Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: "Going Home" (Permission by PM only)
on: October 10, 2005 09:28
Aeldrid sat still as Telerea felt his face; her touch was light, but Aeldrid was glad she could not see. Otherwise she would have seen his cheeks flush. The young soldier was not accomstumed to any woman touching his face beyond his mother and sisters.

"Protector." he repeated, half to himself. "It is a good name."

Aeldrid finally laid down and almost immediately fell asleep. It seemed only a few minutes when Rhyanna tugged his arm, hungry. He instantly sat up, intending to go to his saddlebags, but Telerea stepped in and gave Rhyanna something, which the little girl happily shared with him and then Gwat-no, Tulcendor now.

Aeldrid ate the bread - that was what he assumed it to be - and was surprisingly full after eating only a small portion. He looked at the cream colored piece in his hand and then finished it. He stood, while Rhyanna and her friend sat togethor.

Telerea was standing near the door. Aeldrid smiled to himself; remembering Rhyanna's request that he make sure to look after the elven woman. He would after a fashion, but no more so than he would a comrade. Aeldrid had a feeling that the lady did not like being babyied.

"Thank you for sharing the bread." he stated, coming to stand next to her. "I have never tasted it's like before."
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 02:45
Rhyanna accepted the pieces of the light colored baked item that seemed to be something between bread and a cookie. She looked at them sceptically turning them over and over in her hands. She was very hungry and a cookie was nice but not enough for her grumbling tummy to take seriously. However, sighing, she went to the two elves and held out her hand, offering them both to help themselves. When they took only a very small piece, she urged them to take more. "You could have a bigger piece, there seems to be enough for you to take more than a mouthful." When they both smiled and settled to eat the pieces they had taken, she shrugged and walked over to Aeldrid. "Aeldrid, Telerea gave me this for us to share. Arthiel and her husband only took tiny pieces. I think they were being very kind but you can have a bigger piece if you want." But Aeldrid only took a small piece himself, which left two little pieces left, one for her and one for Tulcendor.

She looked for her friend and saw him ducking under the small doorway from the back of the barn and offered him his choice of the remaining bread. "It's very little, Tulcendor. You can have the bigger piece if you want." She was hoping he'd take the smaller of the two, though, in fairness, he really was much bigger than she and had more to feed....but she was so hungry. He did take the small one and she felt a moment of guilt until he said, "I'd forgotten how good this tasted!" and... "I know it's only a small piece... but I think it will keep you from getting hungry for quite some time, Rhyanna... give it a try!"

Sighing a huge sigh, she took a nibble off her piece. Within moments, her tummy had stopped grumbling...in fact, she felt as though she had eaten an entire meal. Her eyes widened and she grinned from ear to ear. Gobbling the rest of her lembas down in one chew, she actually felt stuffed. "Tulcendor, what is this bread? How can it do that?" she asked, knowing he would understand what it was she was questioning. She leaned back against the bale behind her, her hand resting on her stomach. Her mind was racing, wondering if Telerea had the recipe for this. All she could think of was baking some of this when she got home and then surprising her mama, papa and sister with its effects. She was going to run to Telerea to ask when she noticed her brother moving across the barn toward the door, where Telerea was standing, her face lifted as though she was smelling the soft evening breeze. Aeldrid stood at her side, talking quietly to her. Rhyanna poked Tulcendor in the ribs and pointed at the pair, smiling happily. "I think he likes her, Tulcendor. He never talks to women because he's too shy around them. I wonder if she likes him too."

She began gathering her things back into her bag and when she had everything in order again, she turned to Tulcendor. Picking up the comb that had fallen from his bag, she said, "Sit still while I straighten out the tangles in your hair. We're going to try and find a place to eat and stay tonight and you should try and look as neat as possible." She worked and worked at untangling his hair until it hung straight and smooth. "There, that's better. Now, can you braid mine again? It's full of weeds and hay." Handing him the comb, she pulled the ribbon out and loosened her fair hair, which fell over her shoulders in soft waves of golden blond. She sat quietly, waiting for Tulcendor to begin combing out the tangles and braiding it. When nothing happened, she turned to see what he was doing. He was staring at her hair but when she turned, her soft brown eyes met his. "What, Tulcendor, what is it?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 03:28
Sighing a huge sigh, she took a nibble off her piece. Within moments, her tummy had stopped grumbling...in fact, she felt as though she had eaten an entire meal. Her eyes widened and she grinned from ear to ear. Gobbling the rest of her lembas down in one chew, she actually felt stuffed. "Tulcendor, what is this bread? How can it do that?" she asked, knowing he would understand what it was she was questioning. She leaned back against the bale behind her, her hand resting on her stomach.

"It's called 'Lembas' - did Telerea tell you that?" and Tulcendor almost grinned at Rhyanna's astonishment. "It's elven 'way'-bread... or 'journey'-bread is another name," he went on, and feeling rather elated that he could remember this much. "It's 'special'," he went on, "so a small bit takes care of being hungry."

Tulcendor sighed, almost 'happily'. A day's rest; 'friends' - so it would seem - for the first time in 500 years; and Rhyanna's bright chatter to listen to along the way had quietly cheered the orc-elf. - And, it was all due to his little friend! What luck he'd stopped in that particular barn! It's something that couldn't have been 'foreseen'... or...

Rhyanna poked Tulcendor in the ribs and pointed at the pair, smiling happily. "I think he likes her, Tulcendor. He never talks to women because he's too shy around them. I wonder if she likes him too."

Distracted, Tulcendor blinked at the man and elleth, but such things were beyond his knowing.

She began gathering her things back into her bag and when she had everything in order again, she turned to Tulcendor. Picking up the comb that had fallen from his bag, she said, "Sit still while I straighten out the tangles in your hair. We're going to try and find a place to eat and stay tonight and you should try and look as neat as possible."

As so often, before he get a word in 'edgewise', Rhyanna started tugging the comb through his long, black hair. A protest rose to his lips... but while Tulcendor 'felt' something wasn't quite 'right' about her doing so, he knew he couldn't 'explain' it if he tried. In silence, and wishing he could remember, the orc-elf stayed still.

She worked and worked at untangling his hair until it hung straight and smooth. "There, that's better. Now, can you braid mine again? It's full of weeds and hay." Handing him the comb, she pulled the ribbon out and loosened her fair hair, which fell over her shoulders in soft waves of golden blond. She sat quietly, waiting for Tulcendor to begin combing out the tangles and braiding it.

Long blond locks! Again, what Tulcendor 'saw' was not the hay-and-weed studded hair of Rhyanna-the-child... but golden waves shining in the morning sun that belonged to - belonged to... and... then - as before - the 'vision' was 'gone'.

When nothing happened, she turned to see what he was doing. He was staring at her hair but when she turned, her soft brown eyes met his. "What, Tulcendor, what is it?"

Numb, and even more confused than he had been earlier, Tulcendor just shook his head. "Turn around," he said in his low 'gravely' voice, and trying to keep his hands from shaking, the orc-elf dutifully tended to his young friend's hair. When he'd finished, he tried to smile when Rhyanna thanked him, but more than ever, Tulcendor wanted to get on the road and back to Imladris.

Looking around at the others, he wondered how much longer before they, too, would be ready to leave...
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 05:07
Mîrion awoke to a slight movement that he felt brush across his shoulder. He peered down his left shoulder and found Arthiel curled up next to him, eyes closed, breathing softly. It seemed now that everyone had awaken. He quickly stole a glance outside. The sun had dissolved and disappeared into the horizon, and the moon was rising steadily across the faded night sky.

Gently, Mîrion shook Arthiel, "Meleth nín, the time has to awaken. Everyone is up already, and look...the sky. Isn't it beautiful?"

Arthiel opened her eyes slowly and rubbed them, trying to wipe away the fatigue. "Hmmm...oh yes...indeed it is," she replied drowsily. Arthiel had never much of a "morning" person; she had the hardest time waking up early in morning, especially at the break of dawn. Actually, the same applied whenever she woke. Always drowsy, vaguely aware of her surroundings.

Rhyanna came over to them, offering them pieces of lembas bread. It was Telerea's supply. They did have their own supply of food and lembas, but should the next occasion arise, they would offer to share their supply. They took only small pieces, but Rhyanna pressed them further to take more, "You could have a bigger piece, there seems to be enough for you to take more than a mouthful."

Mîrion smiled at her, "No thank you, this portion of lembas will do for now." With that, Rhyanna shrugged and walked over to her brother with what was left of the lembas bread. After eating their share of lembas they were both content. Arthiel's attention was immediately drawn to Telerea and Aeldrid standing by the barn door. They spoke quietly. Arthiel leaned into Mîrion and said, "Do you know who Aeldrid reminds me of at this moment?"

"Who?" He asked with a puzzled look on his face. He certainly had no idea who she was thinking of and he detested guessing games. Arthiel knew better than to provoke him in that manner.

"You...when we first started...or you began to court me," Arthiel answered him with a teasingly mischievous smile. "You were so shy, but charming and always blushing whenever - " Mîrion cut her off with a quiet exclamation.

"What!? You are mad! I was never shy around you at all! Why and where on earth would you get such an insane notion!? I- I-..." He said quickly but faltered not knowing what to say in his defence. His face was absolutely burning and no doubt that his cheeks were red as the deep hues of a rose petal. Valar help him, but she in every aspect was right. He knew it and she knew it. He had been incredibly shy around her when he first began expressing an interest in her. Which was odd since he was always social and outgoing. He had never been afraid to speak with women, afraid of their rejection, or court them for that matter until he'd met Arthiel. But...he'd never been in love before meeting her, nor had he gazed upon such a captivatingly beautiful women.

Gazing up at Mîrion, she was aware of his ... embarrassment and suppressed a giggle. Instead she rested her cheek below his shoulder. She knew that she didn't need to say anything in response, Mîrion knew a very long time ago that her heart was given only to him - forever. And they waited until the time was right to set out for Rivendell.

~~~~
Meleth nín - My love

[Edited on 11/10/2005 by Lady~Eowyn]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 11:08

"Thank you for sharing the bread." Aeldrid stated, coming to stand next to her. "I have never tasted it's like before."
Telerea turned around with a start. She had been so absorbed in her own thoughts that she had not heard Aeldrid coming.

She blushed slightly. "It was my pleasure..." she began and suddenly did not know how to go on. She liked Rhyanna's quiet brother, liked the feeling of calm assurance when he was near. It somehow felt good for him to be near her. She smiled.

"Forgive me," she started again, then smiled again. "It is not good manners to stop talking in the middle of a sentence. I hope you liked it. " Again, she was at a loss for words. This felt strange and unusual to her. Normally she had no difficulty saying whatever was necessary - she even liked chatting with people. Why then could she not bring herself to say an intelligent sentence?

As she could not think of what else to say, she asked "When do you think we will be on our way? And how should we solve the horse situation - we have two more people than horses..." Stupid - she thought and then despite herself had to laugh. Her laugh was soft and pleasant.

Then she said "You must think me quite silly." smiled at Aeldrid and turned around again, trying to concentrate on the night sounds.

(ooc - sorry, not my best post... but hope it'll do nonetheless...)

Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 01:37
"No, not at all." Aeldrid's voice was quieter than normal. He could have never found the elven woman "silly". Even if he could, it would have gone against every ounce of manners he had to agree with her.

"As for the horse problem, I am sure Cerebil can carry both Tulcendor and I, if you would not mind sharing your saddle with Rhyanna." he said, a little unsure. "If not, I am sure Lord Mirion or Lady Arthiel could. Have her ride with one of them I mean."

His cheeks reddened slightly and he was glad she could not see it. He must sound a fool at times.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 05:49
Rhyanna tucked the comb back into Tulcendor's bag and stood up, turning to give him a quick hug around his neck as he sat on the floor of the barn. "Thank you, Tulcendor." Then she ran to the front of the barn to where Aeldrid and Telerea were standing silently side by side. "Look, Aeldrid, look at my braids. They're elven braids. Tulcendor did them for me. What do you think? Do you like them?" Turning to Telerea, she asked shyly, "Would you feel them for me and see if they are like they should be?" She whispered, "I think it's been a long time since he's done this so they may not be perfect but don't say anything to him. It would really hurt his feelings, I think. Besides, I think they feel alright to me so if they're not as perfect as the elves do them, that's just fine with me. It's nice that he takes the time because my hair is very fly-away most of the time. At least that's what Mama says, right Aeldrid?"

She waited for a few moments to give Telerea a chance to 'feel' her newly braided hair and then ran to the side of Arthiel and Mîrion, asking them to look at her braids as well. She knew that Tulcendor had probably not made her hair look as good as Arthiel's or Telerea's but she was feeling very 'Elvish' and pretty anyway. When they had responded to her, she smiled and went back into the now dark barn, searching in the dark for her bag. Tulcendor's hand reached out from the dark and handed it to her. She took it in hers, and then grabbed his hand and dragged him to the front of the barn where everyone else was just standing around, as far as she was concerned.

"Aeldrid, we should really start traveling, especially if we are to find somewhere to stay and also to buy food by morning." Looking outside, she counted the four horses and then thought about the six people that were here now. She grinned to herself as she planned her next move to get Aeldrid and Telerea to talk more to each other.

"Aeldrid, we only have four horses so two of us will have to ride with someone else. If you could give Tulcendor and me your horse, we could ride together....." Her voice trailed off and she scratched her head as though solving a deep problem, though she knew exactly what she was going to say next. Trying to sound as serious and puzzled as her young mind could muster, she said, "Oh, but then you'd have nothing to ride. Oh! But I know...you could ride with Telerea, couldn't you? Yes, that would be alright, wouldn't it?" Turning to Telerea, she asked, "Would that be alright with you, if Aeldrid rode with you?" Smugly, she stood waiting for their answer. As she waited, she glanced over at Arthiel and Mîrion, and winked boldly when she caught their eyes on her.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 06:30
Tulcendor's wan smile changed into a true one when Ryanna hugged him, but as she ran throughout the barn, the orc-elf became lost in thought. What did those... 'visions' mean? he wondered, and paid little attention to anything else until his friend came back.

Seeing he searching in the darkness for it, Tulcendor handed Rhyanna her pack.

She took it in hers, and then grabbed his hand and dragged him to the front of the barn where everyone else was just standing around, as far as she was concerned.

"Aeldrid, we should really start traveling, especially if we are to find somewhere to stay and also to buy food by morning." Looking outside, she counted the four horses and then thought about the six people that were here now. She grinned to herself as she planned her next move to get Aeldrid and Telerea to talk more to each other.

"Aeldrid, we only have four horses so two of us will have to ride with someone else. If you could give Tulcendor and me your horse, we could ride together....." Her voice trailed off and she scratched her head as though solving a deep problem, though she knew exactly what she was going to say next. Trying to sound as serious and puzzled as her young mind could muster, she said, "Oh, but then you'd have nothing to ride. Oh! But I know...you could ride with Telerea, couldn't you? Yes, that would be alright, wouldn't it?" Turning to Telerea, she asked, "Would that be alright with you, if Aeldrid rode with you?" Smugly, she stood waiting for their answer.

At that, and at first Tulcendor found himself hiding a smile... remembering Rhyanna's question about her brother and the blind elleth... but then... he winced. This... was *not* going to be 'easy'.

Horses... did not... 'like'... orcs. - And, as he'd been afraid of with the cart-horse, Tulcendor quite suspected that even the most well-trained and gentlest of elven mounts would object to him being anywhere near them... much less allow him to ride. - And for Aeldrid's to permit it with his master not astride? Not likely.

Kneeling down to her level, "Rhyanna..." Tulcendor called quietly, and looked at his friend seriously. "I'm... I'm not... 'certain' that will work," he went on, and at her puzzled look, he sighed.

"Watch," he then said sadly, and making sure the girl was well back from hoof-striking range, Tulcendor rose, and keeping his eye on the animals, slowly made his way closer to where they'd been picketed.

And... this time, it was Gwathur who froze, and braced himself against the frightened neighs, half-rears and pawing hooves of the four mounts. 'Orc' he smelled like to them... and none of them - even Telerea's so-gentle mount was having anything at all to do with him.

Hating the demonstration before everyone, Tulcendor slowly backed away, and turned again to his so-dear little friend.

"Do you see, Rhyanna?" he asked, his voice 'pained' and depressed, "They won't 'let' me near. They know I'm still 'orc', Rhyanna... they know I'm not... not..." and in the darkness, lowered his eyes to the ground. "You ride," Tulcendor went on, not meeting anyone's gaze, "I will walk. - If you get a bit ahead of me... that's all right, I'll catch up before daylight..."
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 06:57
Kneeling down to her level, "Rhyanna..." Tulcendor called quietly, and looked at his friend seriously. "I'm... I'm not... 'certain' that will work," he went on, and at her puzzled look, he sighed.

"Watch," he then said sadly, and making sure the girl was well back from hoof-striking range, Tulcendor rose, and slowly made his way closer to where they'd been picketed.

And... this time, it was Gwathur who froze, and braced himself against the frightened neighs, half-rears and pawing hooves of the four mounts. 'Orc' he smelled like to them... and none of them - even Telerea's so-gentle mount was having anything at all to do with him.
Tulcendor slowly backed away, and turned again to his so-dear little friend.

"Do you see, Rhyanna?" he asked, his voice 'pained' and depressed, "They won't 'let' me near. They know I'm still 'orc', Rhyanna... they know I'm not... not..." and in the darkness, lowered his eyes to the ground. "You ride," Tulcendor went on, not meeting anyone's gaze, "I will walk. - If you get a bit ahead of me... that's all right, I'll catch up before daylight..."

Telerea had listened to the demonstration and Tulcendor's conclusion. It would not do - he would be much too slow and she was aware that Rhyanna would refuse to ride then, too. Slowly, she approached Berioreth.

Stroking the horses nose she mumbled words in her mother tongue to calm the horse and after a while she succeeded. She continued talking to the horse in a low tone, then said to Tulcendor. "Stay still and remain calm..." Slowly she led the horse towards Tulcendor. When she knew they were very close she stopped. "Let her smell you; move slowly. " Telerea said between what she said to the horse.

Berioreth slowly put her head forward until the horse touched Tulcendors hand. "Mellon," Telerea said to the horse, then turned to Tulcendor again. "You can pet her... Let her get used to you for a little while and talk to her - she will bear you, I'm sure."

She stepped back, but watched as Tulcendor petted her horse and talked to her. She felt Aeldrid standing behind her. "She is well trained," she explained, when she felt his questioning attitude. "She will do what I tell her - she knows I would never command her to do something unreasonable. It will be all right."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 07:21
Aeldrid nodded, tightly holding Cerebil's riens as the horse snorted again. "Good. Cerebil I am afraid is far too wary of an...orcish scent." Aeldrid hurried on, wishing he had not said anything to begin with. "He is quite stubborn as well. But he can carry who ever need be. Eventually. Er..."

He felt as if he had been reduced to a child no older than Rhyanna who had been suddenly thrust in to the royal court with little instruction. All these elves were turning his head.

"We should decide who rides with whom and soon; so we may be on our way." he finished, a little more gruffly than usual due to his embarrasment.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 06:11

"Watch," he then said sadly, and making sure the girl was well back from hoof-striking range, Tulcendor rose, and keeping his eye on the animals, slowly made his way closer to where they'd been picketed.

Rhyanna watched in horror as the horses reared and whinnied in fear at the closeness of Tulcendor. He was her friend. He was a good person. He wouldn't hurt them. Why were they doing this to him? She looked at her brother, then Telerea, then the two Rivendell elves, waiting for one of them to do something. It wasn't fair to Tulcendor. He couldn't help who he was. But they all stood there doing nothing. Before she could cry out in pain for her friend, he turned to her.

"NOOOO!," she cried out. "No! If you walk then so do I." Her lower lip began to quiver but her jaw stuck out in defiance of the horses, and the world, that would cause her friend such pain. Then she noticed from the corner of her eye Telerea moving slowly towards her horse. She spoke softly to the steed, whispering words that Rhyanna could not quite hear nor understand even if she could, as Telerea spoke the words of the Elves. Slowly the horse calmed and began to nuzzle Telerea's hand. Then she began leading the horse towards Tulcendor.

"Stay still and remain calm..." Slowly she led the horse towards Tulcendor. When she knew they were very close she stopped. "Let her smell you; move slowly. " Telerea said between what she said to the horse.

Berioreth slowly put her head forward until the horse touched Tulcendors hand. "Mellon," Telerea said to the horse, then turned to Tulcendor again. "You can pet her... Let her get used to you for a little while and talk to her - she will bear you, I'm sure."

She stepped back, but watched as Tulcendor petted her horse and talked to her. She felt Aeldrid standing behind her. "She is well trained," she explained, when she felt his questioning attitude. "She will do what I tell her - she knows I would never command her to do something unreasonable. It will be all right."

Rhyanna watched Tulcendor and Berioreth as they stood next to one another, Tulcendor softly talking to the horse and the horse calmly standing at his side. Rhyanna let out the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding for sooo long. It was going to be alright. She sighed a big sigh of relief. She was going to ask Telerea if she could go and pet Berioreth until she noted that the elf maiden and her brother were talking to each other. Smiling to herself and deciding not to disturb them, she simply walked to Tulcendor's side, reaching up to pat the horses muzzle. "Good horse, good horse," she said softly, smiling up at Tulcendor with deep happiness in her eyes. "See, Tulcendor, it will be alright. I'll ride with you if Telerea can ride with Aeldrid along side us...just to be sure Berioreth knows she's near."

She heard at that moment her brother's words. "We should decide who rides with whom and soon; so we may be on our way." he finished, a little more gruffly than usual due to his embarrasment. Rhyanna inadvertently embarrassed him even further.

"Aeldrid, may I ride with with Tulcendor? You could carry Telerea but stay near us so that Berioreth knows it's alright with her that Tulcendor and I are on his back."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 08:20
"NOOOO!," she cried out. "No! If you walk then so do I." Her lower lip began to quiver but her jaw stuck out in defiance of the horses, and the world, that would cause her friend such pain.

"Rhyanna!" Tulcendor's voice was gentle, as he tried to reassure his small friend. "Really... it will be all right," but the orc-elf's tone was 'doubtful'.

But then, seeing Telerea going to her mount, Tulcendor paused... thinking at first she was merely going to soothe her upset steed... and envied the way she calmed it... though even the elven words she used were strange to him. - And then, he remembered - there were other strains of the elven-tongue than the one he struggled to remember. His own name was of - of... and Tulcendor fought a sigh when he couldn't recall it's name.

Slowly the horse calmed and began to nuzzle Telerea's hand. Then she began leading the horse towards Tulcendor.

"Stay still and remain calm..." Slowly she led the horse towards Tulcendor. When she knew they were very close she stopped. "Let her smell you; move slowly. " Telerea said between what she said to the horse.

Standing frozen in place, Tulcendor obeyed as best he could... horses could smell fear as well as they could orcs.

Yet, hesitantly, he stroked the silky nose. "Hello... Berioreth," the orc-elf said quietly. "I had a horse once... a long time ago... when I was young," Tulcendor began, and tried hard to think of his horse's name - but failed. "We were great friends, he and I. We used to travel all over Imladris. He was a different color than you are, but you're gentler than he was. I wish I could remember his name - to tell you..." and as long as he kept his voice 'calm', Tulcendor hoped it didn't matter 'what' he said to Telerea's mount.

And, so it seemed to be, when Berioreth remained calmly by his side. Elated, Tulcendor smiled down at his friend, when Rhyanna joined him.

Smiling to herself and deciding not to disturb them, she simply walked to Tulcendor's side, reaching up to pat the horses muzzle. "Good horse, good horse," she said softly, smiling up at Tulcendor with deep happiness in her eyes. "See, Tulcendor, it will be alright. I'll ride with you if Telerea can ride with Aeldrid along side us...just to be sure Berioreth knows she's near."

She heard at that moment her brother's words. "We should decide who rides with whom and soon; so we may be on our way." he finished, a little more gruffly than usual due to his embarrasment. Rhyanna inadvertently embarrassed him even further.

"Aeldrid, may I ride with with Tulcendor? You could carry Telerea but stay near us so that Berioreth knows it's alright with her that Tulcendor and I are on his back."

Biting his lip, Tulcendor's oddly-colored eyes wavered between Rhyanna... and Telerea... and Aeldrid...

Daring to add his voice to his little friend's, since he was eager to get on the road, the orc-elf spoke. "I'll take care she doesn't fall off, Aeldrid," he said anxiously, and sounding almost... 'child-like' in his words. "I promise! Will you let Rhyanna ride with me?"
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 13, 2005 04:56
Mîrion and Arthiel were still sitting, with their backs leaning against the wall of the barn when Rhyanna came to their side and asked her to look at her newly braided hair. It wasn't as elegant or neatly done as the usual elven hairstyles, but since Tulcendor was probably the one who styled her hair, it look quite nice. They gave Rhyanna a smile and told her that it looked lovely.

Getting up, Mîrion he extended his hand down towards his wife. She gladly took his hand. Mîrion stood with his back against the wooden wall of the barn, his arms folded across his chest, waiting for when they would set out. Soon their attention was drawn immediately to the trouble that was stirring.

Tulcendor was attempting to go near one of the horses, but to no avail. It wouldn't stay calm at his "orc-ish" scent, and the creature began to panic in a frenzy. Horses did not like orcs, and it did not look as if Aeldrid's nor Telerea's horse would bear Tulcendor. Mîrion knew that his own horse, Menel, would not do so much as to bear those who shared kin with the servants of Sauron. And Arthiel's horse Wílolos...well it was much too fond of her to usually bear any other living being. After all, she had used her healing to skills to save it's life and after that it was quite clear that the horse would allow only Arthiel to be it's owner and caretaker.

"I will walk. - If you get a bit ahead of me... that's all right, I'll catch up before daylight..." Tulcendor said. At his words Rhyanna cried out.

"NOOOO! No! If you walk then so do I."

Just then in the emotional upset of things, Telerea began to speak with her own horse Berioreth, in her mother tongue, trying to comfort the creature in an effort to get it to bear Tulcendor. It took a couple of moments before it worked. Telerea then instructed Tulcendor to let the horse familiarize itself with him. She was positive that Berioreth would would let Tulcendor ride on it.

Soon, they were readying to leave, but it was not completely decided on about who would ride with whom. Rhyanna was going to ride with Tulcendor if her brother would permit it, and Rhyanna determined to see Aeldrid and Telerea well, get acquainted with eacher, suggested that they ride together.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 03:43
Aeldrid sighed as Rhyanna's watery brown eyes looked up at him. "Rhyanna..." he breathed. Her lip quivered. All of his will crumbled.

"Very well, but if one thing goes wrong, you are riding with me, do you understand?"

The young soldier turned to Tulcendor. "She may ride with you, but for both your safety, if something happens - no matter how slight - I will remove her." He knew he sounded stern. It was not his intent; but he would not suffer one of their party (least of all his little sister) to be hurt.

Aeldrid looked at Telerea and uncomfortably felt another blush coming on. "My lady...if you would ride with me, I would be honored."

Was that too formal? Aeldrid once again felt completely out of his depth.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 12:33
Telerea smiled, then said as well to Tulcendor as to Aeldrid, "Don't worry - Berioreth will not let you fall if she can help it. Her name was chosen for a reason. Now that she knows you - she will protect you in everyway she can. And as for riding with you Aeldrid - the honor is mine. "
She could sense that a little girl was very happy at the moment.

Before they set out she remembered, that she had 'seen' Tulcendor and Aeldrid, but not Rhyanna. She of course had drawn her conclusions, nonetheless she wanted to know, not only to think.

She went over to where Rhyanna stood, knelt down and asked the same question she had so many times. "May I look at you?" After having gotten permission she touched the girls face. When she was finished, she said "Rhyanna, you'll have to help me in one or two points that I cannot touch. What color is your hair and what color are your eyes?"
Telerea figured that she in this way would be able to gather the last information she needed to see a perfect image of Aeldrid in her mind. She waited patiently for the answer.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 07:23
Aeldrid sighed as Rhyanna's watery brown eyes looked up at him. "Rhyanna..." he breathed. Her lip quivered. All of his will crumbled.

"Very well, but if one thing goes wrong, you are riding with me, do you understand?"

The young soldier turned to Tulcendor. "She may ride with you, but for both your safety, if something happens - no matter how slight - I will remove her." He knew he sounded stern. It was not his intent; but he would not suffer one of their party (least of all his little sister) to be hurt.

"Oh, thank you thank you thank you, Aeldrid." Rhyanna threw her arms around Aeldrid's waist and hugged him as tightly as she could. They could all ride, she thought, so they would get to Imladris all the sooner. "Come on, Tulcendor. Get your stuff together and let's go. I will be hungry again soon, I just know it, and we can't be eating all Telerea's food. It isn't polite. And besides, the night is passing." She dashed to the back of the barn where their packs were still lying on the floor and gathered her belongings, stuffing them into her bag. Rushing about like a chicken with its head cut off, she was full of youthful energy, thanks to the rest she had gotten and the Lembas bread she had eaten.

"Arthiel, you have traveled these roads before. How soon will it be before we come to a town or village? Will we find one before the morning comes?" Rhyanna asked the elf maiden who was now going to travel with them. Gazing sadly at Tulcendor, she finished in a sad voice. "Tulcendor cannot travel in the sunlight...at least not yet. We must find somewhere to stay during the day tomorrow." As an afterthought, she sighed and whispered, almost to herself, "I do wish he could be out in the daylight though. There are so many pretty things to see then." Pointing at a group of pale, almost gray, flowers growing by the edge of the barn, she spoke. "See those flowers? They look so pale and ... nothing... in the nighttime, even with the moon so bright, but in the sunlight, they are a glorious yellow and orange. And he can't see them that way. His whole life is pale and gray. It's so sad, isn't it? I do hope you will be able to help him, even if it's only so he can see the world in sunshine." Looking up at Arthiel, she smiled though the tears that were welling in her eyes.

When she was finished talking to Arthiel, she raced back toward the horse, just in time to hear Telerea tell Tulcendor and Aeldrid,
"Don't worry - Berioreth will not let you fall if she can help it. Her name was chosen for a reason. Now that she knows you - she will protect you in everyway she can. And as for riding with you Aeldrid - the honor is mine. "

"Well, Aeldrid, you heard her. We will be fine. And you and Telerea can ride next to us just to be sure." Rhyanna was grinning from ear to ear. Aeldrid and Telerea, together on his horse. How much closer could they be? And Aeldrid would have to talk to her, wouldn't he? They couldn't just ride in silence for miles and miles. She was always amazed at how shy he was. At least two of the village girls were always batting their eyes at him and he seemed not to notice or if he did, he blushed and walked in the opposite direction. She wanted to see her brother find a lady and she had determined for herself that there was no better lady than Telerea, who was quite beautiful, she thought, even if she couldn't see things around her.

As soon as this thought had passed through her mind, Telerea was suddenly kneeling in front of her. "May I look at you?" After having gotten permission she touched the girls face. When she was finished, she said "Rhyanna, you'll have to help me in one or two points that I cannot touch. What color is your hair and what color are your eyes?"

Rhyanna stood very still as the soft, gentle fingers searched her face. It was like butterflies brushing her cheek and it made her giggle. When Telerea asked for the colors of her eyes and hair, she happily responded that her papa always said her eyes looked like dark cocoa and her hair was like corn silk. She didn't know if Telerea had ever had cocoa so she added that cocoa was really really brown, but she was sure Telerea must know what corn silk was like so she said no more.

When Telerea stood, finished with her 'seeing' of Rhyanna's face, the child was all anxiousness to move along. She went to the side of the large steed, looking up ... and up. "Hmmm, you're mighty tall, Berioreth. And I am not as tall as I thought I was." She grinned when the horse turned its head and whoofed in her face. Turning to find Tulcendor, she called to him. "Tulcendor, if you are ready, I am. But I shall need you to lift me on to this huge beast."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 10:02

The young soldier turned to Tulcendor. "She may ride with you, but for both your safety, if something happens - no matter how slight - I will remove her." He knew he sounded stern.

Tulcendor's elation was dampened somewhat by the tone in Aeldrid's voice, and solemnly, he nodded. "That's fair," the orc-elf answered, and then turned a very wide smile on Rhyanna.

"Come on, Tulcendor. Get your stuff together and let's go. I will be hungry again soon, I just know it, and we can't be eating all Telerea's food. It isn't polite. And besides, the night is passing." She dashed to the back of the barn where their packs were still lying on the floor and gathered her belongings, stuffing them into her bag. Rushing about like a chicken with its head cut off, she was full of youthful energy, thanks to the rest she had gotten and the Lembas bread she had eaten.

Nodding, Tulcendor gathered his small sack, and slung it over his shoulder whilst his little friend spoke to the Healer. Rhyanna's concern for reaching their next goal before daylight - on his account, made him shake his head inwardly. Such a friend he'd made those few days ago...

she sighed and whispered, almost to herself, "I do wish he could be out in the daylight though. There are so many pretty things to see then." Pointing at a group of pale, almost gray, flowers growing by the edge of the barn, she spoke. "See those flowers? They look so pale and ... nothing... in the nighttime, even with the moon so bright, but in the sunlight, they are a glorious yellow and orange. And he can't see them that way. His whole life is pale and gray. It's so sad, isn't it? I do hope you will be able to help him, even if it's only so he can see the world in sunshine." Looking up at Arthiel, she smiled though the tears that were welling in her eyes.

At hearing that, Tulcendor lowered his gaze. How he'd like to do so! To feel the Sun's warmth on his face - and know that if he opened his eyes, there would be no pain! To walk under skies that were blue - and not black! - And, to see Rhyanna running through fields as she played amongst waves of tall grass! - Such would be more joy than one could almost bear to dream of!

And, besides... 'pale' and 'grey' didn't begin to describe what his life had been like for so very long! Trying not to shudder against the memories of the dark orcish caverns, he paused, and moved slowly back to Telerea's mare. It wouldn't 'do' to upset Berioreth needlessly... and she'd stayed calm - so far. Yet, he was fascinated, too, that the blind elleth could 'see' through her hands... and a small smile crossed the orc-elf's face to hear Rhyanna 'describing' her eyes and hair. - And yet, those 'flashes' of a golden-haired young woman were so much in his thoughts, that he wasn't paying attention when his small friend spoke to him again.

"Hmmm, you're mighty tall, Berioreth. And I am not as tall as I thought I was." She grinned when the horse turned its head and whoofed in her face. Turning to find Tulcendor, she called to him. "Tulcendor, if you are ready, I am. But I shall need you to lift me on to this huge beast."

Nodding, Tulcendor set down his pack beside hers, and carefully, carefully lifted Rhyanna on to Berioreth's back. After fixing their belongings where he could, Tulcendor took a deep breath. And, hoping he didn't look as 'clumsy' as he felt, the orc-elf swung himself up behind Rhyanna. It was a strange feeling... to be up so high again! Tulcendor thought, and while the others of their small group finished their own preparations, he slowly guided Berioreth towards the path.

Yet, when Rhyanna twisted around to give him a happy smile, Tulcendor answered it with a wide one of his own. And, with an arm securely around his friend's waist, they fell into stride beside Aeldrid and Telerea, with Mîrion and Arthiel not far behind them.

"To Imladris!" Tulcendor whispered to himself as they made their way down the road... and yet, his gravelly voice was not so soft that Rhyanna couldn't hear him, too...
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 01:23
Mîrion was scouting the barn, checking to see that nothing would be accidentally left behind. He'd done that a few times when he was young, on his first journeys to see the world in reality. Feeling that rush of independence was like nothing else, and it had been the cause of him forgetting several key items and boy, did he worry his head off. But was life without it's complications? He was not exactly accomplishing anything, though, because Arthiel was standing behind him with her arms wrapped around his waist, not that he minded or anything.

"Arthiel, will you please let go of me?" He asked her, trying to sound annoyed. He turned his head and noticed that Rhyanna and Tulcendor were coming to the barn, probably to get their belongings. "Rhyanna and Tulcendor are coming...er...you better let go. I don't think the little one quite understands -" His stopped himself when the two of them were already in the barn, collecting their items and before then Arthiel had already let go of him.

"Arthiel, you have traveled these roads before. How soon will it be before we come to a town or village? Will we find one before the morning comes?" Rhyanna asked.

Blushing subtly Arthiel responded, "Well...Rhyanna. I do not travel alot and certainly not to these far lands until recently, and I've never had that adventurous spirit that my husband has..." she looked towards Mîrion, she knew he would be able to answer the girl's questions.

"There should be a village within a few leagues of this barn. We'll be able to make it there by morning, should no major incidents occur." He replied with a smile. Rhyanna was immensely caring and considerate of Tulcendor's condition.

"Tulcendor cannot travel in the sunlight...at least not yet. We must find somewhere to stay during the day tomorrow." As an afterthought, she sighed and whispered, almost to herself, "I do wish he could be out in the daylight though. There are so many pretty things to see then." Pointing at a group of pale, almost gray, flowers growing by the edge of the barn, she spoke. "See those flowers? They look so pale and ... nothing... in the nighttime, even with the moon so bright, but in the sunlight, they are a glorious yellow and orange. And he can't see them that way. His whole life is pale and gray. It's so sad, isn't it? I do hope you will be able to help him, even if it's only so he can see the world in sunshine." Looking up at Arthiel, she smiled though the tears that were welling in her eyes.

"Yes...," Arthiel replied slowly, "the sun certainly does illuminate and give beauty to the things of the Earth. Perhaps you've never heard of Arien, the vessel of the Sun. She is said to be of splendid, but terrible brightness and radiance. I'll do my best Rhyanna, to help Tulcendor. It will also take some work on his behalf, too. He will have to become accustomed to light of the sun, but that phase should pass eventually."

Rhyanna and Tulcendor finished their packing and raced back to the horses. Mîrion and Arthiel lingered for a moment and then joined everyone outside. Everyone was ready to make journey and with that Arthiel and Mîrion mounted their horses and fell into the pace of the group.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 11:16
And so they were off. Aeldrid and Telerea rode close to Tulcendor and Rhyanna, Aeldrid's sharp blue eyes on his sister. He was intent on making sure both of them were safe; but it was rather difficult. Telerea's presence so close behind him was incrediably distracting and Aeldrid blessed the night's darkness so that his blush did not show too much.

He had heard Lord Mirion mention a village ahead soon and the young man looked forward to it. He could send a message to his family and then he and Rhyanna could have a private discussion about her "adventure".

He understood all to well her heart and he spent most of the first hour of riding rehearsing what he would say so as not to crush it.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 02:03
Telerea was caught up in her own thoughts again. Sitting behind Aeldrid, she was keenly aware of the young man's muscular body, his breathing and the feeling of his clothes against the bare skin of his arms, the powerful strides of the war horse beneath her. This horse felt different form her own sweet mare, who was a lot gentler.

Never in all her life had she felt so silly. She felt like laughing all day long, like running wild (figuratively only of course) and she struggled hard to keep her dignity and remember her teachings.

In the brief time she had known Rhyanna, Aeldrid and Tulcendor all three had become strangely familiar to her and she liked them all very much.
Beside her she could hear Rhyanna chatting in a soft voice with Tulcendor and Tulcendor's deep voice answering form time to time. Gentle and loving. Telerea smiled to herself. She knew Tulcendor was already in love with Rhyanna - surely he would wait for her and... Oh you are just hopelessly romantic Telerea scolded herself.

And for some reason she was a little shy, too. Afraid she could or would say something wrong to Aeldrid, she dared not say anything at all. So they rode along in silence, always the conversations of the others around them.

(sorry for the short post - best I could do right now....)
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 05:30
When Tulcendor lifted Rhyanna onto the calm elven steed, and then climbed on behind her, she felt a twinge of excitement. This was really becoming an adventure. The smile on her face was radiant when she turned to glance up at Tulcendor, sitting stiffly behind her yet smiling back at her. She looked across at Aeldrid, who had the slender elf behind him, both seemingly discomforted by the position in which each found themselves.

"Aeldrid! Telerea! This is fun, isn't it?" she said, trying to cheer up both of them. Spying Arthiel and Mîrion riding along behind them, she twisted to look around Tulcendor's body, calling to them, too. "Is it only a few leagues, Mîrion? How sad. I would like to ride along like this forever," she said, with both her arms spread out to her side as though she were flying. Tulcendor held her tiny waist in one hand while he guided the reins with the other. They continued riding through the moonlit night, covering the leagues to the next town ahead. As they rode, Rhyanna, as usual, was full of questions.

"Tulcendor, you said you had a horse when you were young too. What was your horse's name? Did you get to ride him every day? What fun that would be. Other than the wagon horses, and Aeldrid's of course, I've never ridden a lovely horse like this one. Was yours like Berethior? Was he as well behaved? Was he a he-horse or a she-horse? " The innocence of her child's voice blended in with the night sounds of crickets and frogs and the breezes through the leaves of the trees. The others rode along silently for the most part, though now and then the elven couple spoke softly to one another. However, Aeldrid and Telerea said nothing.

"Aeldrid, your horse seems not to be disturbed by the addition of Telerea to his back. You'd think he had always carried both of you. Are you comfortable, Telerea? Does it seem odd being on another's horse? I suppose you could ride with Tulcendor ..if you..wanted to," her voice trailed off. She knew she could not deny the elf maiden to ride on her own horse if she wanted to but Rhyanna crossed her fingers that she would not.

"Tulcendor, when we reach the inn, I was thinking...maybe you should wait outside with the horses. People...they...the townspeople, well...they might be...." She sighed and was sad. How could she explain to him that people might be afraid of him and she could not bear to see him hurt anymore than he already did. She knew that he seemed happier now that he had met his own kind and they had accepted him with all his flaws, but she knew others would not.

She remembered the odd man in the village, the one with crossed eyes, huge growths on his face and the hump on his back. So often she had seen the young villagers calling him names and throwing stones at him. Yet when she had run into him near her Papa's wagon, although a little afraid, she had wished him a good day, offering him a piece of candy from the bag her Papa had bought for her. He had merely stood there staring at her in shock until a warped smile curled one side of his distorted face and a tear ran down his cheek. He had nodded to her then searched his pockets until he had found a small polished stone. He held it in his hand, staring down at it. Reaching out, he took her hand and placed the stone in it, closing her fingers over it. Smiling crookedly again, he ran off. She still had the stone; it sat on a special plate on her dresser at home.

Her thoughts had carried them another league before she came out of them. With another sigh, she glanced across at Telerea. "Where were you born, Telerea? Have you always not been able to see?" She bit her tongue and quickly asked another question. "Did you know Tulcendor's father well? What was he like? I imagine Tulcendor would enjoy hearing about him, wouldn't you,"she asked him, twisting once more in the saddle to see his response. Calling out, she asked Arthiel and Mîrion, "Have you ever met Tulcendor's father and mother? I know I'd like to know what they were like. They must have been very special people to have had a son like Tulcendor," she said proudly.

Not but another league passed when one of the elves, whose eyesight was greater than hers, said something about seeing the lights of the town ahead. They rode along steadily until Rhyanna's eyes also saw the glimmering of lights through the trees. They had made good time as the eastern horizon was only a touch lighter than the rest of the night sky.

"Look, everyone, we are almost there. Now we can sleep in real beds and buy fresh food. That's a good thing, too, as I am hungry...again." She smiled happily at the group and tried to nudge her heels on Berethior's side to speed the horse along but her legs were too short to reach. "Tulcendor, Aeldrid, hurry, hurry."
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 07:16
Almost, Tulcendor felt he was in a dream, as league after league passed by. - A dream, that only days ago, Gwathur would have only let whisper in heart-depths as deep as darkest levels of the caverns he'd lived in for so very long.

It had taken a while, but slowly, the orc-elf began to relax into the 'feel' of riding once again. - And, to make things better, was Rhyanna's obvious delight.

The smile on her face was radiant when she turned to glance up at Tulcendor, sitting stiffly behind her yet smiling back at her. She looked across at Aeldrid, who had the slender elf behind him, both seemingly discomforted by the position in which each found themselves.

"Aeldrid! Telerea! This is fun, isn't it?" she said, trying to cheer up both of them. Spying Arthiel and Mîrion riding along behind them, she twisted to look around Tulcendor's body, calling to them, too. "Is it only a few leagues, Mîrion? How sad. I would like to ride along like this forever," she said, with both her arms spread out to her side as though she were flying.

"Careful!" Tulcendor almost-laughed, and made sure his grip was firm. He'd not lelt her fall, but neither did he want Aeldrid to think his sister's companion wasn't being 'responsible' with his charge.

"Tulcendor, you said you had a horse when you were young too. What was your horse's name? Did you get to ride him every day? What fun that would be. Other than the wagon horses, and Aeldrid's of course, I've never ridden a lovely horse like this one. Was yours like Berethior? Was he as well behaved? Was he a he-horse or a she-horse? "

Sobering a bit, since his old mount's name was still escaping him, Tulcendor attempted to answer. "I did, Rhyanna... he was a 'he-horse'," and the orc-elf's low voice showed a 'hint' of amusement. "He was... not like Berioreth. Not nearly as gentle. I can't remember his name, though..." and Tulcendor trailed off just a bit sadly.

To his relief, though, Rhyanna either didn't notice... or perhaps, it was just that questions just seemed to bubble out of his little friend like a warm spring he vaguely remembered playing in. Once, in that long-ago lifetime he so wanted to live again.

For a time, Tulcendor just let Rhyanna's voice flow, listening to her questioning the others, and the answers they gave, and half-wishing he could think of something to talk about for himself. But... 'conversation' was hard enough for him... even those times Rhyanna fell silent. But, barely would he be mustering the courage to try, when his friend would come out with another set of questions.

- And, not for anything, would Tulcendor interfere. Not with Rhyanna... but so many of her inquiries were things he'd like to know, too.

"Tulcendor, when we reach the inn, I was thinking...maybe you should wait outside with the horses. People...they...the townspeople, well...they might be...." She sighed and was sad.

Wincing, it was again 'Gwathur' who remained silent. Better than Rhyanna did he know how 'people' reacted to him... and he had no wish to have his young friend see it. The hate... the fear... the... and he fought not to shudder at the memory of what he'd experienced already.

"Did you know Tulcendor's father well? What was he like? I imagine Tulcendor would enjoy hearing about him, wouldn't you,"she asked him, twisting once more in the saddle to see his response. Calling out, she asked Arthiel and Mîrion, "Have you ever met Tulcendor's father and mother? I know I'd like to know what they were like. They must have been very special people to have had a son like Tulcendor," she said proudly.

At that, Tulcendor kept his eyes firmly on the road and held his breath. Would their companions know his parents? How would they answer? 'Special'? Were they? They'd loved him... and he had loved them, that much the orc-elf remembered. Certainly, he had missed them with an ache worse than the loss of his freedom... and almost as deep as the tortures he'd endured.

And, he knew also, as much as he'd miss Rhyanna when they reached Imladris, and Aeldrid would take his sister home...

"Look, everyone, we are almost there. Now we can sleep in real beds and buy fresh food. That's a good thing, too, as I am hungry...again." She smiled happily at the group and tried to nudge her heels on Berethior's side to speed the horse along but her legs were too short to reach. "Tulcendor, Aeldrid, hurry, hurry."

As eager as Rhyanna was to arrive, Tulcendor found himself slowing Berioreth's pace, until, upon reaching the outskirts, he halted Telerea's mare. Without (at first) meeting his friend's eyes, he spoke... and partially addressed Rhyanna's comment from earlier.

"Aeldrid... Telerea... perhaps it would be best if one of you rides with Rhyanna the rest of the way. I can't go in... I shouldn't. While it's still dark, I'll circle the town, and meet you on the other side at nightfall." Sending a glance full of pleading and inner pain at the elves following, Tulcendor hoped Arthiel and her husband would back up his suggestion.

Sadly, he at last looked at his little friend again. "It is best, Rhyanna," Tulcendor said softly. "Will you bring me some food? - I'll eat when we move on then, and you can tell me all about what the Tavern is like..."
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2005 11:52
"Where were you born, Telerea? Have you always not been able to see?" She bit her tongue and quickly asked another question. "Did you know Tulcendor's father well? What was he like? I imagine Tulcendor would enjoy hearing about him, wouldn't you,"she asked him, twisting once more in the saddle to see his response. Calling out, she asked Arthiel and Mîrion, "Have you ever met Tulcendor's father and mother? I know I'd like to know what they were like. They must have been very special people to have had a son like Tulcendor," she said proudly.

Smiling Telerea considered how to satisfy Rhyanna’s curiosity. “This won’t be a short tale Rhyanna – she started. But if you care to hear it, I don’t mind telling it.

I was born close to the sea, near the Grey havens. My family is very distantly related to Cirdan, the great shipwright, who helps all the elves who want to leave Middle earth and takes them back to Valinor, from where we came a long long time ago. I was born to a loving family – quite like yours Rhyanna.. My father, Nowë and my mother, Brandariel and my two brothers Daintaro and Telperimpar*. I am also the youngest in my family and on top of that, I am the only girl. My two brothers are a lot older than I am and my parents did not hope for another child anymore when I came. Yes, Rhyanna – I was born blind – no one has ever found out why, since this is not common among elves. But since I don’t know what it is like to see your way – I don’t miss it.

My parents were very caring and wanted to provide me with the best education possible – at first my father taught me to get around and know my limits, but I always wanted to go beyond any set limits and when I was ten my father said he had nothing more to teach me and sent me to Tulcendor’s father to be taught. I remember him as being very quiet and thoughtful. He could listen to a tree or a bird for hours on end and the most important lesson I learned from him was to listen. But he also was a good swordsman and fighter – he was the one who insisted I learn to use my staff as a weapon and learn how to use swords and daggers. It was him who showed me that I did not see an opponent, but that I had only to hear him and thus could anticipate and block his moves. He was very kind to me, almost like a father – but there was always a great sorrow in him and he did not let anyone come to close to him. Even to me he always kept his distance, as if he did not dare to love anyone anymore…

I hardly remember your mother Tulcendor – I just remember that she was something special. Extraordinarily beautiful, and always with a bright aura around her – or so people told me. I remember rumors about her. Some people said she was a Maia, others said she was one of the Vanyar, directly come form Valinor still others claimed to know that she was the only one who had sailed to Valinor and before stepping onto the land turned around and sailed back. I could not tell you the truth.”

Here Telerea stopped, her thoughts wondered back to Imladris and form their still father away towards the sea. It had been long since she had been close to the ocean. She missed it. The sound of the waves, the cries of the gulls, the wind in her hair and the smell of fish, salt and sand. The sun on her face and the sand beneath her feat…. She sighed and then remembered where she was.

Then she noticed Tulcendor slowing Berioreth's pace, until, upon reaching the outskirts of the town, he halted the mare. Telerea just wanted to ask whether something was wrong, when Tulcendor started to speak: "Aeldrid... Telerea... perhaps it would be best if one of you rides with Rhyanna the rest of the way. I can't go in... I shouldn't. While it's still dark, I'll circle the town, and meet you on the other side at nightfall. It is best, Rhyanna," Tulcendor said softly. "Will you bring me some food? - I'll eat when we move on then, and you can tell me all about what the Tavern is like..."

Telerea could hear the pain in his voice, but she knew that his suggestion would be the best thing... and then she had an idea. “Why don’t we switch Rhyanna – I don’t care much for towns anyway and I could keep Tulcendor company. I could meet you in a few hours and take some food to him and then we’d meet you all after nightfall. “ she suggested, hoping this would make Rhyanna agree to go into town with the others without too much protest.

* [ooc: I tried my best at Telerin names here – forgive me if they are a little uninventive, but there are not many vocabulary resources and it was hard to even get those names….]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 04:27
Mîrion's attention wavered to his surroundings. Quiet. Serene. He could hear the soothing calm wind, the nocturnal orchestra of the crickets, this is why he loved to traverse the wilderness. To be absorbed into the nature and beauty of things... without disturbance. He glanced at Arthiel for a moment, and then focused his thoughts back the night.

"Is it only a few leagues, Mîrion? How sad. I would like to ride along like this forever," Rhyanna asked. Mîrion turned towards the girl and chuckled.

"Yes, 'tis only a few leagues, little Rhyanna. Though it seems like forever, at times. You'll yet have the opportunity to ride again." Traveling on horse was faster, indeed, but it did have its drawbacks. It was pain sometimes, literally.

They settled into silence for awhile, but Rhyanna, being the little chatterbox that she was, still had some more questions.

"Have you ever met Tulcendor's father and mother? I know I'd like to know what they were like. They must have been very special people to have had a son like Tulcendor," Mîrion knew Tulcendor's father and mother personally. He couldn't say that he was exceptionally close to him or knew them well; Mîrion tended to associate with Lord Elrond's advisor's (being one himself) and those that he practiced his swordsmanship with, and those elves usually were those who shared with him the same battle titles or ranks.

Arthiel knew them only as acquaintances. Her duties as a healer, wife and mother were very demanding, which did not leave her a great deal of time for socializing. And what time she did have, she usually spent conversing with Arwen or Glorfindel.

He hated to disappoint the girl with his lacking response, but he didn't have to when Telerea spoke up and offered to tell them her story.

The group had began to approach the edges of the village, dimly lit by the light of the villagers. Tulcendor brought Telerea's horse to a stop and spoke, "Aeldrid... Telerea... perhaps it would be best if one of you rides with Rhyanna the rest of the way. I can't go in... I shouldn't. While it's still dark, I'll circle the town, and meet you on the other side at nightfall."

Sadly, he at last looked at his little friend again. "It is best, Rhyanna," Tulcendor said softly. "Will you bring me some food? - I'll eat when we move on then, and you can tell me all about what the Tavern is like..."

Arthiel and Mîrion knew that he was right, the villagers would not be too welcoming of Tulcendor. And those pained expression that Tulcendor made Arthiel's heart jump. He wanted them to back up his suggestion. Arthiel herself was at a loss for words, and Mîrion's mind was conjuring up the appropriate phrase for the situation.

“Why don’t we switch Rhyanna – I don’t care much for towns anyway and I could keep Tulcendor company. I could meet you in a few hours and take some food to him and then we’d meet you all after nightfall." Telerea offered her helpful suggestion. Mîrion hoped that nothing should happen to them while they were alone, while he was sure Telerea could defend herself...it might not prove to be enough. Even with the defeat of Sauron still there dwelled evil shadows in the many corners of the land.

"Er...I would also go with Tulcendor and Telerea, if you don't mind. The night is quite beautiful and peaceful, I should like to take more time to enjoy it." Mîrion gave Arthiel a gentle look, telling her that she should go into the village with Rhyanna and her brother. Though he didn't vioce his real reason for going, he suspected that the others knew why he'd suggested to go with Tulcendor, except Rhyanna perhaps, but he didn't want the young one to worry.

Of course he was worried for Arthiel, a little. He hoped that no one would be foolish enough to stir trouble up for them...especially in a tavern full of people...but intoxicated people were hard to predict. But he knew that Aeldrid would protect his sister if she were in danger and that thought put his worry to ease for the time being.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2005 09:15
The journey that night went easily, much to Aeldrid's relief. He was so distracted with Telerea on his back, that he wasn't sure he could keep a sufficient watch.

Rhyanna was full of chatter as usual and Aeldrid often smiled to himself as she talked a mile a minute; hardly giving anyone time to break in and speak.

Dawn was just breaking as the town came into view. Tulcendor stopped his mount and suggested outskirting the village until the group was ready to meet again. It was a good idea, considering that most villagers would be curious about strangers; if not downright suspicious.

Lord Mirion offered to go with him and to Aeldrid's mysterious dissapointment, so did Telerea. He nodded his agreement.

"Then we will head to the village." Aeldrid stated, as he took Rhyanna from Tulcendor and put her in front of him.

By the time, he, Rhyanna and Lady Arthiel made it passed the village gates and located an inn, life was stirring. The innkeeper, a pretty woman about middle aged greeted them in a friendly way and procurred them rooms. Aeldrid payed her adn then asked where they could procure food for travel.

"The market opens in a little less than two hours." she answered, with a little more than friendly smile for him. "I have some dried meats and some travel bread can be prepared in my kitchen for a price."

Aeldrid nodded. "Thank you; we will consider it."

As they went up the stairs, Aeldrid softly spoke to the elven woman. "Lady Arthiel, do you think it wise to procure more provisions? I do not know how much more of this elven waybread we have altogether and despite it's wonderful effect, the journey is long."

After she had given her answer, he left her to go to her own room and he entered another with Rhyanna still in tow. He shed his chain tunic and shoes before looking at his sister. "Rhyanna, come here love."

She did so and looked up at him with big brown eyes. Aeldrid sighed, trying to figure out what he was going to say.

"What you did was exreemly and incredibly foolish." he started. "I understand that Tulcendor was probably skittish about the idea of meeting other people at the time, but to simply leave in the middle of the night..." Aeldrid's voice trailed off. "You left a note, I know. It was torn up somehow and that's why we thought you had been taken. I was worried sick; our family has no idea that you are not safe still. If it had not been for Tulcendor's pitiable situation, I would have taken you home. If I had pulled such a stunt, Father would have tanned my hide."

Aware that his voice had become stern, he softened it and his face. "I know why you left; it was an admirable reason. But Rhyanna, from now on, you will do as I say, understand? If you do not, I will leave Tulcendor in the hands of his own kind and we will go straight back home."

He pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly. More tightly than he had intended. The thought that he could have found her dead or mutilated had not fully gripped him until now. If he had found her that way, he would have been utterly crushed.

Rhyanna had been born long after he was almost grown. In a way, he had been as much as a parent to her as Mother or Father. He had scolded her, prodded her and very often spoiled her.

"If anything, anything ever happened to you..." he said, a little shakily. "I would never forgive myself. Do you understand, Rhyanna?"

He hadn't meant to get that emotional either. So much for rehersal, Aeldrid inwardly sighed.

(OOC: I hope no one minds me skipping to the village.)
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 05:20
Mîrion didn't wish to hold the group up, but he had to at least kiss his wife good-bye, even if he would see her again in a few hours. He gazed at Tulcendor and Telerea, "I would not keep you waiting, for I wish to say good-bye to my wife, so please go on ahead without me." His dark, mysterious eyes held Arthiel's and she blushed ever so slightly, knowing what he would do next...

He dismounted the horse, as did she, and he paced over to her and pulled Arthiel tenderly into his arms. He would've, but she kissed him first, slowly and gently and she pulled away. "Be careful...please. I know I say this to you everytime you go off on some dangerous, crazy excursion but you are so reckless and spontaneous at times..." she whispered gently, but not to scold him or insult him.

"Nothing will happen, dearest." Mîrion replied softly, pushing down those horrid memories of his terrible, and almost fatal wounds that had left him bleeding much, and weak. What pride did a man have after an incident like that? He'd trained immensely hard after that...to recover what he had lost. He kissed her lips once again and then mounted his horse before riding off the catch up with Tulcendor and Telerea.

It wasn't before long when he caught up with the two, and his horse fell into stride beside Telerea's gentle mare. "Lady Telerea, you say that you are from the Last Homely House and I have not had to pleasure of your acquaintance before..."

~~~~~

Arthiel was quiet for rest of the travel to the village. As they approached it's heart, the ruckus of the people could be heard and the flames of the light burning brightly. They had soon located an inn, and chose to settle there for the time to pass. Aeldrid inquired as to where they could obtain food for the rest of their journey.

The innkeeper replied flirtatiously, "The market opens in a little less than two hours. I have some dried meats and some travel bread can be prepared in my kitchen for a price." Aeldrid nodded gently at the innkeeper and merely told her that they would consider it.

When they had reached the stairs, Aeldrid addressed her, "Lady Arthiel, do you think it wise to procure more provisions? I do not know how much more of this elven waybread we have altogether and despite it's wonderful effect, the journey is long."

"I suppose it would be wise, our supplies will not last us for long. My husband and I both have provisions that we would gladly share, but I do not know how far along the next village is so I would suggest buying an ample amount for the journey." With her answer she smiled, and headed off to her own room.

Her room was quite small, but cozy. Arthiel lay down on her bed and looked out the window and sighed. She really did not feel like sleeping at the moment. Reaching behind her head, she pulled loose the ribbon that held her fastened at the nape of her neck, and her rich, gleaming golden hair came tumbling down from her elaborate hairstyle.

Arthiel headed down the stairs down to the tavern's room largest room, where all the food and beer was served. She did not have any desire for food or drinks, so she took a seat at one of the empty tables in the corner of the room. Her eyes took in her surroundings for a small moment and were then brought down to her hands in her lap. She was very aware at all the eyes staring at her, most of them men with ... rather dirty and ... sleazy appearances, with the look of lust in their eyes. Had they not seen an elven woman before? By Elven standards, she was not to be considered of great beauty.

[Edited on 25/10/2005 by Lady~Eowyn]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 05:39
Where were you born, Telerea?" was only the first of many questions Rhyanna asked as they traveled along the road. Telerea's response was simple...."This won’t be a short tale Rhyanna – she started. But if you care to hear it, I don’t mind telling it." A good part of the trip was filled with Telerea's tale of her family and of Tulcendor's parents, who Telerea had known. Rhyanna felt Tulcendor relax and occasionally a sigh of happiness escaped his lips. Mîrion and Arthiel shared their knowledge of Tulcendor's past, or at least that which they knew.

Eventually one of the elves mentioned the lights of a village ahead. Her short legs pumping were no match for Tulcendor's slowing Berethior to a halt. The rest of the group slowed with them until all had stopped.

"Tulcendor! Why are you stopping? We are almost there." Rhyanna twisted in front of him, staring up at him. He would not meet her eyes as he said, "Aeldrid... Telerea... perhaps it would be best if one of you rides with Rhyanna the rest of the way. I can't go in... I shouldn't. While it's still dark, I'll circle the town, and meet you on the other side at nightfall."

"No, Tulcendor, no," Rhyanna cried out. "Look at me! Look at me. Don't look away. Please, Tulcendor, it will be alright, you'll see."

Sadly, he at last looked at his little friend again. "It is best, Rhyanna," Tulcendor said softly. "Will you bring me some food? - I'll eat when we move on then, and you can tell me all about what the Tavern is like...

Before she could object any further, Telerea spoke to the group. “Why don’t we switch Rhyanna – I don’t care much for towns anyway and I could keep Tulcendor company. I could meet you in a few hours and take some food to him and then we’d meet you all after nightfall. “

Mîrion spoke next, again not giving Rhyanna a chance to argue. "Er...I would also go with Tulcendor and Telerea, if you don't mind. The night is quite beautiful and peaceful, I should like to take more time to enjoy it." Mîrion gave Arthiel a gentle look, telling her that she should go into the village with Rhyanna and her brother.

Telerea slid off the back of Aeldrid's horse and Tulcendor lifted Rhyanna to her brother's arms, where he placed her in front of him on the saddle. Tulcendor gave Telerea a hand and she climbed on behind him on Berethior. Tulcendor, Telerea and Mîrion trotted off on a pathway that circumvented the village while Aeldrid, Rhyanna and Arthiel entered the village and continued on until they found an inn, just beginning to open for the day. When Aeldrid had procured the rooms, they went up the stairs together. Aeldrid was talking to Arthiel about food and then watching as she safely made it to her own room. Then he and Rhyanna entered another room where Aeldrid said, "Rhyanna, come here love." Since they had separated from Tulcendor, Rhyanna had not send another word and now, when Aeldrid asked for her, she went to him reluctantly. She was very unhappy and worried about Tulcendor. She didn't understand why they couldn't have found a way for him to come with them. Then Aeldrid began to speak to her.

"What you did was exreemly and incredibly foolish." he started. "I understand that Tulcendor was probably skittish about the idea of meeting other people at the time, but to simply leave in the middle of the night..." Aeldrid's voice trailed off. "You left a note, I know. It was torn up somehow and that's why we thought you had been taken. I was worried sick; our family has no idea that you are not safe still. If it had not been for Tulcendor's pitiable situation, I would have taken you home. If I had pulled such a stunt, Father would have tanned my hide."

Aware that his voice had become stern, he softened it and his face. "I know why you left; it was an admirable reason. But Rhyanna, from now on, you will do as I say, understand? If you do not, I will leave Tulcendor in the hands of his own kind and we will go straight back home."

Her head lifted and her brown eyes opened wide. Take her home and leave Tulcendor to travel on alone, with only the other elves? Her brother wouldn't be that cruel, would he? But looking at the determination in his eyes, she knew he would do just that. She loved her brother and she knew he was just worried about her, as he had always been worried about her since she was a baby. When he hugged her, so tightly she couldn't breathe, she knew she was right.

"If anything, anything ever happened to you..." he said, a little shakily. "I would never forgive myself. Do you understand, Rhyanna?"

She wriggled out of his arms and stood in front of him, her head high and her stubborn jaw sticking out. Her arms crossed across her chest and she looked at him with the same determination he had shown. "Aeldrid, I am sorry the note got torn up," in her mind's eye she could see Papa's dog being responsible, "but Tulcendor needed help. And he is now my friend so I will help him. I will listen to you if you do not ask me to go against my friend. He is as much family to me as you are and I will not leave him alone again. Do you hear me, big brother? He is as much a brother to me as you are. I would no more abandon him then I would abandon you. Do not ask me to.

Little did she realize that small as her frame still was, young as her face still looked, for that one moment Aeldrid was seeing the vision that Tulcendor had seen...that of a beautiful, determined, strong, loyal, faithful young woman.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 06:38
Tulcendor was silent, but relieved when the others agreed with him, though he was touched deeply by Rhyanna's protest. The exchange didn't take long, and the orc-elf tried to smile at Rhyanna as he handed his little friend into her brother's care.

Feeling a bit... 'bereft' to not have Rhyanna nearby (even though it had been his own suggestion to 'split' their group for the day), it was with some nervousness that Tulcendor stretched down a hand to help Telerea up behind him. - After all... Berioreth was her horse, and not his. - And, while Mîrion spoke with his wife for a few minutes, the two headed off to circumvent the town.

With the sun beginning to rise, Tulcendor hoped they could find a decent shelter before it got too light, but, even as he was searching, he once again gathered his courage. "I... thank you for your answer to Rhyanna, Telerea... about my parents. I've forgotten so much. Even their faces are not clear in my memory..." he said shyly, but at the sound of Mîrion's horse trotting up, Tulcendor closed his mouth on the rest of his sentence.

It wasn't before long when he caught up with the two, and his horse fell into stride beside Telerea's gentle mare. "Lady Telerea, you say that you are from the Last Homely House and I have not had to pleasure of your acquaintance before..."

Hating to interrupt the elf, "There," Tulcendor quietly spoke again, and pointed to a small shack that was near the opposite-side gates that Arthiel, Aeldrid, and Rhyanna had gone through. Once they'd reached it, and again, hesitantly, Tulcendor helped Telerea tend to her mare.

By the time they had, though, the dawn was bright enough that the orc-elf was squinting from even the soft glare of the early morning. - And, whilst the shack was fairly 'clean', it wasn't quite as dark as Tulcendor would have liked, for as it always was when he was 'out' too long, a headache had begun to develop.

Settling into the darkest corner he could find, Tulcendor closed his eyes, hating the 'burning' sensation that was in them, and wishing for a hooded cloak with which to help screen his face. The quiet voices of the two elves talking, he let wash over him as he tried to rest. Perhaps, after they'd slept a little themselves, he could lthink of something to talk about to while-away the hours until he could once more see Rhyanna...
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 02:24
With the sun beginning to rise, Tulcendor started speaking, "I... thank you for your answer to Rhyanna, Telerea... about my parents. I've forgotten so much. Even their faces are not clear in my memory..." he said shyly, but at the sound of Mîrion's horse trotting up, Tulcendor closed his mouth on the rest of his sentence. At this moment Telerea wanted to give Miron a sign to stay away so she could talk to Tulcencor some more, but she reminded herself of her manners.

Before she could answer, Tulcendor interrupted the newly started conversation, "There," Tulcendor quietly spoke again, and pointed to a small shack that was near the opposite-side gates that Arthiel, Aeldrid, and Rhyanna had gone through. Once they'd reached it, Tulcendor helped Telerea tend to her mare.

By the time they had, though, the dawn was bright enough that the orc-elf was squinting from even the soft glare of the early morning.
Settling into the darkest corner he could find, Tulcendor closed his eyes. Telerea could sense his discomfort and after asking Miron about the brightness of the day she went to her horse and pulled a blanket from the saddlebags. Carefully she went over to Tulcendor, who seemed to be sleeping and put the blanket over him, careful also to cover his eyes. Then she went back to where Miron sat.

"Now we can talk," she said, sitting down. "Lord Miron, our paths probably have not crossed because, even though everyone I ever encountered loved me and protected me, I was not shown around or introduced to strangers. If you happened to visit the Last Homely House, you would not have seen me. Even in Imladris. Tulcendor's parents lived farther in the woods, where it is quiet and most do not come that far." Sensing Miron's reaction she went on. "I do not blame them - for how could they explain the way I was. I have heard many blame my mother or my father for my blindness - have heard it called a curse of the Valar for something my family did... Today I can laugh about such things - back then, I only felt ashamed and so consented to remain hidden from most people - until I discovered that it is better to confront than to hide... But that is a story that will surely bore you Lord Miron." she ended her tale here and they continued talking about other matters until it was time to leave meet the rest of their group.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 09:33
"Aeldrid! Aeldrid! Wake up!" Rhyanna was shaking her brother frantically. She had not been able to sleep, knowing Tulcendor was out in the wilderness looking for a place where he could shield his eyes from the rapidly growing sunlight. What if he couldn't find such a place? Telerea was blind, she would only know how bright it was getting by the heat on her face but she would not be able to find the cover Tulcendor needed. Would Mîrion understand how important it was to Tulcendor to find shelter? And while she was thinking of Mîrion, her ears picked up a sound that puzzled her for a moment. Then she recognized what it was...the sound of a door opening and closing.

Climbing out of bed, she tiptoed to the door of their room, opening it quietly and peeking out. She saw Arthiel at the head of the stairs and just beginning to descend. Where was she going, Rhyanna wondered? Glancing back toward her brother, she saw that he was sleeping soundly in his own bed, so she stepped from the room in her bare feet and closed the door just as quietly behind her. Finding herself in the shadows of the upper hallway over the public areas of the inn, she began to follow Arthiel. Maybe she was just hungry, Rhyanna thought. There were dining areas downstairs, weren't there? And this early in the morning, there would be food for the morning travelers, wouldn't there? At the head of the stairs, she looked over the edge of the railing, noting that Arthiel had turned into a doorway and entered the room beyond. Creeping down the stairs, Rhyanna snuck up to the doorway and peeked in. What she saw worried her.

Although the sun was rising, there were still the heavy drinkers from the night before. And they were all staring at the elven woman who was suddenly amongst their midst. Rhyanna had seen men like these before in the streets of the village near her home. Drunk, dirty, worthless men who had no respect for anyone, not even a woman. She remembered when she and Bronwyn had been confronted by men like those sitting here now and she had never been so frightened. They had reached out filthy hands with blackened nails, pawing and grasping at the two of them until her Papa and Aeldrid arrived, shooing them off. And now, Rhyanna could see the same light in the eyes of these men. Did Arthiel know what they were thinking, Rhy wondered? Maybe not but Rhy did. Turning, she ran lightfootedly up the stairs and back to her room. Thus she found herself now, trying to wake her brother, who she knew was tired and needed the sleep but.....

"Aeldrid, it's important! Wake up!"
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 04:33
Arthiel felt like a fool. What was she thinking, coming down here instead of staying in her room? If Mîrion was with her, he would've insisted on attending her, but he wasn't here. He was much more worldly than her, having traveled and been in battle all these years, while she mainly stayed within the borders of Imladris whenever he was gone. Arthiel hated to think what Mîrion would do if some ... pathetic man thought he could attempt a move at her.

She could feel her heart thundering her chest, but she refused to let her cheeks flush, as she felt like doing. Arthiel kept her eyes focused on the golden band wrapped around her finger. She glanced up for a quick second, and found that one of the them was walking over to her. She heard him grumble loudly, huskily, before falling to the floor. Too much to drink, she thought. These men were disgusting, wallowing in their own self-pity.

If she decided to go back to her room, would they follow her? Perhaps it would be best if she went outside and purchased provisions for their journey ahead...surely the markets would be open by now? And hopefully there would be people already up and about.

Arthiel knew that leaving her room was a mistake, and that she could not be in the presence of this room, nor these men, any longer. She quickly got up and scurried out of the room, her pace remained calm and she gently pushed the door of the inn open to step outside. The cool, crisp air of dawn caressed her face, and Arthiel held her arms tight around her. Not because of the cold, because she felt herself trembling with worry. It was dawn now, and the sun had begun to ascend into the pale, morning sky. The villagers were already up and about, tending to their duties. She scanned the rubble of the road, wondering which way the market could be found and hoping that not one of those men would follow her...

~~~~~

Mîrion had sensed that Tulcendor and Telerea had been conversing about something personal perhaps, and that his timing was very off. It was too late now to arrive later. He was waiting for the elf maiden's reply, but would be postponed when Tulcendor interrupted, "There," he quietly spoke again, and pointed to a small shack that was near the opposite-side gates that Arthiel, Aeldrid, and Rhyanna had gone through.

It was not too bright, yet. But from the looks of it, and the semi-cloudless sky, it would be a warm and brilliant day. He supposed he would serve a more useful purpose than the 'defender', he would have to make full use of his keen elven senses.

Even the gentle glare of the sun's light seemed to pain Tulcendor and he chose to seat himself in the darkest corner of the shack. He was going to fetch a blanket for the orc-elf, but Telerea got to the task before he did.

Mîrion sat himself down, with his back leaning against the wall, and rested his eyes for a sole minute.

"Now we can talk," Telerea said, sitting down. "Lord Miron, our paths probably have not crossed because, even though everyone I ever encountered loved me and protected me, I was not shown around or introduced to strangers. If you happened to visit the Last Homely House, you would not have seen me. Even in Imladris. Tulcendor's parents lived farther in the woods, where it is quiet and most do not come that far." At this Mîrion tensed, perhaps he had pryed too far. But she went on, "I do not blame them - for how could they explain the way I was. I have heard many blame my mother or my father for my blindness - have heard it called a curse of the Valar for something my family did... Today I can laugh about such things - back then, I only felt ashamed and so consented to remain hidden from most people - until I discovered that it is better to confront than to hide... But that is a story that will surely bore you Lord Miron."

"Perhaps you'd like to tell me that tale one day, my lady" he said, "I assure that I have heard my share of 'boring' tales as you could call them." He smiled to himself. He remembered that often on his journeys he would met and speak with young men at the village in. Often they were drunk with loose tongues. One could imagine the stories you would have heard of. But entertaining they were.

"You are lucky, to have such loving and caring parents and mentors." Mîrion sighed, "I have no parents, that I know, at the very least. I was raised in Imladris by the Lord Glorfindel ... and I have never met my real parents. Don't get me wrong, Glorfindel and Lord Elrond were excellent mentors, the best, but there are some sort of things that only your biological parents can fill... and some days I wonder who they are, where they are, and what kind of people they are. My children...well that be a tale best saved for another time; all I have left on these lands is my wife." And I would die before I let anything happen to her, he thought solemnly. After that they continued talking about other matters until it was time to leave meet the rest of their group.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 05:11
The quiet conversation between his companions lulled Tulcendor... and he thought on Telerea's comments about his parents. 'Maia', she'd said of his mother... or perhaps so. He tried to remember just what that 'meant'. Orcs had no liking of them - that much he knew... and feared their power. Elves they despised - knowing that once their kind had been such... but the Maia? And, if he was half- or part-Maia... why had his captors not feared him?

Without him realizing it, Tulcendor dropped off into sleep as he pondered. Missing his little friend, dreams of cheerful chatter and mischievous dark-brown eyes began to fill his mind. - Yet, the blonde-headed child with awkwardly-woven elven-braids was 'replaced' again by the golden-haired beauty Rhyanna would become.

Smiling beneath his borrowed shade, Tulcendor 'saw' his friend was happy... or, at least... and in his slumber, the orc-elf frowned.

Child-Rhyanna was 'back'... and 'upset'... and frightened! - Yet, not for herself, really, but for who? Someone... not 'here' within the shack, of that Tulcendor was certain. Aeldrid? - No... her brother could well defend himself, if need be. - So, it must be the elleth! And, almost, he could 'feel' Rhyanna's worries increase when she couldn't...

Gasping, and wincing against the dim light of the shack, Tulcendor sat up. Staring at Mîrion and Telerea, "Rhyanna?" he exclaimed, and then, "Hîr Mîrion... Rhyanna is frightened for Arthiel! - I - I don't know 'why', or 'how' I know it - but I do!"

Scrambling to his feet, Tulcendor raced for the door, and then outside. The full light of day struck his eyes with a painful burst, but the orc-elf didn't care. He'd search the entire town until he found his little friend - and the elleth if needed. - If Arthiel was in danger - so was Rhyanna... and where was Aeldrid?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 06:19
Rhyanna shook her brother's shoulder one more time before giving up. She knew he had been days without sleep and was probably exhausted but she had to see if Arthiel was still alright. "Aeldrid," she cried, "I'm going downstairs. Arthiel may be in trouble." She didn't know whether her words had registered through his deep sleep or not but she couldn't wait any longer. Running lightly across the floor, she rummaged through Aeldrid's outer clothes and finally found what she was looking for....a small dagger. Sticking it in her belt, she opened the door once again and ran for the stairs. Maybe Arthiel would know how to use it if it was needed. As she reached the top of the stairs, she saw the door to the outside slowly closing behind Arthiel, who had apparently left the eating room to go....where? Where was she going, Rhy wondered?

Rhyanna started down the stairs but stopped in the shadows to watch three of the burly thugs leaving the eating room, joking among each other about what they could do with the woman who had just left. They opened the door, following Arthiel outside into the early morning streets. As soon as they had stepped outside, Rhyanna quickly ran down the stairs and swung the door open, stepping outside behind Arthiel and the men. Looking both ways up and down the street, she caught sight of Arthiel half a block away, the three men following close behind. She began to run to catch up, the gravelled road cutting into her bare feet.

She was almost in tears, her eyes searching the streets for anyone who could help. Where was Tulcendor, she cried to herself, knowing he would not even know about her need, being as he was sleeping somewhere outside the village. The three men were closer and closer to Arthiel's back and she wanted to scream to the elf maiden to warn her (not knowing that the elf maiden had probably already sensed their presence), except she was afraid they would turn on her.

She ran faster, reaching a point where she could only trail behind if she was to remain unnoticed by them. She could hear the men's gravelly voices, their remarks becoming nastier, daring each other to be the first to grab the 'woman' as they thought she was. What was she going to do?

"Tulcendor, help me, help us," she whispered.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 01:32
Hoping didn't ever seem to bring about success, your wishes, so what was she do now? The men had followed her ... even in the light of day. Arthiel could not tell how many of those men had followed her, but she knew that more than one had. She felt shadows looming over her back, and inwardly she shuddered with disgust and fear. She had heard their nasty comments, and she knew that they were very close behind her.

Arthiel felt a thick, sweaty hand grab onto her wrist tightly and yank her body around. She facing one of the men. His breath smelled of liquor, his hair tousled wildly and his eyes dark, and hard with unpleasant thoughts. Arthiel would have slapped the man, except that he held so tightly against his chest, plus the fact that she outnumbered by burly men, all of them quite massive and more so than her husband. Healers never resorted to violence, unless it was a matter of life and death...and if she couldn't think of anything to save herself... Would Mîrion know that she was in need of help? And what would he do once he found out? She was afraid to even think...that he might even slay these men.

Out of the corner of her eye, Arthiel spotted Rhyanna, watching the situation with fear. The last thing she wanted was for the child to become involved, and telling Rhyanna to make escape while she could would only draw attention to the girl. Who would know what these men would do, even to a young child?

Arthiel's eyes were so clear, so transparent, it was easy to read her fear. And the man bent his head low, trying to kiss her, but she quickly turned her face and ducked. With all the force she could muster, she wrenched free of his grip...

~~~~~

Staring at Mîrion and Telerea, "Rhyanna?" Tulcendor exclaimed, and then, "Hîr Mîrion... Rhyanna is frightened for Arthiel! - I - I don't know 'why', or 'how' I know it - but I do!"

Mîrion felt his gut squirm, and his heart beat madly. Arthiel...was in trouble? How? What? His mind was frantic, wondering what could possibly have happened to her. He was quick to jump to his feet and chase after Tulcendor who had rashly ran into the piercing light of the sun.

"Master Tulcendor, you must stay here, in the shack." Mîrion began quickly. He didn't know if Tulcendor would listen to him, who was so obviously worried for Rhyanna's safety. But Tulcendor running and searching the village for Rhyanna, would that be a wise decision? "I will go to the village and search out for Rhyanna, Aeldrid and my wife. I would not stop your going if you truly wish to see Rhyanna's safety for you own eyes, though...and what of you Lady Telerea?" He asked, looking in her direction.
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 03:53
Aeldrid sat up, half asleep. He'd been dreaming that Rhyanna was shaking his shoulder just a second ago. He turned. "Rhyanna..."

She wasn't there. Aeldrid stood and scanned the room; finding his open pack. He knelt beside it; a dagger was missing. Tugging on his boots and grabbing his sword, the young man swiftly came down the stairs and out the inn, barely catching sight of the little girl.

He ran to catch up as she stopped, stock still. He was about to ask her just what she was doing, when he followed her gaze, just as Arthiel wrenched free of a man's grip.

There were three all together. Aeldrid's young face hardened, his blue eyes becoming ice sharp. The young man strode forward, gently taking Arthiel's arm and pulling her behind him.

"Sirs." he said, his voice taut as a whip. "I would warn you that I am the protection of this lady and if you overstep any boudns, you will have to go through me first."

He turned his face a little. "My lady, take Rhyanna back to the inn and collect our things. We will as soon as possible."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email