Telerea, whose eyes were open, though she was still lying on her pine needle bed.

"Here, Telerea. Let me help you sit up and then you drink some tea. Maybe Arthiel will give you some herbal tea later to help with your pain but right now, this will have to do." With her arm around Telerea, making sure she didn't put any pressure on her wounded side, she helped the elleth to a sitting position and handed her the cup.

Then she went back to the fireside, waiting for everyone to be awake and talking again. Even Tulcendor was still laying quietly in the deep cover of the spruce and she watched him carefully, hoping he was sleeping well for a change. Her heart hurt sometimes when she thought what he had gone through for so many years and prayed that they could get to Rivendell soon. She thought about his parents, too, wondering if they would still be there. Would they be happy to see their son, even as he was? She was still having trouble coming to grips with the immortal ages of these elves. Her father was 60 years now, and he was gray haired and ... well, oldish. But the elves were hundreds of years old and still looked no older than Aeldrid. She just couldn't comprehend that. She was drawn back from her pondering when she saw that Tulcendor was awake, his golden eyes watching her. She smiled, whispering, "Good morning."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 15, 2006 06:26
Mîrion nodded, "I just need to get my bow and arrow." He quickly fetched them from one of his packs and glanced at Tulcendor and then at the surroundings, smelling the air. Mîrion pointed to a less dense area of the forest, where he heard a stream running. "What do you say we go in that direction? I think we may find some animals by a stream after all this rainfall and animals are always more active during this time of morning."

Since he was 'new' to hunting in the way of elves, Tulcendor nodded. "I have much to learn... and relearn," he added, and following Mîrion's lead, the two headed for the river.

Before long, and following the elf-warrior's lead, they had sufficient to hold the group for a day or two, and then went back to the makeshift shelter that Rhyanna had found, and practicing what he'd learned, the orc-elf set the meat to roasting.

While they waited, there was much discussion about whether to go east, and following the Anduin through Lorien and as far as the Old Forest Road near Mirkwood, but there were arguments about the need to take the pass through the Hithaeglir and back track to Rivendell, and also the likely presence of orcs roaming in that direction. The alternative seemed to be to follow the Greenway to Tharbad and then cut north east to Imladris that way. They would soon have to make their decision as the were but a day or two away from the city of Edoras.

Nervously, Tulcendor wanted to stay as far away from any settlements they ran across as they could... his 'experiences' with others than those in this small group all-too heavy on his mind. - And, trying to remember long-ago lessons of Middle Earth, "Is Edoras not the Capital of Rohan?" he inquired, and, "What do they 'think' of elves? - And... of orcs?" and dropping his gaze as well as his tone of voice, "Will they 'accept' one such as me?" he then asked.

But soon, the meal was ready, and eaten, and all was quiet. - For long, Tulcendor remained awake, thinking. - And, mostly, he was thinking of his 'visions' of the future. - A 'future' of himself, and Rhyanna as an adult. - He had, the orc-elf remembered, assured his young friend that 'after he was healed' he would come looking for her. - But... were those 'visions' real? - On the 'surface', Tulcendor thought so... but deep down, he found himself doubting it... though he'd never tell Rhyanna that.

Of the beauty she'd have when grown up, Tulcendor did *not* doubt at all, though... and finally, as he clung to the hope that his Healing would be 'enough' to resume some semblance of a 'normal' elven life, he fell into slumber.

And, when he woke, Tulcendor knew his dreams had been of the future he wanted to happen... and his oddly-golden-colored eyes sought first for his small friend as soon as they were open... and he couldn't help but smile when he saw Rhyanna had noticed him awake.

She smiled, whispering, "Good morning."

"Good morning," Tulcendor's gravelly voice quietly rumbled, and laying his thoughts of the future aside, he slowly sat up. "Did you sleep well, Rhyanna?" he asked his best friend in the world. "Have you eaten yet?"

And, as his gaze swept their shelter, and the others still sleeping, he whispered, "How is Telerea this morning?"

Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 17, 2006 02:51
It didn't take Mîrion and Tulcendor to find a sufficient number of animals to feed the group for a couple of days. They'd caught a fair bit, mostly rabbits, nothing too big. Tulcendor had mostly followed his lead, saying that he had much to learn and relearn. Mîrion was sure that if he had hunted before, the knowledge would come back to him. They returned back to the group, where Tulcendor began to prepare the meat.

While they waited for the meat to cook they debated which route to take in order to reach Rivendell. Arthiel stayed quiet most of the time, with a warm blanket wrapped around her and Mîrion himself wanted to avoid any encounters with orcs and the like. But for him, the length of the journey was not an important factor but he knew that Tulcendor and Rhyanna were very eager to reach Rivendell. The decision needed to be agreed upon soon since they would near the city of Edoras in a couple days.

"Is Edoras not the Capital of Rohan?" Tulcendor inquired, and, "What do they 'think' of elves? - And... of orcs?" and dropping his gaze as well as his tone of voice, "Will they 'accept' one such as me?" he then asked.

Mîrion dropped his eyes to the ground, and Arthiel hesitated to say anything. The people of Rohan, during the War of the Ring, experienced a bad situation with the Uruk-hai of Isengard. Many of them would see Tulcendor as an orc. It didn't matter what breed. It was all the same to them. They would judge him, and say terrible things on the basis of what he was, not the person he was...is. It's a sad trait that living creatures possess.

However, the meal was soon ready and everyone ate in silence. The elven couple didn't eat very much, both of them deciding that neither of them were very hungry. Mîrion yawned. Night was falling and so were his eyelids. His head conveniently met Arthiel's shoulder and soon they both fell alseep.

Arthiel awoke quietly. She sat up and pressed her hands against the back of her head, feeling her hair. It was a mess. She fetched an orange ribbon, gathered her hair to the nape of her neck and fastened the ribbon. It looked like Tulcendor, Rhyanna and Telerea were already awake. Arthiel shook her husband, stirring him from his slumber. "Wake up sleepyhead." At first he was reluctant to get up, but he finally succumbed. "I'm going to see if Telerea needs anything," she told him before heading off.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 05:18
As soon as he finished with the horses, Aeldrid crept inside their shelter. He smiled at Rhyanna, congratulating her on doing a fine job with the fire.

When Mirion and Tulcendro returned, he helped prepare the food and then spoke with them about their course.

"Is Edoras not the Capital of Rohan?" Tulcendor inquired as they spoke of reaching the city in a few days. "What do they 'think' of elves? - And... of orcs?" and dropping his gaze as well as his tone of voice, "Will they 'accept' one such as me?" he then asked.

"Elves are regarded well there as far as I know." Aeldrid said, since Mirion did not answer. "Orcs...are not. It may be well for you to wear a good cloak and hood Tulcendor. The people of Edoras will not over inquire; mayhap if we tell the innkeeper and such that you are an ill man. That could account for you having to stay indoors during the day."

Aeldrid took watch for the day, once he saw the others bed down. Once night fell he stood to check on the horses' and prepare them for the ride ahead.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email