Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: "Going Home" (Permission by PM only)
on: November 11, 2005 04:32
When the last orc fell, Gwathur stood amongst them, his chest heaving from the effort of the fight. Throwing his appropriated weapons away from him violently, he felt no joy in the orc's defeat... only relief that Rhyanna was now safe from their threat.

He wanted to check on her... desperately so, but even as Mîrion and Aeldrid turned to go back, Gwathur didn't move. Though he'd numerous cuts, he knew the others, and Telerea needed tending first.

Shaking his head when either Mîrion or Aeldrid spoke to him, "Not yet," he answered in a more-'gravely' voice than usual. "See to your wife, Mîrion... and you to your sister, and your love, Aeldrid," Tulcendor added sadly, not really realizing he'd spoken a new 'vision' for Rhyanna's brother.

With that, he ran to a nearby stream. Collapsing on his knees next to it, Gwathur was shaking. He gazed into the rushing water, and in the moonlight... and despite there were tears on his cheeks for what he'd become, the orc-elf saw his eyes were still 'glowing' with an 'orcish' brightness. Leaning closer, Gwathur splashed the cold water on his face, and tried to wash the worst of the blood - both orc and his own - from his person. It was bad enough that his small best friend would see the results of the battle on Aeldrid and Mîrion... but he - was different... and he did not want Rhyanna to see him this way. Not now - not ever. He needed to calm himself, first... to once again be 'Tulcendor', and not 'Gwathur'...
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 11, 2005 08:29
"Is it very bad? Is she going to die?" Rhyanna's eyes filled with tears. She had never seen anyone die before, least of all someone she knew and liked so much. "Please, can you help her?"

"Telerea's not going to die, Rhyanna," Arthiel looked away from Telerea's wound for a moment, towards Rhyanna. "Though her wound is quite severe. Once it has been treated she'll be fine as long as she gets enough rest. Telerea's unconscious but she will wake once she has enough energy." With that statement, Arthiel silently went back to caring for the horrible gash.

With a wet cloth in her hand, she gently scrubbed the exposed flesh where Telerea's wound lay. As soon as most of the blood had been washed away, Arthiel started crushing the herbs that would lessen the pain of the gash and applied it to her skin, allowing its medicine to seep into the wound. For a brief moment Arthiel glanced up quickly. Most of the orcs had been rid of.

"I think they are almost all gone now. The orcs, I mean. How is Telerea?"

Arthiel pressed the back of her hand against Telerea's brow. Her skin was at normal temperature. That was good. Hopefully a fever wouldn't form. "I'm almost done. Telerea should be fine once she wakes. Just be careful not to overwhelm her." She smiled at Rhyanna and went back to her duty. Arthiel reached for a small tube, and squeezed out a white lotion onto her hands and spread it all over her palms. She applied it to Telerea's wound gently. This is what would heal the wound, partially for it also depended on the skills of the healer. After bandaging the wound, Arthiel was finished. She gazed at Rhyanna and addressed her.

"Could you go check to Telerea's storage packs and see if she has any clean garments?"

Mîrion wiped the sweat from his brow. It was done. The orcs had been vanquished. His tunic, his sword and body was smeared with orc blood and some of his own. He'd suffered a few small cuts to his arm, but other than that he was fine. Carefully he sheathed his sword.

Tulcendor, whenever Aeldrid or himself tried to speak to him, would say, "Not yet... See to your wife, Mîrion... and you to your sister, and your love, Aeldrid," Tulcendor added sadly.

Mîrion didn't respond, deciding it would be wise to give Tulcendor some time alone. The elf was eager to return to his wife and check on Telerea's condition.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2005 12:47
Confused dreams were her companion. She smelled the sea; she heard the waves and from far she heard a gentle voice calling her, "Come home Telerea - it's getting late" and without hesitation she called back, "Yes, mother - coming...". Reluctantly she turned around - the sound of the waves was behind her now, the wind was playing with her hair and the sand was beneath her bare feet. The sound of the gulls, crying and circling above her....

Then the scene changed. She was in Imladris. The smells and sounds told her. She could hear the Bruinnen, reminding her a little of the ocean. Then there was a sharp pain in her side. She heard someone stepping back. "Telerea - Telerea- Pay attention. An attacker would have seriously wounded you by now. You have to be aware of everything going on around you. Listen! Listen and follow my footsteps. Anticipate where I will hit next...." Tulcaráto's voice was gentle but firm. Telerea sighed. She was exhausted and her side was really hurting....

Slowly she became aware of what was going on around her. She could hear Arthiel and Rhyanna. Where was she? What about the battle? The orcs? She wanted to ask so many questions, but neither her limbs nor her mouth obeyed her. She wanted to tell them that she was all right and not to worry and to ask, if Aeldrid, Miron and Tulcendor were unhurt. She tried to hear battle sounds, but there was nothing. It was much too quiet for a battle. It must have ended.

With everything that was in her she willed herself back into consciousness. She wanted to speak, to tell them that she was back and... the only thing that escaped her lips was a moan. The second try was better. With a horse voice she asked, "The orcs... Aeldrid... Tulcendor... Miron....?" Then she sank back exhaustedly. The pain in her side was still there, but it was numb - and then it all came back to her with a start.... she had not paid attention. She had let down her guard and listened for Aeldrid instead of her surroundings - this must have been how the orc could have hit her....

She made one more attempt to speak, but gave up. She was thirsty, but she was also very tired. Finally she managed to voice her request. "I am thirsty...", she said, her voice barely audible.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 11, 2005 05:12
Rhyanna heard no further battle sounds as she opened Telerea's pack, embarrassed to go through someone else's things but knowing she needed dry, fresh clothes. She found a simple tunic...well, simple in design but edged with beautiful embroidery. It was a pale blue that would almost match Telerea's pale blue eyes, Rhyanna thought. Underneath the tunic was a silky shirt that Rhyanna fingered softly. She pulled both of them out and took them to Arthiel's side, laying them down on the ground. Picking up the bloody tunic and shirt, she looked in Telerea's bag again, searching for something to wrap them in. She found an old piece of cloth and rolled the bloodied clothes in that, and packed it into the bag, not knowing what else to do with them.

She kept peeking through the trees, trying to see where the men and orcs were. She saw Aeldrid, standing but not moving. Mîrion was nearly at their side, wiping and sheathing his sword blade. But where was Tulcendor? She stood up, trying to stretch her head high enough to find her friend but couldn't see him anywhere. No, he couldn't have fallen, could he?

Just then, Telerea moaned slightly. Rhyanna was distracted from her search and went back to Telerea's side, in time to hear her say, "I am thirsty."

"Water, she needs a drink. I'll find some," Rhyanna said, running to her bag and rummaging for her small metal cup. She got to her feet, listening for the sound of a running stream. When she had placed the sound of one in her mind, she raced through the woods towards it. She burst through the last bush and stopped short, dropping the cup. Tulcendor was kneeling next to the small brook, his face tilted back towards the moonlight, his face and hair soaked with water he had thrown over his head. When his head turned toward the sound she had made, his eyes gleamed an orange gold.

"Tulcendor?" Rhyanna's legs shook. He looked so.....fearsome! Until a small smile curled his lips upward sadly. Rhyanna ran to his side, wrapping her arms around him. "It's alright, Tulcendor. I'm here. Your friend is here at your side. Are you hurt anywhere?" Rhyanna felt a deep sadness enter her heart, sensing what her beloved friend had just gone through....for her. Her heart went out to him as he small gentle hands searched his shoulders and arms for wounds.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 12, 2005 06:43
Almost, Tulcendor thought himself 'calm' enough to rejoin the others, when he heard footsteps coming his way. For a half-moment, the orc-elf wondered if an as-yet foe still lingered, and was coming to exact revenge for the deaths of it's own... and he tensed in preparation to fight again. But, the step was much too 'light'.

"No!" he whispered to himself, and cringing inwardly, Tulcendor knew it was Rhyanna approaching.

"Tulcendor?" Rhyanna's legs shook. He looked so.....fearsome! Until a small smile curled his lips upward sadly. Rhyanna ran to his side, wrapping her arms around him. "It's alright, Tulcendor. I'm here. Your friend is here at your side. Are you hurt anywhere?" Rhyanna felt a deep sadness enter her heart, sensing what her beloved friend had just gone through....for her. Her heart went out to him as he small gentle hands searched his shoulders and arms for wounds.

Hating himself, and writhing at his little friend finding him like this, Rhyanna's hug meant so very much... as did her concern for his wounds. In regards to those, Tulcendor shrugged. As with the one on his head that she'd tended, he'd long-ago learned to ignore the stinging pain of such as he'd received. Catching her hands in his, and though it was still sad, he smiled at her again. "I'm all right," Tulcendor said, in the low, gravelly tone that was now his own, and with his eyes now calmed to their 'normal' golden shade, soothingly touched her cheek. "They'll heal," he went on, and, sorrowfully, "I'm sorry you had to see me like this, Rhyanna," and desperately hoped she'd not seen anything of the fight.

Getting to his feet, Tulcendor then inquired anxiously about the others - and, that apparently reminded Rhyanna of why she'd sought the stream.

Quickly fetching her dropped cup, Rhyanna dipped it into the water. And, taking her small hand in his, Tulcendor went back with her to the others.

Yet, he was 'nervous' again, too... and half-hesitant. Would they now think he was too 'orcish' for their company? he wondered, and after seeing Telerea being helped to drink, Tulcendor kept his eyes on the ground, knowing it might be some time before the elleth could ride again. - And, at the first opportunity that arose, quietly apologized for his actions.

"If you no longer wish to travel with me," the orc-elf then said, "I understand. Perhaps..." Tulcendor went on painfully, and avoided looking at Rhyanna, "I should leave now..."
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 12, 2005 05:32
Mîrion, turning his head back to see whether Aeldrid would rejoin the group, heard Telerea's moan and after, her request for water. As he arrived to lay eyes where his wife and Rhyanna were, he saw the little girl scurry away, holding a cup in her hands. Arthiel sat on the ground, hunched over Telerea. The injured elf maiden was wearing clean clothes; Arthiel must've already finished the task of caring for Telerea's wound.

Arthiel got to her feet in order to met him, "She'll be alright, won't she?" He asked.

"As long as she gets rest, she will be fine. We should try to get her to a real bed, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea for her to ride, yet. I wouldn't want anything to cause Telerea to further injure herself." At this, Mîrion nodded subtely, pushing his hair out of his face. Arthiel caught sight of his arm, and stained garments. She sighed, "Did you get yourself hurt? And where are the others? Not injured, are they?"

"Just a few minor cuts on my arm . Nothing serious." Arthiel didn't quite believe him, raising an eyebrow at him. "But you can examine my arm, if you insist." He removed his cloak, his dirty tunic and shirt, allowing Arthiel to look over the cuts. She quickly washed away the blood on his arm and face with a wet cloth and bandaged his cuts. After she was done with that, he answered her other questions, "I think the others need time to be alone for a few moments is all. They don't seem to be severely injured."

As Mîrion put on clean garments, Rhyanna came back with Tulcendor. Telerea was soon seen to. The elven couple watched silently. Tulcendor seemed to wish to say something, but he seemed hesitant. But he finally spoke, "If you no longer wish to travel with me," the orc-elf then said, "I understand. Perhaps..." Tulcendor went on painfully, and avoided looking at Rhyanna, "I should leave now..."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2005 07:29
Aeldrid led Cerebil away from the battle. His clothes and hair were soaked from sweat; a few minor cuts and bruises were present from the battle.

His blue eyes stayed on Telerea, his shoulders only relaxing when he saw that she was somewhat awake. His head was still slightly bowed; he should have been able to protect her. He shouldn't have left her in the midst of battle.

The young soldier looked up as Rhyanna and Tulcendor walked up. His little sister looked a little pale, but she was amazingly resilent. As sad as he was for her to have had to see that, he was proud that she was holding together so well.

"If you no longer wish to travel with me," the orc-elf then said, "I understand. Perhaps..." Tulcendor went on painfully, and avoided looking at Rhyanna, "I should leave now..."

"You will ready your bags to leave." Aeldrid's voice was a little raw, but it was rather commanding; a tone he had not used so far. "If you think that one battle; one glimpse of what you were almost forced to become would deter us, then you dishonor us all. I cannot speak for Lord Mirion or Lady Arthiel or Lady Telerea, but I gave my word to see you to Rivendell. And I will see it done."

He tugged on Cerebil's saddle bag straps; making sure that everything was tied down correctly. Perhaps he had spoken too harshly; but the sooner Tulcendor learned that he was not as repulsive as he saw himself, the better it would be. Part of his tone, he knew, had come from the guilt of Telerea's wounds.

Whatever reason, his next words had a softer tone to it. "Keep the blade you found for now, Tulcendor. The next time we reach a village, I will see if I can get a better one for you. And perhaps you and I should practice on the way. You have some talent and it would be best for us all to have all the fighters we can should we run into trouble." He turned to Arthiel. "M'lady, can she be moved yet? I think it would be best to find a campsite a little ways away from here."
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 13, 2005 06:18
When Tulcendor spoke those horrifying words, "I should leave now....", Rhyanna was about to come to his defense as she always did. But it was not to be her task this time.

"You will ready your bags to leave." Aeldrid's voice was a little raw, but it was rather commanding; a tone he had not used so far. "If you think that one battle; one glimpse of what you were almost forced to become would deter us, then you dishonor us all. I cannot speak for Lord Mirion or Lady Arthiel or Lady Telerea, but I gave my word to see you to Rivendell. And I will see it done."

Rhyanna's eyes were as wide as saucers as she stared at this man who was her brother; so straight, so tall, so noble in her eyes. She smiled with pride, then ran to gather her bag and Tulcendor's. As she readied them to make leave, she couldn't stop smiling. Stopping for a moment, she turned to watch Aeldrid tying down his saddlebags, then ran to his side. Reaching up, she hugged him around the neck, kissing his bristled cheek. "I love you, my brother. You are a good man." She left him in shock as she ran back to finish putting her bag together, still smiling.

Whatever reason, his next words had a softer tone to it. "Keep the blade you found for now, Tulcendor. The next time we reach a village, I will see if I can get a better one for you. And perhaps you and I should practice on the way. You have some talent and it would be best for us all to have all the fighters we can should we run into trouble." He turned to Arthiel. "M'lady, can she be moved yet? I think it would be best to find a campsite a little ways away from here."

"Tulcendor and I will ride ahead, Aeldrid, and find the perfect spot," Rhyanna assured him. She untied Berioreth and holding the reins, stood at Tulcendor's side. When they had all mounted, Telerea resting in front of Aeldrid, his arm holding her on the unwounded side, her head drooping, she looked back at Tulcendor. "Find a perfect place for Telerea to rest, Tulcendor. Let's hurry."

They rode along the darkening road, as the moon was falling into the west by this time. It was a few leagues down the dusty trail that they crossed a small stone bridge. Rhyanna looked up and down the stream in both directions, seeking something she hoped would be there. And then she saw it.

"Tulcendor, stop! Look! To the south, do you see it? It's a cave just like mine at home, only bigger, I think. Please let me go and see. It would be the perfect place for Telerea .. and all of us .. to rest." When he dropped her to the ground, she hurriedly ran along the bank of the stream until she reached the opening in the side of the hill. "It is perfect! Let's go tell Aeldrid."
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 14, 2005 05:51

At that, Tulcendor winced visibly... realizing he'd caused 'offense' where he'd not intended, and lowered his eyes to the ground. It wasn't 'easy', he thought... associating with Elves again... or Humans. Not with being around only his tormentors for so very long. He'd been 'lucky', he knew... ever since Rhyanna...

'Talent'? Startled, Tulcendor glanced up, but he knew Aeldrid was right - it would be better to be armed... if it be needed. So, whilst Rhyanna readied their bags, he went to fetch his appropriated weapons. - Though, he despised touching the orc-blade again. But, carefully cleaning it, and the dagger, Tulcendor tucked the latter through his borrowed belt, and carried the other back to where his litle friend was waiting with Berioreth. Without a word, he fastened it so it was within easy reach.

When they had all mounted, Telerea resting in front of Aeldrid, his arm holding her on the unwounded side, her head drooping, she looked back at Tulcendor. "Find a perfect place for Telerea to rest, Tulcendor. Let's hurry."

Numbly, Tulcendor nodded, and lifted Rhyanna up into the saddle, then swinging up behind her.

They rode along the darkening road, as the moon was falling into the west by this time. It was a few leagues down the dusty trail that they crossed a small stone bridge. Rhyanna looked up and down the stream in both directions, seeking something she hoped would be there. And then she saw it.

"Tulcendor, stop! Look! To the south, do you see it? It's a cave just like mine at home, only bigger, I think. Please let me go and see. It would be the perfect place for Telerea .. and all of us .. to rest."

Obediently, the orc-elf dismounted, and set his small friend on the ground... his oddly-golden eyes searching the darkness for any possible trouble whilst Rhyanna went to check it.

"It is perfect! Let's go tell Aeldrid."

Nodding once more - for he'd spoken little since being berated by her brother, Tulcendor took them back to share their news... letting Rhyanna speak for them both.

When everyone was settled as comfortably as possible in the cave, Tulcendor headed for the darkest corner whilst a fire was built... staying as far away from it as he could. For, after yesterday, even the dim light from the flames was painful to his eyes...

But, pulling out his bag, "Are you hungry, Rhyanna?" he asked, and breaking off a piece of bread from the loaf, Tulcendor held it out to her with a smile...

Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 14, 2005 08:26
Aeldrid had spoken up before either Arthiel, Mîrion or Rhyanna could reply. To tell Tulcendor that it wasn't his fault and that orcs still roamed the land.

Aeldrid turned to Arthiel. "M'lady, can she be moved yet? I think it would be best to find a campsite a little ways away from here."

"Yes, but I would advise you against having her ride and to be careful. You can see that she is in dire need of rest, and riding a horse will derive her of that. You'll have to carry her, Aeldrid." Arthiel replied gently.

"Tulcendor and I will ride ahead, Aeldrid, and find the perfect spot," Rhyanna assured him. "Find a perfect place for Telerea to rest, Tulcendor. Let's hurry."

Once the two had left Arthiel knelt down beside Aeldrid, who was holding Telerea. She noticed that scent of battle on him, well it lingered on everyone but Rhyanna and herself, and the few cuts and bruises that were present on him.

"Are you alright?" She inquired of him, the tone of her voice implying of more than just a physical level. It was subtle, and not phrased in a way so that he had to answer her. "Do you have any battle cuts and the like I could look over and treat? I may be a while for the two to find a suitable place and return and once we find a place, I imagine that you would want to get some rest." Arthiel waited for his answer while Mîrion readied his horse and got a few supplies ready in case their need would arise.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 07:16
Telerea heard voices around her, but she could not concentrate on what they were saying. She could not remember what had happened. There was a dull pain in her side and she could not move without the pain turning sharper.

Then everything came back. The orcs, the blade - Aeldrid, Rhyanna, Tulcendor, Arthiel, Miron - their purpose. Then what she heard made sense again.
"You will ready your bags to leave." Aeldrid's voice was a little raw, but it was rather commanding; "If you think that one battle; one glimpse of what you were almost forced to become would deter us, then you dishonor us all. I cannot speak for Lord Mirion or Lady Arthiel or Lady Telerea, but I gave my word to see you to Rivendell. And I will see it done."

She was proud of Aeldrid then and wanted to confirm that she, too would not turn around before their quest was indeed done. But her voice would not come fast enough. Then she heard Aeldrid speak again, obviously "M'lady, can she be moved yet? I think it would be best to find a campsite a little ways away from here."

"Yes, but I would advise you against having her ride and to be careful. You can see that she is in dire need of rest, and riding a horse will derive her of that. You'll have to carry her, Aeldrid." Arthiel replied gently.

"Tulcendor and I will ride ahead, Aeldrid, and find the perfect spot," Rhyanna assured him. "Find a perfect place for Telerea to rest, Tulcendor. Let's hurry."

She heard the sound of hooves and knew that Rhyanna and Tulcendor had left. She struggled again to speak and finally, with some effort her voice came to her, "Aeldrid," she said "It is more important that we all find rest... If you could help me onto the horse, I'm sure I'll be fine... It is impossible for you to carry me...."

She winced with pain when Arthiel probed something close to the wound - as if she wanted to show her that she was not ready to ride....

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 11:07
Aeldrid arrived with Telerea drooped over his arm, followed by Mirion and Arthiel, and Aeldrid carried Telerea gently into the cave, setting her down on a blanket Rhyanna had laid out for her. Tulcendor had already hidden himself in the darkest corner of the cave while someone began a small fire burning. Rhyanna was busy running around, checking on her brother's possible wounds and helping Arthiel with her bag of herbs and salves when she heard a voice from the shadows.

"Are you hungry, Rhyanna?" Tulcendor asked, and breaking off a piece of bread from the loaf, held it out to her with a smile... She realized that she was very hungry and ran back to the darkness, taking the profferred bread. Munching happily on the crusty bread, she curled up next to Tulcendor.

"Tulcendor, why did you tell me not to watch you when you fought the Orcs. And that reminds me, these were the first Orcs I've ever seen. They are mightily ugly creatures, are they not? You make too handsome a being to ever be an Orc," she laughed. "And what did you yell at them? I've never heard that language before. Of course, I had never heard the language of the Elves either but it is a much prettier sound, don't you think?" Rhyanna chattered on happily, safe in the knowledge that everyone had come through this battle safely, though she worried about Telerea.

"Excuse me a minute, Tulcendor. I want to go see how Telerea is doing. You stay right here where it's nice and dark and close your eyes and rest them. I'll be right back." She got up and picked her way toward the small campfire, bending over Telerea, who seemed to be resting comfortably, or as comfortably as one could with such a frightful gash in one's side. What had happened on the road was finally sinking into Rhyanna's head and for the first time, she shivered slightly. Her life, which had been so sheltered by her family and by the very location of their hidden farm in the upland valley was sheltered no longer. She was seeing for the first time the kind of life her brother lived as a Gondorian soldier and she didn't much like it. Part of her wished she had never seen such fearful ugliness, but another part of her told her that she might not have met her dear friend Tulcendor...and that she would never have wanted not to do. With that very thought in mind, she found her way back to his side, grabbing his big, calloused one in her small one, squeezing it tightly.

"When we get to Rivendell, what will I see? What do you remember about it? You should think about it and tell me all you can see in your mind. It will be good brain exercise for you, Tulcendor," she said merrily. "So tell me, what is the first thing that you can think of about your life as a boy....though I don't imagine boy elves were called 'boys', were they? What do you call boy children? And how about me? If I were a girl elf, what would I be called?" As usual, Rhyanna asked more questions than one person could possibly answer but she knew Tulcendor would try. She smiled blissfully and curled up against his side, her head resting on his shoulder.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 03:38
"Are you alright?" Arthiel asked Aeldrid. "Do you have any battle cuts and the like I could look over and treat? I may be a while for the two to find a suitable place and return and once we find a place, I imagine that you would want to get some rest."

He shook his head. "No, I am fine. Thank you Lady Arthiel."

"Aeldrid..."

He was instantly at Telerea's side, unconciously taking her hand as she spoke.

"It is more important that we all find rest... If you could help me onto the horse, I'm sure I'll be fine... It is impossible for you to carry me...."

"Tis not impossible." Aeldrid said quietly, but firmly. "I will carry you as far as is needed." His grip on her hand tightened a little, as Rhyanna and Tulcendor came back.

Aeldrid picked up the blind maiden and followed on foot to the cave. Once they arrived, he carefully set her down on a blanket that Rhyanna had spread. He sat a little ways away, so that Arthiel had enough room to do what she needed. The young man took off his gloves and wiped the sweat, dirt and blood from his forehead.

Rhyanna was with Tulcendor, so he would not worry about them for now. His blue eyes settled on Telerea, watching her with a blank face...although said eyes were filled still with concern.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 05:40
"Are you hungry, Rhyanna?" Tulcendor asked, and breaking off a piece of bread from the loaf, held it out to her with a smile... She realized that she was very hungry and ran back to the darkness, taking the profferred bread. Munching happily on the crusty bread, she curled up next to Tulcendor.

"Tulcendor, why did you tell me not to watch you when you fought the Orcs. And that reminds me, these were the first Orcs I've ever seen. They are mightily ugly creatures, are they not? You make too handsome a being to ever be an Orc," she laughed. "And what did you yell at them? I've never heard that language before. Of course, I had never heard the language of the Elves either but it is a much prettier sound, don't you think?" Rhyanna chattered on happily, safe in the knowledge that everyone had come through this battle safely, though she worried about Telerea.

"Excuse me a minute, Tulcendor. I want to go see how Telerea is doing. You stay right here where it's nice and dark and close your eyes and rest them. I'll be right back." She got up and picked her way toward the small campfire, bending over Telerea,

To Tulcendor's relief, Rhyanna was off and checking on the injured elleth before waiting for the answers to her questions. - Besides, he was rendered speechless by her comment: "You make too handsome a being to ever be an Orc," she laughed

'Too handsome'? Stunned, Tulcendor shook his head to himself. Perhaps he was not - quite - as 'ugly' as his captors... but all too well he knew what... 'care' they'd taken to scar him... to bring as much ugliness to the young ellon he'd been as they possibly could.

As for his 'challenge'? Well... there was no harm in recounting that to her... nor, he supposed, in 'naming' their horrid language he'd been forced to learn... though she was right - Tulcendor's first language was beautiful... and he'd 'lost' so much knowledge of it, it was depressing to think of...

she found her way back to his side, grabbing his big, calloused one in her small one, squeezing it tightly.

"When we get to Rivendell, what will I see? What do you remember about it? You should think about it and tell me all you can see in your mind. It will be good brain exercise for you, Tulcendor," she said merrily. "So tell me, what is the first thing that you can think of about your life as a boy....though I don't imagine boy elves were called 'boys', were they? What do you call boy children? And how about me? If I were a girl elf, what would I be called?" As usual, Rhyanna asked more questions than one person could possibly answer but she knew Tulcendor would try. She smiled blissfully and curled up against his side, her head resting on his shoulder.

Grateful Rhyanna was thinking of 'happier' things, Tulcendor smiled, and wrapped her cloak closer around his small friend... knowing this dark corner was too far from the fire to give her much warmth - if any at all.

"Well," he said thoughtfully, keeping his gravely voice soft so as not to disturb the others, "Rivendell is a beautiful valley - that much I remember... and we'll have to cross a river to get there. I remember the Great Library... a little... there are more books than even an immortal elf could read!" and actually grinned in the vague memory of the stacks and stacks of volumes within. It was... I think," and his scarred brow furrowed, "one of my favorite places."

Musing on Rhyanna's questions about the elvish, Tulcendor fought to 'dredge' the long-forgotten information from where he'd buried it. He could have, he supposed, asked either Mîrion... or hiril Arthiel, but his young friend was 'right' - the orc-elf 'needed' the mental exercise of trying to remember for himself.

After a long silence, "A child," he explained, "is a... a... is called, 'hên'. A girl... is... um... 's-sell' - I think. It means 'daughter', too. And... 'ion' is 'son'."

Rather 'pleased' at what his best friend had helped him think of, Tulcendor smiled. "Thank you, Rhyanna!" he whispered, and squeezed her hand. "When we get there... to Imladris, I mean... if I can find it - and it's still 'there'," and the orc-elf despised how 'long' he'd been gone, "I'll show you where I used to play... if you want."

Shifting his position a bit, Tulcendor caught his breath in a very soft 'hiss'. He'd refused treatment for his small wounds... too 'used' to pain to take the Healer's attention away from Telerea. Still, he knew several were still bleeding... and kept his own cloak close around him so Rhyanna wouldn't see them.

Tulcendor then searched his mind for something to ask her, and thinking of something, "Rhyanna... do you have a favorite flower?" he asked. "What color is it? - When does it bloom? Do you like to wear flowers in your braids?" he then asked, for the first time, trying to pile questions upon his small friend to answer...
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 21, 2005 02:18
Once they had reached the cave, Mîrion dragged his hand through his hair. Hopefully the chaotic events thus far would halt, at least for the duration of the evening. Rhyanna was in the darkest corner, curled up beside Tulcendor. A blanket had been spread out for the injured Telerea with Aeldrid not far from her presence.

Arthiel began to check-up on Telerea once again. With her knuckles lightly pressed against the elf maiden's brow she pulled aloft her shirt and tunic enough to view the gash. The medicine was beginning to do it's work and her wound, though very subtly, was changing colour to a light purple. However, another thing worried her. Telerea's forehead grew warm, and it felt like a fever was beginning to develop. Exasperated, she shut her eyelids for a few moments, allowing them to rest before turning her attention to her husband.

"Mîrion," she began. Once he turned his head to look in her direction, Arthiel went on. "I need you to find some sort of bucket, metal preferably, and go fill it with water." Quickly, after locating an average size bucket he was off to find a stream of water. After all the years of observing his wife heal others, he'd learned quite a number of things about the tactics of healing.

Arthiel sent Aeldrid a quick glance. He'd told her that he wouldn't need her care, but she was reluctant not to press her offer any further. Soon Mîrion returned, completing the task which had been bestowed on him, but Arthiel had yet another task for him. He had to boil the water.

The Healer rummaged through her supply of herbs, looking for a pale green one. It had white, tiny flowers. As soon as she located it, Mîrion came over to her with the bucket of steaming water. Arthiel began crushing the flower and tearing up its leaves before sprinkling its pieces into the water and while she did that, she pondered. With the turmoil that had taken place she had lost her awareness of Tulcendor. He had fought, was he not hurt?

"Aeldrid, you were in the battle with Tulcendor. Does he sustain any injuries? I do not wish to disturb him, since he seems so..." Arthiel trailed for a few seconds, searching for the appropriate word, "content, if you will." As she had earlier before, Arthiel pressed her hand to Telerea's forehead. It seemed that the fever would be mild, for awhile. Telerea would not need to be awakened. "And when Telerea wakes up, would you make sure that she drinks that water over there? That is, if I must see to Tulcendor. But, thank you for all your help with her." Arthiel finished her rambling with a smile.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 22, 2005 09:17
Rhyanna chuckled at the language of the elves as Tulcendor dredged the words from his long lost memory. "I'd be called a 'sell'? That's a funny word. You will have to teach me your language when you remember it all."

Before she could think of anything else to say, Tulcendor took a deep breath that was more like a hiss, shifting his position slightly and worrying his little friend. She was about to ask him if he was hurting somewhere when he began to ask questions of her.

"Rhyanna... do you have a favorite flower?" he asked. "What color is it? - When does it bloom? Do you like to wear flowers in your braids?"

She immediately forgot her own questions and began to chatter about the flowers her mother grew in the garden at home. There were so many different kinds and some she knew the names of and some she didn't. Finally though she sat quietly for a moment, staring wistfully into the distance.

"My favorite, though, is a wildflower. It has a name...I think it's called gallardia...it's got an orange center with yellow tips on the petals. It grows everywhere all summer long, even when there is very little rain, and it makes such pretty crowns when I tie them all together." She smiled up at him and said, "I even make crowns for the goat, though he tosses them off and then eats them." She started to laugh at the thought when she felt a wet, sticky feeling trickling down on the hand that was holding Tulcendor's. She lifted both their hands and eyed them closely, trying to see in the dim light of the fire what it was. As she peered at Tulcendor's hand .. and then as much wrist as could be seen .. she saw the dark, almost black in the light available, drizzle of ....BLOOD!

"Tulcendor, you're bleeding. Why didn't you tell anyone? Why didn't you let Arthiel look over your wounds. You silly man. You sit right here...and take off your cloak." She let go of his hand, stood and ran to Arthiel's side.

"Arthiel, please, could you come and help Tulcendor? He's bleeding badly and didn't tell anyone. Please, come."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: November 22, 2005 10:59
"My favorite, though, is a wildflower. It has a name...I think it's called gallardia...it's got an orange center with yellow tips on the petals. It grows everywhere all summer long, even when there is very little rain, and it makes such pretty crowns when I tie them all together." She smiled up at him and said, "I even make crowns for the goat, though he tosses them off and then eats them." She started to laugh at the thought

Grinning, "I think you'd look beautiful with a crown of flowers, Rhyanna," Tulcendor answered, and wished he could see such as that... a 'flower-princess' he'd think she would be...

She lifted both their hands and eyed them closely, trying to see in the dim light of the fire what it was. As she peered at Tulcendor's hand .. and then as much wrist as could be seen .. she saw the dark, almost black in the light available, drizzle of ....BLOOD!

"Tulcendor, you're bleeding. Why didn't you tell anyone? Why didn't you let Arthiel look over your wounds. You silly man. You sit right here...and take off your cloak."

"Rhyanna! - I'm fine!" Tulcenor protested, but of couse, his little friend paid no mind and scurried off to fetch the Healer.

Writhing inwardly that she'd discovered he was wounded, at first the orc-elf clutched his wrap to him more tightly. But, as Rhyanna continued to scold him, and pull at his cloak, Tulcendor sighed, and set it aside to let hiril Arthiel deal with what she could.

Those on his shoulder and back were 'minor'... but there were several quite nasty ones on his arms - and it was they which had 'betrayed' his condition. Received, he knew, from the first 'rush' he'd made at the orcs... when he was still unarmed, and in the process of killing the first and grabbing the orcish weapon from the creature's fingers.

But, silently, and keeping his golden eyes on Rhyanna's brown ones, Tulcendor bore the Healer's ministrations, and numbly accepted what medicine she had to offer. When she'd finished, "Thank you," he quietly rumbled, and giving his small friend a shy smile, then inquired of Arthiel as to how Telerea was doing... and asked if Aeldrid had been hurt, too...

As Rhyanna settled back down beside him, Tulcendor once more 'saw' her as she'd become... and though long away, knew again that he would wait for that day to come. "It was a good day I hid in your father's barn, Rhyanna!" the orc-elf said softly, probably not for the first time... and certainly it would not be the last.

"Now," he went on, and nudging his best friend slightly, returned to their previous subject, "maybe... if we can find some along the way," Tulcendor suggested, "You could make one of those flower-crowns for yourself, so I can see it? In the moonlight, I think you'd look quite pretty if you did. - Would you do that for me, Rhyanna?" and his oddly-colored eyes were quite hopeful-looking that she would...
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2005 08:14
When Aeldrid had put her down on a blanket and she sensed that he had moved away, Telerea sighed with relief. Her side had begun to hurt again. The pain was not as sharp as in the beginning, but it was still quite severe.

She tried to move, although the attempt hurt. Carefully she shifted a bit until she lay more comfortably. Then she just let herself slip away... away into the land of dreams, where there was no pain.

In the beginning she dreamed of pleasant things, but after a while the dreams grew darker. They did not make sense to her, but she grew frightened. She felt hot and the pain was now with her even in her dreams.

She could suddenly see - at least what she imagined seeing to be like. She could see the orc coming towards her, but this time she could not move at all. The smell, the sound was just like it had been when they had been attacked. She fought, fought against the invisible bonds that seemed to hold her ...

... and then her arms were free and she used them, trying to hit the orc - but just as she thought she would be able to free herself entirely she felt her movements restricted and tried to cry for help. The pain in her side grew worse. Where were the others? Was no one going to help her?
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 24, 2005 02:29
Rhyanna came over, running. "Arthiel, please, could you come and help Tulcendor? He's bleeding badly and didn't tell anyone. Please, come." Well, that answered her question. But bleeding badly? The orc-elf seemed to have absorbed, and bear the pain without any complaint or given an indication of his condition. Hurriedly, Arthiel grabbed a cloth and her pouch and followed Rhyanna to the darkest corner of the cave where the two had been settled.

It was clear that Tulcendor was very reluctant to allow Arthiel to examine him, but after Rhyanna's scolding, he agreed. Inwardly, Arthiel grimaced when her eyes came to view his skin of his shoulders and back. Arthiel knew it was wrong of her to occupy thoughts like that, but it was not to be helped.
He had some minor cuts on his back and shoulders, but his arms showed signs of worse damage.

Arthiel set to work, clean the cuts...washing away the blood and treating him with a few herbs that help to heal the damage he'd suffered in the battle. For most of the treatment he was silent. When Arthiel was finished Tulcendor spoke, "Thank you," he quietly rumbled, and giving his small friend a shy smile, then inquired of Arthiel as to how Telerea was doing... and asked if Aeldrid had been hurt, too...

"Aeldrid is fine, as he says, nothing for me to treat....but, as for Telerea...she's developing a fever. For now it's a mild one, but I prepared her something to drink to bring down her body's slight fervor once she's awakened." The Healer walked away, seeing that Tulcendor nor Rhyanna were as cozy as they had been before. She noticed quickly that Telerea was in distress, and ran over to her, shaking her gently.

"Telerea? Wake up..." Arthiel began quietly.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 07:28
Aeldrid stared worriedly at Telerea as Arthiel bent over the elven woman. The young man was beginning to think that he should have taken up on Arthiel's offer to patch him up. But Tulcendor and Telerea were worse off and he wanted them to be able to get the attention he needed.

His blue eyes sought out the healer's. "Is she alright?" he asked softly.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 07:23
Arthiel attended to Tulcendor's wounds, which were far worse than he had indicated to anyone, with much help (or perhaps more hindrance) from Rhyanna. When Tulcendor was finally cleaned, salved and bandaged, she snuggled back next to him in the dark corner of the cave. He spoke quietly to her about what a good day it had been when he hid in her Papa's barn, to which she happily agreed.

"Now," he went on, and nudging his best friend slightly, returned to their previous subject, "maybe... if we can find some along the way," Tulcendor suggested, "You could make one of those flower-crowns for yourself, so I can see it? In the moonlight, I think you'd look quite pretty if you did. - Would you do that for me, Rhyanna?" and his oddly-colored eyes were quite hopeful-looking that she would...

She grinned, saying, "But Tulcendor, I will never be able to even find them in the dark. Their color fades to nothing at night. But I will find some during the day, when you are resting, and then I will make a crown for me....and for you, too.

Just then, Telerea began to moan and flail her arms about, as though fighting off enemies in her troubled sleep. Rhyanna looked up at Tulcendor and nodded. "I'll go to her if you will just stay here and rest." She got up and went to Arthiel's side as the healer shook Telerea, calling her to awaken. Rhyanna held Telerea's hand, her eyes wide as saucers as she watched the elf woman writhe. Her eyes glanced at her brother, who was sitting quietly watching with painfilled eyes, though whether for Telerea or his own, Rhyanna wondered. She realized that he had not asked for any help from Arthiel when the battle was over, yet he fought as hard as the rest.

"Arthiel," she whispered to the healer, "when you are finished with Telerea, please make my brother show you his wounds. I think he is hiding many from us. If he refuses to allow you to see to them, I will make him let you," she affirmed, nodding furiously.

Just then, she heard her brother ask, "Is she alright?" Rhyanna looked up and stared at him. "Yes, Aeldrid, she will be alright but you need to have your own wounds attended to. Take your armor off so Arthiel can look at you when she's finished with Telerea," she said fiercely.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 02:12
Mîrion watched intently, his brown eyes focused on his wife bent over Telerea. She had began to moan, and flail arms. Obviously, that couldn't be good. Nightmares, perhaps? Or was it something worse? He walked closer, but came still when he thought he had ambled near enough not to cause any distractions.

Arthiel reached to her side and slipped her hands around a cup, pouring the medicinal water from the bucket into it. Arthiel knew what was wrong at this moment. Because of the wound inflicted on the elf maiden, she was reliving, dreaming of that moment when she had fallen. The healer silently chided herself, she should've known that something like this would result. But Vala, she was so exhausted, for all the days healing had drained away her energy.

"Arthiel," Rhyanna whispered to the healer, "when you are finished with Telerea, please make my brother show you his wounds. I think he is hiding many from us. If he refuses to allow you to see to them, I will make him let you," she affirmed, nodding furiously.

"Thank you, Rhyanna. I don't want him to feel as if he's deriving my healing from the others, especially Telerea," She smiled at both of them. Given that she was tired, but it was her duty and she owed Aeldrid at least her healing abilities after he had saved her. She also wanted to help him as well, being the compassionate, care-taking soul that she was.

"Is she alright?" Aeldrid asked softly, his blue eyes searching hers. Arthiel was going to answer, but Rhyanna spoke up before she could.

"Yes, Aeldrid, she will be alright but you need to have your own wounds attended to. Take your armor off so Arthiel can look at you when she's finished with Telerea," she said fiercely.

Despite the situation, Arthiel smiled to herself. She didn't think Aeldrid would disobey his little sister, especially with the fierce tone that she held in her voice. Arthiel turned her head slightly. Telerea was beginning to stir from her slumber. The Healer had begun to reach for her pouch of herbs, but she found that Mîrion was already holding it out for her. Gratefully, she took the pouch, but allowed her hand to linger on his for a couple seconds before withdrawing it. Though, their gazes were locked for a moment before Arthiel broke her blue eyes away.

"Drink this, Telerea," she ordered, handing the elf maiden the cup of medicinal water when she had waken. "It will help to calm your fever, and prevent a temperature rise in your body. You'll also need to eat this," she added, pulling out a long, and pale yellow plant leaf from her pouch. "The bad dreams, the pain will usually flee once you've ingested it, but I'm afraid that the plant lacks fine taste." Arthiel finished with a smile.

[Edited on 29/11/2005 by Lady~Eowyn]
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 08:55
Aeldrid looked at his sister fondly as Arthiel medicated Telerea. "Very well." He smiled, although his voice was a little hoarse. "But would you get me a drink, Rhyanna?"

The young man took off his gaunlets and undid his belt, carefully laying them aside before shedding his cloth tunic; underneath was a shirt of chain mail over a leather jerkin. It was heavy, but offered the best protection short of using the full metal suit that some in the Gondorian army used.

"I am sorry to trouble you further, Lady Arthiel." he said quietly as she came over. "I imagine you must be tired."
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 02:53
"I am sorry to trouble you further, Lady Arthiel." Aeldrid said quietly as she came over. "I imagine you must be tired."

"As we all are," she stated kindly, "please, don't apologize. I meant what I said, my husband too, when you saved me. We are in your debt. Using my healing abilities is the very least I can do."

The Healer studied Aeldrid for a mere few seconds, noticing that he wore a layer of heavy chain mail and a leather jerkin. She remembered on several occasions when Mîrion showed her his battle weapons, his armour, though he rarely ever wore his armour unless it be a serious battle, much less war. Wearing that heavy protection must be tiring, Arthiel thought. She felt her eyelids drooping. She really needed to sleep.

Examining Aeldrid, Arthiel murmured quietly, almost whispering, "They don't appear to be too bad," referring to his cuts and bruises, though she wasn't sure he had heard her. Aeldrid had been protected heavily by his armour, resulting in his minor cuts, or perhaps it was due to his skill. She didn't know, having not seen the battle with her own eyes. She would have to ask Mîrion later. In any case, Arthiel completed what needed to be done rather quickly. All Aeldrid had needed were some ointments and the utilization of her healing powers.

"That should be all. Telerea seems to be fine, and I'm going to get some rest now. Don't hesitate to waken me if anything else happens." Arthiel told him.

Mîrion looked up, pushing the few, dark strands of hair out his face. He sat near the fire, his back pressed against one of the rocks protruding from the wall of the cave. Watching his wife walk over to him, her amble indicating her exhaustion, he extended his arm towards her. "Come here, darling." He said softly, "let me hold you." Arthiel settled into his arms comfortably, his legs on either side of her, and almost instantly she fell into her dreams. And Mîrion was content to hold her, and just watch her sleep for the time being.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 08:26
The first thing Telerea heard was "Drink this, Telerea," Arthiel ordered, handing her a cup of medicinal water. Although she was rather disoriented she obediently drank form the cup. "It will help to calm your fever, and prevent a temperature rise in your body. You'll also need to eat this," she added, pulling out a long, and pale yellow plant leaf from her pouch. "The bad dreams, the pain will usually flee once you've ingested it, but I'm afraid that the plant lacks fine taste." Arthiel finished.

Telerea tried to do everything the healer said. After all she wanted to get better. "How are the others?" she asked, being worried that they might not be all right. While she waited for the answer, she bravely bit into the leaf that Arthiel had handed to her, chewed and swallowed.

Her stomach did not feel good and the bit of the leaf had tasted awful, but she forced herself to take another bite - that bite though had been too much.

She was barely quick enough to turn to her side before her body got rid of the leaf she had just eaten and the drink she had just drunk. The pain in her side was sharp when she turned back and lay there, trying to get some air.

(OOC: Sorry Lady~Eowyn, I know I'm not making it easy for you... and sorry for the short post.)
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 30, 2005 05:13
Rhyanna saw that Aeldrid had listened to her and was pulling off his tunic and chain mail, exposing the wounds he had received while battling the orcs. She was relieved to see that his cuts and scratches were far less than Telerea's and Tulcendor's, most probably due to his armor. She sighed in deep relief and crawled back to Telerea's side. Her head was still very hot and Rhyanna quietly grabbed a small piece of cloth and a bowl and dashed out to the stream, filling the bowl and bringing it back to Telerea's side, dipping the cloth in the cold water and placing it on the elf's forehead.

Arthiel returned to Telerea's side and gave her a cup of liquid to drink and a long slender yellow leaf for the elf to chew on. Then she tended to Aeldrid's minor wounds, saying, "They don't appear to be too bad." Completing her care of everyone, she began to pack her healing items back in her bag. Rhyanna helped as much as she could but went back to putting the cold cloth on Telerea's head. Arthiel got to her feet, "That should be all. Telerea seems to be fine, and I'm going to get some rest now. Don't hesitate to waken me if anything else happens." Rhyanna nodded though she didn't think Arthiel even noticed, she looked so tired. She watched as Arthiel walked toward her husband, who held out his arm to her, pulling her down between his legs with her back against his chest. His arms wrapped around her and Arthiel feel to sleep almost instantly.

Telerea, who had taken the liquid and chewed on the leaf as instructed, though her face grimaced at the taste of the leaf, suddenly lurched away from Rhyanna, expelling all that she had just taken in. She cried out as she reached for her side, which must have been hurting her dreadfully, Rhyanna thought. She helped Telerea lay back down and quickly dipped the cloth in the water bowl again, wiping the elf's face gently. She hoped the cry did not wake Arthiel, who so needed her own rest. She glanced in her direction and caught the eye of Mirîon, who gazed back at her, holding his wife close to him. Looking down at Arthiel, she saw that she was still resting and so Rhyanna nodded at her husband and winked her eye.

The day passed quietly from there and all of the group was sleeping except Rhyanna, who could not get out of her head Tulcendor's request. Noting that all eyes were closed, she crept out of the cave and began her search. She left the river bank and climbed to a wide meadow and began to wander, her eyes searching and finding that which she needed. At last, as the sun was setting below the trees at the far west end of the meadow, she was finished. Returning to the cave, she found everyone just beginning to stir. She crawled back to Tulcendor's side, reaching up and wrapping something around his black hair. When his eyes opened at her touch, she sat back and grinned from ear to ear. Both of them were now wearing crowns of Gallardia.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 06:41
For a while, as he rested, Tulcendor listened to the quiet voices of his companions... but mostly, and he smiled to himself over it, it was Rhyanna's voice he concentrated on as she chided her brother, and helped hiril Arthiel with tending to Telerea.

But, soon, he was asleep, and in a sounder slumber than was usual for him, as he finished recovering from the orc-fight... and as the day waned, not even the faint stirrings of the others roused him.

At least, not until Tulcendor became aware that Rhyanna was next to him, and had set a soft, aromatic 'something' upon his head. His eyes opened, and she sat back and grinned from ear to ear. Both of them were now wearing crowns of Gallardia.

One of the orc-elf's hands lightly touched the wreath of flowers on his brow in surprise, but then, a wide grin appeared on Tulcendor's face. "You do look like a flower-princess, Rhyanna!" he quietly rumbled, since he could see her quite clearly in the cave's darkness. "A beautiful one!" he added.

"Thank you!" he then said, and putting his arm around his best friend, Tulcendor gave Rhyanna a small hug. "How long will they last?" he then inquired of their flower-crowns, for he was quite determined that - even if he looked 'silly' (which Tulcendor cared not a whit about) - he was not going to take off Rhyanna's gift until the blossoms closed, or the flower-chain should chance to fall apart. - And, if he could, Tulcendor knew he'd have worn his crown of Gallardias until the end of time.

As the others in their group began to rise, Tulcendor 'saw' Rhyanna-the-adult again, and leaning closer to his little friend, "When you are grown... and I am healed..." he said quietly, " - And I come back to Gondor to find you... would you make flower-crowns for us then, too?" the orc-elf asked, thinking that such would be quite nice to have on their long-into-the-future Wedding Day.

After she'd answered, Tulcendor got up from his darkened corner of the cave, and holding Rhyanna's hand in his own, went to check on the rest of their party - in particular, the injured elleth... and hoped they were all well.

"Perhaps..." and he glanced at Aeldrid and Mîrion for their opinions, "should we hunt for something to eat - instead of using our supplies?"

[Edited on 1/12/2005 by gwendeth]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 05, 2005 02:07
Mîrion awoke. Everything was bleary, and for a fraction of a second he lost memory of what had passed the night before. He then remembered Rhyanna taking care of the injured elf maiden, and winking in his direction.

Very lightly, he shook the sleeping Arthiel and whispered in her ear. At first she shrugged him off, mumbling her protest, but she was unable to fall back to her previous state of peace. She shifted away from him slightly and twisted her waist in order to face him. "Did anything happen while I slept?" She inquired.

"Well..." Mîrion hesitated, not sure if it was necessary to tell her, but thought better of it. "er...after, Telerea she threw up all that you gave her." He knew Arthiel was going to chide him for not waking her, so he quickly added, "Rhyanna took care of it..."

Tulcendor got up from his darkened corner of the cave, and holding Rhyanna's hand in his own, went to check on the rest of their party - in particular, the injured elleth... and hoped they were all well.

Mîrion told the two that they were fine, and noticed the crowns of flowers that Tulcendor and Rhyanna wore. Arthiel smiled. It was sweet, but rather silly-looking..., though not that appeared to care about that, she thought to herself. Arthiel then went to check up on Telerea, and settled down beside her. Mîrion got to his feet and heard a voice, "Perhaps..." and Tulcendor glanced at Aeldrid and Mîrion for their opinions, "should we hunt for something to eat - instead of using our supplies?"

"Ah, yes that is a fine idea, Tulcendor," Mîrion flashed a grin, "It's been awhile since I've eaten much meat," and his stomach growled quietly. He was hungry now, especially at the thought of a filling meal. "Er... perhaps you should be informed that my wife does not eat, well, animals in general. Don't worry about it, though. I reckon we should hunt only what we will need?" He voiced his question.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2005 09:06
Aeldrid had dozed off, but then jerked awake as he heard retching. It was Telerea. The young man sat up, just as Rhyanna handled it. Aeldrid stared at her with pride - she was growing so fast - and some sadness.

The soldier walked over to the elven woman and gently brushed her hair from her face. He began to doze off again, blue eyes blanking out. He was distantly aware that Mirion and Tulcendor were speaking of hunting but he was scarcely aware at the moment. He blinked and rubbed his eyes.

"Not using our supplies would probably be best; I also think it would be best to stay here for another day or so." He looked at Mirion, almost asking if it was alright with the lord before catching himself. He was still uncomfortable with the idea of treating Mirion as an equal, but he had a feeling that his rescue of Lady Arthiel would come up again and that would just make Aeldrid feel embarrassed.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 04:50
(OOC: Please read the OOC GH)

Rhyanna listened as Tulcendor and Mîrion talked about finding something to eat so they could save their supplies. When Mîrion mentioned that Arthiel did not eat meat from animals, Rhyanna's ears pricked up. She said nothing but as Tulcendor pulled out his dagger, recovered from the battle with the orcs, preparing to go hunt for something they could eat for their next meal, Rhyanna went to her pack and pulled out a small knife of her own. She marched out of the cave after Tulcendor, who turned as if to ask where she was going. She grinned at him, saying, "Come on, Tulcendor. You go get rabbits or something, I'm going to search for something else. But hurry, the sky is full of dark clouds, so your eyes won't hurt too much but if they clear away, you'll be in trouble"

Tulcendor followed the stream but Rhyanna climbed the bank and went back to the meadow where she had found the gallardia for their crowns, which both were still wearing proudly. She pushed her way through the high grass until she came to a small patch of earth, where large leafed plants were growing profusely. Getting down on her hands and knees, she used her knife to dig around the base of them, pulling something from the ground and tucking it into her pocket. She went on this way for some time until her pockets were filled and then she turned and ran back to the stream, searching for Tulcendor in the darkening day. When she couldn't find him, she crawled back down the bank and found her way back to the cave.

Upon entering, she saw that everyone was awake and talking among themselves. She had also noticed that the clouds had become even darker and the rain was about to fall. She hoped Tulcendor had not gone too far or he'd get very wet. She quickly ran to sit down next to Arthiel. Emptying her pockets, she offered Arthiel the wild potatoes she had found. "If we boil these, they are very filling," she said, smiling happily. She began to peel off the tough outer skin and dropping them into a small pot. When they were all peeled, she carried the pot out to the stream to clean them and then, filling the pot with water, brought it back to the cave and placed it over the fire. Just when the water began to bubble, Tulcendor re-entered the cave, something thrown over his shoulder.

"What did you catch, Tulcendor?" Rhyanna asked.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 06:45
When Mîrion mentioned that Arthiel did not eat meat from animals, Tulcendor was rather surprised. He'd not heard of something like that before. - But, and he shuddered inwardly, thinking of what *he* had been forced to live on all these past decades, knew that he could not, and would not do the same for anyone else to make them eat what they did not wish to.

But, fetching his dagger, the orc-elf prepared to leave for hunting, first casting a cautious glance outside the cave to see if it was yet dark enough for his eyes. - It was cloudy, he noticed, and debating if they'd last long enough, crept outside.

To his further startlement, Rhyanna went to her pack and pulled out a small knife of her own. She marched out of the cave after Tulcendor, who turned as if to ask where she was going. She grinned at him, saying, "Come on, Tulcendor. You go get rabbits or something, I'm going to search for something else. But hurry, the sky is full of dark clouds, so your eyes won't hurt too much but if they clear away, you'll be in trouble"

Smiling to himself, and completely forgetting about his 'crown', Tulcendor began following a nearby stream to see what he could find.

The orc-elf, however, found himself ranging farther away from the shelter than he'd have liked. - And, at one point, huddled behind some rocks when he heard voices not far away. - But, whoever it had been was soon gone, and (making sure he was not going in the same direction) continued on with his hunting.

The clouds, to Tulcendor's relief, not only didn't fade, but became darker, aiding his eyesight. Rain, he didn't care about, though he was glad that he was able to find something before the huge drops began to fall all around him and he headed back to the cave...

Just when the water began to bubble, Tulcendor re-entered the cave, something thrown over his shoulder.

Only glad that *she* had returned safely (his little friend never leaving the orc-elf's thoughts), Tulcendor set his contribution down on the stone floor of the cave.

"A fawn," he said half-sadly, and with a sigh, briefly touched his kill's head. "It's leg was broken," he went on, "and no sign of the mother." Flushing slightly, "I couldn't let it 'suffer'," he finished, and sighing again, set to skinning it. "Did you find something for Arthiel?" he then asked, looking up, seeing Rhyanna had a bowl of water boiling on the fire and was dumping something into it.

But, with a smile at Rhyanna when he again saw she was still wearing her flowers, Tulcendor remembered that his were still on his own head. And, again, he cared not if he might look strange.

Yet, when the skinning was done, Tulcendor looked up at Aeldrid and Mîrion. "I'm afraid," he said slowly, and reddening with embarrassment, "I don't remember much about 'cooking' meat... would one of you do the rest?" he asked, and wondered aloud what should be 'done' with the pelt. It was marked quite prettily, he observed, and would make a nice wrap for Rhyanna - if it could be cleaned...
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 06:26
"Not using our supplies would probably be best; I also think it would be best to stay here for another day or so."

"Yes, I suppose. Until Telerea recovers at the very least or if no one objects." Mîrion replied and very quietly, he added, "you did save my wife, after all...and we are all worried for Telerea." The Elven lord paused for a second and changed the subject. "Aeldrid, tell me, where did you learn to fight? To yield weapons? You do have talent..."

Arthiel walked to the entrance of the cave, and gazing up he saw that the sky was grey, immersed in rain clouds. Tulcendor and Rhyanna had left the cave. The orc-elf's purpose was clear, but Rhyanna's less so...she hoped that the young girl would be careful. The woods were still not entirely safe. But if the girl were in danger, she was sure that Tulcendor would be at her aid in almost no time at all. Arthiel turned back and sat down a fair distance from Telerea, in case there would be need of her. Aeldrid and her husband were in conversation, but Arthiel paid no heed to their words. It sounded as though they were speaking of battle.

Rhyanna returned and quickly ran to sit down next to Arthiel. Emptying her pockets, she offered Arthiel the wild potatoes she had found. "If we boil these, they are very filling," she said, smiling happily. She began to peel off the tough outer skin and dropping them into a small pot.

Very slightly, almost unnoticeable, Arthiel flushed. That must've been the reason why Rhyanna left the cave, to find plants since she didn't eat meat. "Oh, Rhyanna. How thoughtful. Thank you very much. But, how did you know where to find these? They do look quite nice..."

Tulcendor re-entered the cave, something thrown over his shoulder.

A fawn. Mîrion observed immediately. It's leg appeared to be broken. Poor thing, he thought, but there was no point in letting it suffer since it's mother had appeared to be no where. Tulcendor set about skinning the fawn.

When the skinning was done, Tulcendor looked up at Aeldrid and Mîrion. "I'm afraid," he said slowly, and reddening with embarrassment, "I don't remember much about 'cooking' meat... would one of you do the rest?" he asked.

"I would gladly help, but, Aeldrid what do you know of cooking game? Perhaps you possess more knowledge of this than myself." Mîrion responded. While he had hunted on many occasions, and of course was a skilled warrior, he knew only a fair amount of cooking and the like.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 08:59
"Yes, I suppose. Until Telerea recovers at the very least or if no one objects." Mîrion replied and very quietly, he added, "you did save my wife, after all...and we are all worried for Telerea." The Elven lord paused for a second and changed the subject. "Aeldrid, tell me, where did you learn to fight? To yield weapons? You do have talent..."

"I am a soldier of Gondor." Aeldrid said quietly. "They are the ones who taught me to use a sword; my father taught me to use a bow once I was old enough to stand and shoot."

Further conversation was prevented as Rhyanna came back, proudly showing her potatoes for Arithiel. Aeldrid smiled at her fondly, one hand reaching out to smooth the golden locks under the flower crown. She was growing up so fast before his eyes...

Tulcendor returned with the fawn he had caught and skinned it quite well.

"I'm afraid," the half-orc said slowly, and reddening with embarrassment, "I don't remember much about 'cooking' meat... would one of you do the rest?"

"I would gladly help, but, Aeldrid what do you know of cooking game? Perhaps you possess more knowledge of this than myself." Mîrion responded.

Aeldrid smiled and soon began butchering the skinned meat. "If you want too, Tulcendor, I can show you how to treat the skin." he said casually. He had seen Tulcendor's eyes on the pelt and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 11:40
Rhyanna had already put the potatoes into the pot by the time Tulcendor returned with a fawn. "Oh, a baby deer. How could you kill it, Tulcendor?"

"It's leg was broken," he went on, "and no sign of the mother." Flushing slightly, "I couldn't let it 'suffer'," he finished, and sighing again, set to skinning it. "Did you find something for Arthiel?" he then asked, looking up, seeing Rhyanna had a bowl of water boiling on the fire and was dumping something into it.

Rhyanna realized that Tulcendor had probably done the right thing but still it made her cry a tear for the small fawn. When Tulcendor asked if she had found something for Arthiel, she heaved a big sigh for the loss of the fawn but then smiled as she proudly told him what she had found. "Potatoes...wild potatoes...they were growing in the meadow where I found our flowers. I noticed them at the time and when Arthiel," here she looked at the elf maiden and smiled, "said she could not eat meat, I thought about them at once. So I went and dug them up. Don't they smell good? They will go very well with the meat...for those of us who do eat meat, that is," she said, smiling once again at Arthiel.

She brought some tea to Telerea while Tulcendor was busy skinning the deer and was happy to see that Telerea was now able to sit up slightly, propped against a soft pack that was pressed against the wall of the cave. She listened to Tulcendor speaking to Aeldrid and Mîrion.

When the skinning was done, Tulcendor looked up at Aeldrid and Mîrion. "I'm afraid," he said slowly, and reddening with embarrassment, "I don't remember much about 'cooking' meat... would one of you do the rest?" he asked.

"I would gladly help, but, Aeldrid what do you know of cooking game? Perhaps you possess more knowledge of this than myself." Mîrion responded.

Aeldrid smiled and soon began butchering the skinned meat. "If you want too, Tulcendor, I can show you how to treat the skin." he said casually. He had seen Tulcendor's eyes on the pelt and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

Rhyanna also knew how to 'cook' the meat as she had watched her father do the same many times and she began to set up two small tripods of sticks, bracing a long one which she had saturated with water from the stream over the fire. By the time Aeldrid was finished carving the meat into pieces, she was ready to slide them on the cross piece to allow them to roast.

While the meat was roasting, she asked many questions of everyone but the one that mattered most to her was the one she asked Mîrion and Arthiel. "Tomorrow, we will begin to cross the plains of Rohan, I think. I'm trying to remember my Papa's maps and I'm sure that is where we will be next. How long will it take to get to Rivendell after we leave here?" She wanted Tulcendor to reach his home as soon as possible.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 20, 2005 01:56

It was Mîrion who first answered Tulcendor's question on 'cooking', but his little friend's brother who took it upon himself to attend to the meat.

Watching the man work, Tulcendor's golden-colored eyes brightened. A smile touched his lips, and the orc-elf nodded. "I would like that - very much... thank you," he replied, and then (rather surprised at Rhyanna's knowledge) saw her setting up sticks to aid in the roasting.

Grinning at her, "You're very smart, Rhyanna!" Tulcendor told his young friend, but when everything else was 'ready', he then turned to Aeldrid.

"Could you please show me how to save the skin, now?" he asked, thinking that the sooner they worked on it, the sooner Tulcendor could give Rhyanna an extra wrap against the cold.

While the meat was roasting, she asked many questions of everyone but the one that mattered most to her was the one she asked Mîrion and Arthiel. "Tomorrow, we will begin to cross the plains of Rohan, I think. I'm trying to remember my Papa's maps and I'm sure that is where we will be next. How long will it take to get to Rivendell after we leave here?" She wanted Tulcendor to reach his home as soon as possible.

Looking up from his careful attention to Aeldrid, Tulcendor's oddly-colored eyes were wide, and biting his lip, waited anxiously for the elves reply...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email